http://gallery.barrymorrison.com/albums/userpics/10001/carb-cycle2.JPG

General Idea

6'3"
248lb (down from 308lb in late Jan)
25%-27% BF

Weight train M, T, Thur
Cardio Sat, Sun
Off on Wed, Fri

Also doing light cardio between sets. Everything is coming around except the gut/love handles.

I can't do keto/no-carbs, but A LOT of carbs makes me crash.

So thinking 248g protein, 80g fat and no more than 200g of carbs on my high day.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

Supplements:
Ultra Iso Whey
Pak
Flex
Omega

Have also Cycled:
M-Stak - First can, liked the results, 2nd can, the results didn't seem as great
Nitro - Seemed initially the duration of the recovery was the same, but the intensity was down. 2nd can, didn't seem to have any affect in regards to recovery.
Cuts - I first cycled with my first can of M-Stak, saw my greatest results. 2 weeks off, 2nd can, seemed jittery and CRASHED if I missed my 2nd dosage of the day.
Pump - Never felt a thing with the first (and only) can.

Looking for advice and whatever else anyone with experience carb cycling can offer. It'd be greatly appreciated. Goal is probably another 40lb-55lb. Don't need a 6-pack, just don't want a gut. Would really like to reach this goal by the end of the year.

For anyone who hasn't carb cycled, but has had successful results with a large cut, any advice would be greatly appreciated. It seems these last few lb are going to be the most stubborn. I don't know if I should lower caloric intake across the board and step up the cardio (definitely lose some muscle) or up everything, train my ass off and hope to burn the fat off.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this, and greatly appreciate any and all replies.

One more thing...if I can cut the rest of the fat, next year will be spent EATING, as I have gone from tall and fat to tall and lanky and I don't want to be lanky.

Gunz1
08-26-08, 5:13 pm
i like the advice that house gives... 1 day high 3 days low for a few weeks then 1 day high 4 days low for a few weeks and continue till your 1 day high 6 low at the end...

basketcase
08-26-08, 5:14 pm
i like the advice that house gives... 1 day high 3 days low for a few weeks then 1 day high 4 days low for a few weeks and continue till your 1 day high 6 low at the end...

Link to more info?

Ajack
08-26-08, 5:44 pm
For best results during carb cycling you need to adjust your other macro's in accordance to your carb intake for that particular day.

High Carbs, Mid protein, lowest possible fat.

Low carbs, high protein, moderate fat.

Check out this article. And read everything justin harris and shelby starnes have ever written on the subject.

http://troponinnutrition.com/Shelby.pdf

Also, on elitefts.com shelby answers questions in the Q&A about his diets. Check it out.

basketcase
08-26-08, 6:14 pm
For best results during carb cycling you need to adjust your other macro's in accordance to your carb intake for that particular day.

Check out this article. And read everything justin harris and shelby starnes have ever written on the subject.

Also, on elitefts.com shelby answers questions in the Q&A about his diets. Check it out.

Tons of info...Thank you!

jer
08-26-08, 6:20 pm

Great advice. I've done it with the help of Shelby and it worked great.

basketcase
08-31-08, 12:19 pm
So looking at Shelby's numbers my high day would consist of (carb/protein/fat) 480g/360g/12g on my high day. My low day would consist of (carb/protein/fat) 120g/240g/60g.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks!

I'll probably run 6 low, 1 high, see how I feel and what not. Maybe go 2 high, 5 low if necessary.

simpleguy
08-31-08, 12:32 pm
damn 12g of fat per day?? I get over that just by eating oats lol

basketcase
08-31-08, 1:06 pm
damn 12g of fat per day?? I get over that just by eating oats lol

So do I...My morning shake is 17oz water, 2 scoops Ultra Iso Whey, 2tbsp natural peanut butter and 1-cup or 1-1/2 cup oats.

Based on what I've eaten in the past and what I'm eating now, the numbers don't match anything I've ever done.

dannynb
08-31-08, 2:54 pm
House is got me cycling carbs for my show....as follows 1 high day, 2 low days, 1 high, 3 low, 1 high, 4 low, 1 high, 5 low, repeat....high days around 150g, low days 50g...right now I'm down to 0g but again I'm close to my show date....protein styas about the same throughout...fat is little higher on low days...but healthy fats, other than that eat lots of green veggies and salads....

basketcase
08-31-08, 2:59 pm
House is got me cycling carbs for my show....as follows 1 high day, 2 low days, 1 high, 3 low, 1 high, 4 low, 1 high, 5 low, repeat....high days around 150g, low days 50g...right now I'm down to 0g but again I'm close to my show date....protein styas about the same throughout...fat is little higher on low days...but healthy fats, other than that eat lots of green veggies and salads....

