in here?
i would love to have a conversation
since i am trying to make my mind and practice any of those disciplines

mjsef88
07-23-08, 7:32 pm
in here?
i would love to have a conversation
since i am trying to make my mind and practice any of those disciplines

What are you looking to get out of it? Something for self defense? additional fitness?

Capoeria is crazy hard stuff.

shizz702
07-23-08, 7:36 pm
I used to do muay thai a few years back. It definitely gives you a good foundation for self defense and is an excellent form of cardio.

krazyassmexican
07-23-08, 8:35 pm
What are you looking to get out of it? Something for self defense? additional fitness?

Capoeria is crazy hard stuff.
i have been always a big fan of capoeira

but i figured it's gonna be a mission

I used to do muay thai a few years back. It definitely gives you a good foundation for self defense and is an excellent form of cardio.

would you recommend it over kickboxin?

mjsef88
07-24-08, 8:06 am
i have been always a big fan of capoeira

but i figured it's gonna be a mission

Whatever you decide to do, your heart has to be 100% into it. Seriously, it may mean sacrificing a day or two here or there at the gym. But you're smart enough. You'll know when you need to take a 2/3 day split instead of 5.

would you recommend it over kickboxin?

For self defense......most definately.

krazyassmexican
07-24-08, 9:27 am
Whatever you decide to do, your heart has to be 100% into it. Seriously, it may mean sacrificing a day or two here or there at the gym. But you're smart enough. You'll know when you need to take a 2/3 day split instead of 5.

For self defense......most definately.

true on that i already thought about the sacrifices i will need to make and i am ready, there's this school that i wanna go, i was there yesterday and they said i need to take about 6 months of a blend of martial arts where they teach you the basics and then i can pick something from there what do you think about that method?

should i go for it or go to a school where they allow me to focus on something since day one?

there is also a school like 2 blocks away from my house where they teach 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu but is kinda expensive

mjsef88
07-24-08, 11:41 am
true on that i already thought about the sacrifices i will need to make and i am ready, there's this school that i wanna go, i was there yesterday and they said i need to take about 6 months of a blend of martial arts where they teach you the basics and then i can pick something from there what do you think about that method?

should i go for it or go to a school where they allow me to focus on something since day one?

there is also a school like 2 blocks away from my house where they teach 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu but is kinda expensive

Trying to jump into anything without a good base is like competing in a powerlifting meet while only training on a bowflex.

I'd take the first option. Who knows, in 6 months you might change your mind/style.

shizz702
07-24-08, 12:00 pm
Yea if you're gonna do kickboxing go muay thai. As mj said if you are seriously looking to get into this you're gonna have to cut back on the weight training a bit. Sure you can still train, but understand martial arts is very intense, hard work. We're talking jump rope, lots and lots of ab work, drills, heavy bag work, and running!

A typical muay thai session would be like this: warm up with jumpe rope, then onto mirror shadow boxing drills, then partnering up and doing punch and kick combos on pads, then heavy bag work, finish things off with some ab work. Typical sessions usually run for about an hour. Also as you advance you will start sparring on a regular basis.

It is some serious cardio! You don't even know what cardio is until you start doing shit like this lol. Jumpe rope, pad and heavy bag work will leave you winded! If you are gonna go through with this I'd recommend changing up your weight training to 2-3 times a week into a strength/sport oriented program.

Good exercises for training for sport:

of course the basics: squat, bench and military press, deadlift, and row

explosive exercises that will help your martial arts training: cleans, jerks, snatches, kipping pull/chinups, zercher squat and deadlifts.

All the above exercises translate into sport really well and your weight training should (imo) consist primarily of them.

Best of luck to ya bro, if you have anymore questions feel free to drop me a pm.

krazyassmexican
07-24-08, 12:16 pm
Yea if you're gonna do kickboxing go muay thai. As mj said if you are seriously looking to get into this you're gonna have to cut back on the weight training a bit. Sure you can still train, but understand martial arts is very intense, hard work. We're talking jump rope, lots and lots of ab work, drills, heavy bag work, and running!

