PDA

View Full Version : Best Back Workout

Ou1champions
09-22-08, 6:34 pm
What back routine has given you the best results?

miketyson789
09-22-08, 11:39 pm
i get the best back workout when i use all barbells and dumbells
deadlifts heavy 4 sets, 3 reps on heavy set
t bar rows 4 sets, 6 reps on heavy set
dumbell rows 4 sets, 6 reps on heavy set
pull ups wide grip 3 sets do as many as possible
then go home and eat till u feel like ur gonna explode

sanga
09-23-08, 2:27 am
Deadlifts 12-10-8-6-4-10-10
Bent rows 12-10-8-6-4-10-10
Weighted chins 3 x 6-8

Thats all I can do if I got the deads and rows right, sometimes the chins have to be dropped.

powerhouse
09-23-08, 6:31 am
that looks like something dorion yates would do nice

where abouts you live in england

sanga
09-23-08, 6:37 am
I`m in Berkshire mate, I`ve PMd you mate so we don`t hijack this thread and so it stays on topic.

Ady
09-23-08, 6:43 am
Deadlifts 6-10 for 4 sets
Bent over row 6-10 for 4 sets
Weighted wide grip chins 4-6 for 4 sets
Inner grip pulldown (one handed) 6-10 for 4 sets

Then sleep lots and eat more :)

Kevlar
09-23-08, 11:04 am
I do pretty much the same: old school

Deadlifts: 1 warm up and three heavy ass sets
3 sets up pull ups to failure / or 4 sets heavy wide grip lat pull downs
4 sets barbell rows
4 sets close grip pull downs
cable rows / or t bar rows

This gives 2 exercises for width and 2 for thickness
and one for all i can muster for full body thickness (deadlift)

- Deadlifts separate the groupies from the rockstars. Hit them till the fillings pop out of your teeth, till you throw up in your own mouth, till you swear you are sterile from them....

theharjmann
09-23-08, 3:53 pm
NO MACHINES UNTIL RIGHT AT THE END TO GET BLOOD INTO THE AREA

Weighted pullups, varying grips changing every week (4 working sets)
Bent over row (overhand barbell or underhand barbell or t-bar or dumbells) (4 working sets)
Deadlifts (3 working sets)...i often to dropset deadlifts...these absolutely FUCK me up!
Pullups
Seated cable row with a light weight just to tear those last muscle fibres up!

Peace

mritter3
09-23-08, 4:30 pm
first and foremost, deadlifts and heavy, second, db rows, bb rows, and wide grip chins. all 3 of these = thick ass back

sportsfan4110
09-23-08, 5:29 pm
i recently started most of my back workouts with rack chins. basically use the smith machine bar and put your feet up on a bench so you look somewhat like a V, then pull your self up like doing a regular pull up. i learned it on a video from layne norton, he says they are the one of the best back exercises to do because you don't use so much momentum as with regular pull-ups.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne_farzan_teen3.htm

shizz702
09-23-08, 6:01 pm
Deadlifts, db rows, and hang/power cleans is all I do for my back. Can't go wrong with those exercises.

AntonV
09-23-08, 10:01 pm
In this order, all sets are reps from 8-12:

Reverse Grip Pulldowns - 4 sets
T Bar Rows - 4 Sets
Bent Rows - 4 Sets
Deads - 3 Sets
DB Rows - 3 Sets

npeezy
09-24-08, 10:55 am
my back workout from yesterday:

deadlifts - 4 sets - 10, 8, 6, 2-3

barbell rows - 4sets - 12, 10, 8, 8

chins - 30 chins, took 4 sets to get all of them in.

straight bar cable pullovers - 3 sets - 12, 10, 8

azza30
09-24-08, 12:42 pm
Trap Bar Deads 5 x 5
Weighted chins 5 x 5
Barbell Rows 5 x 5
Pullovers 3 x 8
face pulls

InkdMuscle
09-24-08, 1:05 pm
Wide Grip Chins
T-Bar x4
DeadLift x4
Bentover Rows BB x4

Then after that I hit the machines to get the biggest blood flow, pump, burn i can get.

Jzepp
12-22-10, 8:53 am
Is it ok to start your back workout off with chins or pullups and then move on to say bentover rows, etc.? I ask this because it doesn't really happen when i start off with wide grip pullups but more so with chins. I warm-up my rotator cuff with a few exercises and then jump into close grip chins but i feel it more in my joints by my elbows as i do these rather than my back and biceps.

