PDA

View Full Version : Personal War and Demons

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

machineman
08-09-08, 5:34 am
Well, this is my first training and diet log. I have never done this before so I figure this is a good place to start!!

I cut weight for the better part of the past year (Sept 07 until July 26, 2008). I took a week off and now I am starting a bulk program. I would like to add 10 pounds of mass doing a clean bulk. You ALL can see my diet here:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=cappi1000

I would like to learn more as I am pretty new at really watching what I eat as it pertains to my goals. If there is ANYTHING you see that I need to change or I shoud try or I should not do, please let me know! I am here to learn.

AS far as workout....I am doing a 5X5 routine. I will post that up in a minute. I am also training in Jujitsu and Aikido. I usually train 2 days a week. That equates to anywhere from 2-4 hours a week.

Like I said, this is my first try at this. If there is something that is missing, let me know and i will get it up ASAP.

My "stats":

6'3"
221 pounds (down from 265 in 9/07)
19% BF (last measured around Oct 07)

That's about it for now........

machineman
08-09-08, 11:51 am
Well....Last night was Jujitsu training.....legs were already shot from Thursday.....Worked on single and double leg take downs and escapes.......

Today's workout is:

Preacher Curls
Barbell Calf Raises
Seated Calf Raises
Front Delt Rows
Lateral Raises
Rear Delt Row
Barbel Tri Ext.

This is the first time for this workout so we will see how it all goes.....I will give 100% because that is all I have to give.....I CANNOT fall back into the days of waste and laziness......I give my all in everything I do....I know no other way.....Is there any other way???

silverbax80
08-09-08, 1:01 pm
Well....Last night was Jujitsu training.....legs were already shot from Thursday.....Worked on single and double leg take downs and escapes.......

Today's workout is:

Preacher Curls
Barbell Calf Raises
Seated Calf Raises
Front Delt Rows
Lateral Raises
Rear Delt Row
Barbel Tri Ext.

This is the first time for this workout so we will see how it all goes.....I will give 100% because that is all I have to give.....I CANNOT fall back into the days of waste and laziness......I give my all in everything I do....I know no other way.....Is there any other way???

Do you think you could post your intended training split? It would also help you and anyone viewing if you could put in set and reps in addition to the exercises performed. Anxious to see how your mass gaining phase goes!

machineman
08-09-08, 2:20 pm
Yeah...Sorry! I am going with a 5X5 routine.

I will post the exercises, weights and reps once I get back from the gym....

Vaze_06
08-09-08, 2:57 pm

sweet
i'm sub

atrain11b
08-09-08, 3:04 pm

Awesome a 5x5, looking to do this myself at the beggining of the new year. Subbed to learn as you go!

machineman
08-09-08, 5:06 pm
Numbers from todays workout.....I am still in the learning stages of where I need to be weight wise, so that is why some of the weights jump so much....as I have ALOT to learn!!

Preacher Curls: 5X50, 5X50, 5X60, 4X60, 6X50 (60 was too much.....failed at 6@50) bar weight NOT included....not sure what bar weight is anyway!

Barbell Calf Raises: 5X275, 5X295, 5X295, 5X315, 5X315 (personal best)

Seated Calf Raises: 5X90, 5X90, 5X135, 5X170, 5X170

Front Delt Rows: 5X15, 5X20, 5X25, 5X25, 5X25

Lateral Raises: 5X15, 5X20, 5X20, 5X20, 5X25

Rear Delt Row: 5X135, 5X185, 5X185, 5X185, 5X185

Barbel Tri Ext.: 5X100, 5X120, 5X120, 5X120, 5X150 (personal best...also was the full stack)

I have to say that there are certainly things that I am happy with and there are things that I am not happy with.....It is painfully obvious that I need to work on shoulders....which I will do. I am working as hard as I can and I know the gains will come......

silverbax80
08-09-08, 7:40 pm
Good stuff, man! I'm going to straight-shoot you, though. If this was a shoulders dominant session and you're trying to slap on some mass, I think you could stand to use a multi-joint movement such as military presses, seated press, or push press. I'm not trying to preach, just help! Maybe you could post your intended exercise selection by day ahead of time, let myself and others critque it and help you make adjustments. The goal here is to build you up, not shoot you down. Trust me, I wish I had guidance when I started out!

shizz702
08-09-08, 8:03 pm
Yep I'm gonna agree with what silver said bro, you're just starting out so don't waste your time with isolation exercises right now. Develop a solid foundation first with the basic lifts and then afterward pump your biceps all you want. Here's a standard beginner program that's GUARANTEED to produce good results is you put forth the effort:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

I'm not trying to bash you're program or anything, just trying to help. Trust me if I could do it all over again I would've started out with a program like the one I'm recommending you!

T o m m Y
08-09-08, 8:11 pm
Yep I'm gonna agree with what silver said bro, you're just starting out so don't waste your time with isolation exercises right now. Develop a solid foundation first with the basic lifts and then afterward pump your biceps all you want. Here's a standard beginner program that's GUARANTEED to produce good results is you put forth the effort:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

I'm not trying to bash you're program or anything, just trying to help. Trust me if I could do it all over again I would've started out with a program like the one I'm recommending you!

very good program!!

do this!

goodluck!

machineman
08-09-08, 9:15 pm
That is why I posted all this stuff was so that if I am not doing something that I should, you guys can correct me! Like I said before, I am here to learn.....there is so much knowledge here and I just want to make sure I am doing everything I possible can to maximize the workouts....

I will definitely take a look at the routine you linked to and switch to that....

Thanks for the help......Much appreciated......

silverbax80
08-09-08, 9:18 pm
Kick ass, dude! I like your attitude!

shizz702
08-09-08, 9:19 pm
That is why I posted all this stuff was so that if I am not doing something that I should, you guys can correct me! Like I said before, I am here to learn.....there is so much knowledge here and I just want to make sure I am doing everything I possible can to maximize the workouts....

I will definitely take a look at the routine you linked to and switch to that....

Thanks for the help......Much appreciated......

Right on man! You have come to the right place! If you have any questions feel free to drop me a pm.

machineman
08-09-08, 10:18 pm
Wow...I didn't get through all of it but I get the idea! Thanks for the tip!!

back to the drawing board again!!

machineman
08-09-08, 10:19 pm
Kick ass, dude! I like your attitude!

Thanks, bro!!!! Most people tell me I have a bad attitude....I tell them, No, I just don't like you!!

silverbax80
08-09-08, 10:20 pm
Thanks, bro!!!! Most people tell me I have a bad attitude....I tell them, No, I just don't like you!!

They're just sensitive Beta male estrogenic types!

machineman
08-09-08, 10:22 pm
I really do appreciate the help.....I will post up the workout tomorrow......it is after all a training day!!

Gotta hit the rack......got to get up at 3am to finish some side work (machining).......

machineman
08-09-08, 10:30 pm
Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Power cleans (I think I will switch this to the pendlay rows instead)......

So I should just follow this example here? I am assuming that these do not include a warm up set(s) correct? If not, how many sets should be used for a warm up?

I also don't have a free weight squat rack available. All the YMCA has is a smith machine....Suggestions? Same with the standing military press......should I do those with out a rack? What would the movement be to get the bar into position???

Okay..seriously.....I gotta go!! I will check in tomorrow and see what you all came up with....

peace....

silverbax80
08-09-08, 10:40 pm
Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Power cleans (I think I will switch this to the pendlay rows instead)......

So I should just follow this example here? I am assuming that these do not include a warm up set(s) correct? If not, how many sets should be used for a warm up?

I also don't have a free weight squat rack available. All the YMCA has is a smith machine....Suggestions? Same with the standing military press......should I do those with out a rack? What would the movement be to get the bar into position???

Okay..seriously.....I gotta go!! I will check in tomorrow and see what you all came up with....

peace....

Looks good. I love power cleans, but if you want to switch, the alt. is ok. Smitty Squats are OK, just don't equal reg squats...but as long as you go ATG you'll survive. You can alternate those with front squats as well. Ref. military press: Make it a clean and press combo: favorite of Legend Lee Haney!

silverbax80
08-09-08, 11:15 pm
Oh yeah, and def. warm up w/about 2 sets.

machineman
08-10-08, 2:41 pm
I don't know if the link to my diet page has changed or not, but they upgraded some stuff so I am going to stick it back in here just in case.....

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=cappi1000

So, having taken the advise from those smarter than I, I dropped the 5X5 routine for now and just went back to the basics.....I realize now that my form was terrible before and I was not concentrating on it.....much better today....and I will pay tomorrow!!

An now.....the numbers:

Squat.....100% were ATG
8 X 95
7 X 115
5 X 135
5 X 145
5 X 155

Bench......proper form and controlled lifts:
10 X 95
8 X 115
5 X 125
5 X 135
5 X 145

Deadlift....again attention paid to form.....
135 X 5
185 X 5
225 X 2
275 X 1

I was surprised I was able to do the squats ATG....I have had 2 knee ops and don't have a lot of faith in it.....the reps did not hurt at all (except hammering the quads!)....I guess the 53 pounds I dropped really had more of a positive effect that I thought.......Bench press still bother my should a touch.....nothing that getting stronger won't take care of though....dead lift was nice.....a great way to finish off the workout.....

Thanks for the advise.....I am going to feel this one tomorrow!!

silverbax80
08-10-08, 2:48 pm
I don't know if the link to my diet page has changed or not, but they upgraded some stuff so I am going to stick it back in here just in case.....

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=cappi1000

So, having taken the advise from those smarter than I, I dropped the 5X5 routine for now and just went back to the basics.....I realize now that my form was terrible before and I was not concentrating on it.....much better today....and I will pay tomorrow!!

An now.....the numbers:

Squat.....100% were ATG
8 X 95
7 X 115
5 X 135
5 X 145
5 X 155

Bench......proper form and controlled lifts:
10 X 95
8 X 115
5 X 125
5 X 135
5 X 145

Deadlift....again attention paid to form.....
135 X 5
185 X 5
225 X 2
275 X 1

I was surprised I was able to do the squats ATG....I have had 2 knee ops and don't have a lot of faith in it.....the reps did not hurt at all (except hammering the quads!)....I guess the 53 pounds I dropped really had more of a positive effect that I thought.......Bench press still bother my should a touch.....nothing that getting stronger won't take care of though....dead lift was nice.....a great way to finish off the workout.....

Thanks for the advise.....I am going to feel this one tomorrow!!

I think this was def. a more focused session. Good job! Master the basics, gain some mass, then throw in the isolation work. Can't wait to see what you do next!

k1usa
08-10-08, 4:35 pm
like what I see....good solid training here bro.....never count reps...go to failure or puke....some days its 9 others 15....just go with what the gut feels....go till its grinding your teeth till they bleed....never give in to a number...god knows I did not when I started back at BB at the young age of 54.....keep up the great work bro....you are a wonderful addition to this forum......

shizz702
08-10-08, 5:49 pm
Damn that sucks that you don't have a free weight squat rack available. The smith machine can't even compare to free weights, cause with free weights your whole body has to balance the bar and it recruits stablizer muscles and such. If you can't join a gym that has one and you absolutely have to use a smith machine I guess it will do.

Okay anyways, the breakdown of the program goes like this:

warm up gradually to your work sets.

Then on all exercises except for the deadlift do 3 sets of 5 reps. With the deadlift do 1 set of 5 reps.

Every time you achieve these sets, add 5 lbs the next workout.

You will get very strong very quick this way and should coast on with linear progress for some time before you stall. Inevitably you will eventually stall and not make your prescribed sets and reps, when that happens try for it the next workout. If you miss it the next workout then deload the weight a bit and work back up.

After a while once you completely plateau, then you will be ready for a more advanced program.

About the free weights, you are at least able to bench, deadlift and do the rows with free weights right?

