PDA

View Full Version : The Warrior Diet

Gonz
08-02-08, 6:28 am
Searched around a little, and it seems this section is mostly Keto threads. I used to do Keto, then did IF with Keto, then stuck to the Warrior Diet. Just wondering if anyone else follows this? Haven't found too many people that do this diet. I'm still relatively new to it, trying to find my "niche" with it.

Northman
08-02-08, 9:19 am
Searched around a little, and it seems this section is mostly Keto threads. I used to do Keto, then did IF with Keto, then stuck to the Warrior Diet. Just wondering if anyone else follows this? Haven't found too many people that do this diet. I'm still relatively new to it, trying to find my "niche" with it.

I did a little research on it a while ago. I didn't like how little one eats.... I'd waste away to nothing!

Appollonian
08-02-08, 9:49 am
I eat 4200+ calories a day just to stay the same size right now, so I have to eat 6-7 times a day! As it is, I allready fill super full when I eat.

If it works for you, stick to it. I'm not here to judge/diss anybody. Keep us updated!

Fury317
08-02-08, 10:27 am
I just got a quick overview of it. Im not so sure about this one Gonz, it seems to me like something I would see at 2am in between re-runs of the Cosby show. Skipping breakfast?, "Undereating"?, then cramming your face right before you go to bed? I just dont see how this is healthy, or would help achieve your physique goals.

I mean think of it this way. Even if you eat your "main meal" (not that there should be 1 single main meal) right before you go to bed, your body is still going to digest that within an hour or 2 leaving 5-6 hours of no nutrition, which is fine it happens to everyone and ther is nothing we can do to stop it- we need our sleep. The problem is that when you wake up and youre not getting out of that catobolic state, your muscles are going to go to shit.

I apologize if I got the wrong impression of the diet, I just read up abotu the key points and stuff.

Gonz
08-02-08, 1:35 pm
Well you're supposed to eat a shitload within a certain timeframe in the evening. I loosely follow it, but still use the same principles of the undereating/overeating phase. I did intermittent fasting before that, so this is mostly just me using IF and combining it with the Warrior Diet. It is pretty healthy actually, I have bloodwork and such to prove it. I used to workout early in the morning, have a post workout shake, then have my main big meals at night. Didn't seem like I was getting anywhere that way, I didn't lose fat, although I may have been slightly growing muscle. It was slow and didn't seem as productive, so I'm switching to how it's regularly done by most who do WD and I'm working out at night while having my overeating phase post workout. It'll take some work, but I've found plenty of nutritious calorie dense recipes I can use to help me get there.

I'll explain a little of how intermittent fasting works, which is what I do, I don't really do any eating during the "undereating phase". He (Ori) says you should eat small things during the undereating phase, but also mentions in the book that this is solely because people can't get into water fasting so quickly. I have been doing IF for a while before then so I could. Anyways, when you do Intermittent fasting your body actually becomes more effective. Why? Well because since it has only limited times when it receives food, it has to use less energy. It takes more energy to repair the body, than it does to create new cells. Not only that, but cells become stronger because of less stress on the body from constantly digesting food. Protein synthesis is improved as well. When you wake up in the morning your body is in a state of "fight or flight" and needs to be alert. This is actually when you're body will have a great amount of energy. It needs to keep you awake during this time, the human body is naturally a nocturnal sleeping being. So when you eat large meals at night, your body is using up all it's energy to digest the food, so you naturally become sleepy. This helps when you sleep, and this also goes back to the "warrior" days, when humans would hunt and fight and survive during the day, always on the move, and at night rest and eat their meals in peace. This diet isn't a fad by any means, it uses a lot of common sense, albeit not in a conventional way because most believe you need to be constantly eating to stay alive. The human body has been designed to withstand famines and fasts for a good amount of time, we wouldn't have made it this far in life if that weren't true. When you're sleeping, you're fasting, have you ever gotten up in the middle of the night because "you had to eat"? Most people haven't, and you shouldn't. Intermittent fasting is great, it's the natural detox and gives you more energy and focus. Now I just need to make this work for me, in a body buidling sense and I'm golden. Judging from what Ori and many others look like, I'll trust his judgement, albeit I've seen his "nightly meals" and holy shit. This is what he posted one of his days was:

Morning:
water
Detox supplements (Detox kit)
vitamin C 6 tabs,
1 Warrior Essential (multivitamin)
coffee- freshly ground French press
chopped parsley (handful).

