PDA

View Full Version : Deliverance from obscurity

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

wedge
08-14-08, 3:20 pm
I've debated back and forth for a few months about starting to keep track of my journey on here, as so many of my fellow Animals do. Well, I've finally decided to start one, so I can share things with people who understand some of the thoughts that bounce around in my head.

I've titled my journey Deliverance from obscurity because, in many ways, I felt obscure in my youth. Throughout high school and early college, I was the 5'6" 150 guy that everyone pushed around. Through trial, error and the help of this forum, I am now 200 lbs, with veins and abs beginning to show.
But that abused little boy is still inside me, down deep. He rears his ugly head from time to time, mostly when I feel like giving up on a set. This fuels me to keep pounding out until the goal is reached.

Now it's my time. See you in the gym.

wedge
08-14-08, 7:48 pm
Fantastic leg day today. Had my session on my mind almost all day while I was at work. Unfortunately, some of that time was spent worrying about my right knee. I did something to it a while back, either injured it from bad squat form or an old football injury, but it has hurt from time to time.
Decided to wrap it nice and tight, take five minutes on a bike to warm up and then do extensions first, to limber up. Did three warm up sets of 10-12, then three working sets, followed by a fourth set of a lighter weight with 15 reps.
Then moved on to squats and made it up to 365 for a rep. I've been doing my squats in the smith machine because of my knee and because I have had a hard time balancing the weight on my back freely. I talked to a trainer about regular squats vs. smith machine squats and he said there was not a huge difference, so I am happy where I'm at. Plus, my knee is doing a lot better and did not hurt at all this workout.
Rounded out the workout with three sets on the leg press, standing hamy curl, lying curl and three sets on two different calf machines.
Overall, it was a good workout.

machineman
08-14-08, 8:08 pm
good work, wedge....keep it up

wedge
08-17-08, 8:53 am
Thursday's leg workout took a lot out of me. I'm still feeling a bit sore, in my quads, near my knee several days later. I think it may have been the best leg session I've had in a while, so I've earned it.
Arms on Friday was a bit taxing, but I got through it. Did the tricep superset that house of pain showed me at the last CT ABC. Only managed 20 mins on the bike after the workout before my legs started cramping.
So far I have had a relaxing weekend. Spent it with the fiance and at a bbq with some friends. Nothing like 5 pieces of boneless chicken breast and friends commenting on your body to get you looking forward to Monday and your back attack.

good work, wedge....keep it up
Thanks for the support brother.

wedge
08-18-08, 11:26 pm
Weird day today. Was supposed to do back, but a mix up with the landlord had me sitting around hours after I was supposed to be in the gym. Couldn't just skip the gym tonight, so I moved my schedule around and did shoulders, due to time constraints.
I need to work on my form on the push press. I love it, but I'm not certain I'm doing it correctly. Also, the closer my grip, the easier it seems to get the weight up.
I'm loving the superset of seated shrugs/standing shrugs. The burn feels good and I can barely lift my arms over my head for a few hours.
Hopefully, if all goes well tomorrow, I can continue my assault on a 405 deadlift. I will have it within the next few months.

wedge
08-20-08, 10:30 am
Due to issues with my landlord and a leaky pipe, my lifting schedule has been off for the last few days. It's amazing how tied to a schedule I have become. Almost came close to skipping the gym today and just doubling up on body parts the rest of the week.
Glad I didn't do that.
Set a new PR on deadlifts, 385. Been pushing for 405, was able to get it a bit up my shin, but no further. Pissed off, I dropped down to 385 and put that up. Only 20 lbs more to go until I reach this goal.
At the conclusion of my routine, I did a superset of good mornings and extensions, X 3 to hit my lower back a bit more.
The rest of my routine included t-bar rows, one arm rows (120X6) pulldowns and face pulls.
If you haven't tried face pulls yet, give them a try. Great way to finish off back, in my opinion.

BSand
08-20-08, 11:12 am
Wedge, I just read your story and I dig it. I still am that 5'6" 150 pound guy, and I'm working like hell to change that. Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck with the 405.

Can you describe the face pull? Is it a close grip pullup, or something else?

wedge
08-28-08, 10:32 am
It's been a while since I've updated this. My fiance has been off on assignment, so all I've been doing is eating, training, working and taking care of our dog. Sometimes it doesn't feel like there is enough time in the day for everything.
In the last two weeks I have reached several PRs. The one I'm most hyped for is 1,000 pounds on the leg press. That's half a ton. That's 11 plates on each side of the machine, with two 5 pounders to exactly hit 1,000.
Other accomplishments are incline dumbbell bench with the 100 lbs weights (for 1), 262.5 lbs on incline press (machine), 145 push press and 315 squat for 4.
I'm still chasing 405 on the deadlift. I'm about mid-shin with it right now, but for whatever reason, I can't get it any further. Bought some straps, going to read up and make it my bitch by the end of the year.

Wedge, I just read your story and I dig it. I still am that 5'6" 150 pound guy, and I'm working like hell to change that. Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck with the 405.

Can you describe the face pull? Is it a close grip pullup, or something else?

BSand, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the kind words. Read up around here, eat right and train your ass off. The gains and size will come, you just have to earn them.
The face pull is something I learned from Tiny. Check out his long ass thread over in the "Ask the Pros" section. Guy is a fountain of knowledge. Anyway, for the face pull, use a rope set up on a high pulley, like you were going to do triceps. Take a few steps back and grip the rope and pull it towards your face at a reasonable weight, flaring your elbows out. Pull it towards your face with care, as you'll likely smack yourself in the nose if your not careful. Been there did that.
I would also google it, so you can see how its done. I don't think I did justice to describing it.

wedge
09-02-08, 3:32 pm
Just signed up for my second amateur strong man competition. Though it is nothing major and sponsored by my local YMCA, I am looking forward to it. I competed in it last year and proved I belong. This year, I plan on making some serious noise.
Start my exclusive training for it tomorrow. I can't wait.

wedge
09-03-08, 1:43 pm
Have a nice workout plan set, with help from some fellow Animal brothers. Basically, it's Push exercises on Monday, Pull on Tuesday and events on Friday.
Since my gym was basically closed on Monday, due to Labor Day, I am abbreviating the schedule and not doing events this week.
However, my fiance thinks I am weird because the only thing I've been talking recently is this workout.
Damn I can't wait to get under the bar later this afternoon!

machineman
09-03-08, 1:45 pm
hit the shit hard, bro....and good luck with the new routine.

wedge
09-08-08, 11:51 pm
hit the shit hard, bro....and good luck with the new routine.

Thanks for the support. Appreciate it.

This new routine is great. I finished my "push" day about four hours ago and I'm still lethargic.
Right now, I'm exhausted, content and ready for bed, once I down this shake.

shizz702
09-09-08, 11:43 am
Subbed brother, I'll be checking in from time to time. Keep up the good work!

wedge
09-09-08, 3:29 pm
Subbed brother, I'll be checking in from time to time. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the support and thanks again for helping out with the routine. It's a killer.

machineman
09-09-08, 3:53 pm
good luck with your comp.....how does the knee feel lately?

wedge
09-10-08, 9:04 am
good luck with your comp.....how does the knee feel lately?

Knee's still attached. I've been more careful with it. Warming up on a bike for a few minutes, then a few sets of extensions. Knock on wood, so far so good. It really hasn't hurt at all and I'm push PRs for squats right now.
Also, I think I improved my form by working in with a guy who had his stuff straight a few weeks back.

wedge
09-10-08, 9:07 am
Is it Saturday yet? This weekend I'm going with a fellow Iron Warrior to a local, regional bodybuilding comp. in Southington CT. I'm really looking forward to it, almost like it's Christmas.
I'm also looking forward to the expo that is held in conjunction with the contest.
I'll be there reppin' my Animal shirt.

wedge
09-10-08, 7:37 pm
Finally after a few months of pushing, I finally pulled 405 on the deadlift. Once I got it to my knees, all form went out the window, but, after what felt like forever, I was able to finish and lock it out.
Next step 405 with perfect form.

wedge
09-14-08, 4:59 pm
Been a bit since I updated this. Been real busy.
Friday, I lifted in the morning because I was spending the day at Giant Stadium, covering the local high school football team playing there. Great experience.
Was real weird lifting in the morning and squats are not quite the good morning wish I normally wake up too.
Saturday, I went to a local bodybuilding competition. Saw Mr. Aestheticz take home several first place trophies, including best poser. Congrats brother.

wedge
09-16-08, 12:43 pm
Saturday's bodybuilding show really lit a fire up under my ass. I saw the dedication these men and women had and all I could do was count down the seconds until I could get into the gym Monday.
I was refocused and wanted it more. I pushed myself harder than I have in a long, long time.
I just kept thinking about those here on the forum who have helped me, by comments, advice or planning a routine for this strongman contest. I will not let them down. I will die underneath the damn weight before that happens.
With that in mind, squats was fun. Worked my way up to 315 for two and then stripped the bar down to 225. Pumped out 10 clean reps. Then, after a quick drink of water, dropped down to 135 for twenty. Couldn't walk or see straight afterwards, but damn....that was fun.
Then off to do chest, shoulders, shrugs and a quick calves routine.
The only drawback from yesterday was that I used some non-animal supplements that I was given at the bodybuilding competition, in place of my normal Animal supplementation. A mixture of energy/NO before workout and an energy drink during kept me wired all night. Only got like four hours of sleep.

wedge
09-23-08, 12:06 pm
Closing in on the strongman competition. This Friday I'm going to get some coaching on the equipment. Looking forward to tossing around a telephone pole.

shizz702
09-25-08, 11:51 am
Good luck with your comp brotha! You're gonna kill it!

wedge
09-25-08, 12:07 pm
It is great to see the camaraderie in bodybuilding in the area. As an Editor, I put some photos of the local bodybuilding competition into the paper. The promoter, who I've talked with before, loved it. Now he wants to come to the strongman and cheer us on, like I and others did for him and his show.
Roughly two weeks until the strongman. I cannot wait!

wedge
09-25-08, 12:10 pm
Good luck with your comp brotha! You're gonna kill it!

