PDA

View Full Version : The Journey of a thousand squats

Moe Hawk
07-17-08, 12:36 am
Hey Animals, what's up. I'm new to the forums but I have been a frequent lurker. Thought I'd sign up because I thought that logging my progress would help me bust through a platuea that I think I've hit.

I used to be a recreational lifter just doing bench presses, leg presses, lunges, curls, etc for the hell of it never following any real lifting routine or diet. I used to be a really skinny as a small child (weren't we all) becuse I was always active with stuff like soccer, baseball, and just running around because I ad and still have ADHD. Then I became more sedentary at around 8 because I began playing video games and eating tons of junk food. However, I started Tae Kwon Do which taught me how to punch and all the proper footwork. I was able to do the splits. However, the dojo closed down and I became sedentary again. This gravely affected me socially in high school as I was never involved in school, never dated, never went to prom, always to self-conscious of myself to be myself and be outspoken. I still lifted in school but I mostly used machines and did small, isolation movements coupled with a poor diet. I gained muscle but I also gained a lot of fat.

During grade ten I was depressed and I stopped eating a lot. Wasn't anorexic but I was deluded into believing that by doing endless crunches and curls and simply by not eating so much I could burn away the fat around my stomach and replace it ith chiseled abs. Not so, I went from 176 of fat to a shaky 145. I then began to eat a lot more and began gaining weight. By grade 12 I was 200 but a loyt of it was fat.

Just last year, I went away to University and those feelings of anxiety and lack o self worth crept up again. I vowed I would change that and I began to work on it by changing my body through a program I purchased called Shawn Lebrun's 12 simple steps to getting huge and shredded. It was alright but the promises it made upon completion of the program were outlandish and untrue.

But it led me to search for more info on bodybuilding. I came across this site among others. The dark nature of this site blew me away and it opened my eyes to what training was all about. I then found out what I really wanted to lift for: Strength. I didn't care about aesthetics but about what I was lifting. I switched to Powerlifting and will remain with it. I may also take up Olympic Weightlifting.

I made pretty good progress and now I come here hoping to go even further. Here are some stats to show how far I've come since September 2007:

Moe Hawk
07-17-08, 12:48 am
Barbell Bench: Before- 175x4 (struggling too)
After- ??? lol but I can close-grip 225x3 and bench 105 pound dumbbells for reps.

Dips: Being able to do zero because I was too heavy to being able to dip with 70 pounds on top of my 198 pound bodyweight.

Squat: Starting out with 185x5 for my top set now 315x5 for 2 sets and 405x2 for box squats (18 inches).

Deadlift: I think I pulled 225 for reps back in December and now I pull 425.

Military press: Have done a personal best of 165x3 standing with a barbell after cleaning it from the ground to begin with. Have also done 80 pound dumbbells for reps seated.

Pullups- Personal best 11 after once struggling to do 3. Can now do them weighted for reps with a 45 pound plate strapped on me.

barbell and dumbbell row: Can do 235x5 on barbell row and I have rowed a 120 pound dumbbell with each arm. I strted out with a 55 pound dumbbell.

Incline bench- struggled with 175 back in september I have repped 225 on the incline a couple of times. Have done 85 pound dumbbells for reps could probably do 90's now.

Powerclean- This is where technique needs to get hammered down. I think I powercurl the weight up more than anything. My best powerclean is only 190 and that was back in late May I think. I may be good for a 205 clean i dont know we'll see.

Lunge- Can now lunge 2 95 pound dumbbells for a few steps.

Moe Hawk
07-17-08, 1:27 am
K. I have now given some background info on myself just to give an illustration of where I'm at. Recently I believed that I hit a plateau. My old split from last couple of months went as follows: Tuesday- chest, Thursday- back, Saturday- Legs, and Sunday- shoulders.

I worked in a factory that was pretty physical for 9 hours a day and 5 days a week so weekends were when I could rest up and focus on the important bodyparts (mostly legs) without doing the big parts (legs and back because of squats and deads) back to back due to the risk of overtraining. I've gotten a new factory job that is less physical, less hours, but it is shift work therefore it screws up my sleeping habits.

Anyways, I've begun to do Bill Starrs Madcow 5x5 where you slowly increase the weight every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with Wednesday being a light day focusing on speed. Here's the routine.

Monday: Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and weighted situps

Wednesday: Squat 5x5 (light weight as this is a dynamic day)
Incline or Military 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Weighted Pullups 5x5 (not in the program but I threw them in because I believe they are a staple in any strength program)

Friday: Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Assistance: Weighted dips 3x5
Barbell curls 3x8
Tricep extensions 3x8

Saturday is when I train the powerclean and I may do box squats and front squats that day also if it's not too much overtraining.

Anyways I had my first session today and it was a dynamic session. Basically, Wednesday's routine. It went swell considering I had been having off workouts for a while.

Squat:

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5
245x5

Easy. All below parallel and with no struggle. I wanted to throw on 275 for my last set but I had doubts about whether or not that would be considered "light" for me.

Incline Bench:
115x5
135x5
155x5
185x5 (underestimated myself here. Thought it'd be my final set, but after 155 went up so easily I decided to go straight to 185 and it was a breeze)
205x5 (Overestimated myself here as I struggled on the last 2 reps)

Deadlifts:

Never done conventional deads on a squat day. They were fine but my last 2 sets fairly drained me.

135x5
225x5
315x5
365x3
365x3

Arghh! My grip began to give out on the 3rd rep of both sets! At least I pushed it though.

Weighted Pullups:

BWx5
BWx5
BWx5
BW+25X5 (struggle)
BW+25x5 (Failed to get the last 2 reps without kicking my feet off the bench).

Weighted situps

BW+25x15 for 3 sets

By now I had to rush home to get ready for work for 3 o'clock.

Overall I give this workout an A. It went intensely and I could really feel myself pumping the weight out.

Just for more info my goals are as follows: Bench 315 for a max and then later for reps
Squat 405 for a max and eventually for reps
Deadlift 495 and eventually pull it for reps
Powerclean 225
Military 205

I also ordered Matt Furrey's Handstand Training DVD and I will begin to work on handstands and handstand pushups to further strengthen me. And for a little more info, I have been practicing Muay Thai for a month and a half at a local MMA gym

Essentially, I want to be strong. I want people to feel and sense my powerful presence and know that I am powerful. I want to be well-rounded. I want to be strong and explosive, quick and nimble. I want to be the best physical and mental specimen that God created me, and all of us for that matter, to be. And I am hoping it begins with this log and the squats and other shit that I'll be doing for months and years to come.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-17-08, 1:33 am
hey man i was alot liek you in high school... so i know the feeling

im subbed for this.. need anything let me know ok?

Littlefry
07-17-08, 1:53 am
Sick moe, ive been following stars 5x5 for about 7 weeks now and loving it I set PR's every week I have work up to 410x5 for squats. Iam subbed here for sure I'll be keeping up with your journey.

Moe Hawk
07-18-08, 9:34 pm
Heavy day for squats, bench, and row. Went pretty well as I hope to be back up to 315x5 for squats, 225x5 for bench, and 225x5 for rows. Overall a B workout.

Squats

135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
285x5

Struggled with both the last 2 sets. Wanted to throw on 295 but I rethinked it and I made a good choice.

Bench

135x5
185x5
205x5 (a lot harder than expected)
215x4 (spotter assisted on last rep)
205x5

Yeah so I screwed this up. Next time I'll go same weight for first 2 sets then 3rd set will be 195x5, then 205x5, and 210x5.

Row

135x5
155x5
165x5
185x5
205x5

Pretty solid. Tyring to keep my row weight in synch with my bench weight.

Weighted dips

BWx5
BW+25x5
BW+45

All pretty easy. I love bodyweight exercises. Matt Furrey is right; you can't call yourself truly strong if you can't even handle your own bodyweight. Dipping your bodyweight equivalent on top of your bodyweight is a greater feat of strength than benching 405, at least IMO.

Barbell curls

65x5
95x8
115x4

Ahh! It's been a long time since I've done curls lol. Overestimated my strength here.

Skullcrushers

60x6
80x8
90x6

Triceps were toast on sixth rep

Once again a decent workout, a lot of trial and error. Can't wait to get back into the swing of things.

Just a note: I'm a little disappointed in myself as I was supposed to go to muay thai at 6 this past evening since I didn't have to work and I have not gone for the past 2 weeks due to work. But I got caught up in a little personal stuff that had to be resolved. Hope I can make sundays class.

Moe Hawk
07-21-08, 6:39 pm
I just realized I messed up things on Friday. According to Starr I'm supposed to do 4x5 for squat, bench, and row and a triple for each exercise that is 2.5% higher than my top sets on Monday. Doh! Plus I'm supposed to do a set of 8 with weight equivalent to my 3rd set. Oh well mistakes happen.

This workout had me doing 5x5 for squat, bench, and row in that order followed by 2 sets of 8 for weighted hyperextensions (I did 3) and 4 sets of 8 for weighted sit-ups (decided to do hanging knee raises instead).

Squat

145x5
190x5
230x5
280x5 (not too tough at all!)
295x3 (Missed the last 2 reps but I'll try and push for 5 on Friday while going for 300x3 for a triple). All of these were at least parallel, some below.

Bench

135x5
175x5
185x5
205x5
210x5

Wanted to redo this since I screwed up Friday's bench session by going too heavy too early. Awesome so far. I used a powerlifting style- medium grip, retracted shoulder blades, and pushing out towards my feet rather than towards the rack.

Row

140x5
160x5
170x5
190x5
210x5

Clean rowing for the 4 sets, a little jerking on 5th. Body about 45 degrees from floor.

Weighted hypers

BW+25x8
BW+35x8
BW+45x8

Hanging Knee Raises

BWx8
BW+25x8
Bw+25x8
BW+35x6 (couldn't lift anymore and grip was slipping).

Solid workout. I believe I am regaining my strength on my squats, which is nice. I have no doubt that I'll be up to 315x5 in no time. Same with 225x5 for bench and rows.

T o m m Y
07-21-08, 7:07 pm
Nice Sessions Brotha!!

Keep this up!

Littlefry
07-21-08, 9:53 pm
Glad you realized you mistake and fixed it. Anyways good sessions bro, you will be putting up some solid numbers in no time consistancy is the key. Also Moehawk I answered you question in my journey, just check out my journey to see.

Moe Hawk
07-23-08, 6:30 pm
Wednesday

Squat 4x5 with the last set being the same as the 3rd set.

145x5
195x5
235x5
235x5

Easy. All way below parallel and no belt either.

Incline Bench 4x5 ramping weight to top set.

120x5
140x5
190x5 (bit difficult)
210x3 (got stuck a bit on the 1st rep, managed to push out the 2nd rep, and the spotter assisted a bit on 3rd. Felt my right pec being stretched out like it was going to tear. Will probably go back down to 205 next week or I may switch to military press).

Just a side note: Can anyone explain why my barbell flat bench is so low in perspective of my incline bench and dumbbell bench? I mean I struggle a bit with 205 on flat yet I've repped 225 on incline and have done 105 pound dumbbells on flat. I stopped doing flat bench with barbell back in november and I only did close-grip with a barbell on flat since then. However, I stopped that in May. It must be the fact that i simply did not train the exercise? Still, you'd think that I'd be doing more considering what I;m doing on incline and with dumbbells SHOULD be 80% of my flat.

Deadlifts 4x5

Once again I'm still not accustomed to doing reg deads on a squat day but it's what Starr says.

140x5
230x5
320x5
370x4 (didn't quite lock out the 4th)
370x1

I know I was supposed to do only 4 sets but I missed the 5th rep on my last set cuz when I set the weight down my grip just gave out lol. But I vowed to get that extra rep so I approached that bar after 30 seconds and easily locked it out and held it for 3 seconds. Still doesn't count as 4 sets but hey.

Weighted Pullups 4x5

BWx5
BWx5
BW+25x5
BW+30x5

I had a bit of trouble with the last rep on my 3rd set so I was worried bout the next set but I got the first 3 reps no prob. The last 2 were 3/4 reps though.

Weighted sit-ups with dumbbell on chest 3x8

45x8
50x10
60x10

Solid workout. Worked up a sweat. I went to Muay Thai last night for the 8-9 cllass and it kicked my ass lol. I already got a core workout there because we did plyometrics for 15 minutes non-stop lol.

Moe Hawk
07-25-08, 7:05 pm
Squat 4x5 along with a triple that is 2.5% heavier than Monday's top set followed by a set of 8 with weight equivalent to the 3rd set. Same goes for bench and row:

145x5
190x5
235x5
280x5
300x3
235x6 (form was severely degrading, back was caving in before hips were descending)
235x2 (just to get the last 2 reps)

The 280 felt a lot lighter and I had no trouble breaking parallel. The 300 set had me pumped yet nervous. I get too picky with numbers as I'm supposed to do a triple 2.5% higher than my top set (295) from Monday.

But as I got under that bar I said fuck it I'm doing this! The first 2 reps were tough but I knew I hit parallel. The last rep had me kind of rounding my back in and the depth waas questionable. Still, I fought it out!

Bench

135x5
175x5
185x5
205x5
215x3
185x5 (grrr! Once again had to get the last few reps in next set)
185x3

My spotter was barely touching the bar for my triple yet it still felt that he used too much assistance.

Row

140x5
160x5
170x5
190x5
215x3
170x8

All easy. Clean movements and full range of motion.

Weighted dips

BW+25x8
BW+45x7 (failed lockout on attempted 8th rep)
BW+60x6 (failed at 6th so used assistance from step to kick up)

I love dips. I think I can work my way up to dipping 2 plates in no time.

Barbell curls *yawn*

65x8
95x8
115x2

totally messed up the last set. Meh, I don't really care about curls lol

Skullcrushers

65x8
80x8
90x6

Once again triceps were fried.

I liked this workout. Even though I was only running on one meal I still was really feeling myself control the weight (on most sets, at least) rather than the other way around.