Mid Morning:
Bowl of Berries
3 Warrior Essentials
2 Warrior Vitamin C

Lunch:
Warrior Milk no Sugar Added, 1 serving with lemon rind (whole lemon on top).

Mid afternoon:
1 Essential, 1 Vitamin C

Late Afternoon - pre exercise meal:
Warrior Milk no Sugar added / ½ serving or a couple of Kiwis, calcium supplements /500mg

- CFT training or workshop session / 1hr

Early Evening - Recovery meal:
1 serving Warrior Milk + ½ serving Warrior Whey + 1 tsp of Colostrum.

Dinner/Main Meal:
Salad
fish or omelet 12 �?? 16 eggs/ 4 yolks with tomatoes, garlic, cilantro on top
Broccoli or cabbage stew, with steamed or cooked carrots. Finish with 0.7 �?? 1 lb raw almonds sometimes with thin sliced goat cheese or cave aged raw cheese on the side.

That's pretty insane, but at the same time I'm impressed. Either way I follow this loosely, if I see it isn't working, I'll just tweak it. Intermittent fasting is the only way I want to eat, so if anything I'll just expand my eating window to better suite my needs. Just thought I'd inform you all a little better.

Appollonian
08-02-08, 2:07 pm
How many calories is this, and how much do you weigh/bf%? Are you seeing gains in the gym?

adidas
08-04-08, 7:28 am
I mean think of it this way. Even if you eat your "main meal" (not that there should be 1 single main meal) right before you go to bed, your body is still going to digest that within an hour or 2 leaving 5-6 hours of no nutrition, which is fine it happens to everyone and ther is nothing we can do to stop it- we need our sleep. The problem is that when you wake up and youre not getting out of that catobolic state, your muscles are going to go to shit.

I apologize if I got the wrong impression of the diet, I just read up abotu the key points and stuff.

A steak, cottage cheese, nor milk are going to digest that fast....add in other things like carbs and fats...and you'll be digesting that shit for any were between 6-8 hrs...more than enough to make it through the night...and lets not forget one's metabolism DROPS whilst sleeping...even further extending digestion times.

adidas
08-04-08, 7:31 am
Well you're supposed to eat a shitload within a certain timeframe in the evening. I loosely follow it, but still use the same principles of the undereating/overeating phase. I did intermittent fasting before that, so this is mostly just me using IF and combining it with the Warrior Diet. It is pretty healthy actually, I have bloodwork and such to prove it. I used to workout early in the morning, have a post workout shake, then have my main big meals at night. Didn't seem like I was getting anywhere that way, I didn't lose fat, although I may have been slightly growing muscle. It was slow and didn't seem as productive, so I'm switching to how it's regularly done by most who do WD and I'm working out at night while having my overeating phase post workout. It'll take some work, but I've found plenty of nutritious calorie dense recipes I can use to help me get there.

I'll explain a little of how intermittent fasting works, which is what I do, I don't really do any eating during the "undereating phase". He (Ori) says you should eat small things during the undereating phase, but also mentions in the book that this is solely because people can't get into water fasting so quickly. I have been doing IF for a while before then so I could. Anyways, when you do Intermittent fasting your body actually becomes more effective. Why? Well because since it has only limited times when it receives food, it has to use less energy. It takes more energy to repair the body, than it does to create new cells. Not only that, but cells become stronger because of less stress on the body from constantly digesting food. Protein synthesis is improved as well. When you wake up in the morning your body is in a state of "fight or flight" and needs to be alert. This is actually when you're body will have a great amount of energy. It needs to keep you awake during this time, the human body is naturally a nocturnal sleeping being. So when you eat large meals at night, your body is using up all it's energy to digest the food, so you naturally become sleepy. This helps when you sleep, and this also goes back to the "warrior" days, when humans would hunt and fight and survive during the day, always on the move, and at night rest and eat their meals in peace. This diet isn't a fad by any means, it uses a lot of common sense, albeit not in a conventional way because most believe you need to be constantly eating to stay alive. The human body has been designed to withstand famines and fasts for a good amount of time, we wouldn't have made it this far in life if that weren't true. When you're sleeping, you're fasting, have you ever gotten up in the middle of the night because "you had to eat"? Most people haven't, and you shouldn't. Intermittent fasting is great, it's the natural detox and gives you more energy and focus. Now I just need to make this work for me, in a body buidling sense and I'm golden. Judging from what Ori and many others look like, I'll trust his judgement, albeit I've seen his "nightly meals" and holy shit. This is what he posted one of his days was:

