PDA

View Full Version : J-Dawg & naturalguy: Powerlifting and Gainz

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 3:38 pm
This thread will showcase the journey/training routines of J-Dawg and naturalguy, two seasoned natural lifters that have been in this game for quite a number of years (more than 30 years combined). All you'll find in here is basic, no frills lifting. Nothing fancy. Just two guys looking to make steady gains. In here we'll track our training routines, diet plans and supplement routines. If you have any questions or comments for us, feel free to shoot them in here.

Current PRs (as of 5.21.16)
Current Meet PRs
naturalguy: 220
Bench: 340
Deadlift: 565
Squat: 525
Meet total: 1420 @ 220

J-Dawg: 198
Bench: 295
Deadlift: 600
Squat: 520
Best Meet Total: 1410 @ 198

Enforcer
07-01-08, 3:41 pm
O shit age vs. beauty. First one who dies loses lol jk. I got my money on J Dawg.

LittleMan55
07-01-08, 3:45 pm
hell yeah subbed for sure!

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 3:49 pm
Back Routine 7/1/08

Warm up - 1 set of pull downs. 15 reps.

Pull ups - wide grip. 50 reps total over 5 sets (finished up with 52 reps after all was said and done). Nice clean reps here. None of that half ass rep shit.

One armed dumbbell rows - 5 sets.
55s for 12 rep warm up.
70s for 10 reps.
80s for 10 reps.
90s for 10 reps
100s for 10 reps.
Full, clean reps on all sets. Down to a few inches above the floor and all the way up, squeezing the lats on each rep.

Shrugs - 3 sets.
80s - 12
90s - 12
120s - 10
Got a nice squeeze on these. As far down as I can go and squeeze until I feel my traps exploding.

That's it. Traps and lats are pumped.

Pre-workout supplements: Shock Therapy w/ Beta Ala9 and Animal Test and Liquid L-Carnitine. 10oz water.
Post-workout: 3 scoops of Ultra Iso Whey Fruit Punch w/ Liquid L-Carnitine. 15oz water.

Hoomgar
07-01-08, 3:50 pm
I'm in! Not sure what I'm in for but I'm in :)

Lookin good guys. Hit it hard!

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 3:52 pm
I'm in! Not sure what I'm in for but I'm in :)

Lookin good guys. Hit it hard!

You're in to see if NG can keep up! Lol.

naturalguy
07-01-08, 3:53 pm
Back Routine 7/1/08

Warm up - 1 set of pull downs. 15 reps.

Pull ups - wide grip. 50 reps total over 5 sets (finished up with 52 reps after all was said and done). Nice clean reps here. None of that half ass rep shit.

One armed dumbbell rows - 5 sets.
55s for 12 rep warm up.
70s for 10 reps.
80s for 10 reps.
90s for 10 reps
100s for 10 reps.
Full, clean reps on all sets. Down to a few inches above the floor and all the way up, squeezing the lats on each rep.

Shrugs - 3 sets.
80s - 12
90s - 12
120s - 10
Got a nice squeeze on these. As far down as I can go and squeeze until I feel my traps exploding.

That's it. Traps and lats are pumped.

Thats it. It was short and sweet today, my reps were a little different. My grip gave out on the 120's for shrugs, I got 6 reps but the DB was sliding down the tips of my fingers and I was using straps.

Good strength, good pump. A nice growth producing workout followed by a pack of Nitro and Green Apple Torrent.

LittleMan55
07-01-08, 3:55 pm
Thats a damn good start to what will be a fun as journey to follow!

Hoomgar
07-01-08, 3:55 pm
You're in to see if NG can keep up! Lol.

Well seeing as how I even beat him into this thread you can be sure where I'm puttin my money J ;)

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 4:00 pm
Thats it. It was short and sweet today, my reps were a little different. My grip gave out on the 120's for shrugs, I got 6 reps but the DB was sliding down the tips of my fingers and I was using straps.

Good strength, good pump. A nice growth producing workout followed by a pack of Nitro and Green Apple Torrent.

It was a good workout NG. Just a start of things to come. Slow and steady wins the race.

js71474
This one will be interesting, already starting off with a bang! I'm in.

J-Dawg
Thats a damn good start to what will be a fun as journey to follow!

Thanks BS55. Hopefully you'll see some good things to come!

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 4:02 pm
Well seeing as how I even beat him into this thread you can be sure where I'm puttin my money J ;)

Hahaha good one Hoomgar. He may be a little bit slower, but he can put up some big weights once he gets warmed up.

Big Wides
07-01-08, 4:04 pm
should be a good one.....like two heavyweights going after that title....or last piece of cake

naturalguy
07-01-08, 4:08 pm
Hahaha good one Hoomgar. He may be a little bit slower, but he can put up some big weights once he gets warmed up.

Takes me a little longer to warm up and recovery but I won't back down. NG's got a lot left in the basement

should be a good one.....like two heavyweights going after that title....or last piece of cake

No cake, trying to get a little leaner right now.

Enforcer
07-01-08, 4:15 pm
You cant win NG, J Dawg will knock you into tomorrow. You aint been hungry since you went on Keto.

Hoomgar
07-01-08, 4:29 pm
Takes me a little longer to warm up and recovery but I won't back down. NG's got a lot left in the basement

I'll never count ya out my man :)

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 4:40 pm
You cant win NG, J Dawg will knock you into tomorrow. You aint been hungry since you went on Keto.

Lol E. You're always picking on NG. He may be old but he can put up some decent numbers with his lifts. We hope to push each other past our plateaus so that we can get some good solid gains.

naturalguy
07-01-08, 4:59 pm
Lol E. You're always picking on NG. He may be old but he can put up some decent numbers with his lifts. We hope to push each other past our plateaus so that we can get some good solid gains.

There will be a lot more to come.

Something I've learned along the way, bodybuilding is a marathon, not a sprint. I am looking to improve.

A little recent history. I've been "cutting" if you will, looking to drop some bodyfat. Not looking to get in contest shape but wanted to get leaner. Strength and size is not optimal during this period. I also experimented with keto (Dave Palumbo style) dieting and cardio. I will post my thoughts on that a little later when I have more time.

The focus now is to maintain or even get a little leaner and make the turn toward building more muscle. With some big events coming my way (the Olympia, the Arnold down the road) I want to put on some quality size. Hey if I am going to be standing in a booth next to the likes of Ox and House, I need to step up my game. I am also attending a lot of ABC's and will be taking pics next to some big cats like Enforcer and G Diesel. These guys motivate me.

J-Dawg
07-01-08, 5:13 pm
"Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind."

Most people fail b/c they never take time to actually write the program to their success. They dream big but have a sense of futility towards their goals, purpose and efforts. They wander through life hoping that things will fall into place, never realizing that it actually comes from within. You need to see the future in your mind. Once you see it, you can imagine and prepare for your goals. To make 'em happen, ya gotta have your conscience monitor all that you envision. If you have your conscience guiding you in your decisions, you'll be less apt to fail. Just some food for thought.

Mr. Dead
07-01-08, 5:15 pm

Ever try using the standing calf machine for shrugs...? I've got grip issues due to injuries, but I can heft the weight going that route, for shrugs...

Pizzalamp
07-01-08, 7:33 pm
consider me subbed!!

pmug0000
07-01-08, 10:27 pm
Awesome to see this thread started, I'm sure it'll be great!

Thrawn
07-02-08, 4:00 am
Oh man, this is gonna be good.
Along for the ride, gentlemen! Lets DO this.

Themostocles
07-02-08, 4:10 am
Bout time, gotta to see what two of the biggest names on the forum are made of. -T.

simpleguy
07-02-08, 4:10 am
cool! I'm subb'd... good luck on the keto NG, I'm doing it as well

yo J, why the l-carnitine post w/o?

firsthorseman97
07-02-08, 7:46 am
I'm in for this one. Should make for an interesting journey.

naturalguy
07-02-08, 8:07 am

I am not doing keto anymore. I did it for 6 weeks. I will post my thoughts on it a little later.

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 8:40 am
Ab/Calf Routine Early Morning 7/2/08
-I perform this 3 times per week (different exercises) in the early morning- Mon/Wed/Fri.

Abs:
-Decline Abdominal Crunches 5 sets.
15-18 per set.
superset w/
-Reverse Decline Crunches 5 sets.
15 per set.

Calves:
-Donkey Calf Raises 5 sets.
20 per set.
superset w/
-Standing Calf Raises 5 sets.
15 per set.

McFly
07-02-08, 8:49 am
wow this should be very interesting!! can't wait to see how things unfold....

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 8:54 am

I shoot for 3-4 servings of l-carnitine per day w/ 1 serving coming an hour before the workout and a second serving shortly after the workout. The other servings would either be in the morning on an empty stomach or prior to bedtime. B/c L-Carnitine is a nutrient responsible for the transport of long-chain fatty acids into the energy-producing centers of the cells (mitochondria), my theory is that there is a chance that more fat will get burned off this way. Also it's also been shown to help promote recovery, decrease lacate production while possibly also positively affecting androgenic responses to resistance exercise (increased testosterone uptake/and increase LH levels).

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/2/E474
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12930169
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16826026

ghost
07-02-08, 8:55 am
definitely subbed for this ride!

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 8:56 am
I am not doing keto anymore. I did it for 6 weeks. I will post my thoughts on it a little later.

T'was not the diet for 'ol NG. Perhaps I'll post my feelings about keto later as well.

LittleMan55
07-02-08, 9:03 am
T'was not the diet for 'ol NG. Perhaps I'll post my feelings about keto later as well.

Good work this morning guys!!!

I cant wait to read what your guys feelings on keto is... Just came off 8 weeks of it myself!

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 9:03 am
Ever try using the standing calf machine for shrugs...? I've got grip issues due to injuries, but I can heft the weight going that route, for shrugs...

Hey Mr. Dead, don't take it easy on NG. I wanna see him get up his grip strength and concentrate on moving some heavy weight without having his grip fail him.
Gotta grip that bar and do it old school.

ghost
07-02-08, 9:12 am
Hey Mr. Dead, don't take it easy on NG. I wanna see him get up his grip strength and concentrate on moving some heavy weight without having his grip fail him.
Gotta grip that bar and do it old school.

Grip it, n rip it!!

shizz702
07-02-08, 9:31 am
Wow this looks like it's gonna be a great journey! I'm in for sure!

Viper
07-02-08, 9:53 am
I got my money on NG.... Just to get some hype goin'

naturalguy
07-02-08, 10:06 am
I got my money on NG.... Just to get some hype goin'

Thanks Viper.

J-Dawg and I are not competing with one another but looking to push one another. We can't train together everyday but we are going to hook up a couple of times a week.

naturalguy
07-02-08, 12:17 pm
Ok so I am active on many bodybuilding message boards and have been in this game a long time. Keto diets have been around a long time. Palumbo may have made them more popular recently but it's not a new concept by any means. I've always felt that you "need" carbohydrates, especially for a natural bodybuilder. I took the time to read the whole Dave Palumbo Q & A thread at MDand I listened to what Evan said about it.

I ran into a guy that I used to work with years ago at Gold's Gym. He's 43 years old and just made a comeback into competitive bodybuilding after a 12 year layoff. Low and behold he wins the 3 shows that he competes in and we get to talking and he used the Palumbo keto diet. Now he is also natural. So this gets me thinking that maybe this could be a legitmate diet. I was very skeptical but I felt I could not make a judgement on something that I had not tried myself.

So 6 weeks ago I decided to dive into keto. I planned it out, went food shopping and got to work. I felt weird the first few days as my body was adjusting to it. After that I felt pretty normal although I was a little more tired throught the diet. I will say that I followed it to the T. I did the cardio the way I was supposed to, low intensity, longer duration.

I went into it fearing that I would lose muscle and strength. I did not lose any muscle and I did not lose strength (I can't say I gained any either). I lost 4 lbs. on the scale and my waist size went down (jeans were looser). So these were all positive things.

On the flip side, I have had more success losing fat with moderate carb diets and higher intensity cardio. I can't say that the keto diet was more effective in this regard. Overall I would say this is a decent diet strategy. It's worth a try to see how you react as everyone will get different results. I do think that "enhanced" bodybuilders will probably benefit more from it.

A take away. Throught this I realized that I don't need as many carbohydrates as I once thought. I am now going to take some components from the Palumbo diet (eating more healthy fat/less carbs) and am only going to have starchy carbs with breakfast and post workout.

Enforcer
07-02-08, 12:19 pm
Ok so I am active on many bodybuilding message boards and have been in this game a long time. Keto diets have been around a long time. Palumbo may have made them more popular recently but it's not a new concept by any means. I've always felt that you "need" carbohydrates, especially for a natural bodybuilder. I took the time to read the whole Dave Palumbo Q & A thread at MDand I listened to what Evan said about it.

I ran into a guy that I used to work with years ago at Gold's Gym. He's 43 years old and just made a comeback into competitive bodybuilding after a 12 year layoff. Low and behold he wins the 3 shows that he competes in and we get to talking and he used the Palumbo keto diet. Now he is also natural. So this gets me thinking that maybe this could be a legitmate diet. I was very skeptical but I felt I could not make a judgement on something that I had not tried myself.