Littlefry
07-25-08, 9:21 pm
Looking good moehawk, have pateince with your flat bench. Iam in the same realm as you. My incline barbell and dumbbell press where always higher than my flat bench, but iam currently getting my flat bench up there my flat is currently at 255x5 and my incline is 260x5 so its close now. Although my incline has always been stronger I dont know why jsut and indvidual thing I guess. Anyways keep up the good work.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-25-08, 9:30 pm
lol i cant do incline for shit!! lucky bastards

Moe Hawk
07-26-08, 3:43 am
Looking good moehawk, have pateince with your flat bench. Iam in the same realm as you. My incline barbell and dumbbell press where always higher than my flat bench, but iam currently getting my flat bench up there my flat is currently at 255x5 and my incline is 260x5 so its close now. Although my incline has always been stronger I dont know why jsut and indvidual thing I guess. Anyways keep up the good work.

Well...I wish I had your flat lol.I'm not sure what your bodyweight is- if it's in your journal I'll check again- but my flat for reps is barely over my bodyweight and I weigh like 200 give or take a pound. I just wish that all that dumbbell pressing, incline pressing, close-gripping, and weighted dips would have translated into a way higher bench (like 250-275 for reps) instead of being in the low 200's still.

I guess, like I said, it's due to not actually training barbell bench lol.

Moe Hawk
07-27-08, 9:50 pm
Decided to do some Olympic lifts today since I do have interest in the sport but my main focus is still Powerlifting as I am more successful at that. I did powercleans, one-arm dumbbell snatches, and front squats. I hope this won't overtrain my C.N.S. as I have a heavy day tomorrow.

Powercleans:

135x4
165x2
185x0 (got it up, but couldn't get under the bar and catch it. Need to work on doing this)
185x0 (same scenario as last set)
165x3
155x3

I keep my clean sets low in reps cuz I believe that the clean should always be done in low reps but multiple sets.

Dumbbell snatches: New to the snatch. It's very tricky and it kinda hurts the shoulder.

20x5 per arm
25x5 per arm
30x5 per arm

Front squats: I can hit atg with these no problem, as is the way front squats should be done.

135x5
155x5
185x5
185x5

Short and sweet workout. Only bout an hour tops. Can anyone who cleans a lot of weight (like +200) give me some powerclean tips? My clean is awfully low in perspective of my deadlift, squat, and bodyweight (I'm a little under 200) and according to Rippetoe and Kilgore I am not even at an intermediate level for my weight (a 205 clean for a 198 lifter).

I'm not exactly new to cleans, been doing them on and off (used to be consistent) since February and I cleaned 165 for reps for my first time. My clean hasn't gone up that much, only 190 maybe 195 now. I think my problem is technique: I can't seem to get under the bar and catch it when I shrug it up. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning technique?

I am a powerlifter but it'd be awesome to have a monstrous clean (like 250+) along with a decent snatch (like 185 for now). How would I also properly train the clean while being on starr's program without compromising my recovery time? Like proper amount of reps and sets and how often? Thanks for any answers guys.

Moe Hawk
07-28-08, 8:34 pm
Had a bad workout. Bombed my last set of squats, and the bench portion didn't go too well. Decided to skip ab work.

Squat 5x5 with top set being friday's triple:

150x5
200x5
240x5
285x4 (grrr)
300x2

Got stuck under sticking point of 3rd rep. Before I got under I said I'm going to do as many as I can until I either get stuck or hit 5 reps.

I have 2 choices I can make. First of all, the workout I did last night may have contributed to me bombing my squats so perhaps if I want to train the clean and snatch I should do it saturday or substitute say cleans for deads on Wednesday.

Now, the 1st choice is I can go for a 305 triple on friday and try for that weight next monday. Or I can redo the 300 triple this friday and try for it again as a top set on monday.

Bench

140x5
180x5
190x5
205x5
215x5

Same spotter assisted for 2. He kept reminding me to pause on each rep so I paused on the 1st rep of my top set.

However, I think I'm jumping to high on my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th set. Might reset to 135x5, 165x5, 185x5, 205x5, and either 210x5 or 215x5 and see where that gets me.

Row

145x5
165x5
175x5
195x5
215x5

The only part of the workout that went decent. I had some aggression in me that made me rep out each rep solidly. I need to summon this aggression for squats though!

Weighted hypers

BW+25x8
BW+45x8

Decided to skip ab work. I know I should train those as intensely as everything else, which is why come Wednesday I'll be sure to give them extra punishment. I just felt like crap today though.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-28-08, 8:38 pm
nice squatting and benching.

Moe Hawk
07-28-08, 8:38 pm
One thing I forgot to mention is that I also did 3 singles with 185 on bench, practicing the pause an chest touch. My spotter kept getting on me for not touching my chest saying I need to make sure that isn't a weak point for me because I'd never have a lift passed in a meet. He recommended to do 3 sets of singles with 185. I decided to try it out and the hardest part, of course, was exploding up with it from the bottom but locking it out was a piece of cake.

T o m m Y
07-28-08, 8:51 pm
Looking Good Brotha!

Littlefry
07-29-08, 12:45 pm
Nice workout moe, dont get discouraged it takes time to develope strenght but with 5x5 you will succeed with some patience. As for touching the chest on barbell bench I would say not to allow your arms to go below a 90 degree angle, unless you are training for a powerlifting competition where the bar must* touch your chest. If your training for mass/bodybuilding the best thing to do to not allow injury is to bring your elbows to a 90 degree angle which usually equivilates to the barbell being 1-2inches from your chest. This helps the chest fibers stay enaged more throughout the whole movement, and going below 90 degrees brings your delts and triceps as secondary muscles into the exercise. In addition to all that you do not want to risk an injury.

Moe Hawk
07-30-08, 12:35 am
Nice workout moe, dont get discouraged it takes time to develope strenght but with 5x5 you will succeed with some patience. As for touching the chest on barbell bench I would say not to allow your arms to go below a 90 degree angle, unless you are training for a powerlifting competition where the bar must* touch your chest. If your training for mass/bodybuilding the best thing to do to not allow injury is to bring your elbows to a 90 degree angle which usually equivilates to the barbell being 1-2inches from your chest. This helps the chest fibers stay enaged more throughout the whole movement, and going below 90 degrees brings your delts and triceps as secondary muscles into the exercise. In addition to all that you do not want to risk an injury.

nice squatting and benching.

Looking Good Brotha!

Thanks guys. Littlefry, thanks for the advice. I'm not actually training for a Powerlifting competition but I do Powerlift. I suppose I should only touch my chest if I'm testing my one rep max instead of all of my reps, say from my top set. I usually bring it down about an inch- possibly two- from my chest on all of my sets anyways.

SQUAT or DIE!
07-30-08, 12:38 am
i vote you touch your chest, dont bounce it off your chest though...

Littlefry
07-30-08, 5:33 pm
Sounds good moe, its just my opinion and training style. Like SQUAT said though if you do touch you chest do not bounce it off.

Moe Hawk
07-30-08, 8:08 pm
Decided to switch things around for my pressing movements. I did Standing Military Presses instead of Incline. Man, my shoulders haven't gotten directly hit in awhile. Therefore they are not as strong as once before.

Squat 4x5

150x5
200x5
240x5
240x5

Military Press (Cleaning the bar from the ground)

115x5
135x5
145x5 (used a bit of leg drive for lst 2 reps
155x4 (couldn't lock out 5th. Used leg drive at bottom but not much. Still mostly my shoulders as they were screaming on each rep lol).

Deadlift- Whooped ass on these! I hope I'll be up to an all-time best of 405x5 soon!

145x5
235x5
325x5
375x5

Just a little note: There was some ramping for the last reps for the 375 set. Not sure what Starr would say about that. I think ramping is illegal in competition so I'd have to make sure not to ramp on my one-rep max test.

Weighted Pullups-

BWx5
BWx5
BW+30x5
BW+35x4

Hanging Knee Raises-

BWX8
BW+35x8
BW+35x8
BWx8 (Just for fun)

I also busted out a quick set of 7 of Military Pull-ups. Dead after those.

Pretty good workout. I hope to consistently have these especially come Friday.

Littlefry
07-31-08, 12:02 am
nice workout moe, although I suggest picking either military's or incline bench and stick with it throughout the program since essentially 2.5% is supposed to be added to the lift every week. Therefore if you feel your delts could use the work then do military's, and if you feel your chest could use some work do inlcine press, its really up to you.

Moe Hawk
08-01-08, 7:52 pm
Squat 4x5 with triple of Monday's top set followed by a set of 8 with the 3rd set.

150x5
200x5
240x5
285x5
300x3
240x8

Okay, as you all can see I decided to redo my 300 triple set instead of going up by 2.5%. I'm going to redo the 300 set on monday too.

Bench

140x5
180x5
190x5
205x5
220x3
190x8 (sweet!)

Bench session was awesome. I nicked my chest on all of the reps for the 220 set. I also just pumped out the 190x8 after that.

Row (This was harder than normal, however, riding the high of my successful bench session I still fought it out).

145x5
165x5
175x5
195x5
220x3
175x8

Weighted Dips (Love these!)

BW+25x8 ezay
BW+45x7
BW+70x5

Almost failed lockout at 5th rep. God it felt good to have a 45 and a 25 hanging down there. Can't wait for 2 45's!

Barbell curls

70x8
90x8
100x6 (biceps toast)

skullcrushers

70x8
90x8
90x8

I was truly feeling the burn!

Awesome session. Too bad my squats still feel like they're going nowhere. Hope this changes soon! If I can't hit 300x5 for Monday's top set I'm going to reset to 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5, and 285 for a triple on friday and see if that helps me. Trial and eror, trial and error!

Littlefry
08-01-08, 7:57 pm
Looking good moehawk! Perharps you squat is a bit behind becuase mabey you started it off to high for a top set of 5 reps, I find that is where most poeple have a problem with this program at the beginning. You should start about 10% less then your 5 rep max to start then work up to your true 5 rep max in 4 weeks, if you do that math that means 2.5+2.5+2.5+2.5=10% so roughly 4 weeks.

Moe Hawk
08-05-08, 1:56 am
Monday 5x5 workout

Squat 5x5

155x5
205x5
245x5
290x5
300x5

I did this all at home as I forgot that all of the gyms close early since it's a holiday. I have all of the stuff I need at home even though I don't like training at home. These squats went well. The last rep on the final set had me grunting that weight up as I struggled to stand back up with the weight. I'm glad that I got all sets. I can now go for a 305 triple on Friday.

Bench 5x5

145x5
185x5
195x5
210x5
220x2 grr messed this up!

I messed up my last set because I banged the bar against my cage since I was too far back thus throwing me off balance. I then barely got the second rep. Also, I was using a really thick Olympic barbell, a lot thicker than the ones at the gym so it put a lot of strain on my wrists. I think it was a squat bar and they may possibly weigh 50-60 pounds not sure though I still count it as 45 just to be sure.

Note: I will still go for 225x3 for my triple on friday since I am positive I can hit it and since I could of gotten the 220x5 had I not had the misfortune of hitting the rack.

Row 5x5

150x5
170x5
180x5
200x5
225x4

Decided to go for 225 since I was too lazy to change all of the weights around on my last set and I just decided for the hell of it to try 225. My grip was toast on the 4th rep so I couldn't even hang on to the bar on the 5th. If my bar wasn't so thick I could have probably gotten the 225 for easier and cleaner reps.

Hanging Knee raises

BWx8
BW+25x8
BW+35x8

Skipped the hyperextensions since I had no station to perform them on.

Littlefry
08-05-08, 6:08 pm
Monday 5x5 workout

Squat 5x5

155x5
205x5
245x5
290x5
300x5

I did this all at home as I forgot that all of the gyms close early since it's a holiday. I have all of the stuff I need at home even though I don't like training at home. These squats went well. The last rep on the final set had me grunting that weight up as I struggled to stand back up with the weight. I'm glad that I got all sets. I can now go for a 305 triple on Friday.

Bench 5x5

145x5
185x5
195x5
210x5
220x2 grr messed this up!

I messed up my last set because I banged the bar against my cage since I was too far back thus throwing me off balance. I then barely got the second rep. Also, I was using a really thick Olympic barbell, a lot thicker than the ones at the gym so it put a lot of strain on my wrists. I think it was a squat bar and they may possibly weigh 50-60 pounds not sure though I still count it as 45 just to be sure.

Note: I will still go for 225x3 for my triple on friday since I am positive I can hit it and since I could of gotten the 220x5 had I not had the misfortune of hitting the rack.

Row 5x5

150x5
170x5
180x5
200x5
225x4

Decided to go for 225 since I was too lazy to change all of the weights around on my last set and I just decided for the hell of it to try 225. My grip was toast on the 4th rep so I couldn't even hang on to the bar on the 5th. If my bar wasn't so thick I could have probably gotten the 225 for easier and cleaner reps.

Hanging Knee raises

BWx8
BW+25x8
BW+35x8

Skipped the hyperextensions since I had no station to perform them on.

Nice workout Moe. Great numbers for squat and row 300x5 for squat, and 225x4 for row. Ive messed up like that on bench to hitting the rack a little, so dont worry about it everyone makes mistakes now and then. Also give you bench time like I stated before bench was always a week point for me, but know that I have put hard work and pateince into my bench work it has payed off.

Moe Hawk
08-06-08, 10:16 pm
Wednesday workout

Squat 4x5

155x5
205x5
245x5
245x5

All as deep as I could go

Just a note\; Read something on T-nation that spoke about the third world squat which is people from third world countries sitting down in the squat position because they don't have chairs and how we are too immobile to do a full squat. So, it recommended to .sit in a full squat position everyday for a minute.