I always thought protein stayed the same, but seems some people will cycle those. Fats was always the one thing I questioned, does it stay static or do you cycle them as well. My fat usually comes from pb and/or salmon. I can do the extra virgin olive oil, but the shit makes me gag. Almonds give me horrible gas, and cashews make me constipated...ain't it a bitch! I know Avacados are healthy sources of fat, but eating them plain there is a little gag reflex action and reminds me of eating boiled eggs.

The goal is probably 50-55lb FAT...I just want to drop the BF% below 15%, ideally get rid of the gut, where all the fat is right now.

Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciated!

Feel The Power
08-31-08, 3:00 pm
I noticed if I do cuts after I have been dieting for 2 months it seemed to work alot better for me than if I started it at the beginning of my diet. I did carb cycling every 4th day high carbs and every 2nd high carb day I did a cheat meal. Low carb day 50g or less which was usually in my protein shakes. Cardio done in AM and worked up to an hour for 5 days a week. I tried to schedule my heavier workouts after my carb up day. I started at 235lb and got down to 190lb in 4 months. Ate lots of fish, chicken, lean beef along with veggies on low carb days. (I didn't count dark veggies as carbs and ate these until i felt full or got sick of them.. whichever happened first.. lol). Used almonds and omega supp for fats with each meal. My body started to adapt to the 4th day carb up so I just changed the days to trick it and still kept burning fat. This was my first time trying carb cycling with good success. I hope some of my info from my experience helps you out..

Feel The Power
08-31-08, 3:04 pm
I did animal pak, nitro, pump, and ultra iso whey on my diet.. I added in cuts after 2 months..

basketcase
08-31-08, 3:07 pm
I noticed if I do cuts after I have been dieting for 2 months it seemed to work alot better for me than if I started it at the beginning of my diet. I did carb cycling every 4th day high carbs and every 2nd high carb day I did a cheat meal. Low carb day 50g or less which was usually in my protein shakes. Cardio done in AM and worked up to an hour for 5 days a week. I tried to schedule my heavier workouts after my carb up day. I started at 235lb and got down to 190lb in 4 months. Ate lots of fish, chicken, lean beef along with veggies on low carb days. (I didn't count dark veggies as carbs and ate these until i felt full or got sick of them.. whichever happened first.. lol). Used almonds and omega supp for fats with each meal. My body started to adapt to the 4th day carb up so I just changed the days to trick it and still kept burning fat. This was my first time trying carb cycling with good success. I hope some of my info from my experience helps you out..

What's everyone's thoughts on lean beef on a cut? I can get 97/3 as cheap as I can get chicken breasts and I prefer beef over chicken, but beef is still high in fat. I can also get lean ground turkey cheaper than beef or chicken, but get gassy with it.

Veggies for me consist of broccoli (if I have some -- usually fresh), romaine lettuce, which has now been replaced with fresh spinach.

Carbs is oats (with shake), sweet potatoes, red potatoes or brown rice (really sick of right now!).

I've cut out fruits, but would be happy as hell to throw in a banana or apple in the morning for a little variety.

I take Omega, should I look into just a straight Omega-3 supplement or something in addition to? The dude at the local supplement shop told me to take Omega-3 with each shake (this could get expensive)

I cycled 2 series of Cuts. As I said, I liked the results with the first can, but then 2nd can, I seemed to crash hard if I missed my 2nd dose + 4 hours, and that just sucked. I guess I needed to be more consistent is all. I know I'll cycle again, just not sure how soon.

simpleguy
08-31-08, 3:32 pm
lean cuts of beef are ok imo - helps you feel fuller (as opposed to chicken breast which will make you hungry as gell)

your carbs are good... an apple in the morning should be fine

your food is clean, but remember in the end, it boils down to cals in vs cals out, so make sure you measure your food, cals and stuff

basketcase
08-31-08, 3:38 pm
lean cuts of beef are ok imo - helps you feel fuller (as opposed to chicken breast which will make you hungry as gell)

your carbs are good... an apple in the morning should be fine

your food is clean, but remember in the end, it boils down to cals in vs cals out, so make sure you measure your food, cals and stuff

I have a scale, all meats are measured. All servings and measured (1/4-cup, 1/2-cup, etc).

