PDA

View Full Version : Joseb's Journey II

Joseb
10-19-08, 3:08 pm
I'm turning my attention to sport specific training. It has taken me a long time to realize that though bodybuilding and powerlifting are two of my passions, I only have 3 years left to play Football and to Wrestle. I'm going to dive in head first.. lets see where this one goes.

goals will be posted later

prowrestler
10-19-08, 3:36 pm
I'm turning my attention to sport specific training. It has taken me a long time to realize that though bodybuilding and powerlifting are two of my passions, I only have 3 years left to play Football and to Wrestle. I'm going to dive in head first.. lets see where this one goes.

goals will be posted later

good lucjk

Joseb
10-19-08, 9:21 pm
thanks alot bro!

On the Field:
- Set an Example to my teammates through actions
- Earn a Player of the Week award
- Play with 100% emotion and intensity
- Get Faster [run a 4.8 40 yard dash]
- Be fucking agressive, a mean and nasty motherfucker

On the Mat:
- No losses, remain undefeated
- Never ever give up during a match
- Push harder than everyone during practice
- Earn a Player of the Week award
- A bigger gas tank
- Wrestle in the Heavyweight/215 class by next year
- Increase basic skills [shooting, sprawling, set ups, and takedowns]

In the Trenches:
Bench [current:?? estimating machine said 230 but i think its a bit less]
-2008[until december]: Get 255+ on the Bench Press
-2008-2009[school year]: Get 315+
Squat [current: Around 305]
-2008[december]: Get 345+
-2008-09[school year]: get 405+
Deadlift [current: a bit higher than 335]
-2008[december]: Get 385+
-2008-09[school year]: get 455+
Clean and Jerk [current - 175]
-2008[december]: Get 215+
-2008-09: Get 285+
Snatch [current - 135]
-2008[december] - get 175+
-2008-09: Get 225
[numbers mean nothing, these are ridiculously high goals.. whether i succeed or fail is not only up to what happens between now and the deadlines but also in my genetic ability. Fuck rational goals, im not a rational person]
- Train balls to the wall, dive head first into hard work.. think about the concequences later
- NEVER EVER, skip a training date.
- Increase my verticle jump.

In the Kitchen:
- No missed meals, ever
- Exact measurements
- Add more veggies/fruits
- NO CHEAT MEALS DURING WEEKDAYS [unless prescribed specifically]
In School:
- Maintain grades [A- to A+]
- Learn something in new in each class, every day
- Organize homework, assignments, and test dates in a planner
- Devote one hour a day to review and study

Joseb
10-19-08, 9:27 pm
I'm going add another goal:
Post 1 reflection on the day, everyday on this journey
Post 1 workout plan for the week every sunday
Post how the workout went every day

Joseb
10-20-08, 10:37 pm
Bench + Chest
Bench Press 7x5
185x5 - 4 sets
190x5 - 1 set
195x5 - 2 sets [missed two on the first, missed one on the second]

DB Pullovers x8 x6 x6
70x8
80x6
85x6 - highest dumbells they had at my friend's gym- pr

Incline Flys
40x8
50x6 - pr
60x6 - pr
great pump in my chest.

Decent workout, had an intense feel to it that i loved. I missed 3 reps overall and i was a bit disappointed but failure is part of success

Joseb
10-20-08, 10:42 pm
I was really tired during football today. I didnt know why but i was dragging ass the whole time. My calves may have also gotten a bit weaker because i felt them getting that "pumped" feeling while i was running

Things to work on
- Firing out harder
- Engage -> shed
- use my hands more on defense
- Build up my endurance.. its in the shitter right now
- Get faster -> Run sprints

How to work on them
- Remind myself every time i get set to fire out as hard as possible
- Remind myself before each play to get rid of the blocker by using a move
- ''
- See speed program
- see speed program

dominate77
10-20-08, 11:28 pm
nice work man

hows your season going? did you make varsity?

Joseb
10-23-08, 7:28 pm
idk. i was starting the week before i got injured [thoracic sprain] but i missed a week and half of practice so my spots filled.
im working really hard to try and get my spot back and it sucks even more cause i dont play on jv.. im just on standby. im gonna ask to go on jv if im not gonna start.
our season is alright 4-2 right now.
it sucks cause we pissed away both games.
we need to win the rest of the games and then we can get into the playoffs.

im blocking the shit outta people now though, i blocked the starting end who's 250 down field, i was really surprised too.. i guess chopping your feet IS really as important as the coaches say. havent gotten that much time on defense since the injury.. :[

in my opinion, we need to drastically change things up. we need to stop running 100's and 50's and start doing some explosive 30's and 20's with higher reps.
we dont even lift as a team.. we need to get in the gym atleast 3 times a week as a team and pack on some size and strength. AND, we need our d line to make more plays, we run a 3-4 defense so its more focused on lb's but you cant fucking only rely on them.
shit i ranted my ass off, how about your season?

Joseb
10-23-08, 7:32 pm
Squat Day + Legs
245x5x2
255x5x1
265x5x1
295x5x2
300x5x1

Step Ups
60lbsx6repsx3sets

sick workout.. made me very happy, first time ive squatted 300 pounds.

Joseb
10-23-08, 7:36 pm
Military Press
135x5x3
125x5x3
135x4x1<- missed a rep
i was too cocky and lifted with my ego so i got what i deserved.. good lesson

Reverse DB Flys
70x8
80x8
85x6 <-- cheated

Seated DB Laterals
30x8x3

dominate77
10-23-08, 10:43 pm
idk. i was starting the week before i got injured [thoracic sprain] but i missed a week and half of practice so my spots filled.
im working really hard to try and get my spot back and it sucks even more cause i dont play on jv.. im just on standby. im gonna ask to go on jv if im not gonna start.
our season is alright 4-2 right now.
it sucks cause we pissed away both games.
we need to win the rest of the games and then we can get into the playoffs.

im blocking the shit outta people now though, i blocked the starting end who's 250 down field, i was really surprised too.. i guess chopping your feet IS really as important as the coaches say. havent gotten that much time on defense since the injury.. :[

in my opinion, we need to drastically change things up. we need to stop running 100's and 50's and start doing some explosive 30's and 20's with higher reps.
we dont even lift as a team.. we need to get in the gym atleast 3 times a week as a team and pack on some size and strength. AND, we need our d line to make more plays, we run a 3-4 defense so its more focused on lb's but you cant fucking only rely on them.
shit i ranted my ass off, how about your season?

Nice, if we win tomorrow night we're in the playoffs too.
3 of the games we've lost this year have been the same way. one, which we lost 3 weeks ago, was lost in overtime by 3 points. Our place holder slipped and the kick bounced off someones back. That was one of the shittiest feelings. Being that close haha.
Than the other game was a preason one that we just weren't conditioned enough to win (believe me we haven't been out of shape for a game since). We were up at the half by a TD and lost 27-42. Felt way closer than that though. Than another one we lost i got matched up against the best defensive end i've ever played against. He was a fuckin monster, really quick for a guy that size. he broke a few pieces of my helmet lol. But anyways, we were up down by 10 at the half and our O just couldn't keep it going after half time. I had fun that game any ways though, and am really looking forward to playing with that guy again, he's only a junior too.

Joseb
10-24-08, 1:36 am
bullshit workout
deads:
275x3x1 = grip failed on 3rd
275x2x1 = grip failed on 2nd
275x4x1 = grip failed on 4th

i decided to end it right there than to use bad form to try and force some bullshit reps.
heres what happened,
my right hand, the one that i grip underhanded kept slipping and it would ruin my set. now, ive never had any trouble with grip before.. i regularly did 275 for 8 reps with no problems with my grip, maybe my hands would hurt but my grip NEVER failed on me. Ive also done 315 on the smolov junior for 10 sets of 3.. it was relatively easy and my grip was solid.
it was only my right hand that troubled me, does anyone have any answers?

Joseb
10-26-08, 4:11 pm
Arms
Thick Dumbell Curls
25x12
30x10
40x8
40x7
superset
Overhead Dumbell Extensions
60x12
70x10
80x8
80x6

Preacher Curls w/ thick e-z bar
45x12
55x10
55x10
65x8
felt really weak but i starting feeling back to normal on my third set and i think i couldve done more on the last set

Thick Bar Incline Close Grip Bench Press
145x10
155x8 <- PR? maybe
165x8 <- PR
175x5 <- PR

Pizzalamp
10-27-08, 11:21 am
good luck joseb

Joseb
10-27-08, 10:58 pm
thanks grant

Rack Benches: Set the bars at 1 inch over my chest and came to a dead stop every rep
185x5x2
190x5x2
195x5x2
205x4+1 forced

good workout imo, intensity level was high.. im gonna get an ipod soon, pretty excited. its orange for my school colors, im pretty much obsessed with school pride now that its football season.

Gonna go on the velocity diet in a couple of days

Joseb
10-29-08, 7:39 am
FUCK. plans went awry.. no velocity diet.
no workout today = resting my cns
im not gonna do deads either this thursday
I AM, going to do some killer pullups though.. along with maybe some rows

dominate77
10-29-08, 9:59 am
nice job yesterday man

whats the velocity diet

Joseb
11-01-08, 7:16 pm
the velocity diet is a 28 day long insane cut where you have up to 100 carbs on training days [for me cause im 206] and your meals are 5 mixed protein shakes.
its supposed to require insane amounts of will power.
i dont have protein so im just gonna go with 6 meals of tuna, a scoop of protein [24g of protein], and 6 tbsps of evoo daily.
i dont have any cutting pills, thermogenics and what not.
my carbs are gonna come from 1/2 a cup of oatmeal and gaterade while im training.

