PDA

View Full Version : low carb athlete diet??? i need some input!

T. Kemble
08-21-08, 9:29 pm
Whats up guys.
I'm currently training for the police academy and i need to go from 210 to 195 by October 1 with maintaining energy levels.

As far as training goes, I run 6 days a week and weight train 2 days with one off day on Sunday.

My thoughts are that running a traditional Keto diet with all the endurance work would run me into overtraining very quickly.
I know on keto you basically get your body glucose synthesis mechanism to work off ketones instead of carbs which in turn lowers bodyfat and increases lean mass. Now i know ox preaches that a well put together keto diet won't drain you, but honestly I'm drained now with a 300g/day carb diet and all the work im putting in, i couldnt imagine any less.

Now my thought originally was to follow a runners diet, which is basically 50carb/25fat/25protein but a diet so low in protein would be detrimental to staying muscular and strong.

Basically i want to go from 210 with 10% bf to 195 with 8% bf.

Today i tried a low carb diet only having carbs pre and post workout, with fruits and veggies with my meals during the day, I felt good, but i want to know if i'm on the right track.

What do you guys suggest?

Maiden69
08-22-08, 9:06 am
Whats the purpose of dropping the weight? When I went to the police academy they did a BF% analysis and called it a day. If you are at 10%, they shouldn't say jack about it, I would understand if you were like 20% or more.

I have dropped 15lbs in the last 6 weeks on the Anabolic Diet, you feel like crap the first week or 2, I expect the same about a Keto. But I too think that with all the running you are doing, those 2 diets will have you drained mid week. At least on the Anabolic you get a 1 to 2 day carb up instead of the 1 meal on Keto, but still that is a LOT of running.

Pizzalamp
08-22-08, 9:11 am
Whats up guys.
I'm currently training for the police academy and i need to go from 210 to 195 by October 1 with maintaining energy levels.

As far as training goes, I run 6 days a week and weight train 2 days with one off day on Sunday.

My thoughts are that running a traditional Keto diet with all the endurance work would run me into overtraining very quickly.
I know on keto you basically get your body glucose synthesis mechanism to work off ketones instead of carbs which in turn lowers bodyfat and increases lean mass. Now i know ox preaches that a well put together keto diet won't drain you, but honestly I'm drained now with a 300g/day carb diet and all the work im putting in, i couldnt imagine any less.

Now my thought originally was to follow a runners diet, which is basically 50carb/25fat/25protein but a diet so low in protein would be detrimental to staying muscular and strong.

Basically i want to go from 210 with 10% bf to 195 with 8% bf.

Today i tried a low carb diet only having carbs pre and post workout, with fruits and veggies with my meals during the day, I felt good, but i want to know if i'm on the right track.

What do you guys suggest?
ADD IN SOME GOOD FATS AND YOURE GOOD TO GO MY MAN

T. Kemble
08-22-08, 9:28 am
Getting under 200 would mean less wear and tear on my body. We were told that running would be in the neighborhood of 5 miles a day every day and if we did not keep up the first week we would get dropped. That's why I'm running so much..
I'm going to try to include more healthy fats and have carbs around my workouts for now and see where that takes me..
Thanks fellas

J Wong
08-25-08, 5:36 am
If you go on a full blown keto diet, I heard all of that endurance work and cardio will make you lose muscle mass. (If the cardio is intense, because I read everywhere to do your cardio on keto with low intensity with a heart rate of 120 or something around there)

Gonz
08-25-08, 5:50 am
Well, you're essentially already doing it, but you can do a TKD. Targeted Ketogenic Diet, basically you don't have carb ups, you just have carbs pre/post workout. I don't remember the exact amounts, but it also depends on your size and such. It's the Keto diet for those looking for performance, but with the low carb approach. If you're just looking to drop the fat and not looking for performance, then I'd say do a CKD (Cyclical Ketogenic Diet) and do plenty of LISS (Low Intensity Steady State) for cardio. If you do that though, make sure your fat content is fairly high, from good sources of course. It'll give you the energy you need in either diet.

T. Kemble
08-25-08, 10:59 am
Well see here's my problem. I'm looking to get leaner but improve my athletic performance as far as running and endurance work goes, just carbs pre and post workout isn't cutting it and I feel exteremely fatigued, I barely have enough energy for my workouts. Today was the first day I'm going to include a very small amount (25 grams) with breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as pre and post workout. If I can keep the carbs around 110ish a day I don't think I will be as dead with all the endurance work I'm doing

Gonz
08-25-08, 4:33 pm
You can still lose fat with 110g of carbs a day, that's still "low carb" yet you may or may not get into ketosis that way.

