PDA

View Full Version : Can ya feel me now?

Hoomgar
07-11-08, 2:03 pm
Your just doing this to get attention.

You will be onto another hobby by this time next year.

This is just another one of those things you do for a while then quit.

What are you trying to prove?

Who are you trying to impress?

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Why can't you be normal like every one else?

------------

Maybe some of you have never had these questions or statements thrown at you. I am guessing though that there are more of you who have than those of you who have not. People ask us these things as well as many many other things.

I believe they are not trying to be ignorant or hurtful. I don't think that they really feel there is something wrong with you. I honestly believe that majority of this comes from a shear curiosity that is spawn out of a lack of understanding. We are raised to fear anything that we do not know or understand.

This is what makes those of you in this life who have attained great progress and gains get titled as FREAKS! Because you are. Look up the definition of the word.

------------

So why do we do it? What is the drive? For each person it is a different reason, a different cause that got them started and then ultimately addicted to the iron. yet, deep within, it is almost always the same core reason that drives these differences.

What is it that makes us do it? It's a quest for constant improvement but a million reasons stated will not truly define what it is that drives us. It's much more than a desire, nothing close to a fantasy. It's a reality. You either get it, or you don't.

It's not just a game or "something that you are doing right now" at this point in your life. It isn't a mid-life crisis, not a vanity thing, not done for anyone else yet still isn't really about being selfish at all...

There is a drive to become better, stronger, bigger than yesterday. A drive so strong it brings about a level of determination that confuses and even concerns certain people in our lives. Yet, it's all good, there is no hidden "issue" that drives us to do this. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I believe it is a journey in which we find out who we really are. A process we put ourselves through to test our metal and see if we are really made out of the stuff that we grew up being told we were made out of by those who spoke positive words over our lives.

Can I do this? Where does it end? Is there an end? Can I do more? Will I continue to grow stronger, bigger? Do I like what I am doing? Really? No, no I think I LOVE IT! Yes! I do, I love it! This is for me, it is part of what I do and those who don't understand may call it shallow, but it is a huge part of what defines us as the individuals that we are.

It's a quest, a journey, a path that we must and WILL follow. The cold hard truth is that it doesn't end. It never stops unless we do.

It's the call of the iron in the minds and hearts of every one of us. Those of you who have been bitten by this iron bug, this life of lifting and progress, you know what I'm talking about.

If you read this and you have no idea what I am saying then what does that mean? Should i be concerned for you? No, you can do what you want to with your life, your body, the one shot you have been given on this planet. I chose my path, you chose yours.

This is the best answer I can give to all those questions at this time in my life. This leaves me with one thing left to. I have to ask you...

Can ya feel me now?

Hg

Giant Killer
07-11-08, 2:20 pm
Very poignant bro...reading posts like these makes that fire inside flare up even stronger. Yo society! I'll do what I do and you do what you do- game, set, match.

InkdMuscle
07-11-08, 2:40 pm
x2. Like I say I wasnt born to live up to your expectations nor where you born to live up to mine. I am going to train and train and do what I do. THis is my life if you want to join then jump on or get the fuck off the tracks.

MonTanaMusCle
07-11-08, 3:00 pm
Thats a damn good read thanks for the inspiration brother .........

shizz702
07-11-08, 3:05 pm
Awesome post bro! I can totally relate and identify with what you are saying!

Hollow
07-11-08, 3:09 pm
I hear you Hoomgar...great post!

Crash
07-11-08, 3:23 pm
I have learned over the course in my brief existance on this planet, that any fool can do anything, but not every fool can do everything. We stand here as a crowd set apart from the masses, but that by itself does not define us. Beware the Haters and Imitators. There are those who truly have awsome physiques, and outstanding work ethics. Yet, they are far from the breed we have defined as Animal. True Animals strive for Strength in Character, and Honor in Oursleves in our Actions. Let us not sell ourselves short in this quest. For every time the battle cry is heard, we will answer the call.

...Strength and Honor...

