PDA

View Full Version : Belt during legs

billmd1334
10-13-08, 2:23 pm
I've been debating on using a weight belt while doing legs for more back support. I wasn't sure if it would make any of my squats, hack squats or leg press feel awkward. Just seeing which (if any) of you guys use a belt for legs

BiG in NYC 823
10-13-08, 3:49 pm
I use it only on my heaviest of sets.

At first, it did take some time getting used to (as I never wore one) but it does prove helpful and I would suggest getting accustomed to it first.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-13-08, 3:51 pm
squats and DL and thats it, and only heavy sets or have it on loose to keep my suit up...

JUGGERNAUT
10-13-08, 3:52 pm
I wear one on the high poundage ones too, just to keep my guts in place, not so much for my back.

Giant Killer
10-13-08, 4:00 pm
I wear one on the high poundage ones too, just to keep my guts in place, not so much for my back.

Yup, LOL.

I can be caught using a belt only on my heaviest set. Other than that I want to continue to develop my core stability throughout warmups/work sets.

pmug0000
10-13-08, 10:00 pm
I'm not wearing one til I can squat 500+ atg or pull 600+ on DL's.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-13-08, 10:03 pm
I'm not wearing one til I can squat 500+ atg or pull 600+ on DL's.

500 raw, no wraps no nothin?? thats a big weight man, i still use my wraps loosely on my 500 singles

pmug0000
10-13-08, 10:08 pm
500 raw, no wraps no nothin?? thats a big weight man, i still use my wraps loosely on my 500 singles

I don't know why but I feel like up until that point I may as well keep strengthening my core and it won't be putting too much risk on my lower back. I could be wrong, but I feel like if you work up to that point gradually without a belt core strength will develop well enough that it's not too dangerous. I've got a way to go before that though so who knows maybe I'll change my mind and put one on before then, but at this point I don't plan on it.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-13-08, 10:11 pm
I don't know why but I feel like up until that point I may as well keep strengthening my core and it won't be putting too much risk on my lower back. I could be wrong, but I feel like if you work up to that point gradually without a belt core strength will develop well enough that it's not too dangerous. I've got a way to go before that though so who knows maybe I'll change my mind and put one on before then, but at this point I don't plan on it.

i agree with you on strengthing the core, thats why on my light sets i use my belt to keep my suit up... i think you should use a bet when you feel it necessary, ive hit 500 for reps with just my suit, granted that helps out of the hole but not much in the way of core support, at elast not mine..

ROC1291
10-13-08, 10:23 pm
Wearing belts for non power lifters can hinder your lower-back and abdominal core strength on squats and dead lifts. Besides... Unless you get a really nice leather one that molds to your body, then I feel they are quite cumbersome to your actual ability to lift.

I only use straps on forearms, biceps, and back. This is because I do not want the surrounding muscular tissue to reach failure before the muscle being worked achieves hypertrophy.
I've found form is much, much better on pulls and various exercises where I use straps but not belts.

BryanSmash!
10-14-08, 2:33 am
I havent ever worn a belt for lifting. But thats just me.

jer
10-14-08, 8:26 am
Everyone is gonna have THEIR opinion on what goes for them. You know you best and you have to decide what is best for you.

Personally, I wear a belt on my heaviest movements. Warm ups don't get a belt and nothing but back or legs. I'm not one of those guys that wears a belt for chest of bicep days, but whose to say that those who do are wrong? You've got to do whats right for you.

ironshaolin
10-14-08, 8:36 am
an important part of squatting heavy is pushing the gut out as you take your breath, I've found wearing a belt can help you understand how to keep your torso tight. I learned that from an article on elitefts. Typically I only use it for heaviest sets,working to 300+ on squat, or 350+ on DL. Although I throw it on for bent rows too, my back hurts on those.

Jay Nera
07-28-14, 11:19 pm
Break your belt

jwilcher
07-29-14, 12:16 am
For powerlifting it is nice. You do not wear it all the time but you do have to learn to breathe and use a belt to be efficient with one. I got a pretty thin one for my first belt from general leathercraft as they were the only ones who made a pretty soft powelifting belt on the thinner side. I think it was like $50.

Derek Kendall
07-29-14, 9:36 pm
I always side on caution. Low back injuries can be devastating. If you want to make your back strong by all means go ahead, but I always wear a belt at 4 plates no matter what. Some guys have the ability to go belt less, but they have superior low back strength.

MR. C
07-30-14, 9:46 am
I use a belt in all exercises for not only my lower back but also for stomach support. It helps to prevent hernias as well. Stops ur stomach from bursting out. Lol. Iam serious.

dante
07-30-14, 3:38 pm
I put mine one when I go above about 70% on squats and 80% on deadlifts.

P Diesel
08-01-14, 10:18 am
i try to use my belt as little as possible. it is very easy to begin to use it as a crutch. if i am working through an injury i wear it more obviously. but when i am healthy i rarely use it.

P

moparguy55
08-02-14, 9:38 am
Buddy went to a plifting gym and one of the trainers thats a recird holder told him first thing for raw benching learn to use the belt. I laughed tried it once with a craooy valeo belt and was awful. Once I git a real belt tried it again. Wow im sold on it now.
Ohp I will use a belt too.

As someone mentioned for me its to keep my guts in place. I have had pains in the hernia area before when no belt was used. Scared me into the belt lol.

naturalguy
08-02-14, 10:26 am
I don't use it for every set but I for most working sets on squats and deads. I believe in doing things as similar as possible to meet conditions. Practice how you play

P Diesel
08-02-14, 5:33 pm
I don't use it for every set but I for most working sets on squats and deads. I believe in doing things as similar as possible to meet conditions. Practice how you play

Well put, Easy!

P

MikeHerman
08-04-14, 3:33 pm
In my infancy, I thought I needed a belt to train like the big guys. But one day I was told that there was no need until I get into heavy weights. So, I took it off, and since then, my core has gotten noticeably stronger in a really short amount of time. I still use a belt on my heavy squats and deads, but that's it. I say avoid any extra support until you build a really solid foundation, and even then, only use them for heavy lifts.

P Diesel
08-05-14, 9:27 am
In my infancy, I thought I needed a belt to train like the big guys. But one day I was told that there was no need until I get into heavy weights. So, I took it off, and since then, my core has gotten noticeably stronger in a really short amount of time. I still use a belt on my heavy squats and deads, but that's it. I say avoid any extra support until you build a really solid foundation, and even then, only use them for heavy lifts.

exactly

P