PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Gear

Big Wides
10-14-08, 10:59 am
Figured this could be a place where we can come to discuss the different options out there in regards to Powerlifting Gear. Whether its to compare different shirts, ask a simple question, or if you just wanting to learn more about the stuff out there before you purchase it this thread could be a useful tool. We have a lot of geared lifters out there who can help with their advice.....I just ask that this thread not turn into a bashing thread of the different companies....

brandonA
10-14-08, 11:38 am
On that note...

Anyone get a hold of a Super Katana yet? I am going to buy a new shirt, but still deciding between the SK and the mighty Rage X.....I like the Super due to the 2" scoop neck from the factory...My current shirt is a standard rage that chokes me out....

I know IRBS is rocking a regular Katana and loves it.....

-B

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 11:44 am
I'm looking at the Metal Pro Deadlifter and Squatter suits. I know two people who have them, and they really like them. If anyone has any feedback on the Metal suits, I would appreciate it . Thanks in advance for your time.

IRBS
10-14-08, 11:53 am
On that note...

Anyone get a hold of a Super Katana yet? I am going to buy a new shirt, but still deciding between the SK and the mighty Rage X.....I like the Super due to the 2" scoop neck from the factory...My current shirt is a standard rage that chokes me out....

I know IRBS is rocking a regular Katana and loves it.....

-B

The Single Ply Katana beats the single ply RageX IMO. I have never worn a Double RageX, but I hear the single Katana is comperable to the Double RageX. Plus, you cant beat Ken Anderson's service. I had a Single RageX a little over a year ago and never quite figured it out...

My Katana has about a 1in scoop on it, I love it. Doesnt choke me out at all, LOL.

I'm looking at the Metal Pro Deadlifter and Squatter suits. I know two people who have them, and they really like them. If anyone has any feedback on the Metal suits, I would appreciate it . Thanks in advance for your time.

I have the Ace Pro briefs and they are killer. Took me a while to get them broken in, and if you dont get them seated properly, you will be fighting them all day. I really would like to get a regular Pro Squatter. I have heard nothing but good things.

I had a Conventional Pro Deadlifter a while back and it was pretty sick. Hard to get to the bar, but the pop off the floor was crazy. I out grew it pretty quickly and that made it impossible to get to the bar, so I sold it. You cant go wrong with the Metal Pro line in Squat and Deadlift Suits for multi-ply gear IMO.

Single Ply, Titan owns the market.

Yes, I am a gear whore,
IRBS

brandonA
10-14-08, 12:04 pm
The gym is mostly Titan gear. My training partner is loyal to Inzer shirts, he loves his ACE breifs, but wore a pair of Dual Quads under his Ace Squatter...He is selling the Ace Squatter and going back to a Laviton canvas.

I have seen some major lifts out of single ply Titan gear, I am very impressed with the whole line.

Did you see Jackass' 950 squat in Boss gear? Fucking sick, like he had a spring up his ass....The metal has a good rep, but the whole over seas thing buggs me...I dont know anyone that uses a Metal shirt....

-B

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 12:05 pm
I have the Ace Pro briefs and they are killer. Took me a while to get them broken in, and if you dont get them seated properly, you will be fighting them all day. I really would like to get a regular Pro Squatter. I have heard nothing but good things.

I had a Conventional Pro Deadlifter a while back and it was pretty sick. Hard to get to the bar, but the pop off the floor was crazy. I out grew it pretty quickly and that made it impossible to get to the bar, so I sold it. You cant go wrong with the Metal Pro line in Squat and Deadlift Suits for multi-ply gear IMO.

Single Ply, Titan owns the market.

Yes, I am a gear whore,
IRBS
Thanks IRBS! I had the same gear whore problem when I played goalie, lol. My PL buddies Matt and Ryan swear by their Metal suits, so it looks like that's the way to go. Any advice on breaking in a suit or getting the damn thing on if you normally don't have any help? If I get the DL or squatter suit, I was planning on getting the Titan suit slippers, but I'm not sure what else I could do. I'm a noob.

brandonA
10-14-08, 12:15 pm
Thanks IRBS! I had the same gear whore problem when I played goalie, lol. My PL buddies Matt and Ryan swear by their Metal suits, so it looks like that's the way to go. Any advice on breaking in a suit or getting the damn thing on if you normally don't have any help? If I get the DL or squatter suit, I was planning on getting the Titan suit slippers, but I'm not sure what else I could do. I'm a noob.

