PDA

View Full Version : Reko's long journey to a 1,000 squat

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reko
07-23-08, 12:40 am
Starting a log here. Before anyone gets too excited I am no where near a 1,000 pound squat. It is just a lifetime goal that I have and plan to nail some day. I do strongman and Powerlifting. I just cut from 230 to 200 for a SM show and am now putting the weight back on and getting my 1RMs back up to where they were pre cut and pre meet. PRs are as follows:
Squat (meet/gym): 525@220/545,
Bench (meet/gym): 355@220/385,
Deadlift: 575@220, that is an all time PR. All were done in the same meet in Nov 2007. I would post strongman PRs but there are too many odd implements the only one that can be readily measured is a Max stone of 340 to 48".

I have a youtube account named Reko34 that has mostly training and meet videos of myself and a few other guys I lift with. Speaking of which, I am a member of 1-0-7 Barbell in Kansas City, MO, of which Ben Moore (LW ASC Pro strongman), Will Noble, and Sean Hatley are also members of. The guys are fantastic and can't imagine having a better group of guys to lift with. We trained out of Ben's basement and garage, but are currently in the process of moving to a warehouse facility that some guys rented to start a gym. We are going to move our equipment there to help them out and they are helping us out by providing a place to train. I will try to get the KC ABC crew out there to break it in and maybe try their hands at some strongman implements if they like. Anyway, I'll start with last nights uneventful workout as we had to hit up the YMCA and they closed before we could really get going:

ME Lower:
box squats with blue bands at the Y. bands looped under a big rack like you are supposed to. Tons tension. ~ 230 at the top of the lift
up to 455 x1. box was a little high because sean doesn't want to do low box (hes taller than the rest of us). it was also done to an aerobic step box so, yea...
pin pulls from just below the knee: up to 550 x1. ... then the Y closed.

Current BW: 215.

J Wong
07-23-08, 1:39 am
You'll get it, keep training hard, 1000 lbs on your back is one hell of a goal, and when you do it, it will be one hell of an accomplishment.

T o m m Y
07-23-08, 4:39 am
Nice Box Squating Brotha

Maharg
07-23-08, 10:35 am
Subbed, can't wait to make it up there for the ABC bro. Gonna have to try my hands at those Atlas stones of yours.

Giant Killer
07-23-08, 6:51 pm
Subbed, hit it hard brother.

Reko
07-23-08, 10:33 pm
Thanks for the pops guys. Lookin forwards to hitting up an ABC event with you guys sometime. I'll keep everyone posted on how the gym is going. Last I heard they were pouring a new floor so once its cured and set well start moving everything in.

ME bench at the Y again
Bench with purple band run sleeve to sleeve under the bench.
worked up to and grinded out 275, which is pretty nice.

did some lat pull downs 4x10
helped out a cute girl and her friend figure out a squat machine (of all pieces there). Seemed friendly, failed to get her number. I need to re-figure out how to talk to girls. Maybe I should just say I'm in a relationship on facebook so they start all coming after me again. Yes, I will trick them.....
(hey, taken guys know exactly what I mean by that)

iso cable rows things. did the stack, got nothing, not sure I really like these.
cuban presses
cabel press downs
quick burst of DB hammer curls.
gym closed.

also managed to get my first popped blood vessel in my eye during bench today. I'm excited about that. Not the coolest looking but gotta start somewhere!

Giant Killer
07-23-08, 11:49 pm
also managed to get my first popped blood vessel in my eye during bench today. I'm excited about that. Not the coolest looking but gotta start somewhere!

Nice. Haha...careful with that Valsalva bro, might bust something else.

shizz702
07-24-08, 12:13 am
Lol the title had me there for a second! Looks like this is gonna be a great journey, count me in!

IRBS
07-24-08, 9:01 am
Nice work bro.

js71474
07-24-08, 9:07 am
1000 lbs is one hell of a goal on squats. I'm subbed cause i want to see you get it and I know you will. Been working hard so far, so keep up the good work bro!

Reko
07-24-08, 12:00 pm
Lol, yea its gonna be a fun one. Once I can get my weight back up and start to learn how to use gear I think I can hit it by the time I hit 30. 7 years and 450 pounds to go lol.

5 pounds per month..... one step at a time.

One of the guys I train with now just hit 925 in a meet, and has doubled 850 or so (all we can fit on the bar safely) in training, so needless to say I've got some good guidance coming my way.

Big Wides
07-24-08, 12:04 pm
soild ass work....think many of us here are gunning for that 1000lb squat one day

shizz702
07-24-08, 12:11 pm
You'll get it bro, all you have to do is persist until you do. Keep at it and one day 1,000 lbs will be yours!

Reko
07-25-08, 9:12 pm
Thats for the support brothers
RE lower:

oly squats up to 345x10, PR on weight and reps, w00t.
however, workout was all downhill from there as I must have good mornigns up most of those. My low back was fried and pissy the rest of the workout

dimel deads
225x20
245x13 (yea.......)
Back was done at that point so....

Abs
donkey calf raises (to give the low back a break)
then SLDLs up to 315x10.

everything was double overhand, no straps until 315x10 on sldls to get some grip/forarm work in too.

bw 216

Maharg
07-25-08, 9:35 pm
I was watching Ben's video on youtube, and i couldnt believe you two went out and did yoke runs with snow on the ground. And you didn't even have shirt on you crazy bastard!

Reko
07-25-08, 10:27 pm
I was watching Ben's video on youtube, and i couldnt believe you two went out and did yoke runs with snow on the ground. And you didn't even have shirt on you crazy bastard!

haha well we were pretty warm form doing the events so we figured why the heck not! He did one too but he didn't want his on camera :P

Maharg
07-25-08, 11:07 pm
Yea, after watching the videos of you guys training, i can't wait to make it up there.

By the way, could you give me that guys email address? He hasn't gotten back to me yet, and i was just gonna let him know i am not a run of the mill jackass.

Reko
07-25-08, 11:10 pm
Yea, after watching the videos of you guys training, i can't wait to make it up there.

By the way, could you give me that guys email address? He hasn't gotten back to me yet, and i was just gonna let him know i am not a run of the mill jackass.

If he gives me the ok to give you his email addy ill pass it, but I dont know if the one I have is much good as he hasn't gotten back to me yet either :P. I'll give him a call tomorrow since it is kind of late now and see what the deal is.

http://sostrength.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4623&start=45

There are some pics of the place, along with his 905 trap bar pull from 16" or something like that.

Maharg
07-25-08, 11:11 pm
If he gives me the ok to give you his email addy ill pass it, but I dont know if the one I have is much good as he hasn't gotten back to me yet either :P. I'll give him a call tomorrow since it is kind of late now and see what the deal is.

No worries.

Reko
07-25-08, 11:16 pm
Damn you reply quick! In the time it took me to edit you already jumped in there, haha.

Maharg
07-25-08, 11:25 pm
Damn you reply quick! In the time it took me to edit you already jumped in there, haha.

I got skillz. An not much else to do.

Maharg
07-25-08, 11:34 pm
That Warehouse gym is prolly one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen. Is that the one you guys will be using, or another gym?

Reko
07-25-08, 11:35 pm
that is the one in springfield that you will be using :)

I don't have any pics of the one up in KC yet, hell I haven't even been to the new place. Ben and Will (the other big guy) went and checked it out and Ben was talking to the guys who ended up getting it. We've been doing a lot of public gym training lately so its been pretty lame but once we get everything set up ill be sure to snap a few pics and post them up here.

Maharg
07-25-08, 11:39 pm
that is the one in springfield that you will be using :)

I don't have any pics of the one up in KC yet, hell I haven't even been to the new place. Ben and Will (the other big guy) went and checked it out and Ben was talking to the guys who ended up getting it. We've been doing a lot of public gym training lately so its been pretty lame but once we get everything set up ill be sure to snap a few pics and post them up here.

No freaking way. I have drove past the place hundreds of times, but never would have thought that was inside.

Once you guys get set up I figure you guys will go back to blaring loud music and everything. You know where some bad ass places are man.

Reko
07-25-08, 11:45 pm
yea they just got it and are on the second floor i think. anyway, i think i have trained at 6 different gyms like that (home gyms or warehouse gyms) in KC and Springfield. 2 in Springfield combined forces to make that warehouse you just saw. to top that off I know at least 2 more in the area I could hit up if need be. You just have to go to meets and talk to people and then you are set.

the underground gyms are where 99% of the strong ass mofos are man. special equipment meant to hold serious weight, loud music, lots of yelling, chalk ammonia the works. all i woudl recommend if you go out there often is just offer to help chip in with new equipment or rent or something. They are all real good guys (I know/trained with William, Derek, Johhny and MAtt) and know a lot about strength. They will take care of you for sure.

Maharg
07-25-08, 11:52 pm
yea they just got it and are on the second floor i think. anyway, i think i have trained at 6 different gyms like that (home gyms or warehouse gyms) in KC and Springfield. 2 in Springfield combined forces to make that warehouse you just saw. to top that off I know at least 2 more in the area I could hit up if need be. You just have to go to meets and talk to people and then you are set.

the underground gyms are where 99% of the strong ass mofos are man. special equipment meant to hold serious weight, loud music, lots of yelling, chalk ammonia the works. all i woudl recommend if you go out there often is just offer to help chip in with new equipment or rent or something. They are all real good guys (I know/trained with William, Derek, Johhny and MAtt) and know a lot about strength. They will take care of you for sure.

Yea, i am willing to pay some fees for equipment and everything. They looked like some big dude's in their.

Reko
07-25-08, 11:55 pm
Lol, I see you are taking matters into your own hands. He seems to be posting again so you should get something from him directly now. If not just keep reminding me as I tend to forget things and ill get ahold of someone eventually.

Maharg
07-26-08, 12:00 am
Lol, I see you are taking matters into your own hands. He seems to be posting again so you should get something from him directly now. If not just keep reminding me as I tend to forget things and ill get ahold of someone eventually.

I figured it couldn't hurt. Besides, i had to login to see the pics anyways.

Reko
07-26-08, 12:01 am
Gotcha. Cutting out the middleman will jsut make the process go faster anyway. Hell maybe you can get something going tomorrow or sunday?

I'm off hopefully you hear back form them.

Reko
07-27-08, 3:17 pm
re upper
bench 235 3x8
better than last week I guess.

DB bench 75 2x10
iso low row lots of sets didnt get much out of this
t-bar chest supported row, same as above
face pulls
90 degree bar tricep press downs

BW. 209, WOAH wtf happened?

short term goals:
get used to handling heavier weight again (mainly bench, but DLs too - for seems off for some reason)
get weight back up
bulk back up a bit
get back into a routine with familiar equipment at the new gym whenever it gets set up.

Reko
07-28-08, 10:29 pm
Allright, as of right now, I am back up to 220, no more excuses, time to SFW!
I got some protein ordered to my work, the same kind I used when I went from 165/170 to 210 over the course of a summer. Lets see what we can make of the little guy shall we?

Reko
07-29-08, 8:05 pm
Squatting tonight should be fun. I have a sweet sodium bloat going on right now thanks to the many gallons of gatorade I've drank in the past few day, I feel like the king of ILS haha. I feel big, thick and strong.

Maharg
07-29-08, 10:04 pm
Squatting tonight should be fun. I have a sweet sodium bloat going on right now thanks to the many gallons of gatorade I've drank in the past few day, I feel like the king of ILS haha. I feel big, thick and strong.

How did squatting go man?

Reko
07-30-08, 12:55 am
good day today.
ME lower

Squats. up to 495x1 SUPER easy. Went for a pr attempt at 555. Got is real easy as well, but unfortunately I cut it a little high I think. When the video gets posted you will see it wasn't hard at all. Decided to go for 585 (6 plates). Got my ass kicked by the whip and didn't have good control of the weight on the way down.
Another day, better environment and bar, this weight will fly.

Deficit pulls, up to a tough but not too bad 495, had mega round on the back.

bent rows 225x8x3
Abs
Calves
side bends
hypers.

Reko
07-30-08, 1:00 am
How did squatting go man?