Military press

120x5
140x5
150x5
160x4

Daeadlift

150x5
240x5
330x5
380x4

weighted pullups

dropped down in weight to work my way up back again so I cxan do full clean reps with minimal swinging

BWx5
BWx5
BW+15x5
BW+25x5

Weighted sit-ups w dumbbell

BW+40x8
BW+55x8
BW+55x8

Littlefry
08-06-08, 11:53 pm
Nice workout moe! Those wieghted pull-up are awsome, it a great exercise to bring in some lat width.

shizz702
08-07-08, 12:09 am
Nice work you are putting in here bro! Are you doing a 5x5? If so which version are you doing? Looks like a very well rounded routine you are doing here and you seem to be making excellent gains! Good job bro, I'll be checking in here from time to time. Btw interesting about people in third world countries sitting in a full squat and recommending us to do the same everday for minute like that.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-07-08, 12:44 am
some great squats and pulls today....

Moe Hawk
08-07-08, 3:25 am
Nice workout moe! Those wieghted pull-up are awsome, it a great exercise to bring in some lat width.

Oh yeah, weighted pullups are awesome. I've read about the many benefits of the pull-up and I can't wait until I start to chin with some serious weight. I also can't wait to start working on handstands to strengthen both my core and shoulders.

Nice work you are putting in here bro! Are you doing a 5x5? If so which version are you doing? Looks like a very well rounded routine you are doing here and you seem to be making excellent gains! Good job bro, I'll be checking in here from time to time. Btw interesting about people in third world countries sitting in a full squat and recommending us to do the same everday for minute like that.

Thanks. I'm doing Bill Starr's Madcow 5x5. It's where you do small incremental gains every week. For instance monday is squat, bench, and row 5x5, Wednesday is a repeat of the 1st 3 sets with the 3rd set being repeated for a 4th set. This is only done with the squat though. You do 4x5 with either incline or military followed by deadlifts.
Friday is back to squat, bench, and row with weight equal to monday's first 4 sets followed by a triple (1x3) with a weight that is 2.5% heavier than monay's top set (e.g. monday's top set being 300x5 therefore friday's triple is 305x3). The following monday you are supposed to increase the weight by 2.5% for the 4 sets while doing friday's triple for a set of 5. You keep doing this until you plateau again and must reset in weight.

There are also assistance lifts you perform in 3 sets of 8 consisting of core work (sit-ups, hyperextensions, glute ham raises etc), and lifts that'll help with benching (dips) and pulling (pull-ups). I actually threw in pullups myself since I believe they are a must for substantial strength gains.

The third world squat program is a necessity for me since I am hugely unflexible with the full squat position and have trouble breaking parallel without my back rounding in. I believe a minute a day of sitting in this position may cure that and thus allow for a greater range of motion while preventing a possible injury.

some great squats and pulls today....

Thanks squat. I was a little worried when I went for the 380 set because as I went to begin my first rep my left hand just couldn't keep a good grip on the bar. I thought that it couldn't be that much harder than the 375 set the previous week. I then grabbed a paper towel and wrapped it around the bar as tight as I could with my hand and repped it out for a nice 4 reps. I can't wait till I hit 405x5 on deads. Course I also can't wait till I hit a 495 pound deadlift!

Moe Hawk
08-09-08, 1:44 am
Squat 4x5 with triple

155x5
205x5
245x5
290x5
305x3 (yes!)
245x8

bench

145x5
185x5
195x5
210x5
225x3
195x7

Sweet. I knew that I'd get 225 for a triple despite missing 220x5 on monday.

Row

150x5
170x5
180x5
200x5
225x3
180x8

Weighted Dips

BW+25x8
BW+50x8
BW+75x4 (couldn't lock out 5th and was done after that).

Barbell curls

70x8
90x8
100x6

Skullcrushers

70x8
90x8
100x6

Pretty good workout. Went to shoot pool after that playing 8-ball, 9-ball, and cutthroat. I kicked ass winning most of the games. Pretty fun night!

shizz702
08-09-08, 7:43 pm
Damn good job bro!

Yea I'm familiar with the program you are doing. It's a variation of Bill Starr's classic 5x5 by madcow. The main difference between the two is the classic version had power cleans instead of the rows. Overall the 5x5 is an excellent program and has stood the test of time as one of the best strength programs out there. Almost all modern strength programs (Rippetoe's for example) were inspired by it.

You're getting strong with it I see, look foward to seeing you get even stronger!

What's your goals for this cycle on the squat, bench, and row?

Littlefry
08-09-08, 11:55 pm
Nice workout moe, keep setting those PR's

Moe Hawk
08-10-08, 6:49 pm
The title says it all: I merely started doing this workout for shits and giggles because I was already at the gym practicing my jump rope skills when I finished and was bored and decided to just wander around looking for anything that fancied my interest.

First off, I initially went to the gym to practice jump rope. I practiced footwork, speed, and criss-crosses. I get winded so easily that I lose rhythm and catch my self with the rope especially when I'm doing criss crosses while running in place. I do have insane speed though. I got a little frustrated and decided to do something different.

one-arm dumbbell snatches:

I really like these and I feel that I can easily get a lot of momentum from my hips on the thrust as opposed to the powerclean.

30x5 each arm
40x5 each arm
50x5 each arm
60x3 each arm
65x1 both arms
65x1 right arm. Form had severely degraded with left.

Decline bench:

Never done any type of decline pressing before so finally decided to try it out. I heard that it is a lot easier than the flat bench.

135x10
185x12

Yeah nothing too difficult. The 185 was an easy set and I could have possibly gotten 15-20 but I idn't want to completely burn myself out.

Lat Pulldown

Was never good with these. I find pull-ups easier which is odd because they're usually harder for most people. Perhaps I'm an exception as I struggle to pulldown 150.

Leg extension (lol)

Haven't used these in a while but just wanted to make sure I could still max out and sure enough I was easily using the whole stack (220). Too bad they are useless for real, functional leg strength not to mention, they wear down the knees.

If anyone wants to comment feel free but this was no serious workout. I'm only posting this because of the snatches as I'm actually going to train those seriously. Basically a workout for the hell of it lol.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-10-08, 6:52 pm
with the lat pulldowns, have you experimented with grip width or even rev grip- really seems to hit the bis well.....

shizz702
08-10-08, 6:53 pm
Haha just messing around eh?

Those one arm db snatches are great bro! I love them! I do them on my explosive training day after front squats and power cleans. I too really feel the hip extension a lot more on them than with the cleans.

Moe Hawk
08-10-08, 7:31 pm
with the lat pulldowns, have you experimented with grip width or even rev grip- really seems to hit the bis well.....

I actually do that for pullups where I'll use a supinated grip or a pronated grip. I just use a medium pronated (overhand) grip for my pulldowns, or, I should say, I used to because I don't do them anymore. I see no need to do them unless I'm mistaken.

Haha just messing around eh?

Those one arm db snatches are great bro! I love them! I do them on my explosive training day after front squats and power cleans. I too really feel the hip extension a lot more on them than with the cleans.

They rock! I can't wait to work my way up to snatching a 100 pound dumbbell. Will they help with the military press?

SQUAT or DIE!
08-10-08, 7:32 pm
rowing and Tbars are always a good sub...

shizz702
08-10-08, 7:37 pm
They rock! I can't wait to work my way up to snatching a 100 pound dumbbell. Will they help with the military press?

I don't know if they'd help with the milirary press but they sure wouldn't hurt it.

Have you ever tried push jerks? If not give them a try they will certainly help with your military press.

A few tips on the milirary press:

squeeze your glutes, that will prevent hyperextending of the back.

shift your torso under the bar, the idea is the get your body under it.

don't use any leg drive unless you intend on doing push presses or push jerks.

Moe Hawk
08-10-08, 7:38 pm
Yeah I agree. I do both rows and pull-ups extensively in madcow. Do you think there is any real use for the pulldown if you're on a powerlifting program? Or are pullups and rows always good enough?

SQUAT or DIE!
08-10-08, 7:40 pm
Yeah I agree. I do both rows and pull-ups extensively in madcow. Do you think there is any real use for the pulldown if you're on a powerlifting program? Or are pullups and rows always good enough?

man i only hit up upper back cause i want some massive lats.... BUT if you do reverse grip bench i believe pulldowns and rows help with that...

Moe Hawk
08-11-08, 10:55 pm
This program really is making me stronger. It's also evidently a good cardiovascular workout since you do so many squats and other compound movements for the whole body over the week.

Squat 5x5

160x5
210x5
250x5
295x5
305x4
305x1

I missed the last rep for the 305 set because the weight came off of my heels and onto my toes in the bottom position and through me into a goodmorning position of which I was unable to come up. Therefore, I had to dump the weight. I wasn't mad though because honestly that set didn't feel really heavy probably because my body is finally adapting to all of the squatting I've been doing and I had a little more aggression than usual. I decided to rerack the weight and do the last rep and I had no problem whatsoever.

Bench 5x5

150x5
190x5
200x5
215x5
225x5

I can't believe how light all of the sets up until the 215 set felt. I once remember how I used to weigh more back in December and struggled to rep 195. Now 200 feels so light.

This bench session began to feel heavy by the 215 set but I still had minimal difficulty with the lockouts. The first 3 reps for the 225 set weren't so difficult, and I struggled with the 4th rep but I really pushed for the 5th rep. The spotter put his hands on the bar a few times but it was pretty much all me.

Row 5x5

155x5
175x5
185x5
205x5
225x5

The last set was fairly difficult and I pretty much jerked the weight up on the last rep of the last set.

Weighted Hypers 2x8

BW+25x8
BW+55x8

Hanging Knee Raises

BWx8
BW+35x8
BW+45x8
BWx8

SQUAT or DIE!
08-11-08, 11:01 pm
good wo moe.. keep on knockin it out

Moe Hawk
08-13-08, 5:52 pm
This workout was bleh! I wasn't feeling it today though I forced myself to pump out some reps. Basically the beginning of the workout was complete shit but when I hit deadlifts I was feeling and performing better.

Squat 4x5

160x5
210x5
250x5
250x5

The last 2 sets with 250 felt so heavy for some reason. Like I said I just wasn't feeling it.

Military Press 4x5

125x5
145x5
155x5
165x1
160x3

Yeah, I messed up here. 165 was way too heavy. I tried for another rep but couldn't lock it out. The 160 set was pretty tough too. I almost fell backwards trying to lock the weight out. Not to mention, my so-called military presses are slowly becoming push presses simply because I can't drive the weight up with my shoulders in the initial position.

Deadlift

Here is where I started to perform better.

155x5
245x5
335x5
385x3
385x2

Couldn't finish the last set because grip gave out so I decided to hit the last 2 reps in an extra set.

Weighted Pull-ups

BWx5
BW+10x5
BW+15x5
BW+25x4 (grr hit failure)

I then decided to bust out a few sets of military pullups just for the hell of it because I was feeling like shit again.

Weighted sit-ups

BW+50x8
BW+50x6

Here I just decided to wrap it up since I had to cut and trim the grass before we went out to eat for my mom's birthday. Honestly, I was feeling lik shit at the end and wondering why I'm missing so much from my life and why, no matter how hard I fucking try I can't seem to get to where and what I want to achieve in life. Sorry for the minor letdown but, hey, it happens.

shizz702
08-13-08, 6:56 pm
Even though things didn't seem to go as planned bro you still got a good workout in. With the military press I wouldn't recommend using leg drive unless you intend on doing push presses, when doing military's you want to lock your legs and isolate the upper body. With the deadlifts are you using a mixed grip? If not that will help a lot. Also get some chalk if you don't have some already.

Regardless though bro still looking good in here and keep it up. Even though it didn't go as good as you would've liked it to you can use that as fuel to kill it next time!

Moe Hawk
08-16-08, 2:27 am
This whole week I've been feeling a bit off since I'v been going to bed really late and sleeping in till 2 and 3 in the afternoon. Not to mention, my diet hasn't been so solid. With the exception of Monday's workout the rest of the week has been bleh. I'm hoping to kickstart a new found vigor next week! Regardless here's the workout as follows

Squat:

160x5
210x5
250x5
295x5
310x3
250x7 (form had severely degraded after 7th rep).

Not bad. Yeah, I had doubts for the 310 set but I didn't care as I got under the bar. I had to do it. The 3rd rep was really deep and I struggled to get it up.

Bench

Okay, here's where I finally had a bad bench session. First time in awhile so all it means is that I need to redo the week.

150x5
190x5
200x5
215x5
230x2 (Spotter appeared to have assisted on the reps but he told me he really didn't. So, I was under the impression that he was helping me too much so I racked it.
200x4 (Just didn't have it in me)

This bench session didn't go too well. Therefore. I'm repeating the whole sets gain next week.

Row

155x5
175x5
185x5
205x5
230x3
185x8

The last set was really hard lol.

Weighted Dips

BW+25x8
BW+45x7
BW+55x5

Holy cow! Don't know why my dips dropped so low. Maybe I was already exhausted from a less than good bench session and just had nothing left in the tank.

I decided to skip the curls and extensions since I was running late and I saw no need to do them since my workout was kind of dry.

I was also training at my other gym too and it's atmosphere doesn't appeal to the hardcore. So, next week when I'm back in my old gym I'll make sure to hit it hard and hit it heavy!

shizz702
08-16-08, 6:09 pm
Hey moe you still put some good work in!

Just get your diet and rest together and you'll be right back on track. Those are two key components to this game and if you don't have them dialed in your training will reflect it. I still think you did good but I know how you feel bro. When things don't go as planned or as we'd like em to it brings you down a bit.

Just use this workout as fuel to motivate yourself to kill it next week!

Moe Hawk
08-18-08, 10:25 pm
I enjoyed this workout much better even though the bench session was bleh!

Squat 5x5 with last set being friday's triple

165x5
215x5
255x5
300x5
310x4

On the 4th rep of the 310 set I broke past parallel and as I was coming up I almost got stuck halfway. But I pushed and grunted it out. Missed the 5th rep again but I'm confident that I'll easily nail the 315 triple this Friday.