Carpe Diem P.T
07-12-08, 5:27 am
some people do it purely for vanity but big ups to them. its hard fuckin work whatever your purpose. its not a tummy tuck or some sort of operation u can do in a day. its dedication and mental strength no matter why u do it.

dyskee
07-12-08, 7:30 am
they will never understand us because they lack the initiative to be better , they lack the discipline required and because ther are ignorant

Cellerator65
07-12-08, 11:10 am
the ignorant cant fathom what hard work really is.... they dont know the meaning of blood sweat and tears.

Chin
07-12-08, 3:06 pm
Hg, you know I only kid about you guys being old... but age is all relative.... and this is a post just shows how much more life experience you guys bring to the table...

Its invaluable... I only wish when I get set up in my life I can be as understanding and knowable as you guys... Excellent post my friend...

Chin

Hoomgar
07-12-08, 3:33 pm
Hg, you know I only kid about you guys being old... but age is all relative.... and this is a post just shows how much more life experience you guys bring to the table...

Its invaluable... I only wish when I get set up in my life I can be as understanding and knowable as you guys... Excellent post my friend...

Chin

Oh I know it and love it bro. It's all in good fun. I don't joke around like that though with people who are not of like mind. You and me... we know it's all in fun because we share a mindset. Those who don't, they take offense because they think you insulted them. Deep down, this shows/proves that they know they should be doing something about their current state of shape. It's called guilt, and that is what drives the offense.

You people on here are mostly strangers to me but have become real life virtual friends and we draw on one another to strengthen each area where weakness tries to hide. It is understood without question when a brother or sister of the iron shines the light on a darkened area of weakness that the goal is help us eliminate those areas and become stronger.

Only people of like mind have this comradre' between each other. To the rest of the world, we are all freaks.

Point in case... today I hammered my back. I left the gym feeling exhausted, run down, ready to puke even but I had a smile on my face as I made my way to the car in pain.

I sit here typing, hurting, aches and pains here and there, I love it! The people in my life who represent the "negative" side I brought out here look at these things and call me stupid. I've been called a retard. Told I am acting like a child. It's stupid. There is no end to the hurtful comments I have received by those who should be my support.

I got news for ya, at this point in my journey... my back hurts worse than there words do anymore. I've learned to like the pain and I stand up and stretch and feel a little growl come up inside me as I flex my sore beaten muscles to get blood and O2 into them.

So it simply depends who you ask I guess? I am a retard, childish, stupid and even shallow but I am also determined, strong, encouraging and if you ask my boy, I'm SuperMan!

Ask me and I'll tell you I'm 42 and tired of being tired and weak. The time to make a change has come and is long underway. I'm doing this... it doesn't matter what "they" say anymore.

~driven

Hg

Mighty Kev
07-13-08, 9:08 am

------------

Maybe some of you have never had these questions or statements thrown at you. I am guessing though that there are more of you who have than those of you who have not. People ask us these things as well as many many other things.

I believe they are not trying to be ignorant or hurtful. I don't think that they really feel there is something wrong with you. I honestly believe that majority of this comes from a shear curiosity that is spawn out of a lack of understanding. We are raised to fear anything that we do not know or understand.

This is what makes those of you in this life who have attained great progress and gains get titled as FREAKS! Because you are. Look up the definition of the word.

------------

So why do we do it? What is the drive? For each person it is a different reason, a different cause that got them started and then ultimately addicted to the iron. yet, deep within, it is almost always the same core reason that drives these differences.

What is it that makes us do it? It's a quest for constant improvement but a million reasons stated will not truly define what it is that drives us. It's much more than a desire, nothing close to a fantasy. It's a reality. You either get it, or you don't.

It's not just a game or "something that you are doing right now" at this point in your life. It isn't a mid-life crisis, not a vanity thing, not done for anyone else yet still isn't really about being selfish at all...

There is a drive to become better, stronger, bigger than yesterday. A drive so strong it brings about a level of determination that confuses and even concerns certain people in our lives. Yet, it's all good, there is no hidden "issue" that drives us to do this. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I believe it is a journey in which we find out who we really are. A process we put ourselves through to test our metal and see if we are really made out of the stuff that we grew up being told we were made out of by those who spoke positive words over our lives.