Morning:
water
vitamin C 6 tabs,

Mid Morning:
Bowl of Berries
3 Warrior Essentials
2 Warrior Vitamin C

Lunch:

Mid afternoon:
1 Essential, 1 Vitamin C

Warrior Milk no Sugar added / ½ serving or a couple of Kiwis, calcium supplements /500mg

Dinner/Main Meal:
Salad
Broccoli or cabbage stew, with steamed or cooked carrots. Finish with 0.7 �?? 1 lb raw almonds sometimes with thin sliced goat cheese or cave aged raw cheese on the side.

That's pretty insane, but at the same time I'm impressed. Either way I follow this loosely, if I see it isn't working, I'll just tweak it. Intermittent fasting is the only way I want to eat, so if anything I'll just expand my eating window to better suite my needs. Just thought I'd inform you all a little better.

you're my new best friend!

Gonz
08-04-08, 7:54 am
Well had my first official workout in the evening after work today, pretty damn awesome. My arms were so full and tired I had a hard time trying to do pullups. Needless to say I had a pretty good "refeed" so I hope this works well. I'm going to eat as much as I can after my workout, within a 4 hour time frame or so and see how it works for me. During the day I'll eat plenty of veggies. I bought a lot of canned veggies to eat at work, and hopefully that'll alleviate some of the "fasting" issues without dropping energy levels. We'll see, I hope this works, if it doesn't it's really going to throw me off. As far as digestion goes, food isn't fully digest for around 12-16 hours, so no, I'm not going to eat my muscle at night. When you're sleeping what do you think is fueling your body? Fat, fat is a slow burning energy source. That's what's used when you walk for long distances. The human body is a lot smarter than people think. People think if you don't eat when you're "hungry" you're going to starve yourself. Sorry, not going to happen. Your body is smarter than you, it'll "trick you" into thinking you need to eat much more than you have to. I've gone a good 3 days without eating a few times already, and I've felt great. I sure slept damn good those days. I didn't workout during those times, for obvious reasons. Once you get past the hunger pangs, which usually only last a few minutes, then you realize it's nothing more than your body saying "I'm lazy, feed me". Your body will adapt, and will work more efficiently when it only has a set amount of time to ingest food. I can't say specifically what my gains are, because up until now, I haven't been really serious about lifting. I've been exercising pretty regularly for almost a year now, but I just recently got a good 50kg adjustable weight set and I'm going to up my weight each week. I can already see some mild increases in some areas, and I'm leaning out again. This diet isn't for everyone, but neither is eating multiple times a day. I could go into the specifics and quote from the book and many other sources why doing this is beneficial. Hell if you do a research for Intermittent Fasting, you'll realize that most sights praise it. Now IF and bodybuilding is still relatively new, but I'm sure it's making it's way through, hell I've already known a few places that use IF solely while bodybuilding.

Oh and that "meal plan" wasn't mine, if you read carefully I said that was what Ori (the guy behind the Warrior Diet) ate for one of his days. I'll keep you posted on my results.

Northman
08-04-08, 11:35 pm

Morning:
water
vitamin C 6 tabs,

Mid Morning:
Bowl of Berries
3 Warrior Essentials
2 Warrior Vitamin C

Lunch:

Mid afternoon:
1 Essential, 1 Vitamin C

Dinner/Main Meal:
Salad

This looks like a diet designed to sell a supplement line.

Gonz
08-04-08, 11:58 pm

Yeah, I don't really like how he constantly keeps bringing up his line of products. I agree, it's like his diet is a gimmick to sell his line of supplements. I don't buy any of their supplements.

ghost
08-05-08, 8:27 am
While this looks like a decent diet, you need to remember that this is an Animal run forum. The promotion of other companies products is against the rules.

mjb
06-01-10, 8:12 pm
I am currently following the warrior diet, fast during the day and eat my main meal after my workout at around 6pm.

