PDA

View Full Version : Try Again Newbie ?

cubby
10-15-08, 2:29 pm
So I've been lurking for awhile and I have picked up so much information I can't thank you all enough. Everything I have learned is priceless but now I have a question. Let me give you some background... I am 22 around 5'10 165 pretty cut with around 8%BF. I work as a firefighter so I focus on traditional lifting as well as functional circuit training to help me with my job. (about 3 years religious workouts) I am looking to put on some weight (yes I know eat eat eat and believe me I try) but more importantly I feel as though I have hit a ceiling when it comes to strength gains. What I am looking for is any feedback as to what I should be taking for supplements. I have read as much as I can but I am stuck with one area.

Here's the background. I take Animal Pak every morning with breakfast. I eat around 6-8 meals a day I eat clean...very clean (3 solid meals and then supplemented with shakes and snacks especially at work). Now here's the question. I take Shock Therapy Pre-workout, and then have a protein shake and creatine tabs postworkout. Should I add in EAA and intra-aid during the workout along with adding nitro post workout or should I just stick with the EAA and intra-aid to start? Also would it be more beneficial to do the straight up whey protein with breakfast and before bed and take torrent post workout? I know that these are questions that have been asked many times but I am looking for what you guys would think would be best for a beginner. Sorry for the trouble bros and I thank you in advance.

shizz702
10-15-08, 2:31 pm
What's your current workout routine? You want to gain strength? Supplements can only do so much, and to be honest they won't do anything if you're eating, rest, and training aren't on point.

cubby
10-15-08, 2:45 pm
Sorry should have been more specific my bad.
For traditional lifting the split looks like this.
Chest/Tris
Back/Bis
Shoulders/Legs

(After reading in here I have been trying to make a seperate day for arms all together as I see that is what some people have done)

The exercises all depend on what I feel like doing for that day
For example Chest could be (could be bench, Incline Bench, DB Bench, Incline DB, Flys to pushup SS, etc. (obviously not all the same day) trying to vary it each time I hit the gym)
Back: I focus on Deads, Rows, Pullups, Rear Flys, Good Mornings, etc.)
Shoulders: Military Press, Side Raises, Front Raises, Shrugs, Up Rows, etc. all dependso n the day)
Arms: Pretty much everything is supersetted. 21's to chinups to failure, Skullcrushers to dips (failure) etc.
Legs: Squats, Lunges, Machines, etc.

I basically just choose which exercises I want to do for the day and then bang it out. I try to train with as much intensity as possible each and every workout (like I am sure everyone here does) the ultimate goal is to leave the gym with close to nothing left. I try to keep my body guessing by varying sets, reps, heavy, light, etc. to avoid falling into a rut.

For the circuit training for example instead of a traditional lifting day I may use something like kettlebells and do a clean and press to pullup circuit (i.e. 1 clean press each side 1 pull up) 1-5 for 5 sets. (1 min of rest in between). Then add in whatever else for the circuit with the ultimate goal of very little rest and high intensity work to mimic my working environment. Another great one I enjoy is Tire Flips and sledgehammer work on the tire.

As far as sleep 8-10 hours when I am not working. We work 24hours on 24 hours off 24 hours on 5 days off so work days sleep is sometimes scarce

Nutrition wise I stick with lean cuts of beef, chicken, turkey, tilapia, salmon, veggies, sweet potato, oats, light yogurt, high protein cereals, fruits, nuts with of course a cheat meal every week. If I eat Spaghetti or such it will be whole wheat and portion controlled.

pmug0000
10-15-08, 2:48 pm
What's your current workout routine? You want to gain strength? Supplements can only do so much, and to be honest they won't do anything if you're eating, rest, and training aren't on point.

