PDA

View Full Version : The Long and Winding Road

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Firedrake
07-26-08, 12:11 am
Okay, I'm going to give this a try, in the hopes I'll do better at keeping on track.

I'm 54, and one year out of major back surgery to put a titanium cage around my spine from L2-S1. The doctor released me Tuesday to do whatever I wanted -- provided I'm careful. He said that, structurally, my spine is stronger than it's ever been, and it's certainly in better shape. Last year, before the surgery, I was no longer exercising, because the nerve impingement had gotten so bad the extensor muscles in my legs weren't working right, I couldn't walk without a cane, and stairs were a near-impossibility -- I had to drag myself up with both hands on the banisters. Falls were becoming increasingly common, and I was six months from a wheelchair. I had fallen a couple of years before when I lost control of my legs while hiking, and tore the right quad completely off the kneecap.

All that has passed. Since the surgery, the strength has been slowly returning to my legs. I can actually do most of a deep-knee bend without holding on, and I've been through PT and bodyweight exercises. Yesterday, I started back to the gym. Working very light, I did a few incline bench presses with a whole 135 lbs., some DB laterals, some lat pulldowns and Hammer Strength Rows.

Today, I actually used the "horizontal leg press" machine with 215 lbs. for 15 reps, a set of leg extensions with 50 lbs. and leg curls with 60. (PT did me a little good). I also did some preacher curls at 60 lbs. and rope triceps pressdowns.

I currently am 6' 2.5" tall, weigh 276 lbs., way too much of which is fat. My chest is 52", my waist 44" (blegh). Arms are about 16", Calves about 17".

I'll start serious record keeping on Monday.

Now: for a little history: I've been lifting since I was 14, when I saw a picture of Dave Draper on the cover of "All American Athlete." I considered competition, and was well on my way when I joined the Army. Oh, well. Between breaking both tibia and the jeep accident that messed up my back, I was never quite the same. A good sports chiropractor kept me going once I got out, and I spent a number of years working out regularly and doing medieval swordfighting in full armor. I'm USED to being active. Seven years ago, at my best, I was still squatting 400 in my 40s. And no, the doctor said the squatting did NOT hurt my back, and it was the muscle that had been there that kept me upright THIS long.

Things didn't start going downhill till 2002, when I tore my left bicep off at the elbow in a fall in the garage. 2003 saw arthritis surgery in the shoulder (too many years with a shield in that left hand), and 2004 was the fall that tore the quad. It was 2005 before we discovered it was the impinged nerve that caused the fall.

So: here I am, looking to build on this bitchin new "Titanium Man" structure I've been given. (But I didn't get the cool repulsor rays or jet boots). I haven't quite decided how I'll split things out, but I'll keep you posted. Keeping a log here will help me keep track.

"Sgt. Rock" has given me some advice on building the back, but anyone else with suggestions for someone who really hates admitting he's aging would be appreciated. I guess I make a rather odd figure, in my current shape, wearing an "Animal" beanie and "House of Pain" hoodie, with my mostly-white beard sticking out. *grin*

Any advice is certainly welcome, especially from anyone who's faced the same demons, but all are welcome to put in their two cents worth.

Firedrake
08-19-08, 9:49 pm
I'm only a month back in the gym, a year after major back surgery. The surgeon told me to hit it as hard and heavy as I like -- the titanium around the lower spine is stronger than any other part of my body. So, I'm about to see how much mass I can put back on after two years of enforced inactivity. (One before the surgery when I could hardly walk or move, and one since the surgery).

I had once been a junior level competitor, but that was long ago, before the Army fouled up my back to begin with -- if it hadn't been for the iron, I'd have been in a wheelchair long before. I've spent years doing medieval combat in full armor, and had been a regular trainer till I fell down a hill hiking and tore the right quad in 2005.

I'm really just getting focused again -- the first couple of weeks back was just seeing where I was. I was enjoying moving and feeling pumped again (though God knows it doesn't show much yet . . .) This week, I decided to actually start working -- at least for me. I'm 54, and my serum test levels are kind of low (going to see the endocrinologist to fix that next week)

Yesterday was legs -- 4 sets of thigh curls (50x20, 60x15, 70x15, 80x15), 4 sets of thigh extensions (50x20, 75x15, 90x 10, 100x8), 4 sets of squats -(135x15, 185x10, 205x8, 225x8), and seated calf raises -- (200x20x4) -- not huge numbers, but considering a year ago I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs, this was enough to make me -want- to hurl.

Today was back -- hypers 4 sets of 25 with a 10lb plate; pulldowns: 4 sets 100x15, 110x12, 120x10, 140x8), rack deadlifts (135x15, 155x15, 175x10, 175x10), low pulley rows (90x20, 110x15, 120x10, 130x10). I was done, except for 20 minutes on the treadmill at a 4.5 incline, wearing 10lb leg weights.

So, I'm just really getting started. I've got way too much bodyfat, thanks to a sedentary job and business lunches, but I managed to avoid the donuts in the meeting this morning. I'm focused on burning up the bodyfat right now, then I want to see how much muscle I can put back, and how fast.

So, that's probably TMI, but I wanted to share. I'm stoked enough that I've even found a gym to work out at while I'm out of town Thursday through Tuesday coming, thanks to one of the Alabama Animal crew, "Buh-Buh"

Firedrake
08-22-08, 4:00 pm
Wednesday saw me doing biceps and chest (weird combo, but it seems to work).

Incline DB Curls: 20x15, 25x15, 30x10, 30x8
Pinwheel DB Curls: 20x15, 20x10, 20x10, 25x8
Reverse Cable Curls: 40x20, 50x15, 60x10, 60x8
EZ Bar Cable Curls: 50x15, 60x10, 60x8

Hammer Incline Bench Press: 135x15, 155x10, 175x10, 205x8
Hammer Pullover Machine: 80x25, 105x15, 135x10, 150x8
PecDec Press: 90x15, 100x10, 110x8

Did the "crunch" machine they have, too: 3 sets of 35 reps with 80lbs.

Then I spent yesterday stuffed into coach airline seats between Los Angeles and Birmingham. <blerg!> ("Whaddaya mean I can't have more water -- I need at least another two liters today . . .")

Looking at some of the other numbers around here, I feel a little wimpy, but hell, it's only my first month in the gym after back surgery, so I have to build -- but then, I've always been the impatient type.

Hell, I'm even on vacation in Alabama for a few days, and am sitting here in my sweats getting ready to head for the gym I found out about from "Buh-Buh" on the Alabama ABC Board.

Have fun, "y'all"!

Firedrake
08-22-08, 4:02 pm
Thursday was spent on airplanes. Hardly a rest day, with my legs cramping in coach, but it'll do.

One of my friends was worried I was pushing too hard, but I'm staying in strict control of the weights, with tight form, but after six months of "physical therapy" (I never want to see another TheraBand), I'm really enjoying the iron.

Because I'm visiting relatives in Alabama ("Why're y'all goin' ta workout? You could get hurt doin' that. It's your vacation . . . "), I was at Performance Fitness in Trussville, Alabama, today, about 15 miles east of downtown Birmingham. Nice place -- a different selection of machines, but at least the same treadmill and a good selection of free weights, and some other guys actually trying to use the free weights, which was fun.

I did 20 minutes on the treadmill at a 7 incline at 2.75mph (I still can't walk real fast due to the injury, but it's coming up), to warm up properly.

They had a Nautilus ab machine, which isn't as good for full ROM as the one at my gym , but was okay. 80lbs x 50, 110 x 25.

Cybex Eagle Tricep Extensions: 65x20, 85x15, 105x5 (oh, well), 65x15
DB Triceps OH Extension: 20x15, 25x10, 20,10
Smith Machine Seated Press: 85x15, 85x12, 105x10, 105x8
Front Straight-Arm Raise w/Plate: 45x20, 45x12, 45x10, 45x8
DB Shrugs: 40x20, 45x12, 55x12, 55x10
Bent Over DB Lateral Raises: 15x20, 20x15, 20x12, 20x8

. . . I was fried. Hertz is going to hate me -- I got into the nice leather-seated rental car wearing a drenched t-shirt, and still sweating up a storm. I figure it's revenge for the smoker who had the car before me.

Rest tomorrow and Sunday. Legs on Monday.

Firedrake
08-28-08, 4:27 pm
So, swimming through the remnants of Tropical Storm Fay, I was back at Performance Fitness in Trussville, AL, on Monday morning . . .

a five minute warmup on the treadmill was all I wanted, since I was doing legs,

Then 80x35 on the Cybex Eagle Ab machine, and 25 reps on the Crunch bench.

Leg Extensions 70lbs x 20 reps, 60x15, 90x10
Leg Curls: 60x15, 70x15, 80x10
Hammer Leg Press (125lb. sled+) 4 plates (180) x 20, 180x20, 230x15, 280x15, 280x150 . . . because I went knees to chest on these, I was REALLY frickin' sore on Tuesday and Wednesday. Trying to get through DFW airport was, um, a challenge. Sitting in coach seats all the way across country was a real pain.

Seated Calf -- 90x20, 110x15, 130x15

Firedrake
08-28-08, 4:27 pm
. .. because I was getting on a plane.

Did back this morning, back at Bally's Fitness in Rowland Heights (east of L.A.)

Skipped treadmill 'cause I was running late, thanks to an oil spill on the freeway.

Crunch machine: 80x30 - lower foot setting; 100x20 - upper; 100 x 10 lower; 60x30 upper

Life Fitness back extension machine (I surprised myself on this one): 120x30, 150x30, 180x30, 210x30, 240x30, 270x30 and 300x30 -- I suspect I'll regret this in the morning, because I followed it with:

Wide grip pulldowns: 100x20, 120x12, 120x10, 80x15 (yet, my lats are for crap)

Rack Deadlifts: 135x15, 155x15, 175x12, 175x12 (breathing like a freight train after these)

Low Pulley Machine: 75x20 narrow grip; 100x20 wide overhand grip; 112.5 x 15 narrow grip; 125x15 wide overhand; 137.5x15, wide o/h; 150x12 wide o/h (sloppy)

I'd like to have gone on to some upright rows and bentover dumbbell rows, but I was already late for work, and just because I'm the supervisor doesn't mean I can get away with it.

Normally, tomorrow would be shoulders and triceps, but I'm thinking about going ahead and doing chest instead . . . with whatever else I can work in.

Firedrake
08-29-08, 4:33 pm
So I did go ahead with chest: I was up and down with stomach problems all night thanks to some questionable sashimi yesterday at lunch. My energy level was for crap.

However . . .

Crunch Machine: 100x30 lower, 100x26 upper, 100x15 upper, 60x15 lower

Thought I'd try the "Rotary Torso" machine for obliques: 70x20, both left and right directions, then 70x15, both L/R

Hammer incline bench: 90x15, 140x5, (wups! told you energy was down), 110x8, 110x6.

Hammer Pullovers: 105x20, 135x15, 135x12, 135x6 (started cramping)

PecDec (long handles): 60x20, 75x15, 90x12, 90x10.

Since I missed a day this week thanks to travel, and blew off biceps today, I'll probably go in and tackle arms and shoulders tomorrow, and see if I have the energy to get some treadmill in.

Not happy with today's performance at all.

Anyone got any ideas for tomorrow?

mjsef88
08-30-08, 4:22 pm
For all that you've gone thru I'm amazed that you're putting up these numbers. You really have a true Iron Will to keep at it. Consider me subscribed to this.

Maybe since your arms are already fried from chest and back, maybe hit them up again? Maybe it will spark some new growth.

Firedrake
08-30-08, 6:28 pm
For all that you've gone thru I'm amazed that you're putting up these numbers. You really have a true Iron Will to keep at it. Consider me subscribed to this.

Maybe since your arms are already fried from chest and back, maybe hit them up again? Maybe it will spark some new growth.

And so I did. I tried a different Bally's closer to my house, and was delighted to find it had a better selection of free weights and even more hammer strength machines.

Started with abs (I really need the core strength back)

Crunch machine: 84x40, 100x25, 100x15
Rotary Abs (Obliques) 65x20x3 L/R

Hammer Preacher Bench: 45x15x3 (I'm having problems with pain in my left elbow)

Icarian Dip Machine: 80x20, 12w0x20, 140x15, 160x10 (Gee, pretty soon I might be able to do real dips)

Upper Pulley Curls (first time I've tried these) 24x15,15, 12, 10

Triceps Pressdown -- V-Shaped handle: 45x15, 15, 15, 60x12

Seated DB Curl -- 20x15, 14, 15, 12

DB Shrugs (well, I was in front of the dumbbells, so . . .) 55x15, 60x12, 60x12 (my grip failed first -- I hadn't brought the Versa Grips)

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press -- 100x15, 12, 12, 8

I blew off treadmill -- they were full :-(

So: tomorrow I take off. Monday, I do legs. I need to work out a better split, though.

mjsef88
08-30-08, 7:07 pm
very badass workout.

A buddy of mine had the same pain problem with his elbow on preacher curls. I made him do some elbow therapy I learned from class (I'm studying to be a PT), and had him use a straight bar instead of the EZ curl bar.

Firedrake
08-30-08, 8:29 pm
As far as elbow therapy is concerned, I have a slight complication. I tore the left bicep completely off the elbow in 2002, and the operation to re-attach it damaged the nerves to the extensor muscles of the hand. (It damaged the Posterior Interosseous Nerve). I've never regained controlled supination of the hand. It can be maneuvered into supination, but it won't go there without help.

Oddly enough, I didn't do it lifting -- I was putting the Christmas decorations away, stumbled in the garage, and struck my elbow on the corner of a chest while hyperextended reaching for support.

If feels like tendinitis, but sometimes it -doesn't- hurt, which makes me wonder if it's just out of the correct channel.

I iced it when I came home today, and will probably hit the jacuzzi later.

And yes, I have a determination to get my ass back in shape. I've had six years of operations, therapy and weakness and I'm f¨ckin' tired of it. The list includes arthritis surgery in the left shoulder in 2003, tearing the right quad off the kneecap while rock climbing in 2004 (apparently due to the pinched nerve in the back), and the spinal surgery last year to correct all the accumulated damage that began in the Army 33 years ago (yes, I'm 54). That surgery has been a huge success, and the doctor has given me full rein to push it as hard as I feel like.

It's feeling so good to be back under the iron, but I confess I'm impatient *grin*.

Thanks for the support!

Firedrake
08-31-08, 4:51 am
It's 2 in the morning. About twenty minutes ago, I woke up out of a sound sleep, for no other reason than my body announced I was HUNGRY! Not peckish, not nibbly, but downright, stomach growling HUNGRY.

A bowl of oatmeal later, lets see if I can settle down.

I think my metabolism's gettin' a little freaky, here. I'd had chicken breasts, a sweet potato and green beans for dinner, about 6 p.m., and an apple and a piece of cheese about 10.

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

Pizzalamp
08-31-08, 9:46 am
It's 2 in the morning. About twenty minutes ago, I woke up out of a sound sleep, for no other reason than my body announced I was HUNGRY! Not peckish, not nibbly, but downright, stomach growling HUNGRY.

I think my metabolism's gettin' a little freaky, here. I'd had chicken breasts, a sweet potato and green beans for dinner, about 6 p.m., and an apple and a piece of cheese about 10.