Any else try this lifestyle?

mjsef88
06-01-10, 8:45 pm
I may be inadvertently be doing this. I work a demanding job, have a crazy clinical schedule along with a crazy class schedule on top of family and girlfriend commitments.

For the past two weeks my "diet" has consisted of protein shakes and (crunchy) peanut butter sandwiches (on wheat bread). When I get home I hit up some cardio and a workout, followed by another shake, then a monster meal, usually a lot of red beef and some sort of potato.

It's not that I'm trying to follow this diet, I'm just going through a hectic part of life right now. I try to eat a square 6 meals a day when I can.

I will say this: I have noticed a lot of change in the mirror (all for the good).

EDIT: And lots (and lots and lots and lots) of Coffee!

Northman
06-02-10, 9:35 am
And lots (and lots and lots and lots) of Coffee!

Are you Canadian or something?

U Mad Brah?
06-02-10, 9:45 am
EDIT: And lots (and lots and lots and lots) of Coffee!

Are you Canadian or something?

coffee ftw brahs

Beowulf
06-02-10, 9:52 am

Looks like it, doesn't it?

fenix237
06-02-10, 2:18 pm
while it's not the ideal diet for everyone, there is plenty about the WD to like, mainly weight loss and maintaining. there is a body of science that support it's claims, but more importantly, it is working (and has worked) for lots of people. even better, is they boast how good they feel with crazy energy. i've read up a bit on it on another board that is respected, where many 'doubters' tried it and came away very impressed- most say it blows away other fat loss diets

people will always be critical of what they are not familiar with, let alone actually try. i'm not saying it's better or worse than other diets, but for people who have actually tried it out, the overwhelming response is positive

you actually eat close to same amount of cals, protein, carbs, and fats as traditional diets, you just eat the majority of those in the few hours before bed. as always, the supplement side of it's is always a marketing tool- not necessary to reap the benefits of the diet

Beowulf
06-02-10, 2:20 pm
while it's not the ideal diet for everyone, there is plenty about the WD to like, mainly weight loss and maintaining. there is a body of science that support it's claims, but more importantly, it is working (and has worked) for lots of people. even better, is they boast how good they feel with crazy energy. i've read up a bit on it on another board that is respected, where many 'doubters' tried it and came away very impressed- most say it blows away other fat loss diets

people will always be critical of what they are not familiar with, let alone actually try. i'm not saying it's better or worse than other diets, but for people who have actually tried it out, the overwhelming response is positive

you actually eat close to same amount of cals, protein, carbs, and fats as traditional diets, you just eat the majority of those in the few hours before bed. as always, the supplement side of it's is always a marketing tool- not necessary to reap the benefits of the diet

Hook, line and sinker;-)

fenix237
06-02-10, 2:28 pm
Hook, line and sinker;-)

exactly! you're spot on bro

Beowulf
06-02-10, 2:36 pm
exactly! you're spot on bro

In all seriousness, I think you're right about many things in your post. Still, anyone can manipulate the science. Too often in this industry, science is made the servant of sales. How many supplement ads do you see touting science? It's nuts. Does it mean, as you say, that the diet doesn't work? Of course not. Truth is, dieting isn't rocket science. It works. But is it the diet or the supplements? This is where clever marketers work--in that space between.

fenix237
06-02-10, 2:47 pm
In all seriousness, I think you're right about many things in your post. Still, anyone can manipulate the science. Too often in this industry, science is made the servant of sales. How many supplement ads do you see touting science? It's nuts. Does it mean, as you say, that the diet doesn't work? Of course not. Truth is, dieting isn't rocket science. It works. But is it the diet or the supplements? This is where clever marketers work--in that space between.

i certainly agree with your point, and i read up here enough to realize you know what you're talking about. but the OP asked if/what everyone knows about the WD. i just relayed what i've come across in a bit of research on it, but nothing to do with the products/supps that 'support' this diet. i've read several 'journals' from lifters who wanted to give this diet a shot despite reservations of catabolism- they vowed not to bash a diet without ever giving it a shot- they came away believers.

out of respect for the Forvm, i cannot name the other board where i researched the WD, but i'm happy to send you links via PM...

