PDA

View Full Version : MMA Search

MassMonster
10-13-08, 12:38 pm
Ive been thinking lately about sum things... and id seriously like to take up MMa

was wondering if any of u ppl were MMa fighters or trained that way ... and could slide e sum info on where i should start

Think it'd be a good cardio set up for me ... make use of the whole body ...
but was just wondering if ne1 had ne input on it... tried to see if there was sum type of similar thread but i didnt see ne so forgive me if this has been touched upon i really didnt see nething...

jer
10-13-08, 3:50 pm
I'm in the process of looking for a place too.

This is what someone on another site told me:

A reall MMA school will cover arts in both stand up ground game. All will have one or more of these to offer.

Ground game:
Wrestling. Either Greco-Roman or Submission wrestling
Jiu-jitsu, either Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu or Japanese Jujitsu
Judo, although this is rare.

Standing:
Boxing
Muay Thai. This is NOT regular kick boxing, but kick boxing is also good.

Some schools will offer arts that encompass a mix of both standing and grappling such as Russian Sambo or Vale Tudo. Any school that will cover all aspects of hand to hand combat is what you want. No reason to waste time getting one dimensional with one discipline when you can be well rounded and prepared for anything by learning several at once. Any mixture of the above is good, but the mainstays are

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Boxing and Muay Thai.

MassMonster
10-13-08, 8:28 pm
thai boxing is sumthing im familiar with already which is pretty cool...thanx for the info bro

bobbymart
10-13-08, 8:31 pm
definetly take up BJJ submissions are a big part of the game Mui Thai is what I got started in I did not become good until I got a few years of bjj inder my belt look for a crossfit or La boxing they are both national chains and should have what you are looking for

jer
10-13-08, 9:42 pm
I'm going to check this place out this week.

http://www.ultimatemmact.com/

MassMonster
10-14-08, 11:43 am
hmm i trained with a dude a while back in sum jui jitsu stuff real basic stuff .... n acually idk if its a legal move in the octagon but he was tellin me the best way hes used t get sum1 off him on the ground was the monkey flip.... or a leg scissors around the abdoman ... hahaha cantbelieve i remember that think that was a bit back ... but ye ill go check um out for sure...

bobbymart
10-14-08, 3:08 pm
yeah sweeps are where its at I know a shit load to get people off mount but BJJ is kinda boring in the begining becasue you just drill sweeps and guard passes over and over and over and over again but it's something that needs to be done it becomes 2nd nature

jer
10-14-08, 3:48 pm
BJJ or Mui Thai?

That's my question for now. Both aren't in the budget for right now, but I can swing one class, until some funds open up for both.

bobbymart
10-14-08, 4:11 pm
BJJ IMO most people can throw an ok punch or kick not many can grapple I would start with bjj.

Cstlfx
10-14-08, 4:57 pm
BJJ or Mui Thai?

That's my question for now. Both aren't in the budget for right now, but I can swing one class, until some funds open up for both.

Wow, thats a rough decision there. To me, it doesnt matter, as long as you're not trying to take a fight anytime soon. You're going to want to learn both of them, so just pick one and go with it. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'd take Muay Thai, but thats my opinion because I like the striking aspect more. I also believe that this would help you more, if say you were attacked on the streets.

jer
10-14-08, 5:54 pm
BJJ IMO most people can throw an ok punch or kick not many can grapple I would start with bjj.

Wow, thats a rough decision there. To me, it doesnt matter, as long as you're not trying to take a fight anytime soon. You're going to want to learn both of them, so just pick one and go with it. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'd take Muay Thai, but thats my opinion because I like the striking aspect more. I also believe that this would help you more, if say you were attacked on the streets.

So that's one to one. lol

I'm going to do both once I get my finances in order. I doubt I'll ever get in the cage to fight. It's not my plan anyway. I've just done most sports out there and I don't want to look back 20 years from now and say, "fuck, I should have done it".

I just enjoy athletics in general, and what's more athletic than MMA?

I guess I'll go sit in on both classes and see which one I want to start with.

Thanks for the tips guys.

