PDA

View Full Version : Any last-minute tips?

Hercules
10-13-08, 9:03 pm
I will be in a drug-free raw push/pull meet on October 25th. You are allowed a singlet, belt, and chalk - no gear, wraps, or straps of any kind. I'll be competing in the men's 242 open class for the deadlift only (strained shoulder and can't bench). Any advice as to what to do these next couple of weeks before the meet? I have never competed before so this will be a first for me. I've read stuff on various websites, but figured I'd ask the experienced lifters here.

Thanks in advance for your time...

IRBS
10-13-08, 9:44 pm
Hit your opener if you haven't already. I usually hit my openers between 10-15 days out and then start backing down leading up to the meet. Don't touch a weight the week of the meet.

Since you are DL only, make sure you are warmed up but don't overdo it. Remember, do not take too many warmups at the meet. Here is what I do:

Let's say opener is 500:
135x5 for a couple sets to get loose
225x3
315x1
405x1

Open

That's usually it for me. Just make sure you are warm, but don't overdo it.

Most importantly relax and have some fun.

Bring plenty of drinks and snacks, good luck,
IRBS

mark
10-13-08, 9:57 pm
do some speed work this week. 50% for 6 singles - no other pulling exercises are to be done till the meet. Cut the weights on your assitance work by 25% or so while doing the same number of sets and reps as before... Also, sometime between the Sat and Mon before the meet, I would get a deep tissue massage to my legs and back, and a chiro adjustment on the Wed before the meet so that way everything is aligned the way its suppose to be.

The most important thing to remember at this point is... you can't get any stronger, but you sure as hell can get weaker.

Besides that, just relax.

eric downey
10-20-08, 12:17 am
Hit your opener if you haven't already. I usually hit my openers between 10-15 days out and then start backing down leading up to the meet. Don't touch a weight the week of the meet.

Since you are DL only, make sure you are warmed up but don't overdo it. Remember, do not take too many warmups at the meet. Here is what I do:

Let's say opener is 500:
135x5 for a couple sets to get loose
225x3
315x1
405x1

Open

That's usually it for me. Just make sure you are warm, but don't overdo it.

Most importantly relax and have some fun.

Bring plenty of drinks and snacks, good luck,
IRBS

Perfectly said sir

Hercules
10-24-08, 11:29 pm
Thank you, gentlemen. So far, I've followed your advice (with the exception of the massage). I'm feeling confident about the meet tomorrow. I weighed in this evening at 232, but I'm sure it'll be more like 238 when I step onto the platform. I'll post my results soon...