PDA

View Full Version : J-Dawg & naturalguy: Powerlifting and Gainz

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26

naturalguy
01-18-13, 3:56 pm
Haha, that NG is real funny. Last year we had to call it off b/c he couldn't do reps.

No reps, last man standing max singles death match

Mr. Dead
01-18-13, 4:14 pm
I sense a great Rustling of the Jimmies:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40153-Pros-vs-Bros&p=1286225&viewfull=1#post1286225

Haha, that NG is real funny. Last year we had to call it off b/c he couldn't do reps.

Wut...???
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40153-Pros-vs-Bros&p=1286297&viewfull=1#post1286297

J-Dawg
01-18-13, 4:20 pm

Pros v Bros is usually for reps?

naturalguy
01-18-13, 4:46 pm
Pros v Bros is usually for reps?

Reps are for cardio bunnies

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
01-18-13, 4:51 pm
I thought it was supposed to go down on Sunday last year... ya know when J was a no show.

J-Dawg
01-21-13, 9:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ouQbZSheg

I thought it was supposed to go down on Sunday last year... ya know when J was a no show.

NG turned it down well before Sunday last year b/c he couldn't handle the reps, lol :(

J-Dawg
01-21-13, 9:08 am

Lower body @ Retro. Last squat & light deadlift session before the meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evdmbg2x9aU

Squats
Warmups
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 2
315 x 1
365 x 1

Deadlifts
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1

Barbell Hip Thrusts
135 x 8
135 x 8

Glute Machine Kickbacks
3 sets x 12

Leg Extensions
3 sets x 15

Bike
1mile

Stretching + foam rolling

naturalguy
01-21-13, 9:29 am
Last few workouts before the meet:

Friday benchapalooza with J-Dawg at the U:

Bench - just worked up to 275 for a single, felt great, light, the weight flew up. I will open with 290.

Followed that with triceps, rotator cuff & abs. Also did some rehab work on my lower back which has been strained since last Sunday.

Sunday squats at Skiba's:

Needed to test my lower back, worked up to 365 for a single, felt good and light, will open up with 400.

Did some rehab work on lower back, rotator cuff and abs. Lower back is feeling better and loose.

The rest of this week is time to rest up, I will do some light stuff, rotator cuffs, light triceps and lower back rehab work probably up until Wed and then shut it down.

Also adding in some extra servings of creatine this week, Universal creapure 10 grams per day to make sure I am fully saturated. I will weigh in on Friday morning. My weight this morning was 216.

Altered Beast
01-21-13, 9:58 am
GEEEEEEEEEZ! Stop straining stuff, would ya? =)

Won't that much creatine put on too much weight?

C.Coronato
01-21-13, 10:31 am
Only a few days left my friends.

naturalguy
01-21-13, 10:36 am
GEEEEEEEEEZ! Stop straining stuff, would ya? =)

Won't that much creatine put on too much weight?

I should be good with my weight, I'll monitor it but I have 4 lbs to play with

HIGA MONSTER
01-21-13, 11:00 am
Lol.

Post of the morning so far...

J-Dawg
01-21-13, 3:25 pm
I should be good with my weight, I'll monitor it but I have 4 lbs to play with

You'll be fine NG.

Lol.

Post of the morning so far...

HIGA--You should listen to him all day. He's got quotes out the wazoo, lol.

J-Dawg
01-21-13, 3:36 pm

Light training day at the UN HQ w/ NG. Trying to stay loose, keep the muscles activated but not overstressed. T-minus 5 days until the meet.

Bamboo Bar
3 sets x 20

DB Shoulder Press
3 light sets x 10

Side Laterals
3 light sets x 10

Front Raises
3 light sets x 10

Band Tricep Presses
60 reps over 3 sets

Incline DB Tricep Extensions
3 sets x 10

Tate Presses
3 sets x 10

Wrist Curls
3 sets x 15

Reverse Wrist Rope Curls
3 sets

Band Crunches
4 sets x 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTD6773wA58

J-Dawg
01-23-13, 3:44 pm

Visualization and staying loose.

Foam rolling + lacrosse ball massage - 15 min

Squat
3 sets w/ just the bar - picturing meet day and what will take place

Bench
3 sets w/ just the bar - same

Deadlifting

Sled pull
10 min of light walking (backward/forward)

Goal: PRs in all 3 lifts at the meet.

GUNS
01-23-13, 3:53 pm
J, the best of luck to you, NG and the boys this weekend! Kill the weights homie!

Altered Beast
01-23-13, 3:56 pm
YEAH BUDDY!!!!!!! Time 2 SHINE!

J-Dawg
01-23-13, 4:25 pm
J, the best of luck to you, NG and the boys this weekend! Kill the weights homie!

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the support! The goal is to hit some PRs at the meet and have fun with the crew!

GUNS
01-23-13, 4:28 pm
Fun is the name of the game, PR's are just a bonus!

naturalguy
01-23-13, 4:30 pm

Thanks GUNS!!!

I am itching to hit the weights come Saturday. Now it's rest and get my head right.

HIGA MONSTER
01-23-13, 5:00 pm
"Shine bright like a diamond...shine bright like a diamond..." Rihanna

Aggression
01-23-13, 5:01 pm

Visualization and staying loose.

Foam rolling + lacrosse ball massage - 15 min

Squat
3 sets w/ just the bar - picturing meet day and what will take place

Bench

Deadlifting

Sled pull
10 min of light walking (backward/forward)

Goal: PRs in all 3 lifts at the meet.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31947710.jpg

naturalguy
01-23-13, 5:04 pm

Rihanna is hardcore

Altered Beast
01-24-13, 8:47 am

I can't stand that Illuminati broad!

Still funny though =)

J-Dawg
01-24-13, 8:59 am

Time 2 Shine with a little Jersey angst from E Town Concrete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVN4sAQx2E

HIGA MONSTER
01-24-13, 9:43 am
I can't stand that Illuminati broad!

Still funny though =)
My daughters are always singing her songs in the car...kills me sometimes.

HIGA MONSTER

Shukin
01-28-13, 9:32 am
http://youtu.be/x9EumzQR65o

Shukin
01-28-13, 9:34 am
http://youtu.be/LFNor7Ij4rY

Altered Beast
01-28-13, 9:45 am
EVERYONE is hitting PR's! I love it!

I've noticed all you Jersey boys have large quads! Must be something in the water up there =)

Shukin
01-28-13, 9:46 am
I've noticed all you Jersey boys have large quads! Must be something in the water up there =)

It's just the high cut singlets......lol

Altered Beast
01-28-13, 9:50 am

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

J-Dawg
01-28-13, 1:38 pm
http://youtu.be/x9EumzQR65o

Thanks again for making these awesome videos Shukin. You rock!

EVERYONE is hitting PR's! I love it!

PRs all around!

But now we need larger squats!

Those singlets are something, haha.

shortstack
01-28-13, 1:59 pm
Both you guys did awesome. COngrats on the PR's and on a great meet.

Jeremy

Altered Beast
01-28-13, 2:07 pm
J, I really think you were trying to touch the floor with your ass on that 2nd Squat attempt! HOLY DEPTH! Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!

J-Dawg
01-28-13, 3:25 pm
1/26/13

2013 RPS North American & New Jersey State Championships
198lb raw classic amateur division. Weighed in @ 193.2
2nd place (out of 5 in the division)
Squat: 395/415 miss/415 - meet PR (+10lb)
Bench: 270/285 - meet PR (+5lb)/295 miss
Deadlift: 490/515/535 - meet PR and went up easy! (+25lb)
Total: 1235 - total meet PR of +75lb

Meet notes:
I had a serving of Shock Therapy upon waking and mixed up a 1.5 scoops of SportPharma Carb Max + opened Animal Nitro Caps + Beta Ala9 on the drive up. I wasn't hungry at all but forced down an apple and a waffle with honey while driving. I gotta admit on the drive up to the event I was extremely nervous and felt under the weather. It was about an 90 min drive up so I focused on hitting all of my lifts over and over again in my head to help calm my nerves. Upon reaching the venue, I met up with the crew and listened to the rules at 8am. After the rules portion, I hit up a 1/2 serving of Rage in Gatorade and foamed rolled. About 45 min prior to the start of the lifts, I starting warming up with the bar. For squats I used the following weights and as P Diesel suggested, I wrote them down prior to the meet so I wouldn't second guess anything or have to think on the fly...

Warmup Squats
Bar x 10
135 x 6
185 x 3
225 x 2
275 x 1
315 x 1
355 x 1
Meet Squats
395 x 1 - felt a bit awkward using the monolift and going straight down.
415 x miss - wasn't in the right groove and missed the lift
415 x 1 - got into a better frame of mind and hit it

After squats, I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich and an apple. I tried to stay hydrated throughout and drank some Atomic 7 w/ a little Carb Max mixed in. When it was getting close to bench time, I had a 1/2 scoop of Rage mixed with Atomic 7 45min out.

What to fix: I need to be more explosive out of the hole. If I don't train with a monolift up to the event, I will need to walk the weights out to prevent myself from starting from an awkward spot. I couldn't quite find the right foot placement on the lifts and that affected how I did the lift. I will do low box squats to work on hip strength and also deep hack squats so that I work on exploding out of the hole. Will also add in front squats and barbell hip thrusts on a more consistent basis. Also will make a decision on whether to continue with raw classic or switch to raw modern (where you can use knee wraps). I think the knee wraps would help immensely and I want to get used to how they feel.

Warmup Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
Meet Bench
270 x 1 - felt good
285 x 1 - felt good but I did the lift like a bodybuilding bench
295 x miss - had no leg drive and bench like a bb'er again

After bench, I had a 2nd peanut butter and honey sandwich with a yogurt and clif bar for carbs. It's important to focus on carbs throughout the day b/c that's what fuels you and keeps you going.

What to fix: I have poor (or no) leg drive on bench and need to incorporate leg drive. I also need to squeeze my shoulder blades back tighter and grip the bar tighter. I will use wrist wraps on heavier sets going forward too. I also want to work on tricep strength and incorporate more floor presses into the mix.

Warmup Deads
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 1
405 x 1
455 x 1
Meet Deads
490 x 1 - felt great
515 x 1 - felt great again
535 x 1 - felt great again - should have went for 550! But I'm happy to get this lift in the books. Now I know I have much more potential here.

These all felt great. Out of all my lifts, the deads were the best of the day. I have a lot more in the tank here and need to realize that even if you don't feel great with your squat and bench earlier in the day, the deadlift is a separate lift and to not bring mental baggage from those previous lifts to this lift. I do want to incorporate the 4" deficit deads that Dan Green talks about in his journey. I think these will help my lift off the floor.

Overall, the experience was awesome. It's a really good time lifting with a crew that supports each other like we do. I'm inspired by all my fellow Animal brethren hitting PRs and constantly stepping their game up. It motivates me to step up my game and I look forward to making improvements for the next meet. Henri Skiba mentioned in his post that it was based on a dare that he gave us all 3+ years ago as the reason why we did these meets. He's absolutely right. He convinced me to try it out over 3 years ago and I gotta say that I'm glad he did. If not for his challenge, I might not have gotten to experience this thing known as powerlifting. It's not time to step up and learn to improve where I can so that I can do better at the next meet!