Also definitely stick with the rows for now, the power cleans need to be taught to you by a coach or someone who knows how to do them, they are a very technical lift.

Lastly, stick with this program as is, don't add anything to it except for some ab work once in a while if you wish. But it is the way it is for a reason. As long as you do it as is and put for the effort I guarantee you will see excellent results!

Btw good first session there bro, you are off to a good start!

Edit, and I forgot to mention you do "sets across" with it. Where you warm up to your work set, and do 3 sets of 5 reps with the same weight.

With 5x5's you usually work up to a top set of 5 with 5 sets of 5 reps, but with this particular program you warm up and do 3x5 with the same top weight. Of course except with the deadlift you warm up to one top set of 5.

machineman
08-10-08, 6:24 pm
The bench, rows and deadlift I can do with free standing weights........I was trying to remember what I had read about adding weight or not.....I couldn't remember, so I just went with it!!

Now....My next workout day is Tuesday.....I usually train in Jujitsu on Tuesday.....Should I do the workout first thing in the AM? That would be the only time for me to get it in.....at 4am......If yes, what would you suggest food wise before I go? I can train on an empty stomach I need be......

silverbax80
08-10-08, 6:35 pm
The bench, rows and deadlift I can do with free standing weights........I was trying to remember what I had read about adding weight or not.....I couldn't remember, so I just went with it!!

Now....My next workout day is Tuesday.....I usually train in Jujitsu on Tuesday.....Should I do the workout first thing in the AM? That would be the only time for me to get it in.....at 4am......If yes, what would you suggest food wise before I go? I can train on an empty stomach I need be......

1. If this is going to be your main focus, put all your energy into it. Training after a hard Jujitsu session would be perilous and def. iterfere w/training intensity.

2. Eat something simple...needs simple carbs and fast digesting protein (such as whey isolate). It could be as simple as mixing powdered Gatorade and whey protein w/water. Maybe eating instant oatmeal w/protein powder mixed in would work for you as well. Another pt: I'm sure your nervous system is not "awake" yet at that hour. Be sure to take in a stimulant to counter that. Never, never train on an empty stomach, though.

shizz702
08-10-08, 6:44 pm
Yea bro definitely in the AM before jiu jistu.

You seem pretty experienced in the martial arts so I'm sure weight training before hand won't affect that.

I wouldn't advise working out on an empty stomach. The most covenient way to take in a meal early in the morning before training is a meal replacement shake. Get some whey protein, and you can mix some raw oats and some fruit or whatever with that, done deal. Also always remember to take in a whey shake immediately after training.

machineman
08-10-08, 7:11 pm
Awesome....Thanks guys.....

So, on Tuesday I will report on the morning workout and how it goes.......

machineman
08-11-08, 9:33 am
So, tomorrow I am supposed to do standing military press.....Should I use db's since I don't have access to a rack? I need some advise on what to do here.....

tia.....

machineman
08-11-08, 2:06 pm
I am really trying to keep the carbs and protein up and fat at a reasonable level, but I feel am huge (fat) today....I just feel like all I do is eat....I even jumped on the scale here at the shop (certified shipping scale) and I only weighed in at 219......So I don't know if it is just my body still trying to adapt to this new routine or what.....I almost feel guilty and shitty for eating so much.....I guess that comes from weighing 265 because I was a lazy dumbass.....I never want to go back to that place.....I love this place much better than that place.....I am NOT where I want to be, but it will not happen overnight.....I know this...I just feel blah today.......Can't wait til tomorrow AM so I can fight the demon again.....slay his ass for another day......I just keep hearing in my head that I will get fat again and I am not having that......oh well......rant over.....

silverbax80
08-11-08, 7:30 pm
I am really trying to keep the carbs and protein up and fat at a reasonable level, but I feel am huge (fat) today....I just feel like all I do is eat....I even jumped on the scale here at the shop (certified shipping scale) and I only weighed in at 219......So I don't know if it is just my body still trying to adapt to this new routine or what.....I almost feel guilty and shitty for eating so much.....I guess that comes from weighing 265 because I was a lazy dumbass.....I never want to go back to that place.....I love this place much better than that place.....I am NOT where I want to be, but it will not happen overnight.....I know this...I just feel blah today.......Can't wait til tomorrow AM so I can fight the demon again.....slay his ass for another day......I just keep hearing in my head that I will get fat again and I am not having that......oh well......rant over.....

I don't know, but it sounds like you're either carb sensitive or retaining water for some reason. Check your sodium consumption. Also, what kind of carbs are you eating: low gi or high gi? All of that can come into play. What might be happening too is that your body went from consuming moderate macronutrient levels to high amts in short period of time and is fighting it. Maybe you want to go back to your previous level and slowly increase over a period of weeks.

shizz702
08-11-08, 8:11 pm
So, tomorrow I am supposed to do standing military press.....Should I use db's since I don't have access to a rack? I need some advise on what to do here.....

tia.....

Man I wish you had access to a squat rack. Any chance you can join a gym that has one? The whole point of this program is barbell training, and to get strong on the basic lifts. The whole core of it too is the squats, and I hate to break it to you but you're not gonna get the whole effect of it squatting on a smith machine. I highly recommend you join a gym that has a rack. If that's not an option go ahead and do the military presses on the smith machine cause again the whole point of this program is barbell training, and that way the smith machine will at lest mimic it, and plus you want to add 5 lbs to your lifts after every workout and it's hard to make steady progress on the db's since they go up 5 lbs on each bell and you'll plateau quick on them.

machineman
08-11-08, 9:21 pm
Thanks, guys......I am going to to link to some pics so you can see what kind of a mess you have to work with!!! These are just straight pics with flex or anything.....

The first pics the afternoon of my grappling tournament after I was done....and pretty much before I had anything to eat...

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf3220vk4.jpg

These were taken tonight......Not real pretty or good.....just what ya got to work with...

Side Leg
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2383/sidelegnt7.jpg

Front Upper Body
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2120/frontupperox6.jpg

Front Leg
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8139/frontlegon4.jpg

Back Upper Body
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6576/backupperjx3.jpg

Back Lower Leg
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1429/backlegeh5.jpg

Profile Upper Body
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2347/sideupperpl8.jpg

machineman
08-11-08, 9:23 pm
I know I need a lot of work, so lay it on me and tell me what you think.....

shizz702
08-11-08, 9:31 pm
I know I need a lot of work, so lay it on me and tell me what you think.....

No problem brotha, you have a lot of potential. You seem to already have a nice size frame naturally, so strength and mass should come easily for you.

Just stick with this program for a good while and you'll transform your body and get very strong.

Here's your check list:

Eat something every 3 hours, don't want to go catabolic.

Eat clean and healthy.

Train consistently, don't skip sessions.

Log your training, add 5 lbs to the bar every workout til you plateau.

Get minimum 8 hrs quality sleep a night.

Have a cheat meal once a week to maintain sanity ;)

It's as simple as that brotha.

machineman
08-11-08, 9:41 pm
Man...I gotta thank you guys sooo much.....I know I am new at this part of the game and I know it take time and dedication....all of which I WILL give.....I am just pissed at myself for letting myself go.....I used to be a competitive swimmer when I was younger and through h.s.

I have been keeping track of everything (diet and weight).....I will post up and let everyone know what is going on.....this is my accountability.....to you guys that are taking time out of your day to help me.....I want this for me but I also want to show you that I listened and I learned....and that you are partly responsible for my success......I am the only one responsible for my failure....and that is NOT a fucking option at this point in my life.......

shizz702
08-11-08, 9:47 pm
Man...I gotta thank you guys sooo much.....I know I am new at this part of the game and I know it take time and dedication....all of which I WILL give.....I am just pissed at myself for letting myself go.....I used to be a competitive swimmer when I was younger and through h.s.

I have been keeping track of everything (diet and weight).....I will post up and let everyone know what is going on.....this is my accountability.....to you guys that are taking time out of your day to help me.....I want this for me but I also want to show you that I listened and I learned....and that you are partly responsible for my success......I am the only one responsible for my failure....and that is NOT a fucking option at this point in my life.......

You got the right attitude and mindset bro, you're gonna go far! Don't beat yourself up, what's done is done, take all that out on the Iron! No better way to do it!

machineman
08-11-08, 10:10 pm
all I can say is it is gonna suck to be them little round fuckers tomorrow......

sorry past my bedtime and mommy says it's time to go!!

I will be hitting the gym in the pm tomorrow....nit going to make it to m.a. class.......

machineman
08-12-08, 8:43 pm
So the demons reared their head as soon as I got home from work today. I swear, them little fuckers must know when I don't want to be messed with, cause they always seem to bush the EASY button on days like today.

Anyway, enough of that....onto the workout.....

This was my first day on workout B and my second for doing ATG squats.....

Warmup--bike for 5 minutes, stretch for 10 minutes

Squats
warm up 8 X 95
warm up 8 X 95
5 X 160
5 X 160
7 X 160 (for you Russ!)

Military Press
warm up 10 X 95
warm up 8 X 95
5 X 115
5 X 135
6 X 135 (barely got it)

Rows
warm up 10 X 95
warm up 10 X 95
5 X 135
5 X 135
10 X 135 (need to increase the weight?)

I felt GOOD today in the gym.....I had some extra motivation. I will be revamping my diet over the next few days, so I would appreciate it if you guys could check it over and let me know if there are some things that need to be changed.

I have been super pumped about the fact that I can get through a set of atg squats. I never would have thought I could do it. But, I just bit the bullet and gave it a shot and what do you know!!

machineman
08-14-08, 5:16 am
So, here it is, 5:15am and I am ready to go to the gym....problem is, I am already at work. I typical day starts at around 3:30am.....I don't usually get to bed until about 10pm. I know, it's not enough sleep. I am working on that.....I can't wait until I can train more often...I am really loving this again and I think that is something that I was missing when I was younger....I wasn't in the right mindset...I certainly wish I was but I wasn't....what's done is done, right shizz?

As far as getting into another gym, I am going to approach this carefully.....I asked for $40 to get some more protein the other day and, well, guess how that went.....My only friend that is really into training is looking at joining a gym that has a location not more than 4 minutes from me....if he does this I think I am going to tell the mrs that I need to be there and I need a membership there. Let's see how that goes....I think it will be okay, but who know's.....

Did I mention that I can't wait to go workout this afternoon? Man, I can feel a great workout coming up!!!!!!

machineman
08-14-08, 6:48 pm
5 minutes on bike to warm up
stretch for about 6 minutes

Squat
95 X 15
155 X 8
165X 8
175 X 5
175 X 5
175 X 6/fail

Bench
95 X10
115 X 10
135 X 8
155 X 5
145 X 7

Deadlift
135 X 7
155 X7
225 X 5
275 X 5/ tried for 6 but couldn't get it all the way up

silverbax80
08-14-08, 7:31 pm

Squat
95 X 15
155 X 8
165X 8
175 X 5
175 X 5
175 X 6/fail

Bench
95 X10
115 X 10
135 X 8
155 X 5
145 X 7

Deadlift
135 X 7
155 X7
225 X 5

Good stuff, man! Keeping it simple, I see. You might want to leave the stretching for after your lifting though (unless it's dynamic).

shizz702
08-14-08, 7:34 pm

Squat
95 X 15
155 X 8
165X 8
175 X 5
175 X 5
175 X 6/fail

Bench
95 X10
115 X 10
135 X 8
155 X 5
145 X 7

Deadlift
135 X 7
155 X7
225 X 5

Good shit bro, remember to keep it 3 sets of 5 across with the same weight after warm ups though. Also, don't worry about extra reps, or going to failure, save it for the 5 lb increase for the next workout.

