PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready?

Cstlfx
10-15-08, 12:51 am
I keep asking myself that, I have no idea. Maybe its just nerves. I have a meet in 7 weeks, the first I'll be doing. I'll be in the 275 division because of my gut. I can deadlift 405, squat 415, but I can only put up 275 on bench, maybe a little bit more on a good day. I recently (month and a half ago) came off a really bad back strain. Should I hold off and work diligently for a later date? Or should I go a do this meet with my low stats?

rocky36
10-15-08, 12:55 am
id go in even if you dont win you would see where you are at amoung others in your weightclass and it would give you a goal to shoot for.. But i would only enter if your back is back to 100 percent. There would be no point in entering it and fucking your self up then being out with a back injury again

BryanSmash!
10-15-08, 3:03 am
id go in even if you dont win you would see where you are at amoung others in your weightclass and it would give you a goal to shoot for.. But i would only enter if your back is back to 100 percent. There would be no point in entering it and fucking your self up then being out with a back injury again

right on. x2

Brick By Brick
10-15-08, 11:36 am
If you think you can make a better showing later on when your back is healed, you might skip it. Just my worthless two cents.

IRBS
10-15-08, 11:41 am
If it's your first meet go lift, have fun, and dont worry about where you will place. Just try to go out and set some PR's.

I hate it when people think that they shouldnt compete unless theyre putting up World Records! This is a fun sport, meant to be FUN! Go out and lift and have a blast! Meets are great and you will probably get some great pointers and get to see some cool stuff in person that you usually dont get to see or experience.

Dont make excuses as to why you shouldnt compete, or you will ALWAYS find yourself making excuses..........

Have some fun and stop worrying about the little crap that doesnt matter,
IRBS

Big Wides
10-15-08, 11:57 am
Fuck it....go out, compete, have fun, meet new people, and learn new things. Experience will carry you through all the meets you go to, which in the end makes you a better lifter

Cstlfx
10-15-08, 6:20 pm
Thanks you guys. Its good to have a kick in the ass. There's no one around me who powerlifts, so sometimes nerves get the better of me. Good to have some people in my corner!

McFly
10-16-08, 3:14 pm
if you feel healthy go for it! no reason not to!

RYNOC
10-18-08, 1:59 pm
If this is your first meet, go for it and like someone above said HAVE FUN! don't worry about your weights to much. A big part of going to meets esp in the begining is gaining experience.I say go for it, get some good "meet quality lifts" in and have fun!

eric downey
10-21-08, 11:21 am
Have fun with it bro. My first meet was done with just 3 weeks of prep. You'll have a blast no matter what happens.

brandonA
10-21-08, 2:52 pm
I agree, go with it...My back was so fucked for my 1st meet, I could hardly walk out after it was over..I went home and laid on an ice bag for the rest of the day....

If you are unsure of how you will do , make sure your openers are a range that you cant miss, then stack on the weight for the next too....

and have fun...it is all worth it...

-B