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

i checked out your journey and consider me subbed
thats quite the journey youve been on w/ your injuries
and i hear ya on being hungry-that means your metablosim is on fire...fire baby!

mjsef88
08-31-08, 9:57 am

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

Happens often, to alot of us. Ha try to imagine what I'm going thru at night, taking in a boatload of calories every 1-1.5hrs. I'm trying to get my sleep cycle back to normal passing out around 2030hrs-2100hrs and waking up at 0500hrs. All summer I've been eating my last meal for the day at 2200hrs. I'll wake up and need something, so I put a jar of natty PB and a pre-mixed shake (only about 20g of pro.) by my bed.

Firedrake
09-01-08, 4:23 pm
What a difference -- I was swimming through horizontal rain to get to the gym in Alabama. Here in Ontario, CA, it's sunny and in the high 80s and sunny.

So:

Ab Crunch Machine: 84x50 (seat at level 5); 100x30 (seat at 4 for greater stretch), 100x20, 100x14
Hanging leg raises: 15x3 sets

Leg Extensions: 60x20, 70x15, 80x10, 80x10 (but the last two were real sloppy)

Seated Leg Curl: 100x15, 115x12, x12, x12

Leg Press: 2 plates per side x 20, 3 pps x15, x15, x12 (feeling really pwned by the pretty young thing who was beating my numbers, but I keep reminding myself I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs 16 months ago)

Hack Squats: 50x15, x12, x10 (blegh)

Calves: 170x20, 190x15, x12, x10

The only thing I -really- don't like about leg day is that the nice "swole" feeling that I had left over from arms on Saturday is now gone . . . everything's down in the legs!

msjef88: I haven't gotten quite to that stage yet -- I didn't wake up last night, but the fiancee fed me a fairly high-carb dinner. Not normal, but tasty occasionally.

I've had my PWO protein, but I'm still hungry. Probably going to attack some chicken breasts in a bit, or maybe some salmon. Anyone know where I can find an all-you-can-eat steak buffet? They'd be in REAL trouble right now.

Pizzalamp
09-01-08, 8:33 pm
youre rocking bro...stay strong mentally and youll be hitting it harder each time..never give up...good workout!

mjsef88
09-01-08, 8:56 pm
Solid leg day! Again, don't sweat the numbers, they'll shoot up out of no where. Also, I like the idea of putting the abs at the front of the workout, instead of hitting them up afterwards. I think I'll try that out tomorrow.

machineman
09-01-08, 9:53 pm
count me in! I did abs last week before my workout...it was a first and I will be doing it from now on...

Firedrake
09-02-08, 3:03 pm
Funny thing,

I hadn't thought I was having that great of a workout today, but I did seem to have a lot of energy, even if the weights seemed heavier. I felt even better after my PWO shake. The odd part is, I'm still a bit sore/swole/tight from Saturday's arm blitz (which I admittedly am enjoying), and my legs are -starting- to get sore after yesterday's legs workout, and my chest is probably going to HATE me come tomorrow, 'cause I changed up the exercises some, but all I can think of is MORE. MORE Iron, MORE exercises, MORE protein . . . I'm loathe to take a day off tomorrow, but I know I'll have a better back day if I wait 'till Thursday. Maybe I'll go swim or just do the treadmill . . .

Today's challenges:

Ab crunch machine (no, I know it doesn't take fat off the middle, but I need to tighten the core more to support the back): 90x50, 110x15 (u), 110x15 (l)

Hanging leg raises: 20, 15, then 12 reps.

Incline BB Press (changeup from Hammer incline): 115x10, 125x7, 125x5
Pullover Machine: 120x25, 135x15, x12, x8
Incline DB Flyes: 25x12, x12, x12, x8
Decline MTS Press (whatever that is -- it looked interesting): 30x20, 50x12, x8 (I guess it looks a little like a decline DB press . . . )
Life Fitness BP Machine: 90x12, x12, x12, x7

I got a much better "feel" on the incline BB Press than the Hammer machine version, so I think I'll stay with that. The flyes burned like a sumbitch, and that BP machine just made it tighter. I know my chest is relatively weak, but that'll come up fast, now that I can work my upper body without my back hurting. You can't imagine what a joy that is!

Last week, in Birmingham, I was wearing one of my "House of Pain" t-shirts, and the sweet young thing behind the desk said "I can't imagine why you'd want to wear that here . . . we're supposed to make you feel better!" I asked her if she'd ever worked legs so hard she had trouble walking or getting off the toilet. She looked blissfully confused, and asked "Why would I want to do that?" *sigh*

'drake

mjsef88
09-02-08, 4:44 pm
Last week, in Birmingham, I was wearing one of my "House of Pain" t-shirts, and the sweet young thing behind the desk said "I can't imagine why you'd want to wear that here . . . we're supposed to make you feel better!" I asked her if she'd ever worked legs so hard she had trouble walking or getting off the toilet. She looked blissfully confused, and asked "Why would I want to do that?" *sigh*

'drake

Funny story...just goes to prove that we're of a different breed.

Firedrake
09-05-08, 1:54 am
Yesterday was just cardio -- I spent half an hour on the treadmill at a 7.5 incline at 2.7 mph. Not much to some, I s'pose, but considering this time last year I couldn't walk 100 feet and had to wear a back brace to stand, I'm feelin' pretty stoked.

Then went and did some abs 90lbs x 50 reps on the crunch machine.

Then went and played with wrist curls for awhile -- BB @ 75lbs x 15 reps up in front, and then in back, for both sides, three sets.

DB wrist curls -- 15lbs DBs x 15 reps x 3 sets, each wrist

Then did them sideways - first thumbs up -- 15 lbs. x 25 reps x 2

Today (Thursday): Back Day

I overdid the Creatine supps -- trying to stack True Protein's "Augment" and Gaspari's "SuperPump 250" because the Augment had Beta-Alanine in it. I don't recommend this -- it had rather, um, "explosive" digestive effects, and sort of messed up doing abs today.

Started on the Hyperextension Machine again -- I set the back bar lower to reduce the leverage and make things harder, and it worked:

220 lbs. x 30 reps, 240 x 30, 270 x 30, 300 x 45.

(I think next week I'll do the rack deads first, and see what happens).

Lat Pulldowns: 100 x 20, 125 x 12, 137 x 9 (I will BEAT that logbook like a red-headed stepchild!), with stretches and burns (flaring the lats and squeezing them under load)

Rack Deads: 135 x 15, 135 x 15, 135 x15, 155 x 8, 155 x 8 (breathing like a freight train, here . . .)

Low Pulley Row: 125 x 28, 137.5 x 15, 150 x 8 (then I got pissed), 150 x 12

Bent Over DB Rows: 25 x 20, each side, 30 x 15, 35 x 12, 40 x 8

(I got P.O.'d when some sweet young thing in a pink leotard came over and bitched at me for dripping sweat on the floor (rubber mats). It was unsanitary, she said. I said "Do you mind terribly (unh!) if I wait till I finish the set (unh!) to clean it up?")

It was kind of cool driving the two miles to my office and being able to feel the erectors and back muscles tight and pumped. Since they couldn't do that this time a year ago, this is very cool!

Tomorrow: Arms, and maybe shoulders . . . still looking for advice on a split.

Thanks, everyone who's weighed in, so far.

'drake

Themostocles
09-05-08, 2:05 am
Wow, you have been though alot, and you are still at it. Love that mentality lol. Did you do your sword fighting stuff through a particular association? Great w/o's. -T.

rmeguy
09-05-08, 2:20 am
Hey bro, good w/o!! I have had a problem creating my own split. I get to excited in the gym and just go overboard. lol. But i got a link for you to take a look at. I am currently on W/O number 11 and its doin wonders.

http://www.animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=32

Hope this helps bro!!

Firedrake
09-06-08, 9:34 pm
Thanks for the headsup rmeguy . . .

So for Friday's fun:

Ab Crunch Machine: 90x56 (l), 100x23 (u), 110x20 (l)
Hanging Leg Raise: 15x3

EZBar BB Curls: 45x12, x15, x10

Machine Dips: 135x20, 150x12, x8, 135x10, 120x8 (I moved my hands back on the bars for lesser leverage to make them harder)

Pinwheel DB Curls: 15x20
Hammer DB Curls: 15x20

(I have trouble with my left bicep, thanks to adhesions from biceps repair surgery six years ago -- it's gonna hurt like a mofo when they come loose, but will be cool after that, and the PT assures me that they WILL come loose -- eventually)

Seated DB Curls, Alternating with Seated DB Press (don't know why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time -- the way my shoulders felt, it was! I think what happened is doing the curls forced the blood into the muscle, but switching to the presses up made the muscle empty out somewhat, causing a greater reaction on the next set. I'll keep doing these): 20x15[15], 20x12 [15], 20x10[12], 20x16[10]

Magnum Triceps Machine (extensions style): 50x20, 70x20, 100x8, 90x8, 90x10, 90x10

I picked up some Beta-Alanine to see how adding that will do, and will be adding some Waxy Maize Starch once I pick up my order on Monday.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
09-06-08, 9:49 pm
you're definately a true warrior drake, keep the hard work goin bro

Firedrake
09-06-08, 10:05 pm
you're definately a true warrior drake, keep the hard work goin bro

Thanks! I've been a warrior all my life. In the Army, doing medieval combat in armor, and under the iron. I'm not stopping now! The strategy may change, but the goal is the same:

VICTORY!

Themostocles
09-06-08, 11:32 pm
Thanks! I've been a warrior all my life. In the Army, doing medieval combat in armor, and under the iron. I'm not stopping now! The strategy may change, but the goal is the same:

VICTORY!

And it will be yours with that mentality, keep on keeping on bro. -T.

Firedrake
09-08-08, 5:44 pm
I'm a little down today, 'cause my legs aren't responding like I'd like them to. I knew that they were going to take awhile, because we're starting from scratch -- the right leg, in particular, spent a couple of years getting no ennervation (activation) of the extensor nerves, so the front quad was (and mostly still is) essentially flat.

I did at least get a good burn out of 'em and a good pump today, and the right vastus medialis is actually activating and starting to pull down toward the kneecap again, and the vastus lateralis at least seems to be contracting properly. Considering I tore them all off the kneecap in '04, and the nerve problems kept 'em from working right since then, I suppose I should be satisfied, but I'm not.

Ab Crunch machine: 100x50 (l), 100x20 (u), 80x30 (l), 80x15(u) (really "squoze" the abs at the top of the rep)

Leg Extension: 50x20, 50x20, 50x15 (again, focused on contracting the muscle at the top of the movement, for a 3-second hold (well, mostly)

Leg Press: 280x20, 280x20 (close stance -- amazing burn), 280x20, 280x15

Hack Squarts: 135x15, x10, x8

Seated Leg Curl: 105x15, 120x20, 120x15, 120x10

Seated Calf Raise: 100x20, 110x15, 120x12, 100x12 (long stretches at the bottom, real contraction at the top).

I actually felt like I could do more, and probably should at least have gone and walked it out on the treadmill for awhile, but I was late for work already.

I'm already thinking about tomorrow's chest day.

'drake

mjsef88
09-08-08, 5:51 pm
Still a good leg day none the less. Keep moving forward, that's all any of us can ever do.

Themostocles
09-09-08, 12:28 am
Still a good leg day none the less. Keep moving forward, that's all any of us can ever do.

x2. My question is, will you ever really be satisfied with your legs? -T.

mjsef88
09-09-08, 6:41 am
x2. My question is, will you ever really be satisfied with your legs? -T.

will anybody ever? Sorry to answer your question with another question. No, I most likely will never be.

Themostocles
09-09-08, 6:44 am
will anybody ever? Sorry to answer your question with another question. No, I most likely will never be.

Exactly my point. I don't think anyone in this game has ever set a goal and then stopped there. -T.

Firedrake
09-09-08, 3:44 pm
Exactly my point. I don't think anyone in this game has ever set a goal and then stopped there. -T.

True enough, but I want to get enough muscle in my legs back so they don't start looking like "old man" skinny legs. *grin* I can -feel- the muscle growing down there, but it doesn't show, and no, I don't really expect it to, yet -- I just wish it did. I may be 54, but I have a 25-year-old body ego.

Today's efforts were . . . uneven. My right knee "gave" slightly while I was doing my 10 minute warmup on the treadmill, and I'm afraid that shot my adrenalin all to hell. I'm still afraid of falling, since the last time I had a major fall (March 19, 2004), I tore the right quad completely off the kneecap. So, I react badly to even the potential.

However, this morning:

Ab Crunch: 100x50, 100x20, . . . just didn't feel like doing any more today.

Incline BP (I must have set the bench wrong -- it hit my shoulders more than my chest) 135x10, 145x7, x5. My shoulders were REALLY tight here. I feel pretty good, though, about the weight moving up a little.

Pullover machine: 120x20, 135x15, 150x9, 150x7, 100x15, just to flush things out.

Flat DB Flyes, S/S (no rest) with Cable Crossovers: 20x15/20x15, 20x15/20x15, 20x12/30x8 ('cause that's what the other guy left on the stack and I didn't notice till afterwards) I really felt the connection and motion in the muscle today -- that was very cool. I did follow these with DC's version of extreme chest stretches with the DB's, but I couldn't last more than about 45 seconds.

Magnum Bi-Angular BP Machine (I'm trying all the machines in my gym at least once, as an experiment): 50x20, 62.5x15, 75x10.

I'm thinking of changing out to DB Pullovers across the bench, 'cause I used to love those, but that'll have to wait till next week. I felt the machine doesn't get the outer/upper stretch the way I like to.

Tomorrow's cardio, but in the interest of not falling, I may do the bike rather than the treadmill. Or, just get back on the belt and push it. I'll see how I feel.

'drake

Themostocles
09-09-08, 11:29 pm
I understand the leg thing. I seriously screwed up my knee a decade a go, and when I get fatigued it will start to give out. It really freaks me out. My legs always lag behind the rest of me and it drives me crazy. -T.

Firedrake
09-10-08, 2:34 pm
First of all: Whoo-EE! About two this morning I rolled over on my stomach, and woke up. My chest hurt! That is to say, what ever I did yesterday actually got the right muscles activated and working, and my pecs were (and are) seriously sore. I'm so jazzed I can't believe it!

Today being cardio day, I got really crazy and hauled out my old nylon sweats. I put on the hooded sweatshirt over a long-sleeved "t" and hit the treadmill -- I was determined I wasn't going to let it throw me for a loop. 45 minutes later, having increased the incline from "7" to "10", and keeping a fairly steady 2.7mph, I was happily drenched with sweat and breathing heavy. Yes!! More of this, please. I need my endurance and wind back if I go back to fighting next spring.

Then did the ab crunch machine: 100x50, 100x35, 90x50
Hanging leg raises: 15 reps x 4 sets
Then wrist curls: 15x20, each arm, both up and down, then 15x25, x25, and x20

Tomorrow: back day -- gonna start with the rack deads first this time, and see what happens.

machineman
09-10-08, 4:09 pm
nice work bro.....keep it up like that and you will be more than ready for spring!!

Themostocles
09-10-08, 11:48 pm
nice work bro.....keep it up like that and you will be more than ready for spring!!

x2. The road maybe long, but atleast you have company lol. -T.

Firedrake
09-11-08, 1:55 pm
. . . that walking two miles uphill on a treadmill really does affect the low back . . .

Woke up this morning to discover my low back was very sore. Not painful -- but tight, like it had been worked. Then I remembered yesterday, and though I didn't think about it at the time, I got quite a low back workout on the treadmill.