Bench

150x5
190x5
200x5
215x5 (This is where my bench session began to go to hell. I had a spotter this time and I asked for a lift off. He would lift it off too much to the right side of the rack, practically throwing me off balance and position! i jus barely got the 5th rep because I had to reposition myself while benching in this set.

225x4 Same thing happened here. Spotter literally moved the bar over to the right side once again fucking my position up. He also assisted way too much on the last 2 reps.

I'm going to repeat last friday's bench session with this Friday's.

Row

These went swell. I had pretty much clean movements with absolutely no jerking up until the 230 set, which I successfully completed.

155x5
175x5
185x5
205x5
230x5

Weighted Hypers

BW+45x8
BW+55x8

Decided to skip ab work since I had to get going.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that yesterday, Sunday, I did some dumbbell snatches and snatched a 70 pound dumbbell twice with both arms. My short-term goal is to snatch an 80 pound dumbbell for reps with both arms.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-18-08, 10:26 pm
looks like you had some good wos this weekend

Moe Hawk
08-20-08, 8:44 pm
Squat 4x5

165x5
215x5
255x5
255x5

Military Press

125x5
145x5
155x5
165x5 (PR!)

Deadlift

160x5
250x5
340x5
390x3
390x2

Weighted Pull-ups

BWx5
BW+15x5
BW+25x5
BW+25x3

Damn, I really wish my pull-up strength was in correlation to my dips. Not cause it is supposed to be but I wish that I could chin with weight almost as much as I can dip with weight.

Overall a solid workout. Can't wait to try for a 315 triple on friday for squats. Loved the pressing, almost pressing in the 170's. According to Rippetoe and Kilgore, a 173 press is an advanced level of strength for a 198 lifter. Is this true? I always thought that my presses were lagging behind my other pushing movements and thtt shoulders were my weak point.

I'm also closing in on a 405x5 deadlift. We'll what the future entails even though I have decided that I'm going to reach those goals regardless.

BTW, I'm back on the pak now. Maybe that helped a bit with the success of this workout.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-20-08, 8:52 pm
good wo man

shizz702
08-20-08, 8:55 pm
damn good workout bro!

And yea Rippetoe and Kilgore are authorities on the subject and that reference is definitely a good indication of your level of strength. I'm in the intermediate state on all my lifts according to them.

Again, good job bro!

Moe Hawk
08-21-08, 5:12 am
good wo man

Thanks Squat!

damn good workout bro!

And yea Rippetoe and Kilgore are authorities on the subject and that reference is definitely a good indication of your level of strength. I'm in the intermediate state on all my lifts according to them.

Again, good job bro!

Thanks Shizz! I know that Rippetoe and Kilgore are big names in the weightlifting games so whatever they have to say about strength standards rings truth. I'm at an intermediate level strength on all of my lifts too. However, I'm closing in on an advanced level of strength for the deadlift and the press. Bench and squat are above the minimum weight for intermediate standard. My clean is crap though, it's not even at 205. I need to start perfecting my form and training it more consistently.

Moe Hawk
08-22-08, 10:47 pm
Squat 4x5 1x3 1x8

165x5
215x5
255x5
300x5
315x3
255x8

Bench

150x5
190x5
200x5
215x4
230x3
200x8

Row

155x5
175x5
185x5
205x5
235x3
185x8

Weighted Dips

BW+25x8
BW+45x8
BW+70x5

Okay, basically this was a swell workout with the exception of one thing: The squats went swell but I need to make sure I'm going a bit past parallel on my last sets. That was not the issue tonight. I was training at a time when the gym was practically empty. Therefore, when it came around to the bench session I could not find a spotter and it took me almost 20 minutes to find one. That kinda killed the intensity. The bench session went well. I JUST nailed 230x3 and I was really pumping the 200x8 set but I still think my bench needs more work.

I skipped curls and extensions again because, like I said, finding a spotter really prolonged the workout. I will do them tomorrow when I do cleans and snatches.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-22-08, 10:51 pm
good wo moe..

Moe Hawk
08-25-08, 10:28 pm
I woke up at 4:30 p.m. today so I need to start getting up way earlier than that! Still this workout was pretty good but it seems like my bench and row have plateaued a little.

Squat 5x5

170x5
220x5
260x5
305x5
315x4 (shoot! Missed the last rep)
Psyched myself up and convinced myself that I'd get it and got back under
315x2 (Just to make sure I'd get stronger).

Bench 5x5

155x5
195x5
205x5
220x5 (Just got the last rep)
230x3 (spotter helped a bit on the last rep)

I need opinions. Judging by what I'm capable of doing on my top sets for bench, does anyone think I'm pyramiding up in weight too quickly and heavily on my 2nd and 3rd set? Should I reset the weight I'm doing on those sets so I can nail all of the reps for the current weight (220 and 230) on the 4th and 5th set? Or would it be better to keep the 1st 3 sets the same come Monday and lower the weight on the last 2 by maybe like 5 pounds?

Row 5x5

160x5
180x5
190x5
210x5
235x3 (Damn...This set was really tough. Going to repeat it on friday and monday).

Weighted Hypers 2x8

BW+55x8
BW+55x8

Hanging Knee/leg Raises

All 4 sets were BWx8 alternating from knees up to legs out. I also held some reps for a few seconds and squeezed my abs to get a good contraction.

Not a bad workout I just gotta get past the 230 plateau on bench and redo my row sets.

This is my last week before I head back to University. They have all I need there plus an Olympic platform with bumper plates. I want to talk to some of either the football players or coaches and see if they can teach me how to properly clean and snatch.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 10:36 pm
i say lower it 5lbs just to see... ya gotta experiment and see what works for you man..
i think the your 5th set should be a REAL struggle to hit the lat rep or maybe 2... but thats me..

or eat more.......

norrim1
08-25-08, 10:53 pm
I woke up at 4:30 p.m. today so I need to start getting up way earlier than that! Still this workout was pretty good but it seems like my bench and row have plateaued a little.

Squat 5x5

170x5
220x5
260x5
305x5
315x4 (shoot! Missed the last rep)
Psyched myself up and convinced myself that I'd get it and got back under
315x2 (Just to make sure I'd get stronger).

Bench 5x5

155x5
195x5
205x5
220x5 (Just got the last rep)
230x3 (spotter helped a bit on the last rep)

I need opinions. Judging by what I'm capable of doing on my top sets for bench, does anyone think I'm pyramiding up in weight too quickly and heavily on my 2nd and 3rd set? Should I reset the weight I'm doing on those sets so I can nail all of the reps for the current weight (220 and 230) on the 4th and 5th set? Or would it be better to keep the 1st 3 sets the same come Monday and lower the weight on the last 2 by maybe like 5 pounds?

Row 5x5

160x5
180x5
190x5
210x5
235x3 (Damn...This set was really tough. Going to repeat it on friday and monday).

Weighted Hypers 2x8

BW+55x8
BW+55x8

Hanging Knee/leg Raises

All 4 sets were BWx8 alternating from knees up to legs out. I also held some reps for a few seconds and squeezed my abs to get a good contraction.

Not a bad workout I just gotta get past the 230 plateau on bench and redo my row sets.

This is my last week before I head back to University. They have all I need there plus an Olympic platform with bumper plates. I want to talk to some of either the football players or coaches and see if they can teach me how to properly clean and snatch.

There's a lot of different things that you could do to get yourself out of that sticking point. The biggest thing would be to make sure that your recovering properly. Make sure that you get plenty of sleep and are taking in enough food. Try hitting the bench from different angles. Do some sessions with the Incline Bench. Another thing that could give you a big boost is to train your triceps harder. You and I are different, but I think close grip presses and nosebreakers will help tremendously. So many muscles are involved with the bench. I read in an earlier post of yours that your having trouble doing singles and getting the weight off your chest after a pause. Keep training your lats heavy bro. Squeeze them tight at the bottom portion of the bench press and explode up. You'll get used to it. Before you know it, you'll bang out 230x5 and have your sights on 245 and beyond. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Moe Hawk
08-25-08, 11:52 pm
There's a lot of different things that you could do to get yourself out of that sticking point. The biggest thing would be to make sure that your recovering properly. Make sure that you get plenty of sleep and are taking in enough food. Try hitting the bench from different angles. Do some sessions with the Incline Bench. Another thing that could give you a big boost is to train your triceps harder. You and I are different, but I think close grip presses and nosebreakers will help tremendously. So many muscles are involved with the bench. I read in an earlier post of yours that your having trouble doing singles and getting the weight off your chest after a pause. Keep training your lats heavy bro. Squeeze them tight at the bottom portion of the bench press and explode up. You'll get used to it. Before you know it, you'll bang out 230x5 and have your sights on 245 and beyond. Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for th advice but I've found that incline doesn't really help with the flat bench. Close-grip presses, I used to do them all of the time but haven't done them in awhile. On friday's I do tricep extensions for 3x8 as assistance work for my bench. One thing though that I forgot to mention is how I place my legs. I push them back so that my legs appear to be curved and the balls of my feet are only on the ground with heels up in air. However, I find that this kinda throws me off balance, yet I've seen powerlifters position legs this way. This also allows me to arch my back this way. I just think that I'm not getting the proper leg drive. Do you know the best way to position your legs? I'll have to remember to squeeze my lats at the bottom portion.

i say lower it 5lbs just to see... ya gotta experiment and see what works for you man..
i think the your 5th set should be a REAL struggle to hit the lat rep or maybe 2... but thats me..

or eat more.......

My diet is fine. I usually don't gain weight but I'll lose some weight but it is all fat and water. I agree with the 5th set being a struggle especially on the last rep or 2 but I keep hitting failure on the 3rd, for bench anyway. Maybe it's a mental block. I'm going to repeat the set on monday and do 230x3. I'll see if it feels any easier.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 11:53 pm
do what ya gotta do to make it...

norrim1
08-26-08, 12:24 am
Experiment a little with your foot placement and see what works best for you. Jeremy Hoornstra (J-ROCK on the Forvm) is one of the best raw benchers in the world. Here's a link to his website. Check out the benching videos he has. Everyone is different, but watch the way he places himself on the bench and where he places his feet. Also notice the jerk and squeeze in his lats. Watch his entire body as he produces a mind boggling amount of torque.

http://jeremybench.piczo.com/?g=30705909&vsrc=search_yahoo&cr=6

Littlefry
08-26-08, 2:13 pm

Solid advice right there. Proper form on bench is a key aspect to increase the poundage used, as well as bring up the seconday muscles in the lift. You might also want to reset 4 weeks back in your 5x5 bench and work back up to your current 5RM. Usually when you reset not only do you reach your 5RM but suprass it.

Moe Hawk
08-27-08, 10:13 pm
Onmonday night I literally got zero hours of sleep and was up all of tuesday. I went to bed at midnight and slept till 1 in the afternoon. So, being well rested lol I was feeling it this workout which is a bit surprising given the lack of sleep on tuesday. Still, I think I have finally plateaued on the deadlift and need to reset the weight.

Squat 4x5

175x5
220x5
260x5
260x5

Military Press

130x5
150x5
160x5
170x5 Just missed the lockout on the last 2 reps by a few inches. Di use a bit of leg though.

Deadlift

170x5
260x5
350x4
395x2

Yeah, I need to reset the weight. But to what though? Perhaps between 375-385 for my top set. I wish Starr would give the deadlift more explanation.

Weighted Pull-ups

On my last 2 sets I decided to switch to a military style grip, with palms facing inwards.

BWx5
BW+15x5
BW+25x5
BW+35x5

Weighted sit-ups 3x8

BW+60x8
BW+60x8
BW+60x8

Decent workout. I'm more focused on friday's squat and bench session though. I should also mention: I've been training thoroughly for the last 8 weeks, or 2 months or so. When I move back to University next week I'll train that week. The following week, however, I will rest in order to recover my joints and c.n.s. This will definitely help me make gains.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-27-08, 10:45 pm
good wo moe

shizz702
08-27-08, 10:58 pm
Good work moe.

What I recommend when resetting, is to try for the same weight/reps the next workout. If you miss it again then go for the reset.

On your deadlift, I'd say drop the weight 20% or so.

When you start getting close to a plateau you can also go for a few extra reps each workout, or you can even get some fractional plates and go for 1-2 lb jumps instead of 5. Those are some things to think about as well.

All in all though bro good work, cause you are starting to put up some serious weight!

Littlefry
08-29-08, 12:29 am
Solid deadlifts there moe, listen to exactly what shizz said that pretty much when you know you shoudl reset, but if you do an improper reset it will set you back weeks in training. When a proper reset is done you usually suprass you old 5RM with ease.

Moe Hawk
08-30-08, 12:50 am
Today is my last day that I will be training in Park Fitness. Come Sunday, I will move back to University of Windsor to resume my studies. As stated, I wanna take up Olympic Weightlifting along with Powerlifting. Does anyone on here train in Windsor Ontario?

This workout felt like bleh initially but it changed tides as it progressed. What I originally thought was going to be a dull workout turned out much better than I expected.

Squat 4x5 1x3 1x8

170x5
220x5
260x5
305x5
320x2 (Walked it out the wrong way and threw me into a kind of awkward position. I will still try to nail 320x5 come Monday though).
260x8 (Really shot after these).

Bench

155x5
185x5
205x5
220x5
230x3
205x8

My spotter really pushed me on the last 3 sets which I liked. I wish every spotter could do that.

Row

160x5
180x5
190x5
210x5
235x3

Repeating last week's rowing set, I successfully completed this rowing session. But fuck, I just realized now as I'm typing that I forgot to do the 190x8 set!

Weighted Dips 3x5-8

BW+25x8
BW+45x8
BW+80x5

Barbell curls 3x8

70x8
90x8
100x5

Skullcrushers 3x8

70x8
90x8
Gym was closing so I had to skip the last set. But man were my arms ever fried!