Soaking helps...My partner had to use a basket ball to open the legs up a bit. Stuff the flat ball in the legs and pump till you can't any more, soak all the seams with water, keep them wet as you can.

Suit slippers are magic...I wear a pair of UA compression shorts...the long ones..they work good as well....

-B

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 12:45 pm
Soaking helps...My partner had to use a basket ball to open the legs up a bit. Stuff the flat ball in the legs and pump till you can't any more, soak all the seams with water, keep them wet as you can.

Suit slippers are magic...I wear a pair of UA compression shorts...the long ones..they work good as well....

-B
Right on, I was going to do that! I have a pair of Inzer briefs I can ALMOST pull on my fat ass, but it needs a little more stretch. I have cheapie compression shorts, I'll try that also. Thanks, brandona.

IRBS
10-14-08, 12:48 pm
The gym is mostly Titan gear. My training partner is loyal to Inzer shirts, he loves his ACE breifs, but wore a pair of Dual Quads under his Ace Squatter...He is selling the Ace Squatter and going back to a Laviton canvas.

I have seen some major lifts out of single ply Titan gear, I am very impressed with the whole line.

Did you see Jackass' 950 squat in Boss gear? Fucking sick, like he had a spring up his ass....The metal has a good rep, but the whole over seas thing buggs me...I dont know anyone that uses a Metal shirt....

-B

Yeah, Mark's Boss/Boss combo looked pretty sick. I think Titan is going to creep in to the Multi-Ply market soon, at least in the Squat and DL.

Get used to Squatting to a high box and slowly working down. My Ace Pro's wouldnt get down with anything less than 500 when I first got them. Just wear them every week for a couple months and they will break in nicely.

-B

This works as well. I didnt do this, but I know others who have.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-14-08, 12:51 pm
Right on, I was going to do that! I have a pair of Inzer briefs I can ALMOST pull on my fat ass, but it needs a little more stretch. I have cheapie compression shorts, I'll try that also. Thanks, brandona.

LOL i have a pair of HD briefs and that is the sinlge most akward and horrible piece of gear to put on... i can barely get my thighs through the holes, after much pulling of skin and brief, combined with a bit of prayingh and swearing they come on... so i think you need to fight just a bit more to get in them, they are well worth all the effort IMO.. and the pair i got is supposed to be a size bigger than what i need if remember corrctly..

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 12:54 pm
LOL i have a pair of HD briefs and that is the sinlge most akward and horrible piece of gear to put on... i can barely get my thighs through the holes, after much pulling of skin and brief, combined with a bit of prayingh and swearing they come on... so i think you need to fight just a bit more to get in them, they are well worth all the effort IMO.. and the pair i got is supposed to be a size bigger than what i need if remember corrctly..
I hear that! Luckily I'm on a cut right now, so I might have a prayer of ever getting these dam n things on, along with stretching and soaking and waving a divining fork at them, etc.. I gave up while I was bulking because it was too much of a struggle to fight with them by myself.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-14-08, 1:00 pm
I hear that! Luckily I'm on a cut right now, so I might have a prayer of ever getting these dam n things on, along with stretching and soaking and waving a divining fork at them, etc.. I gave up while I was bulking because it was too much of a struggle to fight with them by myself.

LOL im cutting too, and so far it has made just a bit of a difference. i never really thought about soaking them, they smelled horrible so my momma doing her motherly thing washed them in cold water, and i think that may have helped not sure.. but either way my inzer briefs are awesome and i dont enjoy training wthout them..