I definitely agree here.
But to answer your question about the supplements Intra-aid and EAAs during the workout, then Torrent and Nitro PWO are great products to add in there and will help with your goals.

cubby
10-15-08, 2:58 pm
Thanks for the quick replies guys I think I will try the intra-aid and the EAA along with the nitro and double check my diet and rest etc. BTW Shizz I have lurked around your journey and your vids and I must say you def. are an inspiration bro you have an amazing outlook and definetly have your priorities in check. Most def an inspiration man!

shizz702
10-15-08, 3:14 pm
Thanks for the quick replies guys I think I will try the intra-aid and the EAA along with the nitro and double check my diet and rest etc. BTW Shizz I have lurked around your journey and your vids and I must say you def. are an inspiration bro you have an amazing outlook and definetly have your priorities in check. Most def an inspiration man!

Thanks brother.

You're nutrition, supplements, and sleep (based on your job situation) look good, but I think your training routine is to blame for the limited strength gains.

I think you should opt for more focus on just the big lifts, and stick with a set routine, and strive to get stronger with it. By just going in and doing what you feel like doing on that particular day, you lose focus, and will make minimal progress.

The best way to get stronger is to stick with something, and strive to beat your personal bests each time. Take a pen and pad with you to the gym, and keep track of your progress, and if you aren't making any, then it's time to change up your routine.

Mr. Aestheticz
10-15-08, 3:16 pm
Honestly bro If you are eating clean like you are and are eating the amount you are (as long as it is every 2 - 3 hours) you are already ahead of the game! Supplement wise you are going to have to experiment with what works and doesn't work for you. This game and sport is about trial and error and finding out what works best FOR YOU!

For your Pre-WO ANIMAL Pump and Shock are your two best choices based on your preferences!

* Right now I use Shock and sip on it on my way to the gym!

For you Intra-WO obviously Intra-Aid is going to be the way to go, you can always add EEA Stak to that mix for extra EAA's. One other supp you may want to consider adding but do not have to is Storm. These two together make for one great session concoction. I like to add 5 grams of glutamine to this for extra support.

* I use one scoop of Intra-Aid + 1 serving of Storm + 5 grams of glutamine mixed with 35 oz's of H20!

For your Post-WO ANIMAL Nitro + Torrent are your best bets. You do not have to use both together. You can pop your Nitro as soon as your done training get home or wherever and eat your post work out meal 30 to 45 min after popping Nitro. Or you can just slam down some Torrent and have you PWO meal 45min to an hour later. But both together well my friend make for some serious ANABOLIC RECOVERY. Once again do what you feel comfy with and what is best for you.

* I slam some Torrent when I am done then eat my PWO meal 45min to an hour later!

Hope this helps?!?!

...EASY!!!

Cellerator65
10-15-08, 3:18 pm
Invest in Real Gains... best 600-800 calories, add some natty pb to some choc real gains, you got some yum yums right there

ironshaolin
10-15-08, 3:20 pm
Dude, if you're a beginner you honestly don't need ANY supps to gain size and strength. Just focus on adding weight to the bar and food to the plate. If you insist on taking supplements, I would start with PAK, OMEGA and whey protein. Vitamins and minerals, healthy fat and extra protein is all you need to start with. I wouldn't add anything else until you hit a sticking point.

Mr. Aestheticz
10-15-08, 3:25 pm
Dude, if you're a beginner you honestly don't need ANY supps to gain size and strength. Just focus on adding weight to the bar and food to the plate. If you insist on taking supplements, I would start with PAK, OMEGA and whey protein. Vitamins and minerals, healthy fat and extra protein is all you need to start with. I wouldn't add anything else until you hit a sticking point.

I agree with Shaolin, I kind of gave you the more intermediate to advanced supplementation regimen!

If you are a true beginner and newbie a lot of food, The Pak , Omega, and you may want to include Flex to protect your joints will get you by just fine, FOR NOW. Until you do some more research and really understand what supplements aid/assist you with, their functions, your goals, and your needs stick to the basics till you find yourself advancing SLOWLY!