PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Old and Bored...

Thumperz
10-17-08, 9:32 pm
I'm not that old but I'm getting there. Going on 33. I'm still pretty strong but I'm not looking all that "hard" anymore. I need to get the belly size down if you know what I mean.

For the first time in my life I've also got a little pain in my right shoulder. Down inside of the joint. I don't know how to lift if I'm not lifting heavy.

Add that to the fact my metabolism seems to have shut off and I'm feeling burnt out.

How to do I regain the fire. I just moved to So. Cali and so I don't have a workout partner anymore and that doesn't help things.

suggestions?

Cstlfx
10-18-08, 2:10 am
When was the last time you took a break? You may want to take some time off, let the pain in your shoulder go away, then come back to it. But, when you come back switch some stuff up, unless you're going for a specific competition that is. Try some strongman type exercises, throw in some new interesting cardio, hitting tires with sledgehammers, flipping tires, pulling/pushing trucks or cars.

Its heavy, its tough, and it helps keep the fire stoked when the metabolism has slowed. Find something thats fun whether its olympic lifts, powerlifts, strongman events, or something else. Its all about having fun!

sanga
10-18-08, 3:39 am
My suggestion is to take 2 full weeks off, eat clean, go swimming or cycle 2-3 times a week during that time, also take time to find a training partner that is around 20 yrs old, he will motivate and push you like never before, this I have done myself a little while back and it works very well.

All the best to you.

Tiny
10-18-08, 8:10 am
I'm not that old but I'm getting there. Going on 33. I'm still pretty strong but I'm not looking all that "hard" anymore. I need to get the belly size down if you know what I mean.

For the first time in my life I've also got a little pain in my right shoulder. Down inside of the joint. I don't know how to lift if I'm not lifting heavy.

Add that to the fact my metabolism seems to have shut off and I'm feeling burnt out.

How to do I regain the fire. I just moved to So. Cali and so I don't have a workout partner anymore and that doesn't help things.

suggestions?

I'm older. How do you regain the fire and make serious shit happen? You take a good long look in the mirror at who the fuck you are - not merely who you have physically allowed yourself to become but who YOU are deep down inside. Do you have any kids? Kids can be a hell of a motivator. Anyway, you need to decide - you have that one body which you have to live in and that's it. AND that body is like a chunk of clay which can be readily reshaped but it takes balls - so do you have the balls? Is it even worth it to you? You have to settle up with that man in the mirror - either walk away accepting the reality that you are finished with the physical shit, that it is just too hard for you at 33 (which is fucking laughable) and that your best days are gone. OR you get fucking determined and decide that you ain't going out like that and you don't need a partner because you came in this world alone and when you leave it that will be YOUR day, and those around you no matter who they are, they ain't leaving with you, so YOU are going to take control and rule yourself for the days you have left here. All that's to it is to do it. Think after all these years I'm thrilled to death everytime I step into a gym? I'm there to attend to business. The grim reaper is always there waiting to climb up on your back and stick that boney dick in you - I ain't helpin that cocksucker along. There are going to be lots of challenges and things that arise that are going to try and tear you down - why the fuck you going to tear yourself down? That's nuts. Go represent, brother - tighten shit down and get on with it, or just climb on into the box and eventually someone will come along and nail the lid shut.

sanga
10-18-08, 11:26 am
I'm older. How do you regain the fire and make serious shit happen? You take a good long look in the mirror at who the fuck you are - not merely who you have physically allowed yourself to become but who YOU are deep down inside. Do you have any kids? Kids can be a hell of a motivator. Anyway, you need to decide - you have that one body which you have to live in and that's it. AND that body is like a chunk of clay which can be readily reshaped but it takes balls - so do you have the balls? Is it even worth it to you? You have to settle up with that man in the mirror - either walk away accepting the reality that you are finished with the physical shit, that it is just too hard for you at 33 (which is fucking laughable) and that your best days are gone. OR you get fucking determined and decide that you ain't going out like that and you don't need a partner because you came in this world alone and when you leave it that will be YOUR day, and those around you no matter who they are, they ain't leaving with you, so YOU are going to take control and rule yourself for the days you have left here. All that's to it is to do it. Think after all these years I'm thrilled to death everytime I step into a gym? I'm there to attend to business. The grim reaper is always there waiting to climb up on your back and stick that boney dick in you - I ain't helpin that cocksucker along. There are going to be lots of challenges and things that arise that are going to try and tear you down - why the fuck you going to tear yourself down? That's nuts. Go represent, brother - tighten shit down and get on with it, or just climb on into the box and eventually someone will come along and nail the lid shut.