SQUAT or DIE!
08-30-08, 1:06 am
looks good

Moe Hawk
09-02-08, 12:20 pm
Just letting everyone know that I am taking the rest of the week off from lifting to recuperate. I'll be back next week. Peace.

Moe Hawk
09-02-08, 4:28 pm
Just letting everyone know that I am taking the rest of the week off from lifting to recuperate. I'll be back next week. Peace.

Actually, I decided to go down to the gym today to ask about learning Olympic Weightlifting. I was talking to a shotputter and he has competed in the sport of Weightlifting. He said he has set records. I'll be training with him tomorrow and he'll show me how to properly clean an snatch. Just a note: I literally got zero hours of sleep last night yet I still managed to clean and jerk 175 pounds for reps. I can't wait to get serious with this stuff!

i will still follow Starr's routine it's just that I gotta figure out a way to balance both Power and Weightlifting.

T o m m Y
09-02-08, 4:31 pm
Today is my last day that I will be training in Park Fitness. Come Sunday, I will move back to University of Windsor to resume my studies. As stated, I wanna take up Olympic Weightlifting along with Powerlifting. Does anyone on here train in Windsor Ontario?

This workout felt like bleh initially but it changed tides as it progressed. What I originally thought was going to be a dull workout turned out much better than I expected.

Squat 4x5 1x3 1x8

170x5
220x5
260x5
305x5
320x2 (Walked it out the wrong way and threw me into a kind of awkward position. I will still try to nail 320x5 come Monday though).
260x8 (Really shot after these).

Bench

155x5
185x5
205x5
220x5
230x3
205x8

My spotter really pushed me on the last 3 sets which I liked. I wish every spotter could do that.

Row

160x5
180x5
190x5
210x5
235x3

Repeating last week's rowing set, I successfully completed this rowing session. But fuck, I just realized now as I'm typing that I forgot to do the 190x8 set!

Weighted Dips 3x5-8

BW+25x8
BW+45x8
BW+80x5

Barbell curls 3x8

70x8
90x8
100x5

Skullcrushers 3x8

70x8
90x8
Gym was closing so I had to skip the last set. But man were my arms ever fried!

NICE WORK DUDE!

Moe Hawk
09-02-08, 4:44 pm
NICE WORK DUDE!

Thanks man.

looks good

Thanks bro.

Littlefry
09-02-08, 5:10 pm
Looking godd Moe your putting up some solid numbers now. You can add powerlifting into bill stars routine, originally that is how it was set up with clean+jerk, deads, squat and bench. Check out madcows website it states somewhere in the article where you can add in more powerlifting.

Moe Hawk
09-06-08, 7:17 pm
I'm training with a guy who's a shotputter and also holds records in his weight division for the clean and jerk and the snatch. he's going over my technique and following my progress and we're training together.

Hangcleans- Technique for this is iffy. I can't squat under the weight and it keeps throwing me forward.

115x5
115x5
165x2 (pretty had. Switched to full cleans)

165x5
185x5
185x5
185x2

I'm not thrusting my hips out enough to squat under the bar. I'm using way too much trap and arm involvement. I need to work on flexibility.

Jerks from the rack

95x6
115x6
135x6
155x6
165x2

Not use to split jerks though he said I did very well with them.

I'm taking tomorrow off and doing 5x5 on Monday.

shizz702
09-06-08, 7:53 pm
I'm training with a guy who's a shotputter and also holds records in his weight division for the clean and jerk and the snatch. he's going over my technique and following my progress and we're training together.

Hangcleans- Technique for this is iffy. I can't squat under the weight and it keeps throwing me forward.

115x5
115x5
165x2 (pretty had. Switched to full cleans)

165x5
185x5
185x5
185x2

I'm not thrusting my hips out enough to squat under the bar. I'm using way too much trap and arm involvement. I need to work on flexibility.

Jerks from the rack

95x6
115x6
135x6
155x6
165x2

Not use to split jerks though he said I did very well with them.

I'm taking tomorrow off and doing 5x5 on Monday.

Good work bro.

You got to understand, there's a difference between a power clean, and a clean. A power clean does not require you to squat under the bar, you power the bar up from the ground to your shoulders in one exposive lift without squatting under the bar where as with a clean you do a full squat under the bar. Different lifts, with different purposes, just cause you aren't squatting under the bar doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong.

Also, the traps are one of the biggest muscles involved in the second pull. Those are what you use to explode the bar up after you deadlift it. Make sure not to curl back with the arms though, just shrug hard with the traps.

If you want to do full cleans and develop the flexibility to do so it's gonna take a long time. I've been doing power cleans, power snatches, hang cleans, and db snatches for some time now and still haven't developed the flexibility to catch them in a full squat position. Never really worked on it, but every time I attempt to catch it that way I just can't seem to do it. So I prefer the power variations.

Anyways good work though bro, you obviously have got some good solid strength starting off with the kind of weight you're using. Keep it up and you'll get strong on these lifts in no time.

Moe Hawk
09-10-08, 9:38 pm
I haven't had an Olympic session since saturday and the tightness in my back has decreased greatly. I did, however, due part of my 5x5 workout on Monday and I completed my 4x5 today.

Monday 5x5

Squat

185x5
225x5
265x5
305x2

Had to call it in there as my back which had been tight before was really starting to become sore

Bench

160x5
190x5
210x5
225x4
230x4

Will try for the 235 triple on friday.

That was all as my back was really tight and thus I didn't wanna risk it on rows. I had no place to do hyperextensions either.

Wednesday

Much better even though it started off as crap.

Squat 4x5

185x5
225x5
265x5
265x5

No belt. Pretty much as far as I could go down.

Push Press

Decided to switch to push press because it suits Olympic Weightlifting better than Militaries.

The weight is progressing the same as my militaries were.

135x5
155x5
165x5
175x4

The first rep I barely locked out, the second I locked out no problem, the third I locked out but it made me swiver and the 4th I only got up 3/4 of the way. I surprisingly use very little leg drive. It still feels like it's mostly shoulders and triceps.

deadlift 4x5

This was the icing on the cake of this workout. I was surprised at my own pulling strength and mental focus as I was still recovering a tad bit from tightness in my back.

175x5
265x5
355x5
405x5

Weighted Pull-ups

BWx5
BW+15x5
BW+25x5

decided to call it in here as I had to get ready for class.

Note that I made sure to stretch out my hamstrings and back before my workout, during my workout, and after. I will be getting a massage for my lower back tomorrow on top of doing an Olympic session.

I'm sorry that I haven't been posting in any of my subscribers logs but I haven't been coming on much. School is beginning to pick up.

Moe Hawk
10-11-08, 11:57 pm
Whoa! It's October 11 and it's been a month since I've been on here. I haven't posted or even browsed the forvm. No, I didn't forget about my log for good though as I am deciding to re-post.

Just to let all of you know: I've switched to Olympic Weightlifting as my main focus. A lot of times I've had to train on my own because I was at home for 2 weeks because the University faculty went on strike.

I still Powerlift though, but only for 2 sessions of the week.

Since I've been doing O-lifting I've found that I've become more flexible. stretching isn't so uncomfortable anymore and I can squat a lot easier than before. My strength has gone up a bit. Some stats to give a perspective:

240x3 on bench
325x3 on squat (and come Monday I'll def try and get that for 5)
455 deadlift
185x5 push press
245x3 front squat (doing multiple sets)
275x8 squat

For my O-lifting progress I'm doing pretty good.

I've cleaned 205 for sets of singles and am confident I can do multiple reps of it soon. I'm also confident that I can hit a 225 clean this month maybe even my goal of 250. My partner Steve has def given me solid coaching on the clean.

I've snatched 135 for reps, though my form is questionable. I still need to practice squatting under the bar after the high pull.

Here is my new routine:

Monday 4x5 with a triple alternating with a 5x5 every other monday for squat, bench, and row. I then do a set of 8 with the weight used for 3rd set. Finally, 3 sets of 8 with weighted dips, barbell curls, and tricep extensions.

Tuesday is usually clean day as I'll work on full cleans from the ground, pyramiding up to my top set. I'll then do jerks from the rack doing 3 sets of 6. Finally full clean and jerks for multiple sets.

Wednesday is an active rest day.

Thursday is snatch day where I do 4 sets of 6 for snatch squats and usually sets of 3-5 pyramiding up to top weight for full snatches. Occasionally, Steve will have me do hangsnatches.

Friday is font squats with 5x5, push presses going 4x5, deadlifts with 4x5, and sets of pull-ups (I now only use bodyweight as I'm going to focus on doing more reps.

Saturday is a clean day again along with jerks from the rack.

Sunday is an active rest day.

This is my new routine and it's working out for me so far. There are still elements of Starr's program in it but I tailored it to work for O-lifting.

Moe Hawk
10-12-08, 12:09 am
Enough is enough! I've been consistently pulling 4 plates (I actually hit 405x5 on deadlift a few times) since April! Even though my max has gone up to 455 I want those 5 plates baby! A 500 pound deadlift is a testimony to achieving some form of prestige in this game. IMO it's the first line drawn between the casual and the hardcore. I'm ready to step over that line, but I'm going to need help.

As you've read above, I've switched to Olympic Weightlifting. But I still wanna powerlift. I've always been a goo puller but I think I've reached my natural limit where now I'll have to start training the deadlift.

The first thing I've realized is that I have trouble locking out. I've read that rack pulls will greatly increase your deadlift but I'm not sure how to do the cycle. 5x5??? Also, how many times per week. bear in mind, as I've posted my routine above, I already tax my body with O-lifts and squats consistently so I'll have to watch out for overtraining. How high should the pins be? Shpuld I progressively lower the pins every week? When should I switch back to deads off of the floor? Any assistance exercises to supplement with? I have no access to any bands and chains, so any one who decides to post should be aware of that. I have a naturally strong lower back and strong glute s and hips, so I'm pretty built for d'ling. I just need to find a sweet program. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks guys!

mark
10-12-08, 4:32 am
be more explosive on your oly stuff and the deadlift will come around. Between all the explosive pulls and squatting heavy every couple of days, your deadlift will just fine... and don't forget to work your abs hard

shizz702
10-12-08, 6:12 am
Enough is enough! I've been consistently pulling 4 plates (I actually hit 405x5 on deadlift a few times) since April! Even though my max has gone up to 455 I want those 5 plates baby! A 500 pound deadlift is a testimony to achieving some form of prestige in this game. IMO it's the first line drawn between the casual and the hardcore. I'm ready to step over that line, but I'm going to need help.

As you've read above, I've switched to Olympic Weightlifting. But I still wanna powerlift. I've always been a goo puller but I think I've reached my natural limit where now I'll have to start training the deadlift.

The first thing I've realized is that I have trouble locking out. I've read that rack pulls will greatly increase your deadlift but I'm not sure how to do the cycle. 5x5??? Also, how many times per week. bear in mind, as I've posted my routine above, I already tax my body with O-lifts and squats consistently so I'll have to watch out for overtraining. How high should the pins be? Shpuld I progressively lower the pins every week? When should I switch back to deads off of the floor? Any assistance exercises to supplement with? I have no access to any bands and chains, so any one who decides to post should be aware of that. I have a naturally strong lower back and strong glute s and hips, so I'm pretty built for d'ling. I just need to find a sweet program. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks guys!

Moe you and I are on the exact same page brotha! I'm gunning for a 500 lb dead right now too. And I couldn't have said it better, 500 is a big milestone that definitely seperates the hardcore and the average. Man I want that big 5 bad! I pulled 425 the other day.

Glad to see you getting into the oly lifting. It can be really fun and it translates into a lot of things. The explosive lifts help you recruit more motor units and teach you to explode from a dead stop. Keep it up, they'll pay off.

Also glad to see you back on board, check my journey out sometime if you get a chance, I've been making vids of my sessions now and I'd love to see what you think.

Moe Hawk
10-12-08, 1:37 pm
Moe you and I are on the exact same page brotha! I'm gunning for a 500 lb dead right now too. And I couldn't have said it better, 500 is a big milestone that definitely seperates the hardcore and the average. Man I want that big 5 bad! I pulled 425 the other day.

Glad to see you getting into the oly lifting. It can be really fun and it translates into a lot of things. The explosive lifts help you recruit more motor units and teach you to explode from a dead stop. Keep it up, they'll pay off.

Also glad to see you back on board, check my journey out sometime if you get a chance, I've been making vids of my sessions now and I'd love to see what you think.

Good luck gunning for that 5 plate deadlift, Shizz. Glad to see that your max is up to 425. Did u pull it sumo or conventional? Like I posted before, I'm going to do rack pulls for awhile but I gotta find a proper routine. I'll definitely stop by your journey. Are you posting your workout vids in your journey or on youtube?

be more explosive on your oly stuff and the deadlift will come around. Between all the explosive pulls and squatting heavy every couple of days, your deadlift will just fine... and don't forget to work your abs hard

Thanks. Yeah, explosion is a must in order to succeed in a lift. I'm actually trying to be explosive in pretty much everthing now. I haven't been training abs directly, but they been getting worked out because of their involvement in stabilizing during the O lifts.

Moe Hawk
10-14-08, 12:09 am
Training at home, using a thick 50 pound bar for all of my sets and with my dad helping and coaching me.

Squat:

190x5
230x5
280x6 (easy!)
300x3 (Decided to do this so I could make the transition of going from 275 to 315 easier).
320x4 (grr! Gotta push for that 5th rep!)
330x1 (went down for a 2nd rep. Thought I'd get it. Nope. Had to dump the weight).
280x8 (Oh yeah!)

Squats are def getting stronger. All thanks to O-Lifting most likely.

Bench: Doing it at home in my cage again I messed up a few of my sets by banging the weight against the pins and not setting up the bench positioning properly.

140x5
190x5
210x5
230x3 (Failed at 4th rep. Could have got it had my dad just gave me a little assistance).
230x1 (Hit rack on way up so fucked me up. Felt like I could have got it for another 2 reps had that not happened).
230x2 (Barely got the 2nd rep)
230x0 (Hell no lol)
195x9 (Hell yeah!)

