PDA

View Full Version : Training at home vs. the gym

Suleiman
02-05-07, 7:28 pm
how many guys have home gyms and which do you prefer the home or the local place

Enforcer25
02-05-07, 9:53 pm
I've got a home gym, I'm hoping to get some pics up later. I haven't worked out in a public gym for a few years. I like the home gym because it's convenient, I can go anytime, and no waiting. I have free weights, a cage, bench, and pulldown machine. I can do quite a few exercises. I also have a treadmill.

brian
03-23-07, 10:11 pm
Hey whats sup brothers,
Just wondering if you guys mostly train at home or in the gym. Have allot of stuff at home but nothings like lifting at the gym. so let me know!

CAPO190
03-23-07, 10:12 pm
I prefer working out by myself at home but I'm kind of forced to workout at the high school gym on the weekdays.

DreamZero
03-23-07, 10:14 pm
definetly at gym.. just going out to pump iron gives no choice but to go 100%. + there is some kind of commitment energy in there..

The_Beast
03-23-07, 10:16 pm
Definitely the Gym.

Nothing like doing some Heavy Ez Bar Curls then Walking right over to the Calf Raise machine and bang out some reps with 450lbs. Working out at home is kind of like a Backyard Mechanic working on your Porche...You just wont get the same results.-

The_Beast

Gainer65
03-23-07, 10:49 pm
I perfer working out at home.I have everything I need.My gym is never closed,no traffic,no waiting,no clowns taking up space.I can be as loud as I want,and I can play whatever music I want, as loud as I want.It just works for me with my work schedule and trying to raise two kids.

richardm
03-23-07, 10:57 pm
Home - I don't feel like driving 230 miles each way to the gym (well that you can make noise at). The pleasures of living in remote Alaska. Never a line, and never dull. How many people get the pleasure of running on a beach with ice taller than them to duck and dodge around? Walk it during -20 you'll burn more calories than a jogger in California. :P

RedIron 392
03-23-07, 11:08 pm
Most of the time at the gym,but I pull at home and sometimes I lift at home when the weather is bad or I just don't feel like making the drive.

Later

feelthepain12
03-23-07, 11:14 pm
Well I usually work out at the weight room at my school since I'm still in high school and the facilities are actually pretty good. So I stick with that most of the time, but if I don't have school that day then I'll work out in my basement.

bleed_alone
03-23-07, 11:24 pm
i'm a total gym advocate, but a good buddy of mine and me recently started putting some stuff down in his basement, his house is closer than the gym anyway. all we've got right now is a rack, bar, dbs and a shit ton of plates, so we can really only do shoulders/arms/chest there for the most part, but the dark environment, no waiting, your own music blasting, you can't beat that shit. once we spend more dough and make it perfect, i think i'd prefer that to a commercial gym any day.

ChrisG
03-24-07, 12:03 am
I lift at home just because I don't have a vehicle for another month.. some days it's hard to get out there and get focused but all I do is just crank the music, look at my log of my progress, think about my goals, and then pump that iron.

goody19
03-24-07, 4:29 am
I could never lift at home. Way too many distractions. TV, phone, dog, roomates, etc. I love the atmosphere of a gym. The sounds of metal clanging, distant grunts, and motivation. Lookin around and seeing everybody cheating and joking around and being morons. Gets me into a good rage... good for movin iron. And all the people who compete that i want to beat on stage eventually

welshwarrior
03-24-07, 10:44 am
In my opinion you can't beat a good gym for maximum results. I used to train at home when i didn't have enough confidence to join a gym but then i manned up and joined and got amazing results. I'm not sayin training at home is a bad thing though, whatever floats your boat is cool with me so long as it doesn't sink my ship lol. But seriously I dont think a full workout can be done at home with all of the comforts around.

ironshaolin
03-24-07, 10:46 am
Currentl, gym but it is my life's goal to own a house with a big basement and install my own gym. I've already searched the pieces I'd need, and I can put together a complete gym for about 7000. power rack, smith machine, cables, and Powerblock makes dumbells that can be made up to 135 lbs adjustable by 5 lb increments. Throw a leverage machine from powertech on top of that for when you need the extra added machine, and you're good to go. Besides cables, I don't really use much other than barbells and dumbells, so a home gym is a good source i think.