So, today:

Ab Crunch: 100x50, 100x30, 100x20, 100x20
Good Mornings: 55x10, 55x10 [Here I discovered something else -- that, while my low back likes the idea of these, my legs aren't quite stable enough for them yet -- I tweaked, slightly, that tendon/ligament just inside and behind the right knee. Not bad, but enough to eliminate doing rack deads today]

Hammer Iso-Lateral High Rows -- interesting machine -- I may have to play with it some more: 180x10, 180x10 (2 plates per side, basically) I gonna have to fiddle with seat height to determine best ROM.

Lat Pulldowns: 112.5x15, 125x15, 125x15

Bent-Over DB Row: 35x20, 40x15, 45x12, 45x12 PB

Not a great day, but not bad, altogether. Not feeling the pump in my low back like last week, but I feel like I did okay.

Firedrake
09-11-08, 11:06 pm
I'm having to adjust my thoughts on diet and nutrition.

I came up in the day where, if you were trying to cut, you didn't eat before your morning workout, and you kept carbs as low as possible.

I was feeling real tired and weak at the end of my work day -- about 6:15, today, then I thought about what I'd had to eat thus far today, spaced out throughout the day:

Pre-WO protein + SuperPump 250 -- roughly 250 cal
Post-WO shake (MaxMuscle Tri-Whey) -- roughly 500 cal
Apple -- 80 cal
Lunch: 3 chicken/cheese sausages, some baby carrots -- 540 cal
Apple -- 80 cal
Lowfat yogurt -- 100 cal

So: 1550 calories, and the only real carbohydrates from the apples.

Not good.

To be fair, I do need to lose weight -- the caliper test shows me at over 30% bodyfat at 275. But I need to lose some of my old attitudes toward cutting weight. I -have- now bought some Waxy Maize Starch for a number of reasons; I just need to figure out what to do with it. It has been suggested I put some both in my pre-workout drink, to get the SP250 into the tissues, and some in the PWO shake to get the protein into the muscles.

I'm 54, which also means there are metabolic challenges. I'm wide open to suggestions and ideas.

'drake

machineman
09-12-08, 6:01 am
sorry, drake, can't help ya much on that one....someone will chime in and let ya know....workouts look good though.

Firedrake
09-12-08, 1:37 pm
I'm having to adjust my thoughts on diet and nutrition.

I came up in the day where, if you were trying to cut, you didn't eat before your morning workout, and you kept carbs as low as possible.

I was feeling real tired and weak at the end of my work day -- about 6:15, yesterday, then I thought about what I'd had to eat thus far today, spaced out throughout the day:

Pre-WO protein + SuperPump 250 -- roughly 250 cal
Post-WO shake (MaxMuscle Tri-Whey) -- roughly 500 cal
Apple -- 80 cal
Lunch: 3 chicken/cheese sausages, some baby carrots -- 540 cal
Apple -- 80 cal
Lowfat yogurt -- 100 cal

So: 1550 calories, and the only real carbohydrates from the apples.

Not good.

To be fair, I do need to lose weight -- the caliper test shows me at over 30% bodyfat at 275. But I need to lose some of my old attitudes toward cutting weight. I -have- now bought some Waxy Maize Starch for a number of reasons; I just need to figure out what to do with it. It has been suggested I put some both in my pre-workout drink, to get the SP250 into the tissues, and some in the PWO shake to get the protein into the muscles.

I'm 54, which also means there are metabolic challenges. I'm wide open to suggestions and ideas.

Firedrake
09-12-08, 1:49 pm
For a number of reasons, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so didn't have high hopes for this morning's workout, but hit the gym anyway to see what I could accomplish.

At a friend's suggestion (and he won the Jr. California heavyweight class in June, so he has diet pretty knocked), I added half a scoop of waxy maize starch to my pre-workout drink, and another to the creatine mix I drink during and after.

Now, I don't know if it was the change in nutrition, finding a groove or what, but WOW!

After a slow start on abs:

Crunch machine: 100x50, 80x50, 100x30

I moved on to arms:

DB Curl 20x15, 25x12, 25x10, 25x8
Machine Dips: 135x25, 150x15, 150x10
"Superman" curls: 20x20, 30x15, 30x12
Magnum Triceps machine: 60x20, 80x15, 100x12, 100x12 (was r-e-e-ally feeling the bottom head of the tricep at the end of the sets -- very cool)
DB Shoulder Press w/twist at top: 25x15, 25x12, 25x12, 25x10 (the first set started off weird, then I changed position slightly, and suddenly it was like I hit a groove, and jsut started pounding 'em out. It was freakin' awesome!) Then I moved on to:
Machine Lateral Raise: 50x15, 50x12, 50x12, 50x10 -- talk about a burn!

After all that, I -felt- like there was more I could do, but I was already late for work.

I'd also added WMS to my PWO shake; that went down real easy, and despite the short sleep and the workout, I feel seriously amped this morning!

Go fig! I'll take it!

Enjoy the weekend, everyone.

'drake

Lunatic001
09-12-08, 1:56 pm
Looking good bro...finally found your journey....we were at muscle beach last saturday and we have the Kolesium in Fullerton next month...just giving you heads up...keep training hard and smart...

Lunatic001

nawaaz
09-12-08, 3:10 pm
I've gone through your journey bro. Solid work. Keep going and we'll be on top. All of us. That's why we're the legion, and you're right. We can help each other - push each other to be the best, and to never settle for less.

Gunz1
09-12-08, 5:11 pm
great arm sesh bro... diet looks solid as hell too.. its a grind man.. dont give up... cutting is a process takes months and months... stick with it bro... you'll start to see the results your looking for...

Psycho77
09-12-08, 9:42 pm
Awesome spirit Drake. Goodluck on your journey. I'm subbed.

Pizzalamp
09-12-08, 9:57 pm
very good workout bro!!

and thats good u found a change in your diet that benefited u

Roland
09-12-08, 10:23 pm
Lookin' good brah.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
09-12-08, 10:29 pm
u continue to amaze me drake keep it up bro

Firedrake
09-15-08, 10:27 pm
Thank you all for your comments. It helps to know there are other Animals out there ready to do what's needed to build the muscle, cut the fat, and keep each other going.

After getting only 3 hours of sleep Friday night, and spending all day on my feet Saturday running a medieval tournament, (and sleeping from 10pm Saturday night to 11am yesterday) I wasn't expecting much today, but I got pissed and kept pushing.

Ab Crunches: 80x50, 80x3, 80x20

Horizontal Leg Press: (I don't know how the poundages on the stack relate to real numbers of plates, but I find I get better work out of my thighs and glutes here, without the stress on my low back. I know the numbers -look- wussy to me): 155x20, 175x15, 195x12, but then I was pissed I couldn't get 215 even off the pins, so I dropped it down to 135, and ran through 30 reps -- even if I was taking three breaths between every rep at the last. I concentrated on pushing through my heels, and got a hella pump out of it. I know I'm only beginning to actually feel like the legs are responding -- I'm still building nerve tissue, and trying hard to get back what I had.

Leg Extensions: 65x15, x15, x10, 35x20, and then the right leg only 15x10 -- I'm trying to get the right leg back up to snuff.

The seated leg curl was broken today, and my stomach -really- didn't want me laying on it, so I skipped leg curls today.

Instead, I tried some other machines:
Adductor machine: 110x20, x15, x10
Abductor machine: 110x20, x15, x10

Seated calf machine: 150x10, but then I got nasty-ass cramps in the calves, and gave up.

'drake

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
09-15-08, 10:52 pm
nice workout bro, good job making due with what u had man keep it up

Themostocles
09-15-08, 11:11 pm
Still got the fucking work done Brother, and weight is all relative. IF it was heavy for you, it was heavy enough. Great work 'Drake. -T.

REBORN1
09-15-08, 11:51 pm
Funny story...just goes to prove that we're of a different breed.

agree with that man, couple years ago i was training at my HS gym with one of my boys and we were doing 20 rep squats, and after the 4ths et my boy ran out of the gym looking for something to yack in lol, yacked right in front of the girls lax team lol i was dying but i went down there and in front of the girls i said cmon man dont be such a pussy we got another two sets left, all the girls just looked at me like i had four heads lol....o yea subd lol

shizz702
09-16-08, 7:30 am
Way to get it done bro, even after only getting a few hours sleep. It's good to push yourself like that and not make excuses. Don't worry about the weight, just keep pushing and in time you will stacking the plates.

SizeMatters
09-16-08, 1:20 pm
Funny thing,

I hadn't thought I was having that great of a workout today, but I did seem to have a lot of energy, even if the weights seemed heavier. I felt even better after my PWO shake. The odd part is, I'm still a bit sore/swole/tight from Saturday's arm blitz (which I admittedly am enjoying), and my legs are -starting- to get sore after yesterday's legs workout, and my chest is probably going to HATE me come tomorrow, 'cause I changed up the exercises some, but all I can think of is MORE. MORE Iron, MORE exercises, MORE protein . . . I'm loathe to take a day off tomorrow, but I know I'll have a better back day if I wait 'till Thursday. Maybe I'll go swim or just do the treadmill . . .

Today's challenges:

Ab crunch machine (no, I know it doesn't take fat off the middle, but I need to tighten the core more to support the back): 90x50, 110x15 (u), 110x15 (l)

Hanging leg raises: 20, 15, then 12 reps.

Incline BB Press (changeup from Hammer incline): 115x10, 125x7, 125x5
Pullover Machine: 120x25, 135x15, x12, x8
Incline DB Flyes: 25x12, x12, x12, x8
Decline MTS Press (whatever that is -- it looked interesting): 30x20, 50x12, x8 (I guess it looks a little like a decline DB press . . . )
Life Fitness BP Machine: 90x12, x12, x12, x7

I got a much better "feel" on the incline BB Press than the Hammer machine version, so I think I'll stay with that. The flyes burned like a sumbitch, and that BP machine just made it tighter. I know my chest is relatively weak, but that'll come up fast, now that I can work my upper body without my back hurting. You can't imagine what a joy that is!

'drake

damn this is one of the best journeys ive reado so far we all got you back man, sorry to hear sabout yoru injuries, your liek the bionic man now haha just kidding, and dont worry about chick behind the desk man, times leikt hat u gotta just smiel and walk away =)

Firedrake
09-16-08, 1:58 pm
damn this is one of the best journeys ive reado so far we all got you back man, sorry to hear sabout yoru injuries, your liek the bionic man now haha just kidding, and dont worry about chick behind the desk man, times leikt hat u gotta just smiel and walk away =)

Heh. I am . . . TITANIUM MAN! (You should see the x-rays) But I didn't get the cool jet boots or repluser rays . . . oh, well. I don't worry about her -- she just Doesn't Get It. And that's all right -- if this path were for everyone, the gyms would be too fuckin' crowded.

Thanks for the props, bros -- they're definitely appreciated.

Today's gig was . . . weird --

I tried something different for abs -- doing rope crunches -- I like the stretch better, but I'm still getting my balance on the contraction: 80x25, 100x20, 120x20.

Knee-ups across bench: 3 sets of 25

Incline BB Press: 135x8, 135x7, 115x8 -- for some reason I had trouble balancing the bar this morning, so I went back to the Hammer strength machine to finish up: 90x8, 90x10, 90x12 (wider grip)

Decline DB Pullovers (done at someone's suggestion -- these are a keeper) 30x15, 40x12, 40x10

Cable Crossovers: 30x20, 40x15, 40x10, 30x10

Flat DB Flyes: 25x15, 25x12, 25x11 (failure)

Magnum Bi-Angular - done as decline press: 50x20, 75x15, 75x12, 75x9 (failure)

I really like the pump from the decline pullover, and my cable crossovers came up nicely.

Tomorrow I grind out the treadmill for awhile . . .

Does everybody else get this? There are times I can't -stop- thinking about my next workout, trying to decide how best to hit it. I haven't been this stoked about lifting in a long time, and it feels damn good. I just wish I had more local buds to talk with about it. I'm also, I guess, a little weird for my age group; unlike most 50+ guys, I'm not content with "getting back in shape" -- I want to see how far I can go. If anything, I feel younger than I have in about 7 years. Certainly than since I started falling and tearing things off *grin*. The four surgeries are past, and I feel better than I have in years.

My roommate asked me how I keep doing it (it's only been a few weeks, really), and I said, it's already become a compulsion. I can't stop! ( . . . and, I don't WANT to!)

'drake

Gunz1
09-16-08, 3:08 pm
nice sesh bro!!! i like how you did the abs first... i do that sometimes too.. priortize those puppies.. it does make a difference, i stopped doing them tho since it affected my other bodypart.. if i did them before legs it was a serious struggle to get thru the workout... i know what you mean man... all the time my friends and my gf will be like why dont you just NOT go... its addicting bro... once your in the routine you become addcited to that feeling you get.. its undescribable...

D-Bomb
09-16-08, 5:38 pm
wow intense thread start!, glad i am on board here...keep it up dude...cut that 275lbs into 260lbs and keep working and working, until that diet is like coal going into a train, all of it being a needed resource to fuel the machine...in your case...to burn that excess.

Firedrake
09-16-08, 5:50 pm
I hadn't brought my food to work today, since I needed to run a couple of errands, and I found myself near dangerous territory when my blood sugar tanked.

Quiznos.

One large prime rib sandwich later, my stomach was mollified.

"I swear I don't know what happened, officer! One minute it was right here on the tray, and the next minute it was gone!"

Suddenly (within minutes) I started sweating profusely as my body started to metabolize it.

Then I went and got a massage at a place I know that uses real live massage therapists. You know you're a lifter when the therapist has to use knees and elbows to work through your muscles. 20 minutes, though, and my shoulders and neck feel MUCH happier.

Oh, well: maybe I'll do an hour on the treadmill tomorrow . . .

machineman
09-16-08, 6:05 pm
journey is looking good, drake.....keep it up, bro!

Lethal_Banana
09-16-08, 6:25 pm
Mmm, massage. I'd like some of that.

Good work on those rope crunches. They're not that easy!

I reeaally like to superset flyes and db presses. That's one killer combo ;)

Cheers,
LB

Pizzalamp
09-16-08, 9:55 pm
keep it going bro-stay strong! your workouts are looking solid

mmm quiznos

Themostocles
09-16-08, 11:28 pm
keep it going bro-stay strong! your workouts are looking solid

mmm quiznos

x2. That would hit the spot right now lol. Great w/o 'Drake. -T.

Firedrake
09-17-08, 3:35 pm
Thanks, guys . . . knowing you're keeping me honest helps.

Today was mostly cardio/abs. I was trying to intensify the time on the treadmill, rather than making it longer, so I did a couple of things. I added a hoodie under the nylon sweats, to really warm things up, and put on my 10lb per ankle leg weights. Boy did that do the trick! Mind you, I forgot the "misery factor" of trying to do that on a treadmill without a fan . . . things got pretty drippy.

I started with abs: I really like rope crunches; I get a full range of motion, from stretch to crunch, and I can focus on the full contraction: 80x25, 130x35, 140x25 . . . I think I've found my groove, here -- my grip on the rope is actually the hardest part for me; I love making the abs burn.

Then went back to my crunch machine, changed the seat a little, and got a better move -- 110x25, 110x20

The treadmill I did in two intervals: 15 min x 7 incline x 2.8, and 15 min x 5 incline x 2.8. Definitely more swole in the thighs from it this week, and more effort to breathe. Yeah, this works.

Went then and did DB wrist curls: 20x20 -- each angle, left and right; 20x20, and 20x15 -- forearms are seriously tight. Getting to work and typing is . . . entertaining.

Played with shrugs -- did 35lb DBs x 25 reps, and 60 lb x 12. I felt it, but not a lot -- will try more when I have the straps on. Did a variation where I bring it up in front, roll the shoulder around back, and let it down in back. Great stuff.