I went real well. Everything felt light and easy (hell I went for a 50 pound PR). I'll get the videos posted whenever Ben uploads them. But public gym bars man... those are something alright. No substitute for a good power bar when you've got some weight on your back that's for sure.

the 585 wasn't very close, my hips shot out and I didn't have good control of the weight on the way down like i did for the 555. But, the way 555 felt I know I had that 30 pounds of strength. I'll get it plus a little more next time. maybe I'll throw some 2's on there :)

I think my sweet sodium bloat helped out a bit today. Gotta give props to Matt Rhodes on the pointer to drink tons of gatorade every day.

Reko
07-30-08, 9:46 pm
ME upper

floor press. up to 315x1. Just shy of a PR but again, progress is progress.
3 boards
up to 315 x3 easy, then hit 345 x2 and maybe got a 3rd, not sure if Ben helped or not. This is a PR!! (340 for 2 or 335 for 3, so regardless).

w00t.

3x8 pull ups with varying grips

some exercises that involves more band tension that i needed where i flapped my arms like a bird. tricep band pressdowns with monster mini. 100 reps over 5 or 6 sets, each one super setted with one arm iso pull downs. Unlike last upper body day these were actually worth a damn.

good day.

Maharg
07-30-08, 9:56 pm
Id be happy with 315. Thats just me though.

Reko
07-30-08, 10:54 pm
Well, im happy for now, considering it was better than last week. My PR on floor press is 335 and also 315 + 80 pounds of chain, so i have some catching up to do though.

Maharg
07-30-08, 11:05 pm
Well, im happy for now, considering it was better than last week. My PR on floor press is 335 and also 315 + 80 pounds of chain, so i have some catching up to do though.

Thats alot of chain. Do you ever do dropsets with the chains?

Reko
07-30-08, 11:07 pm
Thats alot of chain. Do you ever do dropsets with the chains?

Like as in do the weight with chain then take it off with just regular weight? If so, we do something similar but with bands instead. On our speed bench days we do 8 sets of 3 with bands and then for the last set we take them off. Bar feels weightless lol.

Maharg
07-30-08, 11:10 pm
Like as in do the weight with chain then take it off with just regular weight? If so, we do something similar but with bands instead. On our speed bench days we do 8 sets of 3 with bands and then for the last set we take them off. Bar feels weightless lol.

Lol, i can just imagine. I meant just after hitting failure pulling the chains off and leaving the first weight on the bar. But bands are something else i am gonna look into, so i might ask for advice for those later on.

Reko
07-30-08, 11:23 pm
No problem. They are definitely something else. They have them at the gym in springfield, so if you want you can try your might with them when you meet up with those guys.

Reko
08-01-08, 7:27 pm
squats from the other day 555 (a little high i think, bad angle... thanks sean) then 585 miss but I will hit both to good depth next time. Like I said, I didn't control the 585 well on the way down and the 555 was just high but easy as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl-kOggX50k

Young&Hungry
08-01-08, 7:47 pm
Really good looking log here brother. About your squats, 585 was less than an inch high and that's some pretty fantastic raw squatting, great job. 555 was at a bad angle, I got my PR squat on two seperate films and I took one at the same angle you had your camera and mine looks like sky high, and on the other angle I sunk it well. Try to sit back a bit more because you nosedived just a bit more than you sat back. I had the same problem as you did with not controlling my squats well and I've totally solved that problem by going beltless on my squatting for a while. Even if you're gonna throw some gear on, remain beltless for a few weeks and tell me you don't feel the difference when you put the belt back on. This works especially well when using moderate band/chain tension.

You're a strong and intelligent powerlifter who knows their shit well, consider me in bro.

Reko
08-01-08, 8:40 pm
Thanks for the words man. I think this was more the bar just being at its limit more or less. I am fortunate enough to train at an awesome facility, however we are inbetween moves (goign from a basement/garage gym to a warehouse space) so we have been going to places like YMCas and 24 hour fitnesses, so, needless to say a whippy bar doesn't make a PR attempt any easier. I think it could have also been over confidence with how easy that 555 was (depth or not I am confident I can hit that right now if i had to) to not stay as tight as I needed to and, well we saw what happened.

Excuses aside, I do my oly and front squats (when I do fronts) raw, no belt no nothing and have been bringing back my abs and low back strength back up. I strained my low back about 2 months ago training for a strongman comp and DLing, abs, and well most low back stuff was out of the question, so once I can bring that back up to speed we can hopefully see a 600 squat and a 600 DL. I've been chasing that one far too long.

And yes, my abs do need some work lol.

Maharg
08-01-08, 9:50 pm
squats from the other day 555 (a little high i think, bad angle... thanks sean) then 585 miss but I will hit both to good depth next time. Like I said, I didn't control the 585 well on the way down and the 555 was just high but easy as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl-kOggX50k

Both the squats looked great, just a little fine tuning to get them right.

Reko
08-02-08, 3:26 pm
Thanks guys

random lower stuff today.
front squats up to 275x3, cross grip.
SLDL
315x8x2

Abs:
sit ups SS with ab crunch machine 3 sets, less than 30 s in between

light day today. Wanted to go yesterday but work was crazy and had to stay late. Wound up "taking a nap" at 7 when I got home, and, well, woke up at 9.... this morning. Still feel blah from it too.

Hola Bola
08-02-08, 9:15 pm
Nice work in here bro... 1,000lb squat is no joke!

Just an FYI, the KC ABC is meeting next Saturday at the Gold's in Lee's Summit. Check the KC thread for detaisl... hope you can make it!

js71474
08-02-08, 9:19 pm
Making great strides to that 1000 goal bro! Keep up the good work!

Reko
08-03-08, 2:02 am
Nice work in here bro... 1,000lb squat is no joke!

Just an FYI, the KC ABC is meeting next Saturday at the Gold's in Lee's Summit. Check the KC thread for detaisl... hope you can make it!

Making great strides to that 1000 goal bro! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for stopping by guys. I know Ive got several years to go, but hey, gotta have goals right?
Hola - I'll make it out for one sometime for sure. Hell maybe I'll be able to out one together up north and let some Animals try their hand at strongman events.

Hola Bola
08-03-08, 11:36 am
Thanks for stopping by guys. I know Ive got several years to go, but hey, gotta have goals right?
Hola - I'll make it out for one sometime for sure. Hell maybe I'll be able to out one together up north and let some Animals try their hand at strongman events.

Sounds good man. We could have the next ABC at the your warehouse gym downtown.

Reko
08-03-08, 6:24 pm
RE upper
flat bench 245x8x3 - still making weekly progress, this is good.
DB flat bench 75x10x2
JM presses barx10, 65x10, 65x10. (whoops, wrong order, oh well)
pull ups BWx7x4 (bodyweight is getting up there lol)

face pulls SS with teter band face pulls 3 sets
some curls
bw 223.

shizz702
08-03-08, 7:37 pm
Very nice work you are putting in here bro. Those squats looked pretty damn good considering the weight you had on there! Keep it up man!

Reko
08-03-08, 8:33 pm
Man, got some Midwestern Animals, some New England Animals, and even some Las Vegas Animals in here! Didn't know these forums were that big! Thanks for following guys. Any tips or pointers that anyone notices in the videos I post, please feel free to send them my way!

Reko
08-03-08, 8:34 pm
Oh yea, did 45 mins of walking before the workout today, forgot to include that.

Maharg
08-03-08, 8:35 pm
Man, got some Midwestern Animals, some New England Animals, and even some Las Vegas Animals in here! Didn't know these forums were that big! Thanks for following guys. Any tips or pointers that anyone notices in the videos I post, please feel free to send them my way!

We are international bro. Sout america, England, Scotland, Ireland, most anywhere we have a few boys and girls to rep.

Reko
08-03-08, 9:36 pm
We are international bro. Sout america, England, Scotland, Ireland, most anywhere we have a few boys and girls to rep.

Thats awesome. Nothing like that to spread the knowledge of iron around the globe. A nice mixing of all different styles no doubt.

Maharg
08-03-08, 10:12 pm
Thats awesome. Nothing like that to spread the knowledge of iron around the globe. A nice mixing of all different styles no doubt.

Only thing we don't have to a pro level is a Strongman. Met-Rx picks up all the strongmen, but we have tons of Pro Powerlifters.

Reko
08-03-08, 10:31 pm
Only thing we don't have to a pro level is a Strongman. Met-Rx picks up all the strongmen, but we have tons of Pro Powerlifters.

Well, You've got one in springfield to train under and I am under one up in KC as well (and have access to 2 more in the area), so maybe we can put something together :)

Reko
08-03-08, 10:33 pm
And even withing BB and PL, there are so many different ways people train that so much can be learned fro mall the different styles. I think its awesome.

Maharg
08-03-08, 11:25 pm
And even withing BB and PL, there are so many different ways people train that so much can be learned fro mall the different styles. I think its awesome.

I agree. Some of the Westside guys are now doing Olympic lifting with it, Olympic lifters doing bodybuilding, its all starting to blend. Alot of the guys who started on here were bodybuilders, then moved on to powerlifting. Look up IRBS and branndona.

Reko
08-04-08, 9:31 pm
deload day for ME squats.

Oly squats, raw, up to 315x20 (yes, 20 - its Jesse Marunde Tribute day). That is a PR of epic proportions as well.

Everything from here on out was done in flip flops (seriously)

rack pulls about 3/4 up the shin. to 495 x 5 pretty easy.
DB rows 100x10x3
calvs
BW hypers
sit up abs throwing a med ball.

I feel like a man after those squats. A queasy stomached, jello legged man. Ah well, time for titties, wings and beer @ hooters. bw 226 at work, in full work clothes.

Maharg
08-04-08, 9:33 pm
deload day for ME squats.

Oly squats, raw, up to 315x20 (yes, 20 - its Jesse Marunde Tribute day). That is a PR of epic proportions as well.
rack pulls about 3/4 up the shin. to 495 x 5 pretty easy.
DB rows 100x10x3
calvs
BW hypers
sit up abs throwing a med ball.

I feel like a man after those squats. A queasy stomached, jello legged man. Ah well, time for titties, wings and beer @ hooters. bw 226 at work, in full work clothes.

I hear its shooters night at hooters. Or is it hooters night at shooters? Nice work on the Squats, 20 reps always suck some major wind, and major ass.

shizz702
08-04-08, 9:44 pm
315x20! Fuck bro! Man I have a lot of respect for you for that one! I remember Marunde's 405x20, shit you aren't to far from that!

Reko
08-06-08, 12:39 am
LOL, believe me guys, I am just as shocked as anyone I got those. I had intended 10 or so and they just kept going.

GPP day today as we moved a ton of stuff out of Ben's basement (pretty much everything except the rack, which is already out). Took it up a u-turn landing for his steps, out the front door and into his garage, where it will stay until we get it in the moving truck thursday and then over to the new gym.

That and I am going to take a stab at that hooters chick form the other night. She was giving up her other tables just to sit with us, was plenty of contact under the table (nothing inappropriate), and then she randomly started groping my chest when i was in a conversation with someone else.... I mean, I know they flirt for tips but.... serious?

Reko
08-07-08, 1:34 am
As of right now, this very second, I am 230, on MY scale (as opposed to Ben's).

PR

EPIC WIN

Reko
08-07-08, 8:59 am
How the heck do I gain 20 pounds and my hips measurement goes down?

Funny though, she measured my arm and went to put it in and saw the measurement from about a month ago (when I was 206) and remeasured and said something along the lines of "woaah, you've really been hitting the weights."
lol
I refrained from any sarcastic remarks.
Body fat - 30 percentile (20%)
Waist cirumference - upper end of "low risk" category.
VO2 - below the 10th percentile... again. I swear that is a jacked up measurement. I can't believe I am THAT out of shape. I am in the 10-20 percentile for 60 year old males. WTF?
But I have gained LBM since the last time I was this weight, so that is good, I am going back to have the girl who measured me the last few times do it agian since this girl was different and my thigh was the second fattest part of me apparently.

Fun (or depressing) times.

Reko
08-08-08, 12:36 am
ok went back and got the girl who did it last time and she got me at 16.9%. Ill take that haha.

shizz702
08-08-08, 12:40 am
ok went back and got the girl who did it last time and she got me at 16.9%. Ill take that haha.