LUCKILY.. i have a sweet tub of livertabs and a perfect amount of nitro that i had been saving.

on the other hand. ive been having shooting pains up my right arm along with a noticeable loss of dexterity and strength in my right hand. gonna get it checked out on tuesday.
FUCK I NEED TO DEADLIFT.. i havent deadlifted in 2 weeks.
putting a squat bar on my traps also causes shooting pains down my arm.. maybe a pinched nerve in my neck

Joseb
11-04-08, 1:59 pm
doctor today
yesterday's workout
bench
8x4 -175 [80% 1RM]

hopefully im gonna be able to squat today.

this diet is killing me. the beginning is fucking hell.
hopefully it gets easier after a couple days after my body adjusts

dominate77
11-04-08, 9:07 pm
are you doing smolov bench routine right now? i dunno if i would CUT while doing it...

Joseb
11-05-08, 7:01 am
nope
im just going low reps at 80% for every lift. and then raising the weight by 5-10 pounds a week.
i have to cut to get ready for wrestling season, i have 27 carbs pre workout and 13 carbs during the workout as well as bcaa's so i hope i wont feel THAT weak

dominate77
11-05-08, 6:58 pm
oh i get ya. I forgot you wrestle. They've been trying to make me so much this year. I've gotten pulled out of algebra 2 twice in one week by the coach but i told him i don't have any desire to do. I mean it's a cool sport and all but i can't even stand how weak i get after football season, and wrestling is so much more conditioning that i'd probably be down another 15-25 pounds on each lift and that would kill me mentally.

Joseb
11-05-08, 7:10 pm
haha yeah, i get what you mean. try not going as high as you can.. ive recently read that your body gets used to the weight and stalls so its better to start low and keep raising the bar on a regular basis. its kinda the concept behind the smolov jr and rippetoe's basic barbell training

dominate77
11-05-08, 7:46 pm
haha yeah, i get what you mean. try not going as high as you can.. ive recently read that your body gets used to the weight and stalls so its better to start low and keep raising the bar on a regular basis. its kinda the concept behind the smolov jr and rippetoe's basic barbell training

what do you mean not going as high as you can? like maxing out and going to failure? i've learned not to go to failure every set, it definitely wont make you stronger if you do every single workout

Joseb
11-05-08, 10:52 pm
yeah thats what i meant. i was just saying that cause i saw that you had failed reps so i thought i'd tell you an alternative.

Squats yesterday [80%]
8x4x275

Military Press Today [80%]
8x4x125

dominate77
11-06-08, 9:46 pm
yeah thats what i meant. i was just saying that cause i saw that you had failed reps so i thought i'd tell you an alternative.

Squats yesterday [80%]
8x4x275

Military Press Today [80%]
8x4x125

oh yeah i have a lot of failed reps lately cause we've been testing for maxes...It's really hard sometimes to accept not going to failure and beyond for me, but i noticed that i plateau for ever if thats all i do.

liking the simplicity of the workout man

Joseb
11-07-08, 1:14 pm
thanks alot.
gonna hit deads and maybe 1 or 2 exercises for bi's and tri's

practice was good. idk but i think ive been playing better ever since i started to cut.
i just feel this weird aggression and i've lost my sense of humor.. lol ive never been so angry during a cut.
I was basically in the whole practice and i felt like coaches noticed me alot. Got like 4-6 tackles in the 9-10 plays i was in on defense. I cant really remember but im sure i got 2 sacks outta those four tkles.
i blocked the shit outta one of our captains a couple times.. it hurt like hell but i felt really proud. The thing that sucks is.. im fucking out of it. i cant concentrate and hear the plays sometimes. I puked a shitload during practice and almost passed out as well as getting cleated in the nuts. Idk about this diet during football or even wrestling.
[this reminds me that i havent posted it yet]
Weekdays: 1800 kcal [206protein, 100gCarbs, 70 fat]
Weekends: 1500 kcal [206protein, 70fat]
Basically eating all meals: 1 can tuna with 1tbsp evoo + pre [1/2 cup oats]+intra[1tbsp gatorade powder w/ 2 liters of water]

I was really dogging it towards the end of practice and missed 3 blocks back to back.. and sprints was where i almost passed out.
brain still hurts, visions still blurry. gonnna fuck siht up on deads tonigte i hope.

Pizzalamp
11-07-08, 9:03 pm
bro-be careful w/ that diet-please dont take offense but i dont think it sounds right for u right now...i think its gonna be counter productive and possibly harmful...

dominate77
11-07-08, 10:54 pm
bro-be careful w/ that diet-please dont take offense but i dont think it sounds right for u right now...i think its gonna be counter productive and possibly harmful...

agreed, football season is no time to cut calories period in my opinion. And it also sounds like you've got yourself a concussion

Joseb
11-08-08, 10:03 am

agreed, football season is no time to cut calories period in my opinion. And it also sounds like you've got yourself a concussion

thanks alot guys for the concern, im gonna stop doing this particular cut.. im gonna raise the calories and add in a bunch of carbs. i'll probably make weight anyways cause of practice.

No concussion, i did the test and the trainer said im fine.. i think it was cause i was tired.

Deads: sucked, my grip is gone. couldnt even warm-up with pull-ups, went to pulldowns and i couldnt grip it either.
the orthopedist said the grip will be back, i guess ive just got to wait it out.

dominate77
11-08-08, 10:25 am
what weight you trying to cut to anyways? you going to go 215 next year?

thats good about the concussion, those are a bitch lol

tryinging to do deadlifts after practice is pretty tough anyways, thats beastly even attempting it man.

Joseb
11-08-08, 11:37 am
this year, im only 206.. i was expecting to be back around 230 like i was in june so i could cut to 215 or if i had to 189.
but since im only 206.. 171 is for me this year. I wanna go heavyweight either next year or senior year.

dominate77
11-09-08, 12:08 am
this year, im only 206.. i was expecting to be back around 230 like i was in june so i could cut to 215 or if i had to 189.
but since im only 206.. 171 is for me this year. I wanna go heavyweight either next year or senior year.

nice, my buddy lost to the 2 time national champion (Tyrell Fortune) at 215 at state and got 2nd and another one won heavy weight with two moves lol. The other whos life IS wrestling won state as a junior at 155 i think it was

Joseb
11-09-08, 4:22 pm
wooooaaah. you have good wrestler friends. my school's not that great at wrestling..lol. all our wrestlers lost in the first round of states.

Pizzalamp
11-09-08, 7:04 pm
thanks alot guys for the concern, im gonna stop doing this particular cut.. im gonna raise the calories and add in a bunch of carbs. i'll probably make weight anyways cause of practice.

No concussion, i did the test and the trainer said im fine.. i think it was cause i was tired.

Deads: sucked, my grip is gone. couldnt even warm-up with pull-ups, went to pulldowns and i couldnt grip it either.
the orthopedist said the grip will be back, i guess ive just got to wait it out.

i glad u decided to change the diet...and good u dont have concussion...ahh good luck w/ your grip bro

dominate77
11-10-08, 12:28 am
wooooaaah. you have good wrestler friends. my school's not that great at wrestling..lol. all our wrestlers lost in the first round of states.

yeah i dunno, the 155er is the only one is all about it though, the other two got offered scholorships to multiple colleges. One doesn't want to do it because he hates cutting weight, he's in town right now i dunno if he's going to go back to college or not.

Joseb
11-10-08, 6:20 pm
i glad u decided to change the diet...and good u dont have concussion...ahh good luck w/ your grip bro

thanks, im gonna try what sgt rock told me to do. i had moderate calories today but my sprints were still horrible. we did 100's today and it was death. Gotta step it up, gonna try to do some conditioning/speed work in the mornings.

yeah i dunno, the 155er is the only one is all about it though, the other two got offered scholorships to multiple colleges. One doesn't want to do it because he hates cutting weight, he's in town right now i dunno if he's going to go back to college or not.

i actually dont mind cutting weight, but im more into football than wrestling. I started wrestling because of football and im gonna be all about football now. Im gonna focus ALOT of time on sprints and explosiveness, probably just as much time as i spend weight training.
I still love wrestling though, Its the best feeling in the world when you're in wrestling condition.. it feels like you can do anything. Plus you get really good mental toughness.

im gonna introduce the tabata method to my team.. should have a couple lost lunches :]

In case anyone's wondering
Tabata Method

20 seconds of all out activity [i.e sprints, biking, front squats, kb swings, etc] followed by
10 seconds of rest.

Repeat 8 times.. or as many as you can get.

dominate77
11-10-08, 8:13 pm
that sounds pretty intense

Joseb
11-11-08, 6:05 pm
did it yesterday with burpees
it was hard.. but not as hard as i had expected. its good stuff

yesterday's bench workout
8x4x185 [80%+10]

gonna squat later on today

im also going to try and go to sport's authority and pick up some snorkels to help with my lung capacity

dominate77
11-11-08, 6:41 pm
did it yesterday with burpees
it was hard.. but not as hard as i had expected. its good stuff

yesterday's bench workout
8x4x185 [80%+10]

gonna squat later on today

im also going to try and go to sport's authority and pick up some snorkels to help with my lung capacity

nice thinking man! i think i may try something like that now, like do a few swimming workouts for conditioning when it's way too snowy to do sprints, that shit is fuckin harder than you think.