J-Dawg
01-28-13, 3:27 pm
Both you guys did awesome. COngrats on the PR's and on a great meet.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!

J, I really think you were trying to touch the floor with your ass on that 2nd Squat attempt! HOLY DEPTH! Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!

I didn't realize how deep I went until I got stuck in the hole, lol! That's the reason I want to switch to knee wraps. The knee wraps help you out of the hole and with my depth, I may need that little extra boost.

GUNS
01-28-13, 4:07 pm
Love the write-up J! You know where you've been, you know where you are, and you know where you need to be! Keep after it and youll be better every time! Awesome lifting man!

freighttraindane
01-28-13, 4:12 pm
Great work at the meet J, solid lifts! like your write up and plan of action going forward

Kowboy
01-29-13, 9:55 am
1/26/13

2013 RPS North American & New Jersey State Championships
198lb raw classic amateur division. Weighed in @ 193.2
2nd place (out of 5 in the division)
Squat: 395/415 miss/415 - meet PR (+10lb)
Bench: 270/285 - meet PR (+5lb)/295 miss
Deadlift: 490/515/535 - meet PR and went up easy! (+25lb)
Total: 1235 - total meet PR of +75lb

Meet notes:
I had a serving of Shock Therapy upon waking and mixed up a 1.5 scoops of SportPharma Carb Max + opened Animal Nitro Caps + Beta Ala9 on the drive up. I wasn't hungry at all but forced down an apple and a waffle with honey while driving. I gotta admit on the drive up to the event I was extremely nervous and felt under the weather. It was about an 90 min drive up so I focused on hitting all of my lifts over and over again in my head to help calm my nerves. Upon reaching the venue, I met up with the crew and listened to the rules at 8am. After the rules portion, I hit up a 1/2 serving of Rage in Gatorade and foamed rolled. About 45 min prior to the start of the lifts, I starting warming up with the bar. For squats I used the following weights and as P Diesel suggested, I wrote them down prior to the meet so I wouldn't second guess anything or have to think on the fly...

Warmup Squats
Bar x 10
135 x 6
185 x 3
225 x 2
275 x 1
315 x 1
355 x 1
Meet Squats
395 x 1 - felt a bit awkward using the monolift and going straight down.
415 x miss - wasn't in the right groove and missed the lift
415 x 1 - got into a better frame of mind and hit it

After squats, I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich and an apple. I tried to stay hydrated throughout and drank some Atomic 7 w/ a little Carb Max mixed in. When it was getting close to bench time, I had a 1/2 scoop of Rage mixed with Atomic 7 45min out.

What to fix: I need to be more explosive out of the hole. If I don't train with a monolift up to the event, I will need to walk the weights out to prevent myself from starting from an awkward spot. I couldn't quite find the right foot placement on the lifts and that affected how I did the lift. I will do low box squats to work on hip strength and also deep hack squats so that I work on exploding out of the hole. Will also add in front squats and barbell hip thrusts on a more consistent basis. Also will make a decision on whether to continue with raw classic or switch to raw modern (where you can use knee wraps). I think the knee wraps would help immensely and I want to get used to how they feel.

Warmup Bench
Bar x 15
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
Meet Bench
270 x 1 - felt good
285 x 1 - felt good but I did the lift like a bodybuilding bench
295 x miss - had no leg drive and bench like a bb'er again

After bench, I had a 2nd peanut butter and honey sandwich with a yogurt and clif bar for carbs. It's important to focus on carbs throughout the day b/c that's what fuels you and keeps you going.

What to fix: I have poor (or no) leg drive on bench and need to incorporate leg drive. I also need to squeeze my shoulder blades back tighter and grip the bar tighter. I will use wrist wraps on heavier sets going forward too. I also want to work on tricep strength and incorporate more floor presses into the mix.

Warmup Deads
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 1
405 x 1
455 x 1
Meet Deads
490 x 1 - felt great
515 x 1 - felt great again
535 x 1 - felt great again - should have went for 550! But I'm happy to get this lift in the books. Now I know I have much more potential here.

These all felt great. Out of all my lifts, the deads were the best of the day. I have a lot more in the tank here and need to realize that even if you don't feel great with your squat and bench earlier in the day, the deadlift is a separate lift and to not bring mental baggage from those previous lifts to this lift. I do want to incorporate the 4" deficit deads that Dan Green talks about in his journey. I think these will help my lift off the floor.

Overall, the experience was awesome. It's a really good time lifting with a crew that supports each other like we do. I'm inspired by all my fellow Animal brethren hitting PRs and constantly stepping their game up. It motivates me to step up my game and I look forward to making improvements for the next meet. Henri Skiba mentioned in his post that it was based on a dare that he gave us all 3+ years ago as the reason why we did these meets. He's absolutely right. He convinced me to try it out over 3 years ago and I gotta say that I'm glad he did. If not for his challenge, I might not have gotten to experience this thing known as powerlifting. It's not time to step up and learn to improve where I can so that I can do better at the next meet!

Awesome job and awesome write up. I am stealing your nutrition to use for my comp Saturday. Guns said PB and Honey and said it is what you did. Any tips for me?

Shukin
01-29-13, 3:40 pm
Nice recap J-Dawg.

Any word from Henri? I just called the number from the website and got an automated messaging system, hope it was the correct number.
Thanks,
Shukin

J-Dawg
01-29-13, 4:52 pm
Love the write-up J! You know where you've been, you know where you are, and you know where you need to be! Keep after it and youll be better every time! Awesome lifting man!

Thanks GUNS! You learn a lot when doing these meets--The experience teaches you everything and helps you spot out your strengths and weaknesses!

Great work at the meet J, solid lifts! like your write up and plan of action going forward

Thanks Dane--Time to move forward and improve!

Awesome job and awesome write up. I am stealing your nutrition to use for my comp Saturday. Guns said PB and Honey and said it is what you did. Any tips for me?

The PB and honey sandwiches were great during the meet. I found that a few of those in between lifts along with some fruit or yogurt provided me with quick and sustained nutrition for each lift. Another key is staying hydrated--I liked the mix of CarbMax and Atomic 7 throughout the meet. And also a 1/2 serving or Animal Rage in between each of the 3 lifts. I tried to save all of my energy in between the lifts and foam rolled for a bit in between and then just sat and relaxed until warmups began for the next lift. We had about 3-4 hours in between lifts so there was quite a bit of rest in between! For warmups--have these ready to go in your head ahead of time b/c then it's less to think about or second guess that day.

What lifts will you be doing? Have you planned your openers yet? Big Al gave me this advice on the lifts which I liked--Stay focused on hitting some good openers (something you know you can hit on your worst day) to get in the books and then go for your best gym lifts on your 2nd attempt and for the 3rd, you can shoot for PRs! Good luck and I'll peek in your journey to see how you do!

Nice recap J-Dawg.

Any word from Henri? I just called the number from the website and got an automated messaging system, hope it was the correct number.
Thanks,
Shukin

Thanks Shukin. I will check with Eric to see if that number is correct.

Shukin
01-29-13, 5:28 pm
. I will check with Eric to see if that number is correct.

And tell NG his inbox is full.

J-Dawg
01-29-13, 5:38 pm
And tell NG his inbox is full.

And while I'm at it, we might as well throw in a ban for him, lol.

Shukin
01-29-13, 5:48 pm
And while I'm at it, we might as well throw in a ban for him, lol.

Just don't mention Bros. vs. Pros........lol

Kowboy
01-29-13, 8:29 pm
I am doing a strongman event.

max effort log press: starts at 225 goes up by 10 last man standing
18" deadlift max effort: starts at 450 up by 25 last man standing
Husafel Stone carry max distance w/ 225lb stone
Grip medley

Altered Beast
01-30-13, 8:46 am
Sounds like fun!

naturalguy
01-30-13, 9:22 am
You guys are funny talking about me when I am not here

naturalguy
01-30-13, 9:35 am
Here is my thoughts on the meet:

First off lifting with they boys made the day special. It's awesome to lift with your family and everyone helping each other out.

As for my performance, I had a great day. I put on 70 lbs on my total and finished 2nd in the open, 1st in the masters 220 raw classic division.

Squats:

400 - two red lights for depth. I've never been red lighted for depth before but the judges on this day were extra strict. This through off my original plan however which was to go 400, 425, 450. I could have jumped to 425 on the 2nd attempt but I needed to book at least one good lift so I did 400 again.

400 - good

435 - good. This was a 5lb PR. I didn't get to try 450

Bench:

290 - flew up

315 - flew up

340 - grinder but got it, new PR by 4lbs

Deads:

490 - went up pretty easy and funny thing is on my last warm up (455) the weights felt heavy and I thought to myself "oh shit, I am in trouble" lol but once I got on the platform the adrenaline kicked in

525 - done

550 - this weight has haunted me, I missed it at two meets in a row but on this day I nailed it!! new PR

1325 total

Now how I finished 2nd. I was ahead of the guy behind me by 60 lbs going into the deadlift but I knew he was a good deadlifter as I saw his opener. I hit my 550 on my 3rd attempt which meant he had to do at least 610 to tie me. He nailed 615 and beat me by 5lbs total. I went over and shook his hand, he deserved to win with that great pull. Of course I wish I would have done more weight on one of my lifts to win but you live and learn.

Much like J-Dawg I ate PB & J's and fruit in between attempts. They digest easy for me and that is key on meet day.

Here is my vid and some pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWFLxkcsJA

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS6.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS7.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS4.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS3.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS1.jpg

naturalguy
01-30-13, 9:37 am
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS9.jpg

My coach/mentor Skiba:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS10.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/2013%20RPS%20NJ%20State/2013RPS11.jpg

Shukin
01-30-13, 9:43 am
Great photos, and an even better job, well done.

naturalguy
01-30-13, 9:57 am
Great photos, and an even better job, well done.

Thanks Shuk. My pm's should be open now

Shukin
01-30-13, 9:59 am
My pm's should be open now

No worries, I spoke with Skiba last night, he said he will call today with his numbers. I didn't know T-Dirty and the guy in the red shirt and borrowed singlet were related....

GUNS
01-30-13, 10:01 am
Solid work NG! Congrats on the PR's! And the engagement!

Shukin
01-30-13, 10:11 am

Where does it say he got engaged? I missed that.

naturalguy
01-30-13, 10:12 am

thanks

Where does it say he got engaged? I missed that.

I pulled the trigger Sunday morning

Shukin
01-30-13, 10:15 am
thanks

Congratulations! Best future to you and yours.

GUNS
01-30-13, 10:20 am
thanks

Oh did I let the cat outta the bag here! lol!

Altered Beast
01-30-13, 10:33 am
KUDOS! Have I started a trend? =P

J-Dawg
01-30-13, 5:10 pm
Oh did I let the cat outta the bag here! lol!

Hit PRs on Sat and get engaged Sun--Nice NG. Congrats!

