PDA

View Full Version : Time under tension

Ady
09-21-08, 11:35 am
Hey,

I'm thinking of mixing my routine up by doing the majority of my exercises with 3 secs down pausing at the bottom for another second and the pressing back up. Does anyone know if this is a good training technique and if there is any exercises that i shouldn't use this technique on??

Cheers

theharjmann
09-21-08, 11:44 am
Alright mate,

Yeh it sounds good...try it for every bodypart for a week, then try a different technique for training (eg dropsets), then another technique the week after and so on and so on. Then, when you run out of ideas, come back to the 3 second technique you just thought up.

Its all about variation...shocking your muscles into new techniques that will cause mure muscle fibres to tear down in the gym and hench more to grow back outside of the gym.

That sounds good though, i think i might try it out for calves tonight!

Peace

BackRowBack
09-21-08, 2:41 pm
Yeah, that might be a good shock technique, but I wouldn't do it regularly. Putting your muscles under tension for that long can ultimately cause you to lose elasticity and, subsequently, explosive power in that muscle.

InkdMuscle
09-21-08, 3:42 pm
I use a pause with a 2second then explode on the push or pull movement depending on what i am dong. it has been working good. but like said above i also use drop sets, giants sets and so on. I always switch it up from week to week then when i run out i start back to square one that way it always keeps my body guessing and shocking the muscle.

prowrestler
09-21-08, 6:52 pm
serge nubret use to not count sets but time training as an intensity factor

Ady
09-23-08, 6:45 am
Thanks for the advice

Sprint
10-25-10, 5:56 pm
serge nubret use to not count sets but time training as an intensity factor

I've heard of similar techniques where people simply rep for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds, rep for 30 and so on in order to eliminate the psychological limitations that can occur when you have a certain number of reps in your head to aim for.

Torque757
10-26-10, 11:34 pm
Hey,

I'm thinking of mixing my routine up by doing the majority of my exercises with 3 secs down pausing at the bottom for another second and the pressing back up. Does anyone know if this is a good training technique and if there is any exercises that i shouldn't use this technique on??

Cheers

I wouldnt call that a "technique" so much as "proper form".

The descent/negative portion of the rep is where most of the hypertrophy producing breakdown occurs, so dont skimp on it. It is infinently more important for growth then the positive portion, whose sole purpose should be to allow for another negative rep