PDA

View Full Version : The Great FORVM Blackout of '08...

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 11:27 am
Wasn't too long, was it? When did it first go out? Anyways, looks like we're back in action fellas. Ya know, the blackout reminded me just how much I take the FORVM for granted sometimes. When ya can't log in, it really makes you realize how special this place is... Welcome back fellas.

AFTazz06
10-17-08, 11:31 am
yeah bro, how and why did this happen? i swear i think i kept trying to log in for 6hours straight last night, and never got in :( i too feel like without being in the forvm sometime during the day, the day just goes sour. but its back up now!

SQUAT or DIE!
10-17-08, 11:33 am
REP i wil have you know i couldnt sleep last night because of this.... but im glad its back

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 11:33 am
yeah bro, how and why did this happen? i swear i think i kept trying to log in for 6hours straight last night, and never got in :( i too feel like without being in the forvm sometime during the day, the day just goes sour. but its back up now!

I've only been trying for the past 2-3 hours...

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 11:34 am
REP i wil have you know i couldnt sleep last night because of this.... but im glad its back

How many hours ago was that? I think of all the lost entries to individual Journeys everywhere... But today is a new day, hahahaha...

SQUAT or DIE!
10-17-08, 11:36 am
How many hours ago was that? I think of all the lost entries to individual Journeys everywhere... But today is a new day, hahahaha...

id say at about 12 hrs ago it started... yeah i could hve put in another 30-50 posts had the forvm not gone down...

RooRooTJ
10-17-08, 11:38 am
Yeah started last night around 9 or so

Hoomgar
10-17-08, 11:41 am
I'm just glad it's back up. Viva la IT guys! Never dog on us. We keep the world spinning these days. Hats off to the FORVM IT guys who ever they are.

Hg

wedge
10-17-08, 11:43 am
I noticed something was amiss. Glad to see things are back up and running.

brandonA
10-17-08, 11:44 am
I remember the great t-shirt fiasco of '07 when the server crashed...I was there man....I remember...

-B

RooRooTJ
10-17-08, 11:45 am
I noticed something was amiss. Glad to see things are back up and running.

Me too. Couldn't have happened at a worse time last night. Posted up pics in my journey before my show tomorrow and was hoping to get some feedback from the big boys. Oh well at least it is back up now.

Enforcer
10-17-08, 11:49 am
Wasn't too long, was it? When did it first go out? Anyways, looks like we're back in action fellas. Ya know, the blackout reminded me just how much I take the FORVM for granted sometimes. When ya can't log in, it really makes you realize how special this place is... Welcome back fellas.

I felt naked without the Forvm minimized on my comp

Universal Rep
I remember the great t-shirt fiasco of '07 when the server crashed...I was there man....I remember...

-B

Hahahaha... I almost forgot about that. Man, that was a nightmare... So many people on at once, so many...

Universal Rep

I will need to purge my brain now. Thanks for nuthin, E.

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 11:50 am
Yo I was hurtin without the forvm, I think it hit around 5ish EST (maybe sooner) I tried getting online to post up my WO. I've been checkin this place like mad - but yea I definitely felt not having the forvm around. Whether i'm posting a WO or just dropping in to see what's poppin', you don't realize what you've got till it's gone!

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 11:51 am
Care to give us IT nerds a run down of what went down?

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 11:53 am

I have no clue.

Firedrake
10-17-08, 12:00 pm
I'd sure like to know what happened. I lost access about 4pm Pacific time yesterday afternoon. I was terribly frustrated, because I wanted to talk about my consultation with Rage yesterday and the new direction I was going.

I just hope the extra volume we put on the server today to catch up doesn't bring it crashing down again. *grin*

SQUAT or DIE!
10-17-08, 12:02 pm
I just hope the extra volume we put on the server today to catch up doesn't bring it crashing down again. *grin*

dont say things like that...

joe-yamma
10-17-08, 12:04 pm
yep... felt wierd without it up and running there behind my actual work haha

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 12:14 pm
I have no clue.

That's cool - either way i'm sure the IT dept was pretty chaotic. If you find out post it up!

Hoomgar
10-17-08, 12:17 pm
I'm just glad it's back up. Viva la IT guys! Never dog on us. We keep the world spinning these days. Hats off to the FORVM IT guys who ever they are.

Hg

I have no clue.

That's cool - either way i'm sure the IT dept was pretty chaotic. If you find out post it up!

I would like to know too. It's an IT guy thing. We just like to know who is who out there. Especially in the legion.

Hg

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 12:21 pm
I would like to know too. It's an IT guy thing. We just like to know who is who out there. Especially in the legion.

Hg

It definitely is an IT guy thing.

My guess the server hosting The Forvm just went down, however the nature of the downtime could be just about anything. Get a report from corporate U-Rep (please!) - all us animals want to know!

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 12:24 pm

My guess the server hosting The Forvm just went down, however the nature of the downtime could be just about anything. Get a report from corporate U-Rep (please!) - all us animals want to know!