G Diesel
01-30-13, 5:13 pm

Awesome to see good things happen to good people.

Peace, G

J-Dawg
02-01-13, 4:08 pm
I came across this touching story and wanted to post it here...

Strongest Dad in the World by Rick Reilly

Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars – all in the same day.

Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. on a bike. Makes taking your son bowling look a little lame, right?

And what has Rick done for his father? Not much – except save his life.

This love story began in Winchester, Mass., 43 years ago, when Rick was strangled by the umbilical cord during birth, leaving him brain-damaged and unable to control his limbs.

"He'll be a vegetable the rest of his life," Dick says doctors told him and his wife, Judy, when Rick was nine months old. "Put him in an institution."

But the Hoyts weren't buying it. They noticed the way Rick's eyes followed them around the room. When Rick was 11 they took him to the engineering department at Tufts University and asked if there was anything to help the boy communicate. "No way," Dick says he was told. "There's nothing going on in his brain."

"Tell him a joke," Dick countered. They did. Rick laughed. Turns out a lot was going on in his brain.

Rigged up with a computer that allowed him to control the cursor by touching a switch with the side of his head, Rick was finally able to communicate. First words? "Go Bruins!" And after a high school classmate was paralyzed in an accident and the school organized a charity run for him, Rick pecked out, "Dad, I want to do that."

Yeah, right. How was Dick, a self-described "porker" who never ran more than a mile at a time, going to push his son five miles? Still, he tried. "Then it was me who was handicapped," Dick says. "I was sore for two weeks."

That day changed Rick's life. "Dad," he typed, "when we were running, it felt like I wasn't disabled anymore!"

And that sentence changed Dick's life. He became obsessed with giving Rick that feeling as often as he could. He got into such hard-belly shape that he and Rick were ready to try the 1979 Boston Marathon.

"No way," Dick was told by a race official. The Hoyts weren't quite a single runner, and they weren't quite a wheelchair competitor. For a few years Dick and Rick just joined the massive field and ran anyway. Then they found a way to get into the race officially: In 1983 they ran another marathon so fast they made the qualifying time for Boston the following year.

Then somebody said, "Hey, Dick, why not a triathlon?"

How's a guy who never learned to swim and hadn't ridden a bike since he was six going to haul his 110-pound kid through a triathlon? Still, Dick tried.

Now they've done 212 triathlons, including four grueling 15-hour Ironmans in Hawaii. It must be a buzzkill to be a 25-year-old stud getting passed by an old guy towing a grown man in a dinghy, don't you think?

Hey, Dick, why not see how you'd do on your own? "No way," he says. Dick does it purely for "the awesome feeling" he gets seeing Rick with a cantaloupe smile as they run, swim and ride together.

This year, at ages 65 and 43, Dick and Rick finished their 24th Boston Marathon, in 5,083rd place out of more than 20,000 starters. Their best time? Two hours, 40 minutes in 1992 – only 35 minutes off the world record, which, in case you don't keep track of these things, happens to be held by a guy who was not pushing another man in a wheelchair at the time.

"No question about it," Rick types. "My dad is the Father of the Century."

And Dick got something else out of all this too. Two years ago he had a mild heart attack during a race. Doctors found that one of his arteries was 95% clogged. "If you hadn't been in such great shape," one doctor told him, "you probably would've died 15 years ago."

So, in a way, Dick and Rick saved each other's life.

Rick, who has his own apartment (he gets home care) and works in Boston, and Dick, retired from the military and living in Holland, Mass., always find ways to be together. They give speeches around the country and compete in some backbreaking race every weekend, including this Father's Day.

That night, Rick will buy his dad dinner, but the thing he really wants to give him is a gift he can never buy. "The thing I'd most like," Rick types, "is that my dad sit in the chair and I push him once."

There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...Have a great life.

J-Dawg
02-01-13, 4:14 pm

Benchapalooza. Trained w/ NG. Back on the grind after taking a few days off post-meet.

Bench Press
Warmups
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
Nothing crazy today but working on my form for all sets.

Bamboo Bench
4 sets x 15

Tricep Bands
3 sets x 25

Getting back into the groove this week and looking to turn it up a notch next week.

J-Dawg
02-03-13, 2:36 pm

Starting The Cube Method today. I've never been a fan of programs but there comes a time when you want to improve and you have to take in the advice of those who have put in more time that you have in a respective area. I like Brandon Lilly's take on powerlifting and feel comfortable enough with his ideas to give it a shot.

Day 1 - Squat Explosion
Squat @ 60%max - 8 sets x 3 reps
Bar x 10
Bar x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
All were explosive reps out of the hole. Bar tight on the traps. Sat back and exploded up with my hips. Paused at the top and exploded at the bottom.

Front Squats - 5 sets x 5 reps
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5
Need to do these more often so that I can handle more weight on my delts. Last few sets I was getting out of breath on, lol.

Leg Press - 4 sets x 15
3pps x 15
4pps x 15
4pps x 15
4pps x 15
I go deep on these so that I can feel it in my hips and hamstrings. No half reps here.

Glute Kickbacks - 3 sets x 12
60lb x 12
80lb x 12
100lb x 12

DB Swings - 3 sets x 15
25lb x 15
25lb x 15
25lb x 15
Weight was light but I was really getting out of breath on these.

Treadmill ~1 mile @ 3-3.2speed for ~20min

First day of The Cube in the books and I like it. I like the concept of rotating the rep days, explosion days and heavy days along with the bodybuilding-like day each week. Looking forward to seeing how my body responds to the method. My biggest issue with training the past 1/2 year is that I felt beat up and run down from always trying to hit different types of PRs each week.

Shukin
02-03-13, 3:35 pm
Get some!

GUNS
02-03-13, 9:01 pm
Looking forward to see how you like this! Or dont!

deanna7272
02-03-13, 11:39 pm
Hoping to get to meet Brandon in Cbus... A coworker of mine asked me if I knew anything about Brandon or the Cube Method... I told him yes and he tells me that he had Brandon in school when he first started teaching... Pretty neat...

deanna7272
02-03-13, 11:45 pm
Hoping to get to meet Brandon in Cbus... A coworker of mine asked me if I knew anything about Brandon or the Cube Method... I told him yes and he tells me that he had Brandon in school when he first started teaching... Pretty neat...

Now reading through the whole post, the method catches my eye also... I am in the final stretch of a 10 week program and it may be something that I can use... Hmmm...

naturalguy
02-04-13, 8:39 am

Awesome to see good things happen to good people.

Peace, G

Thanks fellas

naturalguy
02-04-13, 8:39 am
I am getting on the Cube this week myself, let's take this for a ride

Shukin
02-04-13, 8:47 am

Do some video of it too please.

naturalguy
02-04-13, 8:50 am

Sure, J and I will take some vids along the way

Shukin
02-04-13, 8:52 am

it be cool to see how you guys react.

J-Dawg
02-04-13, 9:10 am
Get some!

Yes!

Looking forward to see how you like this! Or dont!

Only time will tell but I have a feeling it'll be what I need!

That is pretty neat! What did he have to say about him, lol?

Now reading through the whole post, the method catches my eye also... I am in the final stretch of a 10 week program and it may be something that I can use... Hmmm...

It may be something to look into. I feel that it'll work to improve my weaknesses--explosivenss/stamina and long term it will increase my overall strength.

Nice NG. Today will be the bodybuilding-like workout--Shoulder press, biceps, triceps, other weak areas over 5-7 exercises.

J-Dawg
02-04-13, 9:14 am

it be cool to see how you guys react.

Good call Shukin. We'll need to do more vids this time around!

deanna7272
02-04-13, 10:43 am
That is pretty neat! What did he have to say about him, lol?

He said, "he was just a little guy when I had him (High School)... You gotta meet him, just look for the beard." I told him that he's definitely not going to stand out in Cbus, the BEARD is pretty much "the thing" nowadays...lol.

GUNS
02-04-13, 10:50 am
He said, "he was just a little guy when I had him (High School)... You gotta meet him, just look for the beard." I told him that he's definitely not going to stand out in Cbus, the BEARD is pretty much "the thing" nowadays...lol.

Mine will be shaved off then, I hate being tagged as someone doing what everyone else is doing!

Altered Beast
02-04-13, 11:14 am
Mine will be shaved off then, I hate being tagged as someone doing what everyone else is doing!

Dave Hoff said the shaven baby face is the new hardcore =)

Mr. Dead
02-04-13, 11:46 am
Nice work, J...!!! Judging from the looks, though, I guess NG is on another deload... *LOL* BTW... Congrats on the engagement, NG...!!!

deanna7272
02-04-13, 12:16 pm

Maybe they are just doing what YOU are doing??? Hmmmm....

I can't see them without the beards now...lol. It seems "normal" to expect it... I do wonder how many Grizzly Adamseque beard we will see at the Arnold this year....

Altered Beast
02-04-13, 1:37 pm
I can't see them without the beards now...lol. It seems "normal" to expect it... I do wonder how many Grizzly Adamseque beard we will see at the Arnold this year....

LOL! Should be fun to see!

Buncha Wendler wanna bes!

BigAnt
02-04-13, 1:43 pm
Do you still train at Skiba's every Sunday...Would like to get in a squat workout with you when I have off...cool?

naturalguy
02-04-13, 1:58 pm
Do you still train at Skiba's every Sunday...Would like to get in a squat workout with you when I have off...cool?

Pretty much every Sunday unless I have a family obligation. You are welcome anytime.

J-Dawg
02-04-13, 4:10 pm

Haha, that's awesome. Yeah, the beard is the look these days!

LOL--That's usually what happens. When everyone starts doing the same thing, it's no longer cool!

In the end, the heavy lifting is what's hardcore, haha.

Nice work, J...!!! Judging from the looks, though, I guess NG is on another deload... *LOL* BTW... Congrats on the engagement, NG...!!!

Thanks MD! Actually NG is going to try out The Cube Method as well. We're quite intrigued by it and want to give it a shot.

Yeah, once they have the beards, you can't picture them without it, lol.

smoothballer
02-04-13, 10:16 pm
Are you guys working with Lilly or on your own?

C.Coronato
02-05-13, 8:53 am
Lots of Cubiness in here.

Uh ohhhh...

naturalguy
02-05-13, 9:31 am

On our own but we sure as heck are going to pick his brain when we meet him at The Cage

Uh ohhhh...

Cubiness = hugeness

Kowboy
02-05-13, 9:32 am
I really need to get a copy of hte powerlifting version and see how it compares to the strongman. I am really thinking of combining them both.

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 10:37 am

Just on our own for now. But it will be cool to talk with him at The Cage!

Uh ohhhh...

Totally cubed in here, haha.

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 10:39 am
On our own but we sure as heck are going to pick his brain when we meet him at The Cage

Cubiness = hugeness

Cubeness = Hugeness. I like that, haha.

I really need to get a copy of hte powerlifting version and see how it compares to the strongman. I am really thinking of combining them both.