Did you think of it by yourself?

Joseb
11-11-08, 7:08 pm
haha i wish. nah ive seen some fighters train with snorkels. like while they're doing shuttle runs or HIIT and those guys can go hard for a long ass time so i thought "why not give it a try?"

that swimming thing doesnt sound too bad either, the only thing is idk if you can really do sprints while swimming.

if it ever gets too snowy to do sprints.. ill do hiit training.. SHOVELING BABY! and then ill do some intense stationary bike workouts or some crossfit

dominate77
11-11-08, 7:42 pm
haha i wish. nah ive seen some fighters train with snorkels. like while they're doing shuttle runs or HIIT and those guys can go hard for a long ass time so i thought "why not give it a try?"

that swimming thing doesnt sound too bad either, the only thing is idk if you can really do sprints while swimming.

if it ever gets too snowy to do sprints.. ill do hiit training.. SHOVELING BABY! and then ill do some intense stationary bike workouts or some crossfit

oh no i don't mean sprinting i just meant swimming laps in a pool with short rests in between. I'm sure thats gotta be a decent alternative for conditioning if you can't run outside.

Pizzalamp
11-11-08, 10:46 pm

swimming kills me...even when i was running like crazy laps in the pool would kill me

Joseb
11-12-08, 8:27 pm
no doubt man it would, works your body in totally different way.. shocks the results outta you haha. maybe youll even get stronger.. some small muscles that can be accessed by normal means could get developed ya know?

swimming kills me too.. its scary when you're tired in the water, you feel like you're gonna die.. atleast i do

dominate77
11-12-08, 11:51 pm
i dunno man swimming is like natural for me. I think i got it from my dad. i've never felt scared in the water.

But after swimming the whole day in the lake at my grandparents, i was always so dead. It was like how you feel after a really hard squat day but 3 times less energy.

Joseb
11-13-08, 9:21 pm
yeah i kinda get that. its like you get tired after you stop doing it right?
but for me, squats never really tire me out so much.
i get all shaky, dizzy, and tired for like an hour or two, but im never really unable to do anything else the rest of the day b.c of a hard leg day

dominate77
11-13-08, 10:24 pm
yeah i kinda get that. its like you get tired after you stop doing it right?
but for me, squats never really tire me out so much.
i get all shaky, dizzy, and tired for like an hour or two, but im never really unable to do anything else the rest of the day b.c of a hard leg day

yeah it's like someone drains you of all energy.

i always just feel like kickin back after a squat workout, like the best thing to me is just sitting in a chair and watching tv lol

Joseb
11-18-08, 6:43 pm
YOOHOO
Rippetoe's:
WorkoutA
Squat
5/5/5 - 260 barspeed good

Bench
5/5/5 - 175 barspeed good

Deadlift
5/5/5 - 265 barspeed good

Joseb
11-21-08, 8:13 pm
sick on weds.. didnt go to school
thursday i was busy catching up w. school work
so i did my wednesday workout today
Squat
3x5 275 barspeed good
Military Press
3x5 120 barspeed good
Power cleans
3x5 135 barspeed good

gonna do monday's workout again tomorrow.

been feeling really sick, i felt like crap for 3 days straight.
diets going alright.. gonna stick it out for another week and see if i need to adjust anything.
i think my calories are too high.. but we shall see.

dominate77
11-21-08, 10:34 pm
nice bro liking this type of workout, where'd you get that idea?

SQUAT or DIE!
11-21-08, 11:29 pm
well thanks for telling me you had a new journey bro.. great goals u got...

Joseb
11-22-08, 2:58 pm
LOL MY BAD SQUAT
i didnt really tell anyone.. it might be selfish, but this record is more to help me see my progress

this is mark rippetoe's basic barbell!
theres two workouts
Workout A and Workout B
Workout A:
Squat
Bench
Deadlift

Workout B:
Squat
Military Press
Power Cleans

on the first workout, you do 15% less than your 5 rep max[better to guess low]

You go up on lifts like this:
Squat: 10-15lbs per workout
Deadlift: 15-20 lbs per workout
Bench, Military Press, Powercleans: 5-10lbs per workout

and you decide how much you raise the weight by the barspeed and if you got all the reps
ex:
exercise/set1reps/set2reps/set3reps and you evaluate the barspeed
so:
Squat/5/5/5 if your barspeed was really good, then you'd go up 15
if it was slow and you really struggled, then you'd only go up 10
even if you miss a rep, then you'd go up 10

that next week
you'd repeat it, raise the weight like this:
good bar speed :15
slow bar speed :10
missed reps: 5

idk.. look it up

Joseb
11-22-08, 7:30 pm
Squat:
290 -5/5/5 barspeed alright.. better on the last set, maybe cause of cold muscles?
gonna hit the treadmill/bike/elliptical RELIGIOUSLY as a warmup from now on

Bench
5/5/5
Barspeed: Good! nearly blasted off of my chest. As always.. no touch, 1/2 inch from my chest or closer

Deadlift
5/5/5
barspeed: good
knocked these out easy, my grip is back! the thing i hate about this gym [1 of the 3 i go to*] is that they get pissed at the slightest slamming noise. so i had to set it down really softly and that was harder than the actual lift itself

Ballys
Pros: Has a shitload of different machines and racks. Has many plates, open spaces for shit,
and 3 sets of each dumbell!
Cons: 30 minutes to drive there! [w/ traffic] NO ONE FUCKING RACKS ANYTHING, managers are lazy, dumbells only up to 85, LOUD ASS SHITTY MUSIC

Oxygen
Pros: 15 minute WALK!, dumbells up to 120, empty most of the time, EVERYONE RACKS EVERYTHING!, owner is the nicest guy, and they have a dog.
Cons: limited stations/racks [only one half rack, one bench, one incline], can't drop anything [or even set it down hard], weird bars.

School Gym
Pros: 10 minute walk! 8 platforms with adjustable half racks, 8 adjustable benches, weighted dip machine!, bad ass music [i usually put whatever i want on :)] everything is orderly, kettlebells!, boxes!, misc things for speed work..etc
Cons: idiot assholes everywhere i look, girls who just talk to guys, guys who just talk to girls, guys who talk to guys, 8 people using all the racks for curls/ benches, people telling me how i should lift. the list goes on.

Big3
11-22-08, 8:58 pm
Do you know MassMan? He's my younger brother and asked me to check into your journey to see how you're doing.

Joseb
11-22-08, 9:49 pm
doing alright man,
nice to meet you.

you've got one strong younger brother

dominate77
11-22-08, 11:35 pm
looks like a solid program.

where do you think you'll train? the school gym is probably the best bet right, free and everything

Joseb
11-23-08, 3:58 pm
yeah.. school gym is where its at. i like training there the most outta all the other places.

im really looking into Defranco's training right now.. its this great place about 30 minutes away

dominate77
11-23-08, 11:05 pm
yeah.. school gym is where its at. i like training there the most outta all the other places.

im really looking into Defranco's training right now.. its this great place about 30 minutes away

are you shitting me? you live that close to defrancos? hell fuckin yeah train there, just the atmosphere will have you lifting more

Joseb
11-24-08, 12:00 am
yeah its in wycoff... not too far from my town

i think it'll be cool to have a bunch of people who are stronger then me there.. there arent many strong kids in my town, so i think some competition will drive me like crazy

dominate77
11-24-08, 12:13 am
yeah its in wycoff... not too far from my town

i think it'll be cool to have a bunch of people who are stronger then me there.. there arent many strong kids in my town, so i think some competition will drive me like crazy

thats what i'm talking about. how much is a membership?

Joseb
11-24-08, 7:12 pm
idk, it doesnt say on his site. i emailed him but no reply yet

yo i got this awesome drive these days.. i just wanna work and train and get better.
its like ive got tunnel vision

Big3
11-24-08, 8:52 pm
Do you work out alone, or with a training buddy?

Joseb
11-24-08, 11:06 pm
Do you work out alone, or with a training buddy?

eh, i dunno. I set a routine every week [currently its : mon.wed.fri] stick to it.
I've got a couple kids who sometimes train with me and they do whatever i'm doing.
It sounds selfish.. but they need to take the initiative, i can't do it for them. I used to drag em around to the gym, track, field.. etc, but now i dont bother. I want them to be successful at whatever they're doing.. but as "g" said, "don't carry your friends on the wings of your ambitions"

TODAY, i had a training partner. He has a hell of a work ethic.. he's also my best friend.

Squat
305 - 5/5/4* barspeed mediocre
i did get my fourth rep.. but my spotter had to help me a bit.
i'm going by "meet" rules.. so as soon as i get touched or the bar gets touched.. the lift is no good. NOTE: only up 10 pounds on wednesday

Military Press
130 - 5/5/5 barspeed good
nothing really special here.. was pissed off the whole time, some jackass was blocking my bar for his shrugs. REALLY, DO YOU NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR WHILE YOU LIFT?
i actually prefer to not have a mirror, you can focus ALOT more IMO

Powercleans
145 - 5/5/5 barspeed good [how the hell can there be a slow power clean]
Alright, notes notes notes: i had no trouble with the reps, i was focusing alot of my energy on keeping good form and exploding my body..