I usually buy bulk, and prepackage food for a couple of days...makes life easier.

I also keep track of everything in an excel spreadsheet, so I know what I'm eating or not eating. I have a pretty good idea. My diet up until this point has been 98% chicken, with the occasional piece of beef or turkey. I laid off the beef for the high amount of fat (even with 97/3) and laid off the turkey as it gives me gas.

I've learned lately that even though I need consistency, I need variety. I need to consistently meet my numbers as far as my diet is concerned, but my diet needs to have some variety or it becomes too much like a chore.

simpleguy
08-31-08, 3:43 pm
I've learned lately that even though I need consistency, I need variety. I need to consistently meet my numbers as far as my diet is concerned, but my diet needs to have some variety or it becomes too much like a chore.

that's great, I do it as well... I can't have exactly the same meals day in and out for months on end

basketcase
08-31-08, 3:52 pm
that's great, I do it as well... I can't have exactly the same meals day in and out for months on end

I did, and I think that is why here lately I've been dreading eating, and my effort in the gym leaves a lot to be desired. Time to mix things up.

dannynb
08-31-08, 8:37 pm
I always thought protein stayed the same, but seems some people will cycle those. Fats was always the one thing I questioned, does it stay static or do you cycle them as well. My fat usually comes from pb and/or salmon. I can do the extra virgin olive oil, but the shit makes me gag. Almonds give me horrible gas, and cashews make me constipated...ain't it a bitch! I know Avacados are healthy sources of fat, but eating them plain there is a little gag reflex action and reminds me of eating boiled eggs.

The goal is probably 50-55lb FAT...I just want to drop the BF% below 15%, ideally get rid of the gut, where all the fat is right now.

Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciated!

Fats ya don't want to high...right now I'm not allowed any beef...sucks but do able. As for the fats I'm getting mine from fish...here's what I'm doing

meal 1
8 egg whites
4 0z chicken
1/2 grapefruit

meal 2
1 can tuna
2 cup veggies

meal 3
8oz chicken
2 cup veggies

meal 4
1 can tuna
2 cup veggies

PWO shake w/ glutamine and bcaa's

meal 5
8oz fish
salad

meal 6
6 0z fish
asparragus

carb days (mon 7 thurs) I'll have with....

meal 1
1 cup oats

meal 3
1 cup rice

meal 5
6oz sweet potatoe

with pwo shake 1 cup oats....

we're gonna change it up an 4 weeks...

basketcase
08-31-08, 8:54 pm
Fats ya don't want to high...right now I'm not allowed any beef...sucks but do able. As for the fats I'm getting mine from fish...here's what I'm doing

meal 1
8 egg whites
4 0z chicken
1/2 grapefruit

meal 2
1 can tuna
2 cup veggies

meal 3
8oz chicken
2 cup veggies

meal 4
1 can tuna
2 cup veggies

PWO shake w/ glutamine and bcaa's

meal 5
8oz fish
salad

meal 6
6 0z fish
asparragus

carb days (mon 7 thurs) I'll have with....

meal 1
1 cup oats

meal 3
1 cup rice

meal 5
6oz sweet potatoe

with pwo shake 1 cup oats....

we're gonna change it up an 4 weeks...

Thank you for that...

I think I'm on the right track.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Feel The Power
08-31-08, 9:42 pm
I ate alot of fish on my diet too.. not sure if you like fish or not, but I can live on the stuff and never get tired of it. Plus it is loaded in omega 3's.

Thank you for that...

I think I'm on the right track.

Appreciate everyone's help.

basketcase
08-31-08, 9:46 pm
I ate alot of fish on my diet too.. not sure if you like fish or not, but I can live on the stuff and never get tired of it. Plus it is loaded in omega 3's.

I could eat Salmon every night. I may try Tilapia as I think it may be cheaper.

Then there is always Tuna. When I'm in a crunch and want whole food, I'll grab a can.

B.C.
06-26-09, 1:15 pm
This thread's a little old, but I'm bumping it for two reasons:

There's a ton of Keto threads, but not many for cycling.

I wanted to get subbed, so I have easy access to the links.

Hopefully some of the experienced carb cyclers will have something new to add.