So 6 weeks ago I decided to dive into keto. I planned it out, went food shopping and got to work. I felt weird the first few days as my body was adjusting to it. After that I felt pretty normal although I was a little more tired throught the diet. I will say that I followed it to the T. I did the cardio the way I was supposed to, low intensity, longer duration.

I went into it fearing that I would lose muscle and strength. I did not lose any muscle and I did not lose strength (I can't say I gained any either). I lost 4 lbs. on the scale and my waist size went down (jeans were looser). So these were all positive things.

On the flip side, I have had more success losing fat with moderate carb diets and higher intensity cardio. I can't say that the keto diet was more effective in this regard. Overall I would say this is a decent diet strategy. It's worth a try to see how you react as everyone will get different results. I do think that "enhanced" bodybuilders will probably benefit more from it.

A take away. Throught this I realized that I don't need as many carbohydrates as I once thought. I am now going to take some components from the Palumbo diet (eating more healthy fat/less carbs) and am only going to have starchy carbs with breakfast and post workout.

Great post bro. Everything isnt for everyone and this is case in point. Im glad you were able to shed a lil light on this whole situaton. Now go drink some Torrent lol.

ghost
07-02-08, 12:23 pm
You have to find what works best for you.... while keto has been around for a while, i feel that it has become more mainstream on here because of people like Ox, who have benefitted from it... it didnt work for me. and it wasnt what you are looking for either... gotta do what we know works.

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 12:23 pm
Thanks Viper.

J-Dawg and I are not competing with one another but looking to push one another. We can't train together everyday but we are going to hook up a couple of times a week.

That's right NG. We are looking to push each other, esp. in areas where we may have been lacking or needed a boost. It's time for us to kick it up a notch. For me it's not about the competition, rather the camaraderie of training with someone who has similar goals and outlook on bodybuilding.

Mr. Dead
07-02-08, 12:33 pm
That's right NG. We are looking to push each other, esp. in areas where we may have been lacking or needed a boost. It's time for us to kick it up a notch. For me it's not about the competition, rather the camaraderie of training with someone who has similar goals and outlook on bodybuilding.

Amen!!!

LittleMan55
07-02-08, 1:14 pm
Great post bro. Everything isnt for everyone and this is case in point. Im glad you were able to shed a lil light on this whole situaton. Now go drink some Torrent lol.

In agreement with E!

widdlewade44
07-02-08, 1:17 pm
Definitely subbed and looking forward to your Journeys. Good luck gentlemen, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

bobbymart
07-02-08, 1:19 pm
subbed! great posts so far!

Hoomgar
07-02-08, 1:34 pm
There will be a lot more to come.

Something I've learned along the way, bodybuilding is a marathon, not a sprint. I am looking to improve.

A little recent history. I've been "cutting" if you will, looking to drop some bodyfat. Not looking to get in contest shape but wanted to get leaner. Strength and size is not optimal during this period. I also experimented with keto (Dave Palumbo style) dieting and cardio. I will post my thoughts on that a little later when I have more time.

The focus now is to maintain or even get a little leaner and make the turn toward building more muscle. With some big events coming my way (the Olympia, the Arnold down the road) I want to put on some quality size. Hey if I am going to be standing in a booth next to the likes of Ox and House, I need to step up my game. I am also attending a lot of ABC's and will be taking pics next to some big cats like Enforcer and G Diesel. These guys motivate me.

Totally agree with that bro! And I read your feedback on keto. My feelings are the same. I tried it but only made just over 2 weeks. I never posted about it because of the results but in a nutshell, I can't do keto, my brain even way more than any other part of my body needs those carbs. I don't know the science behind it but for me, no carbs was really bad. I almost started having some problems again with things that went away years ago! On the flip side of that I've seen many do well on it. To each their own way of doing things. To me, my body was designed to use carbs for fuel so I plan on giving it that.

"Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind."

Most people fail b/c they never take time to actually write the program to their success. They dream big but have a sense of futility towards their goals, purpose and efforts. They wander through life hoping that things will fall into place, never realizing that it actually comes from within. You need to see the future in your mind. Once you see it, you can imagine and prepare for your goals. To make 'em happen, ya gotta have your conscience monitor all that you envision. If you have your conscience guiding you in your decisions, you'll be less apt to fail. Just some food for thought.

J, great writing bro. Don't hold back on us, I know you got more like that in you. I'd love to read more from ya sometime.

I shoot for 3-4 servings of l-carnitine per day w/ 1 serving coming an hour before the workout and a second serving shortly after the workout. The other servings would either be in the morning on an empty stomach or prior to bedtime. B/c L-Carnitine is a nutrient responsible for the transport of long-chain fatty acids into the energy-producing centers of the cells (mitochondria), my theory is that there is a chance that more fat will get burned off this way. Also it's also been shown to help promote recovery, decrease lacate production while possibly also positively affecting androgenic responses to resistance exercise (increased testosterone uptake/and increase LH levels).

Also that fat is being utilized for fuel/energy "along" with your natural nutrition sources and not "in place of" them so it is actually a way to get "additional" fuel into your workout. I can attest first hand to the effectiveness of adding this supplement to my workouts in regards to increased recovery between sets. Good stuff, time to sweat!

I'd love to read it!

---------

Diggin this thread fellas, good stuff right here...

Hg

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 3:58 pm
Afternoon Arms Workout 7/2/08

Supersets of Bi's and Tri's.

Biceps:
Standing Straight Barbell Curls - 5 working sets.
15 reps w/ bar
12 reps w/ bar and 20lb. (65lb)
12 reps w/ bar and 40lb. (85lb)
10 reps w/ bar and 50lb. (95lb)
8 reps w/ bar and 60lb. (105lb)
8 reps w/ bar and 70lb. (115lb)

Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls - 5 working sets.
30lbers for 12.
35lbers for 12.
40lbers for 10.
45lbers for 8.
45lbers for 8.

Finished up Biceps w/ a drop set of standing dumbbell curls.
45lbers, 40lbers, 35lbers, 30lbers, 25lbers, 20lbers. As many reps as I could get with each. Turned out to be only about 4 reps with each weight.

Triceps:
Standing Overhead Dumbbell Extensions- 5 working sets.
40lb for 15
55lb for 15
70lb for 15
90lb for 10
90lb for 10

Skull Crushers.
Bar w/ 25s for 12
Bar w/ 35s for 10
Bar w/ 35s for 10
Bar w/ 45s for 8
Bar w/ 45s for 6

Finished up with a few sets of dips. About 20 reps each set w/ bodyweight.

Since I'm a stickler for form, there wasn't much cheating going on with my reps. Just nice, clean sets.

Didn't have enough time for forearms so I'll be hitting 'em tomorrow after chest.
That's it. Nothing fancy. Just pushing myself as hard as I can with each set. For me it's not about how much weight I put up, rather how strict my form is with the weight I put up and how muscle growth is affected by that form.

naturalguy
07-02-08, 4:02 pm
Nice workout J. I will be hitting arms on Saturday.

Enforcer
07-02-08, 4:05 pm
Afternoon Arms Workout 7/2/08

Supersets of Bi's and Tri's.

Biceps:
Standing Straight Barbell Curls - 5 working sets.
15 reps w/ bar
12 reps w/ bar and 20lb. (65lb)
12 reps w/ bar and 40lb. (85lb)
10 reps w/ bar and 50lb. (95lb)
8 reps w/ bar and 60lb. (105lb)
8 reps w/ bar and 70lb. (115lb)

Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls - 5 working sets.
30lbers for 12.
35lbers for 12.
40lbers for 10.
45lbers for 8.
45lbers for 8.

Finished up Biceps w/ a drop set of standing dumbbell curls.
45lbers, 40lbers, 35lbers, 30lbers, 25lbers, 20lbers. As many reps as I could get with each. Turned out to be only about 4 reps with each weight.

Triceps:
Standing Overhead Dumbbell Extensions- 5 working sets.
40lb for 15
55lb for 15
70lb for 15
90lb for 10
90lb for 10

Skull Crushers.
Bar w/ 25s for 12
Bar w/ 35s for 10
Bar w/ 35s for 10
Bar w/ 45s for 8
Bar w/ 45s for 6

Finished up with a few sets of dips. About 20 reps each set w/ bodyweight.

Since I'm a stickler for form, there wasn't much cheating going on with my reps. Just nice, clean sets.

Didn't have enough time for forearms so I'll be hitting 'em tomorrow after chest.
That's it. Nothing fancy. Just pushing myself as hard as I can with each set. For me it's not about how much weight I put up, rather how strict my form is with the weight I put up and how muscle growth is affected by that form.

Setting the bar J. Thats what Im talking about. Show NG wat it takes to be an Animal.

Rexor91
07-02-08, 4:15 pm

Awesome post... you take the 3/4 serving in coordinance with your bodyweight... or just a certain mg% per day? Say, if I weigh more than you... I'd take more?

bobbymart
07-02-08, 4:16 pm
that's a lot of sets lookin goog J!

ghost
07-02-08, 4:16 pm
great job J!!! definitely hitting it good n hard brother.

J-Dawg
07-02-08, 4:17 pm
"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

Growing up you may have been the smartest kid on the block or even the strongest. But what does that get ya if you never put the work in to become better? You end up settling for second best and never actually grow to better yourself. You stay stagnant and think that you can get by on the fact that at one point in your life, you were stronger/smarter than most of the kids your age. Well guess what, you're not getting any smarter if you don't continue to educate yourself w/ books and other materials, just as you won't make any gains if you don't continuously put forth the effort in the gym. It's time to wake up and get your shit in gear. Stop dreaming about what you used to be in the past and start taking your life, at this very moment, into your own hands. I see guys/gals like this all of the time in the gym, just living in the past. It's kinda sad actually. The problem is that they never progress b/c the blinders from the past won't allow them to see just how out of shape they've become. They always talk about how they used to look like this or how they were once the star of the football team in 1980. Well, guess what, that's a long time ago. If you want results now, you need to start working out ASAP. No one wants to hear about how great you looked in 1980 when you look like shit now. So wake up and take the pillow from your head and get moving. Just my thought for the day.

Rexor91
07-02-08, 4:35 pm
It's been a long while J, how's life out in the east?

Hoomgar
07-02-08, 4:35 pm
"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

Thanks you sir! May I have another!

Good stuff J.

Hg

Pizzalamp
07-02-08, 8:24 pm

Growing up you may have been the smartest kid on the block or even the strongest. But what does that get ya if you never put the work in to become better? You end up settling for second best and never actually grow to better yourself. You stay stagnant and think that you can get by on the fact that at one point in your life, you were stronger/smarter than most of the kids your age. Well guess what, you're not getting any smarter if you don't continue to educate yourself w/ books and other materials, just as you won't make any gains if you don't continuously put forth the effort in the gym. It's time to wake up and get your shit in gear. Stop dreaming about what you used to be in the past and start taking your life, at this very moment, into your own hands. I see guys/gals like this all of the time in the gym, just living in the past. It's kinda sad actually. The problem is that they never progress b/c the blinders from the past won't allow them to see just how out of shape they've become. They always talk about how they used to look like this or how they were once the star of the football team in 1980. Well, guess what, that's a long time ago. If you want results now, you need to start working out ASAP. No one wants to hear about how great you looked in 1980 when you look like shit now. So wake up and take the pillow from your head and get moving. Just my thought for the day.
good good post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpIfbneeHg

naturalguy
07-03-08, 8:25 am
Fellas, I went to check out and train at Skiba's gym last night. This is where we will have our next New Jersey ABC. This is a real, hardcore, lifter's gym. I wasn't sure they were going to let a bodybuilder like me in there (joking, they welcomed me). These guys (and gals) that train there mostly train for powerlifting and strongman events. It's a small gym but packed with equipment. There were many pieces of equipment that I didn't recognize.

I was talking to tek about my own training at our last ABC and I have a limitation when I squat. My quads and hips are real strong however my lower back always fatigues before my legs, so I can't squat as much as I should be. tek invited me down for a workout so I told him to take me through the paces. See as a bodybuilder sometimes we have a stubborn mentality and we do the same old workout and techniques because thats what we are "supposed" to do to build muscle. Well sometimes you have to stretch yourself and reach outside of the box.

Here's what went down:

warmup - it's hard to explain the warm ups we did but it was some very unconventional stuff. We warmed up the core and hips and lower back doing stuff I had never seen. If tek comes on he can explain it. My normal warm up is 5 minutes on the treadmill and some light sets of squats.

Box Squats - I've never done them. tek went over the technique with me and also had to teach me to use the monolift. If you've never used one, it's great for squats because you don't have to walk out the weight. You get in position, they lift the levers and your in position to do your set. We did 5 sets of 5 reps and 3 reps working up to 370. It was more than I thought I would do for my first time out.