Aggression
12-22-10, 8:55 am
1 set of chins to warm up
4 sets of lat pulldowns
3 sets of heavy bent over bb rows
3 sets of seated cable rows
3 sets of deadlifts

Survivor831
12-22-10, 10:46 am
Other than legs, back is the most demanding to train. Learning to feel your back work as oppossed to just pulling the weight up and down is a must. Anything behind you such as your back, hamstrings, Rear delts.....all have to be visualized even harder in your mind because you cant see them work like you can for Chest, Quads or biceps.

Pull-ups
T-Bar Row
One Arm Row
Seated Row
Rack Deads

All exercises 6-10 reps for three or four sets. Sometimes only two if I feel the muscle has been worked to capacity

SleeezyPMartini
12-22-10, 3:28 pm
-Seated Lat Pull Downs
-Rear Delt Flys
-Good Mornings
-Single Arm Dumbbell Rows
-Cable Flys
-Standing Lat Pull Downs
-Hyperextensions
-Bent Over Rows
-Standing Rows
-Chin Ups

J A Y
12-22-10, 4:02 pm
i dont train my back on its own anymore however exercises that i personally should be in your arsenal:

first and foremost: DEADLIFTS
Barbell rows(overhand or underhand)
High rep Dumbell rows
Chins
Pull ups
and probably an underated one Hypers or reverse hyper

Sinister_TES
12-22-10, 4:14 pm
I got my best back growth while running a 5x5 program, I was either doing barbell rows or deadlifts pretty much every time i trained

Carrnage
12-22-10, 10:45 pm
Wide Grip Rack Chins
One Arm DB Rows
T-Bar Rows
Deadlifts

Keegan
12-24-10, 4:32 am
my work is
2 days for arm exercise 2 days for wings and shoulder and reaming for chest and belly /..

eddieparker
12-24-10, 1:27 pm
Many people are surprised to find that form the back muscles of the upper body muscles seventy percent of total. The normal development of the back muscles will give you a powerful upper body and the equally powerful appearance. The most important back muscles are the lower back and spine builders. The best training must include the dead lift back, and they are typically back to the exercise.

BarbellManiac
12-24-10, 3:39 pm
Barbell Rows
Weighed Chins
Deadlifts
Pullovers or 1 arm D.B Row

Enough said...

Jzepp
12-24-10, 6:27 pm
I know i am going to here alot of flack from this, but can you develop a thick and wide back with just rows and pullups/chinups with occasional deadlifts? I only have time in my busy schedule for a back thickness and back width exercise so i normally do Bentover rows, chins/pullups and seated low rows. Should i replace a back exercise with deadlifts and which one should i replace it with? Right now i only do deadlifts every 2 months for 2-3 weeks. I am guessing that is not enough for these to be part of my program or is it?

T o m m Y
12-24-10, 6:43 pm
I know i am going to here alot of flack from this, but can you develop a thick and wide back with just rows and pullups/chinups with occasional deadlifts? I only have time in my busy schedule for a back thickness and back width exercise so i normally do Bentover rows, chins/pullups and seated low rows. Should i replace a back exercise with deadlifts and which one should i replace it with? Right now i only do deadlifts every 2 months for 2-3 weeks. I am guessing that is not enough for these to be part of my program or is it?

Get rid of the seated rows so you can do...

Deadlift
Pull ups
Rows

Jzepp
12-24-10, 8:10 pm
And you can do heavy deadlifts every single week without taxing your CNS too much? I am only in the low 300 pound range for deadlifts.

T o m m Y
12-24-10, 8:19 pm
And you can do heavy deadlifts every single week without taxing your CNS too much? I am only in the low 300 pound range for deadlifts.

How is your deadlift routine set up now?
Are you looking for strength?

Jzepp
12-24-10, 9:12 pm
I am not really into strength...mostly size. I follow 3 weeks heavy lifting in the 4-8 rep range for compound exercises, then 1 week of 8-12 rep range for compounds. I then switch the exercises and do 3 more weeks of heavy lifting, 1 week of higher rep lifting..then a couple weeks of higher rep range lifting and then take a week off.

FewL4no1
12-26-10, 11:31 am
I am not really into strength...mostly size. I follow 3 weeks heavy lifting in the 4-8 rep range for compound exercises, then 1 week of 8-12 rep range for compounds. I then switch the exercises and do 3 more weeks of heavy lifting, 1 week of higher rep lifting..then a couple weeks of higher rep range lifting and then take a week off.