Merouria
03-24-07, 11:20 am
Gym all the time, No distractions ... No being lazy.

The Kraken
03-24-07, 11:23 am
Both places have their merits but I like training at my fathers house because it fits my schedule better.Not to mention I like to be alone when I lift.

Giant Killer
03-24-07, 12:20 pm
Both places have pro's and con's. I won't get into con's, but, right now since gym dues have taken a back seat to keeping electricity on, I'm a homelifter.
The gym has a great sense of motivation, when you see others busting their ass, you want to bust yours. Theres also comraderie, if you're into that sort of thing, haha.
But the home is a great fort of solitude and intensity you can rely on at a moments notice. Home gyms are great, but only if you can maintain a well-rounded routine on the equipment you have. Especially good for beginning lifters as this usually forces you to focus on free-weight mass building ass kicking work.

200lb weakling
03-24-07, 12:31 pm
Good idea for a topic to post.

I'm 80 or 90% home. Have a power rack and a nice bench in basement. I like home because I have a family and can keep eye on kids if I need to. They are pre/early teens so can mostly take care of themselves but I'm there if they need me.

I also like to rest between sets a little more than average and I can go throw clothes in the dryer or pay a bill or something in the 3 minutes between sets.

I do like to go to the gym a couple times a month. I can't do anything at home that involves a cable so like to go do pulldowns or seated rows just to change things up. I like to workout with people sometimes, too. I love the gym atmosphere.

What cardio I do (not tons) is jogging in the neighborhood but I like to go to the gym to use a treadmill or elliptical sometimes.

mcbeast
03-24-07, 12:46 pm
if i had a home gym..or lived in a house for that matter..id lift there..just hook up the speakers n subs...all me..pure concentration..i hate distractions..

ChrisG
03-24-07, 6:02 pm
if i had a home gym..or lived in a house for that matter..id lift there..just hook up the speakers n subs...all me..pure concentration..i hate distractions..

Yea bro that's how I am. I got a room setup out in the barn away from everyone. When I go out there and crank up the music everyone knows to stay away until I'm done haha.

ncsu06
03-24-07, 6:42 pm
no weights at the house so it is gym for me. I am a collegiate athlete and we have our own gym at school and i prefer to workout there. There is hardly anyone in there during the day and they have everything you need and then some. Whatever my work out calls for i can do...and there are good acoustics to so the grunts are amplyfied. great concetration and motivation!

The_Beast
03-24-07, 7:54 pm
really, for as what anyone says, you just cant get the same Results from workouts in the comfort of your own home as in the gym. Straight up.-

The_Beast

Mlyon
03-25-07, 12:53 am
It depends on the commitment and equipment you have. I started in the gym and made great gains. I know have a three year old and lift at home. I have a good sqat rack, bench press, and hack squat/leg press. I can do it all here BUT I do miss the gym and clangin iron!

Maccabee
03-25-07, 1:09 am
I can just imagine Iam doing deads and crashing the weight on the floor while my family is doin there daily shit. Not gonna happen. I prefer the gym cause when I am at home and I have trained at home before. I am always asked to do stuff, and as an Animal I cant really stop my workout to do something for my parents. Cause if I dont do it I am a dead man lol. Gym is better. More conveinient.

Musclecop
03-25-07, 10:10 pm
I like to do both. Offseason mostly home. Precontest definately at the gym. It's my second home Havertown Health and Fitness. Motivation comes from within but changing it up helps too.

Knightmare
03-26-07, 8:24 am
I find out working out at the gym inspires me a lot more. I get to train with a few British Natural Champions, and I find the energy is great to push you into that "one more rep" mentality. I think someone screaming blue murder in your face always helps, and can only be found at a gym. Plus its a lot easier to get someone to spot you.

I save home training for cardio, and flexibility work

mcbeast
03-26-07, 9:37 am
Yea bro that's how I am. I got a room setup out in the barn away from everyone. When I go out there and crank up the music everyone knows to stay away until I'm done haha.

i officially envy you....
im not too into gyms..
i wna be alone,with the exception of a spotter on an occasional chest day..

but one day..wethere it be open up a hxc gymm..or make a dungeon just for myself..it will be done..

dnise
03-26-07, 11:27 am
I have a decent setup in my basement but I always go to the gym. I find it WAY to easy to get distracted when I'm at home trying to work out.

BigAnt
03-26-07, 2:53 pm
Hey whats sup brothers,
Just wondering if you guys mostly train at home or in the gym. Have allot of stuff at home but nothings like lifting at the gym. so let me know!

I train at both...My home-basement gym has all comerical equipment (Cybex, Streamline, Icarian, Bodymasters) and tons of heavy weights-dumbbells, racks and benches. But that "hello" from the front desk person at the gym is nice to hear....or the couple of guys that train at 5:30pm everyday that can spot you do help!

gnoll5
03-26-07, 3:40 pm
i train at home. i used to go to the gym, but it isn't much of a gym, and the only thing i miss is a squat rack. i really don't miss the people there trying to 'help' out, the gym is extremely small and only one bench, one rack etc, so if it was busy there was always a wait, and always someone with an opinion...but this has been well covered. i like it at home, my rules, my tempo, no dicking around.

kyderz
05-21-07, 6:50 pm
I used search, and couldn't find crap on this, so I'll ask it here.

Does anyone like home gyms better than maybe a public gym?

I used to work out in my father's friend's garage.

It was fucking sick in there; Winter was cold, Summer was hot.

But I loved every bit of it. It seemed real. Nobody to impress, nobody to judge you.

That's how it should be.

Rage
05-21-07, 8:43 pm
I used search, and couldn't find crap on this, so I'll ask it here.

Does anyone like home gyms better than maybe a public gym?

I used to work out in my father's friend's garage.

It was fucking sick in there; Winter was cold, Summer was hot.

But I loved every bit of it. It seemed real. Nobody to impress, nobody to judge you.

That's how it should be.

I train at my work were it's just me and my training partner (A-Train) and I absolutely love it. But it's certainly not for everyone. I know plenty (in fact most) Animals that would much rather feed off the energy that quite a few gyms provide.

Khaled_Basha
08-09-07, 2:36 pm
im fairly new to the sport, i signed up for a gym membership about a year ago but found myself only going about 2 days a week, due to work ( 2 jobs ) and school..i take evening classes so by that time the school gym is already closed, so ive been training at home, doing what i can with what i have. 100 pounds of weight, thats all. All i can work out is my arms ( with the weight) i dont have a bench, so chest workouts are out.unless its just pushups, so my question is ,are there any mass building techniqies, any tricks, secrets anything that can build mass with just 100 pounds?. with that amount of weight on the barebell i can curl 10-12 reps..help me out guys : )l

rjs
08-09-07, 2:56 pm
for back. you can try to find a spot where you can do pullups. bent over rows.

what do you have the weights on? a barbell or dumbells? if it's a pair of dumbells, the following could be helpfull for your chest. what i sometimes do is to lie flat on the floor and do db presses.

For legs. I can think of walking lounges, squats, stiff leg dead lifts.

shoulders: seated / stand up military presses. upright rows. clean & press.

triceps / chest: grap two chairs. position them facing each other. put the palm of your hands on one, your feet on the other and dip.

over time you would definitivately have to get some more plates to challenge yourself. see, i started out doing these things,and as you get stronger you'd wanna add weight.

Peace and good luck

MassMonster
08-09-07, 11:28 pm
100pds aint gunna do u ne good.... but for different things to add weight get big hooks and empty paint cans fill it up wit water and rocks.... (ghetto lifting...) works for the in need lifter lol

hjayss
08-11-07, 6:35 am
I was in the same boat dont worry...Do you have some db where you can adjust the weight...You need them and you need the right away you are missing out on some good shit...
go to a place like play it again sports and you get two make sure they are the same size nd weight...you can w/o chest back shoulders legs abs db's are way more versitile than bb's.
but if strapped for cash for chest okay flor presses..
not a lot of weight means you have to put in a lot of reps that is all add weight to your collection little by little 10lbs here 5lbs there all the other routines are simple but db's will give you more versatility and complete your routines.
of course deads, rows, for back
shrugs, military presses(seated/standing), for shoulders
lunges, goodmornings,squats for legs
bb curls for arms you can get a good pump by doind 21's or crazy 8's(if you got a partner buddy curls are the bomb any questions on any of these pm me..good luck bro...

