PDA

View Full Version : the strongman corner

boar
08-05-08, 5:28 pm
Using this thread for anyone that is interested in starting to train for strongman. questions about different splits and event specific questions are all welcome. even if you don't plan on doing strongman training but are just interested about some aspects drop a line on this thread.

dyskee
08-05-08, 6:01 pm
iam really interested i have always been interested in tossing up heavyweights

wedge
08-06-08, 12:23 pm
Boar,
I'm actually competing in an amateur strongman contest mid-October. I have a few threads on it around the forum and I was told your the man to talk to up in CT. I'll definitely be coming back here to see your posts.

boar
08-06-08, 10:13 pm
Boar,
I'm actually competing in an amateur strongman contest mid-October. I have a few threads on it around the forum and I was told your the man to talk to up in CT. I'll definitely be coming back here to see your posts.

Is the show santioned by NAS? what events is the show going to be? Let me know if you got any questions about training or the events.

Maharg
08-06-08, 10:40 pm
Alright, we know you do the axle press. Any suggestions on how to Mod a bar to mimic it?

shizz702
08-06-08, 11:12 pm
Where would you recommend purchasing a thick bar?

Also any tips on increasing your standing overhead press?

Young&Hungry
08-06-08, 11:25 pm
Alright, we know you do the axle press. Any suggestions on how to Mod a bar to mimic it?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2454

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=898

Young&Hungry
08-06-08, 11:27 pm
Follow the program to a T and don't add any unnecessary volume:

ME Overhead
Pick one: Axle press, axle clean and press, log press, log clean and press, incline log, overhead lockout w/ any implement, push press, standing military press, split jerk - work up to a 3-1RM
Triceps - close grip (flat/incline) w/ bands or chains - 3x8
Chest - suspended pushups, DB pressing, incline or decline for reps - 2x15+
Lats - rows, pulldowns, chins - 4x10
Pick one - upper back (DB cleans, reverse flyes, shrugs) or a tricep/bicep superset - two sets 8-20 reps.
Grip work

DE/RE Lower
Speed Box Squats - 8x2
High Pulls with olympic bar or implement - 3RM
Olympic Front Squats - 4x10
Low Back/Hamstrings - 3x10
Core work - weighted planks, weighted situps, grappler, side bends pulldown abs, bodyweight giant sets - 5 to 10 sets, I'm pretty confident you know how to do abs just train them heavy

DE Overhead
Repeat day one, except perform the overhead press for speed at 50% for 8x2. If you are training for a show with a throwing event, throw whatever implement you will be competing with on this day as well.

ME Lower
Pick one: power clean, power snatch, hang clean, hang snatch, any form of deadlifts or squatting - work up to a 3-1RM
Quads - box squats, belt squats, olympic squats 4x10
Low Back - good mornings, hypers, or reverse hypers - 4x8
Heavy core work

Event Day
-Note: if you have a bad overhead press, do overheads first. If you're weak in the lower body lifts do those first.

Overhead Press - Axle press, axle clean and press, log press, log clean and press, incline log, overhead lockout w/ any implement, viking press - work up to a 3-1RM
Lower Body Lift - Atlas stones, axle deadlifts, tire flip, car deadlift, keg loading - work up to a 1RM, or for distance events, a max distance at a certain weight
Drag/Carry/Pull - Farmer's walk, yoke walk, power stairs, car pull, sleg drag, keg carry, conan's wheel, farmer's hold - work up to a max distance or time with a certain weight
Don't do any assistance work on event day, if you did all that right you will be beat to shit.

Here's what I reccommend - train every other day for 4 training days every 8 days. Pick a gym upper body day, a gym lower body day, and one day devoted to conditioning. For conditioning, do sprint pyramids, Prowler pushes, sled dragging, or light medleys. 30 minutes on the treadmill at a gentle pace is absolutely not appropriate for strongman. Train events EVERY WEEK without fail. If you have to sacrifice a day in the gym for events. Here's what a cycle would look like:

Week One:
Day One - ME Overhead
Day Two - off
Day Three - DE/RE Lower
Day Four - off
Day Five - Events
Day Six - off
Day Seven - Conditioning

Wek Two:
Day One - DE/RE Overhead
Day Two - off
Day Three - ME Lower
Day Four - off
Day Five - Events
Day Six - off
Day Seven - Conditioning

Hope this helps brothers.

Brick By Brick
08-06-08, 11:30 pm

x2. I've been training for strongman comps since last October, and my OHP blows compared to my DL, stones, yoke, etc.. My axle press PR is 120 lbs. I'm thinking rack lockouts. I've done behind the neck presses, push presses, strict standing presses, DB presses, and I can't tell if I need to train differently or just stick with it. Also, I'm incorporating lat pulls into my shoulder day to work the push/pull concept. I have a 75 lb 8 inch log as well, I incorporate that into my shoulder routine with that about every other week. Am I just impatient, or is there another way?

Maharg
08-06-08, 11:33 pm
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2454
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=898

Lol, i had looked at the grips before, and nearly bought them. And The El gordo is a bar i suggest all the time to people looking for fat bars. I belong to Elitefts too man.

shizz702
08-06-08, 11:44 pm
Man el gordo is one sexy looking bar! I think I may invest in one in the future!

Brick By Brick
08-07-08, 12:09 am
El Gordo is very hot. But 40 schedule 2 inch plumbing pipe is cheaper.

wedge
08-08-08, 2:27 pm
Is the show santioned by NAS? what events is the show going to be? Let me know if you got any questions about training or the events.

It's sponsored by a local YMCA. Nothing big or overall noteworthy. Just a way to promote fitness and get a big group of lifters together to have some fun.

mcbeast
08-08-08, 6:56 pm
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/strongmantraining.html

boar
08-09-08, 5:51 pm

Carlos put up a good link to elitefts. The best thing to do though is get your hands on an axle bar.

Elitefts is the best spot as carlos posted a link to the el gordo bar.

Some ways you can increase your overhead is cycle your training between doing volume sets of 3-5 reps for 3-5 sets at 75-85% of your max. doing speed reps 50-60% max 10x2 or 7x3. Lockouts is good for sticking points also. set the bar at about forehead height.

For increasing the press itself the lower leg drive is crucial. Honestly, I could only strict press in the low 200lb range. Make sure you are back on your heels. the dip drive is not just a knee bend, pushing your glutes back is crucial for maximum leg drive. The transfer of power from the dip drive to the pressing motion is developed through experience.

After the lower body dip drive, there is the upper body press. When I take the bar out of the rack, the bar is not resting just above my chest. My starting position is just below my chin. You acheive this by keeping your elbows high. When I put the bar in this position, there is no laxity in my upperbody. Also, push your chest forward and with the axle or barbell overhead press its ok to have a slight upper back arch. with the log press, the upper body arch is more drastic then pressing with the barbell.