You mean cuz of traffic or something else? I'll see what I can find out..

Hoomgar
10-17-08, 12:26 pm

Here it is DH:

J-Dawg - um, NG, I don't think you apply the changes that way, I've never used that tool before, I'm not sure it does what you think?

NaturalGuy - Relax J, I've seen this done in the movies, didn't you watch Anti-Trust?

Enforcer - I'm out of here before you guys brings the place down am I am guilty by association!

J-Dawg - um... NG?

NG - quick, press the reset button!

...-=phone is ringing in background=-...

You know the deal ;)

LOL! :D

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 12:30 pm
Here it is DH:

J-Dawg - um, NG, I don't think you apply the changes that way, I've never used that tool before, I'm not sure it does what you think?

NaturalGuy - Relax J, I've seen this done in the movies, didn't you watch Anti-Trust? Plus I just stayed at a Holiday Inn. And did you see my new jeans???

Enforcer - I'm out of here before you guys brings the place down am I am guilty by association. I've got my 8th meal waiting for me.

J-Dawg - um... NG?

NG - quick, press the reset button! RESET BUTTON!!!!!

You know the deal ;)

Edited for content.

Oh and by the way, hahahahahaha.

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 12:32 pm
You mean cuz of traffic or something else? I'll see what I can find out..

Well It very well could have been the traffic caused the crash, but i'm not leaning towards that simply because on 8.08.08 The Forvm had a record amount of users on The Forvm that day with no issues. Port 80 could have shut down (the port internet comes through) or hardware and/or software on The Forvm's server could have died as well. There are about a million things that can go wrong with a computer.

shizz702
10-17-08, 12:37 pm
Yea man when it went down I was tripping out! Especially when I still couldn't log in this morning! I was thinking what am I gonna do when it's time to post my workout today lol! Glad it's back up and running.

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 12:38 pm
Would also just like to add that if you go to animalpak.com and click on The Forvm, you still receive a timeout message. May want to advise corporate to issue a mass email to everyone and send out the new link, i've noticed it's changed to an IP address.

J-Dawg
10-17-08, 12:43 pm
Here it is DH:

NaturalGuy - Relax J, I've seen this done in the movies, didn't you watch Anti-Trust? Plus I just stayed at a Holiday Inn. And did you see my new jeans???

Enforcer - I'm out of here before you guys brings the place down am I am guilty by association. I've got my 8th meal waiting for me.

J-Dawg - um... NG?

NG - quick, press the reset button! RESET BUTTON!!!!!

You know the deal ;)

Edited for content.

Oh and by the way, hahahahahaha.

That is more like how it went down, lol. If something goes wrong, usually NG is at the root of it all. He's a good scapegoat... Those darn jeans always get him into trouble.

musclealchemist
10-17-08, 12:45 pm
it did feel very weird, i always log in in the mornings before school, and when i couldnt, it left me feeling naked. Im glad shes back!!

Hoomgar
10-17-08, 12:49 pm
That is more like how it went down, lol. If something goes wrong, usually NG is at the root of it all. He's a good scapegoat... Those darn jeans always get him into trouble.

I knew it! :)

Universal Rep
Those darn jeans always get him into trouble.

Z Cavaricci.

Hoomgar
Would also just like to add that if you go to animalpak.com and click on The Forvm, you still receive a timeout message. May want to advise corporate to issue a mass email to everyone and send out the new link, i've noticed it's changed to an IP address.

Looks to be running on a backup server/cluster bro. They are on it I'm sure.

TylerC
10-17-08, 12:51 pm
15 virus and spyware scans later i'm glad to know it wasn't my computer that was screwed up

mustgetbig
10-17-08, 12:52 pm
15 virus and spyware scans later i'm glad to know it wasn't my computer that was screwed up

x2

TheDarkHalf
10-17-08, 12:54 pm
Looks to be running on a backup server/cluster bro. They are on it I'm sure.

Gotcha. No doubt - i'm glad i'm not in that shit storm!

lolz!

simpleguy
10-17-08, 1:37 pm
I see the good part: less time to post, but more time to eat, sleep and train

simpleguy
10-17-08, 1:43 pm
btw, another good part: the clock used to run slow by 15 mins or so, now it's running great :)

naturalguy
10-17-08, 1:54 pm

bunch 'o comedians

I was going through FORVM withdrawals this morning. Glad we are back up and running.

JUGGERNAUT
10-17-08, 2:23 pm
Sorry, I have a sick sense of humor. I hacked it and sent all your E-mails to sirspamalot.com

Hoomgar
10-17-08, 2:24 pm
bunch 'o comedians

I was going through FORVM withdrawals this morning. Glad we are back up and running.

3000 comedians out of work and hungry right now and here we are givin it up for free eh NG?

sanga
10-17-08, 2:56 pm
Oh the forum was down, I was at a loss all day,couldn`t get on, couldn`t think straight, broke out in a cold sweat, had to go for a lie down.

