PDA

View Full Version : Back arching while benching

OverDose
10-20-08, 9:36 pm
Recently, I've tried to arch my back and keep my body much more tighter when I bench press, I normally just used to keep my back on the bench and my legs at a 90 degree angle, but now i arch my back and my legs are maybe at about 70 degrees, the arching helps me move some more weight as it seems, but I've heard that it can be back for your lower back, what do you guys think?

shizz702
10-20-08, 10:06 pm
Recently, I've tried to arch my back and keep my body much more tighter when I bench press, I normally just used to keep my back on the bench and my legs at a 90 degree angle, but now i arch my back and my legs are maybe at about 70 degrees, the arching helps me move some more weight as it seems, but I've heard that it can be back for your lower back, what do you guys think?

The only way it could be bad for your lower back is if you overexaggerate the arch, but it is actually good form to squeeze your shoulder blades together and keep your torso tight. Just don't hyperextend your lower back and overexaggerate the arch and you'll be fine.

Cstlfx
10-20-08, 10:38 pm
Thats a powerlifting style. Being arched allows you to push with your legs, giving your bench more of a push. Similar to pushing when doing a standing military press.

Keep your shoulders and butt on the bench, lifting your butt off the bench can definitely lead to injury. Other than that, not sure what other pointers to give you. You can ask over in the powerlifter's section. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys over there.

Carpe Diem P.T
10-20-08, 11:34 pm
I have recently taken this up.

most important thing to do is BRACE YOUR CORE.

it should be done for every exercise but a lot of people dont and that leads to injury. if you brace your core, it takes a lot of the load off lower back. can you afford not to do that?

Camdog
10-21-08, 12:37 am
arching your back isnt a bad thing, pinch those shoulder blades together and arch your back but make sure your ass stays on the bench

BryanSmash!
10-21-08, 2:03 am
The arch in your back decreases the range of motion on your press. The less distance the bar has to travel the more weight you can use. I wouldn't worry about your back. I've seen some benchers develop a bridge over the years that you can put a soda can under, and still have no back pain.

Carpe Diem P.T
10-21-08, 2:43 am
The arch in your back decreases the range of motion on your press. The less distance the bar has to travel the more weight you can use. I wouldn't worry about your back. I've seen some benchers develop a bridge over the years that you can put a soda can under, and still have no back pain.

i dont see the logic there. i could arch my back doing a shoulder press and it wouldnt decrease the range of motion.

isnt the range of motion decreased by bringing the scapulas together and keeping them their through out the actvity?

not having a go at you either bryansmash. just talking it through mate.

Themostocles
10-21-08, 2:45 am
i dont see the logic there. i could arch my back doing a shoulder press and it wouldnt decrease the range of motion.

isnt the range of motion decreased by bringing the scapulas together and keeping them their through out the actvity?

It decreases the ROM because the arch push the front of your body up as well, meaning you have to move the bar down less distance. -T.

Brick By Brick
10-21-08, 2:48 am
I've been using the arched bench method for the past 10 months and have had no lower back problems. Make sure you're doing your weighted ab and lower back work, and you should be fine.

mark
10-21-08, 4:26 am
Make sure you squeeze your glutes hard throughout the lift. This will help ensure pressure on the back is minimