PDA

View Full Version : Lean and Mean?

CMChristich
10-20-08, 7:47 am
Is it possible to continue to gain muscle weight, while shedding bodyfat? What is the optimum bodyfat% to keep during the off season? I'd like to stay rather cut year around. I just started do cardio on the olyptical, and I planned on doing that every day for 45 mins after my workout. I'm also using Animal Cuts, to help me shed unnecesary fat. Any tips?

MojoMike36
10-20-08, 6:48 pm
I'm sitting here at the front desk @ the gym "working" right now so I'll give you an indepth answer.

Proper diet is more critical than any supplement you put in your body bro.

Its totally possible to trim down and gain mass however you're going to get less of both.
Whats your split like?
45 minutes of cardio may be over kill.

Something to think about:
When I'm cutting (which I am presently) or trying to stay at a BF% I swear by doing 15 minutes of light cardio before breakfast. It does a metabolism wonders. I've read in multiple books as well as heard from many big guys that the morning walk will help give you a mild boost in your Hgh production. From personal experience I have to say its true. Give it a shot, you will really notice a difference.

My best shot at a diet that would yield gains and slim ya down would be a high protein, properly time low carb diet.

PrimaI
10-22-08, 4:40 pm
I think you need to decide whether to cut or bulk then organise and rethink your routine from there. You could also try a 4-6 bulk then a 2-3 week to stay lean when gaining, that's probably closest you're going to get mate.

V Man
10-22-08, 5:55 pm
Primal has got it spot on....

Its tough, because to gain muscle - You need a calorific surplus, and to shred fat, you need a calorific deficit. If you have a surplus of calories, you physically cant loose fat and vice versa - if you have a deficit of calories, you cant gain muscle.

Yes - you can burn calories by working out and doing cardio - but that is just the same as not eating them in a gain/loss sense.

That is why bbers have gain phases and cut phases. If there was a method to be jacked and muscular yet super lean all year, and you find out what it is - then can you let me know about it?! cos you could make yourself a fortune, and if your looking for a business partner, Im in! :)

Anyway - I think your wanting to keep your lean physique by the sounds of your post - so I suggest you should work towards that goal at this time in your life. You dont need any advice on how to be lean, mean and vascular - im sure you know what to do.

Peace

On Letting Go
10-23-08, 7:18 am
I think you need to decide whether to cut or bulk then organise and rethink your routine from there. You could also try a 4-6 bulk then a 2-3 week to stay lean when gaining, that's probably closest you're going to get mate.

I agree. I plan on doing small cuts between between mass cycles to drop my b/f back down around 10%, to minimize fat gain. I have a easy time getting down to 9-10% b/f.

Big Wides
10-23-08, 10:13 am
Is it possible to continue to gain muscle weight, while shedding bodyfat? What is the optimum bodyfat% to keep during the off season? I'd like to stay rather cut year around. I just started do cardio on the olyptical, and I planned on doing that every day for 45 mins after my workout. I'm also using Animal Cuts, to help me shed unnecesary fat. Any tips?

If you are going to do cardio and put mass on limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. Do it on a treadmil at an incline at low to medium intensity. As far as unnecesary fat, sorry bro but if your eating in a manner to add size to your frame, some fat gain will happen. No worries it will come off when you slim down. To gain size you have to take in a good amount of protein, carbs, and fats. Carbs are your friend with adding size as well as protein, but get your 6 meals in thats a must. Start out with say 500 more calories than what you have been and add to that amount each week or two weeks. Pick foods that are dense, red meat is good here along with fish, polutry, and pork.

Just remember to eat hearty, train your nuts off and the size will come

Aggression
10-28-08, 10:38 am
If you are going to do cardio and put mass on limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. Do it on a treadmil at an incline at low to medium intensity. As far as unnecesary fat, sorry bro but if your eating in a manner to add size to your frame, some fat gain will happen. No worries it will come off when you slim down. To gain size you have to take in a good amount of protein, carbs, and fats. Carbs are your friend with adding size as well as protein, but get your 6 meals in thats a must. Start out with say 500 more calories than what you have been and add to that amount each week or two weeks. Pick foods that are dense, red meat is good here along with fish, polutry, and pork.

Just remember to eat hearty, train your nuts off and the size will come

Agreed. Your best bet would be to keep your bulk diet clean and do some cardio. Cheat very infrequently, hit the cardio 3-4 days a week, and eat a ton of whole clean foods.