Front Squats - we worked front squats but with a front squat harness. I struggled with these as the harness digs into your stomach if you don't stay upright (which I was having trouble with) so it was hard to breath. I will get better on these with more practice. We did one drop set for 20 reps. I was breathing heavy and sweating when this set was done.

Reverse hypers - This is a very unique machine that most gyms do not have. It's great for the lower back. It's exactly as it sounds, it's the reverse of a hyper extension and you have weight attached to your ankles. I could not use a lot of weight on these as my lower back is weak but if used regularly I can see myself getting a lot stronger. I wish my gym had this piece of equipment.

Abs - tek says come on we are going to do abs, so I am getting ready for some crunches (stupid bodybuilder, I should have known better), he takes me outside with sledgehammer (I though he was going to whack me LOL) and shows me a technique hitting the sledgehammer on the rubber tires. I am thinking this ain't no ab workout, well I am sore as fuck this morning. Abs and obliques destroyed. We then did a walking swinging lunge with the sledgehammer.

For kicks I wanted to see if I could flip the 500 lb tire. tek showed me the technique and I flipped it once. I can see that it would take a lot of endurance to flip that thing any distance.

I was spent, I slept like a baby last night. Thanks to tek and Skiba for letting me train there and taking me through the paces.

I am really looking forward to this ABC on July 26th, who knows maybe I will enter the tire flipping contest.

McFly
07-03-08, 8:45 am
sounds like a badass fun workout! you guys are going to end up making me drive 2 hours just to see that gym I know it LOL

LittleMan55
07-03-08, 9:10 am
J's arm wo was killer!

NG Skibas sounds like one bad ass place... You really put in some work too!

I now want to leave work and go flip tires all day...

FREEK
07-03-08, 9:22 am
man some good w/o's and writtings going on up in here! NG that gym sounds like a killer place dude....good luck on the journy, and you to J-Dawg I'm subbed.peace

Enforcer
07-03-08, 9:56 am
NG in the tire contest- I cant fuckin wait to see this. All of the Animals are coming out for this one

Wasteland
07-03-08, 10:05 am
J-Dawg runs a log? I'm in for this.

Hoomgar
07-03-08, 10:20 am
You made Skibas sound like an event not to be missed ng. Awesome workout you posted. I agree 100% on the reverse hypers. Last time I saw one was at S&S. I wish we had one at my gym too. That exercise is also good rehab for your low back. I use the kitchen table.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 10:47 am
It's been a long while J, how's life out in the east?

Doing alright out here Rexor. Just taking it one day at a time. How's your training going?

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 10:48 am
Thanks you sir! May I have another!

Good stuff J.

Hg

Glad you like it Hoomgar. I've always loved inspiration quotes because they cause you to step back and really think about things. I'll get up as many as I can.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 10:50 am
good good post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpIfbneeHg

Thanks Grant. That Springsteen song definitely hits home the message.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 10:52 am
Fellas, I went to check out and train at Skiba's gym last night. This is where we will have our next New Jersey ABC. This is a real, hardcore, lifter's gym. I wasn't sure they were going to let a bodybuilder like me in there (joking, they welcomed me). These guys (and gals) that train there mostly train for powerlifting and strongman events. It's a small gym but packed with equipment. There were many pieces of equipment that I didn't recognize.

I was talking to tek about my own training at our last ABC and I have a limitation when I squat. My quads and hips are real strong however my lower back always fatigues before my legs, so I can't squat as much as I should be. tek invited me down for a workout so I told him to take me through the paces. See as a bodybuilder sometimes we have a stubborn mentality and we do the same old workout and techniques because thats what we are "supposed" to do to build muscle. Well sometimes you have to stretch yourself and reach outside of the box.

Here's what went down:

warmup - it's hard to explain the warm ups we did but it was some very unconventional stuff. We warmed up the core and hips and lower back doing stuff I had never seen. If tek comes on he can explain it. My normal warm up is 5 minutes on the treadmill and some light sets of squats.

Box Squats - I've never done them. tek went over the technique with me and also had to teach me to use the monolift. If you've never used one, it's great for squats because you don't have to walk out the weight. You get in position, they lift the levers and your in position to do your set. We did 5 sets of 5 reps and 3 reps working up to 370. It was more than I thought I would do for my first time out.

Front Squats - we worked front squats but with a front squat harness. I struggled with these as the harness digs into your stomach if you don't stay upright (which I was having trouble with) so it was hard to breath. I will get better on these with more practice. We did one drop set for 20 reps. I was breathing heavy and sweating when this set was done.

Reverse hypers - This is a very unique machine that most gyms do not have. It's great for the lower back. It's exactly as it sounds, it's the reverse of a hyper extension and you have weight attached to your ankles. I could not use a lot of weight on these as my lower back is weak but if used regularly I can see myself getting a lot stronger. I wish my gym had this piece of equipment.

Abs - tek says come on we are going to do abs, so I am getting ready for some crunches (stupid bodybuilder, I should have known better), he takes me outside with sledgehammer (I though he was going to whack me LOL) and shows me a technique hitting the sledgehammer on the rubber tires. I am thinking this ain't no ab workout, well I am sore as fuck this morning. Abs and obliques destroyed. We then did a walking swinging lunge with the sledgehammer.

For kicks I wanted to see if I could flip the 500 lb tire. tek showed me the technique and I flipped it once. I can see that it would take a lot of endurance to flip that thing any distance.

I was spent, I slept like a baby last night. Thanks to tek and Skiba for letting me train there and taking me through the paces.

I am really looking forward to this ABC on July 26th, who knows maybe I will enter the tire flipping contest.

Good session NG. If you do the tire flipping contest, I may give it a shot as well!

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 10:52 am
sounds like a badass fun workout! you guys are going to end up making me drive 2 hours just to see that gym I know it LOL

You should definitely make the drive up if you're free.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 10:55 am
J's arm wo was killer!

NG Skibas sounds like one bad ass place... You really put in some work too!

I now want to leave work and go flip tires all day...

Thanks BS.

I feel like challenging NG to a tire flipping contest after our next workout. I don't think he'd be able to keep up, esp. with all the aches and pains he's always complaining about.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 11:20 am
Morning Legs Workout 7/3/08

Supersets of Quads and Hamstrings.

Quads:
Leg extensions - 4 working sets.
25 reps w/ 60lb.
20 reps w/ 100lb
20 reps w/ 120lb
18 reps w/ 150lb

Nice, solid warmup to get blood into the quads.

Leg Press - 5 working sets.
3 plates per side for 15.
5 plates per side for 12.
6 plates per side for 12.
7 plates per side for 12.
7 plates per side for 12.

Nothing spectacular. Just nice, full reps. None of that half ass, barely moving the press machine kinda reps. The reps are a bit higher for the summer months and decrease during fall and winter training.

Hack Squats - 4 working sets.
2 plates per side - 15 reps.
3 plates per side - 15 reps.
4 plates per side - 15 reps.
5 plates per side - 15 reps.

The weights felt light but I was concentrating on strict form for these.

Hamstrings:
Seated Hamstring Curls - 4 working sets.
15 reps w/ 60lb.
15 reps w/ 80lb.
15 reps w/120lb.
15 reps w/ 150lb.

Lying Hamstring Curls - 5 working sets.
15 reps w/ 45lb plate.
15 reps w/ 65lb.
12 reps w/ 2 - 45lb plates.
12 reps w/ 100lb total.
12 reps w/ 100lb total.

Hyperextensions - 4 working sets
15-20 reps per set w/ a 45lb plate.

This is an off week from deadlifts.

All in all it was a solid 50 minute session of supersetting quads with hamstrings. When I'm pressed for time, this does the trick.

LittleMan55
07-03-08, 11:23 am
50 min leg sessions are bruital, and that one looks like it was no exception. Great work bro!

naturalguy
07-03-08, 11:23 am
J - you better start pressing more than 7 plates per side if you want to take me in a tire flipping contest

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 11:30 am
J - you better start pressing more than 7 plates per side if you want to take me in a tire flipping contest

Haha, those were a relatively easy 7 plates on each side that were superset w/ lying hamstring curls. Today was definitely not about massive weight (not every workout can be if you're looking to stay in this game long term). Wait until we train legs one day.

I'm on for the tire flipping contest.

Rexor91
07-03-08, 11:38 am
Doing alright out here Rexor. Just taking it one day at a time. How's your training going?

Good to hear man, training is actually going awesome... finally back to some real numbers. Like you, just a day at a time

Big Wides
07-03-08, 11:45 am

Nice.....freaky numbers in this log....you Jersey and NY bred people know how to pound the weights

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 1:33 pm
The second training session of the day will be coming up shortly. Since I won't be training on the 4th, I gotta hit chest today. Gotta keep it consistent.

McFly
07-03-08, 1:43 pm
You should definitely make the drive up if you're free.

i'll be exactly 2 weeks out from my show...we shall see

Hoomgar
07-03-08, 2:28 pm
Glad you like it Hoomgar. I've always loved inspiration quotes because they cause you to step back and really think about things. I'll get up as many as I can.

J I'm down for as many as you can write my bratha... I love reading that stuff. Most articles on this web site have been consumed several times by me. Cannot pump up the mind too much my friend. This is real to me. Not a game at all. You got the flair for the writing. It's appreciated and enjoyed.

Oh mamma! I gotta see this...

Gotta keep it consistent.

Good on ya J. Lovin the attitude of dedication! One body, one life, one shot, that is what we get.

i'll be exactly 2 weeks out from my show...we shall see

GAHHH! More fuel! If you go I gotta be there. I must see McFly @ 2 weeks out. Crazy!

Hg

Cellerator65
07-03-08, 2:48 pm
good thoughts J, def subbed for this ride

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 4:17 pm
Afternoon Chest Workout 7/3/08

Chest

Incline Dumbbell Press - 10 sets
50s for 15 reps.
70s for 12 reps.
80s for 12 reps.
90s for 10 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 6 reps.
100s for 5 reps. (I was really feeling it on this set. Tried to get a 6th rep but my pecs failed and the weight came crashing down to the floor.)

I was in the mood for a good incline chest workout this week b/c I'd been mainly concentrating on flat bench and flat dumbbell presses for the past 6 weeks. This was a great change of pace and I can feel the muscle soreness already.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes - 5 sets
40s for 15
50s for 15
70s for 10
70s for 8
70s for 6 (really shot at this point)
50s for 10 (nice, rep out set where I focused on really exploding at the top of the movement but not allowing the weights to touch).

That's it. Overall I felt both sessions today were solid. Nothing spectacular but I believe slow and steady is the way to get consistent gains.

Hoomgar
07-03-08, 4:21 pm

Chest

100s for 5 reps. (I was really feeling it on this set. Tried to get a 6th rep but my pecs failed and the weight came crashing down to the floor.)

Slammin the big boys around J. I haven't put 100's up yet. What are you using post workout these days? Any supplements or straight to the food?

calcaneous
07-03-08, 4:22 pm
i noticed that you down animal test with your pre-workout "shake". Do you find it works better this way, as compared to the instructions (taking it with food prior to work out) ?

LittleMan55
07-03-08, 4:23 pm
Great chest work J! I'm with Hg, whats the PWO?

BigAnt
07-03-08, 4:24 pm

Chest

50s for 15 reps.
70s for 12 reps.
80s for 12 reps.
90s for 10 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 8 reps.
100s for 6 reps.

I was in the mood for a good incline chest workout this week b/c I'd been mainly concentrating on flat bench and flat dumbbell presses for the past 6 weeks. This was a great change of pace and I can feel the muscle soreness already.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes - 5 sets
40s for 15
50s for 15
70s for 10
70s for 8
70s for 6 (really shot at this point)
50s for 10 (nice, rep out set where I focused on really exploding at the top of the movement but not allowing the weights to touch).

That's it. Overall I felt both sessions today were solid. Nothing spectacular but I believe slow and steady is the way to get consistent gains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT WORKOUTS,,,,TEARING IT UP !

naturalguy
07-03-08, 4:24 pm
Good workout J.

I am not hitting chest this week. I've been battling an annoying shoulder injury that only flares up when I train chest. I am actually going for A.R.T. therapy tonight for my 1st appointment. I am hoping that A.R.T. can treat it. I will post my thoughts on it after some treatment.

BigAnt
07-03-08, 4:26 pm
Good workout J.

I am not hitting chest this week. I've been battling an annoying shoulder injury that only flares up when I train chest. I am actually going for A.R.T. therapy tonight for my 1st appointment. I am hoping that A.R.T. can treat it. I will post my thoughts on it after some treatment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very cool stuff...hope it finds your shoulder some relief!

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 4:27 pm
Slammin the big boys around J. I haven't put 100's up yet. What are you using post workout these days? Any supplements or straight to the food?

Yeah, the problem with the work gym is that the next step up is 120s, which I'm only able to get 1 or 2 reps with, so to get the most out of my workout, I gotta really slam those 100s for a number of sets. Hoomgar, give it time, it's taken me years to progress up to 100s.
Post workout, I have been doing Ultra Iso Whey Fruit Punch mixed w/ Liquid L-Carnitine. I'm saving Torrent for my bulking time. So in the meantime, I slam an Ultra Iso Whey shake (3 scoops) and then wait 30 minutes before having a meal.