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 1:05 pm
LOL im cutting too, and so far it has made just a bit of a difference. i never really thought about soaking them, they smelled horrible so my momma doing her motherly thing washed them in cold water, and i think that may have helped not sure.. but either way my inzer briefs are awesome and i dont enjoy training wthout them..
I think I'll soak those briefs and stretch them out with a big ol plumbers clamp, just to get it started, I have to buy a football at Wal-Mart later today. I need the briefs to get some practice in before I buy the Metal DL suit.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-14-08, 1:07 pm
I think I'll soak those briefs and stretch them out with a big ol plumbers clamp, just to get it started, I have to buy a football at Wal-Mart later today. I need the briefs to get some practice in before I buy the Metal DL suit.

OOO goin al out for a METAL suit!!! very nice.. im just trying to get the new TITAN NGX suit.. wanna help out? lol

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 1:18 pm
OOO goin al out for a METAL suit!!! very nice.. im just trying to get the new TITAN NGX suit.. wanna help out? lol
Yeah - pimpin ain't easy. Only the best, my nizzle!
I have a bag of beer cans you can have to cash in on your Titan suit, if you want, lol.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-14-08, 1:23 pm
Yeah - pimpin ain't easy. Only the best, my nizzle!
I have a bag of beer cans you can have to cash in on your Titan suit, if you want, lol.

lol i can get that easily if i go visit some of my friends at otehr schools... naa im hoping the mom will be nice and buy it for me since that and a trip to Midland TX to go to a meet is all i want for the holiday season..

i know metal makes great gear, its just so damn expensive

Brick By Brick
10-14-08, 1:34 pm
lol i can get that easily if i go visit some of my friends at otehr schools... naa im hoping the mom will be nice and buy it for me since that and a trip to Midland TX to go to a meet is all i want for the holiday season..

i know metal makes great gear, its just so damn expensive
I think I'm a sucker for almost anything with a Viking logo.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-14-08, 1:37 pm
I think I'm a sucker for almost anything with a Viking logo.

LOL they do have a awesome logo... the viking pullng the chain out of the ground...

mark
10-15-08, 9:45 am
I have a new Super Katana on the way, and will let y'all know how it works after I use it.

Also, have Metal King V-type as well, and will update on that too.

Metal double ply gear is hard to beat. If your looking for more rebound power, you're not going to beat Metal Pro/Ace. For stopping power, Titan Boss is probably the best poly and Inzer Leviathon best canvas.

I'm A Proud Whore,
mark

SQUAT or DIE!
10-16-08, 2:26 am
ok so ive noticed some people have already mentioned the gear they use, but i want to know all the gear you use..

I use a Inzer Rage shirt
Inzer Z suit for squat/DL
and a pair of Inzer HD briefs
with 2M knee wraps.
10mm forever belt

will be getting a TITAN NGX suit in a few months...

Cstlfx
10-16-08, 2:52 am
Right now I use:

11mm APT single prong powerbelt
Phantom(2.5m) and RWB(2m) wraps for practice
I plan on using Stangulator(2.5m) or Black Mamba(3m) for competing.

I wont use other gear until I've competed a few times and get my weight up. It'd be fun to use though.

mark
10-16-08, 5:06 am
SINGLE PLY
-Metal King V-type
-Super Katana
-Metal King Sumo Puller

DOUBLE PLY
-Squat: KK Denim Squat Suit & Metal Ace Briefs
-Bench: Getting new double ply Super Katana
-Deadlift: Ace Briefs and Leviathan

WRAPS
-Convicts
-Strangulators
-TP5000s

Squat_Heavy
10-16-08, 5:23 am
I am a metalwhore in terms of gear. I tried singleply rage x, fury, f6 and they all fuckin sucked... Until i got my first metal viking bencher my shirted bench just fucking sucked. Now i am currently rocking a singleply KING presser which is kinda scooped. Havent tried katanas so cant really compare em. For deadlifts i use a singleply KING deadlifter which i will get altered to have velcro straps. As for squatsuits i am gonna give the PRo briefs and pro suit a try.