A typical muay thai session would be like this: warm up with jumpe rope, then onto mirror shadow boxing drills, then partnering up and doing punch and kick combos on pads, then heavy bag work, finish things off with some ab work. Typical sessions usually run for about an hour. Also as you advance you will start sparring on a regular basis.

It is some serious cardio! You don't even know what cardio is until you start doing shit like this lol. Jumpe rope, pad and heavy bag work will leave you winded! If you are gonna go through with this I'd recommend changing up your weight training to 2-3 times a week into a strength/sport oriented program.

Good exercises for training for sport:

of course the basics: squat, bench and military press, deadlift, and row

explosive exercises that will help your martial arts training: cleans, jerks, snatches, kipping pull/chinups, zercher squat and deadlifts.

All the above exercises translate into sport really well and your weight training should (imo) consist primarily of them.

Best of luck to ya bro, if you have anymore questions feel free to drop me a pm.

that sounds pretty bad ass bro, i am guessing i will be ripped as fuck by next year

one more question, so bulkin, cuttin stuff is history?
or can i still apply that?

shizz702
07-24-08, 12:23 pm
that sounds pretty bad ass bro, i am guessing i will be ripped as fuck by next year

yessir ripped you will be! It is so cardio oriented that you will be lean as fuck once you are seasoned. Oh another thing I forgot to mention, unless the gym you choose provides them, you may need to purchase a set of gloves, and shin guards. A lot of times they make you buy your own. Also, I highly recommend you get your stamina up as much as possible (running, jump rope, shadow boxing) in the mean time.

krazyassmexican
07-24-08, 12:26 pm
yessir ripped you will be! It is so cardio oriented that you will be lean as fuck once you are seasoned. Oh another thing I forgot to mention, unless the gym you choose provides them, you may need to purchase a set of gloves, and shin guards. A lot of times they make you buy your own. Also, I highly recommend you get your stamina up as much as possible (running, jump rope, shadow boxing) in the mean time.

so that means i should forget about ketosis and cut on lowcarbs?

mjsef88
07-24-08, 12:31 pm
one more question, so bulkin, cuttin stuff is history?
or can i still apply that?

Eh....see how it goes. I was still able to do a clean bulk. Dieting? I wouldn't plan on starting out like that if you jump in head first. I'd just take in as much clean food as possible.

Just remember, if you do that 6 month intro stuff, the first month or two may start out slow. Maybe you could finish dieting then...

shizz702
07-24-08, 12:31 pm
so that means i should forget about ketosis and cut on lowcarbs?

To be honest you will be burning so many cals I wouldn't even worry much about cuting carbs. Most serious trainees are in there 3-5 times a week and you are burning so much that unless you are taking in a fucking caloric surplus you are gonna be caloric deficient. I would probably just develop a maintenance diet that allows you plenty of energy (you are gonna need it!) in both the muay thai and gym. If you are still wanting to cut with your diet just do a moderate amount of carbs cause you are gonna need some post workout and post training to replenish. Think of it like this, between the muay thai and weight training your body is gonna be a fat burning machine! I have yet to see anyone doing muay thai (that had been there for a while) that wasn't lean.

krazyassmexican
07-24-08, 12:33 pm
Eh....see how it goes. I was still able to do a clean bulk. Dieting? I wouldn't plan on starting out like that if you jump in head first. I'd just take in as much clean food as possible.

Just remember, if you do that 6 month intro stuff, the first month or two may start out slow. Maybe you could finish dieting then...