Carpe Diem P.T
02-26-08, 11:23 pm
I have a gym at home, its pretty much all i need (nothing fancy though) yet i just dont go as hard at home or have the same motivation as i do when im at the gym.

now the gym i go to is a small gym, theres no hot chicks to perve on, i just love the vibe i think. I love having all the machines around even though i wont be using them.

I have a treadmill and a bike at home but I would rather go to the gym and use theres. Not just because it saves my energy bill, but that does come in to it ;)

if im stuck for time and cant get out then i will bust it at home.

Maybe its because i like catching up with the regulars and saying hi. not stopping and talking for 45 mins during a set. thats not how i roll. I think i just like seeing the faces and watching everyone else while i do my thing. its not as boring.

What about you guys? do you prefer to go to a gym or run around your block and do dips on your stairs?

nightrain
02-27-08, 1:39 am
Personally I prefer to hit it at home. I have enough equipment at home to get it done. Its not alot but I can get the job done with it. I don't have the time to go to the gym either. I used to go to the gym quite some time ago but I would get pissed off waiting for a bench or something else because people were parking thier asses on it and doing nothing but socializing. My cage that I have has safeties and cable attachments for all of the common exercises and I have a ton of dumbells. I'm interested on how you do dips on the stairs though?

Carpe Diem P.T
02-27-08, 2:10 am
I'm interested on how you do dips on the stairs though?

this sort of gear minus the giant drop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgOV4i_FGzE

actually this guys a freak. check him out here, mad chinups and dips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VQhRFLSyw&feature=related

Cstlfx
02-27-08, 9:36 am
I have a gym at home, its pretty much all i need (nothing fancy though) yet i just dont go as hard at home or have the same motivation as i do when im at the gym.

now the gym i go to is a small gym, theres no hot chicks to perve on, i just love the vibe i think. I love having all the machines around even though i wont be using them.

I have a treadmill and a bike at home but I would rather go to the gym and use theres. Not just because it saves my energy bill, but that does come in to it ;)

if im stuck for time and cant get out then i will bust it at home.

Maybe its because i like catching up with the regulars and saying hi. not stopping and talking for 45 mins during a set. thats not how i roll. I think i just like seeing the faces and watching everyone else while i do my thing. its not as boring.

What about you guys? do you prefer to go to a gym or run around your block and do dips on your stairs?

I Understand where you're coming from. When I go to the gym and theres a few guys there, they always have a good intenisty about them, so its a great feeling. So I'm pumped and ready to go, plus there cool, say a word to them here and there. Plus, at the gym I can grab a random person for a spot if I need one that day.

The only reason i'd want a gym of my own is to get away from all the morons clogging the place up, not actually lifting, wasting my space. But at home, I wouldnt have the transfered intensity from others, and I wouldnt be able to grab random spots.

Prototype
02-27-08, 11:24 am
i have all the equipment to get the job done. a bench punchin bag lat tower ,attachments
tredmill. also play my music as loud as i want.

Enforcer
02-27-08, 11:33 am
Both. I'd switch it up from time to time. Maybe train at home for 2 days and train at the gym for 3, this way I'm using all different types of machines and keeping my body guessing from workout to workout. Because lets face it if your not a millionare and have all the space to fit it, it's pretty much impossible to get all different types of equipment in your house. Pretty much just the basics-but don't get me wrong the basics is what got us all here. The machine that the gym has may just do some fine tuning. So I would train in both places just mixing it up from time to time.

ironshaolin
02-27-08, 11:42 am
its a goal of mine to someday have a house with a gym in it. I aim to stock it something fierce, however. For now, its all gym. Someday, here's the setup I have planned: power rack w/adjustable bench, dumbells up to at least 135, smith machine, powertec leverage machine, pullup/dip station, leg press/hack squat sled, cable station. That should give me enough variety to workout until I'm too old to lift.

Carpe Diem P.T
02-27-08, 3:29 pm
My gym is ok. its mostly cheap gear. this is all the stuff i use to run my p.t business from home.

