PDA

View Full Version : Colon Cleanse?

Ricky P
07-07-08, 1:06 pm
Wondering if any other fellow Animals have considered or have done an intenstinal or colon cleanse.... A couple guys I work with just did a "Master Cleanse" which was basically drinking a lemonade/maple syrup mixture for two weeks straight. No food, just that drink and a salt water flush in the morning.. I'm not thinking of something that serious, or even that lengthy, but wondering if anyone has done a flush or taken colon cleanse pills to rid your system of any undigested meats and toxins that may be clogged up inside. I think it's important it happened at some point, but I've been giving it serious though just because I've felt very "clogged" or "bloated" lately.

Anyone?

naturalguy
07-07-08, 1:16 pm
I don't think it's necessary to go to that extreme. Adding a fiber supplement to your regime is a good idea though.

eblnyc
07-07-08, 1:18 pm
they have a detox tea that work well...

Ricky P
07-07-08, 1:20 pm
As far as just adding more fiber goes, is that going to be as efficient as flushing out my system? I know with a cleanse you can lose 8-10 lbs. and easily tone up. Not looking for a short cut, that's not even my goal - But I do want to feel lighter and a little less bloated. I mean, I EAT! But lately I've been struggling to finish meals.. It's just been a concern and it's been magnified lately with some co-workings doing the cleanse they did. Is adding more fiber to the diet just the same as doing more cardio to speed up your metabolism?

Ricky P
07-07-08, 1:21 pm
they have a detox tea that work well...

You have the name of the tea? or a website by any chance?

naturalguy
07-07-08, 1:56 pm
As far as just adding more fiber goes, is that going to be as efficient as flushing out my system? I know with a cleanse you can lose 8-10 lbs. and easily tone up. Not looking for a short cut, that's not even my goal - But I do want to feel lighter and a little less bloated. I mean, I EAT! But lately I've been struggling to finish meals.. It's just been a concern and it's been magnified lately with some co-workings doing the cleanse they did. Is adding more fiber to the diet just the same as doing more cardio to speed up your metabolism?

Fiber will help clean out your system. I would also look into digestive enzymes and probiotics (like acidophilus).

Enforcer
07-07-08, 2:19 pm
Fiber will help clean out your system. I would also look into digestive enzymes and probiotics (like acidophilus).

I know that at his age, NG has to have 3 serving of prunes a day to help things flow correctly

bobbymart
07-07-08, 2:32 pm
I know that at his age, NG has to have 3 serving of prunes a day to help things flow correctly

HA HA... that's quality comedy right there

xandt
07-08-08, 2:12 am
Read the 1st place response to "What is the Best Detox Plan" here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek121.htm

The guy goes over how a detox works and how you can do it yourself without buying any kits. I guess you can pick and choose from different home-made methods depending on what you want out of it.

I bought a detox kit though. Much easier that way. I also ate very clean, even cleaner than on a cut diet. In the end you do feel much lighter and energetic (among other benefits) but you'll definetly loose that "light" feeling once you start eating red meat, etc once more.

You can also get a colonic which I hear is just as good (for colon cleaning anyways). It's also called colon irrigation or something. You pretty much pay $80 and they shove some tubes up your ass that clean everything out of your colon using water. It lasts an hour, it's NOT an enema, and it doesn't hurt. That's what I read anyways. It's a "different" way of doing a colon cleaning but it lasts 1 hour versus 2 weeks with the pills.

TEMPER
07-08-08, 2:21 am
isnt there a faster way to suck all that crap out? like with a vacuum or something?

DEADn
07-19-08, 3:56 pm
I have used what is known as the HECKMAN FLUSH. You take take 2 activated charcoal tabs, 2 senna tabs, super or ultra cleanse herbal supplement (they act as natural scrubbers) and finally psyillium husks. You put the powder in water and drink it down fast.

The charcoal counteracts the toxins being flushed from the body. Aids against headaches and can even cut down on gas. For me the psyillium husks are the hardest part. It smells like freshly cut grass but it does the trick.

The Misfit
07-24-10, 5:02 pm
I have used what is known as the HECKMAN FLUSH. You take take 2 activated charcoal tabs, 2 senna tabs, super or ultra cleanse herbal supplement (they act as natural scrubbers) and finally psyillium husks. You put the powder in water and drink it down fast.

The charcoal counteracts the toxins being flushed from the body. Aids against headaches and can even cut down on gas. For me the psyillium husks are the hardest part. It smells like freshly cut grass but it does the trick.

Bumping this thread. It somewhat seems discussions on diet and training take center stage whilst discussions concerning preventative health measures are seldom brought into the spotlight.