Thanks for the support brother. The routine you helped me with is doing wonders for me. I have veins starting to pop and show up and I'm pushing weight that I didn't really think I could before.

By the way I'm jealous. I read in another thread that your going to the Olylmpia.

shizz702
09-25-08, 12:12 pm
Thanks for the support brother. The routine you helped me with is doing wonders for me. I have veins starting to pop and show up and I'm pushing weight that I didn't really think I could before.

By the way I'm jealous. I read in another thread that your going to the Olylmpia.

That's awesome bro! I'm so glad to hear that routine worked out well for you. Amazing how you can get so much done, by keeping things simple eh?

Lol well I'm not going to the actual Olympia competition, but am going to the Expo, and the big ABC event.

wedge
09-25-08, 2:16 pm
That's awesome bro! I'm so glad to hear that routine worked out well for you. Amazing how you can get so much done, by keeping things simple eh?

Lol well I'm not going to the actual Olympia competition, but am going to the Expo, and the big ABC event.

Next best thing bro. Have a good time.

wedge
09-29-08, 1:59 pm
Flipped the telephone a few times Friday. That was the one event that gave me trouble last year. Felt great knowing I was able to do it. Looking forward to doing it for real in less than two weeks.
Due to family constraints, I had to lift at 6 a.m. this morning, instead of my normal 6 p.m. Whatever you have to do right? Much respect to those Animals who do this thing regularly.
Earned my stripes this morning and found out I actually love squatting first thing in the morning. Beats a cup of coffee to wake you up!
Set a new PR in squats. Twice actually. The first one felt too simple and easy, so I added some more weight and did it again. Had a trainer at the gym spotting me, just in case. After finishing, noticed the trainer had a congratulatory/amazed type look on his face.
All I could think was, I have a strength contest in 12 days. I'm going balls out, no matter what time the clock says it is.

machineman
09-29-08, 2:13 pm
kick ass, bro!!

wedge
09-30-08, 2:12 pm
kick ass, bro!!

Thanks bro. That six a.m. squatting session definitely did kick my ass. But damn, it was fun!

wedge
10-02-08, 3:37 pm
A little more than a week out. Busting ass even harder now. Been going so hard that the room spins and I dry heave. Just another day at the office.

wedge
10-08-08, 11:46 am
Injured my right wrist. Tweaked it somehow doing front squats. Has hurt for about two weeks, but with the strength competition this Saturday, I can stop and rest it now. Wrapping it tight before the gym has worked so far. I'll take next week off of the gym to let it recoup.

I'm looking forward to competing Saturday, but I'm also looking forward to being around others who love the weights as much as I do. Met one of my "competitors" the other day. Got talking about his Animal lanyard he got in a Big 88. Told him about the forum and he signed up right away. He also gave me a few tips on my clean and press.

wedge
10-13-08, 2:07 pm
Competed in my second strongman this past Saturday. Came in fifth out of five in my weight class, but I was more competitive than I was last year and was in third until the final two events.
Though I am somewhat upset with the results, there are several positive aspects that I can draw from the competition.
I did it. Instead of just talking about it, I stepped up to the plate and pushed myself.
This year I was competitive. Last year I entered with only about a week and a half's notice. This year, with the help of some on this board, I put together a routine that kept me competitive.
I finished all of the events, including the telephone pole flip, which I couldn't do last year. Got it over five times this year.
I "cut" weight and kept it off. I had to stay under 201, or I would be place in the heavyweight category, giving in some cases over 50 lbs to my competitors. I was strict with my diet and added cardio first thing in the morning.
I earned the respect of my fellow competitors and had a great time.

wedge
10-15-08, 2:05 pm
I hate taking a week off to rest. I know my body needs it, as my wrist is still sore. Sore to the point where I may end up having to go to the doctors because of it.
But, I still hear the iron calling me!

wedge
11-04-08, 11:53 am
Set a new PR on squat (405) then immediately paid taxes on it. 315 x 2, 225 x 10 and 135 x 20.
After payment, I had to rush to the bathroom to relieve my stomach of weakness.

machineman
11-05-08, 5:54 am
awesome job wedge.....congrats on the comp.....keep at it and you will be moving that 5th place higher and higher....

wedge
11-05-08, 12:24 pm
Thanks Machineman. I was frustrated with the outcome, but proud that I stepped up to the plate. I've since signed on for Juggernaut's increased taxation and am reaping the rewards. If I can keep it up and decide to compete again next year, watch out.

machineman
11-05-08, 2:16 pm
Thanks Machineman. I was frustrated with the outcome, but proud that I stepped up to the plate. I've since signed on for Juggernaut's increased taxation and am reaping the rewards. If I can keep it up and decide to compete again next year, watch out.

shit, bro...you will compete.....cause that is how we do it!! and when the tax man calls, we know you will answer and answer loudly!

wedge
11-06-08, 1:28 pm
Waiting for lunch to cool down from the microwave. Two small chicken breasts, parmesan style (leftovers from my bday dinner) and some spaghetti.
I'm a bit annoyed right now. Just getting back into the groove of everything, following the strength contest, and re-aggravated my sprained wrist I got during training a month or so back. I have it wrapped and it is still sore. To the point where I think I may have to skip back and arms this week.
I want to punch my computer after that last sentence.
This weekend, I will have to go out and purchase some wrist wraps to protect myself from myself and hopefully nip this issue in the bud.
I can't wait to get back into the gym next week. Looking forward to shoulders. I hurt my wrist again on military presses. Next week I return the favor.

wedge
11-10-08, 11:22 am
Wrist is feeling much better. Bought some wrists support bands over the weekend, should be good to go.
Been having a lot more energy in the gym since I moved my leg workouts to Monday. Not to mention the squat rack is usually always open, as everyone else is benching.

wedge
11-25-08, 12:29 pm
Wrist supports are doing there job. Thank God.

wedge
12-01-08, 3:22 pm
Decided to change up my leg routine. It was starting to feel stagnant.
Here is what I'm looking at: Squats: 4-6 sets (including warm up), front squats 3-4 sets, Zurcher squats, 3-4 sets and then leg curls and calve raises, again 3-4.
Looks like a good time.

wedge
12-02-08, 12:59 pm
New squat routine went well. Worked up to 325 x5 and then did a few "tax" sets of 325 x 4, 3 and 2. Topped it off with 215 x 10.
Moved onto front squats. Only did 135 x 6 for three sets, as I'm trying to figure out how best to do these. Have some bruising on my shoulders from lying the weight on them.
Finished squats with three sets of Zurchers. 135 x6 , 185 x4, 135 x 6. These feel awkward, but we'll see.
Finished off with lying leg curls 90 x 10, 110 x 8 and 130 x6.
Going to add calves to my shoulder routine.

wedge
12-03-08, 9:20 am
Chest/Tris yesterday. Rest day today. Looking forward to napping after work.

Started with incline dumbells. Warm up with 40 and 50s. Working sets 60, 70, 80 and 85.
Moved onto bench. 135 x 10, 160 x 8, 185 x 6, 225 x 1, 200 x 8.
Pec Deck next. Worked up to 235 in four sets, for six reps.
Close grip bench, 135 x 10, 160 x 8 and 185 x 8.
Pull downs, 50 x 10, 60 x 8 and 70 x 6. (Weight seems heavier here on the machine I used. Can do low 200s on same exercise, but the weight feels heavier here.)
Kickbacks.

wedge
12-09-08, 2:00 pm
Stomach feels weird. Just reintroduced red meat into my diet. It's been a while.

Legs yesterday. Same routine as before, except I took out front squats and subbed extensions. I need to have someone show me proper form for front squats. They kill my shoulder area and have actually left bruises.
I'll have to ask around at the ABC next month.

wedge
12-10-08, 12:33 pm
Ever get the feeling your talking to yourself?
Chest yesterday. Worked way up to 225 for six. Went for a PR of 275. Still needed a bit of help. Nothing overly major, but enough to still be chasing the PR. Soon enough.
Paid some taxes, did 235 for two, then three and topped it off with 185 x 12. Pecs felt so full.
Finished off with incline dumbells and pec dec. Moved onto triceps three exercises for three sets each.

wedge
12-12-08, 12:40 pm
Shaked things up for back today. Decided to do deads for reps, rather than weight. 145 x 15 up to 275 x 8. Then 315 x 3.
Moved on to t-bar rows and face pulls.
Then curls and machine curls for biceps.

Thinking that if I get back to basics a bit, instead of cluttering myself down with too many exercises, I can stimulate growth.

xMATT182x
01-30-09, 2:30 am
I've debated back and forth for a few months about starting to keep track of my journey on here, as so many of my fellow Animals do. Well, I've finally decided to start one, so I can share things with people who understand some of the thoughts that bounce around in my head.

I've titled my journey Deliverance from obscurity because, in many ways, I felt obscure in my youth. Throughout high school and early college, I was the 5'6" 150 guy that everyone pushed around. Through trial, error and the help of this forum, I am now 200 lbs, with veins and abs beginning to show.
But that abused little boy is still inside me, down deep. He rears his ugly head from time to time, mostly when I feel like giving up on a set. This fuels me to keep pounding out until the goal is reached.

Now it's my time. See you in the gym.

I'm with ya bro 100% We have our demons, we'll just crush those fuckers with iron.

wedge
02-16-09, 3:46 pm
I'm with ya bro 100% We have our demons, we'll just crush those fuckers with iron.

Thanks for stopping by XMattx.
Been a while since I've updated here. Taking some time off from lifting right now, as my left wrist is sprained. Only been able to do legs and some cardio.
Feels damn weird going to the gym just for cardio.....

NJC_Manhattan
02-16-09, 4:04 pm
[QUOTE=wedge;584561]Ever get the feeling your talking to yourself?
QUOTE]

Ha, yeah sometimes. Especially, if Im the only one at the gym. Doing good work in here man, keep it up.

wedge
02-17-09, 12:33 pm
[QUOTE=wedge;584561]Ever get the feeling your talking to yourself?
QUOTE]

Ha, yeah sometimes. Especially, if Im the only one at the gym. Doing good work in here man, keep it up.