For example, on the bench you'd do 145, for 3 sets of 5, then on your next bench press workout you'd do 150 3 sets of 5, then the next bench press workout 155 3 sets of 5, etc.

machineman
08-14-08, 8:05 pm
gotcha.....I need to just stick to the rules!! I have a hard time not pushing myself.....I want to train as hard as I can....

silverbax80
08-14-08, 9:40 pm
Machineman! Quit breakin' the damn rules you crazy bastard! Calm your damn enthusiasm...you just can't control yourself can you? (Just kidding, don't hurt me.)

shizz702
08-14-08, 9:44 pm
gotcha.....I need to just stick to the rules!! I have a hard time not pushing myself.....I want to train as hard as I can....

Haha nothing wrong with that bro, that's a good thing. But a few months from now when your lifting 100 lbs + more on these exercises you'll see why you want to stick with the 3x5 ;)

5 rep sets are good for all around strength development. Remember too, more strength means more muscle, which will in turn also mean having less fat and looking better.

Right now just focus on steady poundage progression, every workout be ready for that 5 lb jump. You'll see, you're gonna get strong quick! There's no better way to do it when just starting out!

silverbax80
08-14-08, 9:48 pm
Haha nothing wrong with that bro, that's a good thing. But a few months from now when your lifting 100 lbs + more on these exercises you'll see why you want to stick with the 3x5 ;)

5 rep sets are good for all around strength development. Remember too, more strength means more muscle, which will in turn also mean having less fat and looking better.

Right now just focus on steady poundage progression, every workout be ready for that 5 lb jump. You'll see, you're gonna get strong quick! There's no better way to do it when just starting out!

Jokes aside, listen to this guy...he'll steer you right.

machineman
08-15-08, 5:00 am
Machineman! Quit breakin' the damn rules you crazy bastard! Calm your damn enthusiasm...you just can't control yourself can you? (Just kidding, don't hurt me.)

hahaha...not really! Toning it down a notch just doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary!

I can tell that I am getting stronger already....of course it wasn't going to take much!!

question....how long between sets do you take? I am taking between 2 and 3 minutes. Is that too much time?

machineman
08-16-08, 5:06 am
Last night wasn't a weight session, but a Jujitsu lesson. It was basically open mat for 2 hours. Whoever shows up can work on whatever they want. I usually help the guys that are getting ready to fight. So, I helped a couple of guys last night then a buddy of mine showed up and we played for a couple of times (all total probably 10 minutes). The overall feeling I had last night was incredible. I have never felt as strong as I did last night. Even my buddy was like that was crazy....some of the positions I had he could not get out of. So, it really felt good to see and feel the gains that I am making in the gym, paying off in the dojo as well.

We are heading out of town this morning, so I am up to get my workout in before we leave. Then I won't have to worry about the hotel not having a little workout room. I will post numbers when I get home......

silverbax80
08-17-08, 6:27 pm
Last night wasn't a weight session, but a Jujitsu lesson. It was basically open mat for 2 hours. Whoever shows up can work on whatever they want. I usually help the guys that are getting ready to fight. So, I helped a couple of guys last night then a buddy of mine showed up and we played for a couple of times (all total probably 10 minutes). The overall feeling I had last night was incredible. I have never felt as strong as I did last night. Even my buddy was like that was crazy....some of the positions I had he could not get out of. So, it really felt good to see and feel the gains that I am making in the gym, paying off in the dojo as well.

We are heading out of town this morning, so I am up to get my workout in before we leave. Then I won't have to worry about the hotel not having a little workout room. I will post numbers when I get home......

Pretty soon you'll be snappin' necks like Big Stevie Segall! Yes, I know he's Akido not Jujitsu. I just liked the imagery though.

machineman
08-17-08, 8:34 pm
Okay...sorry for the delay in getting the numbers up....I didn't have time after I got home from the gym and before we left.....

Bike 5 minute warm up

Squat
115 X 10
135 X 8
180 X 5
180 X 5
180 X 5

Military Press
115 X 10
120 X 10
140 X 5
140 X 5
140 X 5

Rows
95 X 15
115 X 10
145 X 5
145 X 5
145 X 5

This was my first time doing a workout first thing in the morning. I could tell that my strength was down. The squats felt pretty hard. the military press wasn't too bad, and the rows got easier. I think if I have to do another workout first thing again, I will have to get up earlier, so I can get more food in me or something. I hit the gym at 6am, got up at 4:45 and it takes about 7 minutes to get there from here...

All in all it was a good workout....I had to struggle and get through it....it was also nice to have the whole place to myself for the first 50 minutes!!

Until tomorrow.......

shizz702
08-17-08, 8:40 pm
Okay...sorry for the delay in getting the numbers up....I didn't have time after I got home from the gym and before we left.....

Bike 5 minute warm up

Squat
115 X 10
135 X 8
180 X 5
180 X 5
180 X 5

Military Press
115 X 10
120 X 10
140 X 5
140 X 5
140 X 5

Rows
95 X 15
115 X 10
145 X 5
145 X 5
145 X 5

This was my first time doing a workout first thing in the morning. I could tell that my strength was down. The squats felt pretty hard. the military press wasn't too bad, and the rows got easier. I think if I have to do another workout first thing again, I will have to get up earlier, so I can get more food in me or something. I hit the gym at 6am, got up at 4:45 and it takes about 7 minutes to get there from here...

All in all it was a good workout....I had to struggle and get through it....it was also nice to have the whole place to myself for the first 50 minutes!!

Until tomorrow.......

Perfect bro! Those are some good numbers too! You must be naturally strong cause it takes most people a long time to military press 140, especially in the standing position! I'm telling you, you are going to get so fucking strong on this program! You are just starting out and already your numbers are great! Keep it up bro!

silverbax80
08-17-08, 9:13 pm

Bike 5 minute warm up

Squat
115 X 10
135 X 8
180 X 5
180 X 5
180 X 5

Military Press
115 X 10
120 X 10
140 X 5
140 X 5
140 X 5

Rows
95 X 15
115 X 10
145 X 5
145 X 5
145 X 5

Until tomorrow.......

Good lifting...way to hoss! Remember, it takes the CNS a couple of hours to "wake up". Next time try using caffeine to jump start it.

machineman
08-17-08, 9:14 pm
Perfect bro! Those are some good numbers too! You must be naturally strong cause it takes most people a long time to military press 140, especially in the standing position! I'm telling you, you are going to get so fucking strong on this program! You are just starting out and already your numbers are great! Keep it up bro!

yeah...I wish that military was from standing....smith machine...again...I am looking into the possibility of joining a new gym at the end of the month....I need a rack to work from....the old smithy is just not going to cut it.

I have thought about making my own and training at home, but that is not gonna work...too many distractions.

silverbax80
08-17-08, 9:30 pm
yeah...I wish that military was from standing....smith machine...again...I am looking into the possibility of joining a new gym at the end of the month....I need a rack to work from....the old smithy is just not going to cut it.

I have thought about making my own and training at home, but that is not gonna work...too many distractions.

I'm telling you bro, you don't need a rack. Hang clean it, then press for reps! Now that's Old School!

machineman
08-17-08, 9:35 pm
I think I will give that a try.......I don't care if they like it or not....if I get tossed, that is just another reason to go somewhere else!!

silverbax80
08-17-08, 9:41 pm
I think I will give that a try.......I don't care if they like it or not....if I get tossed, that is just another reason to go somewhere else!!

They shouldn't toss you as long as you don't let the weights slam on the floor. I used to train at the Y for a little bit and used to do all sorts of crazy stuff, like *gasp* deadlifts!

machineman
08-18-08, 9:06 pm
bike....5 minute warm up

Squat
115 X 10
135 X 10
185 X 5
185 X 5
185 X 5

Bench
105 X 10
125 X 10
145 X 5
145 X 5
145 X 5

Deadlift
115 X 10
135 X 10
235 X 5
235 X 5
235 X 5

shizz702
08-18-08, 9:12 pm
Again, good!

Yea bro ditch that gym and go somewhere where they have a power rack or squat rack. I can't emphasize enough how much you need to squat and press with free weights.

Read this:http://stronglifts.com/why-you-should-always-squat-with-free-weights/

Everything was perfect except on the deadlifts you only do one set of 5. If you want to do 3 I think that's ok but the program calls for 1 all out set of 5 because your lower back is already getting taxed so much from squatting 3 times a week.

machineman
08-18-08, 9:23 pm
DAMN.....the rules get in the way again!!

Now that I think about it, I don't know how I got into 3 X 5.....I realized once you said that, I was supposed to be doing 1 X 5.....

shizz702
08-18-08, 9:27 pm
DAMN.....the rules get in the way again!!

Now that I think about it, I don't know how I got into 3 X 5.....I realized once you said that, I was supposed to be doing 1 X 5.....

Haha reread that link I gave you ;) It explains it all lol.

machineman
08-20-08, 6:03 pm
bike 5 minute warm up

Squat
115 X 7
145 X 7
190 X 5
190 X 5
190 X 5

Military Press (standing)
95 X 10
115 X 5
115 X 5
115 X 3

Rows
95 X 8
115 X 8
165 X 5
165 X 5
165 X 5

The press was more difficult than I thought it would be....I need to work on my form for the hang clean.....I think I will deweight and start that over again.....with maybe 10 or 15 pounds a side.....I cannot believe the difference between seated and standing military press.....

well, back at it Friday....we will see how it goes.

silverbax80
08-20-08, 6:19 pm
bike 5 minute warm up

Squat
115 X 7
145 X 7
190 X 5
190 X 5
190 X 5

Military Press (standing)
95 X 10
115 X 5
115 X 5
115 X 3

Rows
95 X 8
115 X 8
165 X 5
165 X 5
165 X 5

The press was more difficult than I thought it would be....I need to work on my form for the hang clean.....I think I will deweight and start that over again.....with maybe 10 or 15 pounds a side.....I cannot believe the difference between seated and standing military press.....

well, back at it Friday....we will see how it goes.

Yeah man, you have the right idea...get your technique right then focus on the pounds. You might want to set the bb on two benches and clean it from that height. Just get your hips and lower back into it and throw it up.

shizz702
08-20-08, 7:10 pm
Don't worry bro, you did good!

The standing military press is a great exercise and will pay great dividends to your upper body. Stick with it. Try for the 115 next session again and if you don't get all the sets and reps in that time then deload a bit.

machineman
08-20-08, 9:37 pm
unfortunately, I had to kind of rush to get through the last part of my workout....I promised the mrs. that I would take her to a movie tonight.......oh well.....I will have plenty of time to kick my ass on friday.......

machineman
08-20-08, 9:58 pm
well, i just had about 8 ounces of chicken for my "snack" and I am off to bed....we are going to get REAL busy at work in the next day or so.....I am going to ask that you guys help me as I will be probably working 80-90 hours a week for the next couple months.....I have been religious about going to the gym...I have not missed a workout date and I don't plan on starting now......not after I can feel the difference......I think I can see a slight difference, but we will have to wait for another week or so.....I will take pics about once a month and keep a photo journal as well......

peace my brothers in iron

shizz702
08-20-08, 10:04 pm
well, i just had about 8 ounces of chicken for my "snack" and I am off to bed....we are going to get REAL busy at work in the next day or so.....I am going to ask that you guys help me as I will be probably working 80-90 hours a week for the next couple months.....I have been religious about going to the gym...I have not missed a workout date and I don't plan on starting now......not after I can feel the difference......I think I can see a slight difference, but we will have to wait for another week or so.....I will take pics about once a month and keep a photo journal as well......

peace my brothers in iron

damn those are some long hours bro! If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Must pay a lot of overtime!

Anyways, a couple of things bro:

it's going to take a long time before you see a difference.

right now just focus on strength, by getting stronger you actually experience a difference by lifting heaver weights, which helps, providing motivation.

Give yourself several months before you expect to see a significant change in body composition. Again it takes a long time.

Lastly, with work being that strenous, don't beat yourself up if the time comes that you feel you need to take a break.

Sometimes it can be counterproductive to train when tired and in need of rest.