To be honest you will be burning so many cals I wouldn't even worry much about cuting carbs. Most serious trainees are in there 3-5 times a week and you are burning so much that unless you are taking in a fucking caloric surplus you are gonna be caloric deficient. I would probably just develop a maintenance diet that allows you plenty of energy (you are gonna need it!) in both the muay thai and gym. If you are still wanting to cut with your diet just do a moderate amount of carbs cause you are gonna need some post workout and post training to replenish. Think of it like this, between the muay thai and weight training your body is gonna be a fat burning machine! I have yet to see anyone doing muay thai (that had been there for a while) that wasn't lean.

thanks a lot brothers i will consider your advice and let you know how it goes
i will start my first class this saturday

mjsef88
07-24-08, 12:35 pm
thanks a lot brothers i will consider your advice and let you know how it goes
i will start my first class this saturday

AWESOME! Keep us posted

krazyassmexican
07-24-08, 12:36 pm
AWESOME! Keep us posted

yes, i am inclined to the school were i get the blend
i have no idea about what to expect, but honestly i want a better body, better speed and get stronger and if it is possible grow in the future, i am super broke and it is my best option right now so i will go for it

shizz702
07-24-08, 12:44 pm
Right on krazy!

Glad to help bro!

krazyassmexican
07-24-08, 12:58 pm
Right on krazy!

Glad to help bro!

appreciated it

bobbymart
07-29-08, 8:59 pm
krazy email me bro I got al lthe info you need I have done mui thai, boxing, bjj, my bro teaches capoeira

ironshaolin
07-30-08, 7:34 pm
Any school that has a 6 month beginner program probably knows what they're doing. Whats the name of that school? I teach myself, and I'm involved with networking with a variety of those schools. Personally, if I was looking, I'd go to that 7 star praying mantis kung fu, I love kung fu. Capoeira I think is more a flashy style than anything else. I've seen it used in movies, but I have yet to hear any solid evidence its good for street fighting. I'm not saying it isn't, just that I have never heard someone tell a story of how a capoiera move ended a fight quickly.

bobbymart
07-30-08, 7:40 pm
Any school that has a 6 month beginner program probably knows what they're doing. Whats the name of that school? I teach myself, and I'm involved with networking with a variety of those schools. Personally, if I was looking, I'd go to that 7 star praying mantis kung fu, I love kung fu. Capoeira I think is more a flashy style than anything else. I've seen it used in movies, but I have yet to hear any solid evidence its good for street fighting. I'm not saying it isn't, just that I have never heard someone tell a story of how a capoiera move ended a fight quickly.

hell yeah it has been used in movies "Only The Strong" bad ass movie!!

shizz702
07-30-08, 7:52 pm
hell yeah it has been used in movies "Only The Strong" bad ass movie!!

fuck yea that was a good movie!

krazyassmexican
07-31-08, 1:13 pm
i am gonna start myself on hapkido
i am just waiting to cover my debts

shizz702
07-31-08, 1:17 pm
i am gonna start myself on hapkido
i am just waiting to cover my debts

good shit krazy! Tear it up! You're gonna be a bad mofo!

ThaiFighter
08-01-08, 11:48 am
muay thai all the way bro. I've trained in muay thai for years and in my opinion its the shit. of course with everything it all depends on where you go, your instructors etc. with any type of martial arts you always want to do your research on the instructors. find out where they trained who they trained under etc. the best instructor i ever had was this cat that trained in thai land and came to the states. in muay thai its all about hitting it hard each and every day, just like the animal instinct we all talk about. you also want to asked yourself what your goal is. for me...i wanted to fight, others may be just to get in shape. muay thai is great for both! think about it bro thai fighting was developed thousands of years ago therefor the style is damn near perfected. it turned sport and remains the national sport of thailand. who wouldent want to train and become part of it?

krazyassmexican
08-01-08, 11:51 am
muay thai all the way bro. I've trained in muay thai for years and in my opinion its the shit. of course with everything it all depends on where you go, your instructors etc. with any type of martial arts you always want to do your research on the instructors. find out where they trained who they trained under etc. the best instructor i ever had was this cat that trained in thai land and came to the states. in muay thai its all about hitting it hard each and every day, just like the animal instinct we all talk about. you also want to asked yourself what your goal is. for me...i wanted to fight, others may be just to get in shape. muay thai is great for both! think about it bro thai fighting was developed thousands of years ago therefor the style is damn near perfected. it turned sport and remains the national sport of thailand. who wouldent want to train and become part of it?