During the press, the most important thing is to get your head through. Whenever I m overhead pressing at TPS, murphs in my ear saying "get your head through faster". When the bar starts to travel near the top of your forehead, throw your head forward and get under the bar. Shrugging your traps at the top of the press is crucial to the lockout and alllows you to push your head through.

Good assistance exercises for the overhead press would be back or shoulder movements. My favorite for back would be bent over barbell rows, tbar, dumbell rows. Favorite shoulder movements barbell shrugs, one arm standing dumbell overhead press, handstand pushups.

All thats left is getting under the bar and pressing it through the ceiling! stay animal.

shizz702
08-09-08, 6:35 pm
Thanks for the tips boar! Appreciate it!

I do strict presses one day and push jerks another. I've been tweaking my form on the push jerks and I can see like you said it takes experience to develop the explosive leg drive. I'm just now starting to find my groove with them after a few months of working on them

I've reached a plateau on my strict overhead press. I can't seem to get above 160. When reaching a plateau do you think it would be best to deload a bit and work back up from there?

boar
08-09-08, 9:34 pm
Thanks for the tips boar! Appreciate it!

I do strict presses one day and push jerks another. I've been tweaking my form on the push jerks and I can see like you said it takes experience to develop the explosive leg drive. I'm just now starting to find my groove with them after a few months of working on them

I've reached a plateau on my strict overhead press. I can't seem to get above 160. When reaching a plateau do you think it would be best to deload a bit and work back up from there?

I would focus on just doing the push press/push jerk once a week. cycle between volume, speed work, and ME. I really like the split that carlos wrote and appreciate and thank him for his contribution to the thread. The overhead component is well structured.

Try doing dumbell push presses and the assistance work that I suggested above. Incline press helps also.

boar
08-14-08, 10:38 am
The workout regiment I did was based on murphs westside strongman split here http://www.elitefts.com/documents/strongman_and_westside_training.htm.

Here is roughly the split I followed.

Monday UB ME or volume
overhead lift
walking event: optional
back trap work
chest/tri's

Wenesday LB 2 events,1 powerlift
walking event
powerlift
sled drag/tire flip
reverse hyper
leg press
abs

Thursday or Friday upper body bodybuilding
any type of barbell press excluding overhead
chest/tris
biceps
traps

Saturday LB day 2: 2 events, 1 powerlift.
walking event
powerlift
stones
ghr
abs

This is a pretty rigorous split with doing events 2-3 times a week. Out of the 2 events and powerlift I would do one for max effort, one for dynamic/speed, and one for volume. Here are two saturday workout examples.

Saturday week 1 Saturday week 2
yoke max effort 1 trip
box squats w/ bands 7x3
stones triples 80% of max stone

IRBS
08-14-08, 10:45 am
This is a great thread!

boar
08-14-08, 10:50 am
the thread above is not finished. I posted it halfway through by mistake and could not edit it to my liking. contacted one of the admins. hopefully will get rectified.

boar
08-14-08, 10:56 am
here is the end of the training split just in case the other part got lost in cyber space.

example of 2 workouts. This is how I alternated between max effort, dynamic, and volume.

Saturday week 1
yoke max effort 1 trip
box squats w/ bands 7x3
stones triples 80% of max stone

week 2
yoke 60-80% max 3-5trips
squats 3-5rep max
stones series/ ME stone

Here is a list of events.

walking events
conans wheel
yoke walk
farmers walk
sandbag carrry
husefell stone carry
keg carry

flipping/dragging events
tire flip
chain drag
truck pull
sled drag
chain drag w/ truck pull harness

overhead pressing events
axle press
appolons wheel axle press
viking press
log press
keg press
stone press
sandbag press

Any questions or clarifications needed let me know.

boar
01-07-09, 4:11 pm
this thread has not had any attention for the last four months. here is my current split.

Monday UB
variation of shoulder press 3-5 rep max on last set
some type of chest press 3-5 rep mac on last set
tricep/ bicep work
back work

Wednesday lowers
squat variations 1-5 rep max on last set
deadlift variation 1-5 rep max on last set
reverse hypers
ab work

Saturday events
walking event
log press
loading event either kegs or stones
drag/flip event

usually do 3 events per session

on my upper days here are the exercises I cycle

shoulder pressing= axle c and p, barbell from the rack, one arm dumbell

chest work- incline press, decline, floor press, flat bench.

my lower days I have been cycling these exercises
squats: back squat, safety bar
deadlifts- floor deads, trap bar, rack pullz, deficit deadlifts

Should possibly throw in zercher squats, and front squats. been neglecting good mornings.

This is not the perfect split and is not necessarilly linear by any means. Definitly has some holes in it. My dead has not increased too much but my squat is def going up with the briefs thrown in. I might take a page out of the 5/3/1 wendler split which carlos has been doing.

prowrestler
04-17-09, 1:03 pm
i like this thread alot

think im catchin a love affair for strongman..

ironshaolin
04-18-09, 7:00 pm
Few questions on this type stuff: My goal is to increase strength as much as humanly possible, slightly outside the box of conventional powerlifting wisdom. I do not have acess to strong man training equipment, other than thick bars. So I'm looking to incorporate strong man type style into a westside type format. I feel my overall strength isn't big enough to start working more DE style, so I was thinking substituting DE for repetition work. I am a martial artist, and the way that strongman combines both being incredibly strong, along with a necessity for good cardio and endurance to complete the events appeals to me. Here's what my plan is:

3 days workout, alternating an ME lower, ME upper, RE lower, RE upper

day 1:ME lower
ME lift, squats or deads, up to heavy single or double
Acessory lift for 8 reps(good morning, box squat RDL)
hamstrings: 3x10-12
farmers walk-3 or 4 trips

Day 2: ME upper
ME lift up to single or double(thick bar overhead press, thick bar cleans, etc.)
DB bench press, one arm dumbell or kettlebell press, or inclines-3x8-10
rowing movement-3x8-10
thick bar bicep/tricep superset for 10-15 reps

Day 3: RE lower
20 rep breathing squat or deadlift
stiff leg dead OR front squats: 3x8
hamstrings :3x5-6
heavy abs

Day 4: RE upper: push press or push jerk, 5x5
weighted chins: 3x4-6
arm superset: 3x6-8
power snatches, or 1 arm DB snatches: 3x 5-6

Also, thinking about on days where I have a bit of energy left, finishing off with some barbell or kettlebell complexes to help improve conditioning and work capacity. Any thoughts?