Beowulf
06-02-10, 2:50 pm
i certainly agree with your point, and i read up here enough to realize you know what you're talking about. but the OP asked if/what everyone knows about the WD. i just relayed what i've come across in a bit of research on it, but nothing to do with the products/supps that 'support' this diet. i've read several 'journals' from lifters who wanted to give this diet a shot despite reservations of catabolism- they vowed not to bash a diet without ever giving it a shot- they came away believers.

out of respect for the Forvm, i cannot name the other board where i researched the WD, but i'm happy to send you links via PM...

Sometimes, I just like to stir up a little trouble. Hence, being a gadfly, lol. That said, sometimes that trouble is just to get people to think differently or look at something from a different perspective. I lament that too many of us take too many things for granted and don't ask enough questions. Send me the links. I'd be more than happy to discuss this diet in private if you're interested.

LegendKillerJosh
06-02-10, 4:16 pm
each day i have to have atleast one "money meal" i like to call it each day. I do my best to eat consistently all day long, but sometimes work and school and other obligations make a perfect eating schedule impossible. And I get sick of protein bars. So my one "money meal" a day is always something like either a large ass steak and potatos or pasta or whatever or even fast food if necessary. I feel like as long as I get one very large meal (a 16oz steak has 100g of protein) per day then everything I else I eat (which is also a shitload) then I don't have to worry too much. If you get in a large breakfast, one large meal throughout the day, and one large meal before bed (and by large I mean around 100g of protein) then throw in a couple protein bars or shakes and a couple smaller meals like sandwiches or chicken or whatever, then you are good to go. I would never purposely go a long time without eating, but sometimes it happens. Just do your best to feed the machine.

ironshaolin
11-14-10, 7:34 pm
Searched, couldn't find a dedicated thread. since this is the method to the madness section, anybody following the warrior diet? Its great for fat loss, even recomp. I've heard it can be used to bulk, if certain guidelines are followed. Who else likes the idea of eating lightly through the day, and eating REALLY big at night?

jeff00z28
11-14-10, 9:34 pm
i like that idea cuzz i basically do it. Ground beef and low sugar oatmeal for breakfast, 3 protein bars and a few of those oatmeal-to-go bars which have like 18g sugar but im not cutting, and for lunch break 2 cans of tuna and 2 more packets oatmeal. thats all i have time for. i will research the diet

ironshaolin
11-15-10, 9:32 am
The warrior diet follows a principle of undereating and overeating. Basically, from the time you wake up, until the time the overeating phase starts, ALL you can eat is raw fruits and veggies, and light protein such as yogurt, whey, or hard boiled eggs, no more than 2-3. Then, 6 hours before you go to bed, you start overeating. Have a salad with olive oil, then 12-16oz of protein, carbs, and steamed veggies. If your hungry 30 mins later, eat again, anything you want. Go nuts. I've found great results with this having 3 feedings during the day consisting of 1 scoop casein protein+eaa's+berries. Then the night meal will be a salad with olive oil, like a lb of meat, 1-2 cups of rice and beans, steamed spinach

Girevik 69
11-15-10, 11:04 am
Searched, couldn't find a dedicated thread. since this is the method to the madness section, anybody following the warrior diet? Its great for fat loss, even recomp. I've heard it can be used to bulk, if certain guidelines are followed. Who else likes the idea of eating lightly through the day, and eating REALLY big at night?

Ori Hofmekler's books and ideas are always interesting. I don't follow the Warrior Diet per se, but I do typically only have 3 meals a day, and my breakfast and lunch are typically on the light side, followed by a considerably larger dinner. This particular regimen works well for me.

Many will of course argue that Hofmekler's diet goes against the standard accepted practice of "grazing" (5-6 small meals, spaced throughout the day), but it's pretty hard to argue against the guy's lean, sinewy physique:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_er_Nmxnv4TM/TDsnPW0LG2I/AAAAAAAAAic/sacf1ykMXQ0/s1600/OriHofmekler.jpg

As for using the Warrior Diet for bulking up, however, I just don't know.