I have:

1 x Smith Machine
1 x Incline/flat/decline bench
1 x spin bike w/44lb fly wheel
1 x york millenium treadmill
1 x all in one machine - lat pull down, seated chest press, leg ext. (obviously a shit load more exercises you can do on it via different attachments eg single cable, rowing etc.)
1 x rack dumbbells (only up to 55lb, beginners stuff) - rubber hex
1 x range of free weights up to 40lb plates. All Rubber.
2 x swiss balls
6 x resistance bands of different tension
1 x bosu ball
3 x medicine balls
16 x rubber floor mats
5 x sets madison punch and spar gloves
4 x mini hurdles
1 x body harness with parachute for sprints
1 x harness with tail for holding back runner
1 x polar heart rate monitor
1 x blood pressure monitor
1 x reebok step
5 x multi machine attachments
1 x long bar bell
1 x rubber female barbell
6 x small rubber hand weights
3 x large mirror
1 x waiting room with couch, filing cabinet with programs, reading material and stationary.
1 x fridge & tv
1 x ez curl bar
1 x hammer curl bar
1 x york decline ab bench
1 x situp machine
1 x ab roller wheel
1 x industrial fan and stereo
10 x posters - eg animal pics, stretching, motivational
5 x skipping ropes
2 x pilates balls (isoballs)
2 x weights trees
2 x asthma puffers and ventilators (just incase someone has an attack)
3 x bags of jelly beans (diabetics etc)
1 x payment box
1 x body fat scales
1 x fat calipers
2 x measuring tapes
2 x large kick pads
6 x stop watches (im always losing those fuckers)
1 x clock (only way to monitor how long the session has gone for. i feel rude looking at my watch all the time. with the clock you can just casually just glance up. doesnt make the client feel like you want to get it over and done with)

thats about it i guess. tools of the trade.

Riesjs
02-27-08, 3:39 pm
My gym is ok. its mostly cheap gear. this is all the stuff i use to run my p.t business from home.

I have:

1 x Smith Machine
1 x Incline/flat/decline bench
1 x spin bike w/44lb fly wheel
1 x york millenium treadmill
1 x all in one machine - lat pull down, seated chest press, leg ext. (obviously a shit load more exercises you can do on it via different attachments eg single cable, rowing etc.)
1 x rack dumbbells (only up to 55lb, beginners stuff) - rubber hex
1 x range of free weights up to 40lb plates. All Rubber.
2 x swiss balls
6 x resistance bands of different tension
1 x bosu ball
3 x medicine balls
16 x rubber floor mats
5 x sets madison punch and spar gloves
4 x mini hurdles
1 x body harness with parachute for sprints
1 x harness with tail for holding back runner
1 x polar heart rate monitor
1 x blood pressure monitor
1 x reebok step
5 x multi machine attachments
1 x long bar bell
1 x rubber female barbell
6 x small rubber hand weights
3 x large mirror
1 x waiting room with couch, filing cabinet with programs, reading material and stationary.
1 x fridge & tv
1 x ez curl bar
1 x hammer curl bar
1 x york decline ab bench
1 x situp machine
1 x ab roller wheel
1 x industrial fan and stereo
10 x posters - eg animal pics, stretching, motivational
5 x skipping ropes
2 x pilates balls (isoballs)
2 x weights trees
2 x asthma puffers and ventilators (just incase someone has an attack)
3 x bags of jelly beans (diabetics etc)
1 x payment box
1 x body fat scales
1 x fat calipers
2 x measuring tapes
2 x large kick pads
6 x stop watches (im always losing those fuckers)
1 x clock (only way to monitor how long the session has gone for. i feel rude looking at my watch all the time. with the clock you can just casually just glance up. doesnt make the client feel like you want to get it over and done with)

thats about it i guess. tools of the trade.

wow -you hiring? lol , great stuff

spyderman4g63
02-27-08, 3:40 pm
For me it's all about the atmosphere. Some gyms are great. Some suck. At home you can do what you want, but I like feeding off other people's energy.

The Guardian
02-27-08, 3:53 pm
Def agree there. when your in a gym with those who are truly going balls out, it gives you that second wind to truly pound it out. Atmosphere is huge. But sometimes its good to just be alone and bury yourself without prying eyes.

