PDA

View Full Version : Honey: A Discussion

NJC_Manhattan
10-13-08, 2:29 pm
Recently spoke with my doctor regarding the benefits of honey and he suggested that 1 tbsp pre-workout can have excellent effects on muscles, recovery, and even some fat loss. Now I was, and am, skeptical because of Honey's high sugar count (even the organic has staggering numbers per serving). So I thought I would come here, where the advice has everything minus the bullshit. Thanks in advance.

Pizzalamp
10-13-08, 2:33 pm
its a healthy addition to a diet when used in moderation

Arnold even recommended mixing honey into a drink during your workout
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-animal-products/organic-honey/health-benefits-of-honey.html

Giant Killer
10-13-08, 2:51 pm
The one good thing about honey that is different from sugar is that it is minimally processed, removing less of the trace vitamins and minerals from nature. It also contains antioxidants. Processed sugar can most definitely be considered more of an "empty calorie" as compared to honey.

Keep in mind though, they are both simple sugars that should be factored in when considering your macros.

adidas
10-13-08, 4:46 pm
try Mollasses or real Maple Syrup too....these plus honey are all superior to plain ol' white sugar

BigBlueBear
10-13-08, 10:31 pm
Fear not the beautiful thing known as honey my good friend. I use it post currently with some whole wheat and a shake to do some damage. And actually, I was going to start using it pre coming next week. Honey is beyond awesome... but just as Pizzalamp said, moderate it.

Cstlfx
10-13-08, 10:43 pm
Also, to any of those with allergies, having small servings of local honey throughout the week is supposed to help combat allergies.

LegendKillerJosh
10-13-08, 11:42 pm
Be sure to take it within 10 minutes of beginning to lift, you don't want to spike your insulin any longer prior to lifting.

simpleguy
10-14-08, 12:06 am
Be sure to take it within 10 minutes of beginning to lift, you don't want to spike your insulin any longer prior to lifting.

x2... use in moderation, remember a tbsp has around 17g of carbs coming from sugars

N.Rees
11-22-09, 8:01 am
What do you guys think about Honey?

- Good for bulking?
- Good for cutting?
- Allways good?
- Any negative aspects?

Every input is very much appreciated!

Peace

mritter3
11-22-09, 8:14 am
i dont see a problem with it, probally better for bulking but i dont think it will hinder a cut too bad.

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 8:31 am
I use it all of the time while bulking and when I'm cutting it's definitly going to be my escape for cravings. It gives you an amazing amount of energy (for a natural food source) and is great to use pre-workout. People were afraid of fat and now accept it... But the new enemy is sugar? I don't feel this way.

I'm more than positive your brain depends on sugar as it's main source of energy. So why not fuel it? If you guys give your cars the highest grade oil and gasoline, isn't it going to run better? I feel it's the same way for your brain... FROM EXPERIENCE. I started eating an apple and a single tbsp of honey every morning and my memory improved greatly. So much that I am now the head in each of my classes. Believe it or not.

I also feel it's a gap that so many of us bodybuilders fail to fill. Not many of us put a focus on healthy sugars and I think we should.

Any comments on this will be greatly appreciated.

atcontroller
11-22-09, 8:33 am
You can also try Agave Nectar, which is actually a healthier source if I'm not mistaken, tastes a lot like honey with a little thinner consistency.

N.Rees
11-22-09, 5:19 pm
You can also try Agave Nectar, which is actually a healthier source if I'm not mistaken, tastes a lot like honey with a little thinner consistency.

ordered a jar over the net... lets see what it can do!

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 5:35 pm
ordered a jar over the net... lets see what it can do!

How much does it cost?

TigerAce01
11-22-09, 5:38 pm
Honey is a big pre workout powerhouse for me. My favorite pre workout meal of all time is 4 slices of ezekiel toast, topped with peanut butter and raw honey. I get a huge energy rush, and a massive pump.

-Ace

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 6:08 pm
Honey is a big pre workout powerhouse for me. My favorite pre workout meal of all time is 4 slices of ezekiel toast, topped with peanut butter and raw honey. I get a huge energy rush, and a massive pump.

-Ace

My man, right here! Sounds delicious, bro. Maybe you should try out an Elvis Presley and throw some banana slices on there.

TigerAce01
11-22-09, 6:09 pm
My man, right here! Sounds delicious, bro. Maybe you should try out an Elvis Presley and throw some banana slices on there.

Done it many times! The only problem is that bananas give me some heartburn, so I tend to avoid them before a workout.

-Ace

atcontroller
11-22-09, 6:24 pm
How much does it cost?

I just get it at the regular grocery store and I think it's about 5 bucks for 24 oz.