PDA

View Full Version : Body fat calipers?

The Epidemic
09-14-08, 3:15 pm
whats the best way to this and get the best results?

sanga
09-14-08, 4:11 pm
You should get a booklet with it,you take a reading at diferent sites on the body, tricep, lower back etc, google it if you have no booklet.

Tiny
09-14-08, 4:17 pm
whats the best way to this and get the best results?

You take skinfold measurements in 6 -9 different places: upper chest, tri, calf, lower back, quad, abs, main thing is to maintain consistency in the spots you are measuring. It is a tool - the information is - that when examined alongside gains or losses in bodyweight can track your progress. Weight stayed about the same but bodyfat measurements decreased, then you've lost x amount of fat while gaining x amount of muscle, and so on. It isn't going to yield flawless bodyfat percentages but it will absolutely provide a priceless guide. Like I said, consistency - weigh and measure yourself about the same time of day each time, use the same scale (the scale doesn't have to be absolutely correct beyond question, so long as it is the same scale everytime, then it will still show you what's going on). Don't get caught up with doing all this too frequently - shit, once every 3 weeks is good enough and as you draw nearer to your goal do it once every 2 weeks. But for any of this to mean jack shit, you need to have the diet nailed down to every ounce and know your numbers, otherwise the info is no good 'cause ya won't be able to fine tune.

The Epidemic
09-14-08, 4:18 pm
You should get a booklet with it,you take a reading at diferent sites on the body, tricep, lower back etc, google it if you have no booklet.

the book has a one site testing info.. how many sites are the best?

The Epidemic
09-14-08, 4:27 pm
where are the site? it is 6 or 9?

Tiny
09-14-08, 4:36 pm
where are the site? it is 6 or 9?

6 point measurements will work - pinch some fat - get a feel for it, roll it between your fingers - adipose tissue feels like spaggetti, can you feel the shit under there? If you're too fat you can't feel what I'm talking about, so feel a leaner spot - feel the spagetti shit? That's the fat - pinch a hard spot, feel the thickness to the skin? Does that feel different? learn to determine water from fat. Just google and read up on all you can find about the subject. This is something you have to physically practice - read all you can find and get to measuring. In the doing of it you will learn.

The Epidemic
09-14-08, 4:43 pm
1-upper chest,
2-tri,
3-calf,
4-lower back,
5-quad,
6 abs

what the next step? formual?

Tiny
09-14-08, 5:13 pm
1-upper chest,
2-tri,
3-calf,
4-lower back,
5-quad,
6 abs

what the next step? formual?

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/body-fat-calculator.html
Jesus H. Christ, here, go here and just use their calculator with your numbers - I had to Google this. You're welcome and happy pinching.

Lethal_Banana
09-15-08, 6:55 pm
Wait a second guys!

If the guy has an Accufitness caliper, then there is only one testing site that he is supposed to use!

With any other calipers, the booklet will mention the appropriate testing sites.

I myself have a few different ones, and like the Accufitness one. The instructions can also be found @ http://www.accufitness.com/

hit me up if you need any more help.

Cheers,
LB

Tiny
09-17-08, 5:56 pm
Wait a second guys!

If the guy has an Accufitness caliper, then there is only one testing site that he is supposed to use!

With any other calipers, the booklet will mention the appropriate testing sites.

I myself have a few different ones, and like the Accufitness one. The instructions can also be found @ http://www.accufitness.com/

hit me up if you need any more help.

Cheers,
LB

Hmmmm - I did not know this. I can't imagine measuring one site and garnering an acceptable (as far as accurracy goes) measurement but wtf do I know? Shit, might as well use one of those weight scales which also (NOT) measure bodyfat. Still best of luck but keep in mind the mirror or better yet photographs will give you possibly a more practical assessment. I mean, if you are unhappy by the readings (opps, I mean reading, singular) of your caliper, don't let that shit get you down 'case it might be way the fuck off anyway, and most folks have no idea what bodyfat percentage they are looking at anywho. - Peace

'C' Huck
05-12-09, 2:24 pm
I know a lot of you know our Body Fat pretty much to the 1 %. Do ya'll use the Calipers or do you go and get dunked into a tank of water or use the scales and a formula? If you use Calipers, can you recommend a good one? Thanks Bro's......

GJN5002
05-12-09, 6:07 pm
I have calipers.
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/accu-measure/fitness-3000-caliper-standard.html thats the one I have.
they are better than nothing, but if you have access to better tools go for it. I dnt have the time to get it done by getting dunked/electrodes or any other method every few weeks.
mine are nice because you take one measurement, its good for convenience but not for accuracy. I dont like taking 10 measurements and applying a formula which you do with some

Sphinx
06-23-09, 2:12 pm
I've never been able to get an accurate number for my BF, so many different equations on the internet, I get a wide range of what it could be.

So I'm asking if anyone has any experience with fat calipers or can recommend me some so I can get ever more serious in terms of my diet and goals.

Bigun
02-16-10, 4:22 pm
I dont have one and Im thinking of buying one. Can someone give a link to a good one thats not a waste of money. Used to have the trainers at the gym do it and the trainer that I trusted just left and the rest of the guys in there Im not sure about.