So, by all means never make a habit of skipping sessions, but at the same time listen to your body and if really is telling you to take a break, do it.

machineman
08-20-08, 10:11 pm
damn those are some long hours bro! If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? Must pay a lot of overtime!

Anyways, a couple of things bro:

it's going to take a long time before you see a difference.

right now just focus on strength, by getting stronger you actually experience a difference by lifting heaver weights, which helps, providing motivation.

Give yourself several months before you expect to see a significant change in body composition. Again it takes a long time.

Lastly, with work being that strenous, don't beat yourself up if the time comes that you feel you need to take a break.

Sometimes it can be counterproductive to train when tired and in need of rest.

So, by all means never make a habit of skipping sessions, but at the same time listen to your body and if really is telling you to take a break, do it.

I am a tool and die maker....I work in Product Development. We are doing alot of work for Europe. I design all our dies, fixtures and gages....then I get to go machine it all up too!! Then we build our own dies and run our own parts. We make 99% of the tooling we use.

I will take a break if need be, don't need to worry about that!

I know I am probably not any different visually, but man I do feel alot different already. I just want to be able to go back in 6 or 8 months and watch the change happen! I am pissed that I didn't take pics back in Sept 07 when I weighed 265.....

shizz702
08-20-08, 10:15 pm
I am a tool and die maker....I work in Product Development. We are doing alot of work for Europe. I design all our dies, fixtures and gages....then I get to go machine it all up too!! Then we build our own dies and run our own parts. We make 99% of the tooling we use.

I will take a break if need be, don't need to worry about that!

I know I am probably not any different visually, but man I do feel alot different already. I just want to be able to go back in 6 or 8 months and watch the change happen! I am pissed that I didn't take pics back in Sept 07 when I weighed 265.....

Ah hence the name machineman.

Glad to hear you feel better bro. When weight training you should feel better, not only should you feel more confidence but just better in terms of overall health. You're doing wonders for your body by doing this man so just keep it up. You can expect to see a significant change in the mirror within 6 months. Which isn't too long, but still, it takes a dedicated individual to stick it out that long, but I have faith you will brother!

machineman
08-21-08, 6:17 am
this feels easier than the 11 months I spent with eating very little and doing cardio til I was blue in the face...al the while dropping 55 pounds in that time...to me this part is the fun part!! I just have to get used to trying to eat as often as I should.

silverbax80
08-21-08, 9:54 am
this feels easier than the 11 months I spent with eating very little and doing cardio til I was blue in the face...al the while dropping 55 pounds in that time...to me this part is the fun part!! I just have to get used to trying to eat as often as I should.

The fun part is watching how you respond to your diet and training. It's slow at first, but you'll be amazed at the progress you make over time. Other people will notice it before you do. You'll exceed your own expectations before long.

shizz702
08-21-08, 10:25 am
The fun part is watching how you respond to your diet and training. It's slow at first, but you'll be amazed at the progress you make over time. Other people will notice it before you do. You'll exceed your own expectations before long.

So true. Half the time I thought I was looking the same and old friends would see me and be like,"damn you got big!"

Just keep it up bro and like silver said you'll exceed your expectations.

machineman
08-21-08, 10:34 am
I have already put too much into this to quite. That is NOT an option and NOT in my vocabulary!!

silverbax80
08-21-08, 12:36 pm
I have already put too much into this to quite. That is NOT an option and NOT in my vocabulary!!

That's right! Unleash the beast!

machineman
08-21-08, 4:33 pm
I get to go play in the cage tonight!! Can't wait to grapple for a couple of hours.

machineman
08-22-08, 8:19 am
Right now I am pretty sore (knees are at least) from grappling and double leg takedowns last night. I hope they feel better by this afternoon, otherwise I may not work out today. I don't want to beat up my knees more than they already are.

My next order will be some Flex, fo'sho!

shizz702
08-22-08, 9:07 am
Yea bro good thinking, if you're knees are already sore and you're body is telling you to take it easy, do so. Just rest up for now and take it from there. Definitely order some flex, I stand by it!

machineman
08-22-08, 9:25 am
I had noticed the last couple of workouts, it seemed that my knees were not really hurting, but I could feel the stress there. I would rather take a day off and not train than train and end up taking a month off...

I did get to do alot of instructing new students last night so it did save some on my knees. They just don't like the up/down and landing on them!!

machineman
08-22-08, 9:26 am
Besides....I can spend some 1 on 1 time with my 5 1/2 year old.....She likes to help me wash the Chrager, so maybe we will do that instead...

shizz702
08-22-08, 9:31 am
Besides....I can spend some 1 on 1 time with my 5 1/2 year old.....She likes to help me wash the Chrager, so maybe we will do that instead...

Right on man, training is important, but of course you can't neglect quality time with the family, so enjoy the time with your daughter.

How's your squat form? Have you watched videos on youtube for comparison? Make sure that you are pushing your knees out and not letting them cave in.

machineman
08-22-08, 12:43 pm
Right on man, training is important, but of course you can't neglect quality time with the family, so enjoy the time with your daughter.

How's your squat form? Have you watched videos on youtube for comparison? Make sure that you are pushing your knees out and not letting them cave in.

I think my form is pretty good on the squat. But, I will definitely keep this in mind and pay attention next time I am there. I squat in front of a mirror, so I can watch my knees and make sure they don't cave in.....I am pretty anal about form....escpecially where the knees are involved.

thanks for the tip, bro.....

silverbax80
08-22-08, 3:22 pm
Listen to your body man...as long as it's not telling you to take 2 weeks off and drink a keg of beer w/twinkies!

machineman
08-23-08, 11:50 am
hahahah...that's funny...I don't like beer or twinkies!!!!

machineman
08-23-08, 5:34 pm
bike--5 minute warm up

Squat
135 X 7
155 X 7
195 X 5
195 X 5
195 X 5

Bench (Smith...more on that later)
115 X 7
135 X 7
165 X 5
165 X 5
165 X 5

Dead Lift
245 X 5

ABS
3kg MB X 15 X 2
4kg MB X 15 X 2

Now.....I didn't want to use the smith machine for Bench, but th eguy using the bench press was fukin around and when I asked to work in, he was like, "na....you can have it when I am done..."fine...whatever......

I had another run in with the same guy as I was doing abs too....My ab work is more of a core workout....I use the decline bench, sit up perpendicular to the bench, swing arms out to side, throw the medicine ball down, catch it, return to center, move to other side and repeat action.....15 each side.....

As I am working on this, dude comes along and is standing right in my way racking db's....I just kept working and almost hit him....I got a bit pissy, but I don't really care.....he just pissed me off......

Good workout all in all though......next time I will just wait for the bench....but he took about 35 minutes to do 3 sets.....

shizz702
08-23-08, 5:39 pm
Good work bro! Progress is looking good and linear and that's just the way you want it. Don't worry about that lame on the bench, no worries on that. If he gives you any more shit perhaps you can report him to the manager cause people are supposed to share. Getting strong on them deadlifts too! You'll be up to 300+ in no time!

machineman
08-23-08, 10:07 pm
I would have liked to work on a little GNP with him......but I just went about my bidness.....thus the reason I went a bit heavier on bench than the +5 I was supposed to.....

I felt good today....really good.....tomorrow should be fun....open mat for 3 hours...all no holds barred cage stuff.....helping to get some fighters ready for upcoming bouts.

machineman
08-23-08, 10:08 pm
Good work bro! Progress is looking good and linear and that's just the way you want it. Don't worry about that lame on the bench, no worries on that. If he gives you any more shit perhaps you can report him to the manager cause people are supposed to share. Getting strong on them deadlifts too! You'll be up to 300+ in no time!

I think with only going for 1 X 5 on the deadlift, I could probably go heavier already but I want to just keep with the linear improvement for now.....I also don't want to get out of form either......

machineman
08-23-08, 10:25 pm
I also meant to mention that I took yesterday off due to my right knee being a bit sore from jujitsu on Thursday. I felt much better today as does my elbow (still hurts from an arm bar at our tourney in July). So, onward we shall go.......

So, some goals.....I would like my bench to be up to at 200 pounds, my deadlifts to be at 300 pounds, my squats to be at 300 pounds within the next 6 months. Do you guys think that is within reason?

silverbax80
08-24-08, 4:11 pm
bike--5 minute warm up

Squat
135 X 7
155 X 7
195 X 5
195 X 5
195 X 5

Bench (Smith...more on that later)
115 X 7
135 X 7
165 X 5
165 X 5
165 X 5

Dead Lift
245 X 5

ABS
3kg MB X 15 X 2
4kg MB X 15 X 2

Now.....I didn't want to use the smith machine for Bench, but th eguy using the bench press was fukin around and when I asked to work in, he was like, "na....you can have it when I am done..."fine...whatever......

I had another run in with the same guy as I was doing abs too....My ab work is more of a core workout....I use the decline bench, sit up perpendicular to the bench, swing arms out to side, throw the medicine ball down, catch it, return to center, move to other side and repeat action.....15 each side.....

As I am working on this, dude comes along and is standing right in my way racking db's....I just kept working and almost hit him....I got a bit pissy, but I don't really care.....he just pissed me off......

Good workout all in all though......next time I will just wait for the bench....but he took about 35 minutes to do 3 sets.....

Man, I hate dicks like that! I don't care if it's mildly inconvenient to me or what. If someone asks if they can work in w/me I'll always say yes (plus it's an opportunity to get a spotter).

machineman
08-24-08, 6:27 pm
I am not even going to sweat it....I trained for about 3 hours today....all ground work. I am going to be sore tomorrow!! But I love it. I have been getting great feedback from the guys at the club. They all tell me that I am looking good and they can't believe how much stronger I have gotten....I just keep telling them that they had better start hittin the iron cause I am and I will just keep on getting stronger!!

shizz702
08-24-08, 6:29 pm
So, some goals.....I would like my bench to be up to at 200 pounds, my deadlifts to be at 300 pounds, my squats to be at 300 pounds within the next 6 months. Do you guys think that is within reason?

Bro you're gonna be there in no time!

machineman
08-25-08, 6:04 pm
Bike 5 minute warm up

Squat
135 X 6
155 X 6
205 X 5
205 X 5
205 X 5

Military Press (Smith)
95 X 10
115 X 7
145 X 5
145 X 5
145 X 5

Rows
135 X 7
155 X 7
175 X 5
175 X 5
175 X 5

shizz702
08-25-08, 6:54 pm
Alright brother!

See that weight is still steadily going up! You're getting strong bro!

How you feeling and how do you like the program so far?

machineman
08-25-08, 7:28 pm
I feel pretty good! Even after rolling for 3 hours yesterday. I think I am going to use the same weight for squats on Wednesday.....Should I keep at one weight for 1 or 2 workouts then add or should I try to add weight every time? I am at the point that I don't want to sacrifice form for weight.........

I am having fun with this program....I know people look at me weird when I say that, but like I have said before...cutting weight for 11 months was pure hell for me.

shizz702
08-25-08, 8:01 pm
I feel pretty good! Even after rolling for 3 hours yesterday. I think I am going to use the same weight for squats on Wednesday.....Should I keep at one weight for 1 or 2 workouts then add or should I try to add weight every time? I am at the point that I don't want to sacrifice form for weight.........

I am having fun with this program....I know people look at me weird when I say that, but like I have said before...cutting weight for 11 months was pure hell for me.

The protocol of the program is to continue to add 5 lbs every workout until you stall, but if you feel the need to stay with a certain weight to maintain form by all means stick with it. Shoot for at least 5 lbs a week.

Glad you're liking it bro and glad you're feeling good. Keep it going!

machineman
08-26-08, 1:01 pm
I am going to take the mrs to a baseball game tonight. I should go to Jujitsu but I need to spend some time with her before we get swamped at work. I will be at Jits class on Wednesday and back in the gym on Thursday....it will also give my knees a break.