Of up-most importance (it could be said, of equal importance) in the iron pursuit is nutrition/diet. Yes the key to growth and recovery (part of the key, rest/sleep is also vital). Unfortunately excessive eating (as in the case with many gym enthusiasts) does take it's toll over time? (be that minor o major). Internally things can get a bit "clogged up" resulting in poor internal function.

Detox or internal cleansing is one of the preferred/popular methods of "un-clogging" things internally. Most detox/cleansing programs have the individual running through a somewhat "extreme" fast, consuming lime juice, maple syrup, olive oil etc etc. over a period of time (14-30 days). In the pursuit of muscle mass (which is what most of us are here for), fasting for such a period of time would "seem" if not "be" detrimental to our pursuit.

Adding to DEADn's reply. The Heckman flush. Researched it (I've been chronically flatulent as of recent). Overall, seems great. Have not run through it, YET. The best thing about this flush is that it caters to the gym-rat. Whilst running the flush, one is still able to carry on through with their regular/normal diet and training...yes no extreme fasting or living off maple syrup and lime juice!!

All in all, if one is consistently consuming adequate fiber in the form of vegetables, fruits, oats etc. and taking in adequate amounts of water then things should flow regularly and smoothly. But there is no harm in occasionally cleaning things out.

Here is the link to the actual HECKMAN DIET THREAD (from another forum): The Heckman Flush (http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=19652)

Below is an introduction to internal health from Heckman, explaining the importance of internal health:

Health Begins In The Colon

The human body is a metabolic car engine. We supply it with Fuel (food), it runs a pump (heart), an onboard computer (brain), electrical system (nerves), and requires an oil filter (liver).
I remember as a kid, as a prank, occasionally someone would stuff a potato up a car’s exhaust pipe. When you tried to start the car, it would only run for a few seconds before it would sputter and die. The same happens to the human body if the waste channel is stopped, you die within a few days.
But with most people it isn’t stopped, just malfunctioning, sluggish and constricted, which causes our body to back-up and overflow with toxic and poisonous waste material, run badly and get diseased.

With almost every American, this waste is slowly building up in the body fat, muscles, organs, just about everywhere. The average American stores from 6 to 10 pounds of fecal waste in their colon, this is NOT healthy.

When the backed up poisons reach critical levels, this can cause just about every disease known, your weakest organs and cells get sick and even die. This is one of the most common causes of disease today in America.
How could so many seemingly unrelated health problems be caused by constipation?

I remember when I was a kid and my older brother got his car, it was a 1950 Ford station wagon. Being more mechanically inclined, I did most of the work on it getting it to run. I used to be able to open up the hood, sit on a front fender with my feet and legs actually dangling inside the engine compartment and work on the engine, change spark plugs, whatever.

Get the picture, BIG CAR, BIG HOOD, little engine, lots of room. Nowadays, I open up the hood of my 1998 Ford Expedition and I just shut it right back up. Every square inch under the hood is jammed, packed with engine parts, power pumps, wires, hoses, pipes, filters, it is too complex, and even if I understood it, THERE IS NO ROOM to work on it. NO SPACE!
What’s my point? I used to think our anatomy was like my brother’s 1950 Ford, you know, a lung up here, a kidney down there, a bowel in the middle, with lots of room. Then one day in naturopathic school, I examined my first cadaver and WOW, what an engineering experience.

The human anatomy is not like my brother’s 1950 Ford at all, its like my 1998 Ford, every square inch is packed with something and everything is touching something else. This body of ours must have some incredible engineer.
Everything has its place and THERE IS NO EXTRA ROOM! If one organ swells or gets bigger, then another organ, usually the one next to it, gets squeezed, compressed or even worse, crushed.

Organs don’t work so well when they are crushed, and the blood, lymphatic, nerve and general circulation gets interrupted. Every organ needs good circulation to get nutrition in and waste out in order to be healthy. Squeezed and compressed organs get sick.

The entire colon is so big that it is connected to, touches, sits next to or is in the vicinity of every major organ in the human body except the brain. It also touches most of your major blood vessels and nerves.

Constipation causes the colon to literally swell, expand and even herniate. And according to the leading medical books, it is happening to all of us! So when an area of the colon gets constipated, and swells, it compresses and crushes the organ next to it. This could be the lungs, the heart, the liver and gall bladder, the pancreas, the kidneys and adrenals, the uterus, the prostrate, again, almost every major organ in the body.