Don`t ever do that again, lol

I posted a thread titled This Forvm is Binding about not being able to get on here today.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=21319

Elite
10-17-08, 3:04 pm
Its good to be back.
14hrs since waking up, out in the cold. No Forvm to peruze whilst having breakfast, coffee breaks, lunchbreaks.

Fuck i have an iPhone....now being able to view the forvm whilst on the shitter at work is a daily occurence for me.

Dont rob me of my treasured forvm shitbreak again!

Freakshow
10-17-08, 3:10 pm
Around 8 o'clock last night I was sitting down to do homework for midterms this week and I opened up my internet browser, and....nothing. Just a blank white page staring me in the face. I figured the internet was down in the whole dorm so I waited. 11 o'clock rolled around and the same old story...no internet. So I call my ISP and tell them and they run some diagnostic tests with me. I open up a new browser and they tell me to type in PBS.org to test another site to see if it works. Sure enough, it does. I tried everyother site and they all worked great, except the FORVM.

Could have been doing HW all night but I really thought I had no internet. How retarded of me.

NickSP
10-17-08, 3:22 pm

-B

haha I was thinking about the same thing when I read URep's first post. What was longer, the blackout '08 or the crash of '07?

Universal Rep
10-17-08, 3:23 pm
haha I was thinking about the same thing when I read URep's first post. What was longer, the blackout '08 or the crash of '07?

Sounds like the '08 Blackout, not the '07 Crash...

Feel The Power
10-17-08, 4:12 pm
I wondered what was up.. I was checking my virus scanner and changing my settings to see why it wouldn't let me on. I thought the next step was convulsions... lol.. I sipped some storm to ward these off, but wasn't sure how long I could take it.

Maccabee
10-17-08, 4:26 pm
Yeah it sucked big time. I was like "what do I do now" haha. It just aint the same unless you visit the Forum at least once a day.

Sugarbutt
10-17-08, 4:38 pm
I was very sad...and bored...!! I had to resort to txting Forvm members! Or bugging them on MySpace...=D

Mr. Aestheticz
10-17-08, 4:39 pm
I was so fucking pissed!

I tried last night 10/16/08 around 9:30 before heading to bed, and it wasn't working!

Then I had to come to work and it wasn't working all day for me, just frigen sucks because this the ONLY (besides myspace) place I post and bullshit on because that is how much I love it!

I don't even post on BB.com, TNation, or any other forum's except this FORVM that is how much I love this place

IT BETTER NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

pmug0000
10-17-08, 4:46 pm
At least it's back up for the work day. Seriously, how many people out there spend half their time at work on the forvm? I don't how I'd make it to 5pm if the forvm was down. Now that I think about it I'd actually get some work done around here.

InkdMuscle
10-18-08, 5:31 am
Man this shit made me feel all out of wack. I couldnt do shit. I had so much to say and post and couldnt get it out. But man am i relieved its back.

Psycho77
10-18-08, 6:23 am
Whatever the reason was for the site being down, I'm just happy its back up again.

I had to stay the whole day at the gym coz there was no FORVM to keep me company at home. And I owe the DSL people an apology. Thought it was their sucky network that was the coz of it all.

deanna7272
10-18-08, 7:15 am
I put out an APB on another site to see whatw had happened and my first text in the morning was from firsthorseman wondering WHAT he was going to do all day at work....LOL We suffered, were all lost and had to adjust our habits, but most of all we realized how important this Forvm is to us...

As I stated before...

To the "server gawds" in cyberspace.... WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!!

Carpe Diem P.T
10-18-08, 8:44 am
the site was down? i barely noticed because im new here.

Factory
10-18-08, 10:25 am
i didn't realize how addicted I was, 3 hours of not being able to get on and i was LIT

deanna7272
10-18-08, 11:37 pm
the site was down? i barely noticed because im new here.

Welcome CDPT, gee, it is great to have you here... We love having new members chime in every once in a while... Maybe you should share your wisdom with us...

BLAH..he he he

Love ya, CDPT...

Carpe Diem P.T
10-19-08, 7:18 am
Welcome CDPT, gee, it is great to have you here... We love having new members chime in every once in a while... Maybe you should share your wisdom with us...

BLAH..he he he

Love ya, CDPT...

lol you really took that and ran with it. I appreciate your love :)

i dont know about wisdom, but i am happy to share the little i do know :)

SizeMatters
10-20-08, 1:30 am

x2

futilekyle
10-20-08, 10:05 am
haha i was freaking out, thought my computer was worthless, I spend half my day on this site

SQUAT or DIE!
10-20-08, 1:09 pm
haha i was freaking out, thought my computer was worthless, I spend half my day on this site

only half?? amateur...

Dingo
10-20-08, 1:12 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vDClhnJjs

Brutus_515
10-20-08, 1:17 pm
I got so much work done when the forvm was down....no it is back up I am back to slacking as usual with my office door closed.

deanna7272
10-20-08, 4:16 pm
lol you really took that and ran with it. I appreciate your love :)

i dont know about wisdom, but i am happy to share the little i do know :)

You know we appreciate!