Young&Hungry
04-19-09, 1:43 pm
I am no longer a big proponet of the Westside system anymore because many people do not understand how to wave volume in a conjugated periodization system such as Westside. People end up maxing out too often on exercises that they don't rotate with frequency, go balls out on DE day when that is not the point of that day, do not deload, and end up very overtrained or injured very quickly. I prefer a progressive overload type approach, specifically a linear system like the 5/3/1, 5x5, or the like. If you're one of those guys who like to go by feel and hate the whole idea of calculating out percentages, you're better off doing a 5RM week one week, a 3RM week the second, max the third, and deload the fourth.

As you said before that you do not have access to strongman equipment, I assure that you cannot say that you train "like a strongman" when you've never touched an implement in your life. On my first day of strongman training, I thought that since I was strong in the gym lifts and in shape that I'd do fine but the implements kicked my ass. They require totally different muscle groups and form that is entirely different from any gym lift you've ever done. That's like training "like a baseball player" in the gym but have never touched a bat and ball in your life.

What I encourage you to do is to seek out a strongman gym, even if you have to travel a distance, and train there at least once a week. We have guys in Waterbury come from over an hour away regularly to train. It's only a one day a week thing so I don't think it's too much to ask. Exposure to the implements is what will make and break athletes in this sport. One of the guys we train with is extremely strong in the events (1000 yoke for 30', loading stones in the mid 300's, 300+ log press) but his gym lifts aren't impressive compared to what he can throw up on events day. But what does he care? Strongman is about the implements, not gym lifts like in powerlifting, so he regularly outlifts guys on events day whose gym lifts are a lot stronger than his.

Here's the split I'll be doing when I begin prepping for my strongman shows. Keep in mind that I use the 5/3/1.

Monday: Uppers
Rotate incline presses and close grip presses - 5/3/1
Rep shoulder pressing - 4 sets, 15-8 reps
Heavy rows or chins superset various shoulder raises or shrugs - 5 sets 10 reps
Triceps - 4 sets, 15-10 reps
Biceps - 3 sets high rep
Conditioning - usually stick to 20-30 minutes of steady state treadmill or sprint pyramids on this day

Tuesday - Conditioning w/ Prowler or sled dragging

Wednesday: Lowers
Olympic Squat (week one) - 5/3/1, Conventional Deadlift 5/3/1 (week two) so the cycle would be finished in 6 weeks for both lifts
Olympic Lift - rotating power cleans, power snatches, high pulls from various heights, clean grip snatches, 3x5 or 5x5
Quads or Hams/Low Back (kettlebell work sometimes)
Core on squat days, grip on deadlift days

Thursday - Conditioning

Friday - OFF

Saturday: Events w/ CT Crew
Press (rotate log or axle) - 5/3/1
Drag/Carry - 4-5 working sets, vary the distance weekly
Pull - mostly stones, but can include farmer's/frame/axle pick ups as well. Traditionally 3-5 working sets
If I feel good I may do another carrying event
Grip work or core work if I didn't do it Wednesday

Sunday - Tons and tons of stretching and foam rolling, otherwise off

boar
04-19-09, 7:27 pm
Few questions on this type stuff: My goal is to increase strength as much as humanly possible, slightly outside the box of conventional powerlifting wisdom. I do not have acess to strong man training equipment, other than thick bars. So I'm looking to incorporate strong man type style into a westside type format. I feel my overall strength isn't big enough to start working more DE style, so I was thinking substituting DE for repetition work. I am a martial artist, and the way that strongman combines both being incredibly strong, along with a necessity for good cardio and endurance to complete the events appeals to me. Here's what my plan is:

3 days workout, alternating an ME lower, ME upper, RE lower, RE upper

day 1:ME lower
ME lift, squats or deads, up to heavy single or double
Acessory lift for 8 reps(good morning, box squat RDL)
hamstrings: 3x10-12
farmers walk-3 or 4 trips

Day 2: ME upper
ME lift up to single or double(thick bar overhead press, thick bar cleans, etc.)
DB bench press, one arm dumbell or kettlebell press, or inclines-3x8-10
rowing movement-3x8-10
thick bar bicep/tricep superset for 10-15 reps

Day 3: RE lower
20 rep breathing squat or deadlift
stiff leg dead OR front squats: 3x8
hamstrings :3x5-6
heavy abs

Day 4: RE upper: push press or push jerk, 5x5
weighted chins: 3x4-6
arm superset: 3x6-8
power snatches, or 1 arm DB snatches: 3x 5-6

Also, thinking about on days where I have a bit of energy left, finishing off with some barbell or kettlebell complexes to help improve conditioning and work capacity. Any thoughts?

Yo Shoalin, Carlos's split is really solid one. I have a couple of suggestions myself. Instead of doing ME to singles or doubles, implement the 5/3/1 scheme from Jim Wendler.

In a nut shell the 5/3/1 scheme consists of 3 week waves and you focus on one lift. PM young&hungry or myself and we can help design a 5/3/1 scheme for your lifts.

Doing overhead twice a week is quite taxing. I would focus on doing one overhead day and hitting back and shoulder assitance and the next upper body day should be an assistance day with some type of chest press and hit the other parts of your upper body.

I really am not a big fan of the 20 rep squat scheme. I would replace this day with lower body assistance like good mornings, stiff legged deads, keystones, and other assitance work for lower body.

Try to find a strongman gym in your area. Its worth sacrificing a 1-2 hour drive in order to train events if you want to get into the sport. When I live in mass for the summer I drove 30 miles to train and while I am in ct it is a 45 minute drive to train events which is not bad. One of our training partners drives from new york to train in ct.

Don't hesitate to pm either myself or carlos to help you construct a 5/3/1.

ironshaolin
10-14-09, 9:07 pm
Good advice, guys. Where in CT are you? I'm right next to Port Jeff on Long Island, which has a ferry that shuttles to bridgeport. Training with implements is something I'm VERY interested in doing, and I really don't think there's anywhere on LI that doesthis. I heard of a Worlds Gym in Bayshore that has atlas stones, but I think thats all they have. I would definately be down for making a trip somewhere within an hour or 2 from me maybe 2x a month to get that chance.

I have recently switched to 5/3/1, its definately the way to go for routines, the built in de-load is super important.

boar
10-14-09, 9:32 pm
Good advice, guys. Where in CT are you? I'm right next to Port Jeff on Long Island, which has a ferry that shuttles to bridgeport. Training with implements is something I'm VERY interested in doing, and I really don't think there's anywhere on LI that doesthis. I heard of a Worlds Gym in Bayshore that has atlas stones, but I think thats all they have. I would definately be down for making a trip somewhere within an hour or 2 from me maybe 2x a month to get that chance.

I have recently switched to 5/3/1, its definately the way to go for routines, the built in de-load is super important.