Haha I hear that bro! As long as you aren't obese, strong as fuck, and getting stronger it's all good lol!

Reko
08-08-08, 9:35 am
Haha I hear that bro! As long as you aren't obese, strong as fuck, and getting stronger it's all good lol!

And really, who am I to argue with science haha!
Last couple days we have moved it into the new gym. It isn't open to general public or to something like an ABC event yet, but he should have it in september sometime. We have everything there except our rack which we still need to get from Salina. Last night we stayed there from like 5-midnight moving and setting everything up. Thankfully we had help in the moving part so we got to take a break to get pizza and beer for the setting up part. Needless to say, we wanted to try it out. And that takes us to this morning......

Friday at 5:30 AM (whoever invented AM should be aborted from history).
Speed bench straight weight
135x3x8.

Neutral grip pull downs 3 sets
rope press downs 3 sets I think
strict press 135x6x3
seated DB cleans 20 x8x3 (ouch)
tire drag forward SS with tire drag backwards SS with savagely beating the tire with a sledgehammer x3

Went to work at the wellness center, and since I had some time to kill:
pull ups x6x2
DB hammer curls. did some drop sets and had trouble adjusting the collar on my shirt. Oh yea good times. Probably more from lack of flexibility than size, but shhhhhh lol.
BW 222... at least I had it for a day. I found my camera cables so I can prove it haha. I'll have pics up later tonight or tomorrow. They are still doing work on the place, and only our stuff plus what they bought fomr us are there, so it looks pretty empty but it will be nice to get everythign going. Its in the basement of a haunted house/warehouse combo. We go in through heavy locked doors, enter a code for the security system, go down some steps to open up another heavy locked door, and then we lift in a dungeon of a gym. I mean think some of those animal ads you see, seriously. We even have a random bat or two flying around in it from time to time. Scares the crap out of us which is funny but still awesome.

Reko
08-09-08, 1:10 am
pics of the new place so far

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1979046&postcount=40

Reko
08-10-08, 11:15 pm
conditioning day at 1-0-7 barbell, in the Belly of the Beast (there is a large sign on the building that says "The Beast" which is a haunted house, and we train in the basement, so its only appropriate).

6 sets of:
sledge hammer to a tire 5 reps right, 5 left, 5 center,
SS with
prowler
SS with
sledge hammer again
SS with
intentionally slow drawn out sled drags.

the video cut out, but it was all one set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEkpuB5kaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZSIUixWJ0&feature=user

Reko
08-12-08, 8:01 am
ME squats today
low box up to 565 for either a PR or ties a PR, but I am pretty sure it is a PR overall. IT was definately a much faster PR than the last time I hit a PR so there is still a little left in the tank.

hodge podge accessory work consisting of a few sets each of the following:
light good morning
light GHRs
BW hypers
Ab pull downs.

Reko
08-12-08, 12:22 pm
Well, turns out that isn't quite a PR technically. went back in my log and saw I hit this weight on 4/10/08. However, This rep was faster and didn't have a slight double clutch like the last one did (got a little squirrely with it) and the spotters hands came on as a precaution. nO help, but sometimes that little touch goes a long way. This time there was none of that so its a better rep of the same weight.

Good enough for me.

Reko
08-13-08, 7:39 am
up to 315 not too bad, progress is good guess the rep work has been paying off in getting me back up. Not a PR or tie of a PR, but still nice to get again.
3 board - 365x1
Lat pull downs SS with DB cuban presses x4 sets
DB tate presses SS with hammer curls x3 sets
lateral raises.

done.

Maharg
08-13-08, 10:43 am
Just getting back to where you were takes time, and it seems like you are fairly flying back.

Reko
08-13-08, 12:43 pm
Yup, squats are back, bench is almost there, but I am really not looking forward to seeing where my DL is at. Oh well, I did something like this every winter when hockey rolled around and I couldn't lift as much so it will just be one of those things.

Plus gaining weight helps, I was 225 in the morning which might very well be a PR at 5 am ahahah.

Maharg
08-13-08, 12:48 pm
Deadlifts seem to be the lift that suffers the most if you put it off for any length of time. I have that same problem.

Reko
08-13-08, 3:30 pm
I'm real temped to just go train on my own tomorrow morning to see where its at, or maybe friday morning. The drive to STL after work though will suck balls.

Maharg
08-13-08, 3:34 pm
I'm real temped to just go train on my own tomorrow morning to see where its at, or maybe friday morning. The drive to STL after work though will suck balls.

Damn you live in KC but go to train in STL? Ouch!

Reko
08-13-08, 8:19 pm
LOL, no im going there for the weekend. It's where I'm from so I stay at my parent's place. I was going in for my sis's birthday, but they all decided to go to alaska for a trip so its just me and my little bro, then the rest of the family joins on sunday evening.

The gym is in downtown KC, since I go when there is no traffic, its about 10-15 mins away.

Reko
08-15-08, 7:56 am
DE lower
low box with green bands - 225x8x2 speed was good
speed pulls 325 + 80 pounds chain speed was ok, not blistering fast, not slow either.

sled drag 75x2 SS with light fitre flip. Did 3 sets with short rest in between and had to hurry to get the work. Thats probably the downside to training in the mornings, having to rush to work. But, every other week will be like this as i alternate stats at 7 and 830, so next week I'll have time to finish everything.

Reko
08-18-08, 5:56 pm
RE upper in good old public gym.
flat bench up to 225x4, then 275x10.... sweet!
BB rows 245x8x2
pull downs
skipped triceps, they werent feeling well at this point
curls
foam rolling on old crappy foam.
224 BW.

Reko
08-19-08, 7:16 pm
Conditioning day
same deal as before, 5 hits 3 different ways to the tire, then prowler, then tire again, then sled drag. Did that I think 6 trips, varrying the tire hits halfway through

sideways sled drags, rows ss w/presses, then curls ss/OH extentions with the sled.
mesothelioma x3 pr.

Reko
08-20-08, 1:27 pm
ME bench
up to 315x1 easy, then 340x1 for a 5 pound PR (go 2.5s!!!). Wasn't easy but wasn't an extreme grinder. Good spot to end the bench.

Shrugs :) (aka, lifting off for 4 pretty strong guys in their shirts lol. Me and another guy were the only ones going raw today, he came in and rescued me towards the end)

3 boards
+~80 #chain
225x3 (i think that was the weight)
315x3

lat pull down, 3 or 4 sets
face pulls 3 sets
teter band pulls SS teter band pulls SS lateral raises for 2 sets (I did 2 of the same jsut to switch the band up to keep it even for both sides)

Reko
08-21-08, 11:04 pm
Had some new guys come out for the bench session and they may be permanently joining us. One even offered to straight up buy a bench (as opposed to benching in the power rack all the time) when he came out here. Can't beat that!

Maharg
08-21-08, 11:08 pm
Had some new guys come out for the bench session and they may be permanently joining us. One even offered to straight up buy a bench (as opposed to benching in the power rack all the time) when he came out here. Can't beat that!

Well hell yea! just hope he doesnt buy some weider bench from walmart.

Reko
08-21-08, 11:18 pm
hes in his 60s and is benching around 500 or so, I think hell get something pretty nice lol.

Maharg
08-21-08, 11:26 pm
hes in his 60s and is benching around 500 or so, I think hell get something pretty nice lol.

Hooray for crazy strong old guys!

Reko
08-22-08, 8:54 am
This is also the guy I saw drop something along those lines on his chest in a bench only meet last november too. Got up, took a breather then took his next attempt!

DE lower
225 + blue bands 8x2, 1 set without the bands, never again lol. I probably looked drunk.
speed pulls, 275 + quad minis, yuck.

circuit of GHR x8, seated box plyo jumps to a sweet set up see below, sled drag 75x2, and abs.
did 3 sets of that I think, was tinkering with the height of the plyo jump a little and did another set or two of that.

Original set up:
2 smaller tires stacked on top of each other + +2 sheets plywood + 4 small incriments we use for box squatting + box we use to do box pulls off of. It started with just the plywood and tires, but then added to it.

Finished with 3 tires + 2 sheets plywood + the 4 incriments = 41". The box was a low box that I sat to. This feels low from a number standpoint, but I really have no idea what is good here or not.

BW hovering around 224 lately. Should make for an easy cut to 220 in nov. Also have a suit now from Sean, so time to make some numbers fall!

Reko
08-22-08, 7:34 pm
PM

And....
Had a shitty shitty day/week/month at work, so....
prowler suicide using the pillars in the gym empty x1. Will we don't need to do these . Ever.
sled drag 2 plates 75'

That conditioning deal we did a week ago or so, 5 hits each side and over head, push prowler with 2 plates for 75', then hit the tire again, then drag sled 2 plates 75'
Did 5 sets of that.
Prowler push 75'x1.

Reko
08-24-08, 5:41 pm
DE upper
speed bench 135 + dbl minis x2x8, 2 reps with each finger on the rings. Speed was solid.

no bands
225 for reps, got 20 (4 rep PR) and 15.

1 super set of BMWs and Pull aparts
Pull ups 3x8 felt easy
teter band pulls SS with teter band pulls 3 sets
Face pulls 3 sets
rear delt flyes things with DBs 3 sets

Great day.

Reko
08-24-08, 9:58 pm
First the lats swell.
Then the wrist
then the hands
then the fingers
then the traps
then the arms
everything else

That is the order of the bloat for me. Man I love mongolian BBQ buffets.

Reko
08-25-08, 8:56 am
ME squats
low box reverse band (dbl minis)
up to 515 belt briefs easy.
threw on suit bottoms, no wraps
got 605 to the box but I shouldn't have (aka i gave in the tightness and forced the touch). - walked out
605x2 no touch, better tightness - walked out
605x1 free (no depth though regardless) Good rep. This was done with ghetto monolift

Will do accessory in morning tomorrow.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 8:59 am
damn man thats some good box squats.. how bigs that box?

Reko
08-25-08, 11:47 am
Not sure, below parallel by an inch maybe. Once the suit went on only the first one made it to the box, and like I said it shouldn't have. Its my first time in a real suit (last/first was a canvas... yuck) so I'm breaking it in and learning it.

If I can have an ideal, peak, no injuries/setbacks, perfect training cycle, I think I may be able to get 700 in November fully geared up. That would be sweet.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 12:27 pm
Not sure, below parallel by an inch maybe. Once the suit went on only the first one made it to the box, and like I said it shouldn't have. Its my first time in a real suit (last/first was a canvas... yuck) so I'm breaking it in and learning it.

If I can have an ideal, peak, no injuries/setbacks, perfect training cycle, I think I may be able to get 700 in November fully geared up. That would be sweet.

what kind of suit ya got?? i have a Z suit by inzer, really basic, but its a good 1st suit and im soon to be to small for it :(

Reko
08-25-08, 6:30 pm
Its a metal v-type I think. single ply poly. It was a training partner's who I guess either stretched it out or ordered a wrong size and it wound up fitting me decently. Straps are a little long but not terrible.
I have under it old old frantz dbl ply poly breifs that I wear for all squatting that isn't oly or fronts.

should be fun times.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 6:31 pm
after i get down quite a bit im gonna get me some metal gear.. hear its some of the best!

Reko
08-25-08, 7:08 pm
Oh it is allright, gotta be strong as hell though if you get a fitting kind, especially if you go metal/metal on the briefs and suit.
pro/pro, pro/ace, ace/pro, ace/ace combo and we are talking 1,000 to get parallel. Seriously.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 7:17 pm
Oh it is allright, gotta be strong as hell though if you get a fitting kind, especially if you go metal/metal on the briefs and suit.
pro/pro, pro/ace, ace/pro, ace/ace combo and we are talking 1,000 to get parallel. Seriously.

i want the ace pro or the Vtype... as for briefs i still have my inzer HD briefs.. they will fit me for awhile.. i may get a inzer hardcore in the mean time until i get some BIIG numbers... like a 600-650 raw/ wth briefs.. dunno yet, got plenty of time ti figure it out.... but i do believe i will get some metal wraps.... :)

Reko
08-25-08, 8:10 pm
APT's black reapers are pretty comparable to the all black metal wraps. I have used both and for the price, I would have to say apt wins (they are like half the cost). The metals stretch just a little bit more I think, but Both are very solid.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 8:19 pm
APT's black reapers are pretty comparable to the all black metal wraps. I have used both and for the price, I would have to say apt wins (they are like half the cost). The metals stretch just a little bit more I think, but Both are very solid.

ive looked at the APT ones, sam byrd uses them.. and well hes a beast.. heard the black mambas are great stuff....