the only muay thai school near to my crib wants me to take over a year on a blend of different shit before they teach me any muay thai

i went to this hapkido school is pretty cool
the master has a great background, she even participate on the development of the fighting moves for some characters of mortal kombat

ThaiFighter
08-01-08, 11:56 am
the only muay thai school near to my crib wants me to take over a year on a blend of different shit before they teach me any muay thai

the master has a great background, she even participate on the development of the fighting moves for some characters of mortal kombat

i really dont know anything about hapkido except that it is more of a passive aggressive style where muay thai is an "in your face" style. thai fighters have the hardest kicks in all martial arts. does that school offer kali? kali is one bad ass style also! trains you on using sticks and it helps with developing angles of strikes.

krazyassmexican
08-01-08, 12:02 pm

i really dont know anything about hapkido except that it is more of a passive aggressive style where muay thai is an "in your face" style. thai fighters have the hardest kicks in all martial arts. does that school offer kali? kali is one bad ass style also! trains you on using sticks and it helps with developing angles of strikes.

they would just offer that and tae kwon do(sp) for lil kids

mjsef88
08-01-08, 3:14 pm
[QUOTE=ThaiFighter;467763]think about it bro thai fighting was developed thousands of years ago therefor the style is damn near perfected. QUOTE]

Just because the style was/is perfected, does not mean that everyone who learns it will have it perfected. I completely agree with everything said tho, it is a very agressive style, and will definately whip anybody into shape.

Remember Krazy, crawl before you sprint bro, get your basics down first.

krazyassmexican
08-01-08, 3:16 pm
[QUOTE=ThaiFighter;467763]think about it bro thai fighting was developed thousands of years ago therefor the style is damn near perfected. QUOTE]

Just because the style was/is perfected, does not mean that everyone who learns it will have it perfected. I completely agree with everything said tho, it is a very agressive style, and will definately whip anybody into shape.

Remember Krazy, crawl before you sprint bro, get your basics down first.

yeah i will start with the hapkido bro
i believe 2 weeks from now

ThaiFighter
08-02-08, 1:32 am
i wasent trying to put any style down, and i know that not everyone will pick the sport up fast. hell i remember my first time ever in training talk about lost! i just love the style and competition of thai fighting. remember martial arts is a slow learning process, it takes the body about 3000 repetitions for a movement to become second nature. good luck bro and have fun with it!

mjsef88
08-02-08, 11:50 am
i wasent trying to put any style down, and i know that not everyone will pick the sport up fast. hell i remember my first time ever in training talk about lost! i just love the style and competition of thai fighting. remember martial arts is a slow learning process, it takes the body about 3000 repetitions for a movement to become second nature. good luck bro and have fun with it!

No worries about knocking any other style, we knew you wern't doing that.

and definately x2 on doing something at least 3000 times. But you'll learn quick, Krazy.

InkdMuscle
08-06-08, 3:22 pm
KAM dont know what credidations the schools have in your area. but honestly every school i have been into from Judo where i got my black belt, to karate, MMA, to BJJ, to capoeira all have beginers classes. Yes starting off with a mixture might get u a better base. but look at it this way. if you studied a mixeture for 6 months you are only going to progress so far. because you have to learn so many styles. Now ifyou were to take any discpline for 6 months you would have larned way more in that certain art then u would have in the mixed class because u are focussing on the that specific art. I have a couple of buddies that practice capoeira in cali. and i have worked out with them. man my hips and thighs were killing me. that style as sick strikes for kicks not much punching. they have some punch techniques but not many. kickboxing and mui thai is probably the better choice as far as self defense goes and getting in better physical condition. you are working from every angle in those arts vs. focusing on the legs and lower body strikes. but again thats just my opinion.

krazyassmexican
08-06-08, 3:39 pm
KAM dont know what credidations the schools have in your area. but honestly every school i have been into from Judo where i got my black belt, to karate, MMA, to BJJ, to capoeira all have beginers classes. Yes starting off with a mixture might get u a better base. but look at it this way. if you studied a mixeture for 6 months you are only going to progress so far. because you have to learn so many styles. Now ifyou were to take any discpline for 6 months you would have larned way more in that certain art then u would have in the mixed class because u are focussing on the that specific art. I have a couple of buddies that practice capoeira in cali. and i have worked out with them. man my hips and thighs were killing me. that style as sick strikes for kicks not much punching. they have some punch techniques but not many. kickboxing and mui thai is probably the better choice as far as self defense goes and getting in better physical condition. you are working from every angle in those arts vs. focusing on the legs and lower body strikes. but again thats just my opinion.