T-GUN
09-07-08, 10:24 am
Im right there with you brother. Im 5' 9", 245lb with 18-20%BF (trying to get down to 10%) and getting ready for the acadmey. Im doing the CKD right now and have no problem with energy whatsoever, actually I got more energy now then I did before. The first week sucked, I wont lie, but now Im flying high. Unfortunately no running on the CKD but Im dropping BF fast while walking at a 4mph pace and my lifts are still going up. After I reach my goal, or start getting closer to my academy date Ill switch over to the TKD so I can start running again. I lift 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off with cardio twice a day for 45-60m. Stick with it bro and Ill see you on the line.

wxman
09-07-08, 3:09 pm
I'm also there with you. I'm 185 and working hard to get cut; and almost there! I'm doing carb-cycling and eating the majority of my carbs pre/post workout. I keep my total carbs close to 120g/day on the high-carb day and 80g/day on the low-carb day. I feel I have enough energy to do my workouts but I'm pretty tired by the end of the day. I lift every other day (~70 min - 30 seconds between sets) and I mix up cardio/HITT every day with one day of the week off (mostly running/racquetball). I don't notice any muscle loss with my diet. Good luck!

Redbeard
09-23-08, 11:33 am
If you're at 110g Carbs a day, you might be in a rough spot. You're not near ketosis levels so your body still goes to carbs for energy over fat, but 440 calories (I'm guessing 20-25% of your diet) might not be enough to support all that running, particularly if your fat intake is low.

The problem with going to keto for you is the amount of time before you go to the academy. Endurance exercise is a bit of a bitch before you're fat adapted, which takes a few weeks. I personally have a hard time shifting my weight in either direction, but a tactic that has worked well for me is to keep my macros at 45P/30C/25F. That ratio has helped me reduce fat and do decent with cardio.

T. Kemble
10-12-08, 8:49 pm
thanks for all the answers guys... things have been working out great for me, i went from 222 to 205 in a little over 6 weeks.

heres the workout routine:
monday: 6+ mile run and light bodyweight training (pushups, crunches, pullups, squats)
tuesday: AM: dynamic speed recovery with 1.5 mile run timed. PM: full body weight workout with dumbbells/kettlebells/odd objects
weds: 3-5 mile run (usually a trail run)
thurs: dynamic speed recovery and timed 1.5 mile run followed by bodyweight training. (same setup as monday)
friday: full body weight workout, based off powerlifting so bench/squat/dead complexes.
saturday: 1.5 mile times run
sunday: off

diet:
meal 1:
1/2 cup oats in milk with fruit, 3 jumbo eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon.

meal 2:
sandwich on whole grain bread with lean meat and fruit
usually tuna, salmon or chicken

meal 3:
preworkout bar/shake with fruit

meal 4:
postworkout bar/shake with fruit

meal 5:
sandwich on whole grain with lean meat with fruit
always chicken or beef

meal 6:
high protein and veggies, lower carb but i do drink milk.

meal 7:
cottage cheese and fruit.

basically i keep the carbs around 300ish, protein at one gram per bw and fat under 80g.

its an athlete diet, low carb and endurance doesnt mix as you guys have said.

ROC1291
10-13-08, 10:17 am
thanks for all the answers guys... things have been working out great for me, i went from 222 to 205 in a little over 6 weeks.

heres the workout routine:
monday: 6+ mile run and light bodyweight training (pushups, crunches, pullups, squats)
tuesday: AM: dynamic speed recovery with 1.5 mile run timed. PM: full body weight workout with dumbbells/kettlebells/odd objects
weds: 3-5 mile run (usually a trail run)
thurs: dynamic speed recovery and timed 1.5 mile run followed by bodyweight training. (same setup as monday)
friday: full body weight workout, based off powerlifting so bench/squat/dead complexes.
saturday: 1.5 mile times run
sunday: off

diet:
meal 1:
1/2 cup oats in milk with fruit, 3 jumbo eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon.

meal 2:
sandwich on whole grain bread with lean meat and fruit
usually tuna, salmon or chicken

meal 3:
preworkout bar/shake with fruit

meal 4:
postworkout bar/shake with fruit

meal 5:
sandwich on whole grain with lean meat with fruit
always chicken or beef

meal 6:
high protein and veggies, lower carb but i do drink milk.

meal 7:
cottage cheese and fruit.

basically i keep the carbs around 300ish, protein at one gram per bw and fat under 80g.

its an athlete diet, low carb and endurance doesnt mix as you guys have said.

that's alot of fruit in there bro....
my two cents - keep the carbs to 4-6 hours after your workout/training, and upon waking only...
you don't need all that fruit in there, it doesnt do shit for your muscles.

ps - keep bodyfat levels at bay by going to a carb cutoff around 6pm

T. Kemble
10-13-08, 8:25 pm
that's alot of fruit in there bro....
my two cents - keep the carbs to 4-6 hours after your workout/training, and upon waking only...
you don't need all that fruit in there, it doesnt do shit for your muscles.

ps - keep bodyfat levels at bay by going to a carb cutoff around 6pm

i hear you exactly on the high levels of fruit. if the main goal of the cutting was to stay muscular then thats what i'd be doing. My goal is peak athletic performance (im starting the police academy next week) and i needed to increase my aerobic capacity.

early in the diet i tried carbs only around the workouts and it just wasn't enough to get me through the day and recovered in time for the next workout.

I found out what works for me, thanks for the input fellas.

curran
07-29-09, 4:36 pm
hey man, did you set up that workout plan yourself.?

what are your times for say a 1.5mile run, and a six miler(10km). ?
i can probably help you out with this and some wicked bw workouts,