Maharg
08-25-08, 8:31 pm
http://www.prowriststraps.com/the_wrap_apt_wrist_wraps_powerlifting

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 8:33 pm
http://www.prowriststraps.com/the_wrap_apt_wrist_wraps_powerlifting

been there done that.. JACKASS!! lol...

Maharg
08-25-08, 8:36 pm
been there done that.. JACKASS!! lol...

Reko might not have seen them. I know i showed them to your jackass self. Jackass.

Reko
08-25-08, 8:36 pm
Have you guys tried those things?
Fucking ridiculous
We've got a pair of those in wrist wraps and they are sick. Its stiffer than a cast lol.

btw - im not a ban of the mambas really, but to each their own. black reapers are it for me for knee wraps, and convict pros for wrist wraps.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 8:37 pm
Have you guys tried those things?
Fucking ridiculous
We've got a pair of those in wrist wraps and they are sick. Its stiffer than a cast lol.

btw - im not a ban of the mambas really, but to each their own. black reapers are it for me for knee wraps, and convict pros for wrist wraps.

lol well im using the inzer 3 stripe wraps right now.. pretty good wraps, but im really lookin for something with some extra "pop" from the hole

Reko
08-25-08, 9:47 pm
the black one with red stripes? The Z-wrap I think?

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 9:49 pm
the black one with red stripes? The Z-wrap I think?

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WRAPS_IRONZ

Reko
08-25-08, 10:03 pm
I used to use those, they were my first wrap. One of my training partners is sponsored by APT (I'm working on my own sponsorship, so far nothing though but I'm gonna keep trying), so get to try out a lot of their wraps.

My fav by far is the black reaper that I mentioned above.

http://prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/81028

2.5M for a wrap up, criss cross then twice more to seal the deal.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 10:07 pm
I used to use those, they were my first wrap. One of my training partners is sponsored by APT (I'm working on my own sponsorship, so far nothing though but I'm gonna keep trying), so get to try out a lot of their wraps.

My fav by far is the black reaper that I mentioned above.

http://prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/81028

2.5M for a wrap up, criss cross then twice more to seal the deal.

how do you go about getting a sponsorship??

i go for start at the top of the knee, then go to below the knee the usually 2wraps around the kneecap... 2M for me.. im thinking about a 2.5, but some feds dont allow them.. at least i think so..

havent tried the crisscross yet, dont have anyone near to teach me new things, i figured most of this shit out by myself....

Reko
08-25-08, 10:21 pm
how do you go about getting a sponsorship??

i go for start at the top of the knee, then go to below the knee the usually 2wraps around the kneecap... 2M for me.. im thinking about a 2.5, but some feds dont allow them.. at least i think so..

havent tried the crisscross yet, dont have anyone near to teach me new things, i figured most of this shit out by myself....

unless you have small knees, you might need a 2.5m to do a criss cross. I can do it with the 2m inzers, but I have to do the criss cross first, then work my way up or down (can't remember) with the remaining wrap. Most fed are cool with 2.5 unless you are in one of the odd uber strict ones. There are many feds to choose from so I guess it depends on your area and what is popular there. I live in KC so there are plenty of options with a reasonable drive if necessary.

different styles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfruLGBv-0

That criss cross is almost identical to how I do it, I jsut start from the bottom since I don't do that bow tie stuff(waste of material if you ask me). Start at the bottom, 4 wraps up, criss cross, then about 2 at the top then a tuck. I can probably get 3 if I really crank them down, which I will as this training cycle starts to get ramped up and close to the meet. But, cranking them down will get you some crazy pop. It will take some getting used to, esp if you do one of the stiffer wraps but once you get used to it its lovely.

As far as sponsors go, they have a form you fill out online. He got his before that and he shot him an email. He is also a pro strongman and an elite level PLer so that has something to do with it too lol. I haven't been denied yet, but I haven't been accepted either (keeps fingers crossed). It's been a few months so well see.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-25-08, 10:29 pm
perhaps i need to get some 2.5s and check out some crisscross action..... hmmmm maybe after i get more money

Themostocles
08-26-08, 6:02 am
You going to be doing the APA meet they got coming up in October, atleast I think thats when it is? -T.

Reko
08-26-08, 8:19 am
You going to be doing the APA meet they got coming up in October, atleast I think thats when it is? -T.

I believe its November 8th. The one in blue springs. I don't think it has been "officially" announced, but word on the KC board is that it is happening at that time. But yes I plan on doing it barring any injury of family catastrophe.

I got to watch the vide o on ben's camera of my squat. Wasn't as high as I thought it was and it came back up pretty fast. I may have had my knees go forward a bit, hard to tell from the angle but not bad I don't think.

This morning:
"accessory"
Felt like crap this morning (its a teusday...) so accessory work consisted of:
Sled drags, 1 trip = ~75 feetx2, one backwards one forwards
2 plates
3 plates
4 plates
5 plates
6 plates
7 plates
7 plates
Those last 2 where what we in the industry call "Character builders" lol.

abs stuff consisting of throwing a med ball into a concrete wall overhead. Not all that great at this time in the morning.

I feel better now though.
bw 227 gym clothes on the work scale. I blame.... no.... THANK The Khan for keeping me up there and not letting me slip back into 220 territory. Sean will probably lose weight since he knowingly denied The Khan, infact, he already did by getting mega runs. No one crosses GK. No one.

Themostocles
08-26-08, 8:29 am
I am going to be there. Here in about a month I am going to be training with Brandon Cass. I don't ever plan on competing, but I would really like to get myy numbers up there. -T.

mcbeast
08-26-08, 8:31 am
Good session,ive still got lots to learn about bands & such

Reko
08-26-08, 8:57 am
Cass is one strong dude. I competed agaisnt him last year in the 220s. Very big for that weight class too lol. IF i recall correctly he went something along the lines of 800/500/650.

mcbeast
08-26-08, 9:34 am
Sled pulling madness.Look forward to doing that kind of work,wethere my body is up to it or not.Needs to get done for the better good of this sport.

IRBS
08-26-08, 10:05 am
Sick work Reko.

js71474
08-26-08, 10:17 am
Just catching up, and you are putting in some killer work bro! Keep it up!

Reko
08-26-08, 12:51 pm
Just catching up, and you are putting in some killer work bro! Keep it up!

Sick work Reko.

Sled pulling madness.Look forward to doing that kind of work,wethere my body is up to it or not.Needs to get done for the better good of this sport.

Good session,ive still got lots to learn about bands & such

Thanks for the support fellas.

Not sure if i've posted these or not (or if its agaisnt the rules to post another thread I'll just post the post to be safe), but here is where I am training, and the equipment we have so far:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1979046&postcount=40
Sorry if thats already been posted, this log doubled in size over a few nights lol.

mcbeast
08-26-08, 12:54 pm
...Im in love! Is it cold&damp down there too?! =]

Out of curiosity,what do you all pay for that..?

Reko
08-26-08, 3:11 pm
...Im in love! Is it cold&damp down there too?! =]

Out of curiosity,what do you all pay for that..?

It is definately humid, but the temperature isn't bad. Judging by the relics in there (mainly, a mail box) it was a cremary at one point, and its stone solid walls lead me to believe it was once a very insulated, cold building. Weve been in there for about 2 weeks, and given the heat we have had (90s) its not bad down there at all, maybe hangs out around 80 or so my guess. Not bad at all. But with the humidity we all sweat like crazy more than we normally do lol.

I don't know what the guys renting it pay. They have other plans with it, liek a group training center or cross fit gym (they have been doing major work since those pictures, including better lighting, leveling out the floor, they are adding an office and I am not sure what all they have planned). They were cool enough to charge us 20 bucks/month each to use it and store our equipment there. We were looking at a place by the same company renting out warehouses and a place smaller than that was 500/mo, so if I had to guess, all together it would be 750 ish. Don't know what that includes for utilites though.

There are 4 of us, and we have added 2 more on our bench days so we are slowly growing and will probably add more lifters as word of mouth spreads around up north KC.

js71474
08-26-08, 3:40 pm
Killer training spot bro! I like it! A 20 spot a month ain't bad.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-26-08, 3:42 pm
that gym loks pretty sweet.. 20 aint bad at all.. i pay a bit more for mine.. and my gym isnt nearly as cool...

Reko
08-27-08, 9:08 am
Id rather pay 20 a month there than go to any other public gym and train for free.
Funny thing is, the public gyms are expensive, yet the home/private gyms are generally "free" (this is an exception since its not our place obviously), yet the "free" gyms are hands down the best places to get strong.

Speaking of strong... had an amazing day today

ME Bench. Went to bed at 6:45 last night (by mistake) and slep all the way to about 1:30am. Decided to keep the ball rolling and just go back to sleep. Therefor felt nice and refreshed this fine wednesday morning.

flat bench
w/u then 275 for easy 3
315 for really easy 2, kind of suprised too, felt like I could have cranked out 5+.
That being said decided it was time for...
350 x1 PR!
Came off chest pretty easy, hit a little pause at 3 board then got it from there. Same as last wee kas it wasn't a terrible PR grinder type lift. Felt good on the way down too. Think I've got this arch thing figured out.

3 boards:
365x2 (PR!!)
385x1 (PR!!)

When it rains it pours! I thought my PR was 365x2, but apparently that was my 4 board double. Must not have done these in forever since 335x3 and 365x2 are my PRs there for the 4 board, and were 335x2, 345x1 for the 3 board level lol.

Pull ups 3x8, 1x4 time to add weight methinks
mini band pressdowns, lots of sets of around 15. Didn't feel the need to do super heavy triceps today.
teter band pulls SS with DB hammer curls.

223 bw, that is even after skipping dinner last night since I went to bed so early. I'll make up for it today haha .
Never underestimate the power of Khan!

SQUAT or DIE!
08-27-08, 9:14 am
damn reko those are some great board presses...

Reko
08-29-08, 7:19 pm
last night:
DE bulking

Went to Khan. Closed it out there. We got a plate. Set the plate on the table, immediately made another plate to ensure we would be adequately served.

Went and got ice cream.

Then went to Hooters for wings.

That is a big "Shut the fuck up" to the little kiddies who say they eat "a lot" and "can't" gain.

This morning:
DE lower

225 + green band low box squatsx2x8
315 + 6 chain for 6 singles. Messed around with grip and rip form a little bit.

hypers SS GHR. done. 228 on the scale at work in the am, no breakfast yet :)

SQUAT or DIE!
08-29-08, 7:21 pm
sounds like a great diet!

wo looks good too

Reko
08-30-08, 12:16 am
PM workout: conditioning
same old tire hits (5 right, 5 left, 5 overhead) SS with 75' sled backwards SS with 75' sled forward SS with same tire hits.

Did the above with 2 plate
... 3 plates
... 4 "
... 5 "
... 6 "
... 7 "
felt good so...
... 6 plates
... 5 "
... 4 "
... 3 "
... 2 "

1 prowler suicide empty.

No such thing as over training, just under eating :)

SQUAT or DIE!
08-30-08, 12:19 am
crazy ass!

Maharg
08-30-08, 9:59 pm
PM workout: conditioning
same old tire hits (5 right, 5 left, 5 overhead) SS with 75' sled backwards SS with 75' sled forward SS with same tire hits.

Did the above with 2 plate
... 3 plates
... 4 "
... 5 "
... 6 "
... 7 "
felt good so...
... 6 plates
... 5 "
... 4 "
... 3 "
... 2 "

1 prowler suicide empty.

No such thing as over training, just under eating :)

Collapses from reading the sled drags.

Reko
08-31-08, 3:14 pm
605 (?) reverse mini squat from the other day, brifs and suit bottoms no straps/wraps. couldn't quite make depth but its training, first time in a suit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW09abt4xFs

The video says 515, and the weights look like 515, but I still swear it was 605 becuase I remember being asked if that was the most I had walked out (in a previous set when we didn't do the ghetto monolift).

who knows...

