PDA

View Full Version : testing for 2nd degree, HELP

ironshaolin
10-14-08, 9:49 am
OSU animals. Some of you guys no me here, I've been part of this forum almost since the beginning. For those who know me, I teach martial arts professionally, and with weight training I've gone from the bodybuilder volume style training, to DC, powerbuilding, Dinosaur training, to now I'm working on a westside variation I found.

I am now beginning to prepare myself for my next degree of black belt. I have a training log with certain requirements that must be met over the next 6 months. None of my requirements involve weight training, yet I wish to keep my hard earned strength so I'm trying to figure out how to balance my requirements with my weight training so as to not overtrain, but still make progress.

Here's my requirements: I must do about 300 burpees every week, run 3 days, and 100 jumping jacks and 1 min of jump rope several days. Kyoshi wants us to do a 10x10x10 cycle of pushups, crunches, and knee-ins at least 4-5 days a week, which comes out to 100 pushups and 200 reps on abs 4-5 days a week. I have to go through all my forms and katas and fighting techniques several days a week, do an hour long martial art class 2x weekly, and on my own work 5 2 min rounds on a heavy bag a few days. This will go on for the next 6 months.

Most of the other instructors testing will view this as ALOT of excersise and keep it at that, but I'm sorta nuts and don't want to lose my 315lb squat or my 375 deadlift or my 245 bench that I've worked so hard to build. My current set up was this:

Monday off
Tuesday martial arts class, 1 hr
Wed: ME upper w/ bench press(1 heavy max), rows, DB press(3x10), rear delt/shrug superset.
Thurs: martial art class, 1hr
Fri: ME legs: squats working up to heavy max, uni-lateral quad move(3x10-12), posterior chain move, calves, grip, weighted abs.
Sat: running
Sun: repetition upper: pushups/pullups superset, olympic lift, biceps/triceps superset, ab circut.

I think being required to do 200reps of abs 4-5 days a week will interfere with my ability to do heavy weighted abs, so I might have to drop that. Any suggestions on a split or routine I could follow that would allow me to make gains without interfering with my training log?

InkdMuscle
10-14-08, 11:10 am
I hear ya bro. WHen i studied for my black belt in judo it was tough. And I had to do sort of the same thing. I didnt have the exercise part. But I had to study my Katas and japanese verbage like you wouldnt believe. So with studying my katas and throws and takedowns that kept me on that mat for about 1.5-2 hours everyother day. The only thing I could think of is to keep your required exercises for after your weight training and on the off days you dont hit the weights. It sounds like with all you have to do it might take you about an hour or so to complete it all. So hit the weights like you would normally do, then bam jump into what you are required to do for your 2nd degree. Other then that your guess is as good as mine bro. Good luck and I hope you nail your test.

ironshaolin
10-14-08, 7:57 pm
thanks bro, I was thinking about keeping the weights the same, doing my strength stuff after those workouts, and doing the forms/cardio stuff on alternate days, making sure to give myself 1 day a week where I do nothing.

InkdMuscle
10-14-08, 11:14 pm
thanks bro, I was thinking about keeping the weights the same, doing my strength stuff after those workouts, and doing the forms/cardio stuff on alternate days, making sure to give myself 1 day a week where I do nothing.

that might work. but from epierence and from what i have been told by the pros. you either want to save the forms/cardio for first thing in the AM or after weights due to the glycogen being depleted from you muscles. so you may try that. but yeah at least give you self a day or two off if you can. you will need plenty of rest while you are gearing up for your test. I now durring my training and studying for my belt. I was wiped almost every night. so make sure you get plenty of rest u dont want to get burned out quickly like i almost did.

ironshaolin
10-15-08, 7:57 am
you had katas in judo? I thought it was mostly based on throws and stuff. The AM cardio is typically more for diet purposes. Doing fasted cardio with your depleted glycogen helps your body go into fat stores more for energy instead of using glycogen. I don't really care about that right now, I'm just focused on doing it.