Thanks NJC. Appreciate it. Nothing wrong with talking to yourself. You just get weird glances from others in the gym.

Yesterday's leg workout. Been killing it, as my wrist is sore and I can't really train anything else. Almost feel sorry for my legs.

My wrist is still a bit funky, but I've been making sure my leg taxes are up to date.
Squats Free motion machine squats
Bar x 15 160 x 15
135 x 12 220 x 12
225 x 10 260 x 10
275 x 10 320 x 10
315 x 5 360 x 10
185 x 20 400 x 1o

Leg Ext.
120 x 10
200 x 6
315 x 2-PR (just felt like pinning the machine)

Laying hamstring curls Standing Curls
110 x 12 100 x 6
130 x 10 80 x 8
170 x 4-New PR 80 x 8

Calf raises-leg press with toes
3 sets of 20, 125, 250, 300

Wrist feels somewhat better. Did a few reps on the bench with 135, didn't feel that worse for the wear. Not sure if I want to give it a go tonight, or if I should rest it a bit more.

machineman
02-17-09, 12:45 pm
once your wrist heals, switch your routine up a bit.....will definitely spur some new growth!

wedge
02-17-09, 2:13 pm
once your wrist heals, switch your routine up a bit.....will definitely spur some new growth!

I'm not too worried about my routine right now. I was making some good progress before my wrist injury.
I'll change it up when I start to plateau.

wedge
02-18-09, 10:19 am
Legs on Monday and cardio on Tuesday was a recipe that kicked my ass. I spent last night lying on the couch and having it take a monstrous effort just to get up to to go to the bathroom or get food.
Damn it felt good knowing I've paid some dues.

wedge
02-20-09, 5:35 pm
I've had enough sitting on the sidelines. I've taken close to two weeks off from the gym due to my wrist. It feels better now, so I'm wrapping it and doing a few sets of bench, shoulder presses and deads.
If all goes well, I'll be hitting shit up normal, starting Monday!

wedge
02-20-09, 7:51 pm
Returned "home" today. My wrist felt up to it, so I wrapped it up and returned to the gym to workout and not just admire it from the cardio area.
Did bench, strict presses and deads. Weight was less than normal, but I did take two weeks off and was trying not to agitate my wrist even more. It and I survived, so I am starting up again for real Monday, with an eye towards keeping my wrist healthy.

wedge
02-25-09, 9:36 am
Going to a local Jewish Community Center with a friend tonight for a shoulder workout. I am told that they recently renovated and have dumbells that go up to 200 lbs. Though I am doing shoulders, I plan on trying to row those 200 lbers.

JUGGERNAUT
03-02-09, 2:51 pm
Wrist is feeling much better. Bought some wrists support bands over the weekend, should be good to go.
Been having a lot more energy in the gym since I moved my leg workouts to Monday. Not to mention the squat rack is usually always open, as everyone else is benching.

Gotta love it that some people are looking out for us...by this I mean they keep benching, so ANIMALS like us can use the power/squat racks to get huge in. To this we say THANK YOU!

wedge
03-03-09, 12:16 pm
Gotta love it that some people are looking out for us...by this I mean they keep benching, so ANIMALS like us can use the power/squat racks to get huge in. To this we say THANK YOU!

Very true Juggernaut. However, I think I am going to follow a powerlifting routine for a bit that calls for leg/lower back (read deads) on Thursday. This will give me chest/shoulders on Monday.
The change up is for the best, as my legs are growing like weeds and I actually had a pair of jeans not fit me because of it.
Now to rip shirts because of the size of my chest..................

JUGGERNAUT
03-03-09, 12:26 pm
Very true Juggernaut. However, I think I am going to follow a powerlifting routine for a bit that calls for leg/lower back (read deads) on Thursday. This will give me chest/shoulders on Monday.
The change up is for the best, as my legs are growing like weeds and I actually had a pair of jeans not fit me because of it.
Now to rip shirts because of the size of my chest..................

Bustin outa shit nice!

wedge
03-04-09, 12:24 pm
Bustin outa shit nice!

Doing my best to get there. Put up the 110 pound dumbbells for 3 yesterday. Wanted to go for one or two with the 120 lbers, but my wrist was acting up and I still had a bit to go in my workout.

Picked up a new routine from Prowrestler. It's a powerlifting format and should be interesting.

wedge
03-05-09, 3:13 pm
The new program I am working with calls for squats and deads tonight. Though I will likely spend the night in traction, I am REALLY looking forward to this. It's been going through my mind all day!
-What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!!!

machineman
03-05-09, 4:40 pm
The new program I am working with calls for squats and deads tonight. Though I will likely spend the night in traction, I am REALLY looking forward to this. It's been going through my mind all day!
-What doesn't kill me makes me stronger!!!

go get some!! have a great night and I look forward to seeing how it went....

wedge
03-05-09, 8:09 pm
go get some!! have a great night and I look forward to seeing how it went....

Thanks bro.

First time ever doing box squats. Form was most likely horrible.
Bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 3 (could have had 4, but didn't push hard enough)
185 x 10
185 x 10

Standing hamstring curls (one leg)
50 x 10
70 x 10
100 x 6

Deadlift
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1
425 x fail
425 x fail

I'm pissed off about the deadlifts, but I keep trying to tell myself that squats and deads on the same day is crazy in itself. Next time!

wedge
03-06-09, 10:03 am
Only a bit of soreness in my quads after doubling up on squats and deads yesterday. Wrists are sore though. Not really sure why.

NJC_Manhattan
03-06-09, 11:08 am
Thanks bro.

First time ever doing box squats. Form was most likely horrible.
Bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 8
275 x 3 (could have had 4, but didn't push hard enough)
185 x 10
185 x 10

Standing hamstring curls (one leg)
50 x 10
70 x 10
100 x 6

Deadlift
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 4
315 x 1
425 x fail
425 x fail

I'm pissed off about the deadlifts, but I keep trying to tell myself that squats and deads on the same day is crazy in itself. Next time!

Keep it up! squats and deads same day is rough my man! good work

wedge
03-09-09, 2:35 pm
Keep it up! squats and deads same day is rough my man! good work

It is a bit rough, but I enjoyed it. Helped to keep my lower back in check.

Battling a pretty good cold right now. Debating if I want to go to the gym or not. Today could be my rest day (normally Wed.) or I could gut it out. I'll see how I feel in a few hours. Benching while nautious is probably not the best idea.

wedge
03-09-09, 7:55 pm
Hadn't felt right all day. Was sick through most of the day, and after a lengthy debate in my head, decided to go to the gym anyway. Figured I could lay down and be sick after the gym as good as I could if I didn't go.
Anyway, damn glad I did go. I put up the 110 lbers for 6! Felt like I could have had more, but I was going in the 3-6 range, per my routine.

DANO
03-09-09, 8:02 pm
Sometimes when you feel the worst you do the best... go figure.

wedge
03-10-09, 9:35 am
Sometimes when you feel the worst you do the best... go figure.

I hear ya man. It seems all my significant PRs have come when I severely doubted if I should/would go to the gym.
I normally go to the gym for six, start getting ready at five. On cue yesterday, at five, my body suddenly felt better. I say suddenly because I felt like crap and then, like a light switch, instantly felt better. I took that as a sign that I needed to get my ass to the gym.

wedge
03-11-09, 1:39 pm
Rest days get me down. I've had two good workouts this week and today is a scheduled rest day, but I still feel like hitting up the gym. Going to have to force myself to stay home and rest though. Still dealing with a cold.

DANO
03-11-09, 1:57 pm
Rest days get me down. I've had two good workouts this week and today is a scheduled rest day, but I still feel like hitting up the gym. Going to have to force myself to stay home and rest though. Still dealing with a cold.

Let me guess you get stir-crazy about the time you go to the gym.
I hit the gym on my lunch, so when something happens at work and I don't get over there
MAN is my day shot!

wedge
03-11-09, 2:02 pm
Let me guess you get stir-crazy about the time you go to the gym.
I hit the gym on my lunch, so when something happens at work and I don't get over there
MAN is my day shot!

Definitely a bit crazy around gym time. As I noted in an earlier post, I've been battling a cold and at the time I'd start getting ready for the gym, I felt better. Guess I'm trained.
I hear ya on a shot day. Had a few where I was all set to go, but then things came up. Really is a letdown.

DANO
03-11-09, 2:16 pm
No, I ment even on a rest day, your body still wants to "push big weight"

wedge
03-11-09, 5:22 pm
No, I ment even on a rest day, your body still wants to "push big weight"

Ah. I agree.

DANO
03-11-09, 5:38 pm
425's sister 435 is just as dirty but NOT easy brother! damn, I almost had it too!

wedge
03-17-09, 6:58 pm
425's sister 435 is just as dirty but NOT easy brother! damn, I almost had it too!

If it was easy, everyone would being doing it Dano! You got that shit!

Been a rough few days. Found out late Sunday that a good friend of mine from college past. He was only 26 and was the one who got me into this game and taught me basic supplementation, especially protein.
Found out yesterday that I essentially have the flu. Have to take a few more days off of the gym.
Silver lining-I'm losing a few pounds, mostly around my waist. Come to find out, I do have abs!

DANO
03-17-09, 7:07 pm
Sounds like you are on the right track!, again sorry for your loss my friend, times like that can be hard. get well, and I'll race you to a 450 DL!!

machineman
03-17-09, 7:28 pm
Sounds like you are on the right track!, again sorry for your loss my friend, times like that can be hard. get well, and I'll race you to a 450 DL!!

oooh, oooh, me too!!!! Dano, you and I can race to 450 then when wedge gets back up to par, he will get that same amount of time.....whatcha think?

DANO
03-17-09, 7:29 pm
oooh, oooh, me too!!!! Dano, you and I can race to 450 then when wedge gets back up to par, he will get that same amount of time.....whatcha think?

IN IT TO WIN IT!

machineman
03-17-09, 7:31 pm
IN IT TO WIN IT!

I knew that! how about you wedge, you want to play....since this is your thread after all!

wedge
03-18-09, 11:46 am
IN IT TO WIN IT!