And Hofmekler's Warrior Diet book is intriguing not just for his ideas on diet & nutrition, but also for his commentary on masculinity--comparing the men of ancient times with the men of today. His stuff is well worth reading.

naturalguy
11-15-10, 11:17 am
I like the principles at least the parts about not eating anything processed, makes sense from a health stand point.

adidas
11-18-10, 1:25 pm

I have been basically doing this for the last 4-5+ months and love it.

and my lightly eating through the day consists only of green tea w/honey @ 0500 & a PWO meal of canned fish & some fish oil (if needed).

then I eat my main course between 1730-2200...I feel great!

kevin.eleven88
11-23-10, 11:19 am
The warrior diet follows a principle of undereating and overeating. Basically, from the time you wake up, until the time the overeating phase starts, ALL you can eat is raw fruits and veggies, and light protein such as yogurt, whey, or hard boiled eggs, no more than 2-3. Then, 6 hours before you go to bed, you start overeating. Have a salad with olive oil, then 12-16oz of protein, carbs, and steamed veggies. If your hungry 30 mins later, eat again, anything you want. Go nuts. I've found great results with this having 3 feedings during the day consisting of 1 scoop casein protein+eaa's+berries.

michealshoods
11-27-10, 7:31 am
The Warrior diet is type of overeating phase at night.& as per the recent data many people in America not control on his/her diet. becoze of warrior diet certain problems are created.

Stovall
11-27-10, 3:44 pm
This diet is also written about in a book call The Purposeful Primitive by Marty Gallagher. That was a really good book. Some parts weren't the best to me and it is mostly about the powerlifting aspect but was a good read. I tried the Warrior diet before but I had a constant headache for some reason so I had to give it up. Wish anyone the best if they try it. Never hurts to try new things. Everyone reacts different to diets so go for it.

Shukin
11-27-10, 5:08 pm
I have the book but haven't read it yet, I am one who likes to read and try as many things as possible than draw my own conclusions. I am currently loosely basing my diet on the Paleo for Athletes book, although it is for endurance athletes he goes into very nice detail about sports supplement timing (not recommending and particular brand). I have also run the eat right for your blood type, I think I actually lost size on that one....
Reading the above posts about the one meal a day thing.... I recall an radio interview with Serge Nubret where he said he only ate one meal a day, at night, I forget the actual amount of calories ( I will re listen and post) but is was a shit load! Although I love Nubret's look, I am always hesitant to try diets by people I am unsure if they are "Natural" or not, because if they are not, I who am, may not reap the same rewards.

Respect,
Shukin

fenix237
12-01-10, 4:38 pm
it should be mentioned here that the WD was never recommended/designed for anybody who wants to get 'freaky' big and strong. hence, not a diet for aspiring bodybuilders and powerlifters who want maximum size/strength

there are a things you can do to make it more anabolic and less catabolic ie. adding in EAA/BCAA's throughout the day when 'lightfasting' and opening up the eating window at night to get extra cals/protein in.

Girevik 69
12-02-10, 11:08 am
it should be mentioned here that the WD was never recommended/designed for anybody who wants to get 'freaky' big and strong. hence, not a diet for aspiring bodybuilders and powerlifters who want maximum size/strength.

I agree that the Warrior Diet isn't really applicable to folks specifically working to get big (eg., bodybuilders), but I disagree with the strength aspect. There have always been plenty of folks who aren't particularly large, who are nevertheless incredibly strong (my late paternal grandfather immediately comes to mind--a skinny Italian immigrant who was a stonemason). A stronger muscle does not necessarily have to be a bigger one. There is a neuromuscular factor: tension = force. An athlete who can tense his muscles harder can generate more power.

This explains--at least in part--why many not-so-big people are extremely strong. The great Arthur Saxon was 5' 10", and 200 lbs--not a huge guy by any means--and yet some of his lifting records have never been broken. There are plenty of other examples, but you get the idea.

Peace,

G69

adidas
12-02-10, 11:27 am
I agree that the Warrior Diet isn't really applicable to folks specifically working to get big (eg., bodybuilders), but I disagree with the strength aspect. There have always been plenty of folks who aren't particularly large, who are nevertheless incredibly strong (my late paternal grandfather immediately comes to mind--a skinny Italian immigrant who was a stonemason). A stronger muscle does not necessarily have to be a bigger one. There is a neuromuscular factor: tension = force. An athlete who can tense his muscles harder can generate more power.