Wow, I didn't realize there was a strongman version as well!

freighttraindane
02-05-13, 10:39 am
Pumped to see what you guys think of the Cube. I am on week 7 of my Cube Testor training and love it so far. Lilly has a wealth of knowledge. I agree, its gonna be cool to talk with him in the Cage

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 11:04 am

Cube Method - Bodybuilding Day

Fat Gripz Standing Shoulder Press - 3 sets x 10
Warmups
Bar x 10
75lb x 10
95lb x 10
Work sets
115lb x 10
135lb x 10
135lb x 10
Paused each rep at the top and started each rep below my chin. Haven't been able to hit military presses hard since messing up my scalene muscles and felt pretty good on these. Just got fatigued b/c I'm not used to the reps.

Seated Side Laterals Superset w/ Seated Rear Laterals 3 sets x 12
10s x 12
15s x 12
20s x 12

15s x 12
15s x 12
15s x 12

Bicep Curls w/ Fat Gripz on EZ Curl Bar- 4 sets x 12-15
55lb x 15
65lb x 15
75lb x 15
75lb x 12

Incline DB Tricep Extensions 5 sets x 12
20s x 15
20s x 15
25s x 12
30s x 12
30s x 12

Tricep Band Presses
100 reps

Wrist Curls w/ Rope
5 sets x failure

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 11:06 am
Pumped to see what you guys think of the Cube. I am on week 7 of my Cube Testor training and love it so far. Lilly has a wealth of knowledge. I agree, its gonna be cool to talk with him in the Cage

Dane--That's awesome to hear. I'm definitely looking forward to running this for awhile. Will you be testing out your 1 rep maxes in the 10th week?

freighttraindane
02-05-13, 11:07 am
Dane--That's awesome to hear. I'm definitely looking forward to running this for awhile. Will you be testing out your 1 rep maxes in the 10th week?

Yeah, thats the plan. Then I am pretty sure I am gonna run another 10 week cycle after

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 12:18 pm
Yeah, thats the plan. Then I am pretty sure I am gonna run another 10 week cycle after

Nice! I'm looking to hit up a PL meet in May so I'm trying to see if I should still hit new maxes 10 weeks in or wait until the meet to try it out. I might have to hit up Lilly to see what he'd suggest. Right it would be 15 weeks out.

GUNS
02-05-13, 12:30 pm
Nice! I'm looking to hit up a PL meet in May so I'm trying to see if I should still hit new maxes 10 weeks in or wait until the meet to try it out. I might have to hit up Lilly to see what he'd suggest. Right it would be 15 weeks out.

PR's every week, dont be scared!

Altered Beast
02-05-13, 2:18 pm
Y'all are going to really enjoy the Cube Method!

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 3:15 pm
PR's every week, dont be scared!

That was what I tried before, haha. My body didn't respond so well though :(

Y'all are going to really enjoy the Cube Method!

I'm looking forward to it!

J-Dawg
02-05-13, 3:17 pm

Conditioning Day

Bike - 25 min total

Seated Calf Raises w/ Leg Press Calf Raises
3 sets each x 15

Rope Crunches
4 sets x 15

Ab Coaster (lower abs
2 sets x 12

Freakshowelite
02-05-13, 3:19 pm

Fat Gripz Standing Shoulder Press - 3 sets x 10
Warmups
Bar x 10
75lb x 10
95lb x 10
Work sets
115lb x 10
135lb x 10
135lb x 10
Paused each rep at the top and started each rep below my chin. Haven't been able to hit military presses hard since messing up my scalene muscles and felt pretty good on these. Just got fatigued b/c I'm not used to the reps.

10s x 12
15s x 12
20s x 12

15s x 12
15s x 12
15s x 12

Bicep Curls w/ Fat Gripz on EZ Curl Bar- 4 sets x 12-15
55lb x 15
65lb x 15
75lb x 15
75lb x 12

Incline DB Tricep Extensions 5 sets x 12
20s x 15
20s x 15
25s x 12
30s x 12
30s x 12

Tricep Band Presses
100 reps

Wrist Curls w/ Rope
5 sets x failure

I like the fat grips with the presses. I love pressing with an axel bar but dont always have access to one, the fat grips help simulate it. The bigger great increase the amount of muscle recruitment from your hand on up

J-Dawg
02-06-13, 3:35 pm
I like the fat grips with the presses. I love pressing with an axel bar but dont always have access to one, the fat grips help simulate it. The bigger great increase the amount of muscle recruitment from your hand on up

I agree Freakshow. The fat grips really help recruit that extra muscle fiber! I definitely plan to start using these more this time around.

J-Dawg
02-06-13, 3:44 pm

Deadlift Day - Reps (Week 1)

Deficit Deads (on top of 45lb plate) 1 Set x 8 Reps @ 70%
Warmups
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 2
365 x 8
No belt for all sets. Trying not to use one until the sets get heavy.
All reps were paused at the bottom and held at the top.

Rack Deads (below knee) 2 Sets x 3 Reps @ 80%
225 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3
365 x 3
No belt again. These were harder than I thought but felt good.

Barbell Rows - 3 sets x 8 @ 50-70%
135 x 8
185 x 8
205 x 8

Glute Ham Raises - 3 Sets x 8 Reps
Bodyweight x 3 sets x 8 reps

Leg Curls - 50 Reps
60lb x 20
60lb x 15
60lb x 15

Totally fried after this workout. Feels great though. It's helping to increase my endurance and allowing me to improve/correct form with submax weights.

naturalguy
02-06-13, 3:45 pm
The Cube w/J-Dawg:
Monday I did a bodybuilding workout w/J-Dawg at the U - shoulders & bi's

Fat Gripz standing military presses:

3 x 10 reps

seated side laterals:

3 x 10

bent laterals:

3 x 10

EZ curl bar w/Fat Grips:

4 x 12-15 reps

Abs, rotator cuff, light tricep bands

Tuesday - cardio 30 minutes recumbent bike at Retro Fitness New Brunswick

Wed with J-Dawg at the U-
Deficit deads (rep work):

365 x 6 reps (fell 2 reps shy of goal)

Rack pulls (standing on a 45 plate):

365 x 3
365 x 3

Bent over rows:

3 x 8

Glute Ham Raises:

3 x 8

Lying leg curls:

50 reps total (20, 15, 15)

Abs

GUNS
02-06-13, 5:33 pm
Solid work fellas!

J-Dawg
02-07-13, 3:31 pm
Solid work fellas!

Thanks GUNS!

J-Dawg
02-07-13, 3:32 pm

Conditioning Day @ Retro w.. NG

Treadmill @ 3.5 and 3.0 incline
30 min = ~1.6 miles

Ab Coaster (lower abs)
4 sets x 12

Decline Crunches
4 sets x 12

J-Dawg
02-08-13, 4:30 pm

Bench Day - Heavy (Week 1)

Floor Press 5 Sets x 2 Reps @ 80%
Warmups
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 2
Work Sets
225 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2

Bamboo Press 2/ 45lb per side
45lb per side x 15
45lb per side x 15
These feel great - help to heal shoulder

Band Pressdown
4 sets x 25

20s x 10
30s x 8
30s x 8
30s x 8

Lat Pulldowns
4 sets x 12

Rear Lateral Work
2 sets x 10

Band Crunches
2 sets x 15

Great overall workout. Feeling pumped and not overly drained this week.

GUNS
02-08-13, 4:40 pm
Strong pressin J! Like the way this is put together!

naturalguy
02-08-13, 6:10 pm

Bench Day - Heavy (Week 1)

Floor Press 5 Sets x 2 Reps @ 80%
Warmups
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 2
Work Sets
225 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2

Bamboo Press 2/ 45lb per side
45lb per side x 15
45lb per side x 15
These feel great - help to heal shoulder

Band Pressdown
4 sets x 25

20s x 10
30s x 8
30s x 8
30s x 8

Lat Pulldowns
4 sets x 12

Rear Lateral Work
2 sets x 10

Band Crunches
2 sets x 15

Great overall workout. Feeling pumped and not overly drained this week.

I did the same workout except I did 260 on the floor presses. Great workout. So far I am liking the Cube.

OklahomaMuscle
02-08-13, 9:03 pm
I did the same workout except I did 260 on the floor presses. Great workout. So far I am liking the Cube.

The cube is definitely a solid program, really wish I could make it to the cage to hear Lilly, After work took me out of the gym for almost 2 years the CUBE and hard work have me back smashing old PR's in only one cycle, plus I'm 20lbs lighter! Great work fellas

naturalguy
02-09-13, 3:03 pm
The cube is definitely a solid program, really wish I could make it to the cage to hear Lilly, After work took me out of the gym for almost 2 years the CUBE and hard work have me back smashing old PR's in only one cycle, plus I'm 20lbs lighter! Great work fellas

Nice, too bad you can't make it. I am looking forward to meeting him also.

naturalguy
02-09-13, 3:04 pm
If shoveling snow counts as cardio/conditioning then I did that this morning. I was loading up the shovel and pushing it like it was the prowler

J-Dawg
02-09-13, 5:37 pm
Strong pressin J! Like the way this is put together!

Thanks GUNS! Trying to get my presses up. The program is pretty solid. It should fix a few of my weaknesses!

Good work today NG.

That's awesome to hear! It seems like a very balanced program for working the PL movements which I like.

If shoveling snow counts as cardio/conditioning then I did that this morning. I was loading up the shovel and pushing it like it was the prowler

Nice NG. I think that can count for conditioning, haha.

J-Dawg
02-09-13, 5:46 pm

Week 2 Cube - Squats (Heavy)

Squat @ 80% - 5 sets x 2 reps
Warmups
Bar
Bar
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2
Work Sets
335 x 2
335 x 2
335 x 2
335 x 2
335 x 2

Good Mornings - 3 sets x 8 reps
135 x 8
155 x 8
155 x 8

Leg Press - 3 sets x 20
3pps x 20
3pps x 20
3pps x 20

Lunges - 3 sets x 12 reps
25lb DBs x 12 reps per leg

Back Extensions - 60 reps
20 reps
15 reps
15 reps
10 reps

Leg Curls - 50 reps
30lb x 25
40lb x 25

Hit all planned numbers and am feeling like this is pushing my endurance up without taxing my immune, nervous, endocrine system. Working hard and enjoying the program so far.

This song gets me in the right mood for training no matter what--Mentally calming yet fires me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql_FlBDyBVU

naturalguy
02-09-13, 6:44 pm
Good workout J. I'll hit squats tomorrow

GUNS
02-09-13, 8:37 pm
Do you feel like you are having to push yourself at all! Your making all the planned number, easy, hard?

Good work J!

naturalguy
02-11-13, 9:23 am
Sunday Squats (explosive) at Skiba's:

Squat (60%):

250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3

Skiba had me go a little wider than normal and I worked on going down a little faster, I tend to go down too slow. Felt good though. We had a great atmosphere in the gym, some new guys from Bayonne showed up and squatted with us and they were also doing some strongman training.

Good mornings with safety squat bar:

3 sets x 8 reps

Reverse hypers:

3 x 12 reps

Abs

J-Dawg
02-11-13, 10:14 am
Do you feel like you are having to push yourself at all! Your making all the planned number, easy, hard?