I knew that! how about you wedge, you want to play....since this is your thread after all!

I'm all in. Let's do this!
I'm getting my diet back on track and Monday is looking more and more like a go for a return to the gym.
I'll see you guys at 450!

DANO
03-18-09, 11:52 am
ATTA BOY! let's do this

wedge
03-18-09, 12:15 pm
ATTA BOY! let's do this

The wheels are in motion.

DANO
03-18-09, 12:23 pm
The wheels are in motion.

The Wheels AND Back are in motion! hahaha

wedge
03-18-09, 12:30 pm
The Wheels AND Back are in motion! hahaha

I can't wait to get BACK into the game!

wedge
03-18-09, 12:50 pm
All of this talk of 450 deads is causing me to go stir crazy! How much longer until I can get back into the gym, without hurting myself more in the long run, again!

DANO
03-18-09, 1:06 pm
All of this talk of 450 deads is causing me to go stir crazy! How much longer until I can get back into the gym, without hurting myself more in the long run, again!

The wait will make it all the sweeter!!

DANO
03-18-09, 3:42 pm
Time to walk over to the gym, eat a poptart, and do some pulling!

wedge
03-18-09, 3:47 pm
The wait will make it all the sweeter!!

I'm going to be like a kid going into Willy Wonka's candy factory next week. Believe that!

Time to walk over to the gym, eat a poptart, and do some pulling!

I'm starting to think that poptarts are a not so secret supplement around here.....u Wides, Juggs......

DANO
03-18-09, 3:51 pm
The poptart seems to be the 5th food group! I wonder when Juggs is going to push Universal to market thier own line, with a big A logo on the frosting!! haha

wedge
03-18-09, 6:31 pm
I think I will break bread (read Poptart) before I start lifting next week!

DANO
03-18-09, 6:44 pm
Well, I played around with 375 dl for reps today, already getting amped up to "distance" train with you guys!

wedge
03-18-09, 9:04 pm
Well, I played around with 375 dl for reps today, already getting amped up to "distance" train with you guys!

I'm looking to pick up a lot of heavy shit off of the floor in the coming weeks.
Good job with the 375 for reps. How many did you get?

DANO
03-19-09, 11:58 am
one set of 4, one set of 2, one set of 0! hahaha!
feeling good today!

machineman
03-19-09, 12:27 pm
feeling good today!

good shit, DANO....

wedge
03-19-09, 1:09 pm
feeling good today!

Way to push yourself brother. Looking good.

DANO
03-19-09, 1:29 pm
Way to push yourself brother. Looking good.

Thanks, I was so amped up for the dl's yesterday, I spent almost 30 min on them alone!

wedge
03-19-09, 1:34 pm
Thanks, I was so amped up for the dl's yesterday, I spent almost 30 min on them alone!

That's a normal back day for me.

DANO
03-19-09, 1:52 pm
That's a normal back day for me.

Concidering I only have an hour to hit it, usually I only put 3 sets in. yesterday I did 6!
I normally spend over 30min in squat rack tho!!

wedge
03-20-09, 10:11 am
Concidering I only have an hour to hit it, usually I only put 3 sets in. yesterday I did 6!
I normally spend over 30min in squat rack tho!!

I'm still impressed that you do all your lifting on your lunch break bro. That right there is dedication. My hat's off to you.

DANO
03-20-09, 12:00 pm
I'm still impressed that you do all your lifting on your lunch break bro. That right there is dedication. My hat's off to you.

Not so hard of a choice. Sit in the lunch room with a bunch of whiners, or walk my happy ass across the street and lift.. hmmm, what to do???

machineman
03-20-09, 12:02 pm
Not so hard of a choice. Sit in the lunch room with a bunch of whiners, or walk my happy ass across the street and lift.. hmmm, what to do???

fukin walk it is!!! I sit down at the comp...usually it is the first time I have had a chance to sit all morning.....which starts at 2:30am....

DANO
03-20-09, 12:24 pm
fukin walk it is!!! I sit down at the comp...usually it is the first time I have had a chance to sit all morning.....which starts at 2:30am....

2:30 sounds brutal. I am using my computer all day soooo, I just keep the FORVM silently running in the background!!

wedge
03-20-09, 12:26 pm
2:30 sounds brutal. I am using my computer all day soooo, I just keep the FORVM silently running in the background!!

I'm a newspaper editor, so I am sitting in front of my computer all day long. I also have the FORVM running or downsized. This week it is alongside the NCAA tourney..........

But still, hats off to you DANO. I would also take your choice to work out during lunch break (if I really had one). But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate your dedication.

machineman
03-20-09, 12:27 pm

it is when I deal with my bouts of insomnia....last night I never fell asleep til about 11:30....and to top it off, we are working 11 hour days and 8 on Saturday....but, I am happy that I still have a job....so no bitching there.....

DANO
03-20-09, 12:28 pm
Thanks man.

wedge
03-20-09, 12:43 pm
it is when I deal with my bouts of insomnia....last night I never fell asleep til about 11:30....and to top it off, we are working 11 hour days and 8 on Saturday....but, I am happy that I still have a job....so no bitching there.....

11 hour days and still getting into the gym. That's true Animal right there.

With you and DANO, sounds like I have two solid brothers to take a journey with. Thank you again for including me.

DANO
03-20-09, 12:48 pm
11 hour days and still getting into the gym. That's true Animal right there.

With you and DANO, sounds like I have two solid brothers to take a journey with. Thank you again for including me.

I am sure you are being humble with your own stuff man. This will be FUN!

wedge
03-20-09, 1:05 pm
I am sure you are being humble with your own stuff man. This will be FUN!

Oh, I've got my issues, but I'm the kind of guy who gives credit where it is due.
I'm thinking of returning to the gym Sunday, sinus pressure and all, because I have to work most of the day and night Monday now. Looking forward to this journey and hopefully representing myself well.

DANO
03-20-09, 1:10 pm
What's funny is that in your "opening statement" I could almost copy that for what my young life was. Interesting......

wedge
03-20-09, 1:54 pm
What's funny is that in your "opening statement" I could almost copy that for what my young life was. Interesting......

Sounds like we have/had a good head on our shoulders.

DANO
03-20-09, 3:06 pm
This is going to be a fun run, you two both sound like solid guys.. Like I said I am amped to do this thing! I am actually looking at trying to train my back 2 days per week! I just have to figure out a good split........

machineman
03-20-09, 3:20 pm
This is going to be a fun run, you two both sound like solid guys.. Like I said I am amped to do this thing! I am actually looking at trying to train my back 2 days per week! I just have to figure out a good split........

I have to say the same about 2 guys as well.....this is definitely gonna be a fun ride....where will it end? who knows....and who cares...it is all about the JOURNEY! couldn't ask for better company, either.....

DANO
03-20-09, 3:33 pm
I just had a flash of the movie "Three Amigos" run through my head!

wedge
03-20-09, 3:52 pm

The split I was using prior to getting sick had me doing back twice a week. First up was upper back, with a lot of rows, pull ups, etc. Day two had deads lined up with squats. Tough as hell sure, but saves your lower back, at least in my case.

wedge
03-20-09, 3:53 pm
I have to say the same about 2 guys as well.....this is definitely gonna be a fun ride....where will it end? who knows....and who cares...it is all about the JOURNEY! couldn't ask for better company, either.....

We already know what the destination is-450 off of the ground with ease! Now how we get there will be the fun part.

DANO
03-20-09, 4:40 pm
The split I was using prior to getting sick had me doing back twice a week. First up was upper back, with a lot of rows, pull ups, etc. Day two had deads lined up with squats. Tough as hell sure, but saves your lower back, at least in my case.

I'll try that. That would make 2 exersises for that work-out day! perfect.

DANO
03-20-09, 8:33 pm
Have fun on Sunday. Enjoy the weekend bro!

machineman
03-21-09, 4:27 am
We already know what the destination is-450 off of the ground with ease! Now how we get there will be the fun part.

ah, but is that the true destination? what comes after 450?? that is the question!! 450 is just the first stop on a cross country journey.....

wedge
03-21-09, 11:44 am
Have fun on Sunday. Enjoy the weekend bro!

I couldn't wait. Am going to the gym in about half hour, after the creatine works its way through my body. Still a bit stuffy, but fuck, what is another half day or so going to do to change that?
Chest and shoulders baby!

ah, but is that the true destination? what comes after 450?? that is the question!! 450 is just the first stop on a cross country journey.....

Very true MM. But it's easier to break things down into smaller goals. We get to 450, take a look around, say hi, then move onto 475, 500............................

wedge
03-21-09, 1:19 pm
Returned to the gym today after a lengthy absence with the flu. Found out the gym is like an old friend who you are very close to. You may not see each other for a long while, but when you do, you pick right up without missing a beat.

Today's workout is dedicated to the memory of Johnny "Freakzilla" Vastola. We'll meet again in God's weight room brother.

Barbell Chest Press
30 x 15
50 x 12
70 x 10
90 x 10-New PR

Incline Barbell
40 x 15
60 x 12
70 x 7
70 x 8

Pec Deck
140 x 15
175 x 10
225 x 4

Strict Press
Bar x 15
95 x 10
115 x 6

Machine Butterfly
50 x 15
70 x 12
90 x 10

Shrugs
180 x 10
180 x 10
270 x 10

Started to die during strict press, that's why the weights are so low. Feel so rundown now after the workout. It's a combo of just getting over being sick and getting back into the game.

God damn it felt good to return home!

DANO
03-23-09, 11:11 am
Welcome back!

wedge
03-23-09, 2:43 pm
Welcome back!

Definitely feels good. Tomorrow I get to get BACK into it!

DANO
03-23-09, 3:13 pm
Definitely feels good. Tomorrow I get to get BACK into it!

I am going to try and get BACK 2 LEGS (get it) aka:The Death Superset today @ lunch.

DANO
03-23-09, 5:20 pm
Damn "meetings" couldn't get over at lunch, tomorrow WILL be the deathsuperset day!

wedge
03-24-09, 10:20 am
Damn "meetings" couldn't get over at lunch, tomorrow WILL be the deathsuperset day!