IRBS
10-16-08, 8:50 am
SQUAT: Metal Ace Pro Briefs and Single Ply Metal Viking V-Type Squatter
BENCH: Single Ply Titan Katana with a 1in scoop
Deadlift: Single Ply Metal Viking V-Type Squatter

Wraps:
36in APT Convict Pro Wrist Wraps
3m Convict Pro Knee Wraps

Hoping to get a Metal Pro Squatter over the next year or so

Brick By Brick
10-16-08, 10:39 am
Strangulator wrist wraps.
Cheap white knee wraps, no brand.
13mm double prong belt.
Inzer briefs I've never been able to get on.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-16-08, 10:41 am
Strangulator wrist wraps.
Cheap white knee wraps, no brand.
13mm double prong belt.
Inzer briefs I've never been able to get on.

ya gotta want it brick!!! i get those lil areas where blood is forced into the skin when i wear my briefs...

brandonA
10-16-08, 10:44 am
Elite Retro Power Belt
24" Convict Wrist wraps
Single ply size 52 Rage...Too tight, need well over 400 to touch (not that strong, YET!!!)

Have a set of Titan Dual Quad Boxer briefs on order, this will be my 3rd size attempt...This time I am going large, and if they are too big, I will get them taken in...

-B

SQUAT or DIE!
10-16-08, 10:45 am
Elite Retro Power Belt
24" Convict Wrist wraps
Single ply size 52 Rage...Too tight, need well over 400 to touch (not that strong, YET!!!)

Have a set of Titan Dual Quad Boxer briefs on order, this will be my 3rd size attempt...This time I am going large, and if they are too big, I will get them taken in...

-B

i got a 54 thats to big... wanna trade? lol

brandonA
10-16-08, 10:51 am

My last pair were a 54, too small, got them with in 6 inches of being on, and they froze. Tried they with tight compression shorts on, no go...Had my partners pulling me off the ground by the top...no go...LOL....my hips and thighs are just too damn big.....so I am going to just skip to the 58's and see how that works....Thanks for the offer....

-B

brandonA
10-16-08, 10:54 am

Or do you meant the shirt? Sorry, i got briefs on the brain. I slit the back to see if that is going to work for me....It is an old shirt, hand me down...I think I will hang on to it for a bit longer....but I will let ya know....

-B

SQUAT or DIE!
10-16-08, 10:54 am
My last pair were a 54, too small, got them with in 6 inches of being on, and they froze. Tried they with tight compression shorts on, no go...Had my partners pulling me off the ground by the top...no go...LOL....my hips and thighs are just too damn big.....so I am going to just skip to the 58's and see how that works....Thanks for the offer....

-B

i meant the rage shirt... my bad, my 54 is to big and you said your 52 is to small.. was curious if you think a 54 would be big enough for you.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-16-08, 10:58 am
Or do you meant the shirt? Sorry, i got briefs on the brain. I slit the back to see if that is going to work for me....It is an old shirt, hand me down...I think I will hang on to it for a bit longer....but I will let ya know....

-B

cool no problem.. im just to broke to afford a new shirt so i was jsut checkin.

Hartschuh
10-16-08, 3:00 pm
Here's what I use currently:

SQ: Metal Ace Squatter and Metal Viking Briefs
BP: Inzer DD (Training), Metal Pro Bencher (Meet), and I'll probably be getting a tricked out Double Rage X after the first of the year
DL: Singlet as of right now, but I'm going to give pulling in my briefs or my Ace a shot before the State Meet in March '09.

Wraps:
Metal All Black 2.5m Knee Wraps
Metal All Black 80cm Wrist Wraps
Also planning on getting a pair of either Convicts or Strangulators after the first of the year as well.

brandonA
10-29-08, 11:39 am
Just ordered a Metal Viking Squatter...Got a good deal on it.

In a few weeks I will get getting a Rage X single ply shirt...

Also bought a brand new pair of APT Black Mamba wrist wraps off a guy at the gym for 5 bucks...24" long...very nice...used them in my meet..I will be getting the strangulators soon, but not so much of a hurry now....

-B

IRBS
10-29-08, 12:40 pm
Just ordered a Metal Viking Squatter...Got a good deal on it.

In a few weeks I will get getting a Rage X single ply shirt...

Also bought a brand new pair of APT Black Mamba wrist wraps off a guy at the gym for 5 bucks...24" long...very nice...used them in my meet..I will be getting the strangulators soon, but not so much of a hurry now....