I am still struggling to eat as much as I should, but it is getting a bit easier. I am also up to 225#....not bad!!

mcbeast
08-26-08, 1:17 pm
Yeah man,wifey needs lovin too! They gym aint goin anywhere.Have fun at the game,and well see some more madness thursday!

machineman
08-26-08, 5:38 pm
Yeah man,wifey needs lovin too! They gym aint goin anywhere.Have fun at the game,and well see some more madness thursday!

fo'sho......I guess for as "madness" as my newb ass gets!!!!

machineman
08-28-08, 5:03 am
At class last night, it felt like someone punched my lower back right above my left ass cheek.....it is sore this morning...like maybe I strained something. I will go to the gym tonight and see how things go. It still feels like a knot this morning, but I am hoping it will go away throughout the day.....

Now for my ranting....if you don't want to read it....stop here!!!!!!!

So, my wife has been bitching about how I haven't worked a full 50 hour work week all summer. I got sick of listening to it and told her I would not be coming home early no matter what. We have been slow waiting for a new job to start, so I have been doing some side work on company time (my boss is cool with it) to take up my 8 hours. Yesterday, I get a call at 12:30 (right after lunch) and she asks if I can come home.....I said "No, we have already gone over this". Well, she wanted me to come home because I wasn't really doing anything anyway. So, I go home (pissed) and we proceed to get in another argument....We seem to be having alot of those lately. She wanted me to come home so she could take a nap.....Her day starts at 6:30am with getting my 5 year old up and ready for Kindergarten.....then she has the twins the rest of the day.....I understand full well that it is not easy. But I told her that this is what she signed up for when we decided to have kids. She sees my 8-10 work day as an all day break from the kids.....which it is, but I still have things I have to get done, so it's not like I am out playing for 8-10 hours....

What do I have to do to get some respect?? I have held the same job since I was 19.....That means I have been in the same shop doing the same job for 14 years.....and I have been with her for 15. I help put her through college. How much more do I have to do? Am I not living up to what is expected of me? Am I failing as a father and husband? Someone needs to find the service manual cause I think it may be time for some maintenance........

Fuking demons.....and my ass hurts.....it better get better by this afternoon.....either way, something will be sore tomorrow......

RANT OVER.

Themostocles
08-28-08, 6:58 am
At class last night, it felt like someone punched my lower back right above my left ass cheek.....it is sore this morning...like maybe I strained something. I will go to the gym tonight and see how things go. It still feels like a knot this morning, but I am hoping it will go away throughout the day.....

Now for my ranting....if you don't want to read it....stop here!!!!!!!

So, my wife has been bitching about how I haven't worked a full 50 hour work week all summer. I got sick of listening to it and told her I would not be coming home early no matter what. We have been slow waiting for a new job to start, so I have been doing some side work on company time (my boss is cool with it) to take up my 8 hours. Yesterday, I get a call at 12:30 (right after lunch) and she asks if I can come home.....I said "No, we have already gone over this". Well, she wanted me to come home because I wasn't really doing anything anyway. So, I go home (pissed) and we proceed to get in another argument....We seem to be having alot of those lately. She wanted me to come home so she could take a nap.....Her day starts at 6:30am with getting my 5 year old up and ready for Kindergarten.....then she has the twins the rest of the day.....I understand full well that it is not easy. But I told her that this is what she signed up for when we decided to have kids. She sees my 8-10 work day as an all day break from the kids.....which it is, but I still have things I have to get done, so it's not like I am out playing for 8-10 hours....

What do I have to do to get some respect?? I have held the same job since I was 19.....That means I have been in the same shop doing the same job for 14 years.....and I have been with her for 15. I help put her through college. How much more do I have to do? Am I not living up to what is expected of me? Am I failing as a father and husband? Someone needs to find the service manual cause I think it may be time for some maintenance........

Fuking demons.....and my ass hurts.....it better get better by this afternoon.....either way, something will be sore tomorrow......

RANT OVER.

You are both justified in your bitching from what I am reading. I caught the same crap from my ex-wife when she stayed home. She wanted to complain that I was doing anything when I was the only source of income. But there is alot of stress to staying home also. It is very stressful not having and 'real' adult interaction in your day. No co-workers to shoot the shit with, or getting out of the house without hauling kids around everywhere. She has no alone time. She also needs to understand the stress on you and the like. You have certain duties and obligations you have to fill that come with a burden of stress also. Does she ever get out of the house by herself? A girls night out or anything? On a side note lol, good lifting going on in here. T.

machineman
08-28-08, 11:48 am
I give her every opportunity I can to get out by herself. And she does go out with her friends. I can understand her frustration, but I can only do so much....

The shit hit the fan at work today so now the hours are going to go through the roof.....probably going to start working in the neighborhood of 80 hours a week. I an going to get to the gym no matter what.....even if I have to get a month by month pass to the 24 hour gym...I will post up details later tonight....I will probably not get out of here until around 6 or so......makes for a long day when I get up at 3:30 am.

Themostocles
08-28-08, 11:50 am
Sorry about work man, sucks. Ive been there and kills your w/o's and life. And was just asking about the situation. Sorry if I offended. -T.

machineman
08-28-08, 12:13 pm
no offense, bro!! I just get fed up and since I don't hang out with many people, I just need to vent somtimes!! That is why I put up the disclaimer.......

I don't know if I will be able to do squats today or not.....Any suggestions on what to do if squats don't work out due to the muscle tightness from yesterday?

Themostocles
08-28-08, 12:33 pm
no offense, bro!! I just get fed up and since I don't hang out with many people, I just need to vent somtimes!! That is why I put up the disclaimer.......

I don't know if I will be able to do squats today or not.....Any suggestions on what to do if squats don't work out due to the muscle tightness from yesterday?

Hard to read subtext sometimes. STDL, GMs, Lunges, stepups, machine work...

machineman
08-28-08, 12:36 pm
I will def give the squats a shot, but if not....I will take you suggestions. thanks......now I just have to get more focued on eating what I need and eating when I need.....yesterday was horrible for me as far as food. Not what I ate, but what I didn't eat......

I think my goal for the next week is going to get my meals in like I should...I don't do a good enough job with it, so there is much room for improvement here.....probably why I have only gained 5 pounds so far on this journey.......

machineman
08-28-08, 6:12 pm
Woohoo....Work id finally done for the day....which started at 3:30am this morning.....I will get home, change, get my NO drink in and head off for some brutality!! post up some numbers later....

machineman
08-28-08, 9:41 pm
Sooooo....too many things in my head today so I had to throw down a little abuse tonight...not really what I was supposed to work on, but damn did it feel good.....I am gonna pay tomorrow!!!!!!!

Standing Curl (bar)
20 X 10
40 X 10
60 X 5
60 X 5
60 X 5

Cable Curl

drop set from 50 to 30 X 10 each

Standing Tri Press (bar)
20 X 10
40 X 10
60 X 5
60 X 5
60 X 5

tri push down (cable)

50 to 10 X 10 drop set

Cable Cross over
30 X 10
40 X 10
50 X 5
50 X 5
50 X 5

right to 10 dips-10pull ups-10 dips-10 pull ups......

then the Y closed.....I don't usually go later in the evening so I forget that it closes at 9pm.....

Wheels tomorrow at a different gym with a buddy of mine......

mcbeast
08-28-08, 9:46 pm
Good work.Enjoy workin the wheels

machineman
08-28-08, 9:52 pm
For sure.....I have to really work them tomorrow for NOT doing it today!! shizz is about to beat me from LV!!

machineman
08-28-08, 9:53 pm
Start working 12's tomorrow.....So, off to bed.....damn.....3am is gonna be here WAY too soon...we are working from 4am-4:30pm....

shizz702
08-28-08, 10:00 pm
Start working 12's tomorrow.....So, off to bed.....damn.....3am is gonna be here WAY too soon...we are working from 4am-4:30pm....

I hear that bro, I work 10's so I can somewhat relate. Rest up and get back to it tomorrow!

Themostocles
08-28-08, 11:47 pm
I hear that bro, I work 10's so I can somewhat relate. Rest up and get back to it tomorrow!

x2, with a short 6th day. Blows ass. -T.

machineman
08-29-08, 4:14 am
yeah....unfortunately I will be working all weekends as well!! I don't have to work Monday so that is a plus.....But I figure my next day off will be sometime in November....probably Thanksgiving.....

machineman
08-29-08, 4:21 am
I am going to start tracking my food again....I think I am missing something?? not sure.....

Breakfast this morning

3am

1 performance multi
7 egg whites
1 egg
1 cup whole grain oats
12 oz fat free skim milk

Themostocles
08-29-08, 4:25 am
yeah....unfortunately I will be working all weekends as well!! I don't have to work Monday so that is a plus.....But I figure my next day off will be sometime in November....probably Thanksgiving.....

What do you do? -T.

machineman
08-29-08, 4:50 am
tool and die

Product Development--Valvetrain

We are currently working on a few projcets for the European auto co.'s

We just finished one for Ford....should be a nice engine...if you like deisels.

I am in charge of all die designs, 3d machining, 3 and 4 axis turning.....pretty much whatever needs done, I am 3rd from the top so I get to do alot of delegating but I also make it a point to do as much work if not more than the other guys.....

Themostocles
08-29-08, 5:44 am
tool and die

Product Development--Valvetrain

We are currently working on a few projcets for the European auto co.'s

We just finished one for Ford....should be a nice engine...if you like deisels.

I am in charge of all die designs, 3d machining, 3 and 4 axis turning.....pretty much whatever needs done, I am 3rd from the top so I get to do alot of delegating but I also make it a point to do as much work if not more than the other guys.....

I do 3d fabrication also. 6axis tube lasers. Do the programming, running, and some of the maintence. -T.

machineman
08-29-08, 6:16 am
cool!!! How is business for you guys?

meal #2

8 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
16oz water

Themostocles
08-29-08, 6:27 am
cool!!! How is business for you guys?

meal #2

8 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
16oz water

My ass is so swamped it isn't even funny lol. We got more demand than we can handle, salespeople are having to turn customers away right now. It doesn't help that we are short handed either, which is due to management having their heads up their asses. -T.

machineman
08-29-08, 10:28 am
ohhhh....the management heads in asses group....we have one of those. They just let our IT person go and we are already having issues!! No surprise there. They want us to develop parts that would normally take us 12-16 weeks in 6 weeks....then they will piss and moan about the o.t.

Meal #3

Beef Stirfry (steak, carrots, beans, green peppers)
Long Grain Wild Rice (1 cup)

machineman
08-29-08, 1:47 pm
CHOW TIME!!!!!

more stirfry (beef and chicken this time)
wild rice

machineman
08-29-08, 3:30 pm
Snack

8oz grilled pork chop
bottle water #6

shizz702
08-29-08, 3:31 pm
Damn you're eating good bro!

machineman
08-29-08, 3:32 pm
I is fukin hungry today....

machineman
08-29-08, 4:00 pm
wheelz tonight..we will see how that goes....

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
08-29-08, 4:22 pm
niceee def interested to see how the stumps work for ya....im subbed for this one

shizz702
08-29-08, 5:15 pm
wheelz tonight..we will see how that goes....

wheels? are you still doing the same routine or are you changing it?

machineman
08-30-08, 4:01 am
i knew you were going to ask.....I am worked out at a different place last night. Just something a bit different.