Tomorrow, I see what damage I can do to my back! (not serious damage of course; just enough to make it sore).

Quiznos was yesterday -- today I get chicken breasts and broccoli . . . *sigh*

mjsef88
09-17-08, 5:37 pm
lighter days like cardio/abs are good for the CNS. Good to see you still kick some ass.

Enjoy the chicken, I had pizza by the way!

09-17-08, 8:40 pm
First off.... Congrats on the recovery and being able to push the weight that you are despite your past injuries....

In regards to your post in my journey:

I like doing my deadlifts last now. I used to do them at the beginning of my workouts and the effort put forth to move 405 for reps or 315 for 3 sets of 12 or more was KILLING the rest of my workout. Now, I do "Shak's back routine" and throw my deads in at the end, via his advice. I can still pull the heavy weight but, I know that I can use every last ounce of energy I have left to Pull with instead of having the idea that i need to save some for the rest of my workout in my head ya know. Happy lifting and feel free to ask questions or comment. Peace.

Phil

shizz702
09-17-08, 9:08 pm
Nice session there bro, always nice to take it light and easy every now and then. Looking foward to seeing you kill it with the back sesion tomorrow!

Firedrake
09-18-08, 2:22 pm
Interesting session, if a bit short 'cause I had to run to get to a meeting at work.

Memo for future reference: Fish Oil Caps in the morning before ab work are a BAD idea. Fishy burps make one unhappy. Also, for some reason I didn't feel the Beta-Alanine "flush" this morning.

Rope Crunches: 120x25, 150x25, 150x40, 160x40 -- I solved my grip problem on the rope by using some VersaGrips, and really went to town -- boy are my abs tight now -- under the fat, that is *grin*. It's weird -- the machine crunches seem harder to do -at the time-, but I'm getting a LOT more effect from the rope crunches.

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 87.5x20, 125x15, 125x15, 137.5x10 + squeezes PB

Hyperextension Machine: 240x50, 300x45, 300x45 (Pet Peeve: the guy that sat there for 5 minutes between each of his three 10- partial rep sets with 60lbs -- I finally had to ask if I could work in, and he wandered off . . .)

Low Pulley Row (wide grip, squeezing scapulae together and bringing lats back) 137.5x20, 150x18, 150x15, 175x9! PB

Had wanted to do upright rows and some DB Bent-Over rows, but was out of time. Oh well: there's always next week.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

'drake

Gunz1
09-18-08, 4:15 pm
Interesting session, if a bit short 'cause I had to run to get to a meeting at work.

Memo for future reference: Fish Oil Caps in the morning before ab work are a BAD idea. Fishy burps make one unhappy. Also, for some reason I didn't feel the Beta-Alanine "flush" this morning.

Rope Crunches: 120x25, 150x25, 150x40, 160x40 -- I solved my grip problem on the rope by using some VersaGrips, and really went to town -- boy are my abs tight now -- under the fat, that is *grin*. It's weird -- the machine crunches seem harder to do -at the time-, but I'm getting a LOT more effect from the rope crunches.

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 87.5x20, 125x15, 125x15, 137.5x10 + squeezes PB

Hyperextension Machine: 240x50, 300x45, 300x45 (Pet Peeve: the guy that sat there for 5 minutes between each of his three 10- partial rep sets with 60lbs -- I finally had to ask if I could work in, and he wandered off . . .)

Low Pulley Row (wide grip, squeezing scapulae together and bringing lats back) 137.5x20, 150x18, 150x15, 175x9! PB

Had wanted to do upright rows and some DB Bent-Over rows, but was out of time. Oh well: there's always next week.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

'drake

hell yea bro.. nice work on the back... love the squeezes

Themostocles
09-18-08, 11:28 pm
Do you do those rope crunches kneeling or standing? -T.

Firedrake
09-19-08, 1:45 am
Do you do those rope crunches kneeling or standing? -T.

kneeling, with a stretch from full extension trying to contract everything from the bottom of the rectus abdominus upwards, and exhaling in the process. That's how I was taught.

Themostocles
09-19-08, 1:51 am
kneeling, with a stretch from full extension trying to contract everything from the bottom of the rectus abdominus upwards, and exhaling in the process. That's how I was taught.

They are both good methods, was just curious. I have noticed the standing ones help more with squatting and deadlifting. -T.

sanga
09-19-08, 3:04 am
Lol fish oil caps can repeat on you mate, I always take mine with a meal well away from training especialy an ab session.

Sometimes with stretching the abs they ae so sore the next day, feels like I`ve been puinched in the gut!

Firedrake
09-19-08, 3:04 pm
Sanga: Yeah, I took the fish oil after my workout with my PWO shake today. Yeah, the abs are sore, but I love it -- I really do! It feels like my body's working again!

This week, though, has been real distracting, contentious, and long at work, full of stupid meetings and stupider people. My focus hasn't been real good -- I think I need a new playlist for my iPod -- I can predict what's coming next.

Anyway, for today:

AbCrunch machine: 100x50, 100x35, 110x20 (still real sore from yesterday, so I left it here)

Incline DB Curls(together): 20x12, 25x13, 25x8 -- I let the stretch hang at the bottom, which makes for quite a difference.

DB Overhead Triceps Extension: 25x15, x12, 30x10, x8

"Superman" Cable Curls: 30x12, 30x15, 40x10 (w/30 sec. DC-biceps stretch after this set -- I couldn't last 60), 40x6 PB

Machine Dips: 150x15, 165x7, 165x8 --something wrong with position today -- my shoulders were bugging me. PB

Precor Horizontal Hammer Curls: 30x15, 40x15, 50x12

I blew off shoulders, both 'cause they were bugging me and I was increasingly thinking about work -- wish I had a partner to keep me on track some days. The good news is, I got into the office and found most of the crap had been solved by a Director and VP getting involved. Now I can go back to paying attention.

Interestingly, between the DB Extensions and the DB "Hanging" curls, my arms seem particularly sore and pumped already. Tomorrow should be loads of fun. I have to do a lot of gesturing while giving a lecture -- I may look a little weird.

SizeMatters
09-19-08, 3:10 pm
great arm day bro, those superman's are where its @

Themostocles
09-19-08, 9:16 pm
Congrats on the personal bests, and I bet you were pumped. What do you do for a living? -T.

SizeMatters
09-19-08, 9:19 pm
x2 what do you do?

Psycho77
09-19-08, 11:12 pm
Keep it up Firedrake! Those ab works are just sick.

Firedrake
09-19-08, 11:20 pm
Congrats on the personal bests, and I bet you were pumped. What do you do for a living? -T.

I'm still pumped, and having had to pick up something on the way out of the office, I can already tell I'm going to be seriously sore tomorrow.

x2 what do you do?

I'm senior editor for an online electronics/computer marketing firm. We're in the process of starting a new division, and I"m having to edit ALL the site's text, which is leading to review of the main site's text. In the meantime, I'm having to edit all the copy created by six writers for the products we'll be putting on the site for Cyber Monday. This is to say, somewhere around 8,000.

I throw the iron around to deal with the stress. Some days, it doesn't always work. *grin*

Themostocles
09-19-08, 11:26 pm
Cool sounding job, especially for an old school knight like you. -T.

mjsef88
09-20-08, 12:27 am
I think I need a new playlist for my iPod

Take care of buisness then...ofcourse I don't need to tell you that after looking at your previous workouts.

Themostocles
09-20-08, 12:33 am
I think I need a new playlist for my iPod

What kind of music do you listen to? -T.

Firedrake
09-20-08, 11:53 am
What kind of music do you listen to? -T.

A lot of old-school power metal, and a bunch of new stuff. I still love Manowar, even if they did get kind of self-parodying. Dragonforce, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica, Iced Earth, Slipknot, Distrurbed, Waylander, Agallaoch, Tyr, Accept, Aired L'amh, Amon Amarth, Ancient, Battlecrown, Battlelore, Cruachan, Dalriada, Dio, Ensiferum, Pantera, Scorpions, Warlord, Wintersun, Wolfsmare . . . and that's just some of what's on there.

When I'm not in the gym, I also like a lot of Celtic folk music, Bagpipes (both Scottish and Uilliean [or Irish]), Classical, and even soundtracks of the films I've enjoyed.

There's a discussion on the Forvm somewhere about it . . .

'drake

Firedrake
09-20-08, 12:01 pm
Take care of buisness then...ofcourse I don't need to tell you that after looking at your previous workouts.

It's funny -- I keep looking at my numbers, and think they're kind of wussy -- yeah, I know I'm just getting back to it, but I -used- to squat 350 for reps without a problem, and sometimes 405-425. Now, I would fall over in half a second if I even got it off the pins.

You compliment my ab work, but because of the weight I gained after the injuries and operations, _I_ sureashell can't see it. Yeah, I -feel- it, and that helps, but hell, I want to -look- like a lifter again.

Yeah, I'm working hard, but I want to be working -harder-, if you know what I mean. I am really enjoying feeling my body respond, so part of me wants to be back in the gym more often making it happen, but I know that won't help, intellectually.

I feel like I'm still just getting back into the groove, and it's going to be several months before I feel like I can call myself a bodybuilder again. Then again, what am I doing every day in the gym? Building my body.

The encouragement I'm getting here means the world to me -- you guys understand, accept, and motivate like no other group I've found.

Thanks again,

'drake

mjsef88
09-21-08, 1:15 am
it's going to be several months before I feel like I can call myself a bodybuilder again.

good god man, what are you doing? "building your body" = to me "body-builder". Keep it up. Obsitcles are nothing else but road bumps... you've already proven that you can surpass them.

To be honest (and a little bit bold), you've "sure-as-hell" proven that you're worth it in this game.

TL;DR: get your head out of your ass (in the most respectfull way possible) and realize you're doing what few can actually do....rebound after a serious injury.

All the best, and I'll be here if you ever need me,

-Matt

Themostocles
09-21-08, 11:10 am
good god man, what are you doing? "building your body" = to me "body-builder". Keep it up. Obsitcles are nothing else but road bumps... you've already proven that you can surpass them.

To be honest (and a little bit bold), you've "sure-as-hell" proven that you're worth it in this game.

TL;DR: get your head out of your ass (in the most respectfull way possible) and realize you're doing what few can actually do....rebound after a serious injury.

-Matt

x2. Couldn't have said it nearly as well. -T.

sanga
09-21-08, 3:57 pm
A lot of old-school power metal, and a bunch of new stuff. I still love Manowar, even if they did get kind of self-parodying. Dragonforce, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica, Iced Earth, Slipknot, Distrurbed, Waylander, Agallaoch, Tyr, Accept, Aired L'amh, Amon Amarth, Ancient, Battlecrown, Battlelore, Cruachan, Dalriada, Dio, Ensiferum, Pantera, Scorpions, Warlord, Wintersun, Wolfsmare . . . and that's just some of what's on there.

When I'm not in the gym, I also like a lot of Celtic folk music, Bagpipes (both Scottish and Uilliean [or Irish]), Classical, and even soundtracks of the films I've enjoyed.

'drake

I have Disturbed on most of the time, especially during squatting and deadlifting.

SizeMatters
09-21-08, 4:59 pm
yeah same here, palthough ive been noticing powerman 5000 has been on alot same with rammstein

machineman
09-21-08, 5:03 pm

-Matt

X3.....and of course with all due respect!

Firedrake
09-22-08, 3:03 pm
Thanks, bros -- it's always good to "feel the love" *grin*.

Legs today were okay, but weird. I know the doctor told me there'd be days they'd respond and days they wouldn't, due to the nerve regrowth issues, but it's a real bitch sometimes, then I get pissed off and do it, anyway.

Started with abs, as usual -- I -really- like the rope crunches 'cause they warm up my whole core. I had an issue with the kid using the machine for triceps pressdowns, 'cause he was complaining my sets were too long. 140x50, 160x50, 170x30, 170x30 (the third set got interrupted slightly -- the blind guy who works out at the same time I do kept running into my feet with his cane -- I can't get mad at the guy; he's workin' hard and making it happen, but it does kind of interfere with concentration when he runs into me . . .

Horizontal leg press: This is the one I'm having trouble feeling -- it was better in general last week, however: 175x18, 195x12, 215x5 PB, 135x20 -- I finally broke 215 off the pins -- that's a plus, but I was having trouble feeling it driving through my heels.

Hacks: 75x20, 95x20, 115x20 -- better than expected; the extensor muscles are firing! (This is a bigger deal than you might understand -- the extensors in the right leg weren't working at all before the back surgery)

Leg Curls: 70x20, 90x10, 80x10 (meh)

Adductor machine: 120x20, 130x20, 140x18, 140x15
Abductor machine: 120x20, 120x15 (hip cramped up)

Seated Calves: 130x15, 130x12, 130x10, 100x25 -- I'm having trouble getting full range out of the calves, which is why I dropped the weight on the last set and went for reps.

Lunatic001
09-22-08, 4:19 pm
Good stuff bro....I answered your question at my journey....hopefully you'll make the Socal event at Fullerton.....

Lunatic001

scals
09-22-08, 6:01 pm
Workouts are looking solid man. Keep up the good work.

machineman
09-22-08, 6:05 pm
great job, drake......sounds like the leg is starting to come around...keep gettin' it, bro...

Pizzalamp
09-22-08, 7:31 pm
seriously good job on legs dude!

u gotta be sore the day after-def putting in some hard work...

TheDarkHalf
09-22-08, 11:35 pm

'drake

Hey man just droppin in! I like your taste in music - Iced Earth and Dragonforce own - I haven't heard of the majority of the rest of those bands, but i'm always looking for some good stuff to throw on the Ipod. I just got the new all that remains and trivium album, you should definitely give them a listen to if you aren't familiar with them.

Workouts are looking solid as well. Keep up the good work, you'll get where you want to be in no time.

Themostocles
09-22-08, 11:41 pm
Great day bro, those legs with get there. Congrats on the PB. LMAO at the blind guy. You gotta give the guy props, but I can only imagine getting hit with a cane while doing crunches. -T.

pmug0000
09-23-08, 12:32 am
I just read your story and that's awesome that you're still able to do hack squats and work your legs. I'm along for this ride, keep up the good work!

Gunz1
09-23-08, 2:49 pm
It's funny -- I keep looking at my numbers, and think they're kind of wussy -- yeah, I know I'm just getting back to it, but I -used- to squat 350 for reps without a problem, and sometimes 405-425. Now, I would fall over in half a second if I even got it off the pins.

You compliment my ab work, but because of the weight I gained after the injuries and operations, _I_ sureashell can't see it. Yeah, I -feel- it, and that helps, but hell, I want to -look- like a lifter again.

Yeah, I'm working hard, but I want to be working -harder-, if you know what I mean. I am really enjoying feeling my body respond, so part of me wants to be back in the gym more often making it happen, but I know that won't help, intellectually.

I feel like I'm still just getting back into the groove, and it's going to be several months before I feel like I can call myself a bodybuilder again. Then again, what am I doing every day in the gym? Building my body.

The encouragement I'm getting here means the world to me -- you guys understand, accept, and motivate like no other group I've found.

Thanks again,

'drake

stay stronger brother!!! were all hear for support.. thats what this forum is all about man.. dont worry about lifting the heavy ass weights you used to.. focus on getting back slowly and surely, muscle memory is a beautiful thing... you got my support homeboy... for sure!!! workouts continue to look good buddy keep up the solid work and the positive attitude.. good things are coming your way

Firedrake
09-23-08, 4:44 pm
Thanks, Gunz, pmug, and -T. -- I appreciate the comments!