Good work J!

For this first wave, I still feel like I'm pushing myself but more in terms of fixing my form and via increasing endurance. What I think the programs helps address is working with realistic weights in a manner that still pushes you but allows you to work on better form and hitting more sets with still heavy weight. But in the past, I felt like I was attempting some sort of weight PR each week and that taxed the heck out of my body and my form and muscles suffered b/c of it. This lets you work the muscle in a more strategic manner!

Sunday Squats (explosive) at Skiba's:

Squat (60%):

250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3
250 x 3

Skiba had me go a little wider than normal and I worked on going down a little faster, I tend to go down too slow. Felt good though. We had a great atmosphere in the gym, some new guys from Bayonne showed up and squatted with us and they were also doing some strongman training.

Good mornings with safety squat bar:

3 sets x 8 reps

Reverse hypers:

3 x 12 reps

Abs

Great work NG!

GUNS
02-11-13, 1:28 pm
[QUOTE=J-Dawg;1293808]For this first wave, I still feel like I'm pushing myself but more in terms of fixing my form and via increasing endurance. What I think the programs helps address is working with realistic weights in a manner that still pushes you but allows you to work on better form and hitting more sets with still heavy weight. But in the past, I felt like I was attempting some sort of weight PR each week and that taxed the heck out of my body and my form and muscles suffered b/c of it. This lets you work the muscle in a more strategic manner!

QUOTE]Sounds good! I fully understand trying to hit PR's every week and being destroyed!

J-Dawg
02-11-13, 4:00 pm
Sounds good! I fully understand trying to hit PR's every week and being destroyed!

Yep--Those PRs destroy us the more frequently we attempt them.

naturalguy
02-11-13, 4:18 pm
Cube week 2 - bodybuilding day

Military press w/bamboo bar (video below):

5 sets x 10 reps

Seated side laterals super set with rear laterals facing incline bench:

4 sets x 10 reps

Standing EZ curl bar curls w/fat gripz:

4 x 10-15 reps

Tricep band extensions:

4 x 25 reps

rotator cuff and grip work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ACmPu_VBk&feature=youtu.be

GUNS
02-11-13, 4:19 pm
Yep--Those PRs destroy us the more frequently we attempt them.

And we aint gettin any younger, hahahaha! No excuses though!

GUNS
02-11-13, 4:26 pm
That looks tough as hell fellas!! Do you feel a big difference in the bamboo bar vs a bb with the weights hung the same way?

Nix0r
02-11-13, 4:28 pm
Can I steal your bamboo bar?

naturalguy
02-11-13, 4:29 pm
That looks tough as hell fellas!! Do you feel a big difference in the bamboo bar vs a bb with the weights hung the same way?

Huge difference, much harder with the bamboo bar as it flexes and is very unstable

Nope...................because it's Skiba's, so if you take it, you are taking his. We borrowed it from him.

J-Dawg
02-11-13, 4:41 pm

Standing Bamboo Bar Shoulder Press - 3 sets x 10
Warmups
Bar x 15
10lb pps x 10
25lb pps x 10
Work sets
35lb pps x 10
45lb pps x 10
45lb pps x 10

Seated Side Laterals Superset w/ Seated Rear Laterals 4 sets x 12
15lb x 12
15lb x 12
15lb x 12
15lb x 12

Bicep Curls w/ Fat Gripz on EZ Curl Bar- 4 sets x 15
55lb x 15
75lb x 15
75lb x 15
75lb x 15

Tricep Band Presses
125 reps over 5 sets

Wrist Curls w/ Rope
5 sets x failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ACmPu_VBk&feature=youtu.be

J-Dawg
02-11-13, 4:44 pm
And we aint gettin any younger, hahahaha! No excuses though!

Indeed, haha! I'm trying to pace myself for some PRs at the next meet though!

Definitely! Like NG said the bamboo bar is super flexible so it's constantly moving as you do the movement. But it's great for hitting the stabilizers!

When NG isn't looking, you can grab it, haha. And then we'll blame NG for losing it.

J-Dawg
02-12-13, 12:49 pm
A year straight of Animal M-Stak (sans red pill)? http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40305

Mr. Dead
02-12-13, 12:54 pm
A year straight of Animal M-Stak (sans red pill)? http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40305

Now... What kind of a goofball would be trying such a thing...??? And who's the crazy person that talked them into it...???

Wait... Whut...??? *LOL*

Actually going to follow, and see how this goes down...!!!

J-Dawg
02-12-13, 1:19 pm
Now... What kind of a goofball would be trying such a thing...??? And who's the crazy person that talked them into it...???

Wait... Whut...??? *LOL*

Actually going to follow, and see how this goes down...!!!

Haha. It's something NG and I discussed awhile back. We want to tap into the full powers of M-Stak, particular the adaptogens and nutrient partitioning agents and give it a run for a year straight.

Altered Beast
02-12-13, 1:23 pm
Haha. It's something NG and I discussed awhile back. We want to tap into the full powers of M-Stak, particular the adaptogens and nutrient partitioning agents and give it a run for a year straight.

Take 2 Packs! One first thing in the morning and one pre-workout on training days!

J-Dawg
02-12-13, 1:42 pm
Take 2 Packs! One first thing in the morning and one pre-workout on training days!

That's crazy talk...

But I like it! Haha.

Altered Beast
02-12-13, 1:48 pm
I'm a crazy individual if you didn't already notice!

naturalguy
02-12-13, 3:02 pm
My knee was hurting after the meet. I took a week off from squats but went back at it Sunday. It didn't hurt while training but the day after hurt so I decided at the next meet I may use knee wraps so I ordered some. These are Inzer 'gripper' wraps. Bonus is they match the Animal Pak can:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/IMG_20130212_113642_zps96240961.jpg

Altered Beast
02-12-13, 3:29 pm
The Gripper Wrist and Knee Wraps are the best on the market! Super comfortable and feel like you're wearing a cast!

Starting perform TKE's with bands to fix the knee pain every Squat workout as an accessory movement.

naturalguy
02-12-13, 3:31 pm
The Gripper Wrist and Knee Wraps are the best on the market! Super comfortable and feel like you're wearing a cast!

Starting perform TKE's with bands to fix the knee pain every Squat workout as an accessory movement.

I hope so, can't wait to try them out

J-Dawg
02-12-13, 5:50 pm

Conditioning Day

Prowler Sprints
2 80 yard warmups
6 40 yard sprints

Sled Drags
10 min

J-Dawg
02-12-13, 5:59 pm
I'm a crazy individual if you didn't already notice!

Indeed, haha!

My knee was hurting after the meet. I took a week off from squats but went back at it Sunday. It didn't hurt while training but the day after hurt so I decided at the next meet I may use knee wraps so I ordered some. These are Inzer 'gripper' wraps. Bonus is they match the Animal Pak can:

Nice NG. I gotta start using wraps too. I have Aggression's old pair that I want to try out within a few weeks.

J-Dawg
02-13-13, 3:47 pm

Week 2 - Deadlift Explosion
Deadlift @ 60%max - 8 sets x 3 reps
Bar x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
315 x 3
Nice and easy. All sets without a belt. Focused on sitting back and exploding up with the weight in hand. Each rep was paused.

Snatch Grip Rack Deads
225 warmup
225 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 12

Shrugs
225 x 12
225 x 12
225 x 12

Glute Ham Raises - ~50 reps
10 reps
10 reps
12 reps
12 reps
10 reps

Lat Pulldowns - 4 sets x 15
48lb x 15
60lb x 15
72lb x 15
84lb x 15

naturalguy
02-13-13, 3:52 pm
Same workout for me, we snagged a couple of pics of the explosive deads:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/IMG_20130213_143505_962_zps7c3fc1bb.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/IMG_20130213_143849_728_zps3825f838.jpg

Mr. Dead
02-13-13, 4:21 pm
Nice work...!!! I almost feel slightly bad about something that may or may not have happened, today... *LOL*

naturalguy
02-13-13, 4:31 pm
Nice work...!!! I almost feel slightly bad about something that may or may not have happened, today... *LOL*

I saw it Deadman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

Mr. Dead
02-13-13, 4:32 pm
I saw it Deadman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

I'll have to see it, when I get home... Vids are blocked here, at work...

J-Dawg
02-13-13, 5:00 pm

Haha, I heard about that. I like it!

Aggression
02-13-13, 5:04 pm
knee wraps and deadlift socks to do explosive work? To quote the great 'Jessie The Body Venture', 'Buncha slack jawed ....'

http://youtu.be/plY9hpA_Nbg

naturalguy
02-13-13, 5:12 pm
Aggression, if you are going to quote Predator and Jesse the Body, you best come correct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7E0HyyNpAs

Aggression
02-13-13, 5:16 pm
My mistake. Is this better?

http://youtu.be/qlicWUDf5MM

Altered Beast
02-14-13, 8:39 am
This is getting good in here =)

naturalguy
02-14-13, 8:44 am
My mistake. Is this better?

What has been seen, cannot be unseen

J-Dawg
02-14-13, 10:00 am
Is this real life?

naturalguy
02-14-13, 10:05 am
Is this real life?

I am sore today from yesterday's workout #TheCube

deanna7272
02-14-13, 10:18 am

Conditioning Day

Prowler Sprints
2 80 yard warmups
6 40 yard sprints

Sled Drags
10 min

Ohhhhh.... Henri took me through the Prowler and Sled Drills... Good God... I'm not quite sure what the neighbors thought about seeing a 40 yr old woman huffin and puffin up and down the hill next to the gym... I'm sure it was quite humorous

((Oh course, I'm sure the neighbors are used to that kind of stuff....lmao))

J-Dawg
02-14-13, 3:36 pm
I am sore today from yesterday's workout #TheCube

I have a feeling that my DOMS will be kicking in soon...

Ohhhhh.... Henri took me through the Prowler and Sled Drills... Good God... I'm not quite sure what the neighbors thought about seeing a 40 yr old woman huffin and puffin up and down the hill next to the gym... I'm sure it was quite humorous

((Oh course, I'm sure the neighbors are used to that kind of stuff....lmao))

Those drills are something, esp. the prowler! That piece is grueling and much hated by those who use it, lol.

I would hope the neighbors are used to it by now, haha!

J-Dawg
02-14-13, 3:37 pm

Conditioning Day @ Retro

Bike @ ~90-100rpm
30min/7.5miles

naturalguy
02-15-13, 3:21 pm
Friday - benchapalooza at the U w/J-Dawg

Today was Bench (reps) day on The Cube:

Bench w/fat gripz:

135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 8 (70% of max)

Bamboo bar bench:

2 x 20 reps

Close grip bench w/fat gripz:

3 x 12 reps

Tricep band extensions:

4 x 25 reps

Abs & Rotator cuff

The fat gripz made the sets harder (which is a good thing). Good workout, I am not used to doing this many reps so this is good to push me.