SQUAT or DIE!
08-31-08, 3:16 pm
bueno

Reko
08-31-08, 3:28 pm
time to get the busch lite out of my system while I do DE upper....

SQUAT or DIE!
08-31-08, 3:30 pm
time to get the busch lite out of my system while I do DE upper....

busch lite? have you no taste!!! lol lucky bastard, id kill someone for beer..

Reko
08-31-08, 5:24 pm
busch lite? have you no taste!!! lol lucky bastard, id kill someone for beer..

It was on sale at QT lol.

135 + dbl minis, alternating grips 8 sets of 2, one set without the bands for shits and grins

close grip bench up to 275x5 had a few more not bad. Gonna save the fireworks for Wednesday :)

pull ups
BWx8
+10 x8
+ 25x6
+ 25x6

Spider climb things with dbl mini around the wrist walking up and down the rack. 3 sets.

seated DB cleans SS with curls. 2 sets, light weight

tire hits, hard tire
10 each way (30 total) x2 sets.

Reko
08-31-08, 5:24 pm
605 (?) reverse mini squat from the other day, brifs and suit bottoms no straps/wraps. couldn't quite make depth but its training, first time in a suit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW09abt4xFs

The video says 515, and the weights look like 515, but I still swear it was 605 becuase I remember being asked if that was the most I had walked out (in a previous set when we didn't do the ghetto monolift).

who knows...

Edit, the weight (per ben) was actually 515, and we just didnt get the 605 attempts on tape but they were done just as clean, so that's cool.

SQUAT or DIE!
08-31-08, 5:25 pm
good wo man...

lol ok if it was on sale ill let it slide... i know how that is..

Reko
09-01-08, 5:54 pm
bw 223 :(

ME lower
low box up to 535. briefs wraps belt

added suits bottoms and free squatted:
535x2, depth was close, if not there

615x1 depth was a little high.

Felt kinda weak today. Last weeks was better I think but straps go up next week and I'll be fat again so yay!

GHR 2 sets bwx8, 2 sets with purple band x6,x8
hypers, bwx8x3
GHR abs some sets with weight some without.

lower volume day today. lack of energy, didnt really eat much today as i slept in. That could hav had something to do with it too. Have videos that I will post later.

SQUAT or DIE!
09-01-08, 5:56 pm
bw 223 :(

ME lower
low box up to 535. briefs wraps belt

added suits bottoms and free squatted:
535x2, depth was close, if not there

615x1 depth was a little high.

Felt kinda weak today. Last weeks was better I think but straps go up next week and I'll be fat again so yay!

GHR 2 sets bwx8, 2 sets with purple band x6,x8
hypers, bwx8x3
GHR abs some sets with weight some without.

lower volume day today. lack of energy, didnt really eat much today as i slept in. That could hav had something to do with it too. Have videos that I will post later.

BEAST!!!! dude i would be pumped to be 223 and squat what i do at 280.... and u got more than me..

Reko
09-01-08, 7:03 pm
535:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bMGgfxk0Y&feature=user

615 (might have been 625):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDILWyGtKug

SQUAT or DIE!
09-01-08, 7:42 pm
damn man thats impressive

Reko
09-03-08, 9:00 am
ME Bench
Was hitting some PRs lately on every thing so decided to take it 'easy' and not really go for a big 1RM or anything.
flat bench up to 315x5 that was cool. PR on reps for that weight.

pull ups bwx8x2, +25 x6x2

"bamboo" bench with 2 hanging 25s each side, and with a normal bar. 3 sets of that.
shrugs 225x20x2
BW blast strap rows SS with teter pulls (both ways)
band pull aparts

felt great once I got going, warm ups sucked though.
228 at the wellness center this fine wednesday morning.

Then proceded to get a 200 point infraction on another board... sigh :(

Reko
09-05-08, 8:16 am
DE lower
low box 225+ greens, 8x2, speed was good on all of them. Probably could have added weights or bands. All were done low bar, actually felt easier to go wider with it for some reason. Still wierd as hell.

box jumps to the tires like we had set up las ttime.
2 tires + board x2
3 tires + board 1xepic fail. I made it to the top of the board..... on my knees. My shins hate me. I am definately going to Khan this weekend with my dad.

Speed pulls 225 straight weight 4 or 5x2 with a reset and a re grip each time.
then did 295x2 easy
395x2 same way, speed decent (though out of the "speed" range it was feeling good and I haven't pulled super heavy in a while)
485x2 not bad, one normal style and the other grip and rip. Glad to know I can still get to 500 at least.

in lieu of direcxt ab work Sean wanted to do yokes so I compromised and did belt less yoke for 50 ft runs, going immediately after he went (so short rest times).
yoke + 1 pps 50'x3
yoke + 2 pps 50'x3

Will do more accessory work in the evening.

mcbeast
09-05-08, 8:43 am
Good stuff in here.Keep up the hard work.I like that bamboo benching.

Reko
09-06-08, 5:02 pm
de bench:
135 + dbl minis 8x3, 2 sets with each finger on the rings.
5 boards up to 405x4 PR and 455x1, kind of , PR I'm counting it. It was actually a set of 3 that I had help on on the first and last rep. Not usually how it works, but oh well lol.
chaos bench 3 sets of 4 25s hanging by quad minis
plyo jump, standing, made it to the height I missed badly the other day x1.
pull ups BW 4x8

teter band pulls both ways SS with band face pulls 2 sets of this super set
face pull from cable pull down SS with curls 2 sets there.

Good day today.

SQUAT or DIE!
09-06-08, 5:12 pm
de bench:
135 + dbl minis 8x3, 2 sets with each finger on the rings.
5 boards up to 405x4 PR and 455x1, kind of , PR I'm counting it. It was actually a set of 3 that I had help on on the first and last rep. Not usually how it works, but oh well lol.
chaos bench 3 sets of 4 25s hanging by quad minis
plyo jump, standing, made it to the height I missed badly the other day x1.
pull ups BW 4x8

teter band pulls both ways SS with band face pulls 2 sets of this super set
face pull from cable pull down SS with curls 2 sets there.

Good day today.

nice wo reko!

so you get the 2nd 455 but not the 1st or 3rd.. hmm

and what is chaos bench and teter ban pulls?

Reko
09-06-08, 7:06 pm
nice wo reko!

so you get the 2nd 455 but not the 1st or 3rd.. hmm

and what is chaos bench and teter ban pulls?

Yea, I touched pretty high on the ones I missed, that may have had something to do with it.

Chaos bench = this but without the bamboo of a bar, just a normal one. We hung 25 pound plates from quad minis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PloQn4SILGQ

Teter band pulls are something my chiro (Dr. teter) prescribed for my scapulae retractors :)
Basically, you loop mini bands or whatever type you want over the top of a rack, and then you pull like its a reverse bench press, as if you had to pull the bar to your chest, but with the bands instead. He gave it to me to help bring up a muscular imbalance, and that was about 75 pounds ago on my bench, so i figure it doesn't hurt to keep doing them.

Reko
09-08-08, 7:09 pm
ME lower this morning. Weighed in at 230.8 post workout (pre breakfast) due primarily to Khan last night. Since I did go to Khan, I was blessed with a PR.

Deadlifts, up to 405 no belt, very fast. In fact I was suprised as I usually put the belt on there but left it off today.
add belt
495x1 easy
585 x1 fairly easy. 10# pr here. Not easy as in super fast, but I'll post the video later.
easy enough though that I should have had:
610 x0
I just realized I mis added weight here. wanted 600, oh well. Still should have had it IMO. I will post video of that too. I think I just mis groved it (it was a little out in front of me) and my hips were higher than they should have been. Not upset at all though!

hypers
bw 3x10, +Valeo tanker with some water in it 2x8.
Calves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yDM5Foj73k

SQUAT or DIE!
09-08-08, 7:22 pm
i take it khans is a mongolian BBQ place??

great pulls too

Reko
09-08-08, 7:29 pm
i take it khans is a mongolian BBQ place??

great pulls too

Absolutely!

SQUAT or DIE!
09-08-08, 7:48 pm
Absolutely!

theres a place liek that where i used to live... AMAZING!!

Reko
09-08-08, 8:41 pm
theres a place liek that where i used to live... AMAZING!!

no joke, I hit 1-3 prs after every time i eat there... its magical!

Reko
09-10-08, 8:52 am
Epic win is all that can be used to describe this morning's bench. I am 100% confident is has to do with the Khan on sunday. I'm going to ask them about sponsorship next time I go.

Flat bench - didn't warm up to well this morning, might be a lesson learned as my rear delts and biceps (?) hate me right now.
bar x bunch with different grips
135 x8 or so
225x6
275x4
315x1
365x1 PR! I felt my lats being used in the bench today, which is a first. So all that using your lats thing finally clicked today, or at least a little bit. I also tucked incredibly hard with the elbows, that may have been part of it too (and why my shoulders hurt as well)

3-board:
365x3
405x1 PR! My 3 board is now higher than my 4 board! lol

In between those and after:
Pin pulls and shrugs x many of moderate to heavy weight. (aka lifting off for the shirted guys, including Ben lol).

Pullups bwx8x3... I think I am getting fat enough to the point I have to warm up for these haha. These didn't feel good for the rear delts at all.

So...
10 pound lateral raises x a bunch
mini band shoulder prehab.

Done. Felt beat up, will be deloading next week for sure.

Reko
09-11-08, 7:45 pm
Accessory/shoulder rehab day.

Any range of motion similar to a pull up hurt the rear delt/ something deep in my shoulder, so im going to try and do everything possible to stimulate it that doesn't cause pain. There fore;

band rotator cuff prehab SS with tire hits 5/5/5
band pull aparts SS with tire
teter bands pull SS with tire
rear delt flyes SS with tire
side lateral raises SS with tire
Front raises SS with tire
bar only benching, testing out good, tight form SS with tire
shoulder prehab SS with tire.

Home.
shoulders feel good and pumped, still hurts through that ROM but not as much, so I will probably just watch what I do until it is good to go, and be wiser about my warm ups.

Reko
09-12-08, 7:46 am
DE squats
low box 225 + blue strong bands. All done low bar
5 or 6 sets of 2 reps. These were really hard to get back in the rack due to hand placement issues, other wise they weren't an issue except for being akward with the low bar. Speed was very very good though. Probably could have added weight without a problem. All the weights were poppin at the top. Good stuff.

Low bar seems to be easier to get to the box as I can go wider more comfortably (shortening the range of motion) and sit back easier. Plus, it already feels like I am shortening the ROM as it is with the bar there too, so its a double whammy. ITs still akward as hell though at the top of the lift, especially the un rack. There jsut isn't a good spot for it to sit like my high bar

BW hypers 5 sets x10

~230. I'm going to take a break form the creatine and see what happens, unless a meet comes up in the short run then I will start it up again. I don't know if you have to take time off that or not but i figure it wont hurt to.

More accessory later when I have time. Got there on time for once but was moving pretty slow lol.

Reko
09-13-08, 3:36 pm
Man day today... first guns, then gym, then food at some point tonight. I might even shave.... nah!

DE Bench
165 x2x8 straight weight
Bent rows up to 245x8x3
power shrugs up to 405x8
JM presses
Curls.

Reko
09-16-08, 1:05 am
Low bar free squats with briefs.
up to 405x3,
add belt
495x2
add wraps
615x1 WHAT THE FUCK?!?! 60 pound pr? Something like that.

Add suit bottoms, ghetto monolift
665, couldn't budge it twice
615 couldn't budge it.

Gassed.
BW hypers
Abs on GHR.
bw 227ish.

Don't ask me to explain it because I can't. I guess leverages make that big of a difference.

Reko
09-21-08, 5:29 pm
"?de" bench
bar and 135 sets felt good, so I went heavy today.
185x5, 225x5, 275x1, 315x1x2. All sets had decent speed for their respective weight.
Light hammer curls as my forarms were beat up from a softball tournament

Went home. Felt like shit and wasn't feeling it. Plus training by yourself with the sound of nothing but fans doesn't really add to it. Just been one of those days.