MassMonster
10-14-08, 7:59 pm

Muay Thai is more than just striking actually ... theres a good part of grappling involved in the complex movements..... id say from my opinion from observing alot of Thai fights is that if u can incorporate alot of Thai Boxing knowledge and learn ground movements and holds u got a good fighter because tha boxing is about hard speedy blows hence y u thro elbows and knees...

the most epic fight i ever saw was a thai boxer knock this guy out who outweighed him by at least a good 50-60 pds by 4 elbows to the brow and a finishing flying elbow which by the way is a type of grapple...

but thats just my opinion .... kinda a Thai boxing fanatic.... lol

bobbymart
10-14-08, 8:27 pm
I agree to an extent about thai boxing my only argument is that I see good wrestlers/bjj guys take fights with little to no stiking experience josh koscheck, matt hughes, matt hamil,old school royce gracie, hell even brock lesnar and they win fights and do good now on the other hand all the great strikers know ground work like chuck lidelle, mirko crocop, anderson silva the fact that you never see them hit the matt is just a statment on how well they know the matt they have phenominal takedown defense and the only way you can learn that is by woring on bjj/wrestling. I have four years of mui thai and 2 years of straight boxing and about 2 years of bjj under my belt ant the bjj has personaly helped me the mose... just my opinion

bobbymart
10-14-08, 8:29 pm
Muay Thai is more than just striking actually ... theres a good part of grappling involved in the complex movements..... id say from my opinion from observing alot of Thai fights is that if u can incorporate alot of Thai Boxing knowledge and learn ground movements and holds u got a good fighter because tha boxing is about hard speedy blows hence y u thro elbows and knees...

the most epic fight i ever saw was a thai boxer knock this guy out who outweighed him by at least a good 50-60 pds by 4 elbows to the brow and a finishing flying elbow which by the way is a type of grapple...

but thats just my opinion .... kinda a Thai boxing fanatic.... lol

the only real grapling thai boxing teaches is the thai clinch so yo ucan controll and reign knee's and under hooks when you are against the wall to reverse position and the only real part of thai boxing you can incorperate into ground fighting is elbowes.

MassMonster
10-14-08, 8:55 pm
the only real grapling thai boxing teaches is the thai clinch so yo ucan controll and reign knee's and under hooks when you are against the wall to reverse position and the only real part of thai boxing you can incorperate into ground fighting is elbowes.

tru... i never said thai would be good by its self but merely pointing out there are grappling moves... in it.. not just basic strikes... but all are to thro person into ground....

on that thought (and yes this is a serious question) i wonder how sumo as a add on the stand up fighting part would do against sum1 because eally u lock up alot in mma and Sumo grapple moves are kickass for using an opponent against himself... >:)

i can tag a tutorial if ne1 is lost but seriously they have sum good techniques... but yet again no sub moves.... >.>

on that note Arm bars are a Thai boxing hold as well its just tricky to pull since its a stand up game...

1 more thing b4 i end this post is it a Brazilian JuiJitsu move or a capeorica move that starts off as a kick but ends up in a hold were the opponent is still standing....

bobbymart
10-14-08, 9:24 pm
Funny you mention stand up and arm bars I have recently learned how to do flying arm bars and caught some one in one the other day as a matter of fact!! I was stoked... arm bars are just straight bjj thai class teaches no submissions.

sumo would be good but sambo or greco roman would be much better the problem with sumo is that all there moves are geared toward super heavy ppl and "clashing" in mma you use angles that is why the thai clinnch is so effective you can move you'r body while leveraging against you'r opponent tp make angles and throw knee's or elbowes same with sambo and judo you can use you'r weight (or there weight) to take the opponent down or just dirty box the hell out of em.

Cstlfx
10-14-08, 10:04 pm
I think it also depends on your body type and weight as well. I have short little legs even though I'm 5' 8". I really suck at some BJJ moves. Greco-Roman would be much more useful to a guy of my stature. I think thats why my opinion is biased against BJJ.

But I agree with you bobby, wrestlers and guys who know BJJ can go in and do pretty well without knowing much else. Even if you strike poorly, you can still hit hard. But if you're good at all of them, you're best off.