i agreed with your opinion that is the reasson why i went to another school were i am gonna sign up soon and decided to take hap kido

Lunchead
12-26-08, 11:42 pm
the style is only as good as the fighter...

ironshaolin
12-28-08, 6:48 pm
the style is only as good as the fighter...

well said. And again, it depends what your goals are. Muay Thai is an effective ring fighting style, and it seems to me that alot of the classic styles are being overlooked for things like BJJ and kickboxing, due to the increased popularity of MMA. However, my goals are street self defense. Hapkido is a proven effective street self defense system. My system, Kempo Jiu-jitsu is a proven street self defense system. The punches, kicks, knees and elbows of Muay Thai are definately powerful and a force to be reckoned with, but I wonder their effectiveness in a close range match after having your groin punched and your eyes gouged out....

Rhys
01-08-09, 3:07 am
No amount of fighting skill of any kind is really going to do you much good if you've been punched in the groin real hard and your eyes gouged out. I really think it would be pretty hard to do anything other than fall on the ground writhing in pain if that happens to you. Your pretty at the mercy of your opponent at that point.

Although if you are a well trained fighter and end up kicking someones ass in a street fight you do have a pretty good chance of being charged with excessive use of force or something similar and ending up behind bars.

krazyassmexican
01-09-09, 10:50 am
No amount of fighting skill of any kind is really going to do you much good if you've been punched in the groin real hard and your eyes gouged out. I really think it would be pretty hard to do anything other than fall on the ground writhing in pain if that happens to you. Your pretty at the mercy of your opponent at that point.

Although if you are a well trained fighter and end up kicking someones ass in a street fight you do have a pretty good chance of being charged with excessive use of force or something similar and ending up behind bars.

if i wanna learn some martial arts is not to get punched on my groin area or to be kickin ass to everybody that looks at me is just for dicipline and probably speed

Jay Hanisak
03-14-09, 7:30 pm
I do Muay Thai as part of my mma trainig. I used to hate kicks, now that I'm learning hoew to do them properly I'm starting to enjoy it.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
05-25-09, 9:50 am
Krazyassmexican, you know me from once upon a time at MD, so you definitely know about my background. I will be watching you. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Firefist
05-25-09, 11:48 am
most studios these days have many different styles offered. i started in kenpo for a year or so, and then decided JKD, bjj and thai boxing was better for me and i just stuck with those. I also had tried tkd, km, capoeira, pukalan (sp?) and some others.

im in london right now and i saw some guys do REAL capoeira with the native instruments and everything. its DEFINITELY taxing on the body. those guys were all shredded beyond belief.

eh, my advise would be to check around the studio and try all the classes. see what you like i guess, chances are youll stick with it.

Firefist
05-25-09, 11:49 am
haha also when i meant i saw them in london, i did not mean that capoeira was native to england haha. they were street performers from brazil.

Ironjaw
07-17-09, 11:12 pm
Hey i saw this thread and figured id ask but is there i sitewhere yu can find places that train a specific style??? cuz i used to practice Muay Thai a while back and i wanna get back into it ... lol kinda funny tho seeing a 6ft puerto rican thai boxing... lol

SSJ-Ryu
05-31-10, 3:46 pm
I train several different martial arts about 5-6 days a week, work out about 5-6 days a week, and do gymnastics 1-2 days a week. I grew up in a gym and took on martial arts a little bit afterwards. Primarily I train Capoeira, Tae Kwon Do, and Muay Thai, with some Brazilian Jujitsu, Judo, and Hapkido on the side. I'm also on a professional martial arts show team which is where all of my acrobatics comes in, crazy flips and what not