By death superset, I am assuming you're talking about deads and squats. They're on my agenda today. I've been dreaming about them since yesterday. First thought this morning-I get to deadlift this evening.
Universal sent me a Intra Aid sample. Plan on using it today. Can't wait to give it a go.

DANO
03-24-09, 11:37 am
you assume correctly. Let me know how the Intra-aid works out for you.

machineman
03-24-09, 12:06 pm
I tried intra-aid at our ABC and I loved guys....

wedge
03-24-09, 1:21 pm
you assume correctly. Let me know how the Intra-aid works out for you.

Here's to hoping we're both able to move tonight! I plan on box squats. Not as heavy weight, but help me explode up from the bottom.

I tried intra-aid at our ABC and I loved guys....

I've only heard good things about it. Not sure if I am a fan of Blue Raspberry, but Universal was kind enough to send me a sample, so I will enjoy it nonetheless.

DANO
03-24-09, 8:05 pm
Pick that dirty 425 up off the floor man!

wedge
03-25-09, 9:04 am
Pick that dirty 425 up off the floor man!

Today wasn't my day. But, given I was away for a bit, I'm happy with yesterday's session.

Deads:
135 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 6
405 x 1/2
405 x 1
425 x a few inches off of the ground
365 x 1
385 x 1
225 x 6

Box Squats:
Bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 6
275 x 4

Deads are going to require some work to get back to where I was pre-flu, but I believe there is something in the works that will address that. Overall, I would consider this respectable numbers due to a lengthy absence.

DANO
03-25-09, 11:54 am
I was the same with the 425, but I wasn't sick. Now I am going to HAVE to pull the 425 on fri. just to keep face!

wedge
03-25-09, 12:35 pm
I was the same with the 425, but I wasn't sick. Now I am going to HAVE to pull the 425 on fri. just to keep face!

Don't worry about keeping face bro. I thought I was going to die with the second attempt at 405. Deadlifts probably aren't the best exercise to get back into by jumping into the deep end.

DANO
03-25-09, 12:49 pm
Sink or swim! haha.

wedge
03-25-09, 3:00 pm
Sink or swim! haha.

Since I swim like a lead stone, I may be trouble. I'll just have to do some more deadlifts so I can back my way out.

DANO
03-25-09, 3:19 pm
well played "back" out...very good!

wedge
03-25-09, 6:31 pm
well played "back" out...very good!

I have a good one every once and a while.

wedge
03-26-09, 12:04 pm
Back is still sore two days after deads. That is a good sign. Shows I worked. Felt the squats this morning when I got up out of bed.
Upper back tomorrow then arms at our ABC Saturday. Can't wait!

machineman
03-26-09, 12:28 pm
tick...tock...tick....tock!!!!!

wedge
03-26-09, 2:42 pm
tick...tock...tick....tock!!!!!

It's about to be set off................

wedge
03-27-09, 10:30 am
The clock is showing triple 0s. It is time to set it off.
Dano, MachineMan and myself are taking a journey. We're bringing our lunch pails and staring down 450 on the deadlift.
Looking forward to this!

DANO
03-27-09, 11:37 am
Here We Go!!

wedge
03-27-09, 12:08 pm
Here We Go!!

The gauntlet has been laid down. Let the journey begin!

DANO
03-27-09, 12:36 pm
The gauntlet has been laid down. Let the journey begin!

The clarion call is fading in the distance, as the calvery (of three) charges onto the battlefield!

wedge
03-27-09, 6:30 pm
Just working up a pump today. Have an ABC tomorrow that I plan on going all out for on arms.

Upper back workout
Tried to be like Thraw...laying iso rows....4 sets of 25 with 45 lb plate
Damn thing felt like a thousand pounds by the end of the sets.

One arm row-4 sets of 60 x 10

Cable Row/ Face Pull superset
100 x 10 40 x 10
140 x 10 50 x 10
180 x 10 60 x 10
200 x 10 70 x 10

Machine iso high row
40 x 10
50 x 10
70 x 10

Back was real pumped after. Felt like I had to turn sideways to go through doors.

DANO
03-27-09, 6:46 pm
don't ya love it!

wedge
03-27-09, 8:23 pm
don't ya love it!

Best feeling in the world. There is nothing like an honest, hard days work.

wedge
03-30-09, 10:15 am
Officially start the new Journey with Machineman and Dano today. The road to a 450 deadlift.

For this journey, with the help of Young&Hungry, Shizz and a few others, I've put together a new routine.
Monday-Back/Bis
Deads-Rep scheme changes depending on if I am doing heavy singles that day
Lat pull down- 3 x 10-12
One arm row/ Face pull superset- 3 x 6-8
Good mornings- 4 x 10-12
superset two bicep excercises

Tuesday-Rest

Wednesday-Chest/Shoulders/Tris
Dumbbell press-Work up weight until I can't do more than six
Incline dumbbell press- 4 x 10-12
Pec Deck- 4 x 10-12
Strict Press- 4 x 3-12
Heavy shrugs/ lat raise superset 4 x 10
Superset two tricep exercises

Thursday-Rest

Friday-Legs
Box squats- excessive sets
Zurchers- 4 x 6-12
superset two hamstring excercises, heavy 4 x 4-12
Calf raises- 4 x 10-15

DANO
03-30-09, 12:37 pm
Today is a DL day. happy times to follow!

wedge
03-30-09, 2:45 pm
Today is a DL day. happy times to follow!

Looking forward to what you pulled bro.

wedge
03-30-09, 8:29 pm
Here's today's workout.

Monday-Back/Bis
Deads-135 x 10, 225 x 6 315 x 1 (straps), 365 x 1 (straps), 420 x fail (straps), 420 x fail (straps), 420 x 1?*PR (no straps), 365 x 1 (no straps), 365 x 1 (no straps)

Lat pull down- 70 x 12, 100 x 12, 120 x 7

One arm row/ Face pull superset- 120 x 8/ 30 x 12, 120 x 8/ 100 x 10, 120 x 8/120 x 7

Good mornings**- Bar x 12, 95 x 12, 135 x 10, 185 x 6

superset two bicep exercises-Preacher/standing curls-70 x 12/25 x 6, 100 x 10, 25 x 7, 125 x 6, 20 x repped out.

*Got 420 up to lockout position, but honestly am not sure if I fully locked it out, as I was dying. If it's possible, I locked out my left side, but not my right, which was like an inch or so away. For now, I'll label this as a 95 percent PR.
Got sick of the straps, they felt awkward in my hands. Apparently they are a crutch and I did just fine without them.

**First time really doing good mornings. Worried more about keeping my head than weight. Did move up once I had proper form.

wedge
03-31-09, 9:57 am
Back is a little sore. Nothing out of the ordinary. I am not really sure why everyone is advising me not to do good mornings if I am pulling off of the floor. So far so good with both and I can't really think of a good way to add mass to my lower back beyond these two exercises. My gym just does not have the equipment.

DANO
03-31-09, 11:56 am
Back is a little sore. Nothing out of the ordinary. I am not really sure why everyone is advising me not to do good mornings if I am pulling off of the floor. So far so good with both and I can't really think of a good way to add mass to my lower back beyond these two exercises. My gym just does not have the equipment.

I think people just don't know how sick a man you really are. I mean deadlifts and squats in the same run is a chore for most humans, and you nail it out with no problem, so what are good mornings/deadlifts.

wedge
03-31-09, 1:36 pm
I think people just don't know how sick a man you really are. I mean deadlifts and squats in the same run is a chore for most humans, and you nail it out with no problem, so what are good mornings/deadlifts.

Thanks DANO. Maybe I am a sick man, or maybe I am just too stupid to realize that doing so may have a negative effect. Either way it's working for me and I like to refer to it as simply, putting the work in.

DANO
03-31-09, 2:13 pm
Thanks DANO. Maybe I am a sick man, or maybe I am just too stupid to realize that doing so may have a negative effect. Either way it's working for me and I like to refer to it as simply, putting the work in.

You know, I think that if it works for you then do it. So many people stick to the same thing that doesn't work, but they read it in some magizine so it HAS to work, right?

DANO
04-01-09, 11:46 am
So what's on tap for today wedgeinator?

wedge
04-01-09, 1:44 pm
You know, I think that if it works for you then do it. So many people stick to the same thing that doesn't work, but they read it in some magizine so it HAS to work, right?

Wait. You mean I can't do Arnold's routine to the letter and look like him in a few short weeks? Uh-oh.

So what's on tap for today wedgeinator?

Here's whats on tap bro. T-minus 4.5 hours.
Dumbbell press-Work up weight until I can't do more than six
Incline dumbbell press- 4 x 10-12
Pec Deck- 4 x 10-12
Strict Press- 4 x 3-12
Heavy shrugs/ lat raise superset 4 x 10
Superset two tricep exercises

DANO
04-01-09, 2:56 pm
Do you do your shrugs with db or bb?

wedge
04-01-09, 5:01 pm
Do you do your shrugs with db or bb?

It varies. I've used bb, but my gym has a seated shrug machine (I normally stand in front and use it that way) that you can load with 45's. Since my gym's bb's only go up to 120, I like to use the seated machine to add more weight.

DANO
04-01-09, 5:33 pm
It varies. I've used bb, but my gym has a seated shrug machine (I normally stand in front and use it that way) that you can load with 45's. Since my gym's bb's only go up to 120, I like to use the seated machine to add more weight.

I used to use db's and our "shrug box" at our gym, but I started using bb man, I dig those.

wedge
04-02-09, 12:06 am
I used to use db's and our "shrug box" at our gym, but I started using bb man, I dig those.

A friend showed me a nice little trick with the bb that I like to use time to time.

Today's damage:
Dumbbell press-30 x 12, 50 x 10, 80 x 6, 100 x 6, 120 x 2
Incline dumbbell press- 50 x 12, 60 x 12, 70 x 11, 70 x 10
BB Flys- 30 x 12, 40 x 12, 50 x 12, 60 x 10
Strict Press- 65 x 12, 95 x 10, 135 x 6
Heavy shrugs/ lat raise superset-3 pps x 10/15 x 10, 3 pps/20 x 10
Shrugs by self-3 pps x 10, 3 pps x 10 Lat raise alone-70 x 12, 110 x 10
Superset two tricep exercises-Ext from behind head/pressdowns- 35 x 12/35 x 12, 50 x 10/50 x 10, 75 x 8/5 x 7

DANO
04-02-09, 12:28 pm
A friend showed me a nice little trick with the bb that I like to use time to time.