This is one man's opinion, but if you really want size, width and density (no, not that) in your back, you need to do heavy 1RM deadlifts regularly in conjunction with your other back exercises, such as rows, pulldowns, pullups, etc. The most significant progress I had in back development was when I was going to the gym week after week trying for new deadlift PRs (with rack pulls being thrown in once every month or so).

Food, sleep, and more food. Lift like an animal, and eat like one too :)

Jzepp
12-26-10, 9:25 pm
So you can skip the shrugs if you are working deadlifts into your routine?

TheWolf
12-27-10, 10:13 am
Deadlifts 10x10

Razor
12-27-10, 10:36 am
Any of the above are good combinations bro. Just remember to switch things up when you can. Hit the important lifts everytime (deads, chins), but never make a session the same for weeks on end. Gotta switch things up when able.

Jzepp
12-27-10, 12:00 pm
I do 3 weeks of heavy exercises using the same exercises with deadlifts and squats remaining constant. I then take a week and do higher reps and thinking of just doing shrugs that week and skipping deads and then when i do my heavy 3 weeks again, i change the exercises for the most part but continue deads and squats but change around my chest, back, shoulders and arms exercises. So basically deads get worked for 3 weeks in my heavy cycle but are taken out for the 4th week. The next 3 week heavy cycle i change most exercises but keep the deads again for those 3 weeks and so on.

MRmichael.hooker
12-27-10, 12:54 pm
Last year I split back into 2 days and my back exploded. Width on one day, thickness on another. Width usually went along the lines of pullups, wide grip pulldowns, straightarm pulldowns, widegrip tbar or barbell row, widegrip cable pulleys, etc. Thickness was deads or rackpulls, normal/rev bbell rows, dbell rows, tbar rows. Did back every 4-5 days like this. Worked really good for me. Would do reps either 6-8 or 8-10, and then a FST7 movement to finish

MRmichael.hooker
12-27-10, 12:56 pm
So you can skip the shrugs if you are working deadlifts into your routine?

personal opinion. Some guys always do traps (with back or shoulders) some guys never do any direct trap work. Just depends on what you believe and how your traps respond to direct or just deads/pulling movements

Jzepp
12-28-10, 1:58 am
I figure if i do deadlifts for 3 weeks straight and then the next week do shrugs and skip the deadlifts...i should be good to go with trap work in a 4 week cycle.

So i might set up like this:

Deadlifts
Bentover Rows
chins or pullups

Is it fine to do chins/pullups last? I usually do them first but it shouldn't really make a difference should it? It might take my energy away to add weighted chins/pullups but that is ok. I just figure to get th big compound exercise in first while i am still fresh.

Also, What grip do you guys use on Deadlifts? I hear this rumors about the mixed grip being a really bad grip to use because you can pull a bicep muslce if not careful. I personally like to use a mixed gip but starting use a pronated grip because of advice from people against the mixed grip. I don't like the pronated grip so much though..really limits the weight that can be used. Any opinions on this?

MRmichael.hooker
12-28-10, 5:07 pm
I figure if i do deadlifts for 3 weeks straight and then the next week do shrugs and skip the deadlifts...i should be good to go with trap work in a 4 week cycle.

So i might set up like this:

Deadlifts
Bentover Rows
chins or pullups

Is it fine to do chins/pullups last? I usually do them first but it shouldn't really make a difference should it? It might take my energy away to add weighted chins/pullups but that is ok. I just figure to get th big compound exercise in first while i am still fresh.

Also, What grip do you guys use on Deadlifts? I hear this rumors about the mixed grip being a really bad grip to use because you can pull a bicep muslce if not careful. I personally like to use a mixed gip but starting use a pronated grip because of advice from people against the mixed grip. I don't like the pronated grip so much though..really limits the weight that can be used. Any opinions on this?

On the pullup last thing, all up to the lifter. If you feel like it will fatigue you too much, then save it till the end. I'll usually do deads 2nd or 3rd in my routine, after my back is warmed up. Your choice bro. On the shrugs, do a variation of exercises since you are hitting them hard during that 4th week. Incline db shrugs, wide grip, Lee Haney shrugs, db shrugs

Deathride
12-29-10, 2:04 am
The mixed grip is entirely fine. Ive used it for over a year without so much as tendonitis. The problem people have is they dont deadlift the weight....they end up curling it or shrugging it and with 300+ pounds they do their biceps. The key is to keep your arms STRAIGHT. And dont jerk off the floor, take up tension then pull. That way your bicep is taken completely out of the equation.