Chin-ups

BWx5
BWx5
BWx6
BWx7
BWx7

Done here. Changing everything around, repositioning the bar and pins in the cage, moving bench and such in and out plus the rest periods made for a very long 2 hour workout. All in all, I'm pleased with the workout especially with the squats. I can't wait to be squatting 3 plates with ease.

P.S. All squat were done with a belt.

Moe Hawk
10-17-08, 5:10 pm
Yesterday was snatch day where my trainer had me doing 3 sets of 6 with 95 pound snatch squats onto a low bench followed by full snatches with sets of 95 pounds, 115 pounds, and only one rep of 135 pounds. Too tired to do it for more reps. I still need to work on form though but I am slowly improving.

Tody was a sweet workout even though I felt like shit when I woke up.

Rack Pulls: Decided to switch to high rack pulls where I was only locking the weight out. Each week I'll progressively set the pins lower.

135x5
225x5
315x5
365x6
405x6
455x3
495x3
500x3
500x0 (toast)

Push press from the ground

135x5
155x5
170x5
185x4
190x3

Front squats: I was sort of falling onto my toes coming up with the weight.

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5
235x4

Low Box Squats

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5

And that's all she wrote. I'm going to do sets of bodyweight pull-ups and chin-ups when I get home along with some intensive stretching.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-17-08, 5:12 pm
congrats on the 500 rack pulls

Moe Hawk
10-17-08, 5:16 pm
congrats on the 500 rack pulls

Thanks Squat! I need to check up on your journal to see how you're coming along.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-17-08, 5:20 pm
Thanks Squat! I need to check up on your journal to see how you're coming along.

LOL youll have to go back a few pages to find my wo's.. theres been a bit more BS than usual lately

Moe Hawk
10-24-08, 11:10 pm
I took the rest of the week off because I wasn' t feeling 100 percent and I had to study for mid-terms. After finishing my mid-term, I got a meal in me, went back home to stretch an headed off to the gym feeling a little pumped but knowing that I couldn't honestly expect to put up pr's in everything.

Back Squats:

185x5
225x5
275x5
300x5
300x5
300x4
310x2
225x10

Bench

135x5
185x5
205x7
225x5 (difficult)
215x5 (last rep was forced)
215x5 (last 2 were forced)

Rack Pulls (pins set right on the knees so lower than last time. My grip was already weary from the benching)

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3
455x3
455x3

I'm confident that, given I begin these at the beginning of my workout I can hit 495 for reps at the same height.

Pull-ups

Again just working on reps with my bodyweight.

BWx5 military style
BWx5 military style
BWx5 conventional style
BWx5 military style
BWx5 conventional style

Went for another set of militaries. Couldn't do one. Toast after that.

Moe Hawk
10-25-08, 6:56 pm
Decided to switch things around a bit. Instead of usually doing full cleans I decided to do hangcleans so I could force my hips into the cleaning movement, which I believe I have not been doing, recently.

Hangcleans:

95x5
115x5
135x6
145x5
155x3
155x2
155x3
(All of the 155 sets were pretty difficult, especially since my grip was giving out)
135x5

Jerks from the rack:

135x5
155x5
170x5
185x3
185x3
155x5

Whooee! The 185 sets were tough. On some reps I kinda pressed them out at the top.

Clean and jerks (Just with light weight. Working on speed and explosion which I also believe needs to be improved upon).

135x3
135x3
135x3

Note: I only cleaned them once each set. Made sure to explode. Boy, I sure did. Because felt so good exploding I decided to throw on 185 pounds and rep it out for a test

Cleans:

185x3
185x2

By this time my back was tight. Called it in and went home to shower and do some intensive stretching.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-25-08, 6:58 pm
good wos man

shizz702
10-25-08, 7:00 pm
Hell yea nice oly lifting bro!

Moe Hawk
10-25-08, 7:25 pm
good wos man

Hell yea nice oly lifting bro!

Thanks guys. I'll get back into the swing of things and start putting up some pr's. Just school and a slight sickness kept me back for a bit.

Some good news today though is that I met a pretty solid and athletic lifter today in the gym. He is also an Olympic Weightlifter and a pretty good one at that. We're gonna train together a few times and our first session is Monday which is a powerlifting day. I'm stoked cuz I finally got someone who's serious like me to train with in powerlifting, alongside my coach Steve who trains with me in Olympic Weightlifting. I'm so used to training alone lol.

Moe Hawk
10-28-08, 11:41 pm
I was supposed to lift with a guy I met the other day in the gym but he never showed. Looks like I had to lift solo again. I enjoyed the company of some really effin huge football players as the weight they were benching motivated me to lift hard.

No new Pr's in anything especially squats which is kind of disappointing but it was 2 weeks since I last did this routine.

Squat

190x5
230x5
280x5
300x3
320x1
320x1
305x2
305x2
300x3
280x3

Damn! Hella lot of volume. Next monday I'm gonna do a 4x5 with a triple 2.5% heavier than my top set.

Bench

135x5
185x5
205x5
215x5
225x3

Barbell rows

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x4
225x5

Weighted Dips

BWx8
BW+25x7
BW+45x6

Done the workout here. Haven't done a workout like this in weeks. I might throw in some barbell curls and tricep extensions for some assistance work if I have more time.

Moe Hawk
10-28-08, 11:49 pm
I repeated the last Olympic session I did, Saturday. At first I was a little frustrated with my hangcleans but they are coming along. I just gotta start activating my hips more. The workout really began to pick up as it progressed.

Hangcleans:

95x6
95x6
115x5
135x5
155x2
155x1
135x3
135x3
135x5 (really pushed it here. My hangclean seems so low but I have trouble squatting down. This comes from havinga big ass that predominates my hamstrings. I got thi way from years of doing no functional physical activity).
115x6 (Speed hangcleans here. Working on explosion)

Jerks from the rack:

135x5
155x5
175x5
185x5
195x2.5 (Just missed locking out the 3rd rep).

Full clean and jerk singles

135x1
135x1
185x1
185x1
185x1

Ended up split cleaning the last set. Sooner or later, maybe next tuesday's clean session I'll gun for a 200 pound clean and jerk.

Overall a good workout. Was really pumped and happy leaving the gym.

Moe Hawk
10-30-08, 11:03 pm
Snatch Squats onto a low bench:

These are designed to train my hip flexors and allow for more mobility and flexibility.

95x5
95x5
95x5

Full snatches:

95x5
115x5
115x3
115x3
115x3
(Honestly I forgot how many ets of 115 I did. i did quite a bit because Steve filmed me a couple of times for form critique. He said that: I need to drop my ass lower, keep my elbows turned out and kept locked as I bring it past my knees, and thrust the weight sorta into me as it clears my knees. As I continued on in the workout he said that I was continuously improving).

I then did a set of 125x2

Going upstairs we did some sprints and I ran the 30m a few times.

I had a crappy 40m dash only running it in 6 seconds because I had a bad start, the shoes I was wearing were not suitable to the running surface, and I began to slow down near the finish lol (I seemed to have kept doing that)

I did run a 30m in 4 seconds though. That was by far my best run.

Littlefry
10-30-08, 11:29 pm
Looking good moehawk, I see you have incorprated the O-lifts alot into your training recently, you should look into bill/madcows advacned 5x5 it incorprates a fair amount of O-lifts and steady increases weekly.

Moe Hawk
11-01-08, 11:11 pm
I was working out at home and I during my workout I found out that my garage ceiling is too low to do jerks. So I decided to skip the jerks and just do hangcleans, high pulls (new to these), chin-ups (with varying grips) and some ab-work.

Hangcleans

The bar I was using is pretty thick, it weighs about 50 pounds. I swear, whenever I lift at home it always seems like the weight's bit heavier, lol, since I have concrete weights instead of iron.

100x6
100x6
120x5
130x3
140x3
150x0 (Damn! I'll get more than this next time when I'm back at school)
140x3
120x5 (Getting tired here)

This is when I found out tht I could not possibly do jerks. Little pissed about it.

High Pulls:

First time doing these. They're fun as hell to do and great for releasing the rage we animals have.

140x5
160x5
190x3 (jumped too high. Grip was slipping)
170x5
180x5 (Oh yeah. Really pounded this one out)

Chin-ups: The second and fourth sets are with a close-overhand grip while the rest are with an underhand grip.

BWx8
BWx6
BWx7
BWX6
BWx6

Hanging Knee Raises

BWx4 (Grip gave out too early)
BWx10
BWx10

My next clean session, which is Tuesday, I'm going to shoot for a 205 pound clean and jerk. Wish me luck! I may consider competing if it goes well.

Moe Hawk
11-01-08, 11:20 pm
Franco Columbu: The ultimate package. The strongest man who ever lived.

I admire a lot of strength athletes. Actually, many athletes in particular. From bodybuilders like Frank McGrath and Arnold Schwarzenegger to pro powerlifters like Andy Bolton to those unknown hardworking to many but are known to me such as my subscribers and my coach Steve.

Moe Hawk
11-01-08, 11:42 pm
The post that you are readin bove is incomplete. I accidentally submitted it and began to edit it but when I submitted the finished part it said that I could not post it because it expired past the 5 minute limit.

Moe Hawk
11-01-08, 11:59 pm

I admire a lot of strength athletes. Actually, many athletes in particular. From bodybuilders like Frank McGrath and Arnold Schwarzenegger to pro powerlifters like Andy Bolton to those unknown hardworking to many but are known to me such as my subscribers and my coach Steve. However, one athlete, one lifter stands out as my idol and inspiration. That is none other than the great Sardinian and 2 time Mr.Olympia Franco Columbu.
To put it simply, he was the complete package. He had size, symmetry, definition, thickness. It's just a shame that he was overshadowed by Arnold, probably due to his height and the fact that Arnold was always in the spotlight and was the poster-boy. Franco also had strength and power. A lot of it. At a bodyweight of 190 pounds he bench-pressed 525 pounds, squatted 665 pounds, deadlifted 750 pounds, clean and pressed 350 pounds, snatched 300 pounds, and clean and jerked 442 pounds. He also blew up hot water jugs, lifted cars off of the ground, and was a temendous athlete as he was also a boxing champion. The man might as well have been superman.
The reason I am writing this is that I hope to one day be like Franco Columbu. Even a year from now, after vigorous Powerliting and Weightlifting training, I hope to have achieved at least a quarter of his finese. I have to understand though that it takes patience and persistence. I have to keep saying to myself that I can't expect to somehow magically be benching 315 pounds or snatching 275 pounds in a month or 2. A skyscraper is built one upport beam at a time, afterall. I will want to quit and I have wantd to a few times. After I'm done my self-pitying I wisen the fuck up and say to myself "So, that's it! You're just gonna give up like that. After all of what you've put your body through you're not even going to attempt to materialize your dreams?" This thought process keeps me in check but it also helps to look at the greats, like Franco, and see that more or less, perserverance and determination were what generally got them to where they are today.
I have to be patient and determined and the I will begin to reap what I've sewn. I can't get deterred by petty little things. Oh boo hoo I didn't lift what I wanted to lift, I get no appreciation or support! Well I chose to do this so what do I honestly expect? Life's not fair and we all seem to have something to prove. I don't plan to quit at all! I know that I can get stronger than I ever thought but we'll have to let the months and years show for that. Peace everybody.

Moe Hawk
11-04-08, 3:27 pm
This workout was kick ass! Set a new PR in the clean and jerk.

Clean and Jerk:

115x4
115x5
135x5
145x4
185x1
190x1
205x1
205x1

The last 2 singles were a PR and Steve even timed me as if to simulate an actual Weightlifting meet.

Hangcleans:

115x5
115x5
135x4
145x1

Grip was beginning to give out and I had no straps.

High Pulls:

135x5
185x5
205x5
215x3
225x4
225x5

And this i it. I'm proud of my new PR and now I'm gunning for a 225 pound clean and jerk in a few weeks.

Littlefry
11-04-08, 10:10 pm
This workout was kick ass! Set a new PR in the clean and jerk.

Clean and Jerk:

115x4
115x5
135x5
145x4
185x1
190x1
205x1
205x1

The last 2 singles were a PR and Steve even timed me as if to simulate an actual Weightlifting meet.

Hangcleans:

115x5
115x5
135x4
145x1

Grip was beginning to give out and I had no straps.

High Pulls:

135x5
185x5
205x5
215x3
225x4
225x5

And this i it. I'm proud of my new PR and now I'm gunning for a 225 pound clean and jerk in a few weeks.

I admire a lot of strength athletes. Actually, many athletes in particular. From bodybuilders like Frank McGrath and Arnold Schwarzenegger to pro powerlifters like Andy Bolton to those unknown hardworking to many but are known to me such as my subscribers and my coach Steve. However, one athlete, one lifter stands out as my idol and inspiration. That is none other than the great Sardinian and 2 time Mr.Olympia Franco Columbu.
To put it simply, he was the complete package. He had size, symmetry, definition, thickness. It's just a shame that he was overshadowed by Arnold, probably due to his height and the fact that Arnold was always in the spotlight and was the poster-boy. Franco also had strength and power. A lot of it. At a bodyweight of 190 pounds he bench-pressed 525 pounds, squatted 665 pounds, deadlifted 750 pounds, clean and pressed 350 pounds, snatched 300 pounds, and clean and jerked 442 pounds. He also blew up hot water jugs, lifted cars off of the ground, and was a temendous athlete as he was also a boxing champion. The man might as well have been superman.
The reason I am writing this is that I hope to one day be like Franco Columbu. Even a year from now, after vigorous Powerliting and Weightlifting training, I hope to have achieved at least a quarter of his finese. I have to understand though that it takes patience and persistence. I have to keep saying to myself that I can't expect to somehow magically be benching 315 pounds or snatching 275 pounds in a month or 2. A skyscraper is built one upport beam at a time, afterall. I will want to quit and I have wantd to a few times. After I'm done my self-pitying I wisen the fuck up and say to myself "So, that's it! You're just gonna give up like that. After all of what you've put your body through you're not even going to attempt to materialize your dreams?" This thought process keeps me in check but it also helps to look at the greats, like Franco, and see that more or less, perserverance and determination were what generally got them to where they are today.
I have to be patient and determined and the I will begin to reap what I've sewn. I can't get deterred by petty little things. Oh boo hoo I didn't lift what I wanted to lift, I get no appreciation or support! Well I chose to do this so what do I honestly expect? Life's not fair and we all seem to have something to prove. I don't plan to quit at all! I know that I can get stronger than I ever thought but we'll have to let the months and years show for that. Peace everybody.