Reko
09-24-08, 10:30 pm
monday:
sled

today:
(just to spite lane)
ME bench
raw flat up to 345x1 easy
add shirt
2 board 365x3
405 to a 2 board then full range in 1 set
425 miss.

had to go to work, am off for accessories now.
accessory work:
bent rows
up to 275x8,9, then 225x10

3 big o' sets of:
dbl mini bands (each hand) face pulls 15 reps
teter band pulls 20 reps
mini band press downs (moved back real far so they would work) 20 reps
push ups with the handles 15 reps

little o' set of
DB side lat raises
DB rear delt flyes.
233.6 while eating like **** (ie not much at all) today. fun!

Reko
09-27-08, 6:06 pm
de upper
135 + dbl minis 8 sets 3 reps, 2 sets of each finger on the ring.
225 rep bench (no bands) x22 or 23. PR
axle overhead
up to 175x4 all push jerked and split
light pull downs for warmup
pull ups, BW x10, x10 x8 (I will have you note that 2 people anchored the rack down while I did this, I think this is what they call an intervention haha)

3 super sets of teter band pulls and mini band face pulls.
232.4 for all those keeping score at home.

Reko
09-28-08, 10:43 pm
conditioning

8 sets of:
sled 3 plates
prowler + 1 plate
hammer time!

Reko
09-29-08, 12:37 pm
ME lower
low box cambered bar
up to 525x1 (tied PR - mis added and thought this was a PR), got it on video, was easy so went for another
575x1 50 pound PR! got this on video too, will post them later

Block pulls (standing on 3" block)
up to 515x1 PR by default
Went for 565 and got it to the knees but couldn't pull it out

couple sets each of GHR and hypers
Did some ridiculous thing ben came up with where we jump into hte tire holes that we laid out then sprint afterwards.

I don't like sprinting anymore. LOL.

BW 231.6

SQUAT or DIE!
09-29-08, 12:40 pm
so whats the difference between a straight bar and a cambered bar besides the obvious...

good work too..

Maharg
09-29-08, 4:57 pm
Still kicking ass Reko. Gotta train with you some day.

Reko
09-30-08, 6:58 pm
so whats the difference between a straight bar and a cambered bar besides the obvious...

good work too..

It harder to stabilize. It really throws you forward when you come out of the hole so it forces you to arch, and arch hard. My low back is still killing me lol. Its hard to tell but the weight is really swinging there, you can see right when I come up off the box I pretty much stop and get thrown forward a bit. That would be the weight swinging, while a small amount ever little bit sucks lol.

Reko
09-30-08, 6:59 pm
Still kicking ass Reko. Gotta train with you some day.

Thanks guys. We train at 5 am now pretty much for our max effort stuff, so if you want to make it out you are more than welcome but that would be quite a drive for ya lol.

Reko
10-01-08, 8:25 am
ME bench
reverse band press, a la Sean.
up to 405x1 easy,
455 miss badly
then did 405 for 5 lightly assisted reps I think.

Raw bench 315x4, then 315x0.
I don't know that I like this reverse band stuff anymore, really hard to stay tight, although we did use the old bench so that may have had something to do with it, but I couldn't really get it on the new one either for the raw work. Maybe I just wasnt focused enough.

Will do upper back work later as I gotta be at work early

Reko
10-06-08, 12:00 am
Springfield this weekend for the hockey home openers. Definately a shit show in a party sense.

friday morning, after mild drinking thursday night
oly squats raw up to 405x5, RDLs 405x5 also, no belt either.

after heavy heavy heavy heavy HEAVY drinking friday and saturday, did this today:
DE upper
speed bench with doubled minis 135 8x3 various grips
lat pull downs
french presses
front DB raises SS with side lateral raises
face pulls SS teter band pulls.

BW 236.5

Reko
10-06-08, 10:48 pm
deloadish stuff - have a meet in 2 weeks (not this weekend but the following one) so I will take openers this week and deload.

DL up to 585 smooth. Will have video later.
BW hypers.

I think that was it. I am off work tomorrow and am doing running around, picking up dad from the airport and stuff, so well see what tomorrow brings but I may do some conditioning. Or not.

Reko
10-06-08, 11:52 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kM0XgI35cc

SQUAT or DIE!
10-06-08, 11:57 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kM0XgI35cc

sick beard!!! pull was good too. LOL

Reko
10-07-08, 5:02 pm
LOL, thanks!

Is there a way to embed the youtube videos in a post?

Reko
10-08-08, 7:52 am
ME/deload bench - just taking openers this week.

UASPL bench (aka raw, head back, feet flat, paused)
up to a fairly easy 315.
called it there.
Will likely do some extra stuff tomorrow or something, I've got a packed week this week.
bw 233.3

Reko
10-12-08, 11:35 pm
Saturday, up to 315 DLs double overhand for a triple with resets after each.

Tonight,
'cuff stuff, to plagarize keith.
hammer time with the tire, about 15 sets total. Most were head to head with ben every thirty seconds.
band dislocated while sitting down.

After this meet, back on the horse with double workouts and extra conditioning. I've been kind of a slacker lately and its deload time now, so once that is taken care of, getting bigger and leaner at the same time, because training hard allows that. At least it did for me briefly. And getting strong as ****!

<rant>
after this next phase of lifting/bulking, people will not have to ask me if I work out. Seriously, I'm getting sick of it. I don't know if I just don't carry my weight right or what, but people don't seem to get it until they touch/grab my shoulders and traps and then seem surprised that there is a little bit of thickness there.
</rant>

Reko
10-13-08, 8:24 am
Hodgepdge day
oly squat up to 315x5x2
left and went to work, not realizing it was my late week.
Since I never benched this weekend (and since they don't have a bench there)
seated OH DB Press up to 75x8x2. These were stupid easy, plenty left in the tank.
DB hamemr curls
hypers SS with hypers (first one low back oriented, second one glute oriented)
BW 234.

Strength feels on for the meet, which is good becuase I will be giving blood on wednesday, so I don't know how that will effect me, if any. Since its raw and only two lifts, I doubt it would be that bad, I just may pass out after pulling :P

Reko
10-14-08, 11:33 pm
conditioning in the late PM

warm up of back sled stuff with 1.5 plates (rows, "in front of body pull down", shrugs, rows again)

warm up run of 1.5 sled forwards then backwards
warm up of prowler 1 plate, then 2.

5 sets of:
prowler push SS with sled forward SS with sled backwards SS with prowler again.

blah. my legs are swole.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-14-08, 11:37 pm
lots of conditioning i see..

Reko
10-17-08, 8:18 pm
lots of conditioning i see..

Yea, im starting to get fat again, plus I have a raw push pull tomorrow so its also deload too.

opening with 315/585.

goals are 345/625, ideally, 365/635, or something that totals 1,000.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-17-08, 8:20 pm
Yea, im starting to get fat again, plus I have a raw push pull tomorrow so its also deload too.

opening with 315/585.

goals are 345/625, ideally, 365/635, or something that totals 1,000.

damn thats a great total for araw push pull..

i need to up my conditioning too, i just hate it.

Reko
10-18-08, 6:20 am
damn thats a great total for araw push pull..

i need to up my conditioning too, i just hate it.

lol, me too, but its necessary and has done wonders for me.
sled, prowler, and sledge hammer have done amazing things for me.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-18-08, 11:09 am
lol, me too, but its necessary and has done wonders for me.
sled, prowler, and sledge hammer have done amazing things for me.

sledge hammer- like you swing it against a tire? cause my buddys rugby teams does that frm time to time..

i lack most of the equipment to do cool shit like that, all i got is cardio equip :(

Reko
10-18-08, 8:15 pm
Yep, like the tires you see strongmen flip. Just hit those really hard over and over and from different angles!

Reko
10-18-08, 8:19 pm
For everyone else who wants to hear about an epic day that pretended to be full of fail at first but was just playing, read this post. Warning, long post may be long.

It all started with last night when we were at Khan. Thats all there is, just Khan and the bloat/gain I got from it, up to 240.2 as you can see above. Got to bed around midnight or so, as the team I used to play for at school was playing last years D2 club champions in a showcase tourney. They lost 3-2. Got outplayed, but as far as rankings are concerned, score is all that matters.

Flash forwards to today on.... 4.5 hours sleep or so. Everythign went well in the morning, got gas, has everything, etc. Got will, and we got McDonalds. Got on the highway and wound up going north instead of south on one highway (it was habit). No biggie, just u-turn and back on our way. Well about 2 miles down is a construction zone, so i slow down, well a cop comes up behidn me with his lights on. ****. Pull over... turns out he didn't want me. PHEW! Keep driving. Get to the next construction zone... ANOTHER COP LIGHTS ON BEHIND ME! WTF! Slow down, pull over... he didn't want me either. PHEW! finally get on the highway we need to get to the mett and see 2 more cops coming into down town. Thank god we are on the way.

Had to drive about 2 hours through some fail fog all the way, and drove by a deer about 10 feet away, just waiting for the right time to cross the road. And had my cd player over heat so we had to shut the comedy down about 3/4 the way. Then we find out the map we have is wrong so we improvise. No biggie. Finally get there and everything, get weighed in all that jazz.

Weighed in at 235.8. Works for me. Found out it was no singlet (thank god), and you can pick your head up and bench on your toes if you want. Cool. So I give them my openers of 315/585 and see my competition walk in, some guy with a shirt from metroflex gym (Ronnie Coleman's choice place for lifting). Was a few pounds heavier but look much bigger, at least on the upper part of his body. I figured if I can at least stay close on the bench I can take him on the pull (more on this guy later lol).

Wait a while and watch a little bit of the first flight then went to warm up and hang out with mark and will in the w/u room, which was their student lifting area. Mind you, this is at University of Missouri, and I am sporting a Missouri State University shirt all day. Got a few looks from the students. Ah well, their loss :P. Took various warm ups and Will gave some good advice and suggestions for it and I think it helped a lot come meet time.

First attempt 315, got it, easy. No video, sorry.
I was thinking 340 or so, Will thought 330, so I split the diff and went 335, Smoke show! I don't know who was doing the yeah buddy, light weight stuff, but it was kind of annoying. I have an idea though, and it was that person, too bad because I took his medal (more later haha)
Anyway, 335:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju93NsshTWg

Felt easier than 315. Went for broke on the next one and called for 365. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9WTT80mVtk

Yes that is me yelling at lockout (faintly as its far from the mic on my camera) lol.

Now we wait. Time in between killed me as I was pretty pumped up, but I saw the highlight of the day here... a 4 year old girl DLed 80 pounds. Straight up like it was nothing. Fan-****ing-tastic!.

On to my lift. I didn't warm up with the DL bar, which was a mistake because it was the whippiest bar ever. It puts the okie to shame, and I'm not lying. Not at all.
Opener, 585:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEFKnctnR4

Felt harder than it looked. I think they always do.
Didnt feel as easy as I wanted, but was gonna hit 605 regardless. Here is that attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjgDaqThd8

That felt a lot harder than it looked. Looked like my 585 from a few weeks ago, so its coming along nicely.

Lastly, I figured I'd take a stab at a 1000 raw PP total, so called for 635, here is that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M1A79h4M2Y

All three of my DLs felt like my grip was uneven, like I was cheating to the left a little bit. It didn't matter on my lifts but it was strange.

Total: 970. Very much epic as I think my goal was 335/600 or something like that, with a stretch goal of 365/635 or some combination of 1000.

So, the guy who was my competition went like 350/455 or 495. He missed his last two DLs cuz he has wacky form and moves aroud nway too much and over locks out (ie does that lean back ****) and therefor had his knees bent and never really locked out. Anyway, I had him beat by a long shot (>100 pounds) and so I was estatic I won my weight class. Well, they called me for second and him for first. Went back and talked to the lady who kept score, asked to see the results, and they realized they made the mistake, so they walked over, took his medal, gave him mine, in front of everyone and he was sad. But its ok, because I out benched and deadlifted him

Also saw Ken Ufford DL 765 at 44 y/o raw. And watched him do 700 like a toy. Got both on video and will post them in a bit.