Good day at practice.. had alot of sacks. On of them, i accidentaly hit the quarter back [i couldnt stop] and the head coach got really pissed at me.
and I learned about something called defensive holding.. never ever heard about it before.
wtf
last full padded practice tomorrow! that was fucking quick..

Joseb
11-26-08, 9:31 pm
Squat
315 0/1/0
after this.. i didnt have the focus to do the rest of my workout. i felt totally deflated

Joseb
12-01-08, 7:45 pm
fucking tired as hell.
wrestling is killer.. i need to get in shape QUICK
tomorrow morning im gonna go crazy with conditioning.
TODAY
legs+tabata front squats+circuit
circuit:
[bike: 30 second sprint -> box jumps: 10 -> Man Makers:10 -> burpees: 10]x3 rounds
NO REST!

gonna go do it now.. numbers in a bit

dominate77
12-01-08, 11:42 pm
sounds like a lot is on your plate bro. hope you can balance it all out and still make gains into the wrestling season

Joseb
12-02-08, 7:39 am
man.. first day was hell.
i was real weak on the squat yesterday.
i ended up just repping out 135x20 for one set and then foam rolling my body 30 minutes.
i still feel messed up this morning.. gonna take it easy this week, maybe imy body'll get used to the practices and ill be able to train as hard as i want to

Joseb
12-02-08, 6:51 pm
didnt puke today!
i really do need to work on my technique.. everything feels so awkward.
i couldnt pin a kid that i was always better than today.. i weighed like 20 pounds more than him too.
gotta work on wrestling a bit more

Joseb
12-10-08, 6:43 pm
wrestling is getting much better. ive improved my shot and conditioning.. only way is up now.

Monday: Mom said i couldnt go.
Tuesday: During school free period: rack benches 205 5/5/5
Tuesday NIGHT at gym
Squat: 265/5/ - 275/5/ - 285/5/
Knee Squats: 275/5/ - 295/5/ - 315/5/

knee squats are awesome.. it gets me used to the heavier weights and also helps with hip/glute explosion

TODAY [Wednesday]: rest rest rest rest rest. Got into an argument with an senior today.. i usually try to respect seniority and back down, but this guy is always picking on me. He was exclaiming loudly in the weight room [team conditioning lifting] that i was fat that it was the creatine that had done it. Now, i know im fat.. i think im fat, ive got 18% bodyfat.. thats fat! first of all, i had only taken creatine for 2 months.. then reverting to nitro and universal eaa's. He was also talking about because i took creatine everyday without lifting and "burning it off" i got especially fat.
This irked me a bit and i hate misinformation so i countered his argument. I told him that it was impossible that creatine would make a person fat as well as saying that i lifted 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour and thirty for 6 months [technically 8 but im only using the school year]. On top of this.. i was on a 5000-6000 calorie per day diet. I was obviously not going to remain lean.
he kept going on about how if you don't burn off your creatine, then it become fat. I told him that if creatine doesnt get used with a short period of time it gets broken down into creatinine which gets pissed out of your body. He said "exactly" creatinine is a waste, your body stores waste as lipids. i said no, thats not true, your body stores excess calories[energy] in lipids. Then he went on about how he was in AP bio and AP chem and whatever.. then i told him that if he was.. he should know that i was right. He then went to the school trainer and asked him.. our trainer is pretty knowledgable and he said no, it doesnt get stored as fat.. but it can make you gain some water weight. And he goes "PROOF" creatine makes you fat because of water weight. I then told him that water weight isnt fat.. its just water stored within your body. I said it couldnt make you look fatter.. but it doesnt make you fat. Then he went back to talking about how his original point was that creatine makes you look fat, so i told him that wasnt it. etc etc.
He then called me a retard.. and we each changed. After i was done changing and packing up.. he came to my locker and stared me down. He told me that he would only tell me once.. that if i talked back to him again he would make my face hit the ground. I twitched my lip i guess so he told me that he would rip my lips off if i did it again. I just listened and nodded. After he left.. i packed my stuff up and came here. *sigh* highschool :[

Big3
12-10-08, 7:33 pm
wrestling is getting much better. ive improved my shot and conditioning.. only way is up now.

Monday: Mom said i couldnt go.
Tuesday: During school free period: rack benches 205 5/5/5
Tuesday NIGHT at gym
Squat: 265/5/ - 275/5/ - 285/5/
Knee Squats: 275/5/ - 295/5/ - 315/5/

knee squats are awesome.. it gets me used to the heavier weights and also helps with hip/glute explosion

TODAY [Wednesday]: rest rest rest rest rest. Got into an argument with an senior today.. i usually try to respect seniority and back down, but this guy is always picking on me. He was exclaiming loudly in the weight room [team conditioning lifting] that i was fat that it was the creatine that had done it. Now, i know im fat.. i think im fat, ive got 18% bodyfat.. thats fat! first of all, i had only taken creatine for 2 months.. then reverting to nitro and universal eaa's. He was also talking about because i took creatine everyday without lifting and "burning it off" i got especially fat.
This irked me a bit and i hate misinformation so i countered his argument. I told him that it was impossible that creatine would make a person fat as well as saying that i lifted 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour and thirty for 6 months [technically 8 but im only using the school year]. On top of this.. i was on a 5000-6000 calorie per day diet. I was obviously not going to remain lean.
he kept going on about how if you don't burn off your creatine, then it become fat. I told him that if creatine doesnt get used with a short period of time it gets broken down into creatinine which gets pissed out of your body. He said "exactly" creatinine is a waste, your body stores waste as lipids. i said no, thats not true, your body stores excess calories[energy] in lipids. Then he went on about how he was in AP bio and AP chem and whatever.. then i told him that if he was.. he should know that i was right. He then went to the school trainer and asked him.. our trainer is pretty knowledgable and he said no, it doesnt get stored as fat.. but it can make you gain some water weight. And he goes "PROOF" creatine makes you fat because of water weight. I then told him that water weight isnt fat.. its just water stored within your body. I said it couldnt make you look fatter.. but it doesnt make you fat. Then he went back to talking about how his original point was that creatine makes you look fat, so i told him that wasnt it. etc etc.
He then called me a retard.. and we each changed. After i was done changing and packing up.. he came to my locker and stared me down. He told me that he would only tell me once.. that if i talked back to him again he would make my face hit the ground. I twitched my lip i guess so he told me that he would rip my lips off if i did it again. I just listened and nodded. After he left.. i packed my stuff up and came here. *sigh* highschool :[

what a little insensitive bitch! he should get his balls kicked. just shrug it off, man. soon, you'll be bigger and stronger than all the seniors and they won't mess with you. no one picked on me because i let people know who was the boss. respect has to be earned and this little pussy deserves none.

dominate77
12-10-08, 7:59 pm
don't take that bitches shit dude. He sounds like one of those nutsacks who thinks because they're older everyone should wipe their ass because they equate being an upper classmen with intelligence.

Joseb
12-10-08, 10:05 pm
what a little insensitive bitch! he should get his balls kicked. just shrug it off, man. soon, you'll be bigger and stronger than all the seniors and they won't mess with you. no one picked on me because i let people know who was the boss. respect has to be earned and this little pussy deserves none.

don't take that bitches shit dude. He sounds like one of those nutsacks who thinks because they're older everyone should wipe their ass because they equate being an upper classmen with intelligence.

unfortunately, thats how a lot of kids are. I'm actually stronger than he is.. my tiny 315 squat is more than he does without going atg. i put him on his back in practice yesterday and knocking him around during football a bit a while back. Honestly.. if it were me a year ago [150lbs and not lifting yet] i probably wouldve flipped a shit on him and called him out on his bullshit. But ever since i started to lift, i don't really bother.. i've got better things to do.
im kinda sad that no one commented on my workout :[

Here I Stand
12-10-08, 10:17 pm
idk, it doesnt say on his site. i emailed him but no reply yet

yo i got this awesome drive these days.. i just wanna work and train and get better.
its like ive got tunnel vision

lately i have been feeling that way. seeing improvements happen will definitely give u tunnel vision.

Big3
12-11-08, 5:17 pm
are knee squats like box squats or squats to parallel?

you had a nice w/o, just the fact a retard called you out was more interesting...

Joseb
12-11-08, 6:46 pm
haha, i feel better now.
knee squats are : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tya3.htm
its almost exactly like the hip explosion of a sitout or standup in wrestling so i figure itll help me out

Pizzalamp
12-11-08, 7:52 pm
that senior sounds like a piece of crap...sorry that had to happen joseb

Joseb
12-11-08, 10:16 pm
hey thanks alot grant. i hope i dont turn out like that when i'm a senior
Today:
Deads:
275 - 5/5/5
295 - 5/5/5
315 - 5/5/5

20 minutes of Foam rolling for my whole back, quads, hams, and calves.