Hoomgar
07-03-08, 4:28 pm

Very cool stuff...hope it finds your shoulder some relief!

Agreed. Heal up ng. Can't have you side lined at the ABC's :)

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 4:29 pm
i noticed that you down animal test with your pre-workout "shake". Do you find it works better this way, as compared to the instructions (taking it with food prior to work out) ?

Well, I usually eat about 1 - 1.5 hour(s) prior to the workout, so I still have the remains in my stomach. I then mix up a serving of Shock Therapy, pop some Beta Ala9 and a serving of Test pre-workout and I'm good to go.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 4:30 pm
Great chest work J! I'm with Hg, whats the PWO?

Thanks man! As I mentioned to Hg, I usually down 3 scoops of Ultra Iso Whey w/ some liquid carnitine, wait 30 mins and then I have a PWO meal.

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 4:30 pm

GREAT WORKOUTS,,,,TEARING IT UP !

Thanks Big Ant! Glad to see you stop in here. How you doing bro?

J-Dawg
07-03-08, 4:31 pm
Good workout J.

Thanks NG. I hope you'll be able to work out the kinks in your shoulder, so that you can join me for some good chest workouts.

Hoomgar
07-03-08, 4:33 pm
Thanks man! As I mentioned to Hg, I usually down 3 scoops of Ultra Iso Whey w/ some liquid carnitine, wait 30 mins and then I have a PWO meal.

I do remember you saying that a page or so back now bro, honest :)

Your a strong guy for as lean as you stay J. Those 100's are not light for anyone! We gotta throw iron together at one of these ABC's coming up.

LittleMan55
07-03-08, 4:33 pm

Ultra Iso Whey is some good stuff, every flavor was great...

pmug0000
07-03-08, 5:34 pm
Damn I'm impressed with that chest workout! Looking strong J-Dawg!

T. Kemble
07-03-08, 7:25 pm

Here's what went down:

E,
you really kicked ass bro. I know alot of the exercised we did were unconventional but im glad you stuck with it and grin and beared. I know today you are sore in places you thought unimaginable, but im glad you came up and we hope to see you more often, i got that text from you thinking you were gonna curse me out haha!
see you soon man. I subscribed to your log now and il be back!

naturalguy
07-04-08, 8:48 am
E,
you really kicked ass bro. I know alot of the exercised we did were unconventional but im glad you stuck with it and grin and beared. I know today you are sore in places you thought unimaginable, but im glad you came up and we hope to see you more often, i got that text from you thinking you were gonna curse me out haha!
see you soon man. I subscribed to your log now and il be back!

I am still sore 2 days later (I cursed you a few times but in a good way). I am glad I went outside the box and you pushed me good. I needed that. I am going to come by for some more workouts.

I went for an A.R.T. consultation and first treatment last night. It was very interesting, they video taped me walking, doing 1 leg squats and rotations for about 40 minutes. They are going to study the video to see if there is an imbalance which can often cause pain elsewhere (my shoulder in this case).

They did some treatment working on trigger points that I have in my rotator cuff, lat and scapula. It was a little painful but I don't care as long as it fixes my shoulder. Time will tell if this will fix my shoulder. I am going back for 2 more treatments on tuesday and thursday. I will keep you updated.

Today is 4th of July. I got up early and hit the gym for 30 minutes of cardio. Going to hit the beach today (if the sun ever comes out).

Hoomgar
07-04-08, 8:54 am
I went for an A.R.T. consultation and first treatment last night. It was very interesting, they video taped me walking, doing I leg squats and rotations for about 40 minutes. They are going to study the video to see if there is an imbalance which can often cause pain elsewhere (my shoulder in this case).

They did some treatment working on trigger points that I have in my rotator cuff, lat and scapula. It was a little painful but I don't care as long as it fixes my shoulder. Time will tell if this will fix my shoulder. I am going back for 2 more treatments on tuesday and thursday. I will keep you updated.

Today is 4th of July. I got up early and hit the gym for 30 minutes of cardio. Going to hit the beach today (if the sun ever comes out).

It's really cool that you got to workout there with those guys ng. I also really hope the A.R.T. treatments help ya out. It sounds like they are prety thorough.

Beach? It's pouring rain all morning here today. Hope it is clear out there!

Hg

Pizzalamp
07-04-08, 9:51 am
I am still sore 2 days later (I cursed you a few times but in a good way). I am glad I went outside the box and you pushed me good. I needed that. I am going to come by for some more workouts.

I went for an A.R.T. consultation and first treatment last night. It was very interesting, they video taped me walking, doing 1 leg squats and rotations for about 40 minutes. They are going to study the video to see if there is an imbalance which can often cause pain elsewhere (my shoulder in this case).

good luck w/ the treeatments...i hope they get some answers for u

beach sounds good...i dont have a beach sticker anymore...please pick me up around 2pm...hell ill even buy u an order of fries
thanks in advance

T. Kemble
07-04-08, 1:04 pm
A.R.T. hurts but it works!!
try my hydrotherapy technique too man, it will work wonders!

talk to u soon bro

Pizzalamp
07-04-08, 11:05 pm
ughhh jdawg...this time limit in between posting posts...frustrating sometimes...what do u think about having a post graveyard where we can post the stuff we gave up on cuz we didnt feel like waiting for the time limit in between posts...lotta good stuff lost over time

naturalguy
07-05-08, 8:15 am
good luck w/ the treeatments...i hope they get some answers for u

beach sounds good...i dont have a beach sticker anymore...please pick me up around 2pm...hell ill even buy u an order of fries
thanks in advance

The beach was a big bust yesterday, it was cloudy, hence why I didn't pick you up.

I wound up taking my 4 year old nephew to see the Hulk. Movie was very good and I was getting all into it and just as the final scene was starting, my nephew insisted on leaving LOL. So I don't know the ending yet, I am assuming Hulk wins. Gonna have to catch then ending.

J-Dawg
07-05-08, 10:14 am
ughhh jdawg...this time limit in between posting posts...frustrating sometimes...what do u think about having a post graveyard where we can post the stuff we gave up on cuz we didnt feel like waiting for the time limit in between posts...lotta good stuff lost over time

Yeah, I wish I could increase it, but the problem is if too many people post at once, it kills the server. I think it's set at 30 seconds?

naturalguy
07-05-08, 11:32 am
Hit the gym this morning for arms. Slammed down some Shock Therapy and 6 Beta Ala9 30 minutes pre workout:

I decided to mix it up today and went with pre exhausting biceps with some isolation movements first (have not done this in a while):

1 arm Hammer Strength Isolation curls 4 sets 15 reps (got 12 on the last set)

Incline dumbell curls - I do these very differently than the conventional way, my arms are almost all the way out to the sides, it's killer and burns like a motherfucker.

4 sets 12 reps

Barbell curls:

4 sets 8 reps

Tri's:

Cable pushdowns:

4 sets 15, 12, 10, 8 reps

Overhead db extensions:

4 sets 8 reps

One arm overhead Hammer strength extensions:

3 sets 12 reps

Forearms:

3 sets wrist curls and reverse curls

Took a pack of Nitro then hit 30 minutes of cardio on the precor.

Post workout: pack of Nitro, 3 scoops Green Apple Torrent

Pizzalamp
07-05-08, 11:40 am
Yeah, I wish I could increase it, but the if too many people post at once, it kills the server. I think it's set at 30 seconds?AH gotcha

Hit the gym this morning for arms. Slammed down some Shock Therapy and 6 Beta Ala9 30 minutes pre workout:

I decided to mix it up today and went with pre exhausting biceps with some isolation movements first (have not done this in a while):

Incline dumbell curls - I do these very differently than the conventional way, my arms are almost all the way out to the sides, it's killer and burns like a motherfucker.

4 sets 12 reps

Barbell curls:

4 sets 8 reps

Tri's:

Cable pushdowns:

Overhead db extensions:

4 sets 8 reps

3 sets 12 reps

Forearms:

good job E...im gonna start doing an arm day, i think my arms need it

when u do the incline curls, do u mean u have your arms out so your palms are kinda face up far away from your body??..i can never get the form down on incline curls

good job w/ the cardio too
thats funny about the hulk movie lol

naturalguy
07-05-08, 11:52 am
AH gotcha

good job E...im gonna start doing an arm day, i think my arms need it

when u do the incline curls, do u mean u have your arms out so your palms are kinda face up far away from your body??..i can never get the form down on incline curls

good job w/ the cardio too
thats funny about the hulk movie lol

On the incline curls, my palms do face up but my arms are out to my sides and I curl the dumbells out to the sides not along side my body like most people do, it's unique maybe we can get up some pics or video some day. It's killer, sick burn, pumps and soreness.

Pizzalamp
07-05-08, 11:57 am
On the incline curls, my palms do face up but my arms are out to my sides and I curl the dumbells out to the sides not along side my body like most people do, it's unique maybe we can get up some pics or video some day. It's killer, sick burn, pumps and soreness.

ahh i know what u mean...i hate the other kind where the bells are on your side...all i ever feel is my delts stretching...i remember seeing pics of arnold doing them like u do...i figure u cant do as much weight the way u do right...i think all i could get is like 25-35lbs...which i guess is better for form anyways

bobbymart
07-05-08, 2:28 pm

4 sets 12 reps

Barbell curls:

4 sets 8 reps

Tri's:

Cable pushdowns:

Overhead db extensions:

4 sets 8 reps

3 sets 12 reps

Forearms:

solid day bro! I like those incline db curls I do em the way you do sometimes it does tend to burn a bit (in a good way).

G Diesel
07-05-08, 6:46 pm
Oh man this thread is a long time overdue... Talk about a place to learn. Two serious brothers who train for the sheer love of the process. J the mad chemist and NG a true student of the game. These guys are two natural trainers with a wealth knowledge. I pick their brains and bounce my half-cocked theories off of them every chance I get. Consider me a regular here. Peace, G

naturalguy
07-07-08, 9:24 am
Oh man this thread is a long time overdue... Talk about a place to learn. Two serious brothers who train for the sheer love of the process. J the mad chemist and NG a true student of the game. These guys are two natural trainers with a wealth knowledge. I pick their brains and bounce my half-cocked theories off of them every chance I get. Consider me a regular here. Peace, G

G - good to have you here. I am going to get the shoulder fixed so benchapalooza can live on!

side note: my biceps are still sore this morning from Saturday's workout. Those incline db curls will be back on the menu now.

naturalguy
07-08-08, 8:17 am
Last night was shoulders. My plan was to lay off pressing until I've had several A.R.T. treatments however my therapist wanted me to try out my shoulder to see how it felt.

I decided to do my side laterals first this way I would be nice and warmed up by the time I hit presses. Also my side delts are probably my worst bodypart so it doesn't hurt to prioritize them.

One arm incline side lateral raises:

4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8

Standing side laterals:

4 sets 8 reps

Standing Military presses:

After several light, high rep warm ups I threw quarters on the bar and did a set, I was not in pain however the delt was very tight so I did not proceed any further. I go for another A.R.T. treatment today so we will see.

Standing dumbell front raises:

4 sets 8 reps

Bent over laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 8, 8

I finished with some rotator cuff work.

Popped a pack of Nitro and hit the precor for 30 minutes. Post workout I popped another pack of Nitro and had 3 scoops Green Apple Torrent.

Gym rant: It is unfortunate that there are no hardcore gyms near where I live. There used to be a GREAT gym called "Johnny Lats". This gym was so well equipped, even better than Gold's Gym Venice and had a great atmosphere. It's a shame that the owner was a terrible business man and could not stay open. The ultimate insult is that there is now a Planet Fitness where this great gym once stood. Blasphemy!!!!!!!

So I train at L.A. Fitness aka Globo Gym. It's fancy and brand new, I despise it but location wise it's the best choice for me. I think thats one of the reasons I love the ABC's so much because I get to train at real gyms. Anyway Globo Gym does not have a seated shoulder press bench. Yes you read that correctly. This huge new facility does not even have the most basic of equipment. They have several shoulder press machines, the only one I feel is decent is the Hammer press. Even the smith machines are fucked up. They have 3 smith machines all of them have the guide rails on an angle!!!! They didn't have the brains to get at least one where the guide rails are straight up and down. I don't understand the purpose of angled guide rails on the smith. Every exercise feels weird on it. So bottom line if I want to do free weight shoulder presses I have to do them standing or dumbells. I can't even take a bench and bring it over to the squat rack to set it up for seated presses because the benches are all bolted down!!!

Ok rant over.

Hoomgar
07-08-08, 11:40 am
I believe I need to move to Jersey!

Giant Killer
07-08-08, 12:06 pm
I can't even take a bench and bring it over to the squat rack to set it up for seated presses because the benches are all bolted down!!!

Damn that sucks NG, the whole time I was reading I was thinking, I'm gonna' recommend what I do! Roll an adjustable bench over to the power rack and go at it.