Yo shoalin,

You are welcome to join us in waterbury CT. Carlos (Young&Hungry) lives in Stratford which is close to bridgeport and he drive 45 minutes or so to waterbury. hit him up when you are thinking about coming up...

ironshaolin
10-16-09, 1:34 pm
Thanks for the invite, boar. I would love the opportunity to come and train, just to get to feel what its like doing some implements. I tried to PM Young and Hungry, his box was full. Any idea how far your gym is from bridgeport? It would take me about 10 mins to get to the ferry, and I don't know how long that ride is, but I am deciding wether its doable.

boar
10-16-09, 1:38 pm
Thanks for the invite, boar. I would love the opportunity to come and train, just to get to feel what its like doing some implements. I tried to PM Young and Hungry, his box was full. Any idea how far your gym is from bridgeport? It would take me about 10 mins to get to the ferry, and I don't know how long that ride is, but I am deciding wether its doable.

Stratford is next door to Bridgeport and Carlos has a 45 minute drive.

Young&Hungry
10-22-09, 3:39 pm

Hey bro, I have a 40-50 minute drive from Stratford which is only a few exits north of Bridgeport. I grew up in the city though so if it ever came down to you needing a ride I'd pick you up so long as you promise not to murder me, stuff my body in the trunk, and torch my car.

I know a few guys at the World's Gym you spoke of and they only have a few implements, but they are great guys and seasoned vets. I do believe that CT Strength is one of the best, if not, the best training crew in the nation. Not only do we have a ton of solid amateurs, we have 3 ASC Pro's and one of the largest private strongman equipment in the world.

Depending on where you're taking the ferry, it's about an hour ride over the water and we'd be close to another hour coming from Bridgeport. Obviously you wouldn't be able to do this every week so I would look into hooking up with the guys from Bayshore for more consistent weekly training. But not many guys have the opportunity to train with Derek Poundstone, Dave Milhalov, Justin Warren, and the endless sea of equipment we have so don't pass it up, even if it's just one or two times.

ironshaolin
10-27-09, 8:58 pm
Hey bro, I have a 40-50 minute drive from Stratford which is only a few exits north of Bridgeport. I grew up in the city though so if it ever came down to you needing a ride I'd pick you up so long as you promise not to murder me, stuff my body in the trunk, and torch my car.

I know a few guys at the World's Gym you spoke of and they only have a few implements, but they are great guys and seasoned vets. I do believe that CT Strength is one of the best, if not, the best training crew in the nation. Not only do we have a ton of solid amateurs, we have 3 ASC Pro's and one of the largest private strongman equipment in the world.

Depending on where you're taking the ferry, it's about an hour ride over the water and we'd be close to another hour coming from Bridgeport. Obviously you wouldn't be able to do this every week so I would look into hooking up with the guys from Bayshore for more consistent weekly training. But not many guys have the opportunity to train with Derek Poundstone, Dave Milhalov, Justin Warren, and the endless sea of equipment we have so don't pass it up, even if it's just one or two times.

Good stuff. I will eventually have to make it out there to train with you guys, but if its a 1 hour ferry, 1 hour drive, then come home I'm pretty much looking at an all day excursion which I'll have to plan out so the wifey doesn't kill me. Thanks for the info on bayshore world's gym, I'll have to check that out and maybe get some experience with implements first before I come out to see you guys so I don't embarass myself.

ironshaolin
10-27-09, 9:04 pm
I wonder if that Bayshore world's gym is still around, I can't find any information about them anywhere on google.

WeeMan
11-23-09, 2:50 pm
hey iv recently discovered that theres a strongman gym not too far from me, so me and my brother have arranged to go to check it out.
basicly i know nothing about strongman training. what id like to know is how often a week is best to go? its close enough but not very so id only be able to manage twice a week i think.

boar
11-23-09, 7:26 pm
hey iv recently discovered that theres a strongman gym not too far from me, so me and my brother have arranged to go to check it out.
basicly i know nothing about strongman training. what id like to know is how often a week is best to go? its close enough but not very so id only be able to manage twice a week i think.

The universal strongman day is saturday. Doing event training once a week is plenty due to the rigorous events and how taxing they are physically and mentally.

If you have any specific questions about certain events, implements, training splits, etc. hit me up or young&hungry up on this thread or on the pm. We would be more than happy to help you out.

Young&Hungry
11-23-09, 9:23 pm

I have no idea where you're located in Scotland, but I have a connection in Aberdeen with a very good amateur strongman who will be competing at the Arnold Classic Amateur Strongman contest. Let me know.

WeeMan
11-24-09, 5:46 pm
The universal strongman day is saturday. Doing event training once a week is plenty due to the rigorous events and how taxing they are physically and mentally.

If you have any specific questions about certain events, implements, training splits, etc. hit me up or young&hungry up on this thread or on the pm. We would be more than happy to help you out.

thanks, i will deffinatly be in touch

I have no idea where you're located in Scotland, but I have a connection in Aberdeen with a very good amateur strongman who will be competing at the Arnold Classic Amateur Strongman contest. Let me know.

im from Edinburgh, its quite far from Aberdeen. but i might get his name off you anyway if there is an event up north. i appreciate it!

WeeMan
11-29-09, 1:18 pm
well i went to this gym with my brother and tried a few things, il tell you what i did and what weight.
15" deadlift - 160kgs
Viking press - 60kgs
atlas stones - 100kgs

i dont know if its good or not. first time training after 2 weeks off.
we are going to go every saturday and do 2 other days a week in the gym (as the guys there recommended) so just going to split into upper and lower body training.

boar
11-29-09, 10:18 pm
well i went to this gym with my brother and tried a few things, il tell you what i did and what weight.
15" deadlift - 160kgs
Viking press - 60kgs
atlas stones - 100kgs

i dont know if its good or not. first time training after 2 weeks off.
we are going to go every saturday and do 2 other days a week in the gym (as the guys there recommended) so just going to split into upper and lower body training.

what type of sets and reps did you hit? a deadlift event in a show would be 500-650lbs or 230-300kg. The viking press in one of my shows summer of 08 was like 300lbs which is like 136kgs. Thats a decent weight for a stone for the first time out. stone series range from 100kg-150kg.

WeeMan
11-30-09, 4:52 pm
what type of sets and reps did you hit? a deadlift event in a show would be 500-650lbs or 230-300kg. The viking press in one of my shows summer of 08 was like 300lbs which is like 136kgs. Thats a decent weight for a stone for the first time out. stone series range from 100kg-150kg.

thanks, i recon il do not bad on the stones. we basicly just played around with the equipment and watched the other guys, we didnt do any real training. the problem is we have no idea how to train on out two other gym days, in terms of excercises, sets and reps. everything!!

boar
12-02-09, 11:24 pm
thanks, i recon il do not bad on the stones. we basicly just played around with the equipment and watched the other guys, we didnt do any real training. the problem is we have no idea how to train on out two other gym days, in terms of excercises, sets and reps. everything!!