Today's damage:
Dumbbell press-30 x 12, 50 x 10, 80 x 6, 100 x 6, 120 x 2
Incline dumbbell press- 50 x 12, 60 x 12, 70 x 11, 70 x 10
BB Flys- 30 x 12, 40 x 12, 50 x 12, 60 x 10
Strict Press- 65 x 12, 95 x 10, 135 x 6
Heavy shrugs/ lat raise superset-3 pps x 10/15 x 10, 3 pps/20 x 10
Shrugs by self-3 pps x 10, 3 pps x 10 Lat raise alone-70 x 12, 110 x 10
Superset two tricep exercises-Ext from behind head/pressdowns- 35 x 12/35 x 12, 50 x 10/50 x 10, 75 x 8/5 x 7

What's the trick?
Great workout wedge. way to push!
What I like to do with the barbell shrug is to load the bar in the squat rack with 3pps and have it set like a rack pull, then "cheat" it up and do a static hold till fail, then repeat.
feels like my traps hit my ears when I am done!

wedge
04-02-09, 1:34 pm
What's the trick?
Great workout wedge. way to push!
What I like to do with the barbell shrug is to load the bar in the squat rack with 3pps and have it set like a rack pull, then "cheat" it up and do a static hold till fail, then repeat.
feels like my traps hit my ears when I am done!

OK. I'll do my best to describe it, but it's one of the things that works better to show. Essentially, hold the dbs horizontally in front of your quads and then shrug from there. It provides a greater range of motion.
Another good shoulder exercise, that sounds weird, but works, is using the iso lat row. Lower the seat all the way down and it will work your shoulders nicely. I need to add it back into my routine.

Thrawn
04-02-09, 3:33 pm
You will get boulders for shoulders, Wedge! Outstanding work, pounding them into submission!

wedge
04-02-09, 3:51 pm
You will get boulders for shoulders, Wedge! Outstanding work, pounding them into submission!

That's the plan Thrawn. I think I've fallen in love with the strict press.

Thrawn
04-02-09, 4:04 pm
That's the plan Thrawn. I think I've fallen in love with the strict press.

You cannot go wrong with that love, brother!
For me it seems to work better if i do more dynamic shoulder work. PUSH presses. H-Rolls. I have much better focus with those. I ENVY you for your love with the strict press; it is such a GREAT exercise to do.

wedge
04-03-09, 11:06 am
You cannot go wrong with that love, brother!
For me it seems to work better if i do more dynamic shoulder work. PUSH presses. H-Rolls. I have much better focus with those. I ENVY you for your love with the strict press; it is such a GREAT exercise to do.

It took me a while to find her, but it was love at first push.

Have to move tonight's workout to tomorrow. I am part of a CT paranormal research group and we are conducting an overnight investigation at a restaurant in Groton CT. I basically have enough time to go home after work, change and gather my things before I have to meet up with the group.
I will get my work in tomorrow though. Looking forward to some box squats.

machineman
04-03-09, 12:06 pm
It took me a while to find her, but it was love at first push.

Have to move tonight's workout to tomorrow. I am part of a CT paranormal research group and we are conducting an overnight investigation at a restaurant in Groton CT. I basically have enough time to go home after work, change and gather my things before I have to meet up with the group.
I will get my work in tomorrow though. Looking forward to some box squats.

great job on the presses....i have a love hate relationship with them! love to do them, but hate that I am stuck at a certain weight.....that is when I started the push press.....get to push more weight and break through my strict press plateau....

is your group anyone that we have heard of before? the mrs and I watch those shows all the time!

wedge
04-03-09, 1:25 pm
great job on the presses....i have a love hate relationship with them! love to do them, but hate that I am stuck at a certain weight.....that is when I started the push press.....get to push more weight and break through my strict press plateau....

is your group anyone that we have heard of before? the mrs and I watch those shows all the time!

The group I am involved with is CPEAR (CPEARgroup.com) CT Paranormal Encounters and Research. We're not on TV yet, but our investigations go like the ones you would see on Ghosthunters on Sci-Fi.

wedge
04-06-09, 9:34 am
Had a rough leg outing on Saturday. Due to the CPEAR investigation, I was up for 23 hours straight. Got home Sat. morning at 7 a.m. Slept until noon and was at the gym for 1. Thank god for preworkout supps.

Leg Ext. (Warmup)-50 x 12, 100 x 12, 150 x 6, 150 x 6
Squats- Bar x 12, 135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 6, 275 x 6, 275 x 6
Zerchers-95 x 10, 135 x 8 started to die out here, switched to leg press to finish off- Leg press-4 pps x 10, 5 pps x 10
Hamstring curls-100 x 10, 150 x 6, 155 x 6
Calf raises (on leg press machine)-200 x 30, 300 x 20, 400 x 15

Good pump, legs hurt through Sunday. Wasn't happy with the weights/reps, but given the lack of sleep beforehand, I'll consider it a victory that I still went.

machineman
04-06-09, 12:00 pm
Had a rough leg outing on Saturday. Due to the CPEAR investigation, I was up for 23 hours straight. Got home Sat. morning at 7 a.m. Slept until noon and was at the gym for 1. Thank god for preworkout supps.

Leg Ext. (Warmup)-50 x 12, 100 x 12, 150 x 6, 150 x 6
Squats- Bar x 12, 135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 6, 275 x 6, 275 x 6
Zerchers-95 x 10, 135 x 8 started to die out here, switched to leg press to finish off- Leg press-4 pps x 10, 5 pps x 10
Hamstring curls-100 x 10, 150 x 6, 155 x 6
Calf raises (on leg press machine)-200 x 30, 300 x 20, 400 x 15

Good pump, legs hurt through Sunday. Wasn't happy with the weights/reps, but given the lack of sleep beforehand, I'll consider it a victory that I still went.

good work for no rest, wedge.....way to get in and get some work done....

wedge
04-06-09, 1:03 pm
good work for no rest, wedge.....way to get in and get some work done....

Thanks. No excuses.

DANO
04-06-09, 1:17 pm
No rest for the wicked! good work man.

wedge
04-06-09, 1:38 pm
No rest for the wicked! good work man.

I'm trying to keep up with you and MM! I can rest when I'm dead.

DANO
04-06-09, 2:29 pm
I'm trying to keep up with you and MM! I can rest when I'm dead.

Are you sure about the rest when you are dead???? after all, that would put you out of a second job!

wedge
04-06-09, 3:13 pm
Are you sure about the rest when you are dead???? after all, that would put you out of a second job!

G'point. Also, I could come back as a zombie.

wedge
04-06-09, 8:33 pm
Monday-Back/Bis

Things were a bit off/ran a little longer than normal due to a busy gym and everyone seemingly on whatever equipment I needed at the time.
Didn't do biceps after due to time. Figured hit 'em enough during the back workout.

Deads-135 x 6, 225 x 4, 275 x 1 , 315 x 1 , 365 x 1, 405 x 1, 275 x 5, 135 x 10

Lat pull down- 60 x 12, 120 x 10, 140 x 7

Machine row-70 x 12, 100 x 10, 120 x 6

Good mornings- 95x 10, 135 x 10 185 x 10, 225 x 6-New PR

Face pulls-60 x 10, 100 x 10, 140 x 10

Ab routine.

DANO
04-07-09, 12:13 pm
Don't you hate a busy gym, I am so spoiled, usualy there is only one or two olher people in the gym when I am there!

wedge
04-07-09, 12:17 pm
Don't you hate a busy gym, I am so spoiled, usualy there is only one or two olher people in the gym when I am there!

My gym has a few branches in my area. The one I went to is normally very busy, but they have a box that I wanted to try out for deads. It ended up being too high, i my opinion.
The other branch, closer to my house, is less crowded. I think myself and only like three other guys know how to use the squat rack, so it is always open. Gotta love it.

Thrawn
04-08-09, 6:26 am
Keep adding plates, Wedge!! Excellent workouts!

wedge
04-08-09, 9:09 am
Keep adding plates, Wedge!! Excellent workouts!

Thanks Thrawn. Appreciate the support.

Lower back tightened up during a walk/slight run with the fiance last night. Could definitely tell that I had done a great back session the day before.
On the plus side, she took me to the grocery store after and bought me all kinds of goodies-beef, eggs, rice, etc.

DANO
04-08-09, 12:26 pm
Thanks Thrawn. Appreciate the support.

Lower back tightened up during a walk/slight run with the fiance last night. Could definitely tell that I had done a great back session the day before.
On the plus side, she took me to the grocery store after and bought me all kinds of goodies-beef, eggs, rice, etc.

I know the feeling, I have a calf at home that I have to bottle feed, and bending over for the time he takes to feed, man It gets hard to straighten up!! (in a good way tho..)

wedge
04-08-09, 8:26 pm
Dumbbell press-30 x 12, 50 x 10, 80 x 6, 100 x 6, 120 x 1 (went up and down in nice controlled fashion.)
Incline barbell press- 95 x 12, 135 x 10, 155 x 8, 205 x 2-PR
Pec Deck- 130 x 12, 205 x 10, 245 x 6, 245 x 5
Military Press (racks were full, couldn't do strict press)- 95 x 12, 135 x 6, 145 x 4, 150 x 2
Lat raises (machine, holding a second at top)-90 x 10, 100 x 10, 110 x 10
Heavy shrugs-2 pps x 10, 3 pps x 10, 4 pps x 6, 4 pps x 6

Ab routine.

DANO
04-09-09, 11:34 am
Dumbbell press-30 x 12, 50 x 10, 80 x 6, 100 x 6, 120 x 1 (went up and down in nice controlled fashion.)
Military Press (racks were full, couldn't do strict press)- 95 x 12, 135 x 6, 145 x 4, 150 x 2

Ab routine.