Today's chest workout was uneven.

I did my ab crunch machine because the machine for rope pulls was being hogged -- 110lbs x 100 reps. meh.

HS Incline Press: 90x17, 110x13, x6 , x5, 90x6 -- I don't know if I had the seat wrong or what, but I wasn't feeling it right.

DB Decline Pullover: 40x15, x15, x12 PB . . . okay, so I've only done 'em twice -- I still went up on the log book *grin*

Flat DB Flyes: 25x15, x15, x15 +30 second stretch (I can't quite hold a minute yet)

Cable Crossovers: 40x10m x8, 30x10, 30x15 -- weights are lower this week because last week I did them -before- flyes, but the cables were busy

Magnum Decline Press: 75x10, 75x13, 75x10 -- not as many sets as last week, but went up on starting weight.

As I said -- not a bad day, but it didn't feel quite right, and I'm not sure why. Oh, well -- on to the next thing!

machineman
09-23-08, 5:08 pm
good numbers drake....good call that if you weren't feeling it, just move on.....

scals
09-23-08, 6:17 pm
Looks like some solid work.

Psycho77
09-23-08, 8:51 pm
Thanks, Gunz, pmug, and -T. -- I appreciate the comments!

Today's chest workout was uneven.

I did my ab crunch machine because the machine for rope pulls was being hogged -- 110lbs x 100 reps. meh.

HS Incline Press: 90x17, 110x13, x6 , x5, 90x6 -- I don't know if I had the seat wrong or what, but I wasn't feeling it right.

DB Decline Pullover: 40x15, x15, x12 PB . . . okay, so I've only done 'em twice -- I still went up on the log book *grin*

Flat DB Flyes: 25x15, x15, x15 +30 second stretch (I can't quite hold a minute yet)

Cable Crossovers: 40x10m x8, 30x10, 30x15 -- weights are lower this week because last week I did them -before- flyes, but the cables were busy

Magnum Decline Press: 75x10, 75x13, 75x10 -- not as many sets as last week, but went up on starting weight.

As I said -- not a bad day, but it didn't feel quite right, and I'm not sure why. Oh, well -- on to the next thing!

Still a solid workout man. Tho your not feeling it, a work out is still a workout for me. Much better than just sitting at home, right?

Themostocles
09-23-08, 11:22 pm
A personal best is a persone best, even if it is the first time you have done it lol ;). Off days happen, and you still got the work done. T.

js71474
09-24-08, 3:48 pm
Got some good stuff going on in here bro!! I'm subbed in here from now on! Thanks for the good words in my journey! I agree with T, a PB is a PB and you are getting them so nice work!!

Firedrake
09-24-08, 4:09 pm
Thanks, everyone who chimed in.

Thanks to some serious drama at the office yesterday, I was just too dragged out to do cardio this morning, and slept an extra hour -- back to the back tomorrow!

I really hate incompetent people who get in the way of getting a job done, then claim you're being "rude" for having gotten it right the first time. I hate office politics, and I REALLY hate when "life" drags me out so bad I can't hit the gym -- this is the first time since I started back up that I've let things slip, and I'm angsting about it.

Oh, just hit it all the harder tomorrow.

'drake

js71474
09-24-08, 4:16 pm

Thanks to some serious drama at the office yesterday, I was just too dragged out to do cardio this morning, and slept an extra hour -- back to the back tomorrow!

I really hate incompetent people who get in the way of getting a job done, then claim you're being "rude" for having gotten it right the first time. I hate office politics, and I REALLY hate when "life" drags me out so bad I can't hit the gym -- this is the first time since I started back up that I've let things slip, and I'm angsting about it.

'drakeOffice politics does suck....BAD!! I feel your pain bro! Don't sweat it man, sometimes life happens and you have to make adjustments, just take your frustration out on the iron...it will never give you any lip for doing it right. Don't beat yourself up over it, you know what they say s**t happens, but you have already laid it out for tomorrow so you are ahead of the game!

Gunz1
09-24-08, 4:41 pm
damn dude we all have those days at the the gym bro... shit fuckin happens and it sux... all you can do is focus in and try to clear your head of it and take it to the max tomrw... good luck brother with that office bs politics!!!

Firedrake
09-24-08, 6:08 pm
Thanks again, guys -- the nice thing? Despite not really feeling right with the leg workout on Monday or chest yesterday, both parts are sore, and the chest particularly so, even to the touch and with the BCAAs I took.

Moral of the story -- just keep pushin'!

'drake

firsthorseman97
09-24-08, 6:56 pm
I like what I see happenin' in here. Consider me subbed!

machineman
09-24-08, 8:01 pm
here ya on the office politics, bro.....our OT got taken from us right in the middle of a job due to politics.....now the job will be late and people are already trying to blame us.....go figure....punish the iron, bro....it loves it!

Firedrake
09-24-08, 8:10 pm
I like what I see happenin' in here. Consider me subbed!

Thanks! I like what's going on in your world, too. I've sent you a friend request in MySpace.

Psycho77
09-24-08, 9:07 pm

'drake

I feel ya drake. I left my old work coz of office politics. I'm not the type to engage in an ass kissing contest for the bigger handout. I started my own biz, now I'm the boss hahahaha. In life, things will happen sooner or later which will try to derail us. Just move on and overcome. I find those times to be the best times to workout. Just me and the weight, no work, no family, no nagging clients.

mustgetbig
09-24-08, 9:08 pm
looking good up in heree consider me subbed!!!

Pizzalamp
09-24-08, 10:09 pm
thats crazy w/ all the office bs-hope things go smoother soon

rob_in_korea
09-25-08, 2:15 am
You have certainly been through a hell of a lot drake but you're still managing to get it done in the gym. Great workouts and thanks for stopping by my journey.

-Rob

Themostocles
09-25-08, 2:22 am
Thanks! I like what's going on in your world, too. I've sent you a friend request in MySpace.

Where is my myspace request lol? -T.

Gunz1
09-25-08, 3:48 pm
hahahha i think its fuckin halarious that you asked the girl at the front desk if she ever trained legs so hard that she couldnt get off the toilet!!! fucking awesome... nice workout man... few machines there ive never heard of before.. id like to see what theyre all about... keep up the solid work brother!!

Firedrake
09-25-08, 8:01 pm
Where is my myspace request lol? -T.

I dunno -- where are you on MySpace? I use my SCA name: "Jared" for "Baron Jared Alexandre Blaydeaux".

'drake

Firedrake
09-25-08, 8:02 pm
You have certainly been through a hell of a lot drake but you're still managing to get it done in the gym. Great workouts and thanks for stopping by my journey.

-Rob

Rob -- you're a serviceman -- you're my brother, by default. As a vet, I'll never forget those still in uniform. That you're a lifter, too, just adds iron to the connection.

Keep it strong!

'drake

Firedrake
09-25-08, 8:08 pm
hahahha i think its fuckin halarious that you asked the girl at the front desk if she ever trained legs so hard that she couldnt get off the toilet!!! fucking awesome... nice workout man... few machines there ive never heard of before.. id like to see what theyre all about... keep up the solid work brother!!

Heh. Tell me you haven't had days like that; or days where you're so sore you can't sleep, or you come out of the gym so brain befogged you're not sure where you're going. I may be middle aged, but I still live for that shit. It drove my physical therapist crazy, because I'd push harder during PT after my back surgery than he thought I ought to. I just told him to stop me if he honestly thought I was gonna injure myself -- otherwise, let me go as hard as I could. Hell, some days, that's how I know I'm alive!

I spent too many years doing medieval combat in full armor -- running around a field beating people over the head with broadsword, pike or mace. When you've run yourself into the ground, and done your absolute fuckin' best, and can't move another inch, THEN it's time to rest. Not until.

Today was a good example -- I woke up about 4 am with a killer migraine -- I took my meds, laid back down to sleep till they kicked in, THEN got up, took my supps, went to the gym, and had the best back day I've had yet. (I'll post more about THAT in a minute.)

'drake

TheDarkHalf
09-25-08, 9:19 pm
Where's that post about back day???

Firedrake
09-25-08, 9:39 pm
Where's that post about back day???

Since you asked so nicely *grin*:

I wasn't expecting much out of today's workout -- I'd awakened at 4am with a fuckin' migraine, took my meds and slept another few hours -- told the office I'd be in late. I didn't want to completely blow off the workout though, after sloughing off yesterday's cardio.

Having (mostly) recovered, I headed on in about 11.

I was feeling okay when I got to the gym, and started in with my rope crunches -- I don't know if I was doing a different angle or what, but they seemed to be even more effective (and harder) today. 150x60 reps, 170x50, 190 (stack) x25 -- killer set, and really got me warmed up and moving.

I went on to do the rotary oblique machine, which I hadn't done lately: 70lbs x 25 reps each direction, x 2 sets -- no rest between.

Moved to lat pulldowns: 87.5x25, 112.5x15 (really feeling it my lats for a change -- maybe I finally have the form right again), 125x10, long stretch, 125x10, 137.5x10 -- more stretch.

Killer set -- really felt GOOD.

Hyperextension machine; I can't wait till my legs are strong enough to do rack deads and good mornings well -- these get tedious: 270x50, 270x50, 300 (stack)x25 -- they pump the lower back like crazy -- but I'd appreciate suggestions on what else to do for the lower back -- I wish to hell my gym had a reverse hyper machine.

Low pulley row -- wide grip: 150x15, 150x15, 175x15, 175x9 (fail)

BentOver DB Row, ss w/straight arm pulldowns: 35x15 into 50x15, x 3 sets -- killer lat pump, serious huffing, puffing and sweating going on.

I was done. This felt REALLY good, and I felt seriously swole, and still do, several hours later. The endorphin high is especially good today.

Looking forward to arms in the morning . . .

'drake

machineman
09-25-08, 9:41 pm
you got in some real good work for not feeling 100%, drake....nice work, bro...

pmug0000
09-25-08, 9:44 pm
I was done. This felt REALLY good, and I felt seriously swole, and still do, several hours later. The endorphin high is especially good today.

'drake

I LOVE that feeling!!! It's your body telling you that you had a great workout, nice job!!

Psycho77
09-25-08, 10:31 pm

I wasn't expecting much out of today's workout -- I'd awakened at 4am with a fuckin' migraine, took my meds and slept another few hours -- told the office I'd be in late. I didn't want to completely blow off the workout though, after sloughing off yesterday's cardio.

I was feeling okay when I got to the gym, and started in with my rope crunches -- I don't know if I was doing a different angle or what, but they seemed to be even more effective (and harder) today. 150x60 reps, 170x50, 190 (stack) x25 -- killer set, and really got me warmed up and moving.

I went on to do the rotary oblique machine, which I hadn't done lately: 70lbs x 25 reps each direction, x 2 sets -- no rest between.

Moved to lat pulldowns: 87.5x25, 112.5x15 (really feeling it my lats for a change -- maybe I finally have the form right again), 125x10, long stretch, 125x10, 137.5x10 -- more stretch.

Hyperextension machine; I can't wait till my legs are strong enough to do rack deads and good mornings well -- these get tedious: 270x50, 270x50, 300 (stack)x25 -- they pump the lower back like crazy -- but I'd appreciate suggestions on what else to do for the lower back -- I wish to hell my gym had a reverse hyper machine.

BentOver DB Row, ss w/straight arm pulldowns: 35x15 into 50x15, x 3 sets -- killer lat pump, serious huffing, puffing and sweating going on.

'drake

Awesome workout FD!

TheDarkHalf
09-25-08, 11:25 pm

'drake

Haha sorry, next time i'll say please =p

Killer work out bro, can't wait to see what happens when you get into full swing!

Themostocles
09-25-08, 11:31 pm
I dunno -- where are you on MySpace? I use my SCA name: "Jared" for "Baron Jared Alexandre Blaydeaux".

'drake

I am under Themostocles there too. -T.

Themostocles
09-25-08, 11:36 pm
you got in some real good work for not feeling 100%, drake....nice work, bro...

I LOVE that feeling!!! It's your body telling you that you had a great workout, nice job!!

x2. Definitely a great w/o. What type of meds do you take for your migraines? MOst of the ones I have taken make me sick. As for reverse hypers, I have used my kitchen table to do these. I don't have a wife to object so I get away with it. -T.

shizz702
09-26-08, 12:07 am
Nice session bro! Glad to see you were all pumped up and felt good afterward. Looking foward to seeing you hit up them rack deads. When do you plan on doing them?

Firedrake
09-26-08, 12:43 am
Nice session bro! Glad to see you were all pumped up and felt good afterward. Looking foward to seeing you hit up them rack deads. When do you plan on doing them?

What I'm waiting on is leg strength. The nerves are still regrowing to my legs a year after the back surgery (they only grow about a millimeter a month). At the time of the surgery last year, I couldn't step up onto a four-inch curb without support -- that's how weak they were. Stairs were a near impossibility if I didn't hold onto both bannisters.

At least now, I can do a full deep-knee bend without support, and walk up and down stairs without holding on -- albeit slowly. My leg press weights will show you how weak the legs -have- been. Hell, when I started PT in January, I couldn't do leg extensions with ten pounds. Given what I used to do before the back started screwing with the nerves (I was squatting ATG 350 for reps in 2001 . . .), this is frustrating -- but I -am- making progress, every day.

And I'll keep making progress. Each bit I see makes me hungry for more.

Thus, I'm probably a good couple of weeks yet from being able to do rack deads regularly. I -can- do them right now, but I confess I'm not steady. Good mornings don't work yet, either, for the same reason.

I wish there were something else I could do seated to strengthen the low back. Like I said, I'm wide open to suggestions. I've thought about seated GMs off the end of a bench . . . but I'm not sure how to arrange it.

Themostocles
09-26-08, 12:48 am
Look on EliteFTS, the have a seated good morning exercise. It might work for you. -T.

sanga
09-26-08, 3:06 am
Workouts are looking intense mate.

Migranes, nasty.

Slowly but surely mate, all in good time, you have made great recovery already.

machineman
09-26-08, 6:31 am
Workouts are looking intense mate.

Migranes, nasty.

Slowly but surely mate, all in good time, you have made great recovery already.

X2...

Firedrake
09-26-08, 2:04 pm
Went into the gym feeling pretty solid this morning -- apart from some angst about politics -- remind me never to listen to the news on the way to the gym. Lats are sore: check; low back is tight: check. Okay, yesterday seems to have done what it was supposed to.

Today, arms and some shoulders:

Did some rope crunches, but not more than one set of 75 at 170 -- didn't want to stress the arms . . .

DB Curls s/s with DB Press -- I did these a few workouts ago and liked the feel -- did it again, and it worked just as well. 20x15 (ea), 20x15 (ea), 20x10/15, 20x8/15 -- nice shoulder pump, solid arm ache

DB Triceps Ext: 25x15, 25x15, 25x12, 25x10 -- did these seated . .

Superman Curls ss/Triceps Pressdown: 30x15/40x15, 30x15/50x15, 30x10/50x10, 30x10/50x10, 30x8/50x10 (fuck!, these hurt!)

Shoulder Lateral Machine: 50x20, 60x15, 60x15, 60x12, 60x10, 40x10 (it buurrrrrnnnnns)

Horizontal Hammer Curl: 50x15, 60x12, 60x10, 60x8 (fail)

Machine Dips: 165x15, 165x15, 165x15, 165x7 (fail)

Pinwheel DB Curls (I wanted something else in the biceps . . ._ 20x15, 20x12, 20x10, 20x8 (fail)

Okay, I'm done. Washing my hair was a challenge. I can't say the arms feel pumped, but they do feel just wasted inside -- like it's just trashed -- I can't quite explain it.