This explains--at least in part--why many not-so-big people are extremely strong. The great Arthur Saxon was 5' 10", and 200 lbs--not a huge guy by any means--and yet some of his lifting records have never been broken. There are plenty of other examples, but you get the idea.

Peace,

G69

the is a differnce between absolute strength and strength relative to body weight...

ok I admit I just lost my train of thought on where I was goin gwith that. lol someone interupted me at work whilst I was trying to type. lol

Girevik 69
12-02-10, 11:34 am
the is a differnce between absolute strength and strength relative to body weight...

Saxon displayed plenty of both, as have other lifters. No one--of any size--has ever beaten his records in the bent press or two-hand anyhow, which are slow lifts (as opposed to explosive ones, like the snatch or C & J).

ok I admit I just lost my train of thought on where I was goin gwith that. lol someone interupted me at work whilst I was trying to type. lol

LOL.... no worries, brother.

PORTERHOUSE
12-02-10, 12:49 pm
To be strong, you still need to be able to recover, which would be a concern to many people when considering this diet, whether powerlifting or bodybuilding.

Was Arthur Saxon on the WD?

adidas
12-02-10, 2:02 pm
To be strong, you still need to be able to recover, which would be a concern to many people when considering this diet, whether powerlifting or bodybuilding.

IDK if he did the WD...but since it was 1910 I highly doubt whey protein and waxy Maize where a priority either or anything more than 3 meals a day.

Shukin
12-02-10, 5:33 pm
Saxon displayed plenty of both, as have other lifters. No one--of any size--has ever beaten his records in the bent press or two-hand anyhow, which are slow lifts (as opposed to explosive ones, like the snatch or C & J).

IDK if he did the WD...but since it was 1910 I highly doubt whey protein and waxy Maize where a priority either or anything more than 3 meals a day.

Very interesting points

Girevik 69
12-03-10, 11:02 am

Again, I'm not disagreeing about the bodybuilding issue; the Warrior Diet hardly seems applicable to the needs of a modern-day bodybuilder.

But in terms of strength, I don't see what the problem is. As long as the athlete isn't overtraining and has an adequate caloric intake with the right amount of macro- and micronutrients, recovery shouldn't be a problem, whether on the WD or some other diet.

He was not, but that's not even the point. The issue was brought up where muscle size was equated with muscle strength, and I simply used Saxon as an example that that is not always the case. Are athletes with the biggest muscles invariably the strongest? No.

Girevik 69
12-03-10, 11:14 am

All the more reason you should consider the other factors which have an impact on strength, like genetics, training methods, the neuromuscular connection I mentioned earlier, etc. They didn't have supplements back then, and they didn't "graze" by eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day; despite this, they displayed absolutely incredible (and functional) strength.

Strength trainer extraordinaire Paul Chek once commented on this very subject:

Go back to the days of Eugene Sandow. Look at his body. He wasn't using whey protein. He wasn't using steroids because they didn't exist. He drank milk, ate real food, trained hard, and produced a strong body

eddieanton
12-17-10, 12:30 pm
Diet is the habit of the ancient warriors who fight for not much to eat during the day, but like in the evening meal, a great less likely to be attacked so you can rest and enjoy their food. One of the benefits of this diet is that you do not have to give up your favourite foods and other dietary love. This is when you eat more than you eat. This diet does not require you to try to avoid processed foods and focus on organic food, which has been shown to be better for you.

happydevas
12-18-10, 7:06 am
A balanced breakfast should contain protein and fiber. Protein can come from lean meats, eggs, beans or dairy products. Fiber is found in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. A good example of a healthy breakfast can be something simple like a hard boiled egg, an orange and a bowl of grain cereal with low fat milk.

denimass
12-18-10, 9:00 am
Guerrero scheme follows a principle of not eating enough and overeating. Basically, from the moment you wake up to the time of the first phase of overeating, all you can eat fruits and vegetables, proteins and light such as yogurt, buttermilk, boiled eggs or not more than 2-3. Then, six hours before bedtime, begin to overeat. A salad with olive oil, then 12-16 ounces of protein, carbohydrates and steamed vegetables.