J-Dawg
02-17-13, 3:29 pm

Bench Day - Reps (Week 2)

Bench Press w/ Fat Gripz @ 70% x 8 reps
Warmups
95 x 8
135 x 8
185 x 8
Work Set
205 x 8

Bamboo Press 2/ 45lb per side - 2 sets x 20
45lb per side x 20
45lb per side x 20
These feel great - help to heal shoulder issues

Close Grip Bench Press w/ Fat Gripz - 3 sets x 12
135 x 12
135 x 12
135 x 12

Band Pressdown
4 sets x 25

20s x 10
30s x 10
30s x 10
35s x 10

Rear Lateral Work
2 sets x 10

Great workout. Have some shoulder pain on my right side but I'm liking the reps/volume here.

J-Dawg
02-17-13, 3:40 pm

Week 3 Cube - Squats (Reps)

Squat @ 70% - 8 reps x 1 set
Warmups
Bar
135 x 8
135 x 8
225 x 3
255 x 3
Work Set
290 x 8

135 x 5 (warmup)
155 x 8
185 x 8
185 x 8

Lunges - 3 sets x 15 reps
35lb DBs x 15
35lb DBs x 15
35lb DBs x 15

Olympic Squat - 40 reps
135 x 40 (20 then paused and then 20 more)
Really felt it on these. Different feel than PL squat - you descend with your quads vs. descending with your hips and bar is higher up.

Calf Raises (seated) - 50 reps
50 reps total

Bike - 2 miles

Lots of stretching and foam rolling post workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_OHJxN9C1Y

Freakshowelite
02-17-13, 6:56 pm

Bench Day - Reps (Week 2)

Bench Press w/ Fat Gripz @ 70% x 8 reps
Warmups
95 x 8
135 x 8
185 x 8
Work Set
205 x 8

Bamboo Press 2/ 45lb per side - 2 sets x 20
45lb per side x 20
45lb per side x 20
These feel great - help to heal shoulder issues

Close Grip Bench Press w/ Fat Gripz - 3 sets x 12
135 x 12
135 x 12
135 x 12

Band Pressdown
4 sets x 25

20s x 10
30s x 10
30s x 10
35s x 10

Rear Lateral Work
2 sets x 10

Great workout. Have some shoulder pain on my right side but I'm liking the reps/volume here.

I love seeing the emphasis on triceps, they are absolutely vital towards a huge bench

GUNS
02-17-13, 8:35 pm
Awesome seeing some Fear Factory finallyin here! That gets me so amped when I train! Love Mechanized!

Great pressing guys!

J-Dawg
02-18-13, 8:58 am
I love seeing the emphasis on triceps, they are absolutely vital towards a huge bench

I really need to bring up my tricep strength so I'm making sure to hit it after bench and on my accessory day. Do you have any suggestions for tricep work?

Awesome seeing some Fear Factory finallyin here! That gets me so amped when I train! Love Mechanized!

Great pressing guys!

Yes! Fear Factory is a great metal band. I used to listen to them all of the time in the mid-90s (Demanufacture & Obsolete albums were on repeat often, haha). I haven't heard any of their new material so I will have to check out Mechanize! I saw them play on one of the second stages at one of the first Ozzfest's in the 90s and they kicked ass.

naturalguy
02-18-13, 9:27 am
Sunday Squats at Skiba's

Squats (reps): working on adjusting my form with Skiba, going a little wider and toes pointing out more is really helping

110 x 6
150 x 5
200 x 5
240 x 3
290 x 8 (work set)

Good mornings:

140 x 8
140 x 8
140 x 8

Reverse hypers:

3 x 12

Abs, rotator cuff

A little video from a typical Sunday at Skiba's gym, great crew in there and lots of energy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU54V9SzUdg

BubbyLight
02-18-13, 9:35 am
Cube is where its at. the logic of it just makes sense

J-Dawg
02-18-13, 3:27 pm
A little video from a typical Sunday at Skiba's gym, great crew in there and lots of energy

Nice vid NG. Atmosphere is tremendous there.

Cube is where its at. the logic of it just makes sense

Agreed Bubby! It seems like a good plan for gradually building up your lifts, improving your form, not over stressing the immune, nervous and endocrine systems. I find it to be a good, balanced plan for natural lifters.

Mr. Dead
02-18-13, 3:32 pm
Nice work...!!! The Cage is near...

J-Dawg
02-18-13, 3:35 pm

Cube Method - Bodybuilding Day - Week 3

Standing Fat Gripz Barbell Presses - 3 sets x 8-10
Warmups
Bar x 15
15lb pps x 10
25lb pps x 10
Work sets
35lb pps x 10
45lb pps x 8
45lb pps x 9
Having right shoulder discomfort so I kept the reps slightly below 10 on the top sets and did some bamboo presses in between.

Bamboo Bar Presses - 3 sets x 15
w/ 25lb pps x 15
w/ 25lb pps x 15
w/ 25lb pps x 15

Seated Side Laterals Superset w/ Seated Rear Laterals 4 sets x 12
10lb x 12 (side) / 10lb x 12 (rear)
15lb x 12 (side) / 15lb x 12 (rear)
20lb x 12 (side) / 15lb x 12 (rear)
20lb x 12 (side) / 15lb x 12 (rear)

Bicep Hammer Curls w/ Fat Gripz - 4 sets
20lb x 12
25lb x 12
30lb x 10
30lb x 9
30lb x 10 (1 set non-hammer - reg)

Tricep Band Presses
100 reps over 4 sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIFYG3ARFA

J-Dawg
02-18-13, 3:35 pm
Nice work...!!! The Cage is near...

Getting some high volume in for The Cage!

GUNS
02-18-13, 4:25 pm
Here is what the bass drums look like for Mechanized- http://youtu.be/jbl76BW2Lc0

Here is the official- http://youtu.be/a6BwAY3P8S8

naturalguy
02-19-13, 8:30 am
"Bodybuilding day" with J-Dawg at the U gym

Standing military presses w/fat gripz:

4 x 9-10 reps

Bamboo bar bench presses:

2 x 20

Seated side laterals superset with rear laterals (facing incline bench):

4 x 10-12

Dumbell hammer curls w/fat gripz:

4 x 8-12

Tricep band extensions:

4 x 25

Rotator cuff scapular retractions

Shukin
02-19-13, 9:19 am
How are you liking the Cube so far? How about the Bamboo bar? Watch the humidity on those.

J-Dawg
02-19-13, 10:14 am
Here is what the bass drums look like for Mechanized- http://youtu.be/jbl76BW2Lc0

Here is the official- http://youtu.be/a6BwAY3P8S8

I love it! They are still keeping their edge from the 90s which is awesome. I've always loved that machine gun-like double base sound that Herrera is known for. That's Fear Factory's signature sound!

"Bodybuilding day" with J-Dawg at the U gym

Great work again NG.

How are you liking the Cube so far? How about the Bamboo bar? Watch the humidity on those.

I'm definitely like it so far. About 3 weeks in and I can feel it's helping to improve a few of my weaknesses--stamina, recovery, form. And the bamboo bar is awesome!

J-Dawg
02-19-13, 5:13 pm

Conditioning Day

Treadmill 1.6miles / 30 min

Ab Coaster (lower abs)
4 sets x 12

Decline Crunches
3 sets x 12

J-Dawg
02-20-13, 12:51 pm
Need to start doing these for healthier shoulders. A good find that NG sent over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BVehf-8FAxQ

Altered Beast
02-20-13, 1:00 pm
J, this is a part of my warm up for my Upper body training days. I start out with this routine!

Certain movements hurt! Lol!

smoothballer
02-20-13, 2:42 pm
Need to start doing these for healthier shoulders. A good find that NG sent over...

I am going to start doing this ASAP. Awesome find!

J-Dawg
02-20-13, 3:38 pm
J, this is a part of my warm up for my Upper body training days. I start out with this routine!

Certain movements hurt! Lol!

Yes--certain movements hurt my shoulder for sure! I tried these out today before deadlifting and in between sets and that really seemed to help!

I am going to start doing this ASAP. Awesome find!

Agreed! I'm glad EliteFTS posted this today.

J-Dawg
02-20-13, 3:45 pm

Week 3 - Deadlift Heavy
Deficit Deadlift @ 80%max - 5 sets x 2 reps
Bar x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 2
275 x 2
315 x 2
365 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2
Nice and easy. All sets without a belt.

Snatch Grip Rack Deads
225 warmup
225 x 8
315 x 8
315 x 8

Glute Ham Raises - 4 sets
10 reps
10 reps
12 reps
12 reps

Leg Curls
1 set x 15

*note to self--move barbell rows to Friday due to time constraints*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tO1tuaprfM

TheJuggernautBitch
02-20-13, 3:52 pm
fuck yes @ e-town concrete jamz. awesome band.

GUNS
02-20-13, 6:03 pm
Strong J!

naturalguy
02-21-13, 8:47 am
Deads heavy on The Cube at the U gym w/J-Dawg

Deficit deads:

420 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2
420 x 2

Snatch grip rack pulls:

225 x 8
315 x 8
315 x 8

Glute Ham Raises:

4 x 8 reps

J-Dawg
02-21-13, 8:53 am
fuck yes @ e-town concrete jamz. awesome band.

Dirty Jerz at its finest.

Strong J!

Trying to get stronger!

Deads heavy on The Cube at the U gym w/J-Dawg

Good session yesterday NG.

naturalguy
02-21-13, 8:55 am

You want a cookie?

smoothballer
02-21-13, 11:33 am
You want a cookie?

How about a Max and Erma's cookie?

J-Dawg
02-21-13, 11:36 am
You want a cookie?

I want a bigger deadlift than you.

How about a Max and Erma's cookie?

Yes!

Mr. Dead
02-21-13, 11:37 am
You want a cookie?

http://t.qkme.me/35mjbn.jpg

J-Dawg
02-21-13, 11:38 am
http://t.qkme.me/35mjbn.jpg

LOL. I love that meme.

Big.Jaz
02-21-13, 12:04 pm
Hey guys, new poster.

How're you guys liking cube method? I just got the book a bit ago

smoothballer
02-21-13, 12:21 pm
Speaking of M&E's cookies, has anyone tried the Double Chocolate Chunk. It says they are new to their menu.

BTW, drool just hit my desk...

naturalguy
02-21-13, 12:25 pm
Hey guys, new poster.

Welcome brother. So far we like it a lot

Speaking of M&E's cookies, has anyone tried the Double Chocolate Chunk. It says they are new to their menu.

New cookies????? Ok, I'll just IIFYM them in my diet

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/InglipRed/Trollface.gif

J-Dawg
02-21-13, 3:45 pm
Hey guys, new poster.

Welcome aboard Jaz. So far we're really liking the Cube Method. I find it to be a great powerlifting program--allows you to work on your form and hit the weights in a manner that bring up your overall lift without stressing the body out (immune, nervous, endocrine systems) which my previous powerlifting training methods did. I highly recommend it.

Damn... Double Chocolate Chunk sounds awesome!

