PDA

View Full Version : New Training Thought.. Tips?

Thetasteofink69
10-16-08, 6:50 pm
As of late, I've noticed by bench hasn't gone up in ages.. I'm still putting mass on my chest, but my bench numbers still suck

So I asked Tiny about a 5x5 routine, and he suggested something different.. You guys have probably heard it before.. Working up to your 1rm max, then dropping down to your working set and pumping out as many reps as you can etc.

I know that routine wouldn't help my bench numbers much, so I've been debating between either using that or a 5x5 routine.. I've never used either before.. So today it hit me, I could try both

I was thinking of sticking to the routine that Tiny suggested for my chest, and since I want to try out the 5x5 routine, I would try it out while training back

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried anything like this before? Also, for those of you who have, what part of my back routine would I add the 5x5 part? I know it's not for every exercise, so which ones should I do 5x5 for? Here's my current back routine:

Deadlifts: 4 sets, 6-10 reps
Wide Grip Chins: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
Close Grip Underhand Pulldowns: 3 sets, 8-10 reps
Cable or Hammerstrength Rows: 3 sets, 10-12 reps
HyperExtentions: 3 sets, 8-12 reps

Factory
10-16-08, 6:58 pm
Something that helped me a lot on bench and legs is (i forget the name of it but its got static in the name) say your doing bench, and your max is 250, you bring a bench over to the power rack... squat rack, whatever, you make it so that the bar is stopped by the racks safety bars about 3 inches down from your full extension on bench. you put 395 on the bar and have a spotter help you bring it up an inch and a half and you just hold it there for 10 seconds. you can do the same on leg press, with the stoppers extended the entire time, you just put a TON of weight on there and press it a half and inch and just keep it there for 10secs, its working wonders for my bench and squat PR's

for back, i'd say just do weighted wide grip chins and weighted negatives, or regular negatives, and just do target reps, like say today im goanna go into the gym and do a hundred pull ups, no matter how many god damn sets it takes me. shit like that, your back strength with go up. and row your ass off.

those are my 2 cents, if you don't like it thats cool with me, if it helps, im glad

shizz702
10-16-08, 7:11 pm
Why not just do the full 5x5 routine? It is proven to work and will get all your numbers up.

Check it out here:http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Thetasteofink69
10-16-08, 7:15 pm
Something that helped me a lot on bench and legs is (i forget the name of it but its got static in the name) say your doing bench, and your max is 250, you bring a bench over to the power rack... squat rack, whatever, you make it so that the bar is stopped by the racks safety bars about 3 inches down from your full extension on bench. you put 395 on the bar and have a spotter help you bring it up an inch and a half and you just hold it there for 10 seconds. you can do the same on leg press, with the stoppers extended the entire time, you just put a TON of weight on there and press it a half and inch and just keep it there for 10secs, its working wonders for my bench and squat PR's

for back, i'd say just do weighted wide grip chins and weighted negatives, or regular negatives, and just do target reps, like say today im goanna go into the gym and do a hundred pull ups, no matter how many god damn sets it takes me. shit like that, your back strength with go up. and row your ass off.

those are my 2 cents, if you don't like it thats cool with me, if it helps, im glad

I've never tried that before.. Thanks man, I'll probably give the leg press thing a try

Why not just do the full 5x5 routine? It is proven to work and will get all your numbers up.

Check it out here:http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

By full do you mean with all my major lifts? I thought about that, but like I said I wanna try the routine that Tiny suggested to me, but at the same time I wanted to try the 5x5 so I thought I would throw it in on back day

shizz702
10-16-08, 7:26 pm
By full do you mean with all my major lifts? I thought about that, but like I said I wanna try the routine that Tiny suggested to me, but at the same time I wanted to try the 5x5 so I thought I would throw it in on back day

I think you should just do the 5x5 routine as is written out in that link. There are several guys doing it and that have done it on here with great results. Check out js' journey here:http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=18110&page=64 He's making great gains off it. The routine itself is proven to work, and has stood the test of time. I guarantee if you do it you'll not only get your numbers up but pack on a good amount of mass too.

Littlefry
10-17-08, 6:50 pm

Ive seen this jacked guy doing this at the gym for deads, bench , shoulder press etc... and let me tell you he is huge and put up pretty big numbers during his working sets.

As for the routine give intermediate 5x5 a shot it has worked wonder for many on this board, including myself and I have helped other like Js get into it and they are seeing and making great gains off of it. Check out my journey to see the full gains, although Iam currently on a 4 week deload, I will be back on 5x5 as soon as Ima done with my deload. If you have any questions regarding 5x5 feel free to pm me.

Thetasteofink69
10-17-08, 7:38 pm
I think you should just do the 5x5 routine as is written out in that link. There are several guys doing it and that have done it on here with great results. Check out js' journey here:http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=18110&page=64 He's making great gains off it. The routine itself is proven to work, and has stood the test of time. I guarantee if you do it you'll not only get your numbers up but pack on a good amount of mass too.

I thought about that.. But the whole point in trying it with back is to give it a shot and see how I like it.. I'm still seeing results from my current routine, so I thought about giving 5x5 a shot and seeing how it goes for me

Ive seen this jacked guy doing this at the gym for deads, bench , shoulder press etc... and let me tell you he is huge and put up pretty big numbers during his working sets.

As for the routine give intermediate 5x5 a shot it has worked wonder for many on this board, including myself and I have helped other like Js get into it and they are seeing and making great gains off of it. Check out my journey to see the full gains, although Iam currently on a 4 week deload, I will be back on 5x5 as soon as Ima done with my deload. If you have any questions regarding 5x5 feel free to pm me.

How would you do that with deads?.. I guess just set the safety bars high and only lift it up a few inches?

Do you think the 5x5 on just back thing would work for me bro?