SDR
02-27-08, 4:22 pm
For me it's all about the atmosphere. Some gyms are great. Some suck. At home you can do what you want, but I like feeding off other people's energy.

agreed, for nearly a good 8 months I trained at home - sometimes with a partner - while it was good and i always trained hard, i have to say ive gained alot more since training at a proper gym. main problem was not always having a spotter on hand.

jeff00z28
02-27-08, 6:14 pm
I'm lookin into some nice condos for in a year or 2. they have basements. I wanna turn the basement into a gym. posters i like on the wall. I have this huge stereo i blew like 900$ on a few years ago and hardly ever used, surround sound and everything that will be blasted w/ the music i want to hear. I will have all my friends over to train, and those that don't train i will make them start training it will be great. I will still go to a gym too depending on what workout i have planned. I like going to the gym but it has been a dream of mine to have a gym in my basement. i have on ehere at my parents house but its not adequate for a complete training session. also it would be cool to set up a tv down there and play bodybuilding movies

Carpe Diem P.T
02-27-08, 7:01 pm
I'm lookin into some nice condos for in a year or 2. they have basements. I wanna turn the basement into a gym. posters i like on the wall. I have this huge stereo i blew like 900$ on a few years ago and hardly ever used, surround sound and everything that will be blasted w/ the music i want to hear. I will have all my friends over to train, and those that don't train i will make them start training it will be great. I will still go to a gym too depending on what workout i have planned. I like going to the gym but it has been a dream of mine to have a gym in my basement. i have on ehere at my parents house but its not adequate for a complete training session. also it would be cool to set up a tv down there and play bodybuilding movies

i have one work out buddy and his wife wont let him out of his house. lol

Brute
02-27-08, 7:16 pm

I prefer to go to a gym. Home has its advantages (no driving, no sharing, music is loud as you want, it never closes, quick access to shower, shake, food and bed), but a good gym has machines and a variety of free weights that you can't squeeze all into an apartment. I work out at home only because of cost constraints (attacking the student loans).

intoodeep25
02-27-08, 9:44 pm
i prefer my house..ive got an amazing setup i was blessed with..full wall mirror on one whole wall, all the equipment i need minus a few pieces that would be beneficial but not necessary, music that i want, convenience of being right in my house, etc..i can jump around and get crazy if i need to or i can be calm and focused without anyone walking around or bothering me...i love it, when i get my own place ill definitely make having a nice home gym top priority

colossul
03-08-08, 1:23 pm
i have a smythe machine, loads of weight, dumbbells up to 100 lbs (that's all i need i'm just a kid) ez curl bars straight olympic bars etc. etc. I got tired of dealing with the meatheads at my gym some i'm gonna train as hard as i can in the garage and stick to the heavy free weight basics. Such as,

barbell rows
deadlifts
presses from all angles
upright rows
squats
front squats
barbell curls
close grip bench
you get the drift. anyone else train at home?

MetalAsh12
03-08-08, 1:26 pm
No, but I've always wanted to. Sounds like a good deal you have, good luck.

BigAnt has a pretty nice basement gym...he has some pictures of it around here somewhere.

norrim1
03-08-08, 1:36 pm
Sounds like you have everything to need. I'm assuming your a teenager, so the things that you mentioned are great for building a strong foundation. You have the right mindset, just stick to the basics. I have a decent set-up in my basement and I can just as easily lift down there somedays, rather than going to the gym.

Cstlfx
03-08-08, 2:24 pm
Actually, I was pretty self-conscious when I was younger. So I worked at home until I was able to lift what I thought was a decent weight. I only had a bar, 300 lbs of plates, bench and rack, and some standard changeable DB's. Your gym is lookin nice. Have fun.

LHS Monster
03-08-08, 2:26 pm
sounds better than my basement gym.. you should be working with the heavy basics and you shouldnt have a problem putting on some decent size good luck bro

Shukin
03-08-08, 6:29 pm
Mate, I have been training in my home gym since the beginning... Only thing is I don't think of it as a home gym, it's 'the gym'. I treat it like it should be, I wake up, have my Universal/Animal sups and go in there turn up the music and get F'n busy!
I have made great gains over the past year and some months. Focus is the key.....Stay focused...Anyone can do it! Your time there is 'your time there' don't waste it!
I have been using a combination Big Ant and G-Diesel work out drink, search for it, great to keep you going. Get some mirrors and lots of music!
Get off the internet and go train!