J-Dawg
02-21-13, 3:51 pm

Conditioning Day

Bike - 30min @ ~90rpm

Aggression
02-21-13, 4:03 pm
Excerpt from Jim Wendler's '5/3/1 for Powerlifting' book:

Conditioning should consist of Prowler sprints, hill sprints, inclined treadmill sprints, sled sprints, sled pulls, any kind of Strongman implement, weighted vest work, jumping rope, body weight circuits, and whatever else you can come up with. If it isn't awesome, don‘t do it. If your grandmother does it for cardio, don‘t do it.

Your conditioning day, below.

Conditioning Day

Bike - 30min @ ~90rpm

You're doing it wrong.pdf

J-Dawg
02-21-13, 4:04 pm
Excerpt from Jim Wendler's '5/3/1 for Powerlifting' book:

Your conditioning day, below.

You're doing it wrong.pdf

.sadpanda

Big.Jaz
02-21-13, 6:12 pm
Glad to hear you guys are liking it. Just wrapping up on a very long extended fat loss phase myself. Hoping to transition into something that'll yield some growth + Additional strength when i get into my calorie surplus :)

J-Dawg
02-22-13, 4:09 pm
Glad to hear you guys are liking it. Just wrapping up on a very long extended fat loss phase myself. Hoping to transition into something that'll yield some growth + Additional strength when i get into my calorie surplus :)

Nice Jaz. I would definitely suggest giving it a shot for strength and growth. It focuses on the 3 main strength movements--bench, squat, deads and attacks them from a variety of angles but keeps it simple with a lot of barbell movements for the main lifts. They are split into 3 days (explosive, reps, heavy) and rotated each week so that you put a different focus on the main lifts weekly. A fourth bodybuilding-like day is thrown in to focus on miscellaneous lifts or weak bodyparts (shoulders, arms, calves, etc).

J-Dawg
02-22-13, 4:15 pm

Bench Day - Explosive (Week 3)

Bench Press w/ Fat Gripz @ 60% x 8 sets x 3 reps
Warmups
Bar x 12
95 x 8
135 x 8
155 x 3
Work Sets - fast (paused at bottom, explode up)
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3
175 x 3

Bamboo Press 2/ 35lb per side - 2 sets x 15
35lb per side x 15
35lb per side x 15

Barbell Rows
135 x 12
155 x 10
175 x 10
195 x 9

Band Pressdown
4 sets x 25

Tate Presses - triceps
15s x 12
25s x 10
35s x 10
45s x 8

30s x 10
40s x 5 then 30s x 5

Nix0r
02-22-13, 4:20 pm
Good stuff J! You gonna be joining in on the bench fun next Thursday?

naturalguy
02-22-13, 4:40 pm
Today's workout, you are going to want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5EkC2Cwan8&feature=youtu.be

J-Dawg
02-23-13, 7:23 am
Good stuff J! You gonna be joining in on the bench fun next Thursday?

Nix--That sounds like a good plan!

Today's workout, you are going to want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5EkC2Cwan8&feature=youtu.be

Good explosive workout yesterday!

Nix0r
02-25-13, 9:18 am
Nix--That sounds like a good plan!

Boom. We'll prolly head into the EXPO a little early on Thursday (5PM or so), so we'll stop by the Cage beforehand to say what's up and figure out a plan for hoisting.

GUNS
02-25-13, 9:55 am
I thought you said you guys were going to be explosive, Hahahaha!

Im guessing some sort of Peach Tea Intra/BCAA drink?

Altered Beast
02-25-13, 10:10 am
The Peach Tea flavored ST is the most delicious flavored supplement ever made! It mixes super easy and doesn't leave clumps or fizzy crap on the surface!

J-Dawg
02-25-13, 10:22 am
Boom. We'll prolly head into the EXPO a little early on Thursday (5PM or so), so we'll stop by the Cage beforehand to say what's up and figure out a plan for hoisting.

Boom. Count me in. I'm always down for some hoisting on the bench.

I thought you said you guys were going to be explosive, Hahahaha!

Im guessing some sort of Peach Tea Intra/BCAA drink?

We're trying to get more explosive, haha!

That's a very interesting guess!

The Peach Tea flavored ST is the most delicious flavored supplement ever made! It mixes super easy and doesn't leave clumps or fizzy crap on the surface!

Agreed. That flavor is unbelievable! And it is great that it doesn't clump or leave floaters on the top after shaking.

J-Dawg
02-27-13, 4:29 pm

Cube Method Week 4 - Squat Explosion
Squat @ 65%max - 6 sets x 2 reps
Bar x 10
Bar x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2
275 x 2
275 x 2
275 x 2
275 x 2
275 x 2
Threw in 2 more sets
295 x 2
295 x 2

Front Squats - 5 sets x 5 reps
155 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
Getting better at these slowly but surely

Leg Press - 4 sets x 15
3pps x 15
4pps x 15
5pps x 15
5pps x 15
I go deep on these so that I can feel it in my hips and hamstrings. No half reps here.

Back Extensions - 3 sets x 12
Bodyweight x 12

DB Swings - 3 sets x 15
35lb x 15
35lb x 15
35lb x 15

J-Dawg
02-27-13, 4:35 pm

Cube Method Week 4 - Bodybuilding Day

Fat Gripz Standing Shoulder Press - 3 sets x 8-10
Warmups
Bar x 10
75lb x 10
95lb x 10
Work sets
135lb x 8
135lb x 8
135lb x 8
Having right shoulder discomfort so I stopped the set @ 8 reps.

Bamboo Bar - 2 sets x 15
25s/side x 15
25s/ side x 15
Helps my shoulder

Side
20s x 12
20s x 12
20s x 12

Rear
15s x 12
15s x 12
15s x 12

DB Bicep Curls w/ Fat Gripz 4 sets x 10-15
25s x 15
30s x 15
35s x 12
40s x 10

DB Hammer Curls w Fat BGripz
30s x 10
35s x 10

Tricep Band Presses
100 reps

Incline DB Tricep Extensions 5 sets x 10 - 12
20s x 12
30s x 12
35s x 12
40s x 10

J-Dawg
02-27-13, 4:37 pm

Conditioning Day @ The UN HQ

Prowler Sprints
Warmup x 2
8 x 40 yards

Sled Dragging - backward + forward
20 min total

GUNS
02-27-13, 4:38 pm
There is more volume than I thought there would be! I like it!

LOTS of solid work J! Are you using the band shoulder work on your upper days? I have been using it, can really feel it!

J-Dawg
02-27-13, 4:42 pm

Cube Method Deadlift Day - Reps (Week 4)

Deficit Deads (on top of 45lb plate) 1 Set x 6 Reps @ 80%
Warmups
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 2
365 x 2
420 x 6
No belt for all sets.

Snatch Grip Rack Deads (below knee) 3 Sets x 8 Reps
225 x 8
275 x 8
275 x 8

Barbell Rows - 4 sets x 8 @ 50-70%
135 x 8
185 x 8
205 x 8
205 x 8

Glute Ham Raises - 4 Sets x 10 Reps
Bodyweight x 4 sets x 10 reps

Leg Curls - 30 Reps
50lb x 15
50lb x 15

My lower back was totally fried after this. The no belt deads are no joke!

J-Dawg
02-27-13, 4:44 pm
There is more volume than I thought there would be! I like it!

LOTS of solid work J! Are you using the band shoulder work on your upper days? I have been using it, can really feel it!

There is quite a bit of volume. We joke here and call it the Cube Method for Crossfit! LOL. But it's really helping me to build up my endurance and stamina which can only help out the lifts!

I have been doing the band work and that is helping me out - the pain is still there but not as pronounced!

GUNS
02-27-13, 4:47 pm
There is quite a bit of volume. We joke here and call it the Cube Method for Crossfit! LOL. But it's really helping me to build up my endurance and stamina which can only help out the lifts!

I have been doing the band work and that is helping me out - the pain is still there but not as pronounced!

I highly recommend an Oxygen Depravation Mask! I have one and my conditioning is getting better and better! I dont push a sled or tire or any cardio! Soon, but it has been great.

My shoulder has been bothering me, just started the band work this past week. So got to give it time!

J-Dawg
03-02-13, 6:14 am
Holding down The Shop all weekend at The Cage. Stop by to score some LE gear!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/Arnold2013/IMG_20130228_145520_zps0f54c548.jpg

Appollonian
03-02-13, 7:40 am
Really solid work going down, looking forward to meeting all of you today.

The routine looks great to me.

I've never been one to make fun of crossfit, one of the strongest guy at my gym did crossfit. Every once in a while he had days where he would do doubles or triples and moved serious weight.

BubbyLight
03-02-13, 8:37 pm
looks good in here. good luck with the cube. its the best rotation in my mind. also in brandon lillys mind. iv been using it preppin for the meet. good seeing ya this weekend

shortstack
03-04-13, 8:59 am
It was a pleasure to see you guys again and catch up. Had lots of fun making shirts and repping the company for a day. I'll see ya around the forum!!

Jeremy

Appollonian
03-04-13, 10:07 am
J it was great to see you in person, however briefly it was. Thanks for all you do on here and for the company and helping make the Cage/ABC such a great event.

I'm hoping to make a trip to NYC sometime this year, maybe I can plan it around an ABC in the area and see you folks and actually have a chance to talk.

naturalguy
03-08-13, 4:25 pm
It was great to see everyone in Columbus.

I fell behind on recording workouts due to the road trip and The Cage but I did get some training in at the Excercise Warehouse & The Body Builders gym ABC's.

I'll just start off with today's training:

Bench (reps)

Floor presses w/fat gripz:

135 x 6
185 x 6
225 x 6
260 x 6

the fat gripz make it exponentially harder

Bamboo bar presses:

3 sets 12-20 reps

Bent over rows:

4 x 10

Tricep band extensions:

4 x 25

rotator cuff work

I am fired up after being at The Cage and seeing all the crazy lifting going on, time to raise my game!

Razor
03-08-13, 4:49 pm
It was great to see everyone in Columbus.

I fell behind on recording workouts due to the road trip and The Cage but I did get some training in at the Excercise Warehouse & The Body Builders gym ABC's.

I'll just start off with today's training:

Bench (reps)

Floor presses w/fat gripz:

135 x 6
185 x 6
225 x 6
260 x 6

the fat gripz make it exponentially harder

Bamboo bar presses:

3 sets 12-20 reps

Bent over rows:

4 x 10

Tricep band extensions:

4 x 25

rotator cuff work

I am fired up after being at The Cage and seeing all the crazy lifting going on, time to raise my game!

Fat Gripz rule.

smoothballer
03-08-13, 4:57 pm
Fat Gripz rule.

Picked up a set at the Arnold. Used them on Wednesday...swoleness

Kowboy
03-08-13, 8:42 pm
Awesome to see you guys at the cage this year. Glad I got to help again, so much fun. I just started the powerlifting cube this week to mix in w/ strongman so I am excited to see how it turns out. How are you guys liking it so far?

naturalguy
03-11-13, 8:59 am
Awesome to see you guys at the cage this year. Glad I got to help again, so much fun. I just started the powerlifting cube this week to mix in w/ strongman so I am excited to see how it turns out. How are you guys liking it so far?