Sumo would be good for pushing people around the ring, and off of you in a clinch, but other than that, I think there are much superior martial arts. Most people are of the same weight when fighting, in sumo, they can differ by 100 pounds.

MassMonster
10-14-08, 10:19 pm
Funny you mention stand up and arm bars I have recently learned how to do flying arm bars and caught some one in one the other day as a matter of fact!! I was stoked... arm bars are just straight bjj thai class teaches no submissions.

sumo would be good but sambo or greco roman would be much better the problem with sumo is that all there moves are geared toward super heavy ppl and "clashing" in mma you use angles that is why the thai clinnch is so effective you can move you'r body while leveraging against you'r opponent tp make angles and throw knee's or elbowes same with sambo and judo you can use you'r weight (or there weight) to take the opponent down or just dirty box the hell out of em.

I think it also depends on your body type and weight as well. I have short little legs even though I'm 5' 8". I really suck at some BJJ moves. Greco-Roman would be much more useful to a guy of my stature. I think thats why my opinion is biased against BJJ.

But I agree with you bobby, wrestlers and guys who know BJJ can go in and do pretty well without knowing much else. Even if you strike poorly, you can still hit hard. But if you're good at all of them, you're best off.

Sumo would be good for pushing people around the ring, and off of you in a clinch, but other than that, I think there are much superior martial arts. Most people are of the same weight when fighting, in sumo, they can differ by 100 pounds.

Very tru... but as with anyhing theres more to the style then commercialized moves,,.....
Sumo actually as4 moves that base nothing on upper body strength but rather leg positioning...
as with Muay Thai The commercialized version of it is actuall watered down (was doing sum research since we've been conversing ) but i agree juijitsu is a well based ground tactic style... just i found out there are a few actual thai grapples that can be held for submission.... its just thai in its self was mainly used for handing single deadly blows in military combat.... but i was looking at some stuff on it and i particularly like the head scissors off that stand up... which is fuckin sweet to watch

hey heres another style known for grappling Aikido

bobbymart
10-15-08, 3:34 pm

true it may be more difficult (bjj) being a smaller person it can be done look at matt sera dude is sick and he is a little ass stalky guy same with tyson griffin and urijah fabre.

bobbymart
10-15-08, 3:35 pm
Very tru... but as with anyhing theres more to the style then commercialized moves,,.....
Sumo actually as4 moves that base nothing on upper body strength but rather leg positioning...
as with Muay Thai The commercialized version of it is actuall watered down (was doing sum research since we've been conversing ) but i agree juijitsu is a well based ground tactic style... just i found out there are a few actual thai grapples that can be held for submission.... its just thai in its self was mainly used for handing single deadly blows in military combat.... but i was looking at some stuff on it and i particularly like the head scissors off that stand up... which is fuckin sweet to watch

hey heres another style known for grappling Aikido

akido is sick its kinda like a mix between stand up jiu jitsu and judo stephen segal is a bad ass akido guy

MassMonster
10-15-08, 10:57 pm
lol kool..... that has ground subs or no?

bobbymart
10-18-08, 1:55 pm
akido has lock I guess is the best way to put it you dont really hold it like a sub. you use the joint locks to break the joint fast or throw you'r opponent.

ironshaolin
10-18-08, 7:11 pm
akido is sick its kinda like a mix between stand up jiu jitsu and judo stephen segal is a bad ass akido guy

true, although real aikido masters are hard to find. It depends on his goals, too. If he wants MMA because he wants to get into a ring and fight, Aikido is definately NOT what you want to learn. Aikido uses lots of small joint locks, such as the wrist which isn't allowed in the cage. One of Aikido's principles actually is to fight without injuring your opponent. Steven Segal took his own spin on it when he started messin everyone up.

If it is your goal to fight, my suggestion is to not limit yourself to I have to do boxing or muay thai for standup. I would suggest just picking up the yellow pages for your area and getting the numbers of every school within your area and call them to try out a class. Tell the coach or sensei what you're looking to do, try out a class and and figure out which one seems to suit your personality best.