Great work there wedge, PR's just keep popping up huh?

machineman
04-09-09, 11:53 am

Ab routine.

great looking workout, bro.....some nice PR's too...

wedge
04-09-09, 11:55 am
Great work there wedge, PR's just keep popping up huh?

Yeah, it's amazing. The more you bust your ass, the more times those two letters make an appearance.

machineman
04-09-09, 11:58 am
Yeah, it's amazing. The more you bust your ass, the more times those two letters make an appearance.

or the more pissed at the iron you get!! either way...it pays off in the end...

wedge
04-09-09, 12:12 pm
great looking workout, bro.....some nice PR's too...

Thanks MM. I'm loving this split that I've put together to chase down 450, but I'm thinking of stream lining it a bit more.

or the more pissed at the iron you get!! either way...it pays off in the end...

Tomorrow I will be pissed off at the weight. Since I've been following yours, Juggs, taxation and other journey's I have determined my squat is inadequate. I've put 405 in the hole last Oct., but since then have been a bitch. Seeing you guys put up 300+ for 10 reps has got me inspired. Squat day tomorrow.

machineman
04-09-09, 12:25 pm
Thanks MM. I'm loving this split that I've put together to chase down 450, but I'm thinking of stream lining it a bit more.

Tomorrow I will be pissed off at the weight. Since I've been following yours, Juggs, taxation and other journey's I have determined my squat is inadequate. I've put 405 in the hole last Oct., but since then have been a bitch. Seeing you guys put up 300+ for 10 reps has got me inspired. Squat day tomorrow.

don't worry bro....since the hip thing, I am going to switch up to leg press for awhile...I have been squating since August with no real break from it....I need to switch it up for awhile...I don't know if that is what aggrevated it or not....but need some new growth on these chicken legs!!

DANO
04-09-09, 12:26 pm

Good, Do it, DO IT NOW. (using Arnold voice)

wedge
04-09-09, 2:14 pm
don't worry bro....since the hip thing, I am going to switch up to leg press for awhile...I have been squating since August with no real break from it....I need to switch it up for awhile...I don't know if that is what aggrevated it or not....but need some new growth on these chicken legs!!

Been there done that. I had knee issues and felt as if I couldn't/shouldn't squat. Ended up proving that false, but I spent a lot of time doing leg presses. Did 5 x 5 and got the lbs up there.

Good, Do it, DO IT NOW. (using Arnold voice)

Yes sir!

wedge
04-10-09, 6:09 pm
Here's the results of a nice, short leg workout.

Squats:
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 10-New PR
225 x 20-New PR

Hammy Curls:
90 x 10
110 x 10
140 x 5
140 x 8

Calves (leg press):
200 x 40
300 x 30
400 x 25

DANO
04-10-09, 6:17 pm

Squats:
Bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 10-New PR
225 x 20-New PR

Hammy Curls:
90 x 10
110 x 10
140 x 5
140 x 8

Calves (leg press):
200 x 40
300 x 30
400 x 25

I could make a joke, but I won't... Great job on reppin' it out bro. you should be feeling that already, tomorrow will be fun!

wedge
04-10-09, 6:22 pm
I could make a joke, but I won't... Great job on reppin' it out bro. you should be feeling that already, tomorrow will be fun!

Feel free to joke. It was quite comical how I fell down after racking the last rep on 225.

DANO
04-10-09, 6:42 pm

OK you asked for it.
Can you do any thing but a "short" leg workout?? hahaha

Feel free to joke. It was quite comical how I fell down after racking the last rep on 225.

I'm sure you did. thats ANIMAL bro!

Thrawn
04-11-09, 11:52 am
Outstanding work on the wheels, brother Wedge!!
225 x 20... and you call me a 'repping fool?' LOL =)

wedge
04-11-09, 3:11 pm
OK you asked for it.
Can you do any thing but a "short" leg workout?? hahaha

I'm sure you did. thats ANIMAL bro!

Short and sweet baby, short and sweet.

Outstanding work on the wheels, brother Wedge!!
225 x 20... and you call me a 'repping fool?' LOL =)

I see you pushing around cars and shit Thrawn. Figured if that's what reppin out will do for you, sign me up!

Thrawn
04-12-09, 4:17 am
I see you pushing around cars and shit Thrawn. Figured if that's what reppin out will do for you, sign me up!

Lol =)) I can only hope that one day we will be pushing cars side by side, Wedge. Or taking turns ripping slag iron of the ground. THAT would be awesome.

wedge
04-12-09, 11:59 am
Lol =)) I can only hope that one day we will be pushing cars side by side, Wedge. Or taking turns ripping slag iron of the ground. THAT would be awesome.

If i ever make it across the pond I am giving you full permission to attempt to kill me in the gym.

DANO
04-13-09, 1:16 pm
If i ever make it across the pond I am giving you full permission to attempt to kill me in the gym.

And if you get across the country, you can try to kick my ass bro!!

wedge
04-13-09, 1:19 pm
And if you get across the country, you can try to kick my ass bro!!

It'd be an honor to sling some weight with Dano, MM or Thrawn, Shizz, ProWrestler, Juggs...............................

DANO
04-13-09, 1:43 pm
Yes it would, and have a big ol' bbq with some of my Dad's home grown beef when it is all done THAT would be an ABC!!!

wedge
04-13-09, 2:56 pm
Yes it would, and have a big ol' bbq with some of my Dad's home grown beef when it is all done THAT would be an ABC!!!

What part of the country are you from Dano? I'm sure I was told before, but I can't remember.

DANO
04-13-09, 2:58 pm
What part of the country are you from Dano? I'm sure I was told before, but I can't remember.

California, at the Oregon border... Ever hear of Mt. Shasta? I am about 30 min north.

wedge
04-13-09, 3:13 pm
California, at the Oregon border... Ever hear of Mt. Shasta? I am about 30 min north.

I've always wanted an excuse to go to Cali.

DANO
04-13-09, 3:16 pm
I've always wanted an excuse to go to Cali.

How 'bout 1 1/2" prime, home grown steaks bbq'd to perfection!?!

wedge
04-13-09, 3:22 pm
How 'bout 1 1/2" prime, home grown steaks bbq'd to perfection!?!

My fiance is thinking Florida for our honeymoon, perhaps I could change her mind......since the honeymoon will be the last big vacation I take for a while.

DANO
04-13-09, 3:24 pm
My fiance is thinking Florida for our honeymoon, perhaps I could change her mind......since the honeymoon will be the last big vacation I take for a while.

You know, if I knew how to do it, I'd ship you a couple as a wedding gift.

wedge
04-13-09, 4:21 pm
You know, if I knew how to do it, I'd ship you a couple as a wedding gift.

As awesome as that sounds, I think it would cost a pretty penny. Appreciate the thought though.

wedge
04-13-09, 7:44 pm
Had a shitty dead session, but overall, back was decent today. Going to have to rethink my dead strategy.

Deads-135 x 5, 225 x 4, 315 x 1 , 425 x fail, 425 x fail, 405 x fail, BO-315 x 5

Lat pull down- 70 x 12, 100 x 12, 140 x 12-PR reps/weight

One arm row/face pull- 120 x 8/65 x 10, 120 x 8/120 x 10, 120 x6/140 x 8

Good mornings- 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 225 x 6, 275 x 4-PR

Ez curl machine-110 x 10, 155 x 4, 155 x 5

Run the rack dumbbell curls-40 lbs-20 lbs-a lot of reps

Was suggested this by Y&H for deadlifts:
Week One - 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x max reps
Week Two - 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x max reps
Week Three - 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x max reps
Week Four - you could either work up to 70% for a very easy amount of reps (usually 5 or a little more) or just not pull and do some deload type work
Week Five - restart cycle, but bump off that 1RM we calculated out by 10 pounds

Slow and steady wins the race.

DANO
04-13-09, 8:01 pm
Had a shitty dead session, but overall, back was decent today. Going to have to rethink my dead strategy.

Deads-135 x 5, 225 x 4, 315 x 1 , 425 x fail, 425 x fail, 405 x fail, BO-315 x 5

Week Four - you could either work up to 70% for a very easy amount of reps (usually 5 or a little more) or just not pull and do some deload type work

Even more PR's sneaking in there!

wedge
04-14-09, 9:41 am
Even more PR's sneaking in there!

Yeah, thanks Dano. Still upset about the shitty (literally) showing for deads, but as I noted, I have a plan for them.

machineman
04-14-09, 12:09 pm
It'd be an honor to sling some weight with Dano, MM or Thrawn, Shizz, ProWrestler, Juggs...............................

honor would be all mine, bro.....if we ever get a chance, I would love to sling some iron with you....

you can't win them all, wedge....it may have been an off day, but you still got some good work done....way to push through and make something of it!

wedge
04-14-09, 12:43 pm
honor would be all mine, bro.....if we ever get a chance, I would love to sling some iron with you....

you can't win them all, wedge....it may have been an off day, but you still got some good work done....way to push through and make something of it!

Thanks MM. The PRs afterward was because I was pissed off at the deads. Nature called halfway through my warm up, which I think f'd everything up. No excuses though. Have the new dead routine which is supposed to be good. Obviously I can't just muscle it up, have to ramp up and get there.

DANO
04-14-09, 8:26 pm
Yep, I think I am going to do something like this myself, back off and rep out for a couple of weeks then do a max pull again.

wedge
04-15-09, 9:03 am
Yep, I think I am going to do something like this myself, back off and rep out for a couple of weeks then do a max pull again.

Don't rest too comfortably now that you are in the lead.

wedge
04-15-09, 11:00 am
My 1,000 post on this forum. What does this get me? A sick ass chest/shoulder session at the Southington YMCA after talking with a trainer friend there about his recent strongman contest in NY.
Looking forward to both counts. Bro has held it down in Southington's strength contest the last three years and the YMCA not only allows chalk, but actually provides it for you!

C.Coronato
04-15-09, 11:02 am
the YMCA not only allows chalk, but actually provides it for you!

Gotta love that. DO work son.

DANO
04-15-09, 11:26 am
Don't rest too comfortably now that you are in the lead.