Now that right there would be all the motivation I would ever need and I`m 44 yrs old.

Hollow
10-18-08, 12:37 pm

That should definitely light a fire under your ass!

k1usa
10-18-08, 1:28 pm
Well...you are 33....ok....and as many on this forum would expect....and they are correct...you are goimg to reach deep now into the abyss of animals here...and in most cases like yours...the shit will hit the fan bro...and its all to help...not to demean you...so Ill start off by saying...hold on tight for a bit here...we all want to help..but it will get to feel like the tough love thing such as you got from our brother Tiny... so here is my take bro......

When you hit this forum...its going to present to you, based on question or comments, with all kinds of reactions...some based on fact...others based on emotion but it all melts down to...we all care and want to help. Usualy ...some will respond to post like yours with harsh conviction...others not....Ill do my best to help...but bare with me...and this is not a shot across the bow...this is hitting amidships bro...

Finding that fire...wondering why the midsection is not looking well anymore...hurting from training..pain in joints...family situations...money....yes...it all can add up and one of these can pound you senceless. You either have it or not....you want the fire..light your own fucking match....you dont like the way you look...then fucking change it...hurting from the training...well then fgreat going..welcome to what training is all about...shoulders hurt...good going...part of the ageing thing...dont let it get to you...family on your ass...take your hour to train...fuck the world bro..its your time...not theirs. You stay healty and you will be around longer for them...money...try being broke and starving and still train..then talk to me bro....

Its tough love bro...hang with me...

I dont want to hear about lack of inner drive...this forum is made up of hard working...young and old guys and gals that give a fuck..that shun off pain...own the iron...love the sound and smell of the gym...if it does not get to you that way...try something different...make room for someone that needs the gym. ....like the old man at the FIt 19 gym in Fremont that is 99 fucking years old...the fucker hobbles from machine to machine and eats his penut butter ona spoon right after he trains...give room for the guy at my gim in Pleasanton that has one fucking leg...and falls off the bench at times...and refuses to accept help to get up...or my friend John at the same gym that is still training while fighting prostate cancer...they have the fire bro....so what the fuck...

Im a light weight compared to them...simple..I lost my job back in Jan 08...broker took our commissions of which 50k was mine...got evicted from my rental home...living in hotels ..then my car for 3 months...no sups...just what food I could get at the local churches...the open heart kitchen for the needy...cans of food from salvation fucking army...could not see my son..could not support him at all at 5 years old...he asked me for crayons...and I would go to Chilis and get him the ones they hand out at meals with a page to color...I had fucking nothing..but had it all......I looked forward to Saturdays at the local farmers market...free samples and some would give me fruit and vetgies that were slightly damaged from the days squeezers and testers...God dam it bro...I was living at times in the back of my friends store....but here is the deal.....I had nothing bro...I had no food...or very little...forget even sups here...when I worked at my friends store I got some there..but very little...I had no place to keep my son things..his toys...no place to relax with him to play...but I still had so much to be thankful for....I had the gym...my friends there and my sweetheart Natalie....she helped me as much as she could...she kdpt me centered bro....but here it is....even during this time...I never gave up training...even with out sups I kept most of my size and power...my inner beast was winning the battle untill not long ago...I reached inside...and grabbed that fucker by the balls an said....."not now fucker...not now"....at times I felt like meeting my ansistors..but I managed to train...and the gym cut me a huge brake here...but I never missed training..and for a while in march I had no money for gas..and I walked to the gym...3 1/2 each way to train.....

bro...I did not give in...the iron kept me sane...I had the world kicking me in the balls for a while and just a month ago got a good job...not living in my car and now have a few bucks to do nice things with my son and my bride to be.....