Went and got Ruby Tuesday after with Will and Mark and we all got bison burgers, which were delicious, although they brought out chicken for me or something (fail). Got back on the road and listened to comedy on the way back. Dropped off Will and plopped in 2112 and the song literally ended when I pulled into the street for my apartment. At that time, my lucky penny that I was saving for a time where I needed epicness (today) decided it had done its job and left me. I had it sitting on a flat spot of my steering chamber by my odometer and what not, and its been there for months, never budged, (I found it heads up somewhere, and I couldn't put it in my shoe because I already had a good luck one there so I set it there to save it for later and never really used it. So, I believe that it gave me luck today, and then when the day for all practical purposes was over, said, my time is done, peace out. I have no idea where it is. I think it slid into the steering chamber to be lost in the inner confines of my car.

Epic day was epic.

Big props and thanks to the 1-0-7 guys for helping me develop as a person and as a lifter since coming up here - Ben, Sean, Will, Mark, Sean and Adam, and also to those guys like Mike Lane who like to keep reminding me every day that they are stronger and thus making sure my dedication never wanes . I'll always have my squat I tell myself lol.
Also big thanks to Will for riding out with me and helping with the warm ups attempts and generic handling today. Couldn't have done it without you big guy.
Lastly to Bill and Eli for running the meet. It was very quick and very well run. A very fun meet, and as Will put it best, "The way powerlifting should be."

The only guy who I don't think had a good time was the guy who's medal I (rightfully) took.
Time to deuce, take a long shower, eat again, and drink a cold one with my springfield friends who are in for tonight. If I go out at all and don't go to bed lol.

Maharg
10-18-08, 8:30 pm
Badass day man, congrats on the new medal.

MassMonster
10-19-08, 12:00 am
Nice Lifts bro...

Reko
10-20-08, 8:44 am
Badass day man, congrats on the new medal.

Nice Lifts bro...

Thanks guys! Feels good to be able to compete again.

Now, though, it's time to recover.

10 min treadmill
stretching
10 min treadmill

bw 234.

Reko
10-20-08, 1:20 pm
Lunch break workout:
Ab lab in the wellness center with Becky.

Reko
10-22-08, 8:39 am
Upper stuff

Sled warm up with 2 35s. rows, presses, upright rows, rows

BB rows
up to 275x8 time to up the weight or reps or both.

went to work
DB shoulder press
seated 75x8x2, biggest ones they had
curls

Reko
10-23-08, 9:51 am
Healthy heart is healthy.

I think there may have been somethign wrong with that machine, becuase I've never had numbers that good lol.
a few years back when i first broke 200 pounds I had 220 total cholesterol, LDL and HDL were high, triglycerides were fine.
A year or two later at, little bit bigger maybe, was around 240, both high but tri's were high also.
Now at 235 and dirty bulking, I am not expecting great numbers.
You ready for this?

Total: 186, Tris are well under the reccomended, glucose is good, HDL high, LDL low....
Yea, doesn't make sense to me either. I guess that prowler is good for more than BDSM training.

Looks like hard training has more of an effect on this stuff than they think.
Meat and high fat dairy at almost every meal, protein shakes loaded with cholesterol.....

SQUAT or DIE!
10-23-08, 10:48 am
Healthy heart is healthy.

I think there may have been somethign wrong with that machine, becuase I've never had numbers that good lol.
a few years back when i first broke 200 pounds I had 220 total cholesterol, LDL and HDL were high, triglycerides were fine.
A year or two later at, little bit bigger maybe, was around 240, both high but tri's were high also.
Now at 235 and dirty bulking, I am not expecting great numbers.
You ready for this?

Total: 186, Tris are well under the reccomended, glucose is good, HDL high, LDL low....
Yea, doesn't make sense to me either. I guess that prowler is good for more than BDSM training.

Looks like hard training has more of an effect on this stuff than they think.
Meat and high fat dairy at almost every meal, protein shakes loaded with cholesterol.....

well all that cardio is gonna do wonders for ya.. last time i got my chol checked it was 200 and they wanted to put me on meds for it.. LOL sillly doctors, i should probably get mine checked again just to see, but taking stak i dont think it would benefit me to be tested while on it.. perhaps after i stop it..

But very glad to hear your healthy, physically anyway...

Reko
10-27-08, 9:40 pm
Thanks man.

ME lower (missed it this morning, couldn't sleep as the weekend was, well, fantastic):

Low box squat, low bar still. Think im gonna stick with it for the PL stuff even though its awkward as hell still.

Up to 585, which is a PR. Walkout/walk in sucked and the squat was a little slow coming up but no stalls. Very happy with this.

DLs
up to 500x10. That blew. I may have shit myself, but thankfully I just checked and I was clean lol. After the 5th rep I started yelling like crazy each. It was sweet. A regular gym would have come to a standstill. Used DO w/straps in case anyone was wondering.

SS hypers and standard tire sledge hits (standard being 5/5/5). 3 sets of that. BW 230

Good day today, but man those DLs killed me. I had all ambitions to do some sled and conditioning, but after that my legs were jello and my energy was non existent.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-27-08, 10:20 pm
god damn son you are strong as hell!

Maharg
10-27-08, 10:47 pm
I would have threw up after that many deads. Bravo on not shitting yourself.

Reko
10-29-08, 8:21 am
Lol, thanks guys

ME Bench
up to 315x3, then 370 x0, stalled around 2-3 board range I think.

triceps deather with 225, 3 reps for 2 sets.
light lat pull downs
teter band pulls

I think I'm gonna start getting more delt work in. They seem to be the nagging part that always hurts or something, so they are probably the weak link.

Reko
10-31-08, 1:14 am
DE lower
3 or 4 sets of 225 + blues to low box
2 or 3 sets of 315 to low box with blue bands.

Thats it, my shoulder felt like complete **** and was getting worse real fast. Just taking the weights off was incredibly painful, I don't know what's going on with it.

Reko
11-03-08, 8:08 am
ME lower

Good mornings:
up to 315x5 (ties PR), 365x5 (new PR for any number of reps), 405 x3 PR again.
bulgarian something or other deadlift: Heaviest KB we had plus all chain 2 sets of 15. I think the end weight was probably in the 250 area. ~120 KB + ~120 chain. These were good, but had to skedaddle on out and get to work.
BW 234.6

Will do some more accessory later.

Reko
11-03-08, 8:09 am
obviously I have not done GMs in quite sometime to hit that epic of a PR lol.

Reko
11-03-08, 9:30 pm
PM Conditioning:
tire/sled forward/sled backwards/tire starting with 1 plate on the sled up to 6 plates, resting in between each.

Then, for some stupid dumb ass ****ing reason, I came up with this "brilliant" idea:

Just do a drop set of tire/forwards/backwards/- 1 plate repeat for the whole sled...... took me about 8 minutes judging by the song times in my mp3 player.

Holy **** that sucked.

tire being 5 right, 5 left, 5 overhead.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-03-08, 9:32 pm
freak....

Reko
11-03-08, 10:32 pm
freak....

SQUAT or DIE!
11-03-08, 10:33 pm

that wasnt the kind that shoul be taken as a compliment.. your a conditinin psycho

Reko
11-03-08, 11:05 pm
haha, ok well actually, I'm in terrible shape, unless you count maxing out as in shape. I just wanted to get it over with to be honest, that way I could go home and eat. I left my apt at 4:30 ish AM and didn't get back till a little after 7 PM so, my food and internets were callin.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-03-08, 11:08 pm
haha, ok well actually, I'm in terrible shape, unless you count maxing out as in shape. I just wanted to get it over with to be honest, that way I could go home and eat. I left my apt at 4:30 ish AM and didn't get back till a little after 7 PM so, my food and internets were callin.

LOL same way here.. damn man 14+ hrs away from home is brutal, im hoping to get a job thatll do the same for me this summer.. lol

Reko
11-04-08, 8:51 am
LOL same way here.. damn man 14+ hrs away from home is brutal, im hoping to get a job thatll do the same for me this summer.. lol

14 hours? You goign to school out of state or something?

SQUAT or DIE!
11-04-08, 10:33 am
14 hours? You goign to school out of state or something?

lol i think i got confused... i thought u were out working for 14 hrs.... but no i go to school instate but its a plenty big state so i could drive for 14 hrs in still be in it...

Reko
11-04-08, 1:09 pm
lol i think i got confused... i thought u were out working for 14 hrs.... but no i go to school instate but its a plenty big state so i could drive for 14 hrs in still be in it...

Nah, that day was a 10 hour work day (i alternate between 5 8's and 4 10's), and i was up at the gym in the morning but didn't finish in time so had to go back after work. So I got a little home sick in that time frame I guess haha.

Reko
11-05-08, 10:23 pm
ME upper
mobility warmups for the shoulder - couple sets of sled drags doing rows and upright rows, some pull aparts and dislocates with the band, and rotations stuff with a 5 pound weight.
flat bench up to 350x2, not real happy with this even though I probably should be. The reps felt slow and I didn't feel very tight. Good news at least My shoulders and elbows feel much better. Guess the warmup helped. I'm getting old lol.

Rotator cuff stuff with the band.
triceps death 5 reps with 225 x2.

will get the rest tomorrow at work. Have to go pick up my dad at the airport and get some free food out of it. Keep your fingers crossed for Khan.

bw 236

Reko
11-08-08, 12:49 pm
from last thursday
Abs
and
upper accessory
-semi close grip pull downs
-face pulls
-Db side lateral raises
-front plate raises
-arnold DB curls
- walk/run 1 mile, mostly walk though. 20:22 wow thats bad.

bw 239. I feel swole. And I haven't been taking my creatine hahaha.

Reko
11-09-08, 1:21 am
315 + blues to low box for about 5 sets of 2. Form was better (kind of - some sets were better. The video was my second set saw I was still rocking a bit so worked on it the next few sets.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKEjI24DkU8

had a friend and his GF in town, so that is who is talking in the background.
Bands add about 200-250 at the top.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-09-08, 2:24 am
damn fine squattin reko.. plenty of speed on them..

Reko
11-09-08, 9:28 pm
Thanks man!

Speed bench tonight, 135 + dbl minis, 4 sets, each with a different finger on the ring
145 + dbl minis, same thing but no rest inbetween sets.

Reko
11-11-08, 8:35 am
ME lower
Low box squats up to 605x1 (20 pound PR), despite hitting my hand on the rack frame while on the box. Will follow up with some more accessory work tonight as I decided to roll into work. Apparently a little early too as I missed the fireworks at the gym. Big will threw up outside of the gym today after his brilliant idea of suppersetting. I'm kind of sad, but also glad, that I missed out on that.

Reko
11-11-08, 8:42 am
OH yea, BW 236. Forgot to put that in there and its too late to edit.

Reko
11-11-08, 6:57 pm
PM
box pulls, standing on 3 inch box
up to 405x5 raw

2 sets of ukranian DL

one handed kettle bell swings each hand getting ample time.
bw 238

Reko
11-11-08, 10:52 pm
our squat bar....

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x64/RealTraining/100_1826.jpg

(Note I took the picture, those are two of my training partners - guy on the left is a 900 squatter)

SQUAT or DIE!
11-11-08, 10:54 pm
our squat bar....

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x64/RealTraining/100_1826.jpg

(Note I took the picture, those are two of my training partners - guy on the left is a 900 squatter)

SICK!!!!!

Reko
11-15-08, 12:23 pm
Lower accessory.
Oly squats up to 405x7. Pr for reps.
Hyper extensions.
calves
foam rolling.

bw 235.

I think I stole the squat rack from McJagger. No joke, old tan wrinkly guy still trying to get his swole on. Looks like he's been to the 90210 god a few times too. Also am now 3/3 for working out free at the 24 hour fitness by my house. The girl tried to charge me 15 and the manager who was trying to sell me on a membership said, no its free. He must have seen my expression when she said that. Gold is 16.99, and 24 hour is 15 for a day pass.... I'm so glad we have 1-0-7!

