PDA

View Full Version : front squat?

killz
10-20-08, 7:45 pm
First I'm am the weakest squater ever, I'm not new to BBin well to squates I'm kind of new. I have been lifting since 16 kind of cause all I did was bench. Shit I was benchin 250 before I could finish a set of ten reps on an eazy curl bar with 25s on the end. Now I have picked up squates and am hella weak I can only do like 205 for maybe like 2 full sets of 10. And that's a hell of an inprovment. Now back to topick I can only do like 135 for like 10 reps on front squate cause my shoulders can't take more weight on them, shit that's the weight I put on when I do shoulder press. How do I unprove this?

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-20-08, 8:06 pm
The most i can say bro is improve ur core strength. If you can handle the weight resting on your front delts that's good, but if your core isnt strong then keeping proper form in the lift will be tough. Also front squat puts the majority of the work on your quads, so strngethen those up too

killz
10-20-08, 8:14 pm
Well its that my delts hurt with the weight kind of weak i know. I know if I had less pain I could do more

Chin
10-20-08, 8:18 pm
Well its that my delts hurt with the weight kind of weak i know. I know if I had less pain I could do more

Put a pad on the bar... or a towel... Or you could do what I do and just wear a hoodie and use straps...

Chin

jeff00z28
10-20-08, 8:48 pm
front squat > *. not only do tehy hit the quads better but they are much more of a brute exercise and a better test of strength than squats imo.

never_2_big
10-20-08, 10:46 pm
if the bar is sitting in the right spot it shouldnt really hurt that much... theres a nice groove between your delt and clavicle where the bar sits just right. my advice would be to perfect your technique, and not just til its ok, get it right from the get go. Then once youre in the groove add weight slowly. youll get used to the pain, and if youre lucky it might go away. once you start goin heavy youll have bigger things to worry about like the bar crushing your throat and preventing easy breathing...

watch some olympic lifting vids, they are some of the best front squatters around.

sanga
10-21-08, 5:57 am
Put a pad on the bar... or a towel... Or you could do what I do and just wear a hoodie and use straps...

Chin

Use straps Chin, how you using them?

MightyMouse666
10-21-08, 4:34 pm
Use straps Chin, how you using them?

Loop the straps around the bar (instead of around your wrists), and hold the ends of the straps.

PrimaI
10-21-08, 5:01 pm
I found that doing the 'plank' with a 20kg plate on my back really helped my front squat, strengthened my core a lot. The pain from resting the bar goes after a while if you endure.

SeP
10-22-08, 4:04 am
dont HAVE to rest the bar on your delts you can hold it up as if you had just finished a clean and front squat with your palms facing away from you just holding the bar up.

born0withno0soul
10-22-08, 4:06 am
for front squats use the smith machine. i dont recommend this for regular squats. front squats are not a power move anyways. so use the smith so you dont have to focus on balancing the weight on your shoulders, and just concentrate on the quad burn you will receive.

jeff00z28
10-23-08, 2:36 am
for front squats use the smith machine. i dont recommend this for regular squats. front squats are not a power move anyways. so use the smith so you dont have to focus on balancing the weight on your shoulders, and just concentrate on the quad burn you will receive.

i disagree. front squat are used a lot for strongman. maybe not for powerlifters who only care about 3 lifts

Vinny G
10-23-08, 9:40 am
personaly the front does more for me than back squats.

shizz702
10-23-08, 10:27 am
The front squat is a great exercise and will pay great dividends over time. It takes time to get used to the bar position and will naturally be uncomfortable at first. But after a while you will develop a natural "pad" over your upper chest and delts. Stick with it, and the back squat, you aren't going to get crazy strong on them over night, buy pay your dues on them and and several months from now you'll see they are worth your while.

sanga
10-23-08, 10:32 am
That strap idea is good, I`ll try tonight, I do my front squats on the smith after back squats and hacks.

Chin
10-23-08, 2:27 pm
Loop the straps around the bar (instead of around your wrists), and hold the ends of the straps.

Exactly... a powerlifter actually showed me this... Strap the straps? lol... to the bar like you would to your wrists... set up under bar... and wrap the straps around the inside or palm of your hands... Takes a little bit of strain off the delts by distributing the weight more evenly over the clavicals...

personaly the front does more for me than back squats.

I find it takes my lower back and hams out of the equation... Makes for a better contraction for me... the same for you?

That strap idea is good, I`ll try tonight, I do my front squats on the smith after back squats and hacks.

Yeah sanga try it... it takes a lot of the stress of the front delt... it would be better on the smith... because when I do it free weight, on the lighter sets... I've actually dropped the weight because I was pulling on the straps too hard and it came off my delt when I exploded up...

Chin

js71474
10-23-08, 2:47 pm
Drop your weight back a little, perfect your form, keep squatting (back and front) and in no time the weight will come up and you will be doing fronts easily and with minimal discomfort.....but KEEP ON SQUATTING!!! It will take time but keep doing them.