Post 25 carlos wrote out his current split. This is the best example of how to train for events and gym lifts.

WeeMan
12-05-09, 11:35 am
i was at events training today and the guys go twice a week and two other gym nights so im going to do the same. this is what i have;

Monday - Upper Body
Power Cleans 4x8-10
Push Press 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
Deadlift 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
High Cable Rows 4x8-10
Abs

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Events

Friday - Lower Body
Squat 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
Leg Press 4x8-10
Hamstring Curls 4x8-10
Inc. Bench Press 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
Inc. DB Flyes 4x8-10
Abs

Saturday - Events

I signed up for the First Timers competiton as well. something to aim for.

boar
12-05-09, 9:47 pm
i was at events training today and the guys go twice a week and two other gym nights so im going to do the same. this is what i have;

Monday - Upper Body
Power Cleans 4x8-10
Push Press 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
Deadlift 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
High Cable Rows 4x8-10
Abs

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Events

Friday - Lower Body
Squat 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
Leg Press 4x8-10
Hamstring Curls 4x8-10
Inc. Bench Press 3x3, 2x2, 1x1
Inc. DB Flyes 4x8-10
Abs

Saturday - Events

I signed up for the First Timers competiton as well. something to aim for.

doing events twice a week is alot. My best success is when I train 3-4 events once a week. I was doing a westside split where I would be doing 1-2 events and a powerlift twice a week. it worked the first summer I did it but last summer I overtrained events.

powercleans, deadlifting, and push press on the same session is alot. Hitting singles every week in the long run is not going to make you stronger. I would look into doing 5/3/1.

this is basically what 5/3/1 is. you take 90% of your max and you do the following. if you got more in the tank than the prescribed reps then keep going on the last set.

week 1 65% 5x, 75% 5x, 85% 5x.
week 2 70% 3x, 80% 3x, 90% 3x.
week 3 75% 5x, 85% 3x, 95% 1x.

For your first wave you should be able to hit more reps on the last set.

Deadlifting one day, squatting one day, and events is too taxing on the lower body. Carlos and I do our main squat movement every other week alternating with our deadlift. The day we don't do deadlift or squat for the main movement we do an assistance exercise for it. It is easier to write out an example.

week 1
Back squat 65% 5x, 75% 5x, 85% 5x.
rdls 3x10
reverse hyper
kb swings etc.

week 2
Deadlifts 65% 5x, 75% 5x, 85% 5x.
zercher squats 3x10
glute ham
leg press etc.

My suggestions are the following.

1. Alternate incline press and push press on mondays. 5/3/1 both of them.
2. Alternate squatting and deadlifting on wednesdays. doing the 5/3/1 thing.
3. do not do any chest on lower body days.
4. do 3-4 events once a week.
5. Make sure you do alot of moderate-heavy back assistance work like dumbell rows, bent over barbell row, tbar, etc.

Any questions you can hit me up on the pm or just post back on this thread.

WeeMan
12-06-09, 7:17 pm
doing events twice a week is alot. My best success is when I train 3-4 events once a week. I was doing a westside split where I would be doing 1-2 events and a powerlift twice a week. it worked the first summer I did it but last summer I overtrained events.

powercleans, deadlifting, and push press on the same session is alot. Hitting singles every week in the long run is not going to make you stronger. I would look into doing 5/3/1.

this is basically what 5/3/1 is. you take 90% of your max and you do the following. if you got more in the tank than the prescribed reps then keep going on the last set.

week 1 65% 5x, 75% 5x, 85% 5x.
week 2 70% 3x, 80% 3x, 90% 3x.
week 3 75% 5x, 85% 3x, 95% 1x.

For your first wave you should be able to hit more reps on the last set.

Deadlifting one day, squatting one day, and events is too taxing on the lower body. Carlos and I do our main squat movement every other week alternating with our deadlift. The day we don't do deadlift or squat for the main movement we do an assistance exercise for it. It is easier to write out an example.

week 1
Back squat 65% 5x, 75% 5x, 85% 5x.
rdls 3x10
reverse hyper
kb swings etc.

week 2
Deadlifts 65% 5x, 75% 5x, 85% 5x.
zercher squats 3x10
glute ham
leg press etc.

My suggestions are the following.

1. Alternate incline press and push press on mondays. 5/3/1 both of them.
2. Alternate squatting and deadlifting on wednesdays. doing the 5/3/1 thing.
3. do not do any chest on lower body days.
4. do 3-4 events once a week.
5. Make sure you do alot of moderate-heavy back assistance work like dumbell rows, bent over barbell row, tbar, etc.

Any questions you can hit me up on the pm or just post back on this thread.

thanks boar. i really appreciate your advice and will try to apply all of your suggestions.
one more question; my biggest weakness in the upcoming competiton is going to be my deadlift, the second event is to (olympic)deadlift 200kgs for reps. my current deadlift is 150kgs, i have 4 months to add 50kgs to my deadlift. any suggestions?

boar
12-06-09, 10:44 pm
thanks boar. i really appreciate your advice and will try to apply all of your suggestions.
one more question; my biggest weakness in the upcoming competiton is going to be my deadlift, the second event is to (olympic)deadlift 200kgs for reps. my current deadlift is 150kgs, i have 4 months to add 50kgs to my deadlift. any suggestions?

That is a huge jump for 4 months. the 5/3/1 is really effective in bringing up your deadlift. Do variations like rack pulls below the knee. Also alot of heavy back work will help increase your deads.

WeeMan
12-07-09, 12:45 pm
That is a huge jump for 4 months. the 5/3/1 is really effective in bringing up your deadlift. Do variations like rack pulls below the knee. Also alot of heavy back work will help increase your deads.

i kno but i reckon get straight into competing instead of getting stuck in a rut. thanks il use your suggestions.

boar
12-10-09, 6:12 pm
i kno but i reckon get straight into competing instead of getting stuck in a rut. thanks il use your suggestions.

I like your attitude dude. My first strongman was in the summer of 07 after training the events for 6 weeks. I got 6th out of 7th. You need to get your assed kicked in the first couple of contests. It gives you an idea where you stand regarding other competitors.

WeeMan
12-11-09, 11:40 am
I like your attitude dude. My first strongman was in the summer of 07 after training the events for 6 weeks. I got 6th out of 7th. You need to get your assed kicked in the first couple of contests. It gives you an idea where you stand regarding other competitors.

hah getting my ass kicked is what i fully expect. there is going to be 30 competitors, my girlfriend is a photographer so il post some photos or a video.

how you doing with your more recent contests?

boar
12-11-09, 2:53 pm
hah getting my ass kicked is what i fully expect. there is going to be 30 competitors, my girlfriend is a photographer so il post some photos or a video.

how you doing with your more recent contests?