Joseb
12-11-08, 10:19 pm
argh.. i really want to run a 40 under 5 seconds.

dominate77
12-12-08, 12:01 am
nice work with your deads man.

under 5 seconds is fuckin fast for a lineman, like a true 4.1-9 is extremely hard to do. A lot of guys will tell you they run a 4.4 and its like "hmmm was it electronically timed" "no" "well than coaches fingure must have been slow the day your ran it"

Joseb
12-12-08, 6:53 pm
thanks. all the weights felt the same.. weird

lol yeah, people underestimate how fast 4.1-9 seconds is. I told my friend that i was gonna aim to get a 4.9 flat by next year and he told me that it was slow. He thought that college linemen run at an average of 4.6 seconds in the 40.
It really blew my mind when he said that, im pretty sure a back with decent cuts and vision could get a full ride to D1 with a 4.6 40.

electronically timed also helps you a bit because its on your start so you dont have to waste .01-.1 seconds in reaction time

dominate77
12-12-08, 8:20 pm
thanks. all the weights felt the same.. weird

lol yeah, people underestimate how fast 4.1-9 seconds is. I told my friend that i was gonna aim to get a 4.9 flat by next year and he told me that it was slow. He thought that college linemen run at an average of 4.6 seconds in the 40.
It really blew my mind when he said that, im pretty sure a back with decent cuts and vision could get a full ride to D1 with a 4.6 40.

electronically timed also helps you a bit because its on your start so you dont have to waste .01-.1 seconds in reaction time

exactly

hey dude if you read sports illustrated, check through the new one with Tim Tebow on the cover. On page 31 i think it is, in the faces in the crowd section they've got a running back we played against this year whos got a full ride to boise state. I got him behind the line 2 times in a row in the first quarter! lol i'm hoping he does really sick in college so whenever i see him on tv i can say that hahaha...i was fuckin so surprised when i saw him in there

dominate77
12-12-08, 8:28 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPvSoIIiPc heres a video i just found, he's got a pretty sick TD.

and holy crap heres a game we played against them...they pounded us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCsKxv0pf-8&feature=related

Joseb
12-15-08, 7:17 pm
bad day at wrestling practice. drilled with a bunch of scrubs,

Joseb
12-15-08, 10:01 pm
Monday Workout
Squats
285 5/5/5
i tipped over to the front when i was doing these today.. had to recover with my back, it was less of an olympic squat and more of a power squat
ehh.. iffy form imo

Stiff Leg Deadlifts - dont really like these.. gonna go lighter next time cause i dont feel em in my hams
225 5/5/5 over under
235 5/5/5 over under
235 5/5/5 double over
i forgot to do double over on the first two..

Foam rolling for 5 minutes [quick]
Tomorrow morning.. expect something to be posted. gonna post my morning workouts from now on.. if i dont post its cause i didnt do it. PLEASE, i beg you.. get on my ass if i miss a morning workout.
I need the motivation + ass kicking

actually i might just post the workout the previous night.. and post the numbers or confirmation of the workout in the morning. this should be interesting

Joseb
12-15-08, 10:49 pm
6-7 workouts per week

Agility 2
Explosion 2
Plyometrics 2
Speed 2
Endurance 6 [conditioning]

This week
Monday: Endurance [conditioning w/ sprints etc]
Tuesday: Explosion + Speed + endurance
Wednesday: Plyometrics + Agility + endurance
Thursday: Speed + Plyometrics + endurance
Friday: Explosion + Agility +endurance
Saturday: Rest OR endurance *
Sunday: Rest OR endurance*
*either sat or sun

Tuesday:
10 yard sprint starts for 50 yards x 5
30 yard sprints x 10
50 yard fly sprints x 5
circuit x 3
10 shots per leg
10 sprawls per leg
10 sit outs per side
40 yard sprint
--
5 laps [15 yardx2 = 1 lap] + after last lap sprint 100
--

dominate77
12-15-08, 11:01 pm
nice bro how long did doing that take you? it looks like a lot of shit. where you lifting at in the mornings?

Big3
12-16-08, 4:38 pm
Monday Workout
Squats
285 5/5/5
i tipped over to the front when i was doing these today.. had to recover with my back, it was less of an olympic squat and more of a power squat
ehh.. iffy form imo

Stiff Leg Deadlifts - dont really like these.. gonna go lighter next time cause i dont feel em in my hams
225 5/5/5 over under
235 5/5/5 over under
235 5/5/5 double over
i forgot to do double over on the first two..

Foam rolling for 5 minutes [quick]
Tomorrow morning.. expect something to be posted. gonna post my morning workouts from now on.. if i dont post its cause i didnt do it. PLEASE, i beg you.. get on my ass if i miss a morning workout.
I need the motivation + ass kicking

actually i might just post the workout the previous night.. and post the numbers or confirmation of the workout in the morning. this should be interesting

1) do SLDL's off a plyo or arobics box. Feel a better stretch.
2) If you don't feel motivated, try to find a few songs that really rev you up. For me, the first 30 seconds of Go Hard pump me up. So does Air Forces. I also really dig The Academy Is... and their new album. Just gotta find something that'll spark a fire down under.

Joseb
12-16-08, 6:55 pm
i listen to academy is sometimes.
didnt go today.. someone bite my ass off please.
idk, my alarm didnt wake me up and i was actually late to school today.
excuses excuses

AWESOMEish practice today. One of the seniors who came back is on LSU [didnt play this year as a freshman/ gonna play next year] and he was a beast at wrestling.
Also two other graduates came back, one is fucking huge and knows a shitload about training and nutrition and the other is obsessed with wrestling and thats all he does all year long.
PINNED a senior today, felt fucking great. Got fucked up alot by all the college kids, w.e if you get beat up alot i guess eventually you adapt and get better.
The kid that goes to LSU is on the college powerlifting team on the offseason and told me alot of shit that i already knew, but i felt like it hit home because someone was actually telling me and it wasnt just from an article.

i feel like im getting alot better, so excited about wrestling. [hard practice btw]

gonna hit up bench and triceps today

Joseb
12-16-08, 9:44 pm
Workout
Reverse Bench Presses
155x5
175x5
195x3 +2 more after dropping ten

Close Grip Bench Presses
165x5
175x5
185x5
[see i learned my lesson]

Skull Crushers
hadnt dont these in a while
did one set of 95 and tweaked my shoulders.. i decided to call it quits after that

i was really tired today, exhausted actually. gonna do some homework, catch another meal and get to bed
its snowing a decent amount.. i hope we don't have school. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!
idk whhat im doing tomorrow morning.. ill probably do what i missed today, cant do agility if the floors frozen.

Big3
12-17-08, 8:57 pm
Workout
Reverse Bench Presses
155x5
175x5
195x3 +2 more after dropping ten

Close Grip Bench Presses
165x5
175x5
185x5
[see i learned my lesson]

Skull Crushers
hadnt dont these in a while
did one set of 95 and tweaked my shoulders.. i decided to call it quits after that

i was really tired today, exhausted actually. gonna do some homework, catch another meal and get to bed
its snowing a decent amount.. i hope we don't have school. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!
idk whhat im doing tomorrow morning.. ill probably do what i missed today, cant do agility if the floors frozen.

My brother called me last night and ranted for 30 minutes straight about how it's been raining instead of snowing. I heard that MD has been getting pissed on recently with all the potential snow as rain...

dominate77
12-17-08, 9:07 pm
nice workout bro

it's fuckin dumping here, i hope they cancel school tomorrow here too, i know theres going to be accidents if they don't

Joseb
12-17-08, 10:10 pm
My brother called me last night and ranted for 30 minutes straight about how it's been raining instead of snowing. I heard that MD has been getting pissed on recently with all the potential snow as rain...

damn, i hate it when other places are getting snow and your place isnt. All our snow melted today, whatever.. i guess i dont mind either way now.

nice workout bro

it's fuckin dumping here, i hope they cancel school tomorrow here too, i know theres going to be accidents if they don't

thanks alot man. i woke up this morning expected to be buried in snow.. no such luck.
it hasnt been "dumping" here in a long time.. i really miss the heavy snowstorms
shoveling is pretty good cardio and its pretty fun to do.. maybe i could make some money.

dominate77
12-17-08, 10:16 pm
damn, i hate it when other places are getting snow and your place isnt. All our snow melted today, whatever.. i guess i dont mind either way now.

thanks alot man. i woke up this morning expected to be buried in snow.. no such luck.
it hasnt been "dumping" here in a long time.. i really miss the heavy snowstorms
shoveling is pretty good cardio and its pretty fun to do.. maybe i could make some money.

good idea man, thats what i did last year before i had a regular job. You can make some good money doing that shit.

Joseb
12-18-08, 6:32 pm
shitty practice.. got through about 1 1/2 hours and then according to my trainer "bruised my meniscus"
had to sit out for all the actual wrestling live and such.

im gonna go hit back today.. afterwards im gonna do something to get my exhaustion fix.
Back Workout
Good Mornings 3x5
Bentover BB Rows 3x5
No deads this week

conditioning stuff [?]
Start of with an easy tabata front squat with 95 pounds.
20 seconds for 8-12 reps - 10 second rest - repeat until 4 minutes elapses.
6 minute drill

barbell rows with 175 pounds [weight class im wrestling in.]x10
Dumbell lunges with 50 pounds per arm x10 per side
box jumps x 10
- go for 2 minutes for as many reps as possible. rest 30 seconds and repeat 2 more times.
OVERTIME = pickups. pick up workout buddy 1 on one shoulder at a time then pickup buddy 2 for both sides = 1 minute.

ITS ALL MENTAL!