Reko
11-17-08, 9:13 pm
Due to the leg day 2 days ago, I decided to forgo squats today and do some conditioning.

super set of:
Tire, sled forwards, tire, sled backwards, tire ----- from 1 plate up to 6, inclusive, with rest in between each super set.
Then I got stupid

Tire, sled forwards, tire, sled backwards, remove a plate, repeat until the sled is empty. took 15 minutes, no stops in between, though I didn't exactly sprint either. It is what it is.

total:
12 trips forward, 12 trips backwards, (18 + 12) *15 = 450 total tire hits. Fun fun fun.

BW 235

Reko
11-19-08, 8:08 pm
ME upper
bench with ~90 pound of chain
up to 275x1
315 close miss.

Threw it back towards my head so I think more upper back work is now in order.
stripped the chain and hit 335x1, felt real heavy. Elbow was giving me fits again.

lat pull downs
face pulls on the pull down machine SS with teter band pulls
moderately close grip push ups on those push up handles

side lateral raises SS with mini band tricep press downs.

Not happy with my benching at the moment.

bw 238.8

Reko
11-21-08, 8:05 pm
BW 241.1, my dreams are coming true!

DE lower

low box blue band speed squats
315x2x4 speed was good. Bar was flexin up and down haha

speed pulls 315 straight weight
7 sets of 1. about 20 sec between. Speed good here too.

Dimel deads 225x20x2... ouch, havent done these in a while and they were way too heavy for what they were

hypers
sled 4 plates forward then backwards 1 trip.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-21-08, 8:09 pm
241 gettin close to the big boy classes...

great work reko... i envy the sled work

Reko
11-22-08, 3:05 pm
Thanks man. I'm gonna try to stay in (as in compete) as a 242, but, like you I'm going for that 1,000 squat. So wherever my weight needs to be for it, so be it!

De bench

135 + dbl minisx3x8 4 different grips
225 bench no bands x22 reps

JM presses
Neutral grip pull downs
pull ups 6x3
band pull aparts.

Good day today!

SQUAT or DIE!
11-22-08, 3:12 pm
sam byrd has a 1000lb squats in 3 weight classes, weight is where ever you want it to be- for the most part

Reko
11-23-08, 1:23 am
Thats true, 198, 220, 242 right?

Anyway, I'm gonna get the 1,000 first, then I'll work my way through the classes although I'll probably go down instead of up like most PLers haha. Aside form that I don't really have any long term competition goals so I'll (hopefully) have family then and that will more or less dictate what I do with training from then on out.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-23-08, 10:00 am
word son word.

Reko
11-24-08, 8:45 pm
ME lower

free squats up to 495 easy with belt
debated and then his 585 with loose wraps and belt
thought real long and hard (615 is PR)
decided on 650, belt with tight wraps.. Got it. 35 pound PR!

This was mpretty much a true max here as it was a pretty decent grinder through the sticking point and then had good speed past that at least. Was completely gassed.

did 3 sets of claves which were basically worthless as there was no real intensity to them.
Went home.

time to mceat.
bw 238.6 or something like that, and i haven't eaten dinner yet. 241.5 will fall tomorrow at the mercy of KHAN! MARK MY WORDS!

SQUAT or DIE!
11-24-08, 8:47 pm
LOL star trek eh?

damn good squats my friend!!!!

Reko
11-24-08, 8:59 pm
Star Trek?
If I did it was by accident :P Thanks for the props regardless!

Also would like to note I broke a few blood vessels in my neck and some on my face as a result of this squat. Not as bad as I usually do when something like this happens, but thought I would still note it.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-24-08, 9:02 pm
Star Trek?
If I did it was by accident :P Thanks for the props regardless!

Also would like to note I broke a few blood vessels in my neck and some on my face as a result of this squat. Not as bad as I usually do when something like this happens, but thought I would still note it.

LOL i usually get blood shot eyes and blood spots on my face.. i feel cool when that happens.

Reko
11-24-08, 10:21 pm
LOL i usually get blood shot eyes and blood spots on my face.. i feel cool when that happens.

Ive got a pretty big (area wise) beard so most of mine aren't very visible. I have yet to get my eyes though. I though i had it once and got real excited but it was a false alarm haha.

A friend of mine got his eyes so bad the entire whites were red.. it wasn't a spot, it was literally the entire white. I have a picture if you want to see it

SQUAT or DIE!
11-24-08, 10:36 pm
DUDE I WANT A BEARD SOOOO BAD!! AAARRRGGH

i wanna see i wanna see!!!

Reko
11-24-08, 10:54 pm
DUDE I WANT A BEARD SOOOO BAD!! AAARRRGGH

i wanna see i wanna see!!!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x64/RealTraining/n1304370260_30147214_147_123.jpg

SQUAT or DIE!
11-24-08, 10:56 pm
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x64/RealTraining/n1304370260_30147214_147_123.jpg

LOL looks like he got his eyes inked.. thats badass

Reko
11-26-08, 8:44 am
ME upper
bench up to 315x5, ties PR, was easier despite the fact my bicep/forarm area was giving me hell. I wore two knee sleeves (they were big) on it, that seemed to help until I took them off, then it just radiated up through my arm and into my shoulder. Man this thing is frustrating.

neutral grip pull downs up to a few sets of higher reps at 200.
Tricep rolling DB extentions SS with db hammer curls. The rolling ext. morphed into jm presses, which morphed into elbows out extentions due to pain. Use lighter weight with these just to feel them out, not good.
moderate weight DB hammer curls.... yea, 1 rep was enough. That really freaking hurt.

So, its definately a bicep thing, it may have been brought on by the low bar squats and my awesome inflexibility. So, I'm thinking some strange twisted form of tendonitis.
bw 240.2. Pre breakfast. Good deal.

SQUAT or DIE!
11-26-08, 8:55 am
goo work reko.... get that arm taken care of!

Reko
11-26-08, 10:48 am
Oh yea, went to Mongolian BBQ last night, and, well, 4 stuffed dudes (avg weight 260), an hour and a half later, we had 14 large plates and 13 small (appetizer) plates stacked up on our table. Then we went and got ice cream! I gained 5 pounds during the meal as I weighed myself before and after haha!!!!

Pics, its to another board, sorry if that is agaisnt the rules but I'm just linking to a post, not the whole thing.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=2044614&postcount=32

SQUAT or DIE!
11-26-08, 11:30 am
NICE

Reko
11-30-08, 11:13 pm
training from this weekend

thursday
DE day at SLU with lane.
~parallel box squats blue bands + 315 2x2, shoulder killed and couldn't get wide enough in the rack, so I dropped the weight an dhigh-barred it
225x2x6
Snatch grip deads standing on foam, raw but had straps at 405 and up.
405x6, 455x(lane+1) meaning I think I got 5.
Some GHRs
Stood up a pretty meaty tire.

Bicep kills, am going to ice it now
-----

Friday:
DE upper @ Eagle with Ben.
speed bench straight weight, 135x3x8 (bicep hurt a little)
Seated military press, up to 165x8, couple of forced reps in there perhaps. (no pain)
CSR up to 4 plates I think. (light pain)
reverse hyper (it was there, I had to do it).
high rep cross body DB curls (light weight to help the bicep) (light pain, but only on certain reps, avoided by swinging a little)
H-rolls (no pain)
more light DB cross body curls
purple band tricep press downs, 3 sets to get to 50 reps total (25, 15, 10). 1 band each arm since the rack was pretty tall. No pain there either.

Overall, bicep feels good. I picked up some anti-inflammatories so hopefully that will help too.

Reko
12-02-08, 8:11 am
Well well well... I rolled out of bed and stepped into 3 feet of funk. Wanted to train this morning not becuase of the morning training, but just becuase I wanted to get it over with so I didn't have to worry about it later (and also for reasons below). Felt like crap, didn't want to do anything, and just am worn out and its only Tuesday morning.

ME lower
Deadlift up to 315 raw, felt weak. 405 raw very snappy, this made me a little happy. 495 belt, slow as hell
585x0x2. First attpemt felt like 650 (I double checked - it wasn't). Second attempt felt like 800. **** that. Decided I'm going to deload the rest of the week. Been sick, workouts were weird this weekend and hit a big squat PR last week. Plus, i actually had a net LOSS of weight thanksgiving weekend. Even more of a reason I'm pissed off. Plus I'm way behind on my studying and will be ramping it up.

bw hypers.
ukranian DLs 2x20.
Thats it. In hindsight i should have done sled or something but I was so depressed about the DL I jsut wanted to get out of there. I'll just chalk that one up as a loss. I've had more wins than losses in my time so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but I'm still not happy about it. Just like stocks, they don't always go up, you just gotta keep investing and let it grow over time.

Now, the fun part. I have my first exam January 10th, so I'm going to be studying hard core (I'm behind - not good) and will be training mostly in the mornings or at least burn through them fast and then studying before work (after training) and then after work as well before heading home, or at least that is the plan, I may head home if my stomach gets too demanding for food. If I train in the eveneings it will be right after work to consolidate drive times and what not. I have a trip planned to springfield later that I may end up passing on depending on how the studying is going, which sucks. Also I'm not gonna be able to go home for christmas until the 26th, so that sucks too. Plus I just feel stressed for no reason what so ever. Oh well, just like in Fight Club, sometimes these things happen. Maybe I'll watch that movie tonight, seems to always get me out of whatever funk I'm in, when/if I'm in one. Just a reaffirmation of it all really doesn't matter that much I guess.

Anyway...
</emo>

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 10:38 am
aww boo hoo you didnt pull 585! i cant pull more than 385!!!!!!!!!!! either way not a shabby wo.

deloading after being sick sounds like a great idea, let your body rest up and get back to 100%..

dude your first exam is jan 10? mine is next monday! im not really behind but an entire semester takes a while to study!!

fight club FTW! sorry to hear about the christmas situation bro, i cant imagine not spending christmas with the fam :(

Reko
12-02-08, 12:58 pm
aww boo hoo you didnt pull 585! i cant pull more than 385!!!!!!!!!!! either way not a shabby wo.

deloading after being sick sounds like a great idea, let your body rest up and get back to 100%..

dude your first exam is jan 10? mine is next monday! im not really behind but an entire semester takes a while to study!!

fight club FTW! sorry to hear about the christmas situation bro, i cant imagine not spending christmas with the fam :(

By exam, I meant actuary exam. So its a self study thing, register for the tests and take them at my own pace (although sooner is better, esp with the job market, gotta stay on top of my resume you know?)
And on the DL... I smoked 605 not too long ago and wanted a crack at 620+ fresh and well, i was obviously not fresh today! It normally tracks my squat, which I just hit a huge PR in so i was looking forward to it. Oh well, like I said, you win some you lose some.

SQUAT or DIE!
12-02-08, 1:01 pm
By exam, I meant actuary exam. So its a self study thing, register for the tests and take them at my own pace (although sooner is better, esp with the job market, gotta stay on top of my resume you know?)
And on the DL... I smoked 605 not too long ago and wanted a crack at 620+ fresh and well, i was obviously not fresh today! It normally tracks my squat, which I just hit a huge PR in so i was looking forward to it. Oh well, like I said, you win some you lose some.

wow i dont think i could do a study and test at your leisure... id never do it

get better an smoke 620!

Reko
12-06-08, 1:56 pm
de upper
speed bench 135x3x8 with dbl monster minis
BW bench challenge: 240x20. I think I won today.... barely. Adam got 19.99999999 reps @ 250 (i think) on his. lol

tricep band press downs with green band 4x20
chaos curls 1 set
db hammer curls with light weight for the bicep 3 sets.

will hit upper back work tomorrow after squatting.

biceps had minor issues when doing speed bench, put the sleeve and biofreeze on halfway through those. was fine the rest of the day.

BW 237.2 with hoodies and sweats. Being sick blows. I'll make it up this weekend.

Reko
12-07-08, 8:25 pm
ME freezing/lower:

free cambered bar squats:
525x1, 615x0 pretty bad miss. didn't feel heavy, just couldn't balance it and lost control of it in the hole. Rep before wasn't much better either, but I at least got that one.

straight bar good mornings
up to 315 for a few. Wasn't counting.

Still trying to shake whatever I've got.

SQUAT or DIE!
12-07-08, 8:37 pm
not bad reko..

Reko
12-09-08, 12:18 am
Thanks man, I think that bar is easier to take to a box... it swings so much going free with it!