Plus, as you train your biceps your tendons get stronger anyway so it remains not an issue.

Speakin as a powerlifter, my best back development has come from, in this order...
- Deadlifts (can be done from a rack to overload your back, or from a deficit to make it harder)
- Bent over rows / high rep HEAVY db rows (do them both, alternate them, do them on different days, do them!)
- Pullups of all varieties - wide grip, narrow grip, weighted, bodyweight, chins

You can shrug but if you deadlift and squat heavy regularly, it might not be necessary. And as said above, keep switching up and eat like a beast!!!

Jzepp
12-29-10, 9:53 am
The mixed grip is entirely fine. Ive used it for over a year without so much as tendonitis. The problem people have is they dont deadlift the weight....they end up curling it or shrugging it and with 300+ pounds they do their biceps. The key is to keep your arms STRAIGHT. And dont jerk off the floor, take up tension then pull. That way your bicep is taken completely out of the equation.

Plus, as you train your biceps your tendons get stronger anyway so it remains not an issue.

Speakin as a powerlifter, my best back development has come from, in this order...
- Deadlifts (can be done from a rack to overload your back, or from a deficit to make it harder)
- Bent over rows / high rep HEAVY db rows (do them both, alternate them, do them on different days, do them!)
- Pullups of all varieties - wide grip, narrow grip, weighted, bodyweight, chins

You can shrug but if you deadlift and squat heavy regularly, it might not be necessary. And as said above, keep switching up and eat like a beast!!!

Some people say to alternate the mixed grip with each set for deadlifts...meaning for each set switch hands that are under/over for each set. Is this really neccessary?

BarbellManiac
12-29-10, 10:26 am
Some people say to alternate the mixed grip with each set for deadlifts...meaning for each set switch hands that are under/over for each set. Is this really neccessary?

I do because my grip fails. I have one hand under and one over and I alternate each set.

Redbeard
12-29-10, 6:35 pm
Deadlifts - 8 sets ( 4 ramping sets of 3, 1 at 85% 1RM, 3 at 75% 1RM)
WG Pullups - 3 Sets, whatever reps
Corner T's or Barbell Rows - 4 sets, 8-12 reps
1 Arm DB Row - 4 sets, 8-12 reps
Hypers - 3 sets, 10-15 reps

Also, I do back Monday, legs Thursday to allow maximum recovery between deads and squats. I think this is important for back development when you're lifting heavy.

Jzepp
12-30-10, 3:24 pm
Deadlifts - 8 sets ( 4 ramping sets of 3, 1 at 85% 1RM, 3 at 75% 1RM)
WG Pullups - 3 Sets, whatever reps
Corner T's or Barbell Rows - 4 sets, 8-12 reps
1 Arm DB Row - 4 sets, 8-12 reps
Hypers - 3 sets, 10-15 reps

Also, I do back Monday, legs Thursday to allow maximum recovery between deads and squats. I think this is important for back development when you're lifting heavy.

Ok this might have been a problem in the past. I only have time for 3 workouts a week and usually do chest, shoulders, triceps on monday.......legs, hams, calves on wednesday.......back, biceps, forearms on friday. Doing squats and RDL's and then trying deadlifts 2 days later seemed to drain me. Would it be better to switch around my program more like this?

Monday: Legs, hams, calves
Wednesday: chest, shoulders, triceps
Friday: back, biceps, forearms

Deathride
12-30-10, 8:31 pm

No it isnt. Find your most comfortable grip for deadlifts and just go mental. I can still grip the same with both arms and can db row just as heavy with both arms....I always go underarm L hand and overhand R hand cos that's my natural handedness.

Remember that your deadlifts are meant to hit your lower back. If you start switching grips, you'll be lifting less than your max cos you're exercising your forearms and that isn't the idea....

shizz702
12-30-10, 10:19 pm
Deadlifts and one arm db rows were the 2 I found that seemed to work best for me.

For an effective back workout I look at it like this, deads or a variation of it should be the foundation, along with a good vertical pull, and a horizontal one. Simple as that.

Jzepp
12-30-10, 10:37 pm
No it isnt. Find your most comfortable grip for deadlifts and just go mental. I can still grip the same with both arms and can db row just as heavy with both arms....I always go underarm L hand and overhand R hand cos that's my natural handedness.

Remember that your deadlifts are meant to hit your lower back. If you start switching grips, you'll be lifting less than your max cos you're exercising your forearms and that isn't the idea....