Joseb
12-22-08, 9:35 pm
friday:
push press with bands
135x5
145x5
155x5

today:
shitty
265x1
feeling weak, i wonder why im stalling/regressing so often

Joseb
12-22-08, 11:14 pm
fuck that im not taking this week off.
i was in the shower pondering a bit.. i actually have a planned week of rest and recovery next week so im definitely not taking this week off.
gonna go down tomorrow morning to school and ask my wrestling coach to supervise while i get my squat workout in.. im gonna do a 5x3 or 3x3 because i think my body is getting sick of 3x5
5x3 sounds good to me.. but i might just do a 3x3 for tomorrow morning.
after my one week break.. im gonna do into some russian volume training. im pretty pumped right now.
im gonna do this weight tomorrow.. definitely
3x285
3x305
3x310
WORD
so pumped

dominate77
12-23-08, 1:34 am
fuck that im not taking this week off.
i was in the shower pondering a bit.. i actually have a planned week of rest and recovery next week so im definitely not taking this week off.
gonna go down tomorrow morning to school and ask my wrestling coach to supervise while i get my squat workout in.. im gonna do a 5x3 or 3x3 because i think my body is getting sick of 3x5
5x3 sounds good to me.. but i might just do a 3x3 for tomorrow morning.
after my one week break.. im gonna do into some russian volume training. im pretty pumped right now.
im gonna do this weight tomorrow.. definitely
3x285
3x305
3x310
WORD
so pumped

nice job joesb. I my self respond really well to russian volume. I don't know why but the way they deal with overload volume and percentages just totally ramps up my working weights really fast.

So how'd you like working with bands? i haven't gotten a chance yet.

Joseb
12-23-08, 10:29 pm
idk what i really respond better to.. for me its mostly about changing things up.. thats how i keep gaining
its just that russian volume is radically different from the 5x5 kinda stuff im doing now.. so i hope itll spur some change and gains.
The bands are hard.. even just the bar wasnt a walk in the park. but the 155 i did at the end was easier than the 135 i did with the bands.. its hard because you dont know exactly the weight the bands add, but i was watching all these westside guys workout with bands and i really wanted to try it.
your school probably has it, the bands i was using were for aerobics or something
Today
squat
285x1
285x2
295x3
305x0
yep im feeling weak. rushed the last one.. setting up is half the battle.

Later on:
Bench
205x3
215x3
225x1+2 forced
daMN DAMN DAMN! almost broke the milestone.
haha and i had some fun with my workout partners doing some dumbell presses
70x10
80x9 DAMN i couldnt get the last one
85x6 <-idk what happened here. shucks.

Tomorrow morning:
5 wakeup: eat some fucking tuna!
6 workout: deadlift!
8:home + eggs
9: get to school and get ready for practice
930: practice baby

then im free the rest of my day.. tight ass morning.. but superchill afternoon.
Tomorrow's deadlifts:
i hit 315 for 5 without much trouble.. it was quick and solid
so im gonna ATTEMPT to get 405 for 3. i know i know.. ridiculous, but i feel weirdly capable of doing it. so:
375x3 <- to get my nerves firing
395x3 <- this is just a bridge
405x3 <-Show me the money
grip it.. and rip it.

Joseb
12-24-08, 7:50 am
deadlifts:
sorry but no 405:[ i attempted a 375 and i knew it wasnt happening
so i dropped down to 3 plates and went from there
so here:
315x3
325x3
345x3

one armed barbell rows <-hard as hell
95x8 each arm
115x5 each arm

and now im home. gonna have my eggs in 30 mins or so and then head to practice

Joseb
12-26-08, 12:54 pm
i have my military press workout today.
I weighed in at 202 today, i started out 4 weeks ago at 206. I was at 202 last week and the week before.
i dunno whats happening but i'm not losing fat as i should be. i havent lost a pound in 2 weeks. gonna lower the calories by 500 and see what happens.
i know cardio isnt the problem because im working my ass off in practice and sprinting in the morning.
remember.. this isnt a bodybuilding cut, powerlifting cut, etc.. i need to make weight but i also need to get lean.
a bit frustrated.. but no problem.
ill add some low intensity cardio as well as some other hiit type stuff.
after i do my shoulders today ill do a bike tabata method for 2 sets [?]
and maybe shadow wrestle for 6 minutes + do ten 30 yarders later on in the night.
i still have about a week til my first match.. and ill ask coach to wrestle someone else depending on my weight.
im definitely not gonna be at 171 by next week or the week after. thats too much weight too fast and definitely not worth it. I can MAYBE hit 189 in two weeks, jv has a 2 pound allowance i think.. so 191.
maybe the loss will come in a spurt and ill wake up one morning to be 195 or something.
im gonna buy some calipers to test my bodyfat.. six dollars is the price on the internet, idk how good they are.
I think if all goes as planned, ill be 171 after half the season is down the drain.. whatever, its sophomore year. im just trying to learn as much as i can and improve my skillset. One thing i don't wanna do is be cutting after wrestling season is done.
maybe ill just set a certain bodyfat percentage as the goal.. 6% sounds good.
idk how much bodyfat i have now but thats what i'm aiming for. shouldnt've gained that much weight this football season.. sucks gonna stay under 10% from now on.
cut to -6% then bulk until i reach my target weight or 10% bodyfat.. whichever comes first. I am PROBABLY gonna be alot more strict starting next week in regards to my carb up. Maybe some oatmeal and fruit./ salad/ whatever.
171? maybe thats too low.. it would be great if my lean body mass was like 175 or something. then i'd be like 7% bodyfat at 189.
sweet
sweet..
rambling rambling rambling. this is what your journey's for right? rambling?
sweet ramblings?
peace.. gotta catch em all. or was it a meal.. forget which one

Joseb
01-01-09, 7:16 pm
JOELOV = SMOLOV RIPOFF = SO CRAZY IT JUST MIGHT WORK!
SETSxREPSxINTENSITY[weight]
Week 1
Monday:
Squat - 6x6x70%
Deadlift - 6x6x70%
Tuesday:
Bench Press - 6x6x70%
Push Press - 6x6x70%
Wednesday: REST
Thursday:
Squat - 7x5x75%
Deadlift - 7x5x75%
Friday:
Bench Press - 7x5x75%
Push Press - 7x5x75%
Saturday&Sunday: REST

Week 2
Monday:
Squat - 8x4x80%
Deadlift - 8x4x80%
Tuesday:
Bench - 8x4x80%
Push Press - 8x4x80%
Wednesday: rest
Thursday:
Squat - 10x3x85%
Deadlift - 10x3x85%
Friday:
Bench - 10x3x85%
Push Press - 10x3x85%
Saturday & Sunday: Rest

Week 3 and week 4 are the same as week 1/2 but you add 5 pounds to every lift on every workout

week 5 and 6 are the same as week 1/2 but you add 10 pounds instead of 5

week 7 and 8 and the same as well, but you add 15 pounds instead of 10.. or 5

i think its better to spread the workout over 2 weeks because i'm doing 4 lifts instead of one.
i managed to get away with doing 2 lifts in 1 week, over a period of 3 weeks.. and i got great results both times i did it.
This time the period is 8 weeks and im doing 4 lifts. because i spread it over 2 weeks,
there will be constant change in the weight i;m using = im never using the same weight twice. this ensures that my body is guessing
its like taking 2 steps forward and one step backwards. the 2 steps will give me progress, but the 1 step will give my body time to actually get stronger.

Joseb
01-01-09, 10:04 pm
FUCK FUCK FUCK!
my diet is fucked up
gotta fix this!
calories: 2708
ratios: 180.5g Fat/236.95g Protein/33.8g Carbs

Meal 1
4 whole eggs: 369.44 Kcal 28.16gFat/25.08gProtein
1tbsp EVOO: 121.5 kcal 13.5g fat

Meal 2
8oz Ground beef 75/25: 563kcal 37.25g fat/ 53.15gprotein
2oz Cheddar Cheese: 225.4 kcal 18.56gfat/ 13.94gprotein
2tbsp EVOO: 243kcal 27g fat

Meal 3
2 can tuna: 300kcal 65g protein
2oz cheddar cheese: 225.4 kcal 18.56g fat/ 13.94g protein

Meal 4
8oz Top Sirloin BEEF!: 552kcal 32.4 g fat/ 61.12g protein

Meal 5
2 tbsp Metamucil: 90kcal 24gcarbs

thats better.. a lil less than required.. but itll do the job
WOOT

REBORN1
01-01-09, 10:07 pm
im late but im in on this journey bro, good luck with everything

dominate77
01-01-09, 10:29 pm
looks like an interesting program but i'm not so sure it'll work as well as a smolov. The reason smolov works so well is because of the overload on the one lift, being squat and your doing it 4 times a week. Doing it only 2 times a week is a lot different cause you wont be overtraining as much as the basic program. I don't think you really need to do deadlifts, if you just do squat, that alone will jack your deadlift up by over 20-30 pounds indirectly because squat and deadlift work so many of the same muscles. i don't remember exact numbers but i remember my deadlift being way stronger after i first did smolov last year. But who knows this program could be great. give it a try, i had my doubts about smolov the first time i did it, but it jacked it up a good 50 pounds in 4 weeks. And i even kind of doubted it would be effective a third time when i started it again but i went from 355 to 405 in another 4 weeks.

