PDA

View Full Version : Incline chest on smith, rest before push

Zacharicus
10-15-08, 5:20 am
Fellas,

Just wanted to share an exercise that I think works great. Incline chest on smith machine with a twist. After doing a good 3-4 sets normal incline. I mix it up by setting the 'safety stops' just so that the bar rests at my chest, so I actually get a 2 second 'rest' as the bar is close to my chest, then push it up like normal, slowly down and 2 sec pause again. For me, this feels really good. I do 3 sets until failure.

It almost sounds easier than normal incline, but it's hard as hell. Obviously using heavy weights.

If my description made any sense, have you tried this and what's your thoughts?

sanga
10-15-08, 6:25 am
Similar to Mentzers rest pause reps he used to do, works well on the range of motion you are weakest at, I`d only do it every 3rd workout to failure myself as too often can lead to overtraining.

Atom
10-15-08, 8:41 am
These take out all the 'elastic energy' that is created whilst performing 'normal' reps. They hit deep into the muscle fibres. After all your full range pressing try doing these with a slightly shortened range of motion stopping the bar perhaps 3-4 inches from the chest (removes some of the assistance of the front delt), drive up and squeeze the pecs hard at the top of each rep. Work really well superset with a machine fly movement as a finisher

joe-yamma
10-15-08, 9:51 am
good exercise (technique). just pausing at different points throughout the range (start, middle, end) also works well.

i also like decline in the smith...
since i'm not worrying about balancing the weight, i can relly focus on contracting my pecs.
i also use a pause (2-3 seconds) at the bottom of the rep.

Enforcer
10-15-08, 10:17 am
Fellas,

Just wanted to share an exercise that I think works great. Incline chest on smith machine with a twist. After doing a good 3-4 sets normal incline. I mix it up by setting the 'safety stops' just so that the bar rests at my chest, so I actually get a 2 second 'rest' as the bar is close to my chest, then push it up like normal, slowly down and 2 sec pause again. For me, this feels really good. I do 3 sets until failure.

It almost sounds easier than normal incline, but it's hard as hell. Obviously using heavy weights.

If my description made any sense, have you tried this and what's your thoughts?

I have done it and love it. I love the stretch you get at the bottom and it makes it a lot harder bc it is as if you are pushing dead weight. I have done this on the smith, barbell, and even with DB's.

TylerC
10-15-08, 1:15 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaKNznWCBEU

there is Dennis James and Dennis Wolf doing this on the incline smith, they use start this technique around 1:43

I have yet to try it yet but it's on my list of things to do.

Zacharicus
10-16-08, 4:00 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaKNznWCBEU

there is Dennis James and Dennis Wolf doing this on the incline smith, they use start this technique around 1:43

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! Great to see others enjoying the same thing. I might add I don't do it every chest session, but I do like to throw this in every 2-3 session.

NickSP
10-16-08, 11:46 am
Yup, there's no "elastic" energy to kind of rebound off of (pretty sure that's what it's called) which there is at least some even if you don't bounce it off your chest. We used to do that starting at the bottom position of a squat to help build explosive power for wrestling. Probably a more useful tool for a powerlifter than for bodybuilding purposes.