5 minute warm up treadmill

Ab work

Leg Press
6 plates X 12
8 plate X 110
10 plates X 5
10 X 5
10 X 5

Bench
135 X 7
155 X 7
175 X 5
175 X 5
175 X 5

Hammer Deads (first time I done these)
70 X 10
90 X 10
125 X 5
125 X 5
125 X 5

machineman
08-30-08, 7:12 am
I was talking to my buddy on the phone while I was typing.....trying to do 2 things at once!! I couldn't figure out how to edit it, so I had to leave it.....

machineman
08-31-08, 7:37 am
I will be finishing up at work by about 10am.....of to get some Pak and creatine......and then off for the weekend with the family. Probably will do some wakeboarding and skiing today and tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend....I know I will after I get the hell outta here!!

machineman
09-01-08, 9:36 pm
Soo....we just got home after a couple days with my parents....the kids had a great time as did the mrs and I. Got to do a little skiing, wakeboarding and tubing...the 5 yr old went tubing and tried skiing for the first time! She didn't make it, but at least she tried.

I will be back at this tomorrow. No more forays into other things....just straight ahead for the time being. I am going to start hammering the iron even more....I want more and I will take what I want.....Failure is not an option....quitting is not in my vocabulary.....

There is a line from a song that I listen to that goes " the beatings will continue until moral improves...." for me that means that I will continue to push, as hard as I can, to meet the goals I have set for myself.....I got a nice recharge on the batteries this weekend....now it's time to fuck some shit up!!

Themostocles
09-02-08, 12:43 am
Sounds like a great weekend, and even better since the iron is calling your name lol. There is a song I know that reminds me of yours, only its 'if there is a whip there is a way' lol. -T.

machineman
09-02-08, 6:37 am
The siren song of the iron is full volume right now but I have to tone it down as it will be about 12 hours before I can deal death to the demons once again.....

shizz702
09-02-08, 7:24 am
The siren song of the iron is full volume right now but I have to tone it down as it will be about 12 hours before I can deal death to the demons once again.....

lol well said bro

machineman
09-02-08, 5:53 pm
warm up 5 minute bike

ab crunches
100 X 10
130 X 5
130 X 5
130 X 5

Squat
135 X 7
185 X 7
225 X 5
225 X 5 (not atg but at least parallel)
225 X 5 (not atg but at least parallel)

Bench
135 X 10
165 X 5 (felt sharp pain in left side of neck)
I took a 5 minute break after this....tried again but could not get 1 rep. I don't know exactly what happened, but I had a horrendous headache after this. My neck doesn't hurt (as of right now) but I still have a raging head ache. I will be taking some Excedrine and hitting the rack early.

Today started out so well....only to end up as shit.....very disappointed to say the least.....hopefully Thursday will be better.......

shizz702
09-02-08, 6:47 pm
Hey you still did good bro. Wonder what the deal is with the pain from benching. For now just rest up and get back to it Thursday, and take it from there. You did the right thing, in the event of any kind of unwanted pain or potential injury let it go and don't make matters worse.

machineman
09-02-08, 9:10 pm
My head is till pounding, but I don't feel like I am going to puke anymore. I took a nap as soon as I got home and showered after the gym......

I cooked all my food tonight for tomorrow, so I am going to bed soon.....I will be back at it on Thursday for sure.

Maybe I just tried to go too heavy too soon....I don't know. I just want to start pushing myself a bit more. Maybe too much.......

Food for tomorrow:

2 bone-in chicken breast
3 bone-in chicken legs
4 servings brown rice
2-5oz apple marinated pork chops
2-5oz bbq marinated pork chops

shizz702
09-02-08, 9:19 pm
That looks like it's gonna be some good eating!

machineman
09-02-08, 9:24 pm
fo'sho....oh yea...the chicken has a pepper crust and bbq sauce....

hmmmm.....can't wait for tomorrow!!

Themostocles
09-02-08, 11:49 pm
I've had this. Rub icyhot or similar product on the area and do slow gentle stretches. Will get it back in order fast. -T.

machineman
09-03-08, 3:46 am
thanks, T. It does not feel like a muscle or anything. I have full range of motion but I still have the headache this morning.....it sucks...it's too damned early to be at work, much less awake.......another day another dollar.

Themostocles
09-03-08, 3:52 am
The icyhot and stretching isn't for the muscle, it helps increase blood flow. Stress headaches and migraine pain are caused by pressure on the brain. -T.

machineman
09-03-08, 5:48 am
I will have to pick some up today..

meal 1 3am
6 egg white
2 egss
1 cup oats
5 oz milk (regular, skim was gone...)

Pak 30 minutes later (taken as soon as I got to work)

meal 2 6am
10 oz apple marinated pork chops
1 cup brown rice

Thrawn
09-03-08, 6:30 am
Dont feel too bad about that workout, brother. You got some pretty decent work done. Offdays and small inconveniences will happen. Take those speedbumps and learn from them. I would like to suggest two things tho:
- try to lower the weight on squats and go ass to the ground. Parallel is good, lower is better.
- do not forget how taxing squats are for the body. Doing some serious squatting will take a big toll and doing another big thing like benchpress after that is heavy duty. If you are not used to that kind of training, take your time to work up to that kind of workload.

I think your headache originates from overexertion/forcing yourself without being prepared (dont know how to explain this better but maybe this way: i suspect you unracked the weight without being FULLY ready to do it, so you had to really power your reps). You tried too hard with the tension in your body misstimed. It has never happened to me so far, but i heard it can happen. I might be wrong ofcourse, just thinking along. You appear to be VERY eager to do this. That is good, but can also work a bit against you.

machineman
09-03-08, 7:29 am
Dont feel too bad about that workout, brother. You got some pretty decent work done. Offdays and small inconveniences will happen. Take those speedbumps and learn from them. I would like to suggest two things tho:
- try to lower the weight on squats and go ass to the ground. Parallel is good, lower is better.
- do not forget how taxing squats are for the body. Doing some serious squatting will take a big toll and doing another big thing like benchpress after that is heavy duty. If you are not used to that kind of training, take your time to work up to that kind of workload.

I think your headache originates from overexertion/forcing yourself without being prepared (dont know how to explain this better but maybe this way: i suspect you unracked the weight without being FULLY ready to do it, so you had to really power your reps). You tried too hard with the tension in your body misstimed. It has never happened to me so far, but i heard it can happen. I might be wrong ofcourse, just thinking along. You appear to be VERY eager to do this. That is good, but can also work a bit against you.

You could be right about the over eagerness (is that a word?). I know I have a tendency to push too hard too fast. I will take it down a notch tomorrow and see how the workout goes.....

Thrawn
09-03-08, 7:46 am
You could be right about the over eagerness (is that a word?). I know I have a tendency to push too hard too fast. I will take it down a notch tomorrow and see how the workout goes.....

You might not have to take it down a notch, as long as you are PREPARED to do it. Have you breathing in check, have the proper tension in your body. Be CERTAIN you are comfortable in your position. THEN go for it. If you wanna push too fast too hard, you tend to forget one of those points and might head for trouble.
Set it up, check the necessary things, focus, unrack, UNLEASH =))

machineman
09-03-08, 8:03 am
You might not have to take it down a notch, as long as you are PREPARED to do it. Have you breathing in check, have the proper tension in your body. Be CERTAIN you are comfortable in your position. THEN go for it. If you wanna push too fast too hard, you tend to forget one of those points and might head for trouble.
Set it up, check the necessary things, focus, unrack, UNLEASH =))

I would rather take it down a notch and keep training than get hurt and have to stop.....

snack:
8:15
8 oz fat free peach yogurt

shizz702
09-03-08, 8:03 am
I agree with what thrawn is saying bro, the bench press is one of those movements that takes some mental prep, since you're lifting the weight overhead in a vunerable position. Just take it easy and psyche yourself up some next time.

Some tips on the bench:

lower the bar at sternum level (slightly below chest)

flex lats

tuck in elbows

contract your pecs

all of the above have really seemed to help my bench technique

Thrawn
09-03-08, 8:14 am
I would rather take it down a notch and keep training than get hurt and have to stop.....

snack:
8:15
8 oz fat free peach yogurt

Taking it down a notch is an option. I did not say or try to suggest you went beyond your limits. Maybe that weight you tried was well in reach. But if you are not prepared well, or rush it, it will bite you back. Example for me: frontsquats. I can do them pretty well, but if i do NOT prepare myself mentally for them, i suck at them. I cant get depth then and will lean too much forward. Mentally prepping myself and keeping all things tight and i am good to go.

Themostocles
09-03-08, 8:24 am
I get myself into postion for the lift, and then psych myself up for the lift. Get the mind and body ready to go. -T.

shizz702
09-03-08, 8:33 am
There's a huge mental aspect in training and (not saying you did this, just mentioning) if your mind is not in a positive state prior to a big lift, chance are you will fail it. Whenever I get ready for big lift, I'll turn on a good pump song, and get into the zone. I've found I pretty much know the second I unrack the bar whether or not I'm gonna make it, as long as your mind is with you 100% on it you're good to go. All doubt and self defeating thoughts must be kicked out!

machineman
09-03-08, 9:27 am
thanks for all the tips.....it is something I will definitely pay attention to and incorporate.

After thinking on it some this morning, I think that part of it was not being mentally prepared and also I think I may have pushed my head into the bench trying to get the weight moving....Bad form and not mentally ready is what I think contributed to this....live and learn, I guess......

Themostocles
09-03-08, 9:51 am
thanks for all the tips.....it is something I will definitely pay attention to and incorporate.

After thinking on it some this morning, I think that part of it was not being mentally prepared and also I think I may have pushed my head into the bench trying to get the weight moving....Bad form and not mentally ready is what I think contributed to this....live and learn, I guess......

Out of curiosity, do you bench like a BB or a PL? -T.

machineman
09-03-08, 10:44 am
Not sure but here is how I do it....

Once I get under the bar, I get my shoulder blades under me so I get the natural arch in my back. Once I unrack the weight, I try to concentrate on not moving my back and not getting my back flat on the bench....does that make sense? I do not use my legs to try to drive the bar either....I try to concentrate the movement with the chest and arms....

machineman
09-03-08, 10:45 am
Lunch

1 cup brown rice
2 5oz bbq pork chops
3rd 20oz bottle h2o
8 oz fat free Key Lime Pie Yogurt

machineman
09-03-08, 12:17 pm
8 oz peach yogurt (same as earlier!!)

machineman
09-03-08, 7:27 pm
3:30pm

1 large bone in chicken breat
1 medium chicken leg
1 cup brown rice

6pm

10oz bacon wrapped Filet
Large salad (tomatoes, egg white, sunflower meats, ranch dressing)
large sweet potato w/butter
8oz milk

weights tomorrow

Jujitsu on Friday

shizz702
09-03-08, 7:50 pm
Damn good eating! Love that bacon wrapped filet! Those are always good!

machineman
09-03-08, 8:00 pm
better add:

fat free ice cream sandwich
2 granola and c. chip bars

I think I will have a couple cups of yogurt later, then off to bed by 9-9:15pm....

machineman
09-04-08, 9:24 am
3am

1 1/2 Cups Oats
8oz skim milk
6 egg whites
2 eggs

6am

feta and spinach chicken brat
1 piece whole grain wheat bread

9am
another brat as above
bread as above
peach yogurt (fat free)

machineman
09-04-08, 1:08 pm
lunch

2 chicken brats
2 pieces of whole grain bread
yogurt

1:30

chicken breat (bone in)
chicken leg (bone in)
1 cup brown rice
bbq sauce on chicken

machineman
09-04-08, 3:34 pm
chicken brat (thankfully they are gone!!)
whole grain bread
chicken leg
20 oz h2o (6th for the day)

machineman
09-05-08, 3:22 am
I have no idea what to do now.....I went to the gym last night, rode 5 minutes on the bike and decided to do some ab work....no weight, just laying on my side proped up on my elbow, I would raise my hips as far off the floor as possible....lower to the floor and repeat...I was going for 3 sets, 20 reps. On the 3rd set, at 10 reps, the whole neck tightness/migraine hit again......This time was worse than last....I could barely drive the 5 minutes to my house. The thing that made it worse was my 5 year old was with me......It was so bad that I got home, showered, took 2 Vic's and went to bed....I can still feel the headache this morning, but not as bad as last night. I am already at the shop, so I will take Tylenol throught the day today......It still does not feel like a muscle issue as I have lost zero range of motion and there is no stiffness at all.....

