PDA

View Full Version : Need some chest advice

tommo637
09-18-08, 4:49 am
Hey guys

My chest workout goes incline bench x3, flyes x3 then flat bench x3 not including at least 1 warm up for each. I do feel sufficiently done after that but because I don't lift extremely heavy weights due to being just under 200 lbs at the moment I also do 2 drop sets of Dumbell press one on the incline then one flat each consisting of 3 weights so at least 20 reps for each exercise.

My question is whether the drop sets would be advantageous to me or whether they are too much and I should just add another set to my 3 major exercises? I love drop sets its a great finisher but I don't want to be overtraining.

Any advice would be really appreciated even just a run down of some of your chest workouts. Thanks guys.

Tom

SA-Hulk
09-18-08, 5:15 am
Ok bro,
there are many threads on chest training so you might want to search a couple and check them out, just a heads up, as many threads like this get closed.

That said - just because you are just under 200lbs doesnt mean you cant lift big and heavy, hell thats how you get over 200lbs! (this assuming you are trying to add muscle size).

Second, 9 working sets of a major muscle like chest....dude you are DEFINATLY NOT over-training! unless you are hitting chest 3 times a week or something crazy like that?

Stick with your basic core lifts and go bigger with them, with more sets!

Try something along these lines:
Incline Bench press - 1 warm up set - 5 sets of 5 reps (great for strength and mass)
Incline D.Bell Press - 1 warm up set - 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Flat Bench Press - 1 warm up set - 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Pec dec or flat Db flys - 3 sets of 12-15 reps

Just a guide mate, try it and play around with it.

Oh and just a mention - DIET DIET DIET - find what works for YOU! and be consistant!

Peace

sanga
09-18-08, 6:18 am
Drop sets are added to increase intensity to make the muscles work harder.

InkdMuscle
09-18-08, 8:50 pm
Keep your drop sets, but IMO you are doing to many pressing movement exercises. What I would do is concentrate like this. It may not work for you but its worth to change things up and keep ur body guessing.

Incline Flies x5 (1 warm up, 1 drop set)
Flat Bench x4(1 drop set)
Incline DB Press x4( 1 drop set)
Flat flies x4(1 drop set)

Thats my current workout right now and I seem to climb about 5-10lbs in about every 2 weeks in my max's. Hope that helps bro.

MojoMike36
09-18-08, 10:28 pm
Keep your drop sets, but IMO you are doing to many pressing movement exercises. What I would do is concentrate like this. It may not work for you but its worth to change things up and keep ur body guessing.

Incline Flies x5 (1 warm up, 1 drop set)
Flat Bench x4(1 drop set)
Incline DB Press x4( 1 drop set)
Flat flies x4(1 drop set)

Thats my current workout right now and I seem to climb about 5-10lbs in about every 2 weeks in my max's. Hope that helps bro.

Bro! I heard flies are worthless for building mass! Are you telling flies are actually useful for building mass. I've been under the impression from other opinions that flies are bad for mass. I've always stuck with presses and dips for mass. Never thought flies were useful.

hardhit71
09-18-08, 10:34 pm
Bro! I heard flies are worthless for building mass! Are you telling flies are actually useful for building mass. I've been under the impression from other opinions that flies are bad for mass. I've always stuck with presses and dips for mass. Never thought flies were useful.

Flies have worked well enough for me.

bigrhino
09-18-08, 10:53 pm
Maybe you have too much fat to see or feel a pump...

Carpe Diem P.T
09-18-08, 10:57 pm
Try something along these lines:
Incline Bench press - 1 warm up set - 5 sets of 5 reps (great for strength and mass)

just to explain further. its not particularly the 5 reps that builds size. its the fact that by doing the 5 rep range, your 8 - 12 rep (hypertrophy) weight will increase thus giving u a heavier weight to build with.

scals
09-18-08, 11:16 pm
just to explain further. its not particularly the 5 reps that builds size. its the fact that by doing the 5 rep range, your 8 - 12 rep (hypertrophy) weight will increase thus giving u a heavier weight to build with.

Well stated Carpe. I agree with the 5x5 method as well. Each week try to increase the weight slightly to help you grow. I would use drop sets but not every workout. Say there are four chest workouts in a month, I would do three of them without the drop sets, then on the fourth workout add them back in. It's all about shocking the muscle into growth.

Tiny
09-19-08, 5:33 pm

BANG - dead on the money.

In Flames
09-19-08, 6:45 pm
You could try Andreas Frey's style.

3 x 4-6 Incline BB Bench
3 x 6-12 Incline DB Bench
3 x 12-15 Incline DB Fly's
1 x 30-50 Cable Crossovers

You can use any exercise you want, but it's based off of Hatfield and HIT. Each set til failure.