Cheers,
Shukin

MassMan
03-08-08, 6:59 pm
i have a smythe machine, loads of weight, dumbbells up to 100 lbs (that's all i need i'm just a kid) ez curl bars straight olympic bars etc. etc. I got tired of dealing with the meatheads at my gym some i'm gonna train as hard as i can in the garage and stick to the heavy free weight basics. Such as,

barbell rows
deadlifts
presses from all angles
upright rows
squats
front squats
barbell curls
close grip bench

Damn man... You've got dumbbells that go up to 100lbs. I have a rack, adjustable bench, olympic bars, 1000lbs of weight plates, and some adjustable dumbbells. You just need the basics to get huge and strong. I love training in my garage. Good luck man.

Stovall
03-09-08, 12:21 am
I have trained at home for a while now and I enjoy it much more than I did at the gym. I don't have a nice setup or anything but it does the job of building my foundation. I've pissed off some downstairs neighbors when I lived in my apartment. Oh well. I'm in a house now and I can go all out without being threatened with eviction. Train hard man. It will be worth it.

GRUNT
03-09-08, 12:25 am
your gym, your rules.....thats priceless.

MassMan
03-10-08, 6:00 pm
The best part of a home gym is that there are no posers or annoying people. YOu don't even need a training partner if you own a powerrack/smith machine. Whoever invented the powerrack, God bless you.

bigrhino
03-10-08, 6:03 pm
I would never want to go into a gym if I had my own in my basement. You have some nice stuff too.

need2getBIG
03-10-08, 6:06 pm
yeah,i have a bench which doubles as a squat rack,olympic bar,300 pound weight set,i need higher db's tho,and i chinup/dip/pushupbar in one,and i workout in my room with all this lol i really want a powerrack though just to keep things more simple,im all freeweights no cables

MassMan
03-10-08, 6:39 pm
yeah,i have a bench which doubles as a squat rack,olympic bar,300 pound weight set,i need higher db's tho,and i chinup/dip/pushupbar in one,and i workout in my room with all this lol i really want a powerrack though just to keep things more simple,im all freeweights no cables

Powerracks are the best invention since free weights. Nuff said.

need2getBIG
03-10-08, 6:44 pm
i hear that

BackRowBack
03-10-08, 7:03 pm
Man just be careful lifting by yourself. Preferably get your dad or a brother to spot you. I don't know how old you are, but a guy I knew died when he was benching by himself and the bar fell on his neck; he was like 11 or 12 or something. So just be careful.

need2getBIG
03-10-08, 7:06 pm
yeah bro there have been times i wish i had a spotter

forx
03-10-08, 9:05 pm

barbell rows
deadlifts
presses from all angles
upright rows
squats
front squats
barbell curls
close grip bench

Been at home now for over 6 years, here's the gym

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm3txfMxCQ8

I don't think I could ever go back to a commercial gym , everything I need is right here

GJN5002
03-10-08, 11:29 pm
more power to you man. My dad has a basement set up but i just cant get as motivated down there as i do at the gym. As soon as i step into the gym its on, but in the basement theres too many distractions.

Aus4484
03-11-08, 3:45 am
I'm back in the gym for the time being, but I do have a power rack and oly bar at home. Some of the biggest, densest gains have been while training in a little 10' by 12' room. It forced me to do the basic, simple heavy shit. Plus, you don't have to worry about anyone else, or wait for equipment.

Tiny
03-11-08, 7:55 am

barbell rows
deadlifts
presses from all angles
upright rows
squats
front squats
barbell curls
close grip bench

I built my entire initial foundation at home and today I perfer to train home when possible. Nothing beats being able to control your atmosphere, and if you can get your head into it, it can be a lot easier to focus most intently at home.

ghost
03-11-08, 8:01 am
My gym is my basement... even held an ABC event there

Tiny
03-11-08, 8:05 am
My gym is my basement... even held an ABC event there

THAT'S bad ass.

krazyassmexican
03-11-08, 8:10 am
G-d bless those who have a chanse to have equipment at home, that is my dream a fuckin garage where i can train by myself and once in a while with the chicago crew

Personae
03-11-08, 12:06 pm
Training at home cuts down on time to get to other stuff, like DINNER. Oh yeah, and loved ones, but let's face it, DINNER is more important sometimes.