-B

Sweet. I think you will like it. I have an older Metal Viking V-Type as my squat suit, it is a solid suit and gives great support for SUmo Pulls.

T. Kemble
11-07-08, 12:46 pm
oh god i miss talking gear....
i use...

squat:
metal ace pro 2 ply
dead:
inzer max dl single ply
bench:
inzer radial DD grid stitched with reinforced neck and sleves taken up 1/2 an inch.

inzer knee wraps and APT black mamba wrist wraps

IRBS
11-07-08, 12:55 pm
Gotta update what I use:

Squat:
Metal Ace Pro Briefs
Metal Pro Squatter w/velcro straps (this is the new addition)
APT Strangulator Knee Wraps

Bench:
Titan Katana A/S with a reinforced collar and extra torso length
APT 36in Convict Pro Wrist Wraps

Deadlift:
Metal Viking Squatter (until I can swing a Pro Deadlifter)

Belt:
Inzer 13mm 2-Prong Forever Belt

prowrestler
11-07-08, 7:33 pm
my bench shirt is the animal red iconic T lol!!!

i havent made it far enough to start using gear. i want more raw strength and 3 months prior to the meet, ill include lifting in gear.

im probably gonna go with inzer

mark
11-07-08, 10:15 pm
Will,

You might want to try pulling in the Pro Squatter. I've heard lots of positive feed back on pulling both conventional and sumo in that suit.

thelunchbox
11-08-08, 12:51 am
I got a buddy that swears by metal gear. I like inzer belts

Cstlfx
11-08-08, 1:56 am
Anyone ever try the Inzer Power-Ratchet belt? It looks very intriguing, wondering if its worth a crap.

IRBS
11-08-08, 7:30 am
Will,

You might want to try pulling in the Pro Squatter. I've heard lots of positive feed back on pulling both conventional and sumo in that suit.

Thanks Mark, I will definately give it a try!

brandonA
11-11-08, 7:02 pm
I am sending back my Viking Squatter and returning it for a size 58 IPF king squatter v-type. The Viking is too big and I got the regular stance thinking that I did not squat wide enough to need the v-type. Wrong, this suit is for the narrow guys. So I am raw doging it for a few more weeks...Oh the fun of finding that perfect fit...But at least with the v-type, I can pull sumo in it as well....

-B

IRBS
11-11-08, 8:03 pm
I am sending back my Viking Squatter and returning it for a size 58 IPF king squatter v-type. The Viking is too big and I got the regular stance thinking that I did not squat wide enough to need the v-type. Wrong, this suit is for the narrow guys. So I am raw doging it for a few more weeks...Oh the fun of finding that perfect fit...But at least with the v-type, I can pull sumo in it as well....

-B
You will like the v-type cut B. I have heard good things about the King material too...

-Define Your Self-
11-13-08, 8:52 pm
my last single ply meet i used
centurion w/s w/ velcro-forsale...
rage x
an old max dl

been trainin double ply lately and using
preds and leviathon
a double denim
prob just pull in preds too havent used gear to pull in a long time

Cstlfx
02-01-09, 3:08 am
I was thinking of dipping into gear. Oh no!!! I was thinking of just getting some of the basic, dirt cheap stuff Inzer offers. Like the Standard Blast Shirt and the Z or Champion Suit.

For a beginner would you recommend this for just getting in, and trying this stuff out to see if I enjoy it? My weights arent that high at the moment, which is why I didnt think I would want any higher than basic.

Little Houghton
02-19-09, 12:30 pm
What would you guys recommend? I used someone elses Centurion today and it was cool, it was a little loose but did the job well, but how would this compare to one of the metal ipf suits? It would be one of the wide stance/v type ones, has anyone used the king material?

IRBS
02-19-09, 12:49 pm
What would you guys recommend? I used someone elses Centurion today and it was cool, it was a little loose but did the job well, but how would this compare to one of the metal ipf suits? It would be one of the wide stance/v type ones, has anyone used the king material?

