PDA

View Full Version : Cross Training

bobbymart
08-10-08, 5:06 pm
So I thought I would start this thread up because I knwo there are people out there who do multiple types of sports I myself do a bit of everything

fighting (mma)
basket ball
football
racket ball
powerlifting
running (have done a few half marathons doing my 1st marathon nov. 2nd)
snowboarding
rock climbing

anything physical now I know people will say if you do all of that you will never be great at any one thing but I disagree doing all theses things make me great at being myself because I love to do each and every one of them!!

barischeg
08-11-08, 4:04 pm
i do alot of different sports..

boxing
spartan trainning
powerlifting
soccer
circuit training

bobbymart
08-12-08, 9:25 pm
bump... there have got to be more crosstrainers out there

barischeg
08-13-08, 10:09 pm
add swimming and squash to my list

Jonisocool
08-14-08, 1:23 am
Used to skateboard, but cant find nothin that'll hold 240lbs!!!

Boards always break within a week lol.

Snowboarding ftw tho.

How is the powder on east coast Bobby? Never been. Deployment is almost over just in time for snowboarding season, can you say COMBO TRIP! Whistler/Crystal/Mt Hood Meaders/Baker/Lake Tahoe. Doin it west coast stylee.

machineman
08-15-08, 8:25 am
submission grappling/Aikido
wakeboarding
snowboarding
swimming

big bear
08-16-08, 8:18 pm
barischeg- what is spartan training? like using swords and spears and stuff?

T. Kemble
08-17-08, 10:42 am
psssssssst....

wait for september for my article on "Iron Athletics" and the age of the new athlete when Universal Updates their website

bobbymart
08-17-08, 4:12 pm
Used to skateboard, but cant find nothin that'll hold 240lbs!!!

Boards always break within a week lol.

Snowboarding ftw tho.

How is the powder on east coast Bobby? Never been. Deployment is almost over just in time for snowboarding season, can you say COMBO TRIP! Whistler/Crystal/Mt Hood Meaders/Baker/Lake Tahoe. Doin it west coast stylee.

snowboarding is OK out here but im from Seattle and nothing can compare to hood or whistler even baker I grew up in a town called Enumclaw and we were only 45 from crystal mountain so we would hit it up before school every day

bigchuck000
08-25-08, 9:07 pm
I powerlift/ bodybuild
as well as teach Karate
and on the weekends play softball

Magnificient Milk
12-06-08, 3:37 pm
I used to play basketball, 2-3 hours a day.

Focusing on lifting now, plus my new love is the NFL.

iluvtoobs
04-16-09, 2:44 am
olympic weightlifting, greco-roman wrestling.

bigffmike
04-16-09, 10:21 am
Cross Fit
Boxing
Fighting (Grapling & MMA)
Rock Climbing

bobbymart
05-27-09, 10:42 am
So I was doing some reading and I ran across some people who think that a bodybuilding split does not work for athletes one one hand I agree on the other I think that making a blanket statement like that breaks the number one rule of working out and that is that everyone is different, now I workout on a bodybuilding split 4 times a week

chest tri's
back bi's
shoulders
rest
core/ arms
rest
rest

on top of that I do mma and I am a competative runner in 5k's and 10k's

bobbymart
05-27-09, 10:44 am
So I was doing some reading and I ran across some people who think that a bodybuilding split does not work for athletes one one hand I agree on the other I think that making a blanket statement like that breaks the number one rule of working out and that is that everyone is different, now I workout on a bodybuilding split 4 times a week heavy as possible while keeping good form in 6-10 rep range.

chest tri's
back bi's
shoulders
rest
core/ arms
rest
rest

on top of that I do mma and I am a competative runner in 5k's and 10k's I also play basketball 2 or 3 times a week lifting like a bodybuilder alows me to keep on some size with all the cardio work I do how about you guys any other athletes out there that workout like a bodybuilder?

jarHunter
12-15-09, 11:47 am
dont forget your legs man.

sarahjohn63
07-20-10, 4:06 am
I have also multiple types of sports like,
football
snowboarding
rock climbing
racket ball.

pauls388
07-22-10, 8:47 am
http://forum.animalpak.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=475874

great.....
I am also good at some sports but better than you,
I also used to keep myself Busy in
Cricket
Football
basket ball
cycling
running
Mountain climbing
swimmimg

Sprint
08-12-10, 10:19 am
So I was doing some reading and I ran across some people who think that a bodybuilding split does not work for athletes one one hand I agree on the other I think that making a blanket statement like that breaks the number one rule of working out and that is that everyone is different, now I workout on a bodybuilding split 4 times a week heavy as possible while keeping good form in 6-10 rep range.

chest tri's
back bi's
shoulders
rest
core/ arms
rest
rest

on top of that I do mma and I am a competative runner in 5k's and 10k's I also play basketball 2 or 3 times a week lifting like a bodybuilder alows me to keep on some size with all the cardio work I do how about you guys any other athletes out there that workout like a bodybuilder?

Very similar bro. I hit the gym in the style of a bodybuilder 5 times a week, split into:-

Back
Chest
Shoulders
Arms
Legs.

In addition to that Im a competitive sprinter & train with my athletics club twice a week. On my leg days in the gym, I hit up some plyometrics before the weights.
Needless to say I do 2-3 core sessions along with my weights, typically following chest/shoulders/legs days.

The bodybuilding training helped to develop overall strength & a higher resistance to lactic acid, which helps towards the end of races.
The only downside is the amount of negative publicity the sport has gotten recently through the likes of Dwain Chambers, Ben Johnson etc being caught using 'substances'. Im a 100% clean athlete & achieved my physique through 5 years of hard work both in the gym & the kitchen. However I get comments about it. Not from my team-mates but athletes from other clubs at comps. Most sprinters get accused of taking stuff these days, but when you get a bodybuilder getting into his blocks, it gets a whole lot more frequent.

Not even subtle, at my last meeting we were actually on the start line about to be called to our marks by the starter when one of the guys looked at me and said "fucking hell mate, enough steroids?" Needless to say I put him in his place, then beat him in the race which made it even sweeter.

Those closest to me, who know me best, know that I'm clean. And their opinions are what matters to me, rather than somebody willing to assume there is no other way apart from opening a bottle of pills or sticking in a syringe.

The accusations are a price I'm willing to pay, however. I get the same thing wherever I go, even from members & colleagues at the gym where I work. For me, it's a small price for having the physique that I want, training the way I love, and I truly feel that it has benefitted my sprinting. Plus I'm starting to get somewhat roped in for shot putt at my club.

Some may say "jack of all trades, master of none."

I say "I refuse to limit myself to just one pleasure in life."

bush95
03-28-12, 7:40 am
I'm thinking about adding Crossfit to my lifting routine to get stronger and lose fat. I saw several of you mentioned it... how was your experience and were the results what you expected?

Lunchead
04-06-12, 11:54 pm
Power lifting
Skateboarding
running
kayaking
swimming

balancing the Power lifting and skateboarding alone is hard enough but I managed to make it work, adding the others in the mix is near impossible though lol

Lunchead
05-01-12, 3:18 pm
http://youtu.be/3d81ONrI2sw
training for my next comp 445x3 deads with straps and some skating I did the day before lol