This is simply why a constipated swollen colon can cause an almost endless amount of seemingly unrelated diseases and problems and I haven’t even discussed toxic build up in the colon that literally oozes into your blood and infects and poisons not just the nearby organs, but every organ and every cell in the body.
What’s the bottom line? A sluggish, constipated, swollen bowel, retaining pounds of fecal matter can either compress a nearby area causing disease, or emit infection and toxins which can affect and infect any area of the body.
This explains why about 80% of patients that came into my clinic healed their heart problems, fertility problems, liver problems, cholesterol problems, immune problems, blood sugar problems, adrenal and lack of energy problems, prostate problems, digestive problems, lower back problems, leg circulation and nerve problems, the list is almost endless.
They healed themselves by cleaning out their colons before I ever did any specialized treatment for their problem.
No matter how far removed the problem seems from the colon, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to do a bowel cleansing program instead of brain surgery, cleanse the bowel first and see what happens. If you’re like most people, you will be thrilled with the results."

pfelder
07-24-10, 7:26 pm
sounds like something i might give a try.

Shukin
07-24-10, 8:22 pm
Wondering if any other fellow Animals have considered or have done an intenstinal or colon cleanse.... A couple guys I work with just did a "Master Cleanse" which was basically drinking a lemonade/maple syrup mixture for two weeks straight. No food, just that drink and a salt water flush in the morning.. I'm not thinking of something that serious, or even that lengthy, but wondering if anyone has done a flush or taken colon cleanse pills to rid your system of any undigested meats and toxins that may be clogged up inside. I think it's important it happened at some point, but I've been giving it serious though just because I've felt very "clogged" or "bloated" lately.

Anyone?
I did the master cleanse when I was in collage, really flushed me out of all kinds of toxins, but I also lost bulk, ended up with a nice Bruce Lee style build, which in college was good, girls like that build.
I recently have been using just the salt water cleanse from that plan to "flush" out, and it does flush you out! If you do it, do it on an off day when you have a couple of hours to go to the john and Flush out. You drink 1.5 liters, 27 fl oz of warm spring or distilled water with
two rounded teaspoons of sea salt, it is a lot but get it all down, set you watch and 30 mins later it's coming out the other end.... all of it!

Shukin

B. Rowe
07-24-10, 10:24 pm
can say myself i have done colonics, they are not all that uncomfortable besides the female that is in the room assisting you but i did feel much better. only problem is the price, they suggest you do a few weeks consecutively then do then every 2-3 weeks after.

The Misfit
07-24-10, 11:15 pm
can say myself i have done colonics, they are not all that uncomfortable besides the female that is in the room assisting you but i did feel much better. only problem is the price, they suggest you do a few weeks consecutively then do then every 2-3 weeks after.

I feel sympathy towards the female who has to assist with mine.

N. Motta
12-20-11, 1:49 pm
Just bumping an old thread to ask if someone could help me find the page, where Ox talked about a cleanse/detox involving apples.

Thanks.

Bruiser
12-20-11, 2:14 pm
Just bumping an old thread to ask if someone could help me find the page, where Ox talked about a cleanse/detox involving apples.

Thanks.

I remember the article in MD but don't recall a thread on here. I'll look though.

Aggression
12-20-11, 2:38 pm
I've thought about doing this in the past. But I found other, easiest way to deal with it with much success.

- Metamucil. I take two servings per day; in the morning and at night.
- Smooth Moves Tea: found right in your standard aisle of teas. Take one cup of this stuff at night and the next morning, you're emptying out pretty damn well.

Of course, it all comes down to your diet. If you're eating healthy foods and staying hydrated, the process will be a lot easier. However, if you're eating shit foods and not drinking enough, its going to be a rough ride no matter what you do.

Phil800101
12-20-11, 2:43 pm
White Castle. Eat a sack of ten and then wait a few hours. Delicious, and effective.

Aggression
12-20-11, 2:49 pm
White Castle. Eat a sack of ten and then wait a few hours. Delicious, and effective.

lol. Although very true, not too many people want to ingest a few thousand calories just to get a bowl movement, lol.

Mr. Dead
12-20-11, 3:03 pm

lol. Although very true, not too many people want to ingest a few thousand calories just to get a bowl movement, lol.

I get the same effect from a platter of biscuits and gravy... *LOL*

Jay
12-20-11, 4:33 pm
My doctor said that detox stuff can actually put more stress on your body so i stick to metamucil.

Not sure if its around here anywhere but OX had an write up where he ate apples all day and then some cider vinegar?? or something for just a one day detox.

Kill i oughtta
12-20-11, 4:55 pm
Fiber Fiber Fiber

Carrnage
12-20-11, 6:46 pm

Anyone?

You feel clogged/bloated lately?

Let me guess, you eat oatmeal, sweet potatoes on a daily basis right? How many times do you eat "greens" a day? Greens as in green veggies or green supplements.

Start eating a green salad with every meal, find carbohydrate sources that are gluten free and dont cause you problems. Start taking a greens product like spirulina/alfalfa based. Green Tea 2x a day.