Wee,

I am 4 weeks out from the clash of the titans show which I am competing in the 231 class. I will have to cut for this show I walk around at 238-240. The events are 600lb conans wheel, medley 270 farmers, 600 chain drag, and 250 keg walk, axle clean and press 235 for reps, 575 chain yoke, and stone medley 270 3x, 300 2x, and 330 1x. Divide these weights by 2.2 for kilos. Pretty confident for this show.

7 weeks out from the battle of the barn. I am stepping up to the 265 class for this show so no cutting. there is going to be a press medley with some big ass dumbells and kegs and blocks, car deadlift, 325 farmers, keg loading 250-320 with power stairs, and 750 yoke. I am struggling with the one arm clean for the 2 inch dumbell but other than that pretty psyched for this show.

Yea post the pics and vids right on this thread dude. Looking forward to seeing you break your hymen into strongman!

WeeMan
12-11-09, 7:09 pm
Wee,

I am 4 weeks out from the clash of the titans show which I am competing in the 231 class. I will have to cut for this show I walk around at 238-240. The events are 600lb conans wheel, medley 270 farmers, 600 chain drag, and 250 keg walk, axle clean and press 235 for reps, 575 chain yoke, and stone medley 270 3x, 300 2x, and 330 1x. Divide these weights by 2.2 for kilos. Pretty confident for this show.

7 weeks out from the battle of the barn. I am stepping up to the 265 class for this show so no cutting. there is going to be a press medley with some big ass dumbells and kegs and blocks, car deadlift, 325 farmers, keg loading 250-320 with power stairs, and 750 yoke. I am struggling with the one arm clean for the 2 inch dumbell but other than that pretty psyched for this show.

Yea post the pics and vids right on this thread dude. Looking forward to seeing you break your hymen into strongman!

thanks man i deffinatly will. those are big lifts!! remember to let us know how you get on! iv forgotten what all the events are in the first timers comp but il post it tomorrow.
try and get some footage of your contests!

WeeMan
04-03-10, 3:23 am
first comp today, il get back with results and fotos

HIGA MONSTER
04-03-10, 8:54 am
first comp today, il get back with results and fotos

Good luck WeeMan!

HIGA MONSTER

WeeMan
04-04-10, 9:05 am
Thanks Higa

Axle C+P - 80kgs, 75secs - 7reps (PB)
Farmers Holds - 120kg - 49.5 seconds (PB)
Loading - 85kg+100kg atlas stones 100kg + 120kg kegs - 36.06seconds (think i was 5th or 6th)
Medley - 220kg yolk + 160kg duck walk - 23 seconds (3rd)
Deadlift - 200kg - 0 reps (gutted)

Joint 12th place out of 20, i was hoping for 8th or 9th. I was definatly one of the 3 lightest people in the comp.

HIGA MONSTER
04-04-10, 7:52 pm
Thanks Higa

Axle C+P - 80kgs, 75secs - 7reps (PB)
Farmers Holds - 120kg - 49.5 seconds (PB)
Loading - 85kg+100kg atlas stones 100kg + 120kg kegs - 36.06seconds (think i was 5th or 6th)
Medley - 220kg yolk + 160kg duck walk - 23 seconds (3rd)
Deadlift - 200kg - 0 reps (gutted)

Joint 12th place out of 20, i was hoping for 8th or 9th. I was definatly one of the 3 lightest people in the comp.

Congratulations! You did great!
Bummers that the deadlift was a problem for you, cause that would have surely bumped you into the top 10 final placings.

Work on the weaknesses, and keep you head up!
Whats next on the competition agenda?

HIGA MONSTER

Brick By Brick
04-05-10, 6:15 am
Fellas - my latest comp features a Bench Press for Reps event, not sure how to train for this one. The weight is 135 lbs for the women's HW class. I figure I could get around 3 reps right now with only 3 weeks of consistent training after my hiatus, but I'm curious if you have any suggestions on the most efficient method(s) to train for this event. I don't expect to win every event, but I would like to make a respectable showing. Thanks in advance for your time, and all constructive suggestions are greatly appreciated.

HIGA MONSTER
04-05-10, 9:52 am
Fellas - my latest comp features a Bench Press for Reps event, not sure how to train for this one. The weight is 135 lbs for the women's HW class. I figure I could get around 3 reps right now with only 3 weeks of consistent training after my hiatus, but I'm curious if you have any suggestions on the most efficient method(s) to train for this event. I don't expect to win every event, but I would like to make a respectable showing. Thanks in advance for your time, and all constructive suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Well, work on some reps with a slightly lower weight. That way you can get used to the high reps. You should shoot for at least 10 reps.
I like to do alot of Incline Presses with a close grip to bomb my triceps. 3 weeks isn't much time, but you are going to have to do the best you can.

Lots of triceps exercises, but also alot of Lats too. Lats help stabilize the bar in the bench press. (Pull-downs, rows)
You can tell a person has weak lats if they unrack the bar and are "shaky" before they even start a bench press.

Where is your contest at?
I have a friend that lives in Eagle, ID that can help you with any strongman training. He is a ASC Pro strongman, FYI.

Best of luck!
HIGA MONSTER

Brick By Brick
04-05-10, 10:09 am
Well, work on some reps with a slightly lower weight. That way you can get used to the high reps. You should shoot for at least 10 reps.
I like to do alot of Incline Presses with a close grip to bomb my triceps. 3 weeks isn't much time, but you are going to have to do the best you can.

Lots of triceps exercises, but also alot of Lats too. Lats help stabilize the bar in the bench press. (Pull-downs, rows)
You can tell a person has weak lats if they unrack the bar and are "shaky" before they even start a bench press.

Where is your contest at?
I have a friend that lives in Eagle, ID that can help you with any strongman training. He is a ASC Pro strongman, FYI.

Best of luck!
HIGA MONSTER

The comp is on May 22 in Meridian, Idaho, it's a Jay Hagadorn-organized meet. "Bend the Bar," I think it's called. I have a good amount of time to get ready, but definitely have some work to do. I know of your friend, but have never met him. Heard lots of good things, though!
I concur about the incline/close grip presses, I'm a big fan. I will continue to hit those hard to help with my triceps. I love lat work, and will continue to do plenty of that in the next few weeks. Thanks for your help, it lets me know I'm more or less on the right track.

I'm shooting for 10 reps today with at least 105 lbs on a flat bench, just to see where I'm at. Thanks again for your help, I hope to see you and your peeps on May 22.