Joseb
01-02-09, 9:08 am
im late but im in on this journey bro, good luck with everything

looks like an interesting program but i'm not so sure it'll work as well as a smolov. The reason smolov works so well is because of the overload on the one lift, being squat and your doing it 4 times a week. Doing it only 2 times a week is a lot different cause you wont be overtraining as much as the basic program. I don't think you really need to do deadlifts, if you just do squat, that alone will jack your deadlift up by over 20-30 pounds indirectly because squat and deadlift work so many of the same muscles. i don't remember exact numbers but i remember my deadlift being way stronger after i first did smolov last year. But who knows this program could be great. give it a try, i had my doubts about smolov the first time i did it, but it jacked it up a good 50 pounds in 4 weeks. And i even kind of doubted it would be effective a third time when i started it again but i went from 355 to 405 in another 4 weeks.

makes alot of sense what you're saying. im gonna try it out still, im mostly counting on the super gh release that doing squats and deadlifts on the same day to help me get stronger.
just be ready to tell me "told you so" after 8 weeks haha.

maybe my deads will fuel my squats and squats help my deads.
who knows.. also i think this puts alot more stress on your body than a regular smolov JR[idk about a real one.. its totally different]

and its good to have you reborn. i think you and dominate are the only two people who check out this journey.. hehe

Joseb
01-06-09, 5:51 pm
MOnday workout
setsxrepsxweight
Squat: 6x6x240
Deadlift: 6x6x255
it was light.. but not easy - real sore this morning.. havent done that many reps in a while.
72 reps in total.. whew :]

today will be posted laterrss

Joseb
01-06-09, 10:13 pm
tuesday:
bench 6x6x160
push press - 6x6x125

REBORN1
01-06-09, 10:29 pm
workouts look good bro, you doing any other exercises with these or just stickin to the two a day and hittin them hard?

dominate77
01-06-09, 10:54 pm
looking good bro, how those deadlifts feeling after squats?

Joseb
01-07-09, 9:23 am
workouts look good bro, you doing any other exercises with these or just stickin to the two a day and hittin them hard?

yep, sticking to these two lifts a day. no assistance as of now.. i figure that assistance work is more for advanced trainee's.. ive only been training for about a year im going with the most basic exercises i can think of.

looking good bro, how those deadlifts feeling after squats?

idk.. its strange. Because its pretty light.. they arent harder, and the bloods already kinda in your head because of the squats. It feels pretty weird. i got pretty lightheaded. ive also decided that im gonna post how i feel about each workout and stuff.. make it a little more interesting and put as much effort into the program as i can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
overall, im ridiculously sore.. pain everywhere. i havent done this much volume in a long time.. i might even see some hypertrophy :]
i find that even when i'm sore.. after im warmed up and the bloods flowing, the soreness disappears.

dominate77
01-07-09, 9:06 pm
yep i've noticed that too, espesially the first week of football practice during doubles...so sore after the first practice and than when your driving to practice in the evening your like fuck i wont even be able to move tonight and than it goes away when you get warmed up

Joseb
01-08-09, 10:33 pm
AW SHIT. MY BRAIN IS ACTING UP AGAIN
SQUATS?!: 7x5x260
one of the sets i could get only four.. i tipped over too much and had to drop the last one.
last set was horrible.. i did 2 reps and i had to dump it.
Overall my back was rounding like crazy and my form was shitty. someone help meeeee :[
DEADLIFTS: 7x5x275
easy? idk but it was fun and i felt really good after. Still, my lower back was hurting from all the rounding i was doing in the squats. I almost didnt do these because i was feeling so depressed from the squats. Man, i was so sad, I felt like going over to the leg extension machine and repping 25 pounds.. :[
BUT my buddies saved me.. helped me get through the tough times and into the deadlifts.

BY THE WAY! CHALK IS REALLY FUN!

dominate77
01-09-09, 10:01 am
hmmm...it could have just been a bad day bro...if you feel your next session is as bad as this one, maybe you should drop deads from the program and concentrate on just getting a really good squat each time

REBORN1
01-12-09, 11:13 pm
maybe try some good mornings or back extensions just to help strengthen up your back, also more core strength will help you support your body during the squats and deads

Joseb
01-13-09, 6:49 pm
OkAY OKAY!
solid session yesterday

squats: 8x4x275
i wouldnt say they were easy.. but definitely i was able to do all of them. NICE!
deadlifts: 8x4x295
good. solid. but the ground wasn't level so i was pulling a lower bar. it made it a little bit harder but no worries.

TOOK DOWN A CAPTAIN TODAY IN WRESTLING. WOOT
i took him down and then he got away from me. i attempted a quick shot but he crossfaced the SHIT outta me. my tooth [root canal one] feels like its gonna fall out.
he spun around and got 2.
then coach blew the whistle and we had to start running. him: 3 me:2 so i didnt win.. but im still happy with me progress.
this guy is probably the best wrestler on the team imo.
================================================== ==================
OTHER NEWS. im gonna get me a dog.. in 4 years.
i wanna go to a rescue and pick up 1 or 2. ive heard it can cost up to 200 dollar but they vaccinate and spay/neuter them for you. so if i decide not to neuter them, then the price goes down to like maybe 60-100.
THE BREEDS I WANNA GET ARE::
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
AMERICAN BULL TERRIER
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER

maybe one day ill be able to pick up all three but for now, ill just choose the one i can find at a shelter. i wanna get a pup so it can get to now my cat and grow up with it/ be friends

ALL THESE DOGS ARE AWESOME

dominate77
01-13-09, 7:30 pm
glad your getting better joseb. My buddy was a dick when he wrestled...he always cross faced the shit out of people too and you kind of felt bad for the kid from the other school cause they just got their shit rocked when they tried to do something about it.

Joseb
01-15-09, 7:43 am
Bench
8x4x185
i didnt feel the weight on my arms/chest/tris w.e. i tensed my whole body up and accelerated the reps. its weird as hell

Push Press
8x4x140
i feel that just pressing the weight is easier. idk why i think this.
felt purty good
=============
Okay, since dominate pumped me up so much, im gonna talk about rivalries.
see, im a jealous bastard. if i see someone doing more weight that i, which is pretty often, i get pissed off. I can't get the fact that people are stronger then me outta my head.. it bothers me.
honestly, if i trained with any of the guys on this forvm, then i'd probably shit my pants on account of how pissed i'd get.
i cant think of anything more to say.. i hate, not being the strongest.
well, better get used to it :/
maybe.. one day..
nah...
maybe..

dominate77
01-15-09, 10:42 am
get ready to deadlift your ass off tonight bro.

I too hate seeing someone stronger than me but it would get boring if no one was

Joseb
01-15-09, 6:21 pm
hell yeah

dominate77
01-15-09, 11:45 pm
so how'd it go? did you make it rain?

Joseb
01-16-09, 12:01 am
deadlifts were okay.
lol i had alot of motivation but the squats wouldnt work. i recalculated my averaged with 315 as my max instead of 345. It came out to me doing 270.. 5 pounds less than monday
i couldnt even do one. i think this program is weird and also, the squats AND deads are killing me. i might be overtraining soon if i dont watch out.

gonna go with the regular smolov jr now
gonna do two lifts.. one upper body and one lower body.
squats and bench. classic

today:
squats: null
deadlifts: 10x3x310
actually felt weak on the deadlifts. my lower back was kinda bothering me.
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{{}{}{}{}{
SO ANTICLIMACTIC!!!!
CNS = deep fried [?] hope not
I WANNA BE STRONG :[

dominate77
01-16-09, 12:52 am
if you're going to start a different program, i would probably give yourself a week or two off from heavy lifting and maybe just no lifting at all so you can recover.

Joseb
01-19-09, 5:49 pm
FUCK FUCK FUCK!
my diet is fucked up
gotta fix this!
calories: 2708
ratios: 180.5g Fat/236.95g Protein/33.8g Carbs

Meal 1
4 whole eggs: 369.44 Kcal 28.16gFat/25.08gProtein
1tbsp EVOO: 121.5 kcal 13.5g fat

Meal 2
8oz Ground beef 75/25: 563kcal 37.25g fat/ 53.15gprotein
2oz Cheddar Cheese: 225.4 kcal 18.56gfat/ 13.94gprotein
2tbsp EVOO: 243kcal 27g fat

Meal 3
2 can tuna: 300kcal 65g protein
2oz cheddar cheese: 225.4 kcal 18.56g fat/ 13.94g protein

Meal 4
8oz Top Sirloin BEEF!: 552kcal 32.4 g fat/ 61.12g protein

Meal 5
2 tbsp Metamucil: 90kcal 24gcarbs

thats better.. a lil less than required.. but itll do the job
WOOT

Calories: 2208

Joseb
01-20-09, 10:01 pm
i am a-doing some PMT training
progressive movement training training.
look it up if ya dont know. i gotta sturdy some math for tomorrow
110% of 1RM
Squat: 2x6x345 - 3-4 inches from lockout [easier than expected]
Bench: 2x6x255 - 2-3 inches from lockout [hard on the elbow?]
Barbell rows: full - 1x10x135 1x15x135

dominate77
01-20-09, 10:25 pm
wow man, how'd you manage that?

Joseb
01-21-09, 10:50 pm
its pmt.
very short rom with 110% of your 1rm.
you should definitely try it one time.
theres a great article on it: check it out
http://www.t-nation.com/portal_includes/articles/2008/08-153-training.html

basically you increase your rom week by week until you're doing the full rom.
its so simple that it seems crazy. but i have 6 weeks and this sounded good on paper.

BY THE WAY:
i wanna total raw elite in the 220 weight class. im not sure about the time period.. but i know i want to do it.
the total is bench+squat+deadlift: 1551 lbs
455 bench
535 squat
565 deadlift

seems like a lofty goal. maybe i'm just rash.. but i'd like to try and get these by the time i leave highschool.
aim high right?
ALSO: im fixing my diet as we speak.

dominate77
01-21-09, 11:39 pm
its pmt.

its so simple that it seems crazy. but i have 6 weeks and this sounded good on paper.