Carpe Diem P.T
09-20-08, 5:37 pm
Well stated Carpe. I agree with the 5x5 method as well. Each week try to increase the weight slightly to help you grow. I would use drop sets but not every workout. Say there are four chest workouts in a month, I would do three of them without the drop sets, then on the fourth workout add them back in. It's all about shocking the muscle into growth.

if only there were 5 weeks in a month! theres just not enough dam time.

tommo637
09-23-08, 2:49 am
Cheers guys

I'm gona try the 5x5 at the moment my rep range over 4 sets goes 12-5 but I'm just gona go straight to max weight after warm up and hit 5x5 see how that goes. Personally I like the flies they really increase my chest pump and I agree there are too many pushing exercises my shoulders and triceps probably get a bit too much of a workout for chest day. Could that be to do with my form or is it normal? I know I have quite good form so it confuses me when my shoulders sometimes feel like they're doing all the work on incline stuff. I'll check out the chest threads in training thanks for all the tips guys.

Tom

Steelman69
09-25-08, 4:53 pm
Your tris and delts are naturally involved in your pressing exercises, so don't worry if you feel a little working there. It is when you feel nothing in your chest and all delts or all tris that you should be concerned about your form. Try changing the angle of your incline to get the right position for your upper chest.

mritter3
09-25-08, 8:17 pm
i don't think you are overtraining, you just have to lift smarter, if your trying to put on some bulk and lift more, than start going heavy for fewer reps, every now and then throw in a drop set to mix it up but for the most part be consistant and lift heavy, and eat right diet is so important. make sure it is in check

1samtheman1
09-26-08, 9:51 am
i think compound movements would be a good thing to add to your workout.
also i would not suggest useing drop sets every time on cheast day,
its a dangerous trap to fall into,maybe forced reps for db would be better,
i also personally use drop set when i cant do all 5 reps i drop 15% of the weight then push as hard as posible to failre usally around 8 reps,
you can either leave it at that or like me i put the 15% back on and do 5 reps.
or leave it to next traing day and go for the top weight again.

WeeMan
09-26-08, 10:19 am
i think compound movements would be a good thing to add to your workout.
also i would not suggest useing drop sets every time on cheast day,
its a dangerous trap to fall into,maybe forced reps for db would be better,
i also personally use drop set when i cant do all 5 reps i drop 15% of the weight then push as hard as posible to failre usally around 8 reps,
you can either leave it at that or like me i put the 15% back on and do 5 reps.
or leave it to next traing day and go for the top weight again.

good advice

STRATEJACKET
04-19-10, 8:48 am
Stratejacket her...try this bad buoy out bro

chest

dumbbell incline presse's
flat bench presse's
hammer chest preese's
dumbbell fly's/pec decks
cable crossover's

it's up 2 you how many reps/sets you do.try it out bro & let me know how it go's.

theharjmann
04-19-10, 9:17 am
Hey guys

My chest workout goes incline bench x3, flyes x3 then flat bench x3 not including at least 1 warm up for each. I do feel sufficiently done after that but because I don't lift extremely heavy weights due to being just under 200 lbs at the moment I also do 2 drop sets of Dumbell press one on the incline then one flat each consisting of 3 weights so at least 20 reps for each exercise.

My question is whether the drop sets would be advantageous to me or whether they are too much and I should just add another set to my 3 major exercises? I love drop sets its a great finisher but I don't want to be overtraining.

Any advice would be really appreciated even just a run down of some of your chest workouts. Thanks guys.

Tom

just train balls to the wall every time. and if that means high reps, low reps, drop sets, supersets then do it.

just make sure that you are sore the next day and that each workout surpasses the last

eat perfectly

dont drink

sleep lots and you will be on your way.

Muscleguy93
04-19-10, 9:56 am

Lol...flys are the best chest building movement. If you fly the 100s you will have a big chest.

tommo637
04-19-10, 7:35 pm
I made this thread a good 19 months ago, and as it has been recently updated I think it appropriate to fill you in. Firstly my current chest workout:
Bench press 5 sets ending at 4 rep
Incline flies 4 sets
incline hammer strength machine 3 sets
DB pullovers 2 sets

It has varied over the 19 months, taking everyones advice seriously and every workout/technique has worked in various periods. Most importantly now I get a good pump everytime, I maintain it, and I leave KNOWING I will get good soreness. and I do. Secondly, I cannot believe I wrote I don't lift heavy cos I am under 200lbs. I am now benching 290lbs and believing I can keep going up. I am still around 200lbs but my makeup has changed completely as I did 2 BB comps last year and 2 decent bulks. Stepping up my game.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed back then, and all those who have contributed recently. Chest is my lagging area to me but people are beginnign to say it is one of my best, it is largely thanks to you guys as I had been training it with no results for 6 years up until this thread. Thankyou.