HIGA MONSTER
04-05-10, 10:26 am
The comp is on May 22 in Meridian, Idaho, it's a Jay Hagadorn-organized meet. "Bend the Bar," I think it's called. I have a good amount of time to get ready, but definitely have some work to do. I know of your friend, but have never met him. Heard lots of good things, though!
I concur about the incline/close grip presses, I'm a big fan. I will continue to hit those hard to help with my triceps. I love lat work, and will continue to do plenty of that in the next few weeks. Thanks for your help, it lets me know I'm more or less on the right track.

I'm shooting for 10 reps today with at least 105 lbs on a flat bench, just to see where I'm at. Thanks again for your help, I hope to see you and your peeps on May 22.

Right on! I was wondering if you were doing Hagadorn's contest. He has a series of them set up this year.

Keep me posted. You will do great!
HIGA MONSTER

Brick By Brick
04-05-10, 11:29 am
Right on! I was wondering if you were doing Hagadorn's contest. He has a series of them set up this year.

Keep me posted. You will do great!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks Higa! I will continue posting my Journey, and hope to place in the top 3. Thanks again for your help.

HIGA MONSTER
04-05-10, 11:50 am
Thanks Higa! I will continue posting my Journey, and hope to place in the top 3. Thanks again for your help.

If you are able to, I am promoting the "3rd Washington's Strongest Apple" on June 12th.

I posted it on my "Ask the Animals" thread...

HIGA MONSTER

Brick By Brick
04-05-10, 11:59 am
If you are able to, I am promoting the "3rd Washington's Strongest Apple" on June 12th.

I posted it on my "Ask the Animals" thread...

HIGA MONSTER

I saw that. I have to work that weekend, and can't get those days off. Looks like a great comp, though! Wish I could go!

WeeMan
04-05-10, 4:38 pm
Congratulations! You did great!
Bummers that the deadlift was a problem for you, cause that would have surely bumped you into the top 10 final placings.

Work on the weaknesses, and keep you head up!
Whats next on the competition agenda?

HIGA MONSTER

cheers Higa i appreciate the encouragement, i am truely dissapointed with my deadlift haha iv been having dreams about it and stuff!
im going to start training for Scotlands strongest U90kgs. on the way i might do a few novice comps for fun/experience.

BamBam
05-08-10, 9:13 pm
Hey guys... just dropping in here to throw my name in the ring. Some of you guys know me, some dont. But I used to be all about bodybuilding and looking ripped and being bigger (Arnold)... but now I have been powerlifting as well through westside barbell and I also want to compete in strongman competitions too... Try to be a "well rounded" freak lol. But anywho, just dropping in to say hey and hope I can help in any way and feel free to throw some help my way too. Much respect..

IN IRON,
BB-

mcbeast
05-10-10, 12:39 am
Hey guys... just dropping in here to throw my name in the ring. Some of you guys know me, some dont. But I used to be all about bodybuilding and looking ripped and being bigger (Arnold)... but now I have been powerlifting as well through westside barbell and I also want to compete in strongman competitions too... Try to be a "well rounded" freak lol. But anywho, just dropping in to say hey and hope I can help in any way and feel free to throw some help my way too. Much respect..

IN IRON,
BB-

Yo Bam..whats your deadlift lookin like nowadays? I remember it being pretty freaky this time last year..

BamBam
05-10-10, 10:18 pm
Yo Bam..whats your deadlift lookin like nowadays? I remember it being pretty freaky this time last year..

750 with belt and rehband knee sleeves... never put on a suit or whatever.. so I guess with straps and maybe some rest time (like before a true meet).. I would hopefully be near 800. Im not saying it is, but I know I can pull 750 so adding in some smaller details, etc.. I can be a true 800+ deadlifter.

How the hell have you been brother?? Whats up with you man? Life good?

IN IRON,
BB-

IRBS
05-11-10, 12:02 pm
750 with belt and rehband knee sleeves... never put on a suit or whatever.. so I guess with straps and maybe some rest time (like before a true meet).. I would hopefully be near 800. Im not saying it is, but I know I can pull 750 so adding in some smaller details, etc.. I can be a true 800+ deadlifter.

How the hell have you been brother?? Whats up with you man? Life good?

IN IRON,
BB-

If youre pulling 750 to 800 raw you need to get your ass on the platform.........

Just sayin,
IRBS

BamBam
05-11-10, 2:25 pm
If youre pulling 750 to 800 raw you need to get your ass on the platform.........

Just sayin,
IRBS

All in due time bro.. Im doing my first strongman event next saturday, the 22nd. After that, im going to find a powerlifting meet to go to and test my strength. Any ideas or good meets coming up man? Any help in getting me on the platform would be greatly appreciated. Thanks man

IN IRON,
BB-

IRBS
05-11-10, 3:34 pm
All in due time bro.. Im doing my first strongman event next saturday, the 22nd. After that, im going to find a powerlifting meet to go to and test my strength. Any ideas or good meets coming up man? Any help in getting me on the platform would be greatly appreciated. Thanks man

IN IRON,
BB-

Yeah, but a 750-800 raw deadlift isnt that common on the platform....especially at your bodyweight.

Powerliftingwatch.com has a pretty complete list of meets...just search your state and surrounding states. Find a meet and enter it. Doesnt matter what meet, as long as its sanctioned who cares. I can vouch for the SPF though, great federation to be a part of.

BamBam
05-12-10, 9:43 pm
Yeah, but a 750-800 raw deadlift isnt that common on the platform....especially at your bodyweight.

Powerliftingwatch.com has a pretty complete list of meets...just search your state and surrounding states. Find a meet and enter it. Doesnt matter what meet, as long as its sanctioned who cares. I can vouch for the SPF though, great federation to be a part of.

Thank you bro.. it means alot that you are in my corner. I plan on kicking some major ass in this next meet and bring home some hardware for the LEGION.. take about a week off after, then straight back into picking a meet and training. I will be on the platform before the end of the summer (July to me since school starts back in Aug.) But I will def check out SPF. Thanks again for your support brother.

boar
11-27-10, 9:30 am
Have not been on the boards for a while. just wanted to update you guys on stuff.

Last couple of contests

May 18th battle of the badass wallkill, NY. 3rd place in 231's
July 23rd-24th Hartford Europa (winner got procard) 8th out of 12
September 18th Hudson Valley Walkill, NY: 3rd place in the 231's

My next contest is the Battle of the Barn in West Coxsackie, NY. I took a trip up there a couple of weeks ago. here is some footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLBy2ieWrQ

Been hitting some good pr's on the stones and the log. my deadlift is stuck at just under 600lbs. have not been squatting that heavy. hit 575 for a double 5 weeks ago.

Looking forward to resurrecting this thread and hearing from everyone else.

Brick By Brick
11-29-10, 2:29 pm
Have not been on the boards for a while. just wanted to update you guys on stuff.