Can I do this? Where does it end? Is there an end? Can I do more? Will I continue to grow stronger, bigger? Do I like what I am doing? Really? No, no I think I LOVE IT! Yes! I do, I love it! This is for me, it is part of what I do and those who don't understand may call it shallow, but it is a huge part of what defines us as the individuals that we are.

It's a quest, a journey, a path that we must and WILL follow. The cold hard truth is that it doesn't end. It never stops unless we do.

It's the call of the iron in the minds and hearts of every one of us. Those of you who have been bitten by this iron bug, this life of lifting and progress, you know what I'm talking about.

If you read this and you have no idea what I am saying then what does that mean? Should i be concerned for you? No, you can do what you want to with your life, your body, the one shot you have been given on this planet. I chose my path, you chose yours.

This is the best answer I can give to all those questions at this time in my life. This leaves me with one thing left to. I have to ask you...

Can ya feel me now?

Hg

Inspiring, thanks for that Hg

Hoomgar
07-15-08, 12:16 pm
Inspiring, thanks for that Hg

You bet bro. Most of the battle is in our minds.

Hg

Hoomgar
07-27-09, 12:20 pm

The complete post quoted above can be found here: http://forum.animalpak.com/showpost.php?p=449779&postcount=1

--------

It's been over a year since I made that post. I'M STILL HERE!!! I'm still doing it...

Just sayin ;)

Hg

Maccabee
07-27-09, 11:59 pm
I here ya brother. Every time I grab a hold of the bar some thing inside me comes alive.

strivin for more
07-29-09, 8:58 pm
"A drive so strong it brings about a level of determination that confuses and even concerns certain people in our lives."

this is the line that hit home the most. superb post man.

B Con
07-30-09, 9:26 am
This deserves a bump... I've been asked so many of those questions time and time again. Thanks for that HG.

Hoomgar
07-30-09, 9:42 am
I here ya brother. Every time I grab a hold of the bar some thing inside me comes alive.

"A drive so strong it brings about a level of determination that confuses and even concerns certain people in our lives."

this is the line that hit home the most. superb post man.

This deserves a bump... I've been asked so many of those questions time and time again. Thanks for that HG.

You know it fellas. In August it will be 2 years for me. I'm more determined now than I was when I started. Some of this has finally been met with a small level of acceptance but it is small. There is still a great cloud and uncertainty and confusion riding above the heads of many people in my life. They don't wish for me to fail but they ARE constantly looking for my quitting point. They are watching to see where I will finally stop. They have not caught on yet. Their inability to recognize real change when they see it is based out of their own lack of ability to make change in their own lives up to this point. Therefore, they simply cannot understand or comprehend what is happening right before their eyes.

This is a life long quest. Those of us in it all the way know this. So it will only be at the end of our run, whenever that is, that we will be able to look back over the pictures of a lifetime of progress, pointing to steps along the way up to what was the final product and then and only then, if there is still breath on our lungs will we be able to say "see, I wasn't playin".

No man has ever archived success or realized the fruit of his goals by sitting in a chair and dreaming about it. We have to take that dream and apply action to it! Every day.

Hg

RighteousDude
08-01-09, 8:28 pm

Catching up after a couple of sick days. I got asked some of these questions after a legs and puke session. Little did I know the puking was actual sickness rather than a cause of a legs workout.

Its amazing how clear life becomes when you have your head over the porcelain bowl and someones asking you "what are you trying to prove?" "To you bitch nothing, to me everything." "I've got no sympathy for you, you did it to yourself. why can't you be like everyone else, normal?" "To me, what I am doing is normal(maybe not all of the puking) and righteous. If you can't handle it, that's not my problem." She left and hasn't called.

Peace.

Fury317
08-01-09, 8:49 pm

I get this question on a daily basis. When I deadlift until my shins bleed through my pants. When I come home after squatting heavy with my shoulders and traps rubbed raw from the bar. When I beat myself up so badly I feel like Im going to vomit the rest of the day. People always ask me "Why do you do that to yourself?" Some have come to learn why, others will in the future, and some never will, but I dont care. Doesnt matter. All that matters is I got the drive, ya dig?