Oh, don't worry, no resting here, just going to gather my energy to blast through another PR.

wedge
04-15-09, 11:27 am
Gotta love that. DO work son.

Got my lunch pail and am looking forward to getting my hands dirty in a few hours Treetrunk.
Thanks for stopping by.

wedge
04-15-09, 11:28 am
Oh, don't worry, no resting here, just going to gather my energy to blast through another PR.

I hear you there. I tried too heavy too soon and as my last back workout showed did nothing but piss myself off.
Slow and steady.....keep repeating it to yourself....

Thrawn
04-15-09, 11:34 am
First of all, one day i WILL be across the pond. I will be my pleasure to rip up slag iron with some of my buddies here.
Second of all: you did WORK, Wedge.
If you have an offday and do nothing, that is a true loss and waste of time.
If you have an offday and still do WORK, you always win. Mentally and physically.
I say you did damn well.

wedge
04-15-09, 11:39 am
First of all, one day i WILL be across the pond. I will be my pleasure to rip up slag iron with some of my buddies here.
Second of all: you did WORK, Wedge.
If you have an offday and do nothing, that is a true loss and waste of time.
If you have an offday and still do WORK, you always win. Mentally and physically.
I say you did damn well.

Very true. Thanks for the support.

wedge
04-15-09, 6:06 pm
Redeemed myself in my eyes today with my chest/shoulders workout.

Incline barbell-30 x 10, 50 x 10, 70 x 6, 80 x 6, 90 x 6, 100 x 5-PR weight/reps

Flat bench barbell-70 x 10, 80 x 10, 90 x 10-PR reps

Strict press- bar x 10, 95 x 10, 135 x 8, 145 x 6

Bar shrugs- 135 x 10, 215 x 6 Didn't like the feel with these. Like the hammer machine at my home gym more.

Side lat raises- 20 x 10, 30 x 8

Tri superset-behind head/press downs-50 x 10/50 x 10, 80 x 10/80 x 10, 120 x 6/ 150 x 6

Ab routine

DANO
04-16-09, 11:55 am
I just love seeing that pesky PR show up in your posts man!! haha. Way to get pissed and come back wedge!

Thrawn
04-16-09, 6:23 pm
BIG redemption, Wedge, and it will turn into PROGRESSION!

wedge
04-17-09, 9:34 am
I just love seeing that pesky PR show up in your posts man!! haha. Way to get pissed and come back wedge!

BIG redemption, Wedge, and it will turn into PROGRESSION!

Thanks guys. It felt great getting those 100s up on incline. Didn't even think about it until I was repping out.

Legs tonight. Been looking at Juggs and Machines journeys recently. Time to step up and be a man. Take my place at the table.

Thrawn
04-17-09, 9:41 am
You go in and DESTROY those wheels! Claim your place at that table!!
*toasting his 1700 cal shake at wedge*

machineman
04-17-09, 9:50 am
Thanks guys. It felt great getting those 100s up on incline. Didn't even think about it until I was repping out.

Legs tonight. Been looking at Juggs and Machines journeys recently. Time to step up and be a man. Take my place at the table.

thanks, wedge....but I feel as though I too am still earning a place at the table...don't think I have gotten there yet....closer perhaps, but NOT belly up!!!

wedge
04-17-09, 10:21 am
You go in and DESTROY those wheels! Claim your place at that table!!
*toasting his 1700 cal shake at wedge*

If all goes well tonight, I to shall be hoisting a 1,500 + cal shake. It'll give me time to sit at the shake bar and rest.

DANO
04-17-09, 11:17 am
thanks, wedge....but I feel as though I too am still earning a place at the table...don't think I have gotten there yet....closer perhaps, but NOT belly up!!!

Hell, most days I feel like I am still trying to get past the bouncer!

machineman
04-17-09, 11:50 am
Hell, most days I feel like I am still trying to get past the bouncer!

haha....I feel like I am still circling the block looking for the damned party!

wedge
04-17-09, 12:38 pm
Our 450 deadlift pulls should get us in the front door.

DANO
04-17-09, 12:41 pm
Our 450 deadlift pulls should get us in the front door.

Or we will just "pull" the rug out from under the basterds blocking the door!

wedge
04-17-09, 1:25 pm
Or we will just "pull" the rug out from under the basterds blocking the door!

Nah, we'll get in on merit.

DANO
04-17-09, 1:30 pm
Nah, we'll get in on merit.

The merit is pulling it from the floor so hard and fast people go flying! hahaha

wedge
04-17-09, 9:35 pm
Knew I would be spending the night in tonight, so I decided to play the volume game with legs. Took a nice hour nap before hand and had my first chocolate Real Gains shake prior to training.

Back Squats- Bar x 10, 135 x 10, 185 x 10, 225 x 10, 275 x 7, 315 x 3

Free motion squat machine (mimics hack squat?)- 250 x 10, 200 x 10, 400 x 6

Machine leg press/leg extensions (used machine because it was next to the extension machine)- 200 x 20/70 x 20, 300 x 15/90 x 15, 400 x 8/ 110 x 10

Laying hamstring curls- 90 x 20, 110 x 15, 125 x 10

Standing hamstring curls, single leg- 50 x 10, 70 x 10, 90 x 6

Seated calf raises- 1pps x 20, 1ppss + 25 lb pps x 10, 1ppss + 25 lb ps x 10

Toe raises on the machine leg press- 300 x 20, 400 x 10

Nice 2,000 calorie shake as I sat at the bar recuperating before driving home.

wedge
04-20-09, 9:27 am
Weighed myself Saturday morning-218. Just 2 lbs under what I was at my heaviest about 1.5 months ago. A flu like virus caused me to lose 6-8 pounds. Slowly gaining it back.

DANO
04-20-09, 11:57 am
Burnt the legs, huh, wedge? Good show! what is YOUR opinion on the Real Gains??

C.Coronato
04-20-09, 12:21 pm
Nice 2,000 calorie shake as I sat at the bar recuperating before driving home.

Nice! What was in it??

machineman
04-20-09, 12:25 pm
nice work, wedge..

wedge
04-20-09, 1:26 pm
Burnt the legs, huh, wedge? Good show! what is YOUR opinion on the Real Gains??

My opinion on real gains is positive. I like it all except a brief aftertaste, but it is better than almost every other weight gainer I have taken. And I've had some bad ones.

Nice! What was in it??

I think they put everything in the gym into it. It had a lot of protein, some algae, fruit juices and a bunch of other things I can't recall off the top of my head. Came in two cups.
Despite it all, it tasted good.
How's the show prep coming? Almost game time I believe.

nice work, wedge..

Thanks MM. Looking for my place at the table.

DANO
04-20-09, 2:10 pm
My opinion on real gains is positive. I like it all except a brief aftertaste, but it is better than almost every other weight gainer I have taken. And I've had some bad ones.

Amen. there are some bad ones out there!

wedge
04-20-09, 2:33 pm
Amen. there are some bad ones out there!

True, but after a while, as a friend put it to me once, we have to stop eating for taste and eat for what we need. I've basically managed to do that. A cup of rice and a cup of beef, with two slices of cheese on top does not taste all that appealing.
But, the only thing I cannot stomach, without a lot of added items is cottage cheese. If anyone has suggestions for this, please let me know.

DANO
04-20-09, 2:45 pm
True, but after a while, as a friend put it to me once, we have to stop eating for taste and eat for what we need. I've basically managed to do that. A cup of rice and a cup of beef, with two slices of cheese on top does not taste all that appealing.
But, the only thing I cannot stomach, without a lot of added items is cottage cheese. If anyone has suggestions for this, please let me know.

I add either pineapple, or a bunch of black pepper to "help" the flavor. I know about eating to build, people give me the weird looks when I open a can of tuna and eat it straight... I don't know how many times I've gotten the "cat food" comment.

wedge
04-20-09, 4:15 pm
I add either pineapple, or a bunch of black pepper to "help" the flavor. I know about eating to build, people give me the weird looks when I open a can of tuna and eat it straight... I don't know how many times I've gotten the "cat food" comment.

I love "shocking" people with the tuna.

wedge
04-20-09, 7:33 pm
Monday-Back Workout

Changed some things up, including 5-3-1 for deads, as suggested by Y&H.

Deads-135 x 10, 225 x 5, 300 x 5, 325 x 5, 345 x 3

Cable Row-120 x 10, 180 x 10, 240 x 6

Face Pulls- 50 x 10, 72.5 x 10, 90 x 6

Good Mornings- 135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 1-PR

Bicep Curl, Hammer Strength-70 x 10, 90 x 10, 115 x 6

DANO
04-20-09, 7:36 pm
Monday-Back Workout

Changed some things up, including 5-3-1 for deads, as suggested by Y&H.

Deads-135 x 10, 225 x 5, 300 x 5, 325 x 5, 345 x 3

Cable Row-120 x 10, 180 x 10, 240 x 6

Face Pulls- 50 x 10, 72.5 x 10, 90 x 6

Good Mornings- 135 x 6, 225 x 6, 315 x 1-PR

Bicep Curl, Hammer Strength-70 x 10, 90 x 10, 115 x 6

Dude, those good mornings would tip me over on my head!! way to post a new PR!!

wedge
04-20-09, 7:51 pm
Dude, those good mornings would tip me over on my head!! way to post a new PR!!

Give 'em a try. Start with a low weight and master form before moving up.

wedge
04-22-09, 8:18 pm
Went to the gym, still battling my cold. Second time in as many months I've had some sort of cold (Flu a few weeks ago). I'm hoping this means I'll be sickness free the rest of the year, once I beat this round.
Anyway, onto the workout.

Straight Bench Dumbbells- 30 x 12, 50 x 12, 70 x 6, 100 x 6, 110 x 2

Incline Dumbbell- 50 x 10, 60 x 10, 70 x 10-PR reps, 80 x 7

Pec Deck- 160 x 10, 205 x 10, 225 x 7, 235 x 5

Strict Press- bar x 10, 95 x 10, 115 x 8, 135 x 6

Shrugs- 2pps x 10, 3 pps x 10

Had nothing left here. Felt like shit. Decided to pack it in and call it a workout.