Solid workout Moehawk and insprational words. That is one of the best things Ive read on here from a person looking to acheive there goals, and its a very unique way to look at it. Just to let you know starting on sunday I will be running a 5X5 routine encoprating olympic lifts with the basic compound movements of powerlifting. Set those goals bro and you will accomplish them, beleive me it take time but every goal I have set I have accomplished, it jsut takes the will to keep pushing when everyone else stops.

Moe Hawk
11-04-08, 11:38 pm
Thanks Bro! We can both achieve all of our goals through persistence and passion. Good luck with your new program and the Olympic lifts. They are fun to perform.

Moe Hawk
11-06-08, 3:04 pm
I just did full snatches from the ground, this time focusing on my best single. My form has greatly improved and I'm finally beginning to get my form down.

Snatch:

95x5
95x5
115x5
115x4
125x3
135x3 (PR)
135x1
155x0 (Psyched myself out)
155x0 (Got it up to my upper chest but couldn't flip it over my head while ducking under it).

I then finished off with some plyometrics doing 2 sets of jump squats, scissor splits, and medicine ball throws.

Moe Hawk
11-08-08, 2:27 am
Sweet workout. Ton of volume.

Rack pulls:

135x5
225x5
315x5
405x3
455x2
475x1
495x1

Speed Deadlifts:

225x5
315x5
315x3
365x3
385x2
405x1

Push Presses:

135x5
155x5
175x5
185x5
195x0 (Knee was hurting. Get it next time.)

Front squats:

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x5
255x4

Slipping out nof grip. Happy with PR!

Pull-ups

BWx8
BWx6
BWx6
BWx5

Toast! Couldn't do another set.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-08-08, 5:18 am
good wrk moe.. great pullin

Moe Hawk
11-08-08, 8:53 pm
After doing some light cleans I realized that I should lay off on the cleans a bit.

Light cleans:

135x3
135x3
135x3
165x1
165x1

Jerks from the rack:

135x5
155x5
175x3
185x3
195x2
205x3 (PR)
185x5 (Really pushed the last couple out).

High Pulls:

135x5
165x5
185x3
205x3
225x3
235x3

Cable crunches

3 sets of 15 making sure to really squeeze my abs at the bottom of the concentric portion.

Moe Hawk
11-14-08, 12:03 am
The sickness that has been going around this area kept me out of the gym since Saturday. I'm fully recovered now and had a pretty good return session.

Snatches:

warm-up with the bar

95x5
95x5
115x5
115x5
125x5
135x2
135x4
135x4
145x1
145x1
145x0 (Just too tired lol)

Snatch-grip High Pulls:

135x5
145x5
155x5

(Decided to stop because didn't want to reopen my scabs and bleed all over the platform.

Snatch squats:

95x5
95x4
95x5

Ugh! Done after these. Nice return session after being sick for almost the whole week. Glad to have set PR's with the 135 sets and with snatching 145. Next goal is to snatch 2 red bumper plates (25 kilo's) which amounts to roughly 155 pounds.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-14-08, 12:06 am
good snatch work man... who cares about a lil blood??

Moe Hawk
11-14-08, 12:28 am
Thanks Squat. Always appreciate the support. Yeah lol but...It's impolite to spill blood and quite frankly disgusting onto the wooden platform, especially since female athletes use it. We only have one after all. But I see your point. If it were my own I wouldn't have gave a shit and would have bled somemore to finish my sets. As Ronnie Coleman said "You gotta bleed!"

SQUAT or DIE!
11-14-08, 12:31 am
Thanks Squat. Always appreciate the support. Yeah lol but...It's impolite to spill blood and quite frankly disgusting onto the wooden platform, especially since female athletes use it. We only have one after all. But I see your point. If it were my own I wouldn't have gave a shit and would have bled somemore to finish my sets. As Ronnie Coleman said "You gotta bleed!"

LOL fuck the other ppl... if ya gotta bleed, ya gotta bleed... glad to support ya moe.

Moe Hawk
11-15-08, 10:57 pm
I fiddled around with my squat position yesterday, switching between a close-grip on the bar (holding it inwards more) and a close stance with my feet. I also squatted barefoot because my old chucks finally gave out (after the workout that is). Here's what I discovered: The close stance squats felt pretty good. I found that I am a lot more flexible now as I was able to hit parallel without leaning in too much, therefore remain ing more upright. Because I had a narrower grip there wasn't as much pressure on my spine. I have concluded that I will stick with this type of Olympic squatting.

Squats:

185x5
225x5
275x5
295x3
225x5
225x5
275x5
275x5
295x3
315x1

Bench:

140x5
190x5
210x3
230x3
240x2
250x1

Bent-over rows:

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x3
245x3
245x2
225x6 (Speedy and very very jerky)

SQUAT or DIE!
11-15-08, 11:00 pm
good work man... so your gonna go with a close stance huh? glad ya found somethin that works well for ya

Moe Hawk
11-15-08, 11:01 pm
Hangcleans:

40kgx5
40kgx5
50kgx5
60kgx3
was fed up so I decided to go back down and nail down the technique
50kgx5 (very explosive)
60kgx5
65kgx3
70kgx2

Jerks from the rack:

70kgx5
80kgx5
90kgx3
90kgx2
90kgx4

Hang High Pulls:

70kgx5
75kgx5
80kgx5

Moe Hawk
11-17-08, 9:37 pm
Today I was wearing my winter boots which have elevated heels. I decided to test em out for this workout and boy are they effective. For my high-bar, close-stance squats I was easily able to keep upright and hit way below parallel. I'm confident I can finally bust past 315 for reps.

Squat:

135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
295x3
315x3
225x5
275x5

Bench:

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x2
225x2
225x2
185x5 (speed reps)
135x5 (very fast reps)

Bent-over rows:

135x5
185x5
205x5
225x3
225x3
225x3

Decided to finish up here since I had to get back and do essay writing and research. TBH everything except the squats seemed bland. Benching seems to have lost its appeal to me since I've been doing Olympic Weightlifting. I'm enjoying the progress on the squats though. Olympic Weightlifters are insanely strong in both back squats and front squats. We'll see if I can hit a 275 front squat this friday!

Moe Hawk
04-25-09, 1:49 am
Alright. I know I forgot about this journal but it's time to get back into logging now that school is done and I can focus a lot more of time into training. I'm still lifting as intensely as ever even though I had a 3 week hiatus earlier this month due to exam preparation. I'm back into it now and have done 4 sessions already.

Just some notes: I'm going to be trained by a former powerlifter turned semi-pro bodybuilder who's putting me on a program. I start sometime this upcoming week. I'm not too sure what protocols he's going to use, maybe some sort of varied 5x5. It's a powerlifting/olympic lifting program as I want to compete in both.

I want bother updating you guys on my lifts now. That'll be a surprise for all of us the weight I can put up.

Moe Hawk
04-25-09, 2:05 am
The workout I did went well and took less than 2 hours. It was odd though, I felt depressed half way between the workout.

Olympic style ass to grass squats. No belt: 6x3

150x3
200x3
250x3
270x3
280x3
300x3

Push presses having cleaned the bar from the ground:

5x3

150x3
170x3
180x3
185x3
190x3

Romanian Deadlifts 5x5:

150x5
200x5
220x5
230x5
240x5

Underhand barbell rows:

150x5
170x5
180x5
190x5
200x5

Fingertip pull-ups supersetted with chin-ups:

3x3 for each set with only my bodyweight. I put on a bit of weight and as a consequence pull-ups are harder. However, once I begin working and running along with my regular training I'll drop the excess pounds while, simultaneously, getting stronger.

Hanging knee raises. I normally do hanging leg raises but I was too close to the ground.
3x20 along with some oblique twists thrown in.

Twisting dumbbell crunch:

Did a set of 10 with a 25 pound dumbbell, too hard, so I switched to a 10 pound dumbbell and it was very effective.

The goals I have in mind come the beginning of the school year in September are as follows: Now these aren't necessarily all going to be attainable but it's something to put all of your effort into achieving:

(Don't laugh at any of these, lol, as I'm serious lolz).

315 bench
405 squat for reps and a 4 plate deep squat (no belt)
545 deadlift
120 kilo clean and jerk
85-90 kilo snatch
300+ front squats for reps
Be able to do pull-ups and dips with excess weight
Dunk on a 10 foot net (lmao I know it's wild if u know me. I'm 5'7' with an endomorphic build but I can jump).
Run a 40 in 4.6
Bench 225 for god knows how many reps
Start wrestling.
And of course compete in meets.
Weigh no more than 205.

One thing I should add is that I'm going to be running 3 nights a week to encourage fat loss and build endurance. My endurance is crap, I doubt I'd be able to finish a mile. That's fucking pathetic.

Moe Hawk
04-26-09, 10:03 pm
This workout was pretty quick. About 80 minutes. It was pretty good but I still need instruction on my clean from the ground.

Front Squats. Real deep front squats:

150x5
170x5
200x5
220x5
250x5
270x4

Squatting is my strong point lol.

Hangcleans:

125x5
150x5
160x3
170x3
180x3

Cleans

150x3
160x3
180x3
180x3

Tonight I plan to run a few kilometers to lose fat and gain endurance. I also plan to stretch intensively to gain more flexibility.

Moe Hawk
04-28-09, 8:39 pm
Bench Press

150x5
170x5
180x3
200x5
210x3
225x3
230x3

All of these top sets weren't so tough so I'll make sure to push for 5 next session.

Tricep dips

I had no parallel bars to do regular dips so I did these

BWX8
BWX10
BWX12

Seated dumbbell curls:

2 sets of super strict 40 pound dumbbell curls done for each arm.

Moe Hawk
04-28-09, 8:50 pm
Bench Press

150x5
170x5
180x3
200x5
210x3
225x3
230x3

All of these top sets weren't so tough so I'll make sure to push for 5 next session.

Tricep dips

I had no parallel bars to do regular dips so I did these

BWX8
BWX10
BWX12

Seated dumbbell curls:

2 sets of super strict 40 pound dumbbell curls done for each arm.

Forgot to mention that I ran probably a total of 4 or 5 miles, last night. Not altogether but in a sequence which ws me running around my old elementary school's perimeter, which is quite big.

Moe Hawk
04-29-09, 11:33 pm
Squat:

150x5
200x5
250x5
300x5
320x5
330x5
260x12

The last set killed me! Was quite out of breath.

Good Mornings:

150x5
200x7
200x8

Hanging knee raises alternating with hanging oblique twists:

3 sets with bodyweight.

3 sets of 20 with a ten pound dumbbell. The burn was pretty good.

My workout will also include some stretching, especially in the hip flexors and a run.

T o m m Y
04-30-09, 6:48 am
Nice squats dude
what are you stats for the big 3 and and whats the wt these days

Moe Hawk
04-30-09, 2:44 pm
What's up small. Don't know my weight, probably around 220 but I'm trying to lose weight. My stats for the big 3? lol I'm like you and not too sure. I recently benched 250 which isn't that goo for my size but my deadlift is in the mid 400s and my squat probably 370-380ish. Just go back a page to check my goals. I had a 3 week hiatus because of school but my strength has not seem to be affected.

I also O-lift and I focus on snatches, cleans, and jerks.

T o m m Y
04-30-09, 3:14 pm
How tall?

Moe Hawk
04-30-09, 4:21 pm
I'm 5'7' with thick wrists, ankles andknees so I'm pretty built for power/olympic lifting.

Moe Hawk
05-01-09, 10:47 pm
This workout took just a little more than 2 hours.

Hangsnatches:

100x5
125x5
135x3
140x3
145x2
150x1 (PR)
155x1 (PR)

Snatches:

Last time I did full sntches I hit 165 for a double.

125x4
135x4
150x2
155x1

My shoulders and triceps were giving out by this time. I had no trouble getting the weight over my head. I've become a lot more flexible and coordinated with my snatches.

Full squats:

150x3
200x3
220x3
250x3
275x3
300x3
310x2 (PR. Was tough but i GOT it.
320x2 (Holy shit! PR, this was friggin tough though)

BTW all of my squats were done without a belt.

Standing dumbbell press:

Heaviest I had were only the 50's

40'sx8
50'sx8
50'sx12
50'sx10

Pull-ups: Overhand and underhand

Doing a whole bunch of sets with 2 or 3 reps. I'm trying to get better at pull-ups but these will come along with weight loss.

Hanging leg and knee raises

BWx20
BWx20

Then just hanging knee raises

BWx20

Dumbbell crunch:

2 sets of 20 with a 50 pound dumbbell. Damn, these burned!

2 sets of 20 with a 10 pound dumbbell

Then oblique twists with just a pole on my back.

Note: I am running again tonight. I really want to drop the fat and water around my waist. I'm muscle pretty much everywhere else. I also got a job landscaping this summer. I won't be doing it for the whole summer but for maybe a month or 2. I start monday, we'll see how this works out with my powerlifting/Olympic lifting.