Wheeee!

firsthorseman97
09-26-08, 2:07 pm
Solid WO, drake. Crunches... I need to do those more. Thanks for the reminder. LOL!

Themostocles
09-26-08, 2:08 pm
(it buurrrrrnnnnns)

It burns, my precioussss, it burnsss... So what exactly is a superman curl, Im sure I probably know it by a different name, but not that one. Great arm day, know exactly what you mean about feeling trashed. -T.

Firedrake
09-26-08, 2:29 pm
It burns, my precioussss, it burnsss... So what exactly is a superman curl, Im sure I probably know it by a different name, but not that one. Great arm day, know exactly what you mean about feeling trashed. -T.

Stand between two high pulleys, arms outstretched. Grab the handles at about your shoulder level. Curl the handles toward you, leaving shoulders and elbows static.

I used to call them Bilateral Upper Pulley Curls, but this was shorter. I forget where I first heard the name.

BTW -- glad you caught the reference *grin*

'drake

pmug0000
09-26-08, 6:18 pm
Nice job with arms and shoulders I like how you got it started with that superset, good work!

Themostocles
09-26-08, 7:08 pm
BTW -- glad you caught the reference *grin*

'drake

I am a nerd lol, plain and simple. Though they are going to have a hard time shoving me into a locker ;). -T.

Psycho77
09-26-08, 7:24 pm
Went into the gym feeling pretty solid this morning -- apart from some angst about politics -- remind me never to listen to the news on the way to the gym. Lats are sore: check; low back is tight: check. Okay, yesterday seems to have done what it was supposed to.

Did some rope crunches, but not more than one set of 75 at 170 -- didn't want to stress the arms . . .

DB Curls s/s with DB Press -- I did these a few workouts ago and liked the feel -- did it again, and it worked just as well. 20x15 (ea), 20x15 (ea), 20x10/15, 20x8/15 -- nice shoulder pump, solid arm ache

Superman Curls ss/Triceps Pressdown: 30x15/40x15, 30x15/50x15, 30x10/50x10, 30x10/50x10, 30x8/50x10 (fuck!, these hurt!)

Shoulder Lateral Machine: 50x20, 60x15, 60x15, 60x12, 60x10, 40x10 (it buurrrrrnnnnns)

Pinwheel DB Curls (I wanted something else in the biceps . . ._ 20x15, 20x12, 20x10, 20x8 (fail)

Okay, I'm done. Washing my hair was a challenge. I can't say the arms feel pumped, but they do feel just wasted inside -- like it's just trashed -- I can't quite explain it.

Wheeee!

nice work.

mustgetbig
09-26-08, 7:51 pm

Wheeee!

nice shit bro great job!!!!

Pizzalamp
09-28-08, 12:20 pm
solid job bro
and im loving those pinwheel curls0i havent done em in a while

welcome to the gun show

SizeMatters
09-28-08, 6:48 pm
gotta resptect the old timers ;) jp bro puttin in work as usual

rob_in_korea
09-29-08, 6:40 am
Rob -- you're a serviceman -- you're my brother, by default. As a vet, I'll never forget those still in uniform. That you're a lifter, too, just adds iron to the connection.

Keep it strong!

'drake

Actually drake I was in the Army for 5 years, now I am a DOD contractor. I do similar work but get paid a lot more for it...lol.

Anyway, looks like you've been having some great workouts.

-Rob

js71474
09-29-08, 8:18 am
Good work bro! Your sessions have been on point, gains are all yours!

Gunz1
09-29-08, 11:12 am
hell yea bro... thats the shit right there... way to punish the Gunz.. nothing like the feeling of not being able to wash your hair after an arm day.. lol

Firedrake
09-29-08, 8:20 pm
Well today sucked ass. There's no other word for it. I got informed yesterday by my lady friend of 2 1/2 years, and my fiancee of 10 months that she's no longer at all sure she wants to get married, and doesn't really want to date right now. She says she needs to stand on her own two feet for awhile.

WTF??????

Thus, I was rather preoccupied this morning, and rather than being able to get angry at the iron, I was just befuddled and unfocused.

Rope Crunches: 150x50
Leg Extensions: 50x10x3
Horizontal Leg Press: 175x15, 195x12, x10, x7 (fail)

screw it -- I was getting nowhere. I went, took a shower and went to work.

'drake

pmug0000
09-29-08, 10:01 pm
I'm definitely not one to give advice or words of wisdom on relationships, so all I can say is I hope it works out for the best.

TheDarkHalf
09-29-08, 11:50 pm
Well today sucked ass. There's no other word for it. I got informed yesterday by my lady friend of 2 1/2 years, and my fiancee of 10 months that she's no longer at all sure she wants to get married, and doesn't really want to date right now. She says she needs to stand on her own two feet for awhile.

WTF??????

Thus, I was rather preoccupied this morning, and rather than being able to get angry at the iron, I was just befuddled and unfocused.

Rope Crunches: 150x50
Leg Extensions: 50x10x3
Horizontal Leg Press: 175x15, 195x12, x10, x7 (fail)

screw it -- I was getting nowhere. I went, took a shower and went to work.

'drake

Well Shit P's no help - just kiddin P!.....TheDarkHalf to the rescue! My advise on your chick as follows....(I'm a bit of a pick up artist - I know what i'm talking about!)

1. Give her the space she wants. She's confused/getting cold feet and smothering her will only make it worse. If there is anything about you that she hated, actively make a change. If possible, remain friends. When (and if) you start hanging out again, something about your
lifestyle should be different. Adopt a new behavior that demonstrates that you are serious about this. Show her you are in your own reality where you make up the rules.

2. Look at this as a get out of jail free card. Get your ass out there and play the field. If she winds up coming back sooner than later, you will have missed this golden window of opportunity. Plus

3. Just give it time. Regardless of how things shake out, things always work out for the better. She may come back, she may not. Either way, it happened for a reason - something better may come along.

Whoaaaa way to much rambling. I actually cut that shit down quite a bit, if you want or need anymore advice - PM me bro. Don't worry about the lift man, you'll get it next time. Stay animal!

SizeMatters
09-30-08, 1:45 am
damn man, dont let that shit keep you down, keep your head up bro i truely believe everythign happens for a reason

Psycho77
09-30-08, 5:24 am
damn man, dont let that shit keep you down, keep your head up bro i truely believe everythign happens for a reason

yeah, everything he said ^^^^^^^

Firedrake
09-30-08, 2:12 pm
Thanks, guys -- I appreciate the support and the PM.

Today was a major improvement. Had a real good chest day once I actually got going.

Ab Crunch Machine: 100x50, x25, 110x15
Rotary Torso: 50x25, 70x25, each side

Hammer Incline Bench: 90x15, 110x11, x7m x3 (fail) -- I think I found the right set up, finally -- I really felt the pump and push here in the right part of the chest.

DB Pullover -- flat bench (they were repairing the decline): 40x15x3

Flat DB Flyes -- 25x15x3 -- this really felt good this time -- serious pump, serious movement. I really felt the contraction as I brought the 'bells up, and squeezed at the top.

Decline Machine Press: 75x15, 87,5x10, x7, x7 (fail) -- nice feeling here, moving the blood from the upper part of the chest -- I really enjoyed this.

Long Arm Pec Deck (the cable crossovers were busy) -- 75x20, x15, x15, x18 (stretch)
. . . actually got a serious pump finish out of this one.

All in all, a VERY successful chest session. I should be nice and sore tomorrow, if the BCAAs don't do their job <grin>. Then again, I may anyway, from the feeling I've got right now.

'drake

Sugarbutt
09-30-08, 2:13 pm
Figured I'd stop by and check your stuff out...since you did for mine...kinda =D

That was a solid arm/delt day...especially when you can't wash your hair afterwards...

As for the ab day...we all have days like that...things get to you so much that even the iron can't help (*gasp* I know, right!?)...and I wish that, as a female, I could give you advice on what to do...but...I suck and can't really...short of what TheDarkHalf said...give her the space she seems to want...play the field, but keep it on the low-low (you don't want that coming back to bite you in the ass)...and always remember, things do happen for a reason...sometimes it's not a good reason...and sometimes you may never figure out what the reason was...but they happen...

(OH, and don't change a thing! Sorry, Dark! The one thing you need to do now more than ever is remain who you were, are, and will be. NO ONE is worth changing yourself over...)

Gunz1
09-30-08, 4:43 pm
Sorry to hear the news brother... things always tend to work out in the end... give it time... i went through a "break" earlier this summer... nothing like what you got goin on but hurts none the less... turn to the iron brother... it worked for me... focus on your workouts supps and nutrition.. surround yourself with your boys and your work.. its a great distraction... hope everything works out in the end for you brother... IM PULLIN FOR YA

mjsef88
09-30-08, 6:47 pm
While I can't really comment on the female situation, I can say that you've been giving the iron some hell. I love the Decline Machine Press...one of the little secrets of the Hammer Strength machines that not alot of people know about.

Themostocles
09-30-08, 11:54 pm
Great chest day Drake, glad you are finding what works for you. -T.

firsthorseman97
10-01-08, 6:18 am
Awesome chest sesh you put together Drake. I'm guessing your going to be sore, BCAAs or not.

TheDarkHalf
10-01-08, 8:02 am
Very nice chest session there drake - keep on truckin!

js71474
10-01-08, 10:47 am
Hate to hear the bad news bro, it will all workout in time. Looks like you turned the aggression into a killer chest day, way to overcome bro!

scals
10-01-08, 12:11 pm
Solid chest workout brother.

Firedrake
10-01-08, 3:11 pm
Awesome chest sesh you put together Drake. I'm guessing your going to be sore, BCAAs or not.

Um, yeah, I am . . . moreso than I expected, even. AND, despite a truncated leg day, my quads are still kind of sore.

I blew off cardio this morning to get some more sleep. Since we're doing arms on Saturday at the ABC gathering at Koloseum Gym, I'll probably do cardio, abs and shoulders on Friday.

Gunz1
10-01-08, 4:29 pm
killer day on chest bro... nice work... love the HS machine... kills it everytime!!!

mustgetbig
10-01-08, 9:20 pm
Thanks, guys -- I appreciate the support and the PM.

Today was a major improvement. Had a real good chest day once I actually got going.

Ab Crunch Machine: 100x50, x25, 110x15
Rotary Torso: 50x25, 70x25, each side

Hammer Incline Bench: 90x15, 110x11, x7m x3 (fail) -- I think I found the right set up, finally -- I really felt the pump and push here in the right part of the chest.

DB Pullover -- flat bench (they were repairing the decline): 40x15x3

Flat DB Flyes -- 25x15x3 -- this really felt good this time -- serious pump, serious movement. I really felt the contraction as I brought the 'bells up, and squeezed at the top.

Decline Machine Press: 75x15, 87,5x10, x7, x7 (fail) -- nice feeling here, moving the blood from the upper part of the chest -- I really enjoyed this.

Long Arm Pec Deck (the cable crossovers were busy) -- 75x20, x15, x15, x18 (stretch)
. . . actually got a serious pump finish out of this one.

All in all, a VERY successful chest session. I should be nice and sore tomorrow, if the BCAAs don't do their job <grin>. Then again, I may anyway, from the feeling I've got right now.

'drake

kick ass chest day bro!!!

Pizzalamp
10-01-08, 9:59 pm
good work bro! u gotta be sore!

Firedrake
10-02-08, 1:13 pm
good work bro! u gotta be sore!

Yeah -- even now, my chest is touchy. I love it!

Firedrake
10-02-08, 1:27 pm
I don't know what happened this morning, but something set me off and running! Now, I do have a visualization I do on back day, that I call "putting wings on the dragon". Last year, I had a really weird, very strong dream, that involved my tattoo artist (I have two tats) tattooing black dragon scales down my arm. As he finished, he put a silver claw on each fingernail. As he finished, the scales began to become real. The transformation continued, turning me into a large, black, draconian humanoid, with huge wings and clawed feet. That image and feeling, even that of the wings on my back, has stayed with ever since. It works great on back day, and particularly good this morning.

Rope Crunches: 160x75, 180x50, 180x25 (I've discovered a different pulley machine at the gym that I'll start using next week that feels heavier even though the numbers read the same. Since I'm about to run the stack on this one, I'm gonna move over -- the "weight" numbers will drop, but I'll be working harder, which is what I want).

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 75x25, 100x15, 125x12, 137.5x10, 150x7 (fail) (PR)

Hyperextension machine: 270x50, 300x50, 300x50 (stack)

Low Row, wide grip: 150x20, 175x15, 187.5x14, 200x12, 200x8 (fail) (PR) Wow! I dunno what happened here, but I felt stronger than ever.

Bent Over DB Row: 40x15, 40x15, 45x15, 50x10, 50x8 (fail) (PR) . . . really felt the movement here -- best yet.

Straight-Arm Pulldown: 50x15, x15, x12 . . . having trouble feeling this one. I wonder if I should widen the grip -- right now I'm using shoulder width.

I still had something left, but I was already late for work!

'drake

firsthorseman97
10-02-08, 1:47 pm
Holy hell! PRs all over the place, Congrats! Your definitely building some wings.

Now about your dream... your not going to go crazy like the guy in Red Dragon are ya? LMAO!!!

D-Bomb
10-02-08, 1:52 pm
I put the Juice in your wheaties....Orange juice!! hey awesome dream dude! i have had a Dragon dream before albeit a little different. definitely friggin strong workout there!!

TheDarkHalf
10-02-08, 2:07 pm
yo man great back WO! That dream sounds crazy......reminds me of some LSD experiences i've had in the past. Who knows, maybe that dream was real......

Firedrake
10-02-08, 2:13 pm
Holy hell! PRs all over the place, Congrats! Your definitely building some wings.

Now about your dream... your not going to go crazy like the guy in Red Dragon are ya? LMAO!!!

No crazier than I already am! I'm 54 years old and want to get back into armor to beat the young pups around the field with a broadsword. If I happen to turn into a large, draconian humanoid in the meantime, I won't complain -- it'll make getting a bench a the gym easier! (Where I'd put the wings during bench presses is another question . . . )

As it happens a buddy of mine turned the description into a City of Heroes character . . .

(flap) 'drake

Gunz1
10-02-08, 3:48 pm
damn bro!!! 3 personal records in one workout!!! congrats homie... damn put me up on whatever you had for breakfast... way to crush it bro.. talk about feeling strong!!!

Firedrake
10-02-08, 7:06 pm
If I'm going to be doing arms with the ABC on Saturday, should I go ahead and do some cardio and maybe shoulders tomorrow, or blow it off and rest up for the big day?

Curious,

'drake

TheDarkHalf
10-02-08, 7:20 pm
If I'm going to be doing arms with the ABC on Saturday, should I go ahead and do some cardio and maybe shoulders tomorrow, or blow it off and rest up for the big day?

Curious,

'drake

id say go for it bro. i know that id definitely get that extra session in, just make sure to get in some extra cals and you should be good to go!

Psycho77
10-02-08, 7:53 pm
I don't know what happened this morning, but something set me off and running! Now, I do have a visualization I do on back day, that I call "putting wings on the dragon". Last year, I had a really weird, very strong dream, that involved my tattoo artist (I have two tats) tattooing black dragon scales down my arm. As he finished, he put a silver claw on each fingernail. As he finished, the scales began to become real. The transformation continued, turning me into a large, black, draconian humanoid, with huge wings and clawed feet. That image and feeling, even that of the wings on my back, has stayed with ever since. It works great on back day, and particularly good this morning.