For a Single Ply Suit go with Titan. Theres a reason that all of the best singly ply squatters are wearing Titan gear...

Little Houghton
02-19-09, 12:53 pm
For a Single Ply Suit go with Titan. Theres a reason that all of the best singly ply squatters are wearing Titan gear...

Thanks irbs, do you know of anywhere that would have the super centurion for a little lower price or just have a size 40 in stock? i havent found it yet, but i dont know the sites to look at either.

IRBS
02-19-09, 1:15 pm
Thanks irbs, do you know of anywhere that would have the super centurion for a little lower price or just have a size 40 in stock? i havent found it yet, but i dont know the sites to look at either.

There are a few different distributors out there:

Anderson Powerlifting
Lifting Large
PLGearOnline

Those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head. You could always look for used gear on ebay and some of the powerlifting message boards. You can get to them from powerliftingwatch.com

Little Houghton
02-26-09, 8:47 am
What do you guys recommend as a first shirt? should i also just stick to titan on this or are the metals good here? cause they have the viking bencher or x type on elitefts for 115 and 120, and im always down for savin some money! but i want to have a good shirt also, so what do you think?

IRBS
02-26-09, 9:18 am
What do you guys recommend as a first shirt? should i also just stick to titan on this or are the metals good here? cause they have the viking bencher or x type on elitefts for 115 and 120, and im always down for savin some money! but i want to have a good shirt also, so what do you think?

I would stay away from Metal Bench Shirts. I have heard nothing good about them from anybody....

As for an introductory shirt, my first shirt was a Titan F6 (around $100), you could also go with a Titan Fury. Inzer makes some good introductory shirts as well for around $100.

Whatever you decide to get, find some powerlifters to help you the first time you get in it. It will make your life much easier than trying to figure it all out on your own.

Good luck.

brandonA
02-26-09, 11:24 am
I would stay away from Metal Bench Shirts. I have heard nothing good about them from anybody....

As for an introductory shirt, my first shirt was a Titan F6 (around $100), you could also go with a Titan Fury. Inzer makes some good introductory shirts as well for around $100.

Whatever you decide to get, find some powerlifters to help you the first time you get in it. It will make your life much easier than trying to figure it all out on your own.

Good luck.

I agree, although the new Ace seems to be a pretty good shirt, but def not for a beginner...My 1st shirt was and still is a hand me down Inzer Rage. But like Will said, more important than the shirt is finding someone to teach you how to use it...

-B

Little Houghton
02-26-09, 12:31 pm
Alright cool thanks guys, and i have some pretty knowledgeable people i train with so i dont think that will be too big of a problem. What about a katana? is that too much shirt for a beginner?

IRBS
02-26-09, 1:37 pm
Alright cool thanks guys, and i have some pretty knowledgeable people i train with so i dont think that will be too big of a problem. What about a katana? is that too much shirt for a beginner?

If you get it loose enough it would be ok. Not as cheap if $$ are a concern though.

Little Houghton
03-29-09, 6:48 pm
how tight are they supposed to be? im guessing extremely? i tried on some metal pro's today but they were fairly lose, i got in and out of them pretty easily by myself, but i didnt feel much of a difference at all really, so are they just not that helpful or are they supposed to be super tight?

SQUAT or DIE!
03-29-09, 7:02 pm
how tight are they supposed to be? im guessing extremely? i tried on some metal pro's today but they were fairly lose, i got in and out of them pretty easily by myself, but i didnt feel much of a difference at all really, so are they just not that helpful or are they supposed to be super tight?

mine are harder to get on than either of my suits.... tight is good, uncomfortable is better. IMO

Little Houghton
03-29-09, 7:06 pm
mine are harder to get on than either of my suits.... tight is good, uncomfortable is better. IMO

ok thats what i was thinkin. do you order them extra small or anything or is that already accounted for in the sizing?

mark
03-29-09, 7:36 pm
If your testicles don't feel like their in your throat when you squat down, then they're too loose.

IRBS
03-29-09, 8:11 pm
If your testicles don't feel like their in your throat when you squat down, then they're too loose.

x2...your nuts should be extremely uncomfortable.....