PDA

View Full Version : T-Bar Row or Barbell Row

mhammer12
09-23-08, 9:25 am
I am tweeking my back routine and was debating about either putting in T-Bar or Barbell Rows and I can't decide. Just looking for some advice on which would be best, thanks! My routine is listed below.

Wide Pull-Ups
Deadlifts
Cable Rows
T-Bar or Barbell Row

Brutus_515
09-23-08, 9:27 am
I am tweeking my back routine and was debating about either putting in T-Bar or Barbell Rows and I can't decide. Just looking for some advice on which would be best, thanks! My routine is listed below.

Wide Pull-Ups
Deadlifts
Cable Rows
T-Bar or Barbell Row

alternate them every 2 weeks is what i suggest. they are both great movements and needed to build a complete back. you can even add some more movements in there as well the back is a HUGE bodypart you can hit it from alot of different angles.

LittleMan55
09-23-08, 9:31 am
Hey bro I dont know how much this will help you, but what I have found works best for me is alternating the 2 weekly or preforming both. T-Bars hit your lower lats particularly hard if done correctly. BB rows help with overall thickness and width in one whack... I love them both so its a struggle for me to decide between them. Try alternating them and you should experience some solid back development.

BiG in NYC 823
09-23-08, 10:33 am
As many have already said, alternating them week to week/workout to workout is probably the best way to do it.

I know I really brought out my back by doing just as such - alternating week to week. It hits and "shocks" your back into growth.

Both are solid exercises for a complete back so DEF incorporate both of 'em.

mhammer12
09-23-08, 1:04 pm
Thanks for the advice brothers!

joe-yamma
09-23-08, 1:39 pm
i agree with the others... use both.
when it comes either (especially bb rows), leave your ego at the door,
lower the weight and be strict on form and concentrate on "feeling it" in your back.

back is probably the hardest body part to have that mind-muscle connection because it is large and complex.
i have found that when i slow down and concentrate on feeling each rep on back exercises, i get much better results.

just my $.02

mritter3
09-23-08, 4:32 pm
your putting me in a difficult postion i cannot choose between these two which is why i recommend doing them both, just not on the same day, maybe switch every 2-3 weeks.

Tiny
09-23-08, 5:57 pm
Hey bro I dont know how much this will help you, but what I have found works best for me is alternating the 2 weekly or preforming both. T-Bars hit your lower lats particularly hard if done correctly. BB rows help with overall thickness and width in one whack... I love them both so its a struggle for me to decide between them. Try alternating them and you should experience some solid back development.

I like this answer - I know, big fucking deal but I just felt like chiming in.

Elite
09-23-08, 6:05 pm
when it comes either (especially bb rows), leave your ego at the door,
lower the weight and be strict on form and concentrate on "feeling it" in your back.

Definately adhere to this. I see so many people 'pulling weight', but they are going all out, using way roo much arms, shoulders and heaps of momentum to pull. They go too fast, are too eratic, go too heavy. Prime examples for this are lat pulldowns (esp wide grip) and cable rows. Drop to a weight where you you can pull an honest weight primarily with your back and get a good squeeze. Sorry for dropping this in, i dont doubt you do this, just see too many back w/o's wasted this way.

In response to your actual Q. As stated, they are both great mass builders, incorporate both or alternate between the two and feel every rep.

LittleMan55
09-23-08, 6:11 pm
Definately adhere to this. I see so many people 'pulling weight', but they are going all out, using way roo much arms, shoulders and heaps of momentum to pull. They go too fast, are too eratic, go too heavy. Prime examples for this are lat pulldowns (esp wide grip) and cable rows. Drop to a weight where you you can pull an honest weight primarily with your back and get a good squeeze. Sorry for dropping this in, i dont doubt you do this, just see too many back w/o's wasted this way.

In response to your actual Q. As stated, they are both great mass builders, incorporate both or alternate between the two and feel every rep.

Hit the nail on the head ThirdEye!!! Do what he just said and you will get some WINGS!!!

rocky36
09-23-08, 8:44 pm

very very true. i used to be this guy he described. week after week i would throw as much weight on the bar as i could and stil be able to some how pull it to my body but my back never really grew or became stronger. i was using almost every muscle you could think of to move it. i only started to see the real gains once i lowed the weight and did perfect form with each rep, from that point on my back as blown up nicely.

i know that this wasnt your question but DO NOT be that guy your gains will never come

Joshua F
09-23-08, 11:21 pm

Wide Pull-Ups
Deadlifts
Cable Rows
T-Bar or Barbell Row

well this is what I do for Back and has work for me and many clients. I do Both movements they are the best if you want to have a well develope Back what i do is Reverse Grip BBarbell and t-bar on every work out i don't do every other week work out I just do it every week.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/gbigdtrying/DSC00798.jpg

TEMPER
09-23-08, 11:34 pm
id definitely do both..

just my 2 cents tho...
i hear tons of people that say do deadlifts first...
but i notice that if i do deads first, my lower back kinda gets "tired" so its harder for me to keep stricter form when i do bb rows.. so i always do bb rows before i deadlift..

mhammer12
09-24-08, 2:33 am
id definitely do both..

just my 2 cents tho...
i hear tons of people that say do deadlifts first...
but i notice that if i do deads first, my lower back kinda gets "tired" so its harder for me to keep stricter form when i do bb rows.. so i always do bb rows before i deadlift..

I agree with you Temper about being a little gassed after deads. I found by doing wide pull-ups warms up my back for deads and then seated cable rows after deads gives my lower back some time to adjust and then I'm able to knock out my other row movements no problem. Not sure if this is the proper thing to do but it works for me.

Again thanks for all the advice brothers.

sanga
09-24-08, 4:25 am
well this is what I do for Back and has work for me and many clients. I do Both movements they are the best if you want to have a well develope Back what i do is Reverse Grip BBarbell and t-bar on every work out i don't do every other week work out I just do it every week.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/gbigdtrying/DSC00798.jpg

It certainly does work for you, good wide back there.

sanga
09-24-08, 4:28 am

Excellent post, I too do slow controlled rows be it barbell or t.bar, I prefer barbell and d/b but always they are controlled with a contraction at the top and a stretch at the bottom.

Looking at your original post mhammer12, I`d do the Deadlifts first as follows..

Deadlifts
T-Bar or Barbell Row
Wide Pull-Ups
Cable Rows

Ady
09-24-08, 6:27 pm
Both are great exercises for thickness. I presonally prefer BB Rows but mixing in T-bar rows every few weeks will keep variation and keep you growing.

SpankyC
11-01-10, 4:39 pm
Alternate them both every week! Never ever get caught up and say I "MUST" do this! Always have vareity, aslong as your hitting the compound movements youl grow! Oh and I would do the deadlifts first, and do your rowing and chin/pulldown movements last. Or vice-versa.

Nix0r
11-01-10, 4:42 pm
Why have "or" when you can have "and."

Bootleg
11-02-10, 11:52 am

this!!

PIJW
11-02-10, 12:00 pm
I love to switch it up, some weeks i do BB rows, other weeks i do T-Bar rows, and then some weeks i do them both.

It all depends on how i feel and how much i want to thrash my back.

rmt0512
11-02-10, 8:55 pm

Truer words have never been spoken. It's all about how you feel that day. Alternating is good, but if you're up to it, do both. Overall, both are very effective in their own respect.