Finding the inner fire.....well....it is an easy thing to loose...to get blown out when times are...well...too easy.....when it gets tough...the fire burns hot...and its that time in which we burn when things are easy..but when we have to survive...time is more of a companion that is with us for the trip...

this is tough love here bro....dont fade out...get your shit to the gym...look in the mirror..dont count fucking reps...stand at the cable machine with a short bar...use a narrow grip...kness slightly bent...hooded sweatshirt on...no ficking music in your ears..and just do as many short curls as you can..untill your gums bleeds..untill you almost shit yourself...untill you puke...then go more...THEN think of that fire...Ill be there right with you...its where I live...its where I enjoy the pain...its how I roll.....Im not a giant...Im not a monster but Ill go toe to toe with the pain anyday....its what I want.....

its up to you to embrace the pain...the life...the fire

its tough love....but you have lots of it here on this forum....we all care...we all hurt...we all live the life.....if you deside to stop the gym...its ok...but just stay active with family...love your friends...but never give up in what you believe in bro...either the gym...ping pong or what ever...just keep moving forward and .................................................. ...............at 33...dont even.....

sanga
10-18-08, 1:44 pm
Excellent post k1usa.

See Thumperz I would never had known all that about K1usa if it wasn`t for your thread here, we are all here for one another, if I can ever help you out, or anyone else for that matter just ask, if I can do it I will be glad to.

Thumperz
10-23-08, 9:26 pm
Thanks for the encouragement. It's exactly what I needed. I've been in the middle of changing careers so I'm broke and working my tail off so I was a little down when my shoulder was hurting. I found that I was dehydrated and as I drank more and made sure to sleep on my back my shoulder pain went away. I've changed up my routine and I'm feeling sore and good. I had two of the best workouts this week that I've had in a long time.

I think I'm about to try my first cutting phase of my life. Its going to be intresting. I know I don't do well with ongoing doses of anything with caffeine, so I'll just have to eat clean and hit the treadmill.

Thanks again for helping a brother out.

Hollow
10-24-08, 7:28 am
Sounds like things are getting back on track for you Thumperz. Good luck to you during your cutting phase.

On Letting Go
10-24-08, 7:41 am
Glad to hear youre doin better. Tough love, baby. Works wonders. I love this fuckin forvm.

k1usa
10-28-08, 8:44 pm
Never fucking give up bro.....keep it rolling

Psycho77
10-28-08, 8:53 pm
That should definitely light a fire under your ass!

It did with me, I suddenly felt the need to squat, dead or bench something heavy.

Hope you find your drive Thumperz.

Ir0nClad
10-28-08, 11:51 pm
Heres a good quote that I like to use all the time, and one that definately applies to this situation.

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

InkdMuscle
10-29-08, 12:15 am

suggestions?

Well since u moved to southern cali bro. Hit up the SoCal ABC's. We have one going on Nov8 in Riverside at TEMPLE gym. Check out our thread in the Board section. We travel all around So Cal to get our ABC's. You can get some great partners with in our Crew. Check it out partner.

Stone05
10-29-08, 10:32 pm
Wow... I love this forum. I was having similar thoughts of "I need to refocus", "Losing the fire" blah, blah, blah.... Then I read some of the responses to this thread. Talk about motivation... I may print out Tiny and K1USA's responses and tape them to my bathroom mirror just to refer to whenever that little voice tells me.."You're tired...it's 5:00am...get back in the bed." I can always count on this forum to kick me in the ass when I feel lazy and unfocused. Looking forward to rising in the morning to hit the iron!