MassMan
03-11-08, 4:51 pm
Man just be careful lifting by yourself. Preferably get your dad or a brother to spot you. I don't know how old you are, but a guy I knew died when he was benching by himself and the bar fell on his neck; he was like 11 or 12 or something. So just be careful.

This is where the powerrack comes into play =). Single greatest invention. Can't say that enough. Love it.

need2getBIG
03-11-08, 5:02 pm
quit talking about power racks,i want one so bad lol im to broke right now to get one

The Prodigy
03-11-08, 6:12 pm
Been at home now for over 6 years, here's the gym

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm3txfMxCQ8

I don't think I could ever go back to a commercial gym , everything I need is right here

dude, i have the same animal posters in my home gym, the same exact ones

forx
03-11-08, 6:38 pm
they're great posters for a home gym, sets the mood and provide some much needed motivation from time to time

need2getBIG
03-11-08, 7:45 pm
i need a powerrack,the cheapest ive seen was 229 but it had only one side,but still it serves the same purpose as a normal powerrack

pain4life
03-11-08, 10:44 pm
I have had a home gym for about 2 years now. My gym is only a 12 x 12 room due to lack of space, but in the future I plan to have a large gym set up in the basement of my next house. My gym currently contains a bench press w/barbell, 300 pounds in plates, 5-75 rubber coated Hampton Dura-Bell dumbbells, two curl bars, multi-purpose bench, and a Water-Rower. Since I love using free weights, this gym setup lets me work my entire body. All I need now is some more Animal Posters to hang on the walls!

Tiny
03-13-08, 8:57 am
i need a powerrack,the cheapest ive seen was 229 but it had only one side,but still it serves the same purpose as a normal powerrack

Watch e-bay - go for used, much cheaper and the shit is indestructable.

need2getBIG
03-13-08, 6:54 pm
thanks tiny ill check it out,never thought of ebay

pain4life
03-14-08, 1:19 am
Craigslist is another great source for used equipment!

pain4life
04-05-08, 4:48 am
I train at home with just dumbbells and plates and I still get a hell of a workout!

DEADn
04-05-08, 8:30 am
Yep, I train at the house. I took my old equipment and gave it to my brother and bought and ironmaster half rack. It is like a smith machine will alot of attachments. The rack is not made anymore like the one I have. They have redesigned it. I also have about 500# in weights as well. I have also cut out some pictures of things that motivate me to work harder and placed them on my wall.

The only thing I think I miss from the gym is people who may point out to you a way you can do an exercises more effectively or maybe see if your form is off type of them.

ie. at the Lakeland ABC we did legs back in Feb. I got there late because I take a Saturday class at a college. Anyway, I just did squats and calves. Previously I had done squats to about parallel. I used my bench at the house to measure myself. Well, Hercules, told me to go to below parallel and I am like. WHAT??? He watched me and told me when I was there. Now that I know what it feels like it is better then just parallel. Even after doing squats to parallel going below it adds new soreness................So stuff like this is what you might miss by not going to a gym OR hooking up with a partner.

BrotherInArms
04-05-08, 11:41 am
I built my entire initial foundation at home and today I perfer to train home when possible. Nothing beats being able to control your atmosphere, and if you can get your head into it, it can be a lot easier to focus most intently at home.

I hear that. And, when you're done you can always have your mom equip you with a protein shake when you're done. That's the life, right?

jon_carter13
08-14-09, 3:31 pm
Me and My buddy are making a home gym in our garage as soon as I get back form Iraq. Going to have a bench, a 300 pound olympic weight set, a body-solid home gym, pull-up bars outside, some tractor tires for flipping and hitting with the sledge hammer, and God knows what else we can think of. We're buying everything off craiglist with the exception of the Body Solid machine which was given to me on my 16th Bday. It's going to be a pretty solid place to live.

ishootme
08-20-09, 12:48 am
I have worked out at two gyms. One was a local fitness center, and one was a buddies home weight room. The fitness center was fine, but my friends place got me more pumped and fired.