BY THE WAY:
i wanna total raw elite in the 220 weight class. im not sure about the time period.. but i know i want to do it.
455 bench
535 squat
565 deadlift

seems like a lofty goal. maybe i'm just rash.. but i'd like to try and get these by the time i leave highschool.
aim high right?
sounds interesting

455 bench, 535 squat, 565 deadlift. Those are some FUCKIN huge numbers bro, and to be honest i'm not sure if thats attainable in high school without dipping into the chemically enhanced side. But than again, what the fuck do i know? gotta bust your ass fuckin hard. My buddy put up 505 squat and 350 bench before he graduated with only being on the legal pro hormones, but he was extremely genetically gifted. Give it a try though

Joseb
01-22-09, 6:21 pm
lol i was in a funny mood last night.. i felt invincible.
i'm kinda having second thoughts about being able to get it.. but im gonna go for it

im the kinda guy who thinks he can do anything.. who knows man

i met a guy who says he put up 500 on the bench in sophmore year.. that just pisses me off and thats kinda why i posted it up.
fucking 500 sophmore year?
man i cant even squat CLOSE to that.
you never actually know how much you can do until you try.

you dont have to think i can do it bro..
but stick around.. who knows, shit sometimes just clicks

Big3
01-22-09, 6:36 pm
its pmt.

BY THE WAY:
455 bench
535 squat
565 deadlift

aim high right?

That's a tall order. May not get there, but hey, it's worth a try.

lol i was in a funny mood last night.. i felt invincible.
i'm kinda having second thoughts about being able to get it.. but im gonna go for it

im the kinda guy who thinks he can do anything.. who knows man

i met a guy who says he put up 500 on the bench in sophmore year.. that just pisses me off and thats kinda why i posted it up.
fucking 500 sophmore year?
man i cant even squat CLOSE to that.
you never actually know how much you can do until you try.

you dont have to think i can do it bro..
but stick around.. who knows, shit sometimes just clicks

Even with God genetics and work ethic second to none, this kid is either juiced to the gills or bullshitting more than a 3000lb bull.

I've noticed that you've been switching workout programs and diets every week or so. You're still young. There's no need to be going overboard with complicated programs like Smolov or the PMT you're doing. There's no need for rapid weight loss diets. Just consistency. Stick to the basics. My brothers and I were doing squats, deads, bench, militaries, and rows for years and we still do. Just stick to the basics and compare yourself to yourself.

A lot of the people who left their mark in this world paid a dear price. They were truly willing to die for what they believed in. Even if you don't reach elite at your bodyweight, at least you know you did everything in your power to get to as far as you did.

I didn't want to make this into an essay, but I felt that some things should be said.

dominate77
01-22-09, 9:15 pm
500 as a sophomore? i'm calling bullshit on that too. Most people are all talk when it comes to bench, so if you haven't seen them do it, and it sounds completely unbelievable, it probably is. This kid told me his friend is benching in the upper 300's and i was like "yeah sure he is." i saw them at the gym a few days before and they looked close to maxing out in the lower 200's so, either their math is way the fuck off or they're full of shit! probably a mixture of both.

Joseb
01-23-09, 10:44 pm
That's a tall order. May not get there, but hey, it's worth a try.

Even with God genetics and work ethic second to none, this kid is either juiced to the gills or bullshitting more than a 3000lb bull.

I've noticed that you've been switching workout programs and diets every week or so. You're still young. There's no need to be going overboard with complicated programs like Smolov or the PMT you're doing. There's no need for rapid weight loss diets. Just consistency. Stick to the basics. My brothers and I were doing squats, deads, bench, militaries, and rows for years and we still do. Just stick to the basics and compare yourself to yourself.

A lot of the people who left their mark in this world paid a dear price. They were truly willing to die for what they believed in. Even if you don't reach elite at your bodyweight, at least you know you did everything in your power to get to as far as you did.

I didn't want to make this into an essay, but I felt that some things should be said.

thanks for the comment brother.
i was doing smolov jr for 2 weeks, but i had tinkered with it so it was fucked up.
i switched to pmt just to give my body a change from the volume and because it is only a six week long program. (6 weeks and then a week rest is the plan)
I havent changed my overall diet philosophy since the end of november. I just change foods until i reach the calories i need. Its not rapid weightloss either, i'm losing 1.5 pounds a week, imo thats a pretty steady pace. I just drop the calories a bit whenever i stop losing weight. [planning to stick with this diet philosophy for good]
maybe i'm just gullible. seriously, i never doubt anyone's claims.. in my eyes, if theres even a remote possibility that its true.. than i really want to beat what he/she did.
i think your brother had a higher total than that.. unless my memory is messed up.

another thing, i dont believe in going into the gym and doing "instinctive training" anymore.
i'm trying to have a purpose and plan every time i walk into a gym. i get the compound movement training you're talking about, i believe its the simplest, effective way of training.
But i'm trying to find a definitely path through programs that stick the movements you mentioned into a template.

500 as a sophomore? i'm calling bullshit on that too. Most people are all talk when it comes to bench, so if you haven't seen them do it, and it sounds completely unbelievable, it probably is. This kid told me his friend is benching in the upper 300's and i was like "yeah sure he is." i saw them at the gym a few days before and they looked close to maxing out in the lower 200's so, either their math is way the fuck off or they're full of shit! probably a mixture of both.

i mean, i know what you mean. but i feel like if i say that, then i'm just jealous of their ability. ya know?
its the same thing when people say that geared lifts arent legit or that it was only possible because the person was on roids.
The people who say this usually couldnt get as much weight geared AND on roids as the people they're talking about. imho of course.
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
ill probably thank you guys for this advice one day
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
PMT workout: 1/23/09
Squat: 2x6x345 - 3-4 inches from lockout i held each rep at the top just to get used to the weight.
Bench: 2x6x255 - 2-3 inches from lockout no elbow pain. i held each rep at the top just to get used to the pressure
i balanced on a foam roller for 3 sets of 30 seconds.
idk what it did for me.. but it was fun.

REBORN1
01-23-09, 11:03 pm
fuck that bro we set goals for a reason...it may take a long time but youll get there eventually just always keep your eyes on the prize

Big3
01-23-09, 11:28 pm
thanks for the comment brother.
i was doing smolov jr for 2 weeks, but i had tinkered with it so it was fucked up.
i switched to pmt just to give my body a change from the volume and because it is only a six week long program. (6 weeks and then a week rest is the plan)
I havent changed my overall diet philosophy since the end of november. I just change foods until i reach the calories i need. Its not rapid weightloss either, i'm losing 1.5 pounds a week, imo thats a pretty steady pace. I just drop the calories a bit whenever i stop losing weight. [planning to stick with this diet philosophy for good]
maybe i'm just gullible. seriously, i never doubt anyone's claims.. in my eyes, if theres even a remote possibility that its true.. than i really want to beat what he/she did.
i think your brother had a higher total than that.. unless my memory is messed up.

another thing, i dont believe in going into the gym and doing "instinctive training" anymore.
i'm trying to have a purpose and plan every time i walk into a gym. i get the compound movement training you're talking about, i believe its the simplest, effective way of training.
But i'm trying to find a definitely path through programs that stick the movements you mentioned into a template.

i mean, i know what you mean. but i feel like if i say that, then i'm just jealous of their ability. ya know?
its the same thing when people say that geared lifts arent legit or that it was only possible because the person was on roids.
The people who say this usually couldnt get as much weight geared AND on roids as the people they're talking about. imho of course.
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
ill probably thank you guys for this advice one day
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
PMT workout: 1/23/09
Squat: 2x6x345 - 3-4 inches from lockout i held each rep at the top just to get used to the weight.
Bench: 2x6x255 - 2-3 inches from lockout no elbow pain. i held each rep at the top just to get used to the pressure
i balanced on a foam roller for 3 sets of 30 seconds.
idk what it did for me.. but it was fun.

I just remember reading about your velocity diet somewhere here... a lot of people over @ bb.com fuck with these diets without having any experience... so..yeah. My brother benched ~400lbs, but he did this @ 220lbs, plus he's been training for a very long time. I just don't think 500lbs is attainable as a sophomore. 400 is definetely possible, but 500 is a whole new animal. I think that instinctive training comes with experience, so it may take you a while longer to adapt to that mindset, which is fine.

Just remember to compare yourself to yourself and no one else. Use other people's success as fuel for your fire. Be happy for them, but don't settle for second place. What people think of you 100 years from now is not as important as what you think of yourself at this moment. Just work hard and go after what is yours!

Joseb
01-26-09, 10:24 pm
ive been counting calories/making meal plans for only 3 years. but sometimes that can seem like a long time, and i sometimes jump into diet programs without considering other factors.
for example: velocity diet.. i didnt consider that i had football practice. velocity diet recommended LIGHT cardio. didnt work out.
keto worked out pretty well for me.. i'm doing a highfat type diet right now, its awesome.
------------ -------------- --------------- --------------- ------------- --------------
anyways.
Progressive Movement Training
Squat: 2x5x345 about 3 inches lower from last week
Bench: 2x5x255 about 1 1/2 - 2 inches lower than last week.
comments? it was alright.. i feel like i can do alot more reps.. but i remember hearing that its really easy to overtrain in the rack without knowing it. so im sticking to the provided rep scheme.

dominate77
01-26-09, 11:06 pm
sounds good, curious to see how this program works out