Factory
10-15-08, 5:23 pm
I think being required to do 200reps of abs 4-5 days a week will interfere with my ability to do heavy weighted abs, so I might have to drop that. Any suggestions on a split or routine I could follow that would allow me to make gains without interfering with my training log?

You're goanna be doing a ton of cardio, your abs are goanna pop either way as long as your eating clean, i'd drop the weighted abs and any abs stuff that your not doing from this, except maybe just some nightly crunches or something. you're probably goanna get pretty shredded if you keep your mass.

good luck with it.

InkdMuscle
10-15-08, 5:37 pm
you had katas in judo? I thought it was mostly based on throws and stuff. The AM cardio is typically more for diet purposes. Doing fasted cardio with your depleted glycogen helps your body go into fat stores more for energy instead of using glycogen. I don't really care about that right now, I'm just focused on doing it.

Yeah we have Katas. But im sure our Katas are way totally different then what you are practicing for. Ours are based from our throws and takedowns. Yeah I know, i tought thats what you were going for is the fat stores. But since u are just worried about getting it done Im sure any time of day is good for you then, and it will prob fit your schedule a whole lot better as well.

FeelthePain
10-17-08, 12:52 pm
When I was training for each of my higher belts, I split the Martial Arts training from the weight training - being careful to keep leg-day before the off-day from Martial Arts.

My normal schedule included the weight training days around the regular martial arts classes, so I kept that schedule - but switched all of my weight training times to Evening (making dinner my pre-workout meal).

I did all the additional belt preparation stuff in the mornings - got up an hour or so earlier to fit it all in. Same as weight training, schedule out what you will work on which days. You can adjust start times, once you get your routine down.

When I did this - I also cut out direct abdominal work from my weight training, because there was such an increase of it in the Martial Arts training. No need to double dip...

Again - The only caution is Leg Day - put that before your off-day from martial arts. Forms and stances can really get the blood flowing in the legs - you'll need a solid day off after leg day to avoid any possibility of injury - which could set back both weight training and martial arts.

Best of Luck!

ironshaolin
10-17-08, 10:43 pm
When I was training for each of my higher belts, I split the Martial Arts training from the weight training - being careful to keep leg-day before the off-day from Martial Arts.

My normal schedule included the weight training days around the regular martial arts classes, so I kept that schedule - but switched all of my weight training times to Evening (making dinner my pre-workout meal).

I did all the additional belt preparation stuff in the mornings - got up an hour or so earlier to fit it all in. Same as weight training, schedule out what you will work on which days. You can adjust start times, once you get your routine down.

When I did this - I also cut out direct abdominal work from my weight training, because there was such an increase of it in the Martial Arts training. No need to double dip...

Again - The only caution is Leg Day - put that before your off-day from martial arts. Forms and stances can really get the blood flowing in the legs - you'll need a solid day off after leg day to avoid any possibility of injury - which could set back both weight training and martial arts.

Best of Luck!

good stuff man. I think I might try that type of set, although I work evenings so I could do the gym on mon/wed/fri in the morning with my requirements at night, and I have my class tues/thurs.

sanga
10-18-08, 4:15 am
The burpees alone a re a killer, I did a whole year of bodyweight (some weights) training in 2007 along with a lot of bag work and boxing, hill sprints with weight on my back and the like, although I loved it at the time I got a few injuries and yearned for the heavy weights and the gym again so switched back.

During my time training last year I built up to 100 burpees and I mean full burpees every single morning along with plyometrics and stretching, at first I couldn`t do 10 full burpees but after a few months I was away and kept on with it until I could do around 240-245 straight off, I used to race the clock every morning.

In all the time I did this type of training I didn`t use weights on my abs, too much I felt, my abs looked so much better and I was a whole lot more flexible, I still don`t train abs with weights to this day, I don`t feel abs should look too bulky so go with the slow squeezing higher rep range for all ab exercises.

All the best to you mate, hope everything goes well.