Great to see you also Treb. I like the variety a lot and it's challenging.

naturalguy
03-11-13, 9:02 am
Sunday squats at Skiba's

Squats - heavy day. One of the great things about training at Skiba's is the variety of equipment and trying different things. We did squats but with a deep cambered bar plus heavy bands and chains. Using different bars, bands and chains works different areas which helps you get stronger. The load at the top was a lot. I don't know exactly how much weight we worked up to but we guessed it at 635 lbs at the very top of the movement:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/Arnold2013/IMG_20130310_113909_322_zps7b508afa.jpg

4 sets x 2 reps

Back attack:

3 x 10

Reverse hypers:

3 x 12

abs

Aggression
03-11-13, 9:03 am
Glad one of us trained this weekend. niCe looking setup there. I iz jelly.

Nix0r
03-11-13, 9:26 am
Sunday squats at Skiba's

Squats - heavy day. One of the great things about training at Skiba's is the variety of equipment and trying different things. We did squats but with a deep cambered bar plus heavy bands and chains. Using different bars, bands and chains works different areas which helps you get stronger. The load at the top was a lot. I don't know exactly how much weight we worked up to but we guessed it at 635 lbs at the very top of the movement:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/Arnold2013/IMG_20130310_113909_322_zps7b508afa.jpg

That's awesome.

Altered Beast
03-11-13, 9:29 am
I bet that morning dump was HORRIBLE today! LOL!

naturalguy
03-11-13, 9:39 am
Glad one of us trained this weekend. niCe looking setup there. I iz jelly.

That's awesome.

I bet that morning dump was HORRIBLE today! LOL!

I am a little sore today, tomorrow will be worse

naturalguy
03-12-13, 10:26 am
Monday at the U w/J-Dawg

Shoulders & bi's

5 x 10 reps

Seated side laterals superset with lying incline rear laterals:

4 x 10

Dumbell curls w/fat gripz:

4 x 8-15

Bamboo bar presses:

3 x 20

Tricep band work

JUGGERNAUT
03-12-13, 10:30 am
Sunday squats at Skiba's

4 sets x 2 reps

Back attack:

3 x 10

Reverse hypers:

3 x 12

abs

I count zero

naturalguy
03-12-13, 11:31 am
I count zero

If you actually showed up at the gym then you could count reps

Universal Rep
03-12-13, 11:36 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKQMwAs_XQ&feature=youtu.be

GUNS
03-12-13, 11:36 am

Oh Snap!

naturalguy
03-12-13, 12:11 pm

I gotta get me on dat dere Dots

Mr. Dead
03-12-13, 2:11 pm

I smell something burning...

Rexor91
03-12-13, 5:16 pm
Monday at the U w/J-Dawg

Shoulders & bi's

5 x 10 reps

Seated side laterals superset with lying incline rear laterals:

4 x 10

Dumbell curls w/fat gripz:

4 x 8-15

Bamboo bar presses:

3 x 20

Tricep band work

How'd you like the Fat Gripz!?!!? I'm about to invest in some!

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:05 pm
Finally catching up on posts in here!

Really solid work going down, looking forward to meeting all of you today.

The routine looks great to me.

I've never been one to make fun of crossfit, one of the strongest guy at my gym did crossfit. Every once in a while he had days where he would do doubles or triples and moved serious weight.

The Cube routine is very balanced which I like.

And I agree about crossfit. I'm not one to make fun of it at all b/c we all need difference avenues to channel our passions. Some are good at bodybuilding. Some are good at powerlifting. Some are good at other sports. And these all came about based on someone's passions. I see crossfit the same way--another hobby/sport for someone to work hard and try to succeed at.

looks good in here. good luck with the cube. its the best rotation in my mind. also in brandon lillys mind. iv been using it preppin for the meet. good seeing ya this weekend

Agreed! The Cube is about as balanced as it gets.

It was a pleasure to see you guys again and catch up. Had lots of fun making shirts and repping the company for a day. I'll see ya around the forum!!

Jeremy

Great seeing you too Jeremy. Thanks for your hard work on making the custom shirts at The Cage!

J it was great to see you in person, however briefly it was. Thanks for all you do on here and for the company and helping make the Cage/ABC such a great event.

I'm hoping to make a trip to NYC sometime this year, maybe I can plan it around an ABC in the area and see you folks and actually have a chance to talk.

It was great to finally meet you in person. I just wish it wasn't so busy so that we'd have more time to talk. Keep me posted if you ever hit up the area--An ABC would be great!

naturalguy
03-13-13, 4:09 pm

Love them, crazy forearm pumps

Mr. Dead
03-13-13, 4:12 pm

This comment is so ripe for twisting... But... I shall abstain...

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:17 pm
Fat Gripz rule.

Agreed!

Picked up a set at the Arnold. Used them on Wednesday...swoleness

They definitely make the lift harder but I'm enjoying the improved grip strength overall.

Great seeing you too Trebin. Thanks for helping us out at The Cage. How are you liking the PL Cube so far? So far, we're both getting great results with it and I'm feeling better than I have in a few years with this program.

I count zero

Well this is awkward...

Doh!

Gotta love B Lilly.

Oh Snap!

He got 'em good! LOL

I smell something burning...

The NAUT's joints b/c he worked out today???

They are fantastic for building up grip strength and reducing wrist/forearm instability, which should translate to even bigger lifts overall!

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:18 pm

Haha, I can only imagine!

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:29 pm
Catching up on a few workouts that I missed typing up. I did some bench with Nix0r, Razor and SmoothBaller at the Arnold but my shoulder was bothering me so I've been spending some time trying to do more band work and rotator cuff exercises.

I'll start off with these:

Bench Day - Reps (Week 5)

Floor Press w/ Fat Gripz @ 75% x 1 set x 6
Warmups
Bar x 12
95 x 8
135 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 6
225 x 5 (missed the 6th rep b/c my shoulder bothered me throughout)
225 x 6 (hit it but my shoulder was still bothering me)

Bamboo Presses w 45lb per side
3 sets x 15 - 20

Barbell Rows - 4 sets x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
205 x 10
205 x 10

Band Pressdown - 100 reps
4 sets x 25

Incline DB Tricep Press
20s x 10
25s x 10
35s x 10
40s x 8

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:33 pm

Week 5 Cube - Squats (Heavy)

Squat @ 85% - 3 sets x 2 reps
Warmups
Bar
Bar
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2
315 x 2
Work Sets
350 x 2
350 x 2
350 x 2

155 x 8
155 x 8
155 x 8

Leg Press - 3 sets x 20
3pps x 20
3pps x 20
3pps x 20

Lunges - 3 sets x 12 reps
30lb DBs x 12 reps per leg

Back Extensions - 60 reps
15 reps
15 reps
15 reps
15 reps

Leg Curls - 50 reps x 2 sets
20lb x 33 reps
20lb x 33 reps
20lb x 34 reps

naturalguy
03-13-13, 4:36 pm
Today - Heavy deads at the U w/J-Dawg

Rack deads:

275 x 2
315 x 2
365 x 2
405 x 2
455 x 2
455 x 2
455 x 2

Snatch grip rack deads:

3 x 8

Dumbell rows:

3 x 8

Dumbell shrugs:

1 x 6 (neck was hurting)

rotator cuff work

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:40 pm

An extra miscellaneous day.

Shoulder work--
20 mins of various shoulder therapy work

Standing DB Curls
4 sets x 10

Standing Hammer Curls
4 sets x 10

Cable Curls
3 sets x 12

Paused Front Squats
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Bike
2miles

Rexor91
03-13-13, 4:40 pm

lmao!

J-Dawg
03-13-13, 4:43 pm

Week 6 - Deadlift Heavy
Deficit Deadlift @ 85%max - 3 sets x 2 reps
Bar x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 2
275 x 2
315 x 2
365 x 2
405 x 2
455 x 2
455 x 2
455 x 2

Snatch Grip Rack Deads
225 warmup
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8

DB Rows
80s x 8 reps
90s x 8 reps
100s x 8 reps

DB Shrugs
70s x 12
80s x 12
90s x 12

Various shoulder stretching performed in between sets and after.

smoothballer
03-13-13, 9:51 pm
Looking good J. How's the shoulder mobility working for you?

J-Dawg
03-14-13, 9:41 am
Looking good J. How's the shoulder mobility working for you?

Right now it's slowly getting better. I need to hit the shoulder rehab work just about every day now to make sure I build up my rotators/shoulder girdle. How's yours coming along?

smoothballer
03-14-13, 9:45 am
Right now it's slowly getting better. I need to hit the shoulder rehab work just about every day now to make sure I build up my rotators/shoulder girdle. How's yours coming along?

Mobility work is helping. Need to do it another time or two a week. I find that if I go too hard prior to bench than bench suffers. I found that if I do 1 set of the 70 reps beforehand and superset the other 2 sets with either overhead or regular band pushdown sets of 50 it is an awesome way to end the workout.

Altered Beast
03-14-13, 10:25 am
What up mister master Chemist?

I wonder what you're doing to Stak......

=)

J-Dawg
03-14-13, 12:20 pm
Mobility work is helping. Need to do it another time or two a week. I find that if I go too hard prior to bench than bench suffers. I found that if I do 1 set of the 70 reps beforehand and superset the other 2 sets with either overhead or regular band pushdown sets of 50 it is an awesome way to end the workout.

Yep--going too hard prior to the main lift might make you fatigued. Those banded reps are amazing though. I hit up the banded pressdowns and my elbows have never felt better!

What up mister master Chemist?

I wonder what you're doing to Stak......

=)

Some good things are happening with Project Stak!

Freakshowelite
03-14-13, 1:39 pm
Catching up on a few workouts that I missed typing up. I did some bench with Nix0r, Razor and SmoothBaller at the Arnold but my shoulder was bothering me so I've been spending some time trying to do more band work and rotator cuff exercises.

I'll start off with these:

Bench Day - Reps (Week 5)

Floor Press w/ Fat Gripz @ 75% x 1 set x 6
Warmups
Bar x 12
95 x 8
135 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 6
225 x 5 (missed the 6th rep b/c my shoulder bothered me throughout)
225 x 6 (hit it but my shoulder was still bothering me)

Bamboo Presses w 45lb per side
3 sets x 15 - 20

Barbell Rows - 4 sets x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
205 x 10
205 x 10

Band Pressdown - 100 reps
4 sets x 25

Incline DB Tricep Press
20s x 10
25s x 10
35s x 10
40s x 8

all sorts of good shit in there, fat grips and bamboo bar. Your bench is gonna be bullet proof

Altered Beast
03-14-13, 3:08 pm
Some good things are happening with Project Stak!

Any ETA on a release date once its approved and tested? I got a few guys here at work I told to hold off on buying Stak and wait for the new version!

J-Dawg
03-14-13, 3:30 pm
all sorts of good shit in there, fat grips and bamboo bar. Your bench is gonna be bullet proof

Thanks Freakshow. Working on trying to build up my weakest lift; bench. Just gotta keep my shoulder healthy!

Any ETA on a release date once its approved and tested? I got a few guys here at work I told to hold off on buying Stak and wait for the new version!

No specific ETA. If all goes well it could be around 2months.