But bolted benches??? Really now people...

McFly
07-08-08, 12:29 pm
NG, keep us posted on the ART. my massage therapists has suggested i see the ART specialist at her chiro office. I'm curious and have heard good things....looking forward to some real world, real people results....keep us posted.

Themostocles
07-08-08, 12:32 pm
Stupid question, whats ART? -T.

Universal Rep
07-08-08, 12:32 pm
So, is this where the cool fellas are hangin' out? If so, I'm in.

naturalguy
07-08-08, 12:33 pm
Stupid question, whats ART? -T.

Active Release Technique:

http://www.activerelease.com/

Maharg
07-08-08, 12:41 pm
Move the squat rack to the bench.

Enforcer
07-08-08, 12:42 pm
So, is this where the cool fellas are hangin' out? If so, I'm in.

Its like the old folks home here. Juice, cookies, and vitamins for everyone

Universal Rep
07-08-08, 12:49 pm

Well if anyone's got any fiber, I'm in.... I'm guessing NG's got some?

Enforcer
07-08-08, 12:52 pm
Well if anyone's got any fiber, I'm in.... I'm guessing NG's got some?

Heard he has prunes in his gym bag at all times

Mr. Dead
07-08-08, 12:53 pm
Heard he has prunes in his gym bag at all times

And, on cheat days, chocolate Ex-Lax...

Universal Rep
07-08-08, 12:55 pm
If you can't bring people to the roasting thread, then bring the roasting thread here, is that it fellas?

Mr. Dead
07-08-08, 1:02 pm
If you can't bring people to the roasting thread, then bring the roasting thread here, is that it fellas?

I'm not allowed to go to that thread, under penalty of many many red blocks...

Universal Rep
07-08-08, 1:06 pm

For what it's worth, I have many of those green ones... More green than NG has red...

Giant Killer
07-08-08, 1:13 pm

For what it's worth, I have many of those green ones... More green than NG has red...

LOL! U Rep + mighty rep equalizer = shenanigans

naturalguy
07-08-08, 1:53 pm

LOL, I may have to try that.

I just got back from my 2nd A.R.T. treatment and my therapist worked on trigger points in my rotator cuff. He presses on them and has me move my arms through a certain range of motion. Over time this will release the trigger points that are causing the pain. Some of it is uncomfortable and painful but it will be worth it.

Maharg
07-08-08, 1:58 pm
LOL, I may have to try that.

They expect you to move the bench's, they would never expect the powerrack to be moved. Just get some like minded fellas to give you a hand, and there you go.

J-Dawg
07-08-08, 3:05 pm

G, it's great to have you check in here. I've learned a lot from this cat over the years. If it wasn't for G pushing me, I'd be still benching sub 225 lol!

J-Dawg
07-08-08, 3:15 pm
It's vacation this week but I'm not missing a single training session. I've just been waking up extra early to hit the gym so that I can take my son out to see some cool places-- Sesame Place, the aquarium, the beach, etc. Some good father/son bonding time.

Shoulders:
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press:
Warmup w/ bar: 15 reps
135: 12 reps
155: 12 reps
175: 8 reps
185: 6 reps

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
55s: 12 reps
70s: 12 reps
80s: 10 reps
85s: 8 reps

Superset of:
Side Laterals & Rear Delt Pulls w/ Dumbbells:
25s: 12 & 12
25s 10 & 10
30s: 8 & 8 (feeling fried here)
30s 8 & 8 (had to squeeze 'em out)

Calves:
Seated Calf Raises:
6 sets

Calf Raises on Leg Press Machine:
4 sets

Finished up with 30 mins Cardio on the eliptical.

Great workout. I fell asleep at about 9pm last night. Working out at 5am ain't for me, but I gotta do it all this week or else I wouldn't have any other time to go. If you want to workout, no matter what your schedule is, you'll find a way...

J-Dawg
07-08-08, 3:16 pm

Hey hey, that better be NG you're talking about lol.

J-Dawg
07-08-08, 3:18 pm

That was one of my motivations for setting up this thread. Just don't let NG know :D

Big Wides
07-08-08, 3:21 pm
Sesame Place

How that place gives me traffic nightmares.....sometimes makes my commute into work 15-20 minutes longer than normal. Soild workouts J and enjoy the time with your son

Hoomgar
07-08-08, 3:23 pm
It's vacation this week but I'm not missing a single training session. I've just been waking up extra early to hit the gym so that I can take my son out to see some cool places-- Sesame Place, the aquarium, the beach, etc. Some good father/son bonding time.

Great workout. I fell asleep at about 9pm last night. Working out at 5am ain't for me, but I gotta do it all this week or else I wouldn't have any other time to go. If you want to workout, no matter what your schedule is, you'll find a way...

Good on ya bro. Amen to all that...

Great workout too.

Hg

SA-Hulk
07-08-08, 3:31 pm
Problem:

I can't even take a bench and bring it over to the squat rack to set it up for seated presses because the benches are all bolted down!!!
Solution:

Now that is Animal! and that is what i love about this place. No task too big, No problem to complicated!
Animals could rule the world!

Universal Rep
07-08-08, 3:33 pm
That was one of my motivations for setting up this thread. Just don't let NG know :D

The secret is ours, J. No one else has to know. No one. By that I mean, just the two of us would know.

Universal Rep
07-08-08, 3:34 pm

Shoulders:
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press:
Warmup w/ bar: 15 reps
135: 12 reps
155: 12 reps
175: 8 reps
185: 6 reps

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
55s: 12 reps
70s: 12 reps
80s: 10 reps
85s: 8 reps

Superset of:
Side Laterals & Rear Delt Pulls w/ Dumbbells:
25s: 12 & 12
25s 10 & 10
30s: 8 & 8 (feeling fried here)
30s 8 & 8 (had to squeeze 'em out)

Calves:
Seated Calf Raises:
6 sets

Calf Raises on Leg Press Machine:
4 sets

Finished up with 30 mins Cardio on the eliptical.

Mmmmm. Sesame chicken. Do they serve that at Sesame Place?

Solid work, J.

Hoomgar
07-08-08, 3:37 pm
The secret is ours, J. No one else has to know. No one. By that I mean, just the two of us would know.

I promise I wont say a thing about that which I know nothing about to anyone I do or don't know. No?

Hg

Pizzalamp
07-08-08, 8:37 pm
great workout j-dawg!! strong shoulders for sure!

hey i have a question for you...im pretty sure youre not susposed to take efas (like fish oil) with meals rich in fiber(oats, brown rice, etc) but how do u reccomend i take my fish oils and evening primrose oils? with breakfast i have oats, and with lunch i have sweet potatoe or whole wheat wrap?
should i just take my 3 fish oils and 2 evening primrose oils with a shake(proteins and carbs)?
thanks for the help

bobbymart
07-08-08, 8:48 pm
looking good fellas' strong shoulder pressin J

pmug0000
07-08-08, 10:28 pm
Both guys are looking strong. Nothing flashy, just simple, effective and heavy lifting (hence the title I guess). Great work you're both putting in.

naturalguy
07-09-08, 8:01 am
Last night was back:

Close grip pulldowns:

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 7

Bent over rows:

4 sets 8, 8, 8, 6

Chins:

50 reps - it took 6 sets to complete

Seated cable rows:

3 sets 10, 8, 6

Hammer strength shrugs:

3 sets 12, 10, 8

3 scoops Green Apple Torrent w/2 packs Nitro post workout.

ghost
07-09-08, 8:09 am
great workout NG!

J-Dawg
07-09-08, 6:46 pm
great workout j-dawg!! strong shoulders for sure!

hey i have a question for you...im pretty sure youre not susposed to take efas (like fish oil) with meals rich in fiber(oats, brown rice, etc) but how do u reccomend i take my fish oils and evening primrose oils? with breakfast i have oats, and with lunch i have sweet potatoe or whole wheat wrap?
should i just take my 3 fish oils and 2 evening primrose oils with a shake(proteins and carbs)?
thanks for the help

Hey Grant, I don't see any issues with taking EFAs along with a high fiber meal. EFA rich sources like Hemp and Flax are quite high in fiber and may actually improve digestion. I'd say take 'em along with the fiber rich meal.

J-Dawg
07-09-08, 6:47 pm
Last night was back:

Close grip pulldowns:

4 sets 10, 8, 8, 7

Bent over rows:

4 sets 8, 8, 8, 6

Chins:

50 reps - it took 6 sets to complete

Seated cable rows:

3 sets 10, 8, 6

Hammer strength shrugs:

3 sets 12, 10, 8

3 scoops Green Apple Torrent w/2 packs Nitro post workout.

Good stuff NG. Can't wait to train back with ya next week when I get back. You better carb up for that workout!

J-Dawg
07-09-08, 7:04 pm
Another 5am workout.

Back:
Wide Grip Pullups: 50 reps
5 sets to reach 50. My goal in the next month or so would be 4 sets.

Dumbbell Rows:
60s for 12
80s for 10
90s for 10
100s for 8
100s for 8

I do these without a bench or outside support. I just rest my alternate hand on my knee and go for full reps-- almost touching the floor and then pulling the weight all the way back, concentrating on my outer lat. I don't go higher than 100s b/c my form would go to shit.

Machine Rows: (Yeah NG, first time since we trained at the Brigantine ABC that I used a machine movement for back, lol!)
2 plates per side for 15
3 plates per side for 12
3 plates per side for 10 (fatigue was setting in here, no way was I going up in weight. I'm a stickler for good form over moving big weights unless I feel like doing some cheat reps).
Immediately dropped back down to 2 plates and repped it out until failure (10 reps).

Shrugs:
5 sets with dummbells. The gym only goes up to 100s, so I repped out as many as I could each set. Same thing-- full reps, all the way up, squeezing my traps together, and then back down. I think I could add another exercise the mix to hit my traps, maybe some upright rows next time.

Abs:
5 sets of decline crunches for upper/middle abs
5 sets of hanging leg raises for lower abs

Cardio:
30 mins low intensity cardio. Target HR: 125.

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it again. I hate waking up for early morning workouts, however, when I'm done, I feel great. It's a nice way to kick off the day. Afterwards, it was off to Jellybean Jungle with my son and then to the community pool later in the day.

J-Dawg
07-09-08, 7:34 pm
Today was beach day. I headed out early in the morning and drove back late afternoon. Haven't enjoyed a day at the beach in over a year, if I remember correctly. My son loves penguins, so I had to win him one at the arcade/game center. Ever try winning a prize at one of those machines, where ya gotta use that weak ass metal 3 pronged arm? I used to be pretty good at winning toys and stuffed animals from those things. Apparently not anymore. I don't know if I've lost my touch or if they've made those pronged arms even weaker so that the toys slip out even easier now. I'm guessing the latter. It took me about 10 tries before winning the penguin. I probably could have bought him one at about the same price or less, but you know, it's all part of the experience lol. Besides the high price for anything you wanna buy, I'd say the worst thing about the beach is the bathroom. It always seems miles away from where ya set up your things. I brought a cooler with a MRP (Unisyn) which I downed when I got there. 2 bottles of water. An apple. A Carbrite Diet bar. Another bottle of water. End result? 6 trips to bathroom to piss.

Arms Workout: superset workout.
Biceps:
Standing Dumbbell Curls:
30s for 15
35s for 12
40s for 10
45s for 8
50s for 6
40s for 10

Biceps are definitely a strong bodypart for me. I'd rather it be tri's since they make up 2/3s of the arm size but I'll take what I can get.

Seated Preacher Curls:
Bar w/ 25s for 12
Bar w/ 30s for 12
Bar w/ 35s for 10
Bar w/ 35s for 10
Bar with 40s for 8

Full reps here. All the way down and squeeze the biceps at the top. I see a lot of fellas throw on big weight here but never extend far enough to really do much for the muscle. Usually just half reps.

Hammer Curls
25s for 12
30s for 12
35s for 10
35s for 10

Triceps:
Seated Tricep Dumbbell Press
30s for 20
50s for 15
70s for 15
90s for 12
100s for 10
100s for 10

With these I go pretty far down but when I come up, I explode up and stop before the dumbbell would go over my head. I like the constant tension on my tri's.

Skullcrushers:
Used the same weight scheme as for preacher curls.
12, 10, 10, 8, 6

Tricep Kickbacks:
Used the same weight scheme as for hammer curls.
12, 10, 10, 8

Calves:
5 sets of heavier seated calf raises:
12, 12, 10, 10, 10
5 sets of machine calf raises:
15, 15, 12, 12, 10

Cardio:
30 mins of low intensity cardio on the eliptical. 125 Target HR.

Hoomgar
07-10-08, 9:25 am
Dumbbell Rows:

I do these without a bench or outside support. I just rest my alternate hand on my knee and go for full reps-- almost touching the floor and then pulling the weight all the way back, concentrating on my outer lat. I don't go higher than 100s b/c my form would go to shit.

Off the knee! That is Toney Freeman style right there bro. I love doing it that way! Although when I get up over 80 lbs or so I tend to like to put a hand on a flat bench. I find it supports my low back better that way with the heavier weight.