T o m m Y
05-01-09, 11:28 pm
wow
thats a killer session right there bro
good work

Moe Hawk
05-04-09, 9:38 pm
I got a job landscaping and today was my first day. About 10 hours (including breaks and meals) of shovelling dirt, stones, weeds, wheelbarrowing soil, and laying tarps. Suffice to say I was a lil tired but I still did my workout. I have begun my programtnath my trainer designed for me and it's tough so far. Today was leg day.

Squats 1x15 5x5

135x15
185x5
225x5
275x5
275x5
225x5

Lunges with dumbbells

50'sx8 steps each leg
50'sx7 steps each leg
35'sx8 steps each leg

leg extensions 3x15 not paying attention to weight. Don't care.

leg curls 3x15 again no attention to weight

hyperextensions

BWx15

Glute Ham Raises

BWx10

T o m m Y
05-04-09, 9:43 pm
nice session bro
well you def got your GPP work in today lol

Moe Hawk
05-04-09, 9:50 pm
hell yeah lol. Landscaping is effin tough. But at least it's not as fast or repetitive as factory work.

Moe Hawk
05-06-09, 10:12 pm
deadlifts:

135x15
225x10
315x6
365x4
385x2

I was thinking of doing 405 for 2, but I'll save that for next session.

Bent-over rows:

135x8
165x8
185x8

All easy.

one arm dumbbell rows

85x6
90x6
95x6

Front pulldowns:

3x15. Not really paying attention to the weight.

Hanging leg and knee raises
BWx15 (Legs)
BWX15 (Knees)
BWX15 (Legs)

Cable crunches

3x15 with the last 5 reps involving a oblique twists, which had my both elbows touching opposite knees.

T o m m Y
05-06-09, 10:16 pm
good day homie

Moe Hawk
05-06-09, 10:38 pm
thanks man. It was pretty good, considering I was stiff, sore , and sunburned.

Moe Hawk
05-07-09, 11:40 pm
Bench Press

95x20
135x3
185x3
205x3
225x3
245x3

dumbbell flyes on flat

35x8
35x8
55x8

Dumbbell Pullovers

55x12
65x12
80x8 (Too heavy)

Incline bench

135x10
155x5
155x6

Hanging leg raises

3 sets of 15 with bodyweight

decline sit-ups

2 sets of 12 and 10 with bodyweight.

Moe Hawk
05-11-09, 10:37 pm
I had a shoulder session but I didn't bother to record it. Today was leg day after hauling a lawnmower up and down a slope, sweeping patios ,picking out weeds and shovelling dirt for 7 hours.

Squats:

145x5
195x5
235x5
275x5
300x4
300x1

I'm sick of missing the last reps of my last set.

Lunges 3x8 for each leg

25'sx8
40'sx8
65'sx6
65'sx2

Leg extensions:

Again don't care bout the weight

3x10

leg curls:

3x15

Abs:

Roman chair leg lifts:

BWx15
BWx15
BWx15

Hanging knee raises:

BWx15
BWx15

Cable crunches:

125x15 with the last 5 reps having me touch each knee with the opposite elbow
150x15 same as above

Moe Hawk
05-13-09, 11:38 pm
Deadlifts:

135x15
225x10
315x6
365x4
395x2

Bent over rows:

135x8
185x8
205x8

one-arm dumbbell rows:

80x6
100x6
100x6

Front pulldowns:

100x15
120x15
130x15

Moe Hawk
05-15-09, 1:22 am
Bench press:

Had a shitty bench session.

95x20
135x3
185x3
205x3
225x3 (Barely grrr)
185x8

Flat Dumbbell flyes:

30'sx8
50'sx8
50'sx8

Dumbbell Pullovers:

50'sx12
65'sx12
80'sx9

Incline Bench:

115x9
135x8
165x6

Abs:

Roman chair leg raises:

BWx15
BWx15
BWx15

Hanging knee raises with some twists thrown in

BWx15
BWx15
BWx15

Cable crunches with last 5 reps touching each knee with opposite elbow:

120x15
150x15

Moe Hawk
05-17-09, 4:58 pm
I had a shoulder workout Friday, but I haven't recorded it until now.

Clean and Press:

95x15
105x10,x5 (Didn't have the endurance to finish the whoile 15 reps whoo I'm not used to 10-15 reps).
115x8,115x7

Same thing.

Upright rows:

75x10
95x10
115x10 (A little momentum near the end)

Side Laterals:

15'sx6
25'sx6
40'sx6 (Cheat reps near the end)

Calve raises:

80 kilosx15
110 kilosx15
140kilosx15

All done on the calf raise machine.

Moe Hawk
05-17-09, 5:15 pm
Jerks:

135x10, 135x5 (was supposed to hit 15 reps, but again didn't have the endurance)
155x10
170x6
185x2

Barbell Curls:

65x6
75x6
95x6

Alternating dumbbell curls:

40'sx12

Tricep Pushdowns:

120x15
135x15
135x15

One arm overhead tricep extension:

10'sx12
20'sx12
25'sx12

Close-Grip bench press:

135x5
165x5
185x5

Abs:

Roman chair leg lifts:

BWx20
BWx20
BWx15

Decline sit-ups:

BWx15
Bwx13 with the last 3 reps having me touch each knee with the opposite elbow
BWx13 (same deal as last set)

shizz702
05-17-09, 5:44 pm
Solid looking sessions Moe, keep pressing on!

Moe Hawk
05-17-09, 8:02 pm
Thanks a lot, Shizz.

Moe Hawk
05-20-09, 9:41 pm
I did legs yesterday but I didn't like the session so I didn't bother to record it.

Deadlifts:

155x15
235x10
345x6
405x1
405x1

Bent over rows:

155x8
185x8
205x8

one-arm dumbbell rows:

100x6
100x6
110x6

lat pulldowns:

110x15
130x15
140x15 (This was hard, I'm not very strong at pulldowns)

Hyperextensions:

BWx12
BWx12

Gluteham raises:

BWx12
BWx12

shizz702
05-20-09, 9:44 pm
Nice back work Moe, how's the journey to the five plate pull going? What are you maxing at?

Moe Hawk
05-20-09, 10:16 pm
Thanks. I have no idea what my max is probly 425-445. I need a good routine and some good coaching to get to 5 plates. My problem is the lockout, as I struggle to lock the weight out.

Moe Hawk
05-21-09, 8:48 pm
Chest Day:

I did a chest session with Big Joe, my personal trainer who well on his way to attaining his pro card and competing in the Mr. Canada, this August.

Bench Press:

95x20
135x10
185x4
225x3
225x3
225x3

Incline Barbell:

135x10
135x10
135x10

The last couple of reps on the last 2 sets were forced.

Flat Dumbbell Press:

60sx10
70'sx3
90'sx3

Dumbbell Pullovers:

60'sx10
60'sx10

And this was my workout.

SQUAT or DIE!
05-21-09, 9:05 pm
good work

Moe Hawk
05-24-09, 5:21 pm
I did a quick shoulder session yesterday where I did some clean and presses, going 100, 110, and 125 for my 3 sets of 15, though I broke the sets down into how many reps I could muster my first try since I just don't have the endurance to do 15 reps for 3 consecutive sets.

I also did some abs yesterday, doing twisting dumbbell crunches and weighted crunches.

Arm Day:

Jerks:

135x15
145x 10 then 5 omg it burns!
175x6 (A little shaky)
190x2 (Easy! Could get 200 next time)

Barbell curls:

75x6
95x6
105x5 (failure at 5)

Dumbbell curls:

I did the 45's for 5 be4 I realized it was too heavy, so I grabbed the 20's and pumped out 8 more reps, both arms

Tricep Pushdowns:

I was at a new gym so I was using different machines, and this machine had a single pulley cable, whereas the last one I used in my old gym was a double pulley. Thus this explains the huge weight deficit.

50x15
60x15
70x15

Dumbbell overhead extension:

25'sx12
25'sx12
30'sx12

Close Grip Bench Press:

145x5
170x5
190x5 (Piece of cake, I'll go for 200 next round)

Abs:

Hanging leg raises:

BWx15
BWx15
BWx15 plus 5 reps of knee raises

Decline sit-ups:

BWx10 with 3 twists
BWx10 w 3 twists
BW+20x15

Cable crunches:

60x10 with 5 alternating twists
90x5 (Too heavy)
80x10 with 5 alternating twists

I then did a set of 10 of Hanging knee raises

Littlefry
05-24-09, 10:59 pm
Looks like you putting in some solid work moehawk. You still in a bulking phase, or you just looking to maintain and add some lean mass?

Moe Hawk
06-01-09, 2:14 am
Sup Littlefry. No, I'm not bulking I really don't want to put on more weight. I just want to get as strong as possible. Overall strength, power, and flexibility are my general goals while the certain poundages in both the powerlifts and O-Lifts are my specific goals.

Well, I have to find another gym since my old one shut down. I first need to get the money. In the meantime, I have 2 personal training sessions left with Big Joe and I have equipment at home to train with however training at home instead of a gym is out of the question since it's too cramped to do a lot of stuff and it's a pain in the ass changing everything around.

I haven't been posting but I have been training. I missed a back session this week but I did legs with Joe (and it was murder, my legs were hurting for days), shoulders at this prospective gym and a shitty chest session at the same gym.

I did arms on sunday (today lol but any of you might be reading this on monday) and it went swell though I had to cut out a few things and switch stuff up.

Push Presses:

I had no room to do jerks so I did these

130x10
155x8
180x6
190x2

I cleaned the weight on all sets btw.

Barbell curls:

I only did one set and it was 75x8

Close-grip underhand chin-ups:

Decided to hit the bi's with these:

BWx3
BWx2
BWx2
BWx1

I know I suck at these, but it was a complete fullrange of motion, going from a dead hang stop to up as far as I could go.

Alternating dumbbell curls:

40'sx12 (easy! Should have used the 50's)

I was going to do skullcrushers but again no room.

Close-grip bench press:

I like these and I'm good at them. This was the best part of the workout.

150x3
180x3
205x3
220x3
230x3

Abs:

Hanging Knee raises:

BWx20
BWx20
BWx15

bench crunches:

3 sets of 20

BW+25x20
BW+25x20
BW+25x15

Oblique twists with a pole on my back: I did about 30 repetitions.

Tomorrow will be legs and I'll see if I can hit those up with Joe. I'm training back with him on tuesday, too.

Moe Hawk
06-01-09, 10:44 pm
Since I lack the equipment to do every lift my trainer specifies I just kept it to squats and bulgarian split lunges. I didn't do abs as I did them yesterday and will be doing them tomorrow.

Squats:

150x20
200x5
250x5
300x5
310x5
320x5
250x10 (Burnout set)

Bulgarian Split Lunges:

50'sx10 each leg
50'sx10 each leg
50'sx10 each leg

Not a lot of exercises in this workout but the squats and lunges took a lot out of me. Damn, sometimes I wonder why we all inflict this type of masochistic suffering on ourselves? Are we all mentally ill to some degree? Oh wait, I just can't stand being average and written off like I used to be and used to have happen to me.

See you guys later on.

Moe Hawk
06-03-09, 6:48 pm
Bench Press:

One thing I've discovered is that I think I am a natural close-gripper. I can generate more power from my back when using a closer grip than I can with a wider grip. I am going to talk to my trainer about this.

100x20
140x3
170x3
195x3
215x3
230x2
230x1

I wish I had a spotter to be gutsy enough to go for the third rep but I was training at home.

Flat dumbbell flyes:

40'sx8
50's8
50's8

Dumbbell Pullovers:

50x12
50x12
50x12

Incline bench:

140x10
160x8
185x3
175x5 (Had no spotter so didn't wanna risk failing on 6th rep).

Abs:

Hanging Knee Raises:

BWx20
BWx20
BWx20

Bench horizontal leg crunches:

BWx20
BWx20
BWx20

Superset with Oblique twists

Polexwhatever
70xwhatever
70xwhatevre

Wasn't counting the reps, but the weight was a barbell on my shoulders.

BW+10x20
BW+10x20

Dumbbell crunches:

BW+50x20
BW+50x20 (with an extermely powerful squeeze at the top ofthe last rep, held for 3 seconds.

Moe Hawk
06-05-09, 7:47 am
I did back with Big Joe and it was damn intense.

Deadlifts:

Joe said I wasn't getting my legs into the deadlift enough, which, he said, explained why I still struggle with 4 plates and why there's a big gap in my squat to deadlift ratio. He had me get my ass lower and touch the bar on the ground every rep. He believes I should be at 5 plates very soon.

135x15
315x5
405x3

I really grinded it out the last 3 reps.

Wide-grip bent-over barbell rows:

135x15
135x15
135x15

Lat pulldowns with close-grip underhand:

90x12
140x12
190x5 (forced)

One-arm dumbbell rows:

60x6
60x6
60x6

Abs:

Bench crunches with legs up in the air and knees touching forehead

BWx15
BWx15
BWx15

Moe Hawk
06-07-09, 5:38 pm
Push Press:

150x10
170x5
180x5
200x1

All cleaned from the ground.

Barbell curls:

65x6
85x6
110x4

Dumbbell curls:

40'sx12 each arm

Overhead dumbbell extension:

25'sx12
25'sx12
40'sx12

Close-grip bench press:

140x5
190x5
215x5 (Needed assistance in the 5th rep)

Abs:

Bench crunches:

BWx15
BWx20
BWx15

BW+25x20
BW+25x15
BW+25x20

Moe Hawk
07-08-09, 9:44 pm
I didn't really work out in June and this month I'm doing plyometrics and bodyweight exercises to encourage fat loss, gain endurance, give the body a break from heavy lifting and prepare myself for power and weight training next month.

Lunges: 3x12

45'sx6 (each leg)
55'sx6 (each leg)
65'sx6 (each leg)

Hurdle Hops:

5 sets of 3-5 over 2 step boxes

Rabbit hops:

2 sets of 6 jumps with a 15 pound medicine ball

Knee Tucks:

2 sets of 10

Scissor jumps:

2 sets of 10 alternating each leg