Last couple of contests

May 18th battle of the badass wallkill, NY. 3rd place in 231's
July 23rd-24th Hartford Europa (winner got procard) 8th out of 12
September 18th Hudson Valley Walkill, NY: 3rd place in the 231's

My next contest is the Battle of the Barn in West Coxsackie, NY. I took a trip up there a couple of weeks ago. here is some footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLBy2ieWrQ

Been hitting some good pr's on the stones and the log. my deadlift is stuck at just under 600lbs. have not been squatting that heavy. hit 575 for a double 5 weeks ago.

Looking forward to resurrecting this thread and hearing from everyone else.

Cool - Battle of the Barn will be a great comp. Congrats on your PRs on the log and stones! Maybe after I get moved to Colorado Springs in February, get a new job, buy a new house, etc., I'd like to compete in that one, as well as the Paxton comp, perhaps in 2012. Have a great Monday!

boar
11-29-10, 5:29 pm
Cool - Battle of the Barn will be a great comp. Congrats on your PRs on the log and stones! Maybe after I get moved to Colorado Springs in February, get a new job, buy a new house, etc., I'd like to compete in that one, as well as the Paxton comp, perhaps in 2012. Have a great Monday!

Thanks strongwoman! yea I stick to the Hudson Valley and Barn shows. they are the heaviest amateur shows in the northeast.

Brick By Brick
11-29-10, 5:34 pm
Thanks strongwoman! yea I stick to the Hudson Valley and Barn shows. they are the heaviest amateur shows in the northeast.

Excellent. My next comp is the Snowman Invitational in Meridian, Idaho, Feb. 19.

boar
11-29-10, 10:05 pm
Excellent. My next comp is the Snowman Invitational in Meridian, Idaho, Feb. 19.

I will be seeing you hit podium when I check out the results on NAS.

Brick By Brick
11-30-10, 10:26 am
I will be seeing you hit podium when I check out the results on NAS.

Definitely. I got my butt kicked at NAS Nationals, I'm not letting that happen again.

LegendKillerJosh
06-22-11, 1:08 pm
I'm looking for a good split that trains about 4-5 days per week. Right now I powerlift at a powerlifting gym and we all follow the westside conjugate methodology. I'm seeing fantastic size and strength gains and plan on competing very soon. But ultimately, I want to get into strongman down the road. I figure it's never to early to start practicing events. We have all the equipment I could ask for - africa stone, giant log, farmers walk handles, atlas stones, a super yoke and plenty more. My question is, can I follow the westside routine but also start incorporating strongman events in with my training? Should I do my events on seperate days or as support work?

If I were to design a routine myself it would go something like this (similar to what svend karlsen did - he is my idol and I've watched his video a thousand times)

Sunday - ME bench
Bench press
incline bench press with the giant log
close grip bench press
tricep extensions

Monday - rest

Tuesday - ME Lower
Squat
good mornings
a few runs with the super yoke
a few heavy farmers walks

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - DE Bench
Bench triples for speed
Overhead log press for delts
Db side raises and crucifix holds

Friday - rest

Saturday - DE Lower
Squat or deads triples for speed
atlas stones
reverse hypers
leg curls

This is just a rough draft I threw together. What do you think? Does this look alright or would it be beneficial to leave the 4 westside days alone and add a fifth day to practice 2-3 events and rotate every week?

Brick By Brick
06-22-11, 1:26 pm
I'm looking for a good split that trains about 4-5 days per week. Right now I powerlift at a powerlifting gym and we all follow the westside conjugate methodology. I'm seeing fantastic size and strength gains and plan on competing very soon. But ultimately, I want to get into strongman down the road. I figure it's never to early to start practicing events. We have all the equipment I could ask for - africa stone, giant log, farmers walk handles, atlas stones, a super yoke and plenty more. My question is, can I follow the westside routine but also start incorporating strongman events in with my training? Should I do my events on seperate days or as support work?

If I were to design a routine myself it would go something like this (similar to what svend karlsen did - he is my idol and I've watched his video a thousand times)

Sunday - ME bench
Bench press
incline bench press with the giant log
close grip bench press
tricep extensions

Monday - rest

Tuesday - ME Lower
Squat
good mornings
a few runs with the super yoke
a few heavy farmers walks

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - DE Bench
Bench triples for speed
Overhead log press for delts
Db side raises and crucifix holds

Friday - rest

Saturday - DE Lower
Squat or deads triples for speed
atlas stones
reverse hypers
leg curls

This is just a rough draft I threw together. What do you think? Does this look alright or would it be beneficial to leave the 4 westside days alone and add a fifth day to practice 2-3 events and rotate every week?

Your basic plan looks good. I did something similar for the past 8 weeks or so, and did well at my last contest, Parker Days, 6/11. The last 3-4 weeks, I dropped a lifting day, so I lifted twice a week, and did events once a week. No lifting of any kind the last 7-10 days before the contest. Just did foam rolling, stretching, myofascial release pre-contest. I'm 39 though, so if you're a young guy and can ingest enough good calories and get enough sleep to keep up, I think this program will work well for you.

LegendKillerJosh
06-23-11, 7:36 pm
Your basic plan looks good. I did something similar for the past 8 weeks or so, and did well at my last contest, Parker Days, 6/11. The last 3-4 weeks, I dropped a lifting day, so I lifted twice a week, and did events once a week. No lifting of any kind the last 7-10 days before the contest. Just did foam rolling, stretching, myofascial release pre-contest. I'm 39 though, so if you're a young guy and can ingest enough good calories and get enough sleep to keep up, I think this program will work well for you.

I had been looking at some different strongman routines and most of them called for training 6 days per week, and to be honest looked like total overkill to me. I figure for now I want to continue trying to increase my powerlifts, which a lot of strongmen start out doing. If I can increase my powerlifts, and overall strength, and practice events even if it's just 1 or 2 events per week I think that will get me on the right path. My main focus now is just trying to gain weight which is hard for me because I train atleast an hour sometimes up to 1.5-2 hours up to 4 or 5 days per week and I'm naturally a lean guy.

Aggression
02-01-12, 9:26 am
Bringing some life back into this thread here ...

I just finished up my 3rd powerlifting meet and had a great outcome; posted 6 PRs, including a 55lb total meet PR compared to my meet 3 months ago. Strongman training has always appealed to me, but I've never gotten too involved. I was planning on starting the 5/3/1 again to focus on strength in the main lifts as well as functional strength/conditioning. My gym doesn't have any Strongman equipment, but my buddy has a little gym in his garage with some tires, kettle bells, and a log press. Off the top of my head, I think I would do the 5/3/1 in 3 days; Squat, Dead, and then BP/MP on the same day. And then have the 4th day be conditioning/event training. I'm not looking to fully go gun-ho into strongman event training, but I definitely want to get familiar with that type of thing. I may want to do some type of minor competition.

Any ideas on a split/workout schedule?