Yeah, i just read somewhere that if you keep using the same mixed grip that it creates imbalances in your forearms.

Jzepp
12-30-10, 11:13 pm
Should deadllifts be done "touch and go" style or should you reset your grip after each rep? Does either style work more for your back thickness than the other? I know that deadlifts work your back, traps, legs, hams, forearms but does either style work more of these muscles together than the other?

Machine
12-31-10, 11:01 am
WOW!

I could write 40,000 words on this one...I think I'll spare everyone and just keep it brief.

Deadlifts are always performed last...all out effort for every movement leading up to deads...then go galactic on deads and let me know how you feel.

Try it and see.

MACHINE

Jzepp
12-31-10, 11:46 am
Why not perform first, when you are at your freshest? I don't understand.

BarbellManiac
12-31-10, 12:15 pm

Deadlifts are the most taxing exercise during a back workout, if performed first they will hinder your performance for other exercises. Deadlifts are a great finisher, because when you're done, you're done!

Deathride
12-31-10, 1:15 pm

Because you're training your back not your deadlift. As a powerlifter, I am lookin to train my deadlift so that comes first. As a bodybuilder, you want to widen your lats, grow your traps etc etc....THEN as a finisher pull as much as you can to completely use every last scrap of reserve you have. Also, you won't have to go half as heavy as you would normally....cos you'll want to pass out when you pull 135!

R-Man
12-31-10, 2:04 pm
4 sets wide grip pull ups
4 sets neutral grip pull ups
4 sets close grip pull ups
4 sets weighted pullups
4 sets of deadlifts
4 sets pulldowns
4 sets seated rows

My back is fried

zubda345
12-31-10, 2:30 pm
WOW!

I could write 40,000 words on this one...I think I'll spare everyone and just keep it brief.

Deadlifts are always performed last...all out effort for every movement leading up to deads...then go galactic on deads and let me know how you feel.

Try it and see.

MACHINE

I do this same, It always makes my back sour as fuck!! it's great!!

Machine
12-31-10, 2:32 pm
Because you're training your back not your deadlift. As a powerlifter, I am lookin to train my deadlift so that comes first. As a bodybuilder, you want to widen your lats, grow your traps etc etc....THEN as a finisher pull as much as you can to completely use every last scrap of reserve you have. Also, you won't have to go half as heavy as you would normally....cos you'll want to pass out when you pull 135!

The fellas said it way better than I could have...you must commit to working through an entire back session and then to deadlift 600 for 10 reps.

I have accomplished this...it would be nice to see all of my brothers roll right past me and blow my numbers out.

MACHINE

Jzepp
12-31-10, 3:03 pm
Ok so better to do Bentover rows, chins or pullups and then finish with heavy deadlifts for bodybuilding purposes. I will try this out next time. I do biceps after back. Will i still be ok to go heavy on my bicep exercises after pulling deads last?

BarbellManiac
12-31-10, 3:32 pm
Ok so better to do Bentover rows, chins or pullups and then finish with heavy deadlifts for bodybuilding purposes. I will try this out next time. I do biceps after back. Will i still be ok to go heavy on my bicep exercises after pulling deads last?

What I would do is after your rows and chins then hit biceps and end with deadlifts, But that's just me.

shizz702
12-31-10, 7:34 pm
Deadlifts are best done last cause they are so taxing, that if you were to do them first with true effort, the rest of your movements would suffer. Like machine said go all out on your other movements prior to them, and then when it's time to pull, give it all you got to finish the job!

Jzepp
01-05-11, 4:18 pm
How much do you guys usually pyramid up in weight between sets of deadlifts for bodybuilding purposes? I usually pyramid up in weight by 20 lbs. between sets for squats, RDL's, maybe 15 lbs. for chest, back, shoulders and 10 pounds for arms. Would 20 -30 lbs. between sets be a good start to pyramid up with deadlifts using a 8,6,4 rep range in my bodybuilding routine resting only about 2.5 minutes between sets?

NJC_Manhattan
01-05-11, 11:08 pm
Really depends on your body, but I like the following

Warm up
Lat pulldowns: 3x10
Weightless pullups: 3x10

Back
BB Rows: 5x10/8/6/6/10 (increase weight first 4, then drop to first set weight)
Dead: 5x10/8/8/4/15 (increase weight first 4, then drop to 3/4 first set weight)
DB rows: 3x10
Weighted pullups: 3xas many as you can do
Weighted hyper-extensions: 3x15
Seated cable rows: 4x30 (1/4 your max)

That should get a solid back