I don't know if this is/could be supp related? The only time this has ever happened was on the 2 days that I took a supp 30-45 minutes before heading to the gym.....I am going to call my chiro today and get an appointment and see if there may be an alignment issue or what. Other than that, I have no idea what is going on.....maybe some sort of impingement.....

Themostocles
09-05-08, 3:25 am
That sucks bro, hope it starts to feel better. Take it easy and don't push it. -T.

Thrawn
09-05-08, 3:25 am
Damn, brother. That sucks. Does not sound like a supp related problem to me. It might be a stressed muscle (they can swell up a bi) pinching on a nerve or something. Or misaligment, like you said.
Get it checked out, brother!

machineman
09-05-08, 3:43 am
Thanks guys.....I am not screwing around with this. I have missed 2 days in the gym and now will miss 2 day of Jujitsu training.....I cannot have that.

the demons are in full force now........

Thrawn
09-05-08, 3:46 am
Just keep calm and get it checked out.
Keep us updated on what appears to be wrong, Machineman!

machineman
09-05-08, 4:51 am
I will.....just hate the idea of not being able to train in anything for awhile....pisses me off to no end....not to mention it gives the voices in my head more ammo....and those that are close to me more ammo as they don't understand why I am training and eating like I am......

frustrating.....very frustrating.....

machineman
09-05-08, 9:03 am
doctor appt this afternoon....I will post up after tolet you know what the deal is....but knowing this guy, I am sure it will involve not training for a period of weeks......

machineman
09-05-08, 5:51 pm
The doc says it is some pinched bundles....nothing real serious but there is all sorts of crookedness going on in my neck and back. It will take a week or two to get everything squared away and straight again. He said most likely it came mostly from Martial Arts...especially the Judo and getting thrown a lot. So, at least 1 week off........so.....I will see ya'll in about a week with an update to this journey. Hopefully this will be the only derailment of this train.

machineman
09-05-08, 7:59 pm
hey guys....should I still continue eating as I have been? or should I back off a little bit since I will not be working out? The last thing I want to do is start putting on weight due to just eating.....let me know what you think.

shizz702
09-05-08, 8:02 pm
hey guys....should I still continue eating as I have been? or should I back off a little bit since I will not be working out? The last thing I want to do is start putting on weight due to just eating.....let me know what you think.

still eat clean and good, but not as much since you wont be burning the cals off in the gym or on the mat. Just eat clean and rest up for now. Look at this time as an opprotunity to rest up and prepare to hit it even harder next time!

machineman
09-05-08, 8:10 pm
that is exactly what I was thinking. we are back to working 6 12's and 5-8 hours on Sunday. I definitely could use the rest period. I also want to make certain that this doesn't flare up again. Do you think I should add some neck exercises to add some muscle to get and keep it stronger?

shizz702
09-05-08, 8:19 pm
that is exactly what I was thinking. we are back to working 6 12's and 5-8 hours on Sunday. I definitely could use the rest period. I also want to make certain that this doesn't flare up again. Do you think I should add some neck exercises to add some muscle to get and keep it stronger?

6 12's?! And 5-8 hours on Sunday?! Dude do you ever get a day off?! They must pay you guys a lot of overtime! At least business must be good for you guys then. Shit for the most part from what I see nobody pays overtime anymore cause times are so hard right now.

shizz702
09-05-08, 8:21 pm
On the neck issue check out those links I sent you and see what they recommend. Maybe stretch it out every so often and what not, and if you want throw in an accessory exercise for the neck after each workout. You can buy a neck harness like this:http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Lifting-Head-Harness-Nylon/dp/B0007A4F7W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1220661143&sr=8-1
and do neck curls with it.

machineman
09-05-08, 9:38 pm
6 12's?! And 5-8 hours on Sunday?! Dude do you ever get a day off?! They must pay you guys a lot of overtime! At least business must be good for you guys then. Shit for the most part from what I see nobody pays overtime anymore cause times are so hard right now.

Usually at this time of the year...I get Thanksgiving day off and Christmas day off. We start about the first or second week in Sept and work like this til March of the next year. It is just the way the Auto market works with new engine platforms. It's nice cause it makes for nice Christmas time....but I am usually draggin ass. That is why I want to be in the best shape possible, to make these long days not so taxing. I usually will be on my feet for at least 10 out of a 12 hour day.

machineman
09-05-08, 9:39 pm
overtime is paid at 1.5X there is no 2X for Sundays......Last year I worked almost 3800 hours. I won't come close to that this year, but I did get to spend more time with the family this summer....so it made for a nice trade off.

machineman
09-05-08, 9:48 pm
Since I am working more, it also means I will be able to add a protein supp...should I opt for the real gains? or do you think there is something else I should get? I know I will also be getting some Flex for sure....

Thrawn
09-06-08, 5:46 am
Yeah, like i suspected. Something getting pinched. Good things is that can be straightened out. Just takes a bit of time.
Rest up, eat clean, keep stretching your body. Realgains is a good choice. Especially if you like to take a late night shake.

machineman
09-06-08, 7:10 am
I was 6'3" and 265....do you think I liked late night food??lol

I am still eating but I will keep it much cleaner since I will be off for a bit....real gains to come for sure!!

Thrawn
09-06-08, 7:19 am
I was 6'3" and 265....do you think I liked late night food??lol

I am still eating but I will keep it much cleaner since I will be off for a bit....real gains to come for sure!!

Lol =)
Just try to take your time-out as a positive thing. Get rested up, eat healthy and clean. Get your stretching done. You will be up and running in no time at all again.
Little speedbumps happen. Nothing to worry about. Although they can be irritating as hell and frustrating to no end.

machineman
09-06-08, 7:43 am
for sure... I have another round at the chiro in about 40 minutes. I have to leave work here in a few to make the appt then back here I come!! the joys of making mama corp some $$$$$.

machineman
09-07-08, 5:21 am
Had another issue yesterday afternoon. This was nowhere near what the other episodes were....Advil took care of it. I have to be very cautious in how I move around the shop and what angles I put myself in. Overall, I feel much better after my sessions with the chiro.....

I am backing off the diet just a touch so I am not putting on empty mass....I am still eating clean, just not as much. I am laying off the rice, pasta and oats but am still eating the chicken, steak and pork and veggies.....Hopefully I can get this resolved and be cleared to start training again in a week or so.....I already miss not being able to go to the gym and help the fighters train, but I think it may have been my bodies way of getting me to take a break!!

Thrawn
09-07-08, 2:30 pm
Had another issue yesterday afternoon. This was nowhere near what the other episodes were....Advil took care of it. I have to be very cautious in how I move around the shop and what angles I put myself in. Overall, I feel much better after my sessions with the chiro.....

I am backing off the diet just a touch so I am not putting on empty mass....I am still eating clean, just not as much. I am laying off the rice, pasta and oats but am still eating the chicken, steak and pork and veggies.....Hopefully I can get this resolved and be cleared to start training again in a week or so.....I already miss not being able to go to the gym and help the fighters train, but I think it may have been my bodies way of getting me to take a break!!

Sounds good on the diet. You will be only having some one or two weeks offtime, so i wouldnt worry too much about changing up the diet. Just clean it up a bit. Nothing more.
Yeah, you might be right, brother. Our bodies do have their ways to put a break on it sometimes.

machineman
09-07-08, 3:24 pm
while I will make the most of the time off, it still pisses me off.....I mean, I am just sitting here, doing nothing..I hate it....I want to do something....anything...mostly I want to go move some weight....but I can't and I fvkn hate it......

shizz702
09-07-08, 6:36 pm
Just keep taking it easy til your ready to train again bro. And yea definitely get some real gains. Try the chocolate, that's my favorite.

Themostocles
09-07-08, 11:21 pm
Just take it easy, it could be worse. Good for the body to rest occassionaly. -T.

machineman
09-08-08, 3:29 am
I've always said that I will rest enough when I am dead!!lol

Themostocles
09-08-08, 3:34 am
I've always said that I will rest enough when I am dead!!lol

I am pretty sure death is catabolic, and therefor bad lol. -T.

Thrawn
09-08-08, 4:38 am
I am pretty sure death is catabolic, and therefor bad lol. -T.

ROFL =))

Dont stress, machineman. One or two weeks of is small potatoes. I understand wanting to lift almost anything =)) but keep yourself relaxed. Do yourself a favor and get your stretching done. That will keep you a bit safer from these kind of injuries.

machineman
09-08-08, 5:19 am
I think I will wait until later this week to start stretching or anything....I am still not quite sure what sets this off, but there was another minor episode on Sunday.....this was nothing strenuous.....it is now where tylenol or some such thing will take it away, but there is still nothing I can point to that triggers it.

machineman
09-09-08, 5:23 pm
just an update.....no headaches today.....so that is good. I have been feeling better so I hope that later this week or by early next week I can be back at it....looking forward to it...

shizz702
09-09-08, 6:15 pm
Glad to hear you're feeling better bro. Looking foward to seeing you get back in the gym.

machineman
09-09-08, 7:57 pm
Glad to hear you're feeling better bro. Looking foward to seeing you get back in the gym.

I am like a junkie that needs a fix.....I used mowing the lawn as a 45 min mini cardio session!!

machineman
09-09-08, 8:08 pm
Diet has been pretty good. I usually have chicken beef and pork at work and then have dinner with the family. Tonight was Shepards Pie with fresh, homemade peach cobbler!!!!!!

Probably not the greatest, but at least it has beef, veggies, potatoes and tomatoes.....pretty good, too.

shizz702
09-09-08, 8:13 pm
I am like a junkie that needs a fix.....I used mowing the lawn as a 45 min mini cardio session!!

O yea the ol' iron bug has bitten you but good bro lol!

Thrawn
09-10-08, 4:10 am
Good to hear that your problems seem to subside. Just a bit more time and then its ON again, brother!!

machineman
09-10-08, 4:14 am
I hope so...I have to meet with the chiro tonight to go over the xrays and see what he says for a timeline.....

Thrawn
09-10-08, 4:15 am
I hope so...I have to meet with the chiro tonight to go over the xrays and see what he says for a timeline.....

Remember; it is all for the greater good. Take these speedbumps in stride and with the chin up. Better taking care of it now then pay for it later.

Themostocles
09-10-08, 4:18 am
Remember; it is all for the greater good. Take these speedbumps in stride and with the chin up. Better taking care of it now then pay for it later.

x2. Better two weeks now, than two months later. -T.

machineman
09-10-08, 4:21 am
I agree.....I am just very impatient. It is usually full go with me. I have a hard time dialing down the intesity, so when things like this happen, it just makes it worse. I may ask if I can do some cardio, that way I am at least doing something....

Thrawn
09-10-08, 4:23 am
I agree.....I am just very impatient. It is usually full go with me. I have a hard time dialing down the intesity, so when things like this happen, it just makes it worse. I may ask if I can do some cardio, that way I am at least doing something....

Sure, brother, i understand. I am NO different. But i always remember myself that i have to respect my injuries, cause they sure as hell will not respect me when i push it too far.

Themostocles
09-10-08, 4:27 am

LOL, I can't lecture. After my surgery I was breaking his instructions 3 days out. But I also know my body pretty well, and knew how to avoid the afflicted area. But with it being in the neck, that is hard to avoid antagonizing. Work on your car or motorcycle or something distracting like that? -T.

machineman
09-10-08, 4:33 am
Car is a lease and I sold my track bike a month ago!!!!

Maybe the lawn will need cut again tonight....or I will just start mowing the neighbors!!

Themostocles
09-10-08, 4:34 am
Car is a lease and I sold my track bike a month ago!!!!