Those DB rows are my one power movement. I can go heavier on them than any other exercise although like you I agree that above 100 lbs form goes to crap. I still do some up there every now and then though to try to get my strength up even more. Record is only 115 lbs for 10 reps but with super crap form LOL!. You did some serious volume in that workout. I love high volume work. At my age I seem to respond well to high volume work but respond to heavy weight work with injuries. I'm working to change that though.

Afterwards, it was off to Jellybean Jungle with my son and then to the community pool later in the day.

Today was beach day. I headed out early in the morning and drove back late afternoon. Haven't enjoyed a day at the beach in over a year, if I remember correctly. My son loves penguins, so I had to win him one at the arcade/game center. Ever try winning a prize at one of those machines, where ya gotta use that weak ass metal 3 pronged arm? I used to be pretty good at winning toys and stuffed animals from those things. Apparently not anymore. I don't know if I've lost my touch or if they've made those pronged arms even weaker so that the toys slip out even easier now. I'm guessing the latter. It took me about 10 tries before winning the penguin. I probably could have bought him one at about the same price or less, but you know, it's all part of the experience lol. Besides the high price for anything you wanna buy, I'd say the worst thing about the beach is the bathroom. It always seems miles away from where ya set up your things. I brought a cooler with a MRP (Unisyn) which I downed when I got there. 2 bottles of water. An apple. A Carbrite Diet bar. Another bottle of water. End result? 6 trips to bathroom to piss.

J, you don't have to cover up your secret fun activities by saying it is for your boy, we understand bro ;)

j/k my man, your a great dad!

You and ng are motivating the crap out of me with this log. Not sure why but I've been looking forward to checking in on this one every morning now.

Keep rockin it fellas!

Hg

J-Dawg
07-10-08, 8:14 pm
Off the knee! That is Toney Freeman style right there bro. I love doing it that way! Although when I get up over 80 lbs or so I tend to like to put a hand on a flat bench. I find it supports my low back better that way with the heavier weight.

Those DB rows are my one power movement. I can go heavier on them than any other exercise although like you I agree that above 100 lbs form goes to crap. I still do some up there every now and then though to try to get my strength up even more. Record is only 115 lbs for 10 reps but with super crap form LOL!. You did some serious volume in that workout. I love high volume work. At my age I seem to respond well to high volume work but respond to heavy weight work with injuries. I'm working to change that though.

Yeah, I love the dumbbell rows off of the knee. It not only hits the back hard, but I can feel it almost everywhere else in my body! For me, these are about equivalent to squats. They knock the wind out of me and by the time I'm done, I'm breathing heavy and gasping for air. I have gone much higher, but as of late, I'm on a good form kick lol and sadly the gym only went up to 100s so I was stuck with that. As for the bad form, ask NG about that, he's been known to start his cheat reps after his first set! LOL.

J, you don't have to cover up your secret fun activities by saying it is for your boy, we understand bro ;)

j/k my man, your a great dad!

Hahaha, you're on to me! Actually, I'm a big kid at heart. I love doing the simplest of activities b/c they tend to be the most rewarding. You're a good father too HG. Bringing your son to the ABCs and letting him take part in one of your passions is awesome!

You and ng are motivating the crap out of me with this log. Not sure why but I've been looking forward to checking in on this one every morning now.

Keep rockin it fellas!

Hg

I'm glad to hear that it's motivating. I find it to be a good place to keep myself in check and perhaps use it as a place for my own mental rants. That really was one of the original goals of The Forvm-- a place where like-minded individuals could talk shop and exchange ideas for the betterment of themselves.

J-Dawg
07-10-08, 8:28 pm
Thursday's workout was postponed due to a long day at Sesame Place lol. It's really not a day off b/c most of it was spent walking under the hot sun, which burned up many more calories than I'm used to. I'll rest up early tonight, get in a bunch of solid food meals prior to bed and hit up legs first thing Friday morning. Chest will get moved to Saturday. Can't wait for legs tomorrow. I wanted to him 'em tonight but would rather get the meals in me so that I can go at it at full strength.

naturalguy
07-11-08, 9:51 am
I had my 3rd A.R.T. treatment last night. It's interesting. We worked on the shoulder but we are also working on rotation, my whole right side is tight and can be contributing to my left shoulder pain. My therapist is getting more aggressive and thats good. I don't mind, I have a high pain tolerance and I know it's only going to help.

I trained Legs last night ( I did not slack off like some people who went to Sesame Place ). I hit it real basic:

Squats:

5 sets - moderate weight - 12, 12, 10, 8, 8 reps

Leg Extensions:

3 sets 12, 12, 10 reps

Good mornings:

4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8

Lying leg curls:

3 sets 12, 10, 8

Standing calf raises:

5 sets 12, 10, 10, 10, 8

I did some abs and stretching. I am really going to try to make an effort to stretch more.

Hit cardio for 15 minutes on the recumbent bike.

Torrent and Nitro afterwards.

Hoomgar
07-11-08, 11:16 am
Good workin the legs NG. I also worked legs last night unlike some of the slackers we have around here :)

Glad to see you maybe getting some answers on that shoulder issue.

Hg

Mr. Dead
07-11-08, 11:22 am
Solid session, NG!!!

Mr. Dead
07-11-08, 4:38 pm
Good workin the legs NG. I also worked legs last night unlike some of the slackers we have around here :)

Hg

Uhm... Am I one of those slackers...?

Hoomgar
07-11-08, 4:49 pm
Uhm... Am I one of those slackers...?

Legs? Slacker? You? No, not working bro, can't use those three words together in a sentence unless it is to say "Bro, You are no Slacker when it comes to doing Legs". Hey that works :)

Neither is the J-Dawg but I just felt like giving him a little roasting since, you know, he is after all the king of the roasting threads ;)

LOL!

Pizzalamp
07-11-08, 8:48 pm
thanks jdawg!

and naturalguy...great workout!!!!

naturalguy
07-12-08, 11:13 am
Jellybean Jungle sounds hardcore J!

I hit arms this morning:

Standing alternate dumbell curls:

3 sets 8 reps

Incline dumbell curls:

4 sets 12, 10, 9, 9

Standing barbell curls:

3 sets 8, 6, 6 - it's amazing how much less weight you use on these after your fatigued from other exercises

Tricep rope extensions:

4 sets 12, 12, 10 10

Overhead db extensions:

3 sets 8, 6, 6

Dips:

bodyweight 3 sets 15, 15, 12

forearms

I hit the elliptical for 30 minutes then sipped on Torrent and 2 packs of Nitro.

May hit the beach today as it's nice out.

Hoomgar
07-12-08, 3:01 pm
I hit the elliptical for 30 minutes then sipped on Torrent and 2 packs of Nitro.

May hit the beach today as it's nice out.

Great workout ng. The beach sounds like a great idea too. Wish we lived closer to it.

Pizzalamp
07-12-08, 10:12 pm
Naturalguy, my fellow iron warrior, I have 3 ?s for u...
1)are u coming to the ABC in CT this Sat?
2)what will u be training?
3)Is there a chance I could train with you?

LittleMan55
07-13-08, 2:33 pm
Nothing but solid work being done in here still... Way to get the job done NG and J-Dawg!

shizz702
07-13-08, 3:04 pm
Awesome work here guys!

naturalguy
07-14-08, 8:08 am
Naturalguy, my fellow iron warrior, I have 3 ?s for u...
1)are u coming to the ABC in CT this Sat?
2)what will u be training?
3)Is there a chance I could train with you?

Grant,

1. Unfortunately no. I am going to miss the CT crew, I like hanging and training with you guys. I will make the next event

How come you didn't ask me for a ride? LOL

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:04 pm

Hg

Ouch, lol.

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:05 pm
Jellybean Jungle sounds hardcore J!

Hey, don't knock Jellybean Jungle. It's more hardcore than you think! ;)

B Con
07-14-08, 3:27 pm
damn how did I overlook this... subbed for you two maniacs

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:46 pm
J-Dawg is back in action and ready to update the rest of the workouts that took place during vacation.

Friday's Legs Workout:
Quads
Squats: (First time doing squats in 3 months so I had to take it easy :( )
135 for 15
225 for 12
225 for 10
245 for 10
275 for 8

Since it's my first time hitting up squats in months, no sense in trying to be a tough guy. Just ATGs. I like to squat deep and I really focus on driving up with my quads. Even though I'm cutting, these weights should start to go up in the next few weeks.

Leg Press:
3 45s per side: 12 reps
4 45s per side: 12 reps
5 45s per side: 12 reps
6 45s per side: 10 reps
7 45s per side: 10 reps

Hack Squats:
2 45s per side: 15
3 45s per side: 12
4 45s per side: 12
5 45s per side:12

Leg Extensions:
3 sets 20 reps each.

Hamstrings:
Lying Leg Curls:
80lb for 15
100lb for 12
120lb for 12
140 for 10

Seated Hamstring Curls:
80lb for 15
100lb for 12
100lb for 12
120lb for 10

Hyper extensions:
As many reps as possible over 4 sets w/ body weight. 50 reps.

Abs:
Lower Abs: 5 sets
Upper Abs: 5 sets.

Mr. Dead
07-14-08, 3:47 pm
J-Dawg is back in action and ready to update the rest of the workouts that took place during vacation.

Legs Workout:
Squats: (First time doing squats in 3 months so I had to take it easy :( )
135 for 15
225 for 12
225 for 10
245 for 10
275 for 8

Since it's my first time hitting up squats in months, no sense in trying to be a tough guy. Just ATGs. I like to squat deep and I really focus on driving up with my quads. Even though I'm cutting, these weights should start to go up in the next few weeks.

Leg Press:
3 45s per side: 12 reps
4 45s per side: 12 reps
5 45s per side: 12 reps
6 45s per side: 10 reps
7 45s per side: 10 reps

Hack Squats:
2 45s per side: 15
3 45s per side: 12
4 45s per side: 12
5 45s per side:12

Leg Extensions:
3 sets 20 reps each.

Hamstrings:
Lying Leg Curls:
80lb for 15
100lb for 12
120lb for 12
140 for 10

Seated Hamstring Curls:
80lb for 15
100lb for 12
100lb for 12
120lb for 10

Hyper extensions:
As many reps as possible over 4 sets w/ body weight. 50 reps.

Abs:
Lower Abs: 5 sets
Upper Abs: 5 sets.

Awesome leg session!!!

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:51 pm
Sunday's Chest Workout:
Incline Press:
135 for 12
185 for 12
205 for 10
215 for 8
225 for 6

Decline Press:
135 for 12
185 for 10
185 for 10
205 for 8
205 for 7

Flat Dumbbell Press:
65s for 12
80s for 10
90s for 8
90s for 6 immediately down to 70s for 8

Abs:
Lower Abs/Upper Abs for 10 sets

Calves: 6 sets of machine presses for calves.

LittleMan55
07-14-08, 3:54 pm
2 more solid wo J! Nice leg day... How did it feel to squat again after 3 months? Great chest work too!

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:56 pm
AM: 30 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach.

PM: Shoulders.

Standing Dumbbell Presses:
40s for 15
55s for 12
70s for 10
70s for 8
80s for 6
80s for 6
70s for 6

Seated Military Press:
135 for 12
155 for 8
155 for 6
155 for 6
155 for 6
155 for 5

I love doing these after I'm already exhausted. I get a great pump when hitting dumbbells first and barbells second.

Finished up with a massive set up side laterals:
35s for 8, 30s for 7, 25s for 8, 20s for 10, 15s for 10.

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:56 pm
Awesome leg session!!!

Thanks Mr. Dead. Just trying to do what I can.

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 3:58 pm
2 more solid wo J! Nice leg day... How did it feel to squat again after 3 months? Great chest work too!

Thanks for the feedback BS. Even though I've been hitting legs hard with other exercises, my legs are still sore!! I did these Friday morning and cardio was still painful today. Gotta love squats. I forgot what I was missing, lol.

naturalguy
07-14-08, 4:01 pm
Tomorrow we deadlift together...............................it ain't gonna be no Jellybean Jungle, best bring your "A" game

Big Wides
07-14-08, 4:01 pm
J or NG....what are your expert opionions on front raises?

naturalguy
07-14-08, 4:15 pm

My opinion, the front delts get a lot of stimulation from shoulder pressing and chest pressing however if your front delts are in need of more work then front raises are a good exercise.

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 4:16 pm

My feeling is that front delts are hit pretty hard on chest day and when shoulder pressing, so I don't do any direct front delt work. If I have time, I may throw them in at the end of the workout.

J-Dawg
07-14-08, 4:17 pm
Tomorrow we deadlift together...............................it ain't gonna be no Jellybean Jungle, best bring your "A" game

Looking forward to it. Let's step up our game tomorrow.

LittleMan55
07-14-08, 4:17 pm
Thanks for the feedback BS. Even though I've been hitting legs hard with other exercises, my legs are still sore!! I did these Friday morning and cardio was still painful today. Gotta love squats. I forgot what I was missing, lol.

