PDA

View Full Version : close grip or wide for barbell curls??

hatebreedXXX69
10-15-08, 1:21 pm
what would stimulate my biceps more and make those bastards grow??a wide grip or closer grip on my barbell curls??thanks

Enforcer
10-15-08, 1:28 pm
what would stimulate my biceps more and make those bastards grow??a wide grip or closer grip on my barbell curls??thanks

Both. Variation is what you need to help promote new muscle growth

Cstlfx
10-15-08, 1:33 pm
Yep, use both. Close grip to hit the outer head, and wide grip to hit the inner head.

MojoMike36
10-15-08, 1:40 pm
Do both. Wide grip BB curls are usually the best because the inner head is what usually equates to more outward and upward bulge.

Universal Rep
10-15-08, 1:44 pm
Both. Variation is what you need to help promote new muscle growth

x2. Variation. Hit 'em in diff ways.

azza30
10-15-08, 2:15 pm
Most people do not need to worry about the difference of a few inches between hand grips on curls. I say you can stimulate your bi's enough with heavy back work, and an optimal grip on curls for you, normally alittle more than shoulder width. Unless you've already got hyooge guns, you'll probably just overtrain doing too many different exercise for bi's in one workout.

Work real hard at one exercise.

Roland
10-15-08, 2:18 pm
What will make them grow? Progressive weights is what will...and progressive eating, you have to overload those fuckers and force them to get adapted to heavier weights... it's how you will make most of the gains, doesn't really matter if it's close or wide grip, don't worry about that when trying to build a solid base...once you got that base down you can start painting the house and throw in extra close or wide grip work. Remember, good form. KISS=KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

ironshaolin
10-15-08, 2:41 pm
Yeah the best way to make them grow is to EAT MORE FOOD!!!! Eat like a man, and start adding weight every session. When you can curl 150lbs for 10 strict reps, I don't care what grip you use but they will be bigger.

Want a challenge? Try doing 1 arm barbell curls. Do like a hammer curl, but with a barbell. You wanna get real strong? Add an overhead press with that bar.

Kludwig64
10-15-08, 9:59 pm
since we're on the topic of biceps. my current split has me doing chest/bis and back/tris. does it make sense to do it that way? or would it make more sense to keep bis with back and tris with chest. i just dont want to overtrain.

theharjmann
10-16-08, 10:21 am
this worked for me and 3 of my friends. it may not work for you, but whoever i talk to it worked for so give it a go if you have not already.

Do back on say day1 and then chest on day2. Then rest for 3 days at least and then on like day 5 or 6 dedicate a whole day to arms. Smash those arms up on one session.

On back day do one drop set of abut 40 reps on cable curls or something to get blood into the area for growth and maybe some cable pressdowns for 40 reps at the end of a chest workout. No more arm work. Just hit them hard once a week and stimulate them on chest and back day.

As everyone says remember to eat loads.

heres a tip that will work for EVERYBODY: dont look at your arms for 2 weeks. wear baggy t-shirts (might be difficult for all you posers out there). DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR ARMS FOR 2 WEEKS. If you wear a vest to sleep, and you are brushing your teeth in the morning, put a baggy tee on...i dont care...dont look at them for 2 weeks. Train them hard, eat like a man and then look at them after 2 weeks. If they havent grown then shoot me. Also, don't look in the mirror when you train arms. Turn and face the other way to the mirror when doing arms. Go for the feel, not the view. YOU FEEL, LET EVERYONE ELSE VIEW.

Peace

spartan300
08-02-16, 1:36 pm

Check out Freddy Ortiz. I started doing my curls with a closer grip after seeing his arm development. Then check out Sergio Oliva. He did his curls with an extremely wide grip. I suggest you take a trip in your time machine and look over the arm routines of Scott,Draper, Howorth, Oliva, Colbert, and especially Freddy Ortiz. You might find something you can use. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. GOOD LUCK!

IRN-NML
08-02-16, 2:10 pm
Check out Freddy Ortiz. I started doing my curls with a closer grip after seeing his arm development. Then check out Sergio Oliva. He did his curls with an extremely wide grip. I suggest you take a trip in your time machine and look over the arm routines of Scott,Draper, Howorth, Oliva, Colbert, and especially Freddy Ortiz. You might find something you can use. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. GOOD LUCK!

Yes & lots of good ones; chins, lying cable, prison curls, barbell with elbows on thighs curls etc. Pick a few, throw in some patience, hard work, rest and food. Also, build the triceps and the guns will look bigger.

spartan300
08-02-16, 3:46 pm
Yes & lots of good ones; chins, lying cable, prison curls, barbell with elbows on thighs curls etc. Pick a few, throw in some patience, hard work, rest and food. Also, build the triceps and the guns will look bigger.

Hard work, food, rest repeat. Simple formula for bodybuilding success!

Buckfever
08-03-16, 12:03 am
When I was younger and did more of a bodybuilding type of workout, had massive arms and quite honestly the best bicep results I got were from machines that would lock the upper arm in a fixed position and keep the tension through the whole range of motion while isolating the biceps. I do barbell curls now because they are a functional movement but they wouldn't be my first choice for developing the biceps. I would do a machine curl, then an standing alternate curl and then finish with barbell curl to bring other muscles into play to push the biceps further. FWIW

spartan300
08-03-16, 2:39 am
When I was younger and did more of a bodybuilding type of workout, had massive arms and quite honestly the best bicep results I got were from machines that would lock the upper arm in a fixed position and keep the tension through the whole range of motion while isolating the biceps. I do barbell curls now because they are a functional movement but they wouldn't be my first choice for developing the biceps. I would do a machine curl, then an standing alternate curl and then finish with barbell curl to bring other muscles into play to push the biceps further. FWIW

Funny you should say that Buck, Sergio's fave was a Scott curl machine that was especially made for him by Hunk fitness. How can you argue with 23 inch arms.

Nmowery
08-03-16, 5:26 pm

It's weird, I read this post this morning and didn't necessarily take mind of it, other than noticing that what you're mentioning is the opposite of what most people seem to suggest - which is to do something like barbell curls first, then move onto Dumbbells, then machines last...basically progressing towards being more controlled and isolated as you fatigue

Long story short...I ended my workout today with barbell curls and tri extensions, and my arms are wrecked! I hadn't done anything directly for biceps before that, but had hit lat pulls, bent dumbbell rows and face pulls so they were a bit worked already. I'm not sure exactly what it was, maybe just squeezing the bar throughout the motion, but those were some rough sets to get thru - and wayyyyyy harder than if doing them early in a workout.

Buckfever
08-03-16, 8:40 pm
For strength training we attack the movement. But I think in general for size, look at the way Rex trains. He punishes the muscles.

spartan300
08-04-16, 11:16 am
Its the end justifies the means. ...and there are many means to an end.