Maybe the lawn will need cut again tonight....or I will just start mowing the neighbors!!

Damn, it was my best idea lol. -T.

machineman
09-10-08, 4:36 am
It's all good.....the mrs says I need to work on my patience anyway.

Themostocles
09-10-08, 4:38 am
It's all good.....the mrs says I need to work on my patience anyway.

Ya, well, a woman would say that lol. But I am starting to think I am just a project for women to work on, and apparently I need alot of work. -T.

machineman
09-10-08, 5:30 am
Ya, well, a woman would say that lol. But I am starting to think I am just a project for women to work on, and apparently I need alot of work. -T.

so true, bro!!

machineman
09-11-08, 3:23 am
I had my consult with the chiro last night. It went alright. It looks as if I will be out for a few weeks. If you look at the way the spine curves from the tail bone to the base of the neck, there are curves that are supposed to be present. In the neck area, it is supposed to look like an elongated "c". Well, mine is dead straight. This closes off the gaps for the nerves coming off the spine. It is this closing that is causing the nerve issues.

He told me I could do lower body exercises and eliptical training....So, what should I do now? Should I switch over to a cut and just work cardio or just do some cardio to keep in shape until I can start back on this journey? What do you guys think?

Themostocles
09-11-08, 3:32 am
Depends on your goal... You could do a mini-cut and go super clean for a few weeks and go crazy on cardio; and atleast wear yourself out. I know I work harder with a goal, and since you can't work on your current goals, you might as well come up with a set of goals you can work on. -T.

Thrawn
09-11-08, 4:34 am
Depends on your goal... You could do a mini-cut and go super clean for a few weeks and go crazy on cardio; and atleast wear yourself out. I know I work harder with a goal, and since you can't work on your current goals, you might as well come up with a set of goals you can work on. -T.

X2. You will have to give yourself a small-term goal for the next few weeks. Working towards a goal is easier and will keep your willpower and body primed. At least, that is what i would do. I certainly could see the fun in going for a crazy mini-cut.

Themostocles
09-11-08, 4:37 am
X2. You will have to give yourself a small-term goal for the next few weeks. Working towards a goal is easier and will keep your willpower and body primed. At least, that is what i would do. I certainly could see the fun in going for a crazy mini-cut.

Emphasis on the crazy with this group of knuckleheads lol. I am not that great with diet info, but best of luck to your wife. -T.

machineman
09-11-08, 5:52 am
That is what I was considering....a mini cut!! Crazy? here? you MUST be joking, right?lol....

shizz702
09-11-08, 8:44 am
He said you could do lower body exercises? SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can squat 3x a week and continue to progress with that. Also for the stack you were asking about, Pak, Flex, and Uniliver are must haves no matter what the goal. Also some creatine will do you some good.

machineman
09-11-08, 9:01 am
ahhh, yes....the kicker....NO SQUAT. Due to the bar placement, he does not want me squating yet.....

machineman
09-11-08, 9:02 am
I am taking Pak and creatine now and I planned on adding Flex....so I will add the Uniliver as well.

shizz702
09-11-08, 9:25 am
Omega is also really good, covers all the efa's and you only have to take it once a day like Pak and Flex. How bout deadlifts?

machineman
09-11-08, 10:01 am
Doc doesn't want me working any upperbody. He doesn't want the upper body getting stronger and holding back the spine from moving where it needs to go.....

I can do calves and leg press, extesions....I am going to try cardio because I want to make sure this issue is not vascular....which I am now starting to wonder if that is the case......

shizz702
09-11-08, 10:13 am
Doc doesn't want me working any upperbody. He doesn't want the upper body getting stronger and holding back the spine from moving where it needs to go.....

I can do calves and leg press, extesions....I am going to try cardio because I want to make sure this issue is not vascular....which I am now starting to wonder if that is the case......

Just hit the cardio up for now then bro, I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

machineman
09-11-08, 10:59 am
should I do a mini cut or don't you think it would be worth it at this point.

shizz702
09-11-08, 11:17 am
should I do a mini cut or don't you think it would be worth it at this point.

Nah don't worry about cutting, just do the cardio as a way of occupying your time and getting some endorphin release. The cardio will serve as a way of getting thru the next couple of weeks, and then once your good to hit the weights again you can resume where you left off.

machineman
09-11-08, 12:18 pm
okay....should this just be moderate cardio or what?

Themostocles
09-11-08, 12:35 pm
okay....should this just be moderate cardio or what?

Ya, no high intesity. Might aggravate your neck and could end up catabolic. -T.

machineman
09-12-08, 6:13 am
hmmm....bored.....tired.....work sucks....at least working 6 12's does.....and I can't train....and IT'S RAINING.....blah.

Themostocles
09-12-08, 8:03 am
hmmm....bored.....tired.....work sucks....at least working 6 12's does.....and I can't train....and IT'S RAINING.....blah.

Its raining here too, and I am bored as hell. Everything tonight has been automatic, so I have little to do. And I am not looking forward to come in tonight for my 6th day. -T.

machineman
09-12-08, 12:59 pm
Its raining here too, and I am bored as hell. Everything tonight has been automatic, so I have little to do. And I am not looking forward to come in tonight for my 6th day. -T.

I am working on day 13 in a row.....next day off may be in November..

shizz702
09-12-08, 1:03 pm
I am working on day 13 in a row.....next day off may be in November..

Damn bro I don't know how you do it. Why don't you get any days off throughout the week?

machineman
09-12-08, 3:23 pm
Damn bro I don't know how you do it. Why don't you get any days off throughout the week?

We have 3 or 4 jobs coming in/up and we have to get them done by the end of they year. This happens every year. The auto companies have some extra money so they want some new engines launched. Makes for a nice Holiday season.....

machineman
09-12-08, 5:50 pm
Asked the chiro if I can start lifting again, he said yes!!!!!! I am going to wait until Monday, just to give myself a full week to heal. I will talk to him again on Monday and if he says the same thing again, I will be back in the gym on Monday. It will be light and easy, but I will give it a go and see what happens.....hopefully, all is good and there will be no problems.

shizz702
09-12-08, 7:12 pm
Asked the chiro if I can start lifting again, he said yes!!!!!! I am going to wait until Monday, just to give myself a full week to heal. I will talk to him again on Monday and if he says the same thing again, I will be back in the gym on Monday. It will be light and easy, but I will give it a go and see what happens.....hopefully, all is good and there will be no problems.

Nice bro! As the old adage goes, "patience is a virtue."

Since you've been patient and waited this out you'll hopefully be cleared and good to go, and I know once you get back in you are going to tear shit up!

Themostocles
09-12-08, 9:20 pm
Hope you can start up again and smoothly. Just remember to take it easy for the first couple of days. -T.

machineman
09-13-08, 4:03 am
My plan is to take the first couple of training sessions and test everything out to make sure nothing unforseen happens. If after the first couple session nothing has gone amiss.....this shit is ON!!!!!

machineman
09-13-08, 10:06 am
I ended up having to move some steel around the shop this morning.....was a nice little workout....and ZERO pain or issues!! I am still going to wait til Monday for an actual workout, but this is encouraging!!!!

Thrawn
09-14-08, 6:49 am
Excellent news, brother! Glad you can resume the journey again. Ease back into it and once your back on steam.... ITS ON!!

shizz702
09-14-08, 6:01 pm
Looking foward to seeing you get back to it Monday brotha!

machineman
09-14-08, 6:42 pm
Lookin forward to gettin' too! The week off was nice but it sucked at the same time.....I am really hoping tomorrow goes off without a hitch. We'll find out in about 24 hours.

machineman
09-15-08, 1:38 pm
so far I have had:

1.5 cups oats
8 eggs (2 whole)
5oz porkchop with med potato

Feeling good and really looking forward to getting back at it this afternoon....

machineman
09-15-08, 6:31 pm
I went to the gym today and the numbers aren't impressive, but at least it was pain free.....

5 minute bike warm up

Squat (pause at the bottom for 2 count)
95 X 8
115 X 8
135 X 5
135 X 5
135 X 5

Bench
95 X 8
115 X 8
135 X 5
135 X 5
135 X 5

Deadlift
205 X 5
205 X 5

Everything was very controlled with attention paid to form. I had no issues today so I will go again on Wednesday and see how things progress from there.

I appreciate everyones words while I was off.....it felt real good to get back at it.....

shizz702
09-15-08, 6:48 pm
Alright bro glad to see you back to it! Don't worry about the numbers too much now, just ease back into things and before you know it you'll surpass your previous PR's.

machineman
09-15-08, 7:29 pm
forgot to add calves at the end..

Seated Calf Raises
90 X 15
115 X 15
135 X 15

machineman
09-15-08, 7:32 pm
Alright bro glad to see you back to it! Don't worry about the numbers too much now, just ease back into things and before you know it you'll surpass your previous PR's.

fo'sho....that is the plan for this week....just ease into everything....I will probably go to Jujitsu on Friday night and hit the gym on Saturday.....

One good thing is the Y will now be open til 10pm during the week....makes it easier for me that way....I can hit the gym after I put the kids in the rack....probably won't have to worry about some of the annoying people there.....at least not at 8pm.....

Themostocles
09-15-08, 11:22 pm

x2. Keeping the form tight will help your numbers, as well as helf prevent another injury. -T.

Firedrake
09-15-08, 11:31 pm
I went to the gym today and the numbers aren't impressive, but at least it was pain free.....

*snip*

Everything was very controlled with attention paid to form. I had no issues today so I will go again on Wednesday and see how things progress from there.

I appreciate everyones words while I was off.....it felt real good to get back at it.....

Pain-free is good -- at least any pain other than the ache in the muscles. I know it's a joy to me to be able to push hard without my back hurting. I'll repeat what everyone's been telling me. Control and form is almost more important than the numbers. Work back into it until you can push up the numbers under full control!

'drake

Thrawn
09-16-08, 5:18 am
Awesome, machineman! Just ease back into it. Form BEATS numbers in the long run, brother! Do NOT worry about numbers right now. Great to see you getting back into it!

machineman
09-16-08, 5:52 am
feels good to be a littel sore again!! I know that form is most important, so I am going to work back up from here and maintain precise form for all lifts.....tomorrow will be military press and rows...if everything goes well, jujitsu on Friday.....

machineman
09-16-08, 5:53 am
Pain-free is good -- at least any pain other than the ache in the muscles. I know it's a joy to me to be able to push hard without my back hurting. I'll repeat what everyone's been telling me. Control and form is almost more important than the numbers. Work back into it until you can push up the numbers under full control!

'drake

thanks for stopping by, bro...it means alot to me.

machineman
09-17-08, 5:27 am
meal 1: 2 eggs, 6 egg whites, 1.5 cups oats, 8oz milk
meal 2: peanut butter on wheat bread
meal 3: peanut butter on wheat bread
meal 4: 5oz porkchop, medium baked potato, 2 peanut butter sandwiches
meal 5: peanut butter on wheat bread
meal 6: stuffed shells with cheese and sauce
meal 7: 2 cups plain yogurt, 3 packets splenda, 1 cup raisins

machineman
09-18-08, 8:49 am
Squat (working set had 2-3 second pause at the bottom)
115 X 7
135 X 7
155 X 5
155 X 5
155 X 5

Military Press
95 X 8
115 X 7
135 X 5
135 X 5
135 X 5

Rows
115 X 8
135 X 7
175 X 5
175 X 5
175 X 5

shizz702
09-18-08, 9:35 am
Damn good job bro! Looks like you're right back to it again! Do you do your military's free weighted or in the smith?

machineman
09-18-08, 11:49 am
unfortunately smith.....but I used a regular flat bench to concentrate on perfect form so it was a good working set..I hate to use the smith, but I have no choice really....and work has taken a huge turn so there is no extra $$$ for now....just hope I don't have to drop the Y...