Yeah Squats are a personal favorite! If you do them right they should always leave you sore. haha Your shoulder work looked solid as hell today too...

T. Kemble
07-14-08, 4:25 pm
Rip those wheels fellas! Looking forward to see the numbers

naturalguy
07-15-08, 8:04 am
I hit shoulders at Globo gym last night. I had another A.R.T. treatment yesterday as well. I was ready to test my shoulder.

Seated side laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8

Hammer shoulder press:

3 sets 12 reps - Kept it light, only went up to 2 plates each side, there was no pain which is an improvement however the deltoid was getting tighter as I went up in weight. I was hoping that I had progressed a little more than that but I realize these things take time.

Standing alternate dumbell presses:

3 sets 12, 10, 10 - moderate weight, no pain and no tightness so that was great. I may use these in my routine for a while. I've never alternated them before and that was a new challenge.

Bent over laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 8, 8

Standing one arm side laterals:

2 sets 10 reps

Popped a pack of Nitro and hit the elliptical for 30 minutes

Had a pack of Nitro and Green Apple Torrent post workout.

I am ready to take on J-Dawg today with a nasty back workout!

B Con
07-15-08, 8:09 am
Destroy the back...

Solid looking shoulder workout NG... keep building it

J-Dawg
07-15-08, 8:12 am
I hit shoulders at Globo gym last night. I had another A.R.T. treatment yesterday as well. I was ready to test my shoulder.

Seated side laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8

Hammer shoulder press:

3 sets 12 reps - Kept it light, only went up to 2 plates each side, there was no pain which is an improvement however the deltoid was getting tighter as I went up in weight. I was hoping that I had progressed a little more than that but I realize these things take time.

Standing alternate dumbell presses:

3 sets 12, 10, 10 - moderate weight, no pain and no tightness so that was great. I may use these in my routine for a while. I've never alternated them before and that was a new challenge.

Bent over laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 8, 8

Standing one arm side laterals:

2 sets 10 reps

Popped a pack of Nitro and hit the elliptical for 30 minutes

Had a pack of Nitro and Green Apple Torrent post workout.

I am ready to take on J-Dawg today with a nasty back workout!

Good workout NG. Looking forward to the back workout later today. Hope that A.R.T. treatment is kicking in. Gonna need it after today.

Pizzalamp
07-15-08, 9:32 am
jdawg.great leg day...impressive hacks

natural guy-solid shoulder day..i want to try the alt presses

LittleMan55
07-15-08, 11:16 am
Great shoulder day NG!

J-Dawg
07-15-08, 9:40 pm
NG and I hit up a nice, basic back workout-- deads, barbell rows and pull ups.

Deads:
135 x 15
135 x 12
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 4
405 x 2

Just some chalk used on the last two sets. No wrist wraps or belt used like the old guy I'm training with...

Barbell Rows:
135 x 12
185 x 12
225 x 10
245 x 8

Chalk used on the last 2 sets. No wrist wraps or belt.

Wide Grip Pull Ups:
4 sets: 40 reps total.

That's it. Nothing fancy but I'm sure my lats will be feeling it tomorrow.

I haven't really put my supplement protocol or diet down in here. I'll add that up soon.

Pizzalamp
07-15-08, 9:51 pm
great job guys

natural guy i wanna work out w/ u next week...please give me a ride to your gym...ill even buy you one of the green animal iconic tees if u do

naturalguy
07-16-08, 7:59 am
NG and I hit up a nice, basic back workout-- deads, barbell rows and pull ups.

Deads:
135 x 15
135 x 12
225 x 10
315 x 6
365 x 4
405 x 2

Just some chalk used on the last two sets. No wrist wraps or belt used like the old guy I'm training with...

Barbell Rows:
135 x 12
185 x 12
225 x 10
245 x 8

Chalk used on the last 2 sets. No wrist wraps or belt.

Wide Grip Pull Ups:
4 sets: 40 reps total.

That's it. Nothing fancy but I'm sure my lats will be feeling it tomorrow.

I haven't really put my supplement protocol or diet down in here. I'll add that up soon.

Great workout that I am feeling this morning. J-Dawg certainly pushed me. Yeah, yeah some of us use belts and straps, gotta do what you gotta do.

We cranked up some music to motivate us, the soundtrack was J-Dawg's "Best of Poison" CD (and he calls me old).

great job guys

natural guy i wanna work out w/ u next week...please give me a ride to your gym...ill even buy you one of the green animal iconic tees if u do

hmmmmmmmm, green Iconic sounds cool

LittleMan55
07-16-08, 8:08 am
Great work out J and NG!

Green Iconic tees???????

B Con
07-16-08, 9:04 am
LMAO Best of Poison...

Sounds like a simple, effective back day... great job NG and J... can't beat deads, bo rows, and pull ups...

WTF.. a green iconic tee?

J-Dawg
07-16-08, 1:03 pm
Great workout that I am feeling this morning. J-Dawg certainly pushed me. Yeah, yeah some of us use belts and straps, gotta do what you gotta do.

We cranked up some music to motivate us, the soundtrack was J-Dawg's "Best of Poison" CD (and he calls me old).

Was definitely a kick ass workout. I know I tease NG about being old a lot, but whenever we get the chance to train together, we always tear it up.

J-Dawg
07-16-08, 1:03 pm
Great work out J and NG!

Green Iconic tees???????

Hahaha, how'd this rumor start? :O

J-Dawg
07-16-08, 1:04 pm
LMAO Best of Poison...

Sounds like a simple, effective back day... great job NG and J... can't beat deads, bo rows, and pull ups...

WTF.. a green iconic tee?

Can't beat some old school hair metal when training.

B Con
07-16-08, 1:14 pm

Do you sing along to "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" ... I can just picture yall in there jamming out, air guitar and all... LOL

LittleMan55
07-16-08, 1:16 pm

Do you sing along to "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" ... I can just picture yall in there jamming out, air guitar and all... LOL

LMAO! Why the air guitar, could pick up a bar and use it for one. I just wonder what that one would be named?

J-Dawg
07-16-08, 2:45 pm

Lol, we actually skipped that song when lifting. Though it's an all time classic, I can't lift heavy when I hear that power ballad :P

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:05 pm
Abs:
Superset--Lying leg lifts off of a bench w/crunches on a bench.
5sets each. 10 total.

Calves:
10 sets of standing calf raises. 4 plates.
As many reps as possible.

Mr. Dead
07-17-08, 4:11 pm
Abs:
Superset--Lying leg lifts off of a bench w/crunches on a bench.
5sets each. 10 total.

Calves:
10 sets of standing calf raises. 4 plates.
As many reps as possible.

Do you ever do 100's for calves...?

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:21 pm
Superset of bi's and tri's.

Biceps:
10 sets of dumbbell curls.
30s for 15
40s for 12
45s for 12
50s for 10
50s for 8
55s for 8
55s for 6
55s for 6
55s for 6
45s for 10

Hammer Curls
35s for 12
40s for 10
40s for 10
40s for 10

Triceps:
Skull Crushers
warmup.
Bar w/ 25s: 15
Bar w/ 25s: 12
Bar w/ 35s: 12
Bar w/ 35s: 10
Bar w/ 35s: 8

Tricep Cable Pushdowns.
Plated loaded contraption.
w/ 20s per side: 15
w/ 30s oer side: 12
w/ 35s per side: 10
w/ 40s per side: 10

Short and sweet. 50 mins total.

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:22 pm
Do you ever do 100's for calves...?

I love 100s! That's where ya do as many as ya can with a reasonable weight for 40-50 and then each set after that you shoot for 15-20 per?

Roland
07-17-08, 4:23 pm
Looking good guys, nice arm workout J.

Mr. Dead
07-17-08, 4:26 pm
I love 100s! That's where ya do as many as ya can with a reasonable weight for 40-50 and then each set after that you shoot for 15-20 per?

Nope... final set 100 reps, with a weight you can hit it straight through... The burn and the nausea/vomitting are worth it, though...

They're also great on leg extensions...

LittleMan55
07-17-08, 4:40 pm
Superset of bi's and tri's.

Biceps:
10 sets of dumbbell curls.
30s for 15
40s for 12
45s for 12
50s for 10
50s for 8
55s for 8
55s for 6
55s for 6
55s for 6
45s for 10

Hammer Curls
35s for 12
40s for 10
40s for 10
40s for 10

Triceps:
Skull Crushers
warmup.
Bar w/ 25s: 15
Bar w/ 25s: 12
Bar w/ 35s: 12

Tricep Cable Pushdowns.
Plated loaded contraption.
w/ 20s per side: 15
w/ 30s oer side: 12
w/ 35s per side: 10
w/ 40s per side: 10

Short and sweet. 50 mins total.

Great work J! Bet that one produced a nasty pump?

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:43 pm
Nope... final set 100 reps, with a weight you can hit it straight through... The burn and the nausea/vomitting are worth it, though...

Haven't tried 100 straight! On my light calf day, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:43 pm
Looking good guys, nice arm workout J.

Thanks for stopping by Roland. How ya doing out in Cali?

Universal Rep
07-17-08, 4:44 pm
What ya runnin' these days fellas? Any crazy Universal/Animal concoctions?

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:44 pm
Great work J! Bet that one produced a nasty pump?

Thanks BS! I had a heck of a pump after the workout. Too bad it doesn't last that long, lol.

Mr. Dead
07-17-08, 4:46 pm
Haven't tried 100 straight! On my light calf day, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

The pain/burn is rather unique... *L*

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 4:49 pm

U. Rep. here's my supplement routine at the moment:

Fat Burning:
2 servings of Zero G
3 servings of Liquid Carnitine

Protein Powder:
Milk and Egg Vanilla-- 1.5scoops w/ 1 scoop of Advanced Soy Pro Apple Cinnamon in the morning upon waking. (Best tasting mix!)

Milk and Egg Vanilla-- 1.5scoops w/ 1 scoop of Advanced Soy Pro Apple Cinnamon in the morning before sleeping.

Ultra Iso Whey Fruit Punch-- 2.5 scoops PWO.

Ergogenics:
Beta Ala9 & Shock Therapy

Multi-Vitamin:
Sport Pharma's Multi-V. (Sport Pharma Rep got me hooked on this).

Test Booster:
Animal Test

EFA:
Animal Omega: 2x per day.

Universal Rep
07-17-08, 4:50 pm
U. Rep. here's my supplement routine at the moment:

Fat Burning:
2 servings of Zero G
3 servings of Liquid Carnitine

Protein Powder:
Milk and Egg Vanilla-- 1.5scoops w/ 1 scoop of Advanced Soy Pro Apple Cinnamon in the morning upon waking. (Best tasting mix!)

Milk and Egg Vanilla-- 1.5scoops w/ 1 scoop of Advanced Soy Pro Apple Cinnamon in the morning before sleeping.

Ultra Iso Whey Fruit Punch-- 2.5 scoops PWO.

Ergogenics:
Beta Ala9 & Shock Therapy

Multi-Vitamin:
Sport Pharma's Multi-V. (Sport Pharma Rep got me hooked on this).

Test Booster:
Animal Test

EFA:
Animal Omega: 2x per day.

I trust that liquid carnitine is Carni-Tech... Hahaha. Nothing too crazy. G's the mad scientist when it comes to supps...

J-Dawg
07-17-08, 5:05 pm
I trust that liquid carnitine is Carni-Tech... Hahaha. Nothing too crazy. G's the mad scientist when it comes to supps...

G is indeed the mad scientist, lol. I like to stick to the basics with some Test and M-Stak thrown in every so often. Gotta love that Carni-Tech though. Great fat-burning supplement.

naturalguy
07-17-08, 5:09 pm

Here's my current supplement program:

Staples: Animal Pak, Flex, Omega

Animal Test & Stak (just finishing up my 2nd cans)

Beta Ala9

Shock Therapy (not every workout but most)

Torrent and Nitro post workout

Others: Zero G for the summer

Protein: Ultra whey pro rotated with Ultra Iso Whey

Mr. Dead
07-17-08, 5:11 pm
Here's my current supplement program:

Staples: Animal Pak, Flex, Omega

Animal Test & Stak (just finishing up my 2nd cans)

Beta Ala9

Shock Therapy (not every workout but most)

Torrent and Nitro post workout

Others: Zero G for the summer

Protein: Ultra whey pro rotated with Ultra Iso Whey

Are you going to run M-Stak after the Test and Stak...?

Pizzalamp
07-17-08, 5:35 pm
whats a normal day of food like like for u two?

naturalguy
07-18-08, 8:22 am
Are you going to run M-Stak after the Test and Stak...?

That is the plan. I will most likely take a week off after Test and Stack then hit M-stak for 2 cans in a row.

I am eating pretty clean right now:

Meal 1: 6 eggs (3 whole/3 white) 2 slices ezekiel bread

Meal 2: 6 oz. chicken, 1/3 cup raw almonds, 1 scoop Ultra whey pro

Meal 3: 2.5 scoops Ultra Whey pro, 2 tbsp natty peanut butter

Meal 4 (pre training): 6 oz. Tilapia, 1 cup vegetables

Meal 5: Torrent (post workout)

Meal 6: varies, 6-8 oz. lean meat (chicken, fish, beef), salad & 1/2 cup brown rice

On Sundays this plan goes out the window, anything goes, I enjoy pizza, chinese even ice cream, no set plan.

LittleMan55
07-18-08, 8:39 am
That is some really clean eating NG! Stack looks in order too. 2 cans of m-Stak when you finish the test explosion combo? reasons please?

J-Dawg
07-18-08, 9:13 am

Good question. I haven't yet posted up my diet.

Here's a typical day:

5:30am
16oz of Green Tea w/ Zero G & Carnitech.

6:00am
2 scoops of Milk & Egg Vanilla (moved it up from 1.5) and 1 scoop of Apple Cinnamon Advanced Soy Pro w/ 16oz water.
1 Gala Apple.

7:00-7:30pm (Currently)
Cardio/Abs/Calves would be performed around this time throughout the week.

8:00-8:30am
2 lean cuts of meat (Chicken/Pork/Fish/Beef).
1 cup of veggies (broccoli/asparagus/green beans/carrots).
1 carb source (brown rice/white rice/ potatoes).
1 Pack of Animal Omega.

10am
Zero G with Carnitech.

11:00am
Same as 8am.

1:00pm
Carnitech.
Shock Therapy.
Beta Alanine.
Animal Test.
Closer to the workout-- 3 scoops of Ultra Iso Whey that I sip throughout the workout.

2:00pm (workout)

3:00pm
Finish up the serving of Ultra Iso Whey (1.5 scoops left).

3:30pm
1 peach.
2 servings of lean meat (usually 2 sirloin burgers or chicken).

5:30pm
1 High Protein bar for the ride home.

7:00pm
2 servings of lean meat w/ veggies.
(carbs if needed).

9:00pm
2 scoops of Milk & Egg Vanilla (moved it up from 1.5) and 1 scoop of Apple Cinnamon Advanced Soy Pro w/ 16oz water.

J-Dawg
07-18-08, 9:17 am
That is the plan. I will most likely take a week off after Test and Stack then hit M-stak for 2 cans in a row.

I am eating pretty clean right now:

Meal 1: 6 eggs (3 whole/3 white) 2 slices ezekiel bread

Meal 2: 6 oz. chicken, 1/3 cup raw almonds, 1 scoop Ultra whey pro

Meal 3: 2.5 scoops Ultra Whey pro, 2 tbsp natty peanut butter

Meal 4 (pre training): 6 oz. Tilapia, 1 cup vegetables

Meal 5: Torrent (post workout)

Meal 6: varies, 6-8 oz. lean meat (chicken, fish, beef), salad & 1/2 cup brown rice

On Sundays this plan goes out the window, anything goes, I enjoy pizza, chinese even ice cream, no set plan.

Good breakdown you've got there NG. Very clean.

naturalguy
07-18-08, 9:19 am
That is some really clean eating NG! Stack looks in order too. 2 cans of m-Stak when you finish the test explosion combo? reasons please?

I am a big fan of M-stak, I just feel that 1 can is good but I am just building momentum with that 1 can and I think 2 cans is optimal as far as results.

LittleMan55
07-18-08, 9:25 am
I am a big fan of M-stak, I just feel that 1 can is good but I am just building momentum with that 1 can and I think 2 cans is optimal as far as results.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing for when I run the test explosion pack this fall. What do you think about running M-Stak while on the test explosion stack? over kill. Wait about a week for the test and Stak to kick in, then add one can of M-Stak. Finish it off with the 2 cans like you mentioned.

naturalguy
07-18-08, 9:25 am
Last night was teh leg session.

No squats this week as I just did deads on Tuesday.

Leg extensions:

4 sets 12 reps

Leg press:

3 sets 12 reps (8 plates per side)

Hack Squats:

2 sets (haven't hit these in a long time)

Seated leg curls:

4 sets 12 reps

Standing calf raises:

4 sets 12 reps

12 reps was the theme last night, that was the goal and man where my quads pumped!

Hit my Torrent and 2 packs Nitro post training.

J-Dawg
07-18-08, 11:46 am
Last night was teh leg session.

No squats this week as I just did deads on Tuesday.

Leg extensions:

4 sets 12 reps

Leg press:

3 sets 12 reps (8 plates per side)

Hack Squats:

2 sets (haven't hit these in a long time)

Seated leg curls:

4 sets 12 reps

Standing calf raises:

4 sets 12 reps

12 reps was the theme last night, that was the goal and man where my quads pumped!

Hit my Torrent and 2 packs Nitro post training.

Good stuff NG. Only 1 exercise for hamstrings though? Those deads must have really torn ya up, lol.

LittleMan55
07-18-08, 11:49 am
Great leg day NG! Its amazing how you can get a pump on leg day even with out squats. I pull that change up from time to time, just to give the body the ole WTF treatment.

Mr. Dead
07-18-08, 11:55 am
Great stuff, NG!!! Always love leg day...

naturalguy
07-18-08, 12:02 pm
Good stuff NG. Only 1 exercise for hamstrings though? Those deads must have really torn ya up, lol.

Exactly, my hammies are still a little sore from deads.

A great bodybuilder once said "stimulate, don't annihilate"

J-Dawg
07-18-08, 2:43 pm
Exactly, my hammies are still a little sore from deads.

A great bodybuilder once said "stimulate, don't annihilate"

A great bodybuilder also once said, "gotta train hammies to get hammies".

Enforcer
07-18-08, 2:45 pm

I believe that was the infamous J Dizzle

Hoomgar
07-18-08, 4:56 pm

Did my first set straight through just last night!

Great workouts in here fellas.

Hg

Mr. Dead
07-18-08, 4:57 pm
Did my first set straight through just last night!

Great workouts in here fellas.

Hg

Sweet!!!

naturalguy
07-18-08, 5:05 pm

One day J we will train legs together.......................................... ............................................a day you may regret

Hoomgar
07-18-08, 5:15 pm
One day J we will train legs together.......................................... ............................................a day you may regret

That sounds like a dare ...

Mr. Dead
07-18-08, 5:27 pm

I wanna play too!!! (Just gotta find a way to get to the East Coast...)

Pizzalamp
07-18-08, 7:29 pm
your diets look good guys

jdawg-i notice u eat before u do your cardio in the am...do u not believe in fasted cardio?

and a random ? for both you guys...how did u manage your diets during the arnold expo? did u guys carry coolers w/ u, etc?

naturalguy
07-18-08, 8:31 pm

jdawg-i notice u eat before u do your cardio in the am...do u not believe in fasted cardio?

and a random ? for both you guys...how did u manage your diets during the arnold expo? did u guys carry coolers w/ u, etc?

At the Arnold, I wasn't dieting that strictly.I got in a good breakfast and I ate a lot of Proteon bars while working the booth and escaped for a quick sandwich and ate a real meal at night.

Pizzalamp
07-18-08, 8:38 pm
At the Arnold, I wasn't dieting that strictly.I got in a good breakfast and I ate a lot of Proteon bars while working the booth and escaped for a quick sandwich and ate a real meal at night.

GOTCHA THANKS

Hoomgar
07-18-08, 10:00 pm

mmmm, Proteon bars...

I see they discontinued the Protria bars. Any news why? My wife and even myself loved them.

naturalguy
07-21-08, 2:04 pm
mmmm, Proteon bars...

I see they discontinued the Protria bars. Any news why? My wife and even myself loved them.

Not sure but if they ever discontinue Proteon, someone is in trouble!

I did an arm workout this weekend, not gonna post it up though.

This weekend I was inspired. Inspired by the story of Vinny Galanti. Vin's been banging on the door to a pro card for 13 years. Coming very close many times. I am sure there are people in this world that wrote him off and assumed that he would never get his card. But at 40 years old, Vinny put together his best package to date and won the overall at the Master's Nationals. He's on the other side now. He's earned the right to step on a pro stage and compete with the best. A life long dream for him.

It's a great story because of the person that Vinny is. Helpful, fun and someone I am proud to call a friend. I feel really good for him and I am inspired by his story.

B Con
07-21-08, 2:10 pm
Definitely love to hear Vinny's story... he is a great guy and very down to earth.. he was very helpful at the Arnold as well and I am glad he grabbed that Pro Card.. he looked amazing in the photos too

naturalguy
07-22-08, 9:46 am
Last night was shoulders at Globo gym. Sipped on some Shock Therapy on the way:

Hammer shoulder presses:

4 sets 12 reps. No pain but my delt did get tight as I went higher in weight

Standing alternate db presses:

3 sets 8 reps

Seated side laterals:

3 drop sets 6 reps, drop weight then 6-7 more reps

Bent over db laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 8, 8

Standing one arm dumbell side laterals:

3 sets 8 reps

Cardio 20 minutes precor. Torrent and Nitro post, you know the drill.

J-Dawg
07-22-08, 9:56 am

I normally have a protein shake upon leaving my house. On the days that I don't do cardio, I also include an apple. On cardio days, I just do the shake. The only problem is that the darn gym I belong to (near work) is 55 miles away so I'm forced to have something in my system about an hour before cardio.

My diet during the Arnold, is usually a big breakfast and lots of shakes during the day. The Arnold is so crazy that usually I won't get that much free time to eat when the show is open. After the show is closed I try and shoot for 2 more clean meals prior to sleeping. Not the best diet but for 4 days out of the year, I make do, lol!

J-Dawg
07-22-08, 10:04 am
mmmm, Proteon bars...

A quick secret-- The Doctors Carbrite Diet bars are very similar to Protria.

J-Dawg
07-22-08, 10:05 am

This weekend I was inspired. Inspired by the story of Vinny Galanti. Vin's been banging on the door to a pro card for 13 years. Coming very close many times. I am sure there are people in this world that wrote him off and assumed that he would never get his card. But at 40 years old, Vinny put together his best package to date and won the overall at the Master's Nationals. He's on the other side now. He's earned the right to step on a pro stage and compete with the best. A life long dream for him.

It's a great story because of the person that Vinny is. Helpful, fun and someone I am proud to call a friend. I feel really good for him and I am inspired by his story.

NG, it's never too late for you to break out the posting trunks for a comeback. Best poser 2009 anyone?

LittleMan55
07-22-08, 10:09 am
Last night was shoulders at Globo gym. Sipped on some Shock Therapy on the way:

Hammer shoulder presses:

4 sets 12 reps. No pain but my delt did get tight as I went higher in weight

Standing alternate db presses:

3 sets 8 reps

Seated side laterals:

3 drop sets 6 reps, drop weight then 6-7 more reps

Bent over db laterals:

4 sets 12, 10, 8, 8

Standing one arm dumbell side laterals:

3 sets 8 reps

Cardio 20 minutes precor. Torrent and Nitro post, you know the drill.

Great work NG! Solid as usual...

J-Dawg
07-22-08, 10:10 am
Flat Bench Press:
135 X 12
135 X 12
185 X 10
225 X 8
235 X 5
235 X 4

This is my weakest lift. Working to bring it up but I'm not really worried about the weight, just the proper use of form and feeling.

Dumbbell Press:
70s x 12
90s x 8
90s x 8
100s x 8
100s x 6
100s x 5

1 set of drop flyes-- 70s, 55s, 45s, 35s.

LittleMan55
07-22-08, 10:14 am
Great chest work J!

Hoomgar
07-22-08, 10:20 am

I agree with that ng, This was long over due and well deserved and it made my day as well to see my bro land this! This is the end of one chapter of Vinny's life and the start of a new one.

A quick secret-- The Doctors Carbrite Diet bars are very similar to Protria.

Thanks J.

Nice shoulders and chest sessions you two. Keep layin it down fellas...

Hg

Enforcer
07-22-08, 10:26 am
Flat Bench Press:
135 X 12
135 X 12
185 X 10
225 X 8
235 X 5
235 X 4

This is my weakest lift. Working to bring it up but I'm not really worried about the weight, just the proper use of form and feeling.

Dumbbell Press:
70s x 12
90s x 8
90s x 8
100s x 8
100s x 6
100s x 5

1 set of drop flyes-- 70s, 55s, 45s, 35s.

Nice work J. Make sure to keep ur arms straight on them flyes lol

B Con
07-22-08, 10:46 am
Solid work J... you will have that chest pumped in no time... great work

J-Dawg
07-22-08, 10:57 am
Quads:

Squats:
135 x 15
185 x 15
225 x 12
245 x 12
275 x 8
275 x 6

Slow on the way down to concentrate on the negative, explosive on the way up but stopping very slightly short of actually standing. The goal here is continuous tension and not letting the muscle rest. It feels great to be squatting once again.

Leg Press:
3 plates per side x 15
4 plates per side x 15
5 plates per side x 12
6 plates per side x 12
7 plates per side x 10
7 plates per side x 10

Leg Extensions
4 sets to finish up (12 each set).

Hamstrings:
Lying Leg Curls
5 sets (15, 12, 12, 10, 10)