Rope Crunches: 160x75, 180x50, 180x25 (I've discovered a different pulley machine at the gym that I'll start using next week that feels heavier even though the numbers read the same. Since I'm about to run the stack on this one, I'm gonna move over -- the "weight" numbers will drop, but I'll be working harder, which is what I want).

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 75x25, 100x15, 125x12, 137.5x10, 150x7 (fail) (PR)

Hyperextension machine: 270x50, 300x50, 300x50 (stack)

Low Row, wide grip: 150x20, 175x15, 187.5x14, 200x12, 200x8 (fail) (PR) Wow! I dunno what happened here, but I felt stronger than ever.

Bent Over DB Row: 40x15, 40x15, 45x15, 50x10, 50x8 (fail) (PR) . . . really felt the movement here -- best yet.

Straight-Arm Pulldown: 50x15, x15, x12 . . . having trouble feeling this one. I wonder if I should widen the grip -- right now I'm using shoulder width.

I still had something left, but I was already late for work!

'drake

Congrats man! PRs all around. Thats some dream you have there man, a real power boost huh. Maybe I should stop dreaming about sex all the time and start dreaming about dragons.

pmug0000
10-02-08, 10:13 pm
Awesome back workout man you racked up the PR's!! You've got me looking forward to hitting back hard tomorrow!

nck219
10-02-08, 10:19 pm
Sick back workout Drake'. 3 PR's is fuckin ridiculous...Congrats!! As for the straight arm pulldown...I think your on the right track with widening the grip, not crazy wide or anything. But deffinately a lil' wider than shoulder width. For me its easier to keep the tri's out of it when Im wider...

gymEvo
10-02-08, 10:24 pm
just a question...i've been looking through some of ur logs...what is your goal?...are you looking for hypertrophy?

Firedrake
10-02-08, 11:09 pm
just a question...i've been looking through some of ur logs...what is your goal?...are you looking for hypertrophy?

Right now, I'm working a little on basic conditioning, some on fat loss, and I seem to be getting some serious hypertrophy going on. I've only been back in the gym since August 18th.

I'm 54, coming off of major back surgery on July 31st of last year, and essentially two years out of the gym. The nerve damage had gotten so bad that I could barely walk without a cane, and stairs were out of the question. I'm only beginning to get leg strength back, as you can see from my leg press numbers.

My goal, for ComicCon next July, is to be able to get out on stage as the "Kingdom Come" version of Superman. My current measurements are: Chest 52" (but little shape or separation and no inner chest), Arms 16.5" L, 17" R (yeah, I insist on the half-inch *grin*, but they're both awfully smooth, and uneven because of adhesions from the injury in the left arm), Thighs 24", Calves 18", Neck 19", and the bad bit -- Waist 43". I weigh 270-ish, down from 279 on August 18th, and my waist is down 2", which I attribute mostly to tightening my abs and core. The last caliper measurement showed me at about 34% bodyfat. Yuck!

Structurally, I have long muscle bellies and "swimmer's" muscles, wide shoulders, a deep ribcage, a relatively narrow pelvis, and long bones, so putting on visible mass is always a challenge. I now have a titanium cage in my spine from L2 down to S1, so flexibility is somewhat limited, but not as much as I had expected it would be. 36 years ago, I managed to place third in one local bodybuilding contest as a novice teenage competitor, having trained with Earl Clark, a 50s Mr. Universe, whose kid was a friend of mine in high school. Then the Army got hold of me and messed up my back and broke both my tibia.

So: to answer your question -- I want as much mass as I can slap on my 6'2" frame, and cut as much fat as possible. I have carried as much as 250 at a body fat of 12%, but that was about 9 years ago.

Since then, I fell in 2002 and tore my left bicep right off at the elbow -- I tripped in the garage -- the repair damaged the nerves to my right hand so that it wouldn't open for six months; in 2003 I needed arthritis surgery in the left shoulder, and in 2004, I fell down a hill while rock climbing, and tore my right quad right off the kneecap, and tore up the left quad, but they didn't fix that, so there's still a slight gap in it. It wasn't until the therapy for that that they discovered why I fell. The pinched nerve in the spine.

I suspect that I'm using way too much volume for serious mass building, but so far, I'm making good progress, and conditioning my tendons and joints for heavier work in a few months. I'm using this initial 90 days back in the gym to get my body used to working out again. That I seem to be making good progress is a big incentive and motivation, let me tell you! I'm really enjoying moving and pushing and pulling and sweating again, especially since I can do it without unneeded pain (i.e., no further debilitating back pain).

That's probably waaaay TMI, I know.

I'm eager to hear peoples' suggestions as to where to go after this first 90 days. I'll be consulting with someone who won the Jr. Mr. California in June, and who's an experienced trainer, as well. His schedule won't let him train me directly, but he's offered to look at my program.

So? Anyone got any ideas?

'drake

scals
10-02-08, 11:33 pm
Great work on both chest and back brother.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-02-08, 11:53 pm
awsome work as always drake...keep it goin, i enjoy stoppng by here and reading ur progression

shizz702
10-03-08, 12:02 am
Damn drake you have had your fair share of injuries brotha. Glad to see you have persevered and not let them get you down. I commend you for getting back in the game and putting in the work to improve you health and get yourself in shape, and looks like you've done a good job thus far.

As far as advice goes, I highly recommend checking out this book:http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Brawn-Insiders-Encyclopedia-Muscle/dp/9963916368/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223007255&sr=8-1

All my training philosophies and success are pretty much owed to it. It changed my life, and I can pretty much guarantee you'll never look at things the same after reading it.

gymEvo
10-03-08, 12:48 am
Actually thats a wise choice with the volume...it will definitely help you put size on. Basically ur numbers are ideal for hypertrophy so im not surprised at your results, and you seem like a expeirenced lifter so i know you have to be on an appropriate diet. With that said, im glad to see your getting results fast, and from reading your story its quite obvious nothing will stop you from getting your results. so keep at it BRAHH!

PS....check out shizz's recommendation when you get the chance, he knowledgeable and definitely earned my trust.

Themostocles
10-03-08, 1:30 am
I actually think the higher volume is good for you at the moment. Build some endurance, enhance conditioning, and cut some fat. You will still build muscle with volume, look at Hola Bola's w/o's. He is a volume-holic. Great job on the PRs 'Drake, definitly improving. Enjoy your time at the ABC bro, smoke the younger guys lol. -T.

Firedrake
10-03-08, 1:43 am
Actually thats a wise choice with the volume...it will definitely help you put size on. Basically ur numbers are ideal for hypertrophy so im not surprised at your results, and you seem like a expeirenced lifter so i know you have to be on an appropriate diet. With that said, im glad to see your getting results fast, and from reading your story its quite obvious nothing will stop you from getting your results. so keep at it BRAHH!

PS....check out shizz's recommendation when you get the chance, he knowledgeable and definitely earned my trust.

I've ordered the book (I don't waste time -- Actually, I've heard of the book before, and read McRobert's articles years ago). Thanks for the validation, actually. My diet isn't quite what it should be -- I'm working on it. I work all day in an office, so the chance for getting all my meals in has ups and downs -- I take most of my food, but occasionally I'm called upon to have business lunches. I have preWO and postWO protein/waxy maize shakes, and I'm getting the supps down. What I have to work out now is protein/carb ratios for my body, and whether a shake/maize/creatine or fruit/string cheese work better in the afternoon. My problem comes when I -don't- have something appropriate available when the blood sugar tanks. My metabolism has been going haywire, and I've been known to awaken, starving, at 2 a.m..

I lose weight best on an Atkins-style, severely low-carb diet, but I'm not interested in just losing weight, obviously.

So, to balance fat loss and muscle gain, I have to walk a very fine line. I'm eating clean, but I still have to watch sugars, etc. I have mostly lost my taste for sweets and chocolate, which used to be old bugaboos -- and I managed to avoid an entire box of Krispy Kremes at the desk next to mine today, and didn't have a single one!

shizz702
10-03-08, 11:57 am
Glad to see you ordered the book drake. Drop me a line sometime after you read it and let me know what you think about it.

Evo, thanks for the kind words brah!

The Sun
10-03-08, 3:13 pm
I read your first post on this journey, to get the background and I'm pretty shocked you're my father's age, it's very rare to see any adults writing on Bodybuilding forums in Israel.

I'm in for the continue of your journey, never stop lifting!

Firedrake
10-03-08, 3:27 pm
Thanks, everyone, for your comments -- I'll let you know, Shizz, as soon as I read the book.

The Sun -- thanks for stopping by. It may be unusual in Israel, but you'll find a number of "adults" (I won't say grownups) on this board. Lifting should be a lifetime occupation.

So, today, anticipating tomorrow's demolition of my arms at the Koloseum, I took it easy.

Rope Crunches on the new machine 100x50, which felt heavier than 180 on the other machine.

Cross-bench knee-ups: 15x3

CloseGrip Upright Pulley Rows: 50x20, 60x20, 70x15, 80x12, 90x10

DB Shrugs: 55x20, 60x15, 65x12, 65x10, 65x8

30 minutes on the treadmill at a "5" incline.

Felt pretty good. The back is still tight from yesterday, which I expected and looked forward to.

Pizzalamp
10-03-08, 10:15 pm
nice job bro
im liking those shrugs...

RK
10-03-08, 11:08 pm
Keep hittin it hard brother and ALWAYS remember that age is nothing but a number. I'm reminded of that every time i get to lift with Timk13, DaveK, or BigAnt. All in the "masters" division but still whoop everyone's ass haha! All that matters is your doin what you wanna do, never give up.....even though its pretty obvious that you wont after your book of injuries. Just shows how much you want it! Keep it safe and strong!

RK

machineman
10-03-08, 11:54 pm
kick some ass at the ABC, drake....let us know how it goes....

Firedrake
10-04-08, 11:34 pm
Today was a blast -- my arms are fried as hell.

All right -- who has the pix to put up? Today was a frackin' blast!

Meeting AZN-BEEF, Roland, DBoy, Rage, YokdUp, Lunatic001, Tempus, darkcloud1721, RoxyHeart and "Puffy" (Steve, who doesn't have a board name yet), was a hella good time.

Roland set up a program for those of us playing with arms that included seated DB curls, into preacher curls, straight into overhead triceps extensions, then something I'd never done before, which he called "A/Bs", which involved doing a regular DB curl followed by a hammer curl, and that counted as one rep. This got followed by some triceps kickbacks supersetted (giant setted?) with skull crushers and closegrip bench press. In the meantime, Tempus got some of us playing with reverse-grip triceps pressdowns. Wheeee!

AZN-BEEF was basically lifting anything put in front of him; Roland was running around keeping it all moving and getting his own sets in. YokdUp and RoxyHeart were working in together, and I gotta tell you, she was being a real Animal! Tempus is a friggin' cheerleader, getting everyone to push just a little harder. darkcloud quietly goes through and lifts everything in sight -- not saying much, but damn, can he push the iron! (I didn't see a lot of what was goin' on on the other side of the gym, but I heard a lot of grunting, thudding and clanking)

This got all tied up with some lightweight burnouts with machine preacher curls and machine dips for as many reps as you could manage for three sets.

THEN we joined the maniacs over on the other side for playing "run the plates" on the seated calf machine. Depending on your strength levels, you started with 15 reps with your max weight in 20KG plates, strip one plate, do 15 more, strip another plate, do 15 more, down to your minimum, then back up again. By the last few reps of the max again, you were seriously hurtin'! (I confess I felt like the wussy boy of the group, starting with only 3 plates and down to 1 and back up -- I think Rage was doing 5 or maybe 6 at the top).

Then we descended on Claim Jumper's after some . . . er, intriguing convoy leadership, and demolished a great deal of food. Tempus and I discovered a mutual love of 22 oz. Porterhouse steaks, Rage was demolishing a major plate of spaghetti and meatballs, and Roland was destroying chicken-fried steak. I think some of the servers came by just to look at us. I was happy to see that, when we told them we were going to need pitchers of water on the table, they were happy to comply.

I don't think the counter staff at Koloseum knew quite what to make of this mass of people coming in and well, sort of taking over parts of the floor, but they were very nice. That's an amazing gym -- I'd been there once or twice before, and it's like an amusement park for torture addicts. More free weights and hardcore machines than you see most anyplace else.

We went out front and took a group shot, which I presume someone will post.

I understand next month we're headed down to San Diego with Lunatic, and December, I believe was to be in Riverside. I know if I trained with this crew all the time, I'd be a whole lot bigger!

. . . and I plan to get there!

'drake

InkdMuscle
10-04-08, 11:38 pm
OK Old timer. =) lets rock it. Im sub'd to your Journey no excuses now. I am on you like white on rice. Let the Iron Fly.

Pizzalamp
10-04-08, 11:39 pm
wow! sounds great

Firedrake
10-04-08, 11:52 pm
OK Old timer. =) lets rock it. Im sub'd to your Journey no excuses now. I am on you like white on rice. Let the Iron Fly.

You got it, junior!

Psycho77
10-05-08, 12:02 am
Sounds like you had lots of fun there Drake. Your certainly on your way to being freaky huge. Go for it!

AZN-BEEF
10-05-08, 12:49 am
great training with you bro! keep up the good work! lol thanks for the compliment "lifting anything in front of him."

pmug0000
10-05-08, 12:20 pm
That sounds like an intense workout!!

Themostocles
10-05-08, 3:20 pm
That ABC sounds like a blast. Can you walk after that run on the calf machine? -T.

SizeMatters
10-05-08, 6:56 pm
lol probably not bro i knwo i couldent

shizz702
10-05-08, 8:19 pm
Alright! Sounds like one hell of a session! Glad to see you guys had a good time!

Firedrake
10-06-08, 1:21 am
That ABC sounds like a blast. Can you walk after that run on the calf machine? -T.

It was touch and go for a minute, and I think we all waddled for a bit, but were back to normal before we got out the door. That was fun, though, with all of us around egging each other on to one more rep.

What's sore on me today are my biceps -- I mean REALLY sore. My tris are a little sore, but not nearly so much.

I'm looking forward to next month.

Themostocles
10-06-08, 1:27 am
It was touch and go for a minute, and I think we all waddled for a bit, but were back to normal before we got out the door. That was fun, though, with all of us around egging each other on to one more rep.

What's sore on me today are my biceps -- I mean REALLY sore. My tris are a little sore, but not nearly so much.

I'm looking forward to next month.

Well I guess you aren't wielding that broad sword or lochaber tomorrow then lol. -T.

js71474
10-06-08, 7:43 am
Looks like you had fun at the ABC bro, I read where you ordered the beyond brawn...I'm almost finished with it, let me know what you think of it.

Firedrake
10-07-08, 2:37 pm
Monday legs . . . ehh, not so hot.

Rope Crunches (on the new machine): 100x50, x45
Leg Extensions: 50x15, 62.5x15, 62.5x15
Horizontal Leg Press: 175x20, 195x17, 215x4, 135x30, 135x25 (gasping for breath, seriously, and frankly, the last reps were with several breaths between . . .)
Leg Curls: 70x18, 90x12, 90x7, 70x10
Seated Calf Raise: 100x20, 130x156, 140x13, 150x10, (toes in) 100x20, 100x15 (tried to get serious stretch at the bottom)

Yeah, there's improvement here, but it seemed mediocre, except for the Leg Presses.