^^^^ That will keep your body clean and healthy. Not to mention more anabolic!

I think Universal should make their own greens product. "Animal Greens". haha im sure you guys could figure out a better name though!

Phil800101
12-20-11, 7:29 pm
Seriously though, as has been said I think the best thing to do is keep the fiber, water, and greens intake high.

Supplemental fiber is cheap (generic stuff is just fine), you can mix the powder with just about anything, and besides helping keep you regular it helps with the absorption of nutrients.

As well all know though, just like with protein you'll want to have natural sources as well as supplemental. Greens are a great way to get the fiber in, as are many other vegetables and fruits.

On top of all that, drinking enough water throughout the day is essential.

Personally, I think the only time you should be doing any kind of colon cleansing is before a colonoscopy. We have a digestive system for a reason, the key is to keep it running properly and effectively.

N. Motta
12-20-11, 8:30 pm
I remember the article in MD but don't recall a thread on here. I'll look though.
Thanks man

I've thought about doing this in the past. But I found other, easiest way to deal with it with much success.

- Metamucil. I take two servings per day; in the morning and at night.
- Smooth Moves Tea: found right in your standard aisle of teas. Take one cup of this stuff at night and the next morning, you're emptying out pretty damn well.

Of course, it all comes down to your diet. If you're eating healthy foods and staying hydrated, the process will be a lot easier. However, if you're eating shit foods and not drinking enough, its going to be a rough ride no matter what you do.
Thanks bro, I'll give that a go

Haha, keep it simple I guess right?

...Not sure if its around here anywhere but OX had an write up where he ate apples all day and then some cider vinegar?? or something for just a one day detox.
BINGO! That's exactly what I'm remembering and looking for.

You feel clogged/bloated lately?

Let me guess, you eat oatmeal, sweet potatoes on a daily basis right? How many times do you eat "greens" a day? Greens as in green veggies or green supplements.

Start eating a green salad with every meal, find carbohydrate sources that are gluten free and dont cause you problems. Start taking a greens product like spirulina/alfalfa based. Green Tea 2x a day.

^^^^ That will keep your body clean and healthy. Not to mention more anabolic!
Thanks man, I'll buckle down and get more of the good stuff in.

N. Motta
12-20-11, 8:35 pm
Found my answer fellas. Thanks for the help.

Madcat
12-23-11, 11:00 am
Actually when I take my month off all supplements, which is usually every 2-3 months, I drink about 2/3 a bottle of prune juice. It loosens things up big time and not to sound gross but you will see things that were lining your intestines coming out that will make you realize how unhealthy our diets are.

I use Kroger brand cheap stuff, bout 5 dollars, and do it about 3 times a year. Next one is weekend following New Years, after the holidays is a great time to do something like this. Then I drink a bottle of pedylite right after and have a real meal the day following.

N. Motta
12-23-11, 12:22 pm
Actually when I take my month off all supplements, which is usually every 2-3 months, I drink about 2/3 a bottle of prune juice. It loosens things up big time and not to sound gross but you will see things that were lining your intestines coming out that will make you realize how unhealthy our diets are.

I use Kroger brand cheap stuff, bout 5 dollars, and do it about 3 times a year. Next one is weekend following New Years, after the holidays is a great time to do something like this. Then I drink a bottle of pedylite right after and have a real meal the day following.

If one was eating plenty of raw fruits and vegetables, along with an adequate amount of water every day, what is so unhealthy about eating big portions of unprocessed carbohydrate and protein sources?

Madcat
12-23-11, 2:27 pm
I was just speaking generally, not saying everyone is eating bad, sorry if it sounds like that. I know that during my holiday's I travel every weekend, all weekend, and spend most of the time places that working out just aren't options, middle of nowhere, and eat what is available(Im broke).

But Im sure its not a true cleanse, but it definitely, will remove some buildup etc. which helps in digestion of the restart of supplements, protein, etc.

NJC_Manhattan
12-28-11, 12:19 pm
I think it would be smart to go to a place like Quest Diagnostics and get blood taken in addition to nutrition tests. They can monitor your body's ability to synthesize amino acids, how quickly it absorbs minerals and acids, free floating testosterone, among a plethora of other useful information.

You can then utilize this information with a nutritionist to set up a proper detox for your body.

Wycked
12-28-11, 3:49 pm
Colonics are great for bodybuilders especially around show time as they help keep the abdominal region flat and tight. U must be careful though if getting colonics year round or with any frequency because although they do rid the body of bad toxins in the colon and intestines they also rid the body of the good floria that's there too. I recommend if your r getting colonics regularly that u get a very good probiotic and double the dose after the colonic is performed to flood the intestines with good bacteria