Firedrake
10-07-08, 2:42 pm
Rope Crunches: 100x50, 110x25
HS Incline Bench: 90x18, 110x12, 110x8, 110x4, 110x4
DB Pullovers: 45x15, 45x15, 45x17
Cable Crossovers: 40x15, 40x12, 40x12
DB Flyes: 30x17, 30x15, 30x13 -- DC Stretch, but I could only get 30 seconds before I dropped 'em
Decline BP: 87.5x10, 87.5x10, 87.5x8, 87.5x9 (failure)
Wide Arm Pec Deck: 75x20, 87,5x15, 87.5x15, 87.5x15 with squeezes

Didn't feel the pump so much this morning -- it could be 'cause I'm out of Creatine.

TheDarkHalf
10-07-08, 2:53 pm
don't let monday get you down....whether it's only an inch or a mile, progress is progress. I don't think being out of creatine would keep you from getting a pump, unless you let that get into your head before your WO. One day without creatine ain't gonna kill ya.

Keep on pressing bro looking good!

The Sun
10-07-08, 2:55 pm
that's lots of volume drake, tough workout to get through!

scals
10-07-08, 9:18 pm
Those were some solid workouts Drake.

Themostocles
10-08-08, 1:11 am
Your legs are going to take time, but you will get them there. Great couple of w/o's Drake. -T.

firsthorseman97
10-08-08, 6:30 am
Nothing wrong with those two workouts. You definitely put in the work.

js71474
10-08-08, 8:01 am
Two solid workouts there man! Progress is progress even if it feels 'mediocre' as you said. Weight increase small or big is progress so don't sweat it, you put in the hard work, keep trucking!

Pizzalamp
10-08-08, 9:10 pm
dont be so hard on yourself man-youre still putting in hard work...keep it rocking

rob_in_korea
10-09-08, 2:01 am
Seems like solid workouts to me Drake. Keep up the great work.

-Rob

Firedrake
10-09-08, 2:22 pm
Thank you again, everyone who chimed in. It really does help keep me focused.

Yesterday's cardio was lackluster -- I had to do it in the evening because I had to be early into work for a meeting -- I spent 45 minutes on the treadmill, and did the recumbent bike for another 15 because I wanted my legs to flex more. I don't like cardio in the evening . . .

In the good news, my weight this morning was down to 269 by the new electronic scale at the gym.

In the bad news, my former fiancee heads off today for a camping trip that we had been planning for together since June. She'll be off at something called "Great Western War" for our medieval-recreation organization (the SCA). The only slightly venal happy thought is that -she'll- get to be answering all the questions about where I am. I -could- go, and stay with my sister and her husband, but somehow I just don't feel like it.

I'm obviously not in the best of moods today -- however, I appear to have been able to channel that mood in the gym for back day.

I used the Ab Crunch Machine today, just to mix it up, and switched positions to make the contraction better: 100x50, x25, x25

Rotary Torso for Obliques: 70x25x2, L/R

Lat Pulldowns: 100x20, 125x15, 150x10, 150x10, PR 135x15

Rack Deads (first time being serious): 135x15, 155x15, 165x10, 165x10 -- I need to see some more vids on form for these

Low Row - Shoulder Width: 162.5x20, 187.5x17, 200x12, 212.5x10, 225x8 PR (fail)

Bent Over DB Row: 45x20, 50x15, 55x10, 60x10, 60x10 PR . . . mind you, there was another fellow in there who's at least ten years older than me using the same weight -- gotta push harder!

DB Shrugs ('cause I felt like it): 65x15, 70x12, 70x10, 70x10 PR

I think my rebuilt back may finally be getting the idea! Nice, tight pump, and good feeling.

Themostocles
10-09-08, 2:29 pm
You set enough PRs, you crazy old coot lol. Amazing w/o. Glad to see things coming together for you. -T.

The Sun
10-09-08, 2:31 pm
solid back workout, I'm sure your mood is much better now that you typed all those PR's on a forum sheet and you have something to be proud of.

congraz for the PR's sugardaddy :)

firsthorseman97
10-09-08, 2:40 pm
PR galore! Awesome back day Jared. You have been putting in some serious work. Sounds like you had some extra fuel for the fire today. The gym is the best place to leave that shit, no point taking it home with ya!

LittleMan55
10-09-08, 6:54 pm
You werent lying over in my thread when you said you had a great back day... Looks like it was an express trip on the PR Express! Weight is coming down too... Seems like everything is on the right track bro.

scals
10-09-08, 7:22 pm
Congrats on all those PRs Drake.

Firedrake
10-09-08, 8:32 pm
Thanks for the props, guys -- I have an observation and a question to add to my day's journey.

One of the things about what we do is the way our bodies change shape. I'm having a peculiar problem. I've lost inches both off my waist and butt, and my thighs haven't "ballooned" out yet, so my trousers are too long -- I keep stepping on the cuffs and/or hems in back, especially going up stairs. If I pull 'em up any higher, I'm going to look (more) like an old man!

Second, what do you all consider the best overall place online to get your Animal supps? It appears to be a given that online is better than any of the local stores, even with shipping, but a review of seven different sites today showed me that one place will have a better price on one product, and a different product will find a better price elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Lunatic001
10-09-08, 8:33 pm
I use dpsnutrition.net.....

Themostocles
10-09-08, 9:03 pm
and I use Bodybuilding.com... DPS has good prices, but doesn't always carry some of the stuff I want. -T.

Psycho77
10-09-08, 10:01 pm
All I saw were bright yellow PRs hehehehehehe. Good work Drake.

TheDarkHalf
10-09-08, 10:48 pm
In the bad news, my former fiancee heads off today for a camping trip that we had been planning for together since June. She'll be off at something called "Great Western War" for our medieval-recreation organization (the SCA). The only slightly venal happy thought is that -she'll- get to be answering all the questions about where I am. I -could- go, and stay with my sister and her husband, but somehow I just don't feel like it.

I'm obviously not in the best of moods today -- however, I appear to have been able to channel that mood in the gym for back day.

I used the Ab Crunch Machine today, just to mix it up, and switched positions to make the contraction better: 100x50, x25, x25

Rotary Torso for Obliques: 70x25x2, L/R

Lat Pulldowns: 100x20, 125x15, 150x10, 150x10, PR 135x15

Rack Deads (first time being serious): 135x15, 155x15, 165x10, 165x10 -- I need to see some more vids on form for these

Low Row - Shoulder Width: 162.5x20, 187.5x17, 200x12, 212.5x10, 225x8 PR (fail)

Bent Over DB Row: 45x20, 50x15, 55x10, 60x10, 60x10 PR . . . mind you, there was another fellow in there who's at least ten years older than me using the same weight -- gotta push harder!

DB Shrugs ('cause I felt like it): 65x15, 70x12, 70x10, 70x10 PR

I think my rebuilt back may finally be getting the idea! Nice, tight pump, and good feeling.

Don't worry about not going on that trip - prolly would have just made things awkward! But judging from that workout you've definitely got your head on straight bro! Keep it up!!

Firedrake
10-10-08, 2:06 pm
Weird morning -- my shoulders and back are still mega-sore from yesterday; I ate too much at a business dinner last night celebrating something at work, and it took me an hour to drive to the gym rather than my usual 25 minutes because of a jacknifed-fuckin-big rig.

Nonetheless, I went in and Got It Done.

Ab crunch machine: 100x50, 100x35, 100x25 -- I've been holding the contraction and squeezing for more effect. Wow.

DB Curl ss w/DB Presses: 20x20, 25x12, 25x10, 25x12, 25x8/10

OH Triceps Cable Extension (rope handle): 50x15, 50x15, 50x13, 50x8

Horizontal Bicep Curl: 20x25, 40x15, 50x15, 60x12, 60x6 + 30 sec. static hold

Machine Dips: 165x18, 180x10, 180x7 (fail)

. . . here was the problem -- the arms were so pumped at that point that I was literally having trouble bending them. I guess I was done, but I wasn't that happy with the actual volume of work done -- the effect was great, but . . .

LittleMan55
10-10-08, 2:39 pm
Um I would say you reach pumpfection... It's the perfect pump and feels so cool. Some people go nuts once this happens and actually work out of the pump. IMO you did the right thing by shutting it down once you reached maximum pump level.

pmug0000
10-10-08, 2:41 pm
Damn dude that is some serious pumps when you can't bend your arms, you know you're doing something right when that happens, great job! Sometimes my pumps get so intense they hurt, I love that.

firsthorseman97
10-10-08, 2:46 pm
Um I would say you reach pumpfection... It's the perfect pump and feels so cool. Some people go nuts once this happens and actually work out of the pump. IMO you did the right thing by shutting it down once you reached maximum pump level.

I agree with Broc here 100%. If you train longer and lose your pump then you've overtrained. The bi's and tri's are a fairly small muscle group so it doesn't take as much to work them. I know it doesn't take much for my bi's and tri's to get jacked.

LittleMan55
10-10-08, 2:48 pm
Damn dude that is some serious pumps when you can't bend your arms, you know you're doing something right when that happens, great job! Sometimes my pumps get so intense they hurt, I love that.

How great is that feeling? It always happens on arms too it seems. People seem to get pissed when I tell them arm day isnt my favorite. They dont understand that if you do it right it hurts! Thats why they love it, let them go to town though we smart trainers will do the necessary work and get much larger!

shizz702
10-10-08, 9:16 pm
Way to get in and get it done drake! Man your abs are getting strong! Glad to see you got a good pump too! As long as you are happy with your training that is all that matters.

Pizzalamp
10-10-08, 10:03 pm
Weird morning -- my shoulders and back are still mega-sore from yesterday; I ate too much at a business dinner last night celebrating something at work, and it took me an hour to drive to the gym rather than my usual 25 minutes because of a jacknifed-fuckin-big rig.

Nonetheless, I went in and Got It Done.

Ab crunch machine: 100x50, 100x35, 100x25 -- I've been holding the contraction and squeezing for more effect. Wow.

DB Curl ss w/DB Presses: 20x20, 25x12, 25x10, 25x12, 25x8/10

OH Triceps Cable Extension (rope handle): 50x15, 50x15, 50x13, 50x8

Horizontal Bicep Curl: 20x25, 40x15, 50x15, 60x12, 60x6 + 30 sec. static hold

Machine Dips: 165x18, 180x10, 180x7 (fail)

. . . here was the problem -- the arms were so pumped at that point that I was literally having trouble bending them. I guess I was done, but I wasn't that happy with the actual volume of work done -- the effect was great, but . . .
i think u did good mah man damn good
nice workout! what kind of food at the dinner?

Firedrake
10-10-08, 10:38 pm
i think u did good mah man damn good
nice workout! what kind of food at the dinner?

Tempura short ribs as an appetizer, followed by a 14oz. sirloin, green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, and a cute little dessert tray with four different desserts I couldn't even get halfway through. This and a couple of glasses of a good Gerwürtztraminer probably gave me enough calories for the day! My stomach bothered me until this afternoon!

I've gotta learn I don't have to be a member of the "clean plate club". *grin*

Tonight was chicken breasts and rice . . . much better, well, at least for my conscience.

'drake

Firedrake
10-10-08, 11:22 pm
By the way -- someone else was posting vids of a deadlift that was awfully strong for a lighter person. Here's some by an online friend of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAv5V-4hL-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLMgXjh_tM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIcAHGjkNjY

. . . he weighs about 220 . . . disgusting, ain't it? He's also a Tae Kwan Do expert, a motorcyclist, and has a degree in philosophy and English.

'drake

Psycho77
10-11-08, 10:18 am
You got the best pump there is man, congrats. I get hit on arms, legs and sometimes back. Its just FFFFFFing awesome. Its an automatic end of session for me.

Damn, thats gooood food you had there sir.

mustgetbig
10-11-08, 7:33 pm
nice arm day bro!

js71474
10-13-08, 8:15 am
Great arm day bro! Had that insane pump going, sounds like a shirt ripper!

Firedrake
10-13-08, 11:07 am
I woke up Saturday morning with a sore throat, so I hammered it with Vitamin C and Echinacea. Worked for awhile, but I woke up about 3 this morning with a head full of congestion and the throat more sore than ever . . . swallowing is beginning to hurt, and I am NOT a happy camper. Not going to work today.

Needless to say, the concept of a heavy leg day did NOT appeal.

::blergh::

js71474
10-13-08, 11:14 am
I woke up Saturday morning with a sore throat, so I hammered it with Vitamin C and Echinacea. Worked for awhile, but I woke up about 3 this morning with a head full of congestion and the throat more sore than ever . . . swallowing is beginning to hurt, and I am NOT a happy camper. Not going to work today.

::blergh::OOOOOOH, hate to hear you are feeling like s--t, hope you feel better bro!

Lunatic001
10-13-08, 11:17 am
Water, rest, Vitamin C bro...I just got over mine and I'll recommend to get it checked to see if its bacteria so that you could get some Antibiotics to get over it quicker....hope you feel better...

Lunatic

scals
10-13-08, 11:29 am
Great looking arm day Drake.

Psycho77
10-13-08, 11:56 am

Hope you get better man. The weight will always be there. Rest, recoup, annihilate!

The Sun
10-13-08, 1:29 pm

get well soon, think about it as a good rest and don't let it get you down.

Pizzalamp
10-13-08, 2:18 pm
feel better!!

InkdMuscle
10-15-08, 1:46 pm
awww come on gramps. get ur butt in the gym and sweat it out. nothing like a good work out to kick the illness. well that what Roxy tells me and gotta listen to the woman. lol get better soon.

Firedrake
10-15-08, 6:53 pm
Well, the throat's still sore and the head's still foggy, but I may drag myself in tomorrow and just do cardio wrapped in extra sweats till I burn it out. I've been hammering the Vitamin C and taking my various anti-allergy meds, but I dunno if it's from the fires or what, but my chest hurts and my eyes itch. The doctor said Monday that it's probably a virus rather than a bacteria, so there's not much to be done.

As it is, I have an appointment at 10 to start developing my new plan with Rage.

pmug0000
10-15-08, 9:33 pm
You know what's best for yourself, but from personal experience I think it's a good idea to lift even if you feel sick. I haven't been sick for a while, but last time I was I still went to the gym and while I was there it was the best I'd feel all day. But most people would disagree with that so do what you think is best.

Pizzalamp
10-15-08, 11:01 pm
Well, the throat's still sore and the head's still foggy, but I may drag myself in tomorrow and just do cardio wrapped in extra sweats till I burn it out. I've been hammering the Vitamin C and taking my various anti-allergy meds, but I dunno if it's from the fires or what, but my chest hurts and my eyes itch. The doctor said Monday that it's probably a virus rather than a bacteria, so there's not much to be done.

As it is, I have an appointment at 10 to start developing my new plan with Rage.

def listen to your body-sometime i feel better after i go lift...good luck

Firedrake
10-16-08, 12:28 am
pmug0000 wrote:

You know what's best for yourself, but from personal experience I think it's a good idea to lift even if you feel sick. I haven't been sick for a while, but last time I was I still went to the gym and while I was there it was the best I'd feel all day. But most people would disagree with that so do what you think is best.

Pizzalamp wrote:

def listen to your body-sometime i feel better after i go lift...good luck

I think I will tomorrow morning. The problem has been that anytime I tried to breathe deep, it set off a coughing fit bad enough to make me puke. That finally appears to have passed, and the body aches are mostly gone. Now my only question is: do I pick up where I left off, and do legs, or do what would normally be tomorrow, and work back?

Eh, I'll figure it out in the morning.

Themostocles
10-16-08, 12:41 am
Hope you feel better bro. -T.

DAV1D
10-16-08, 1:06 am
Hope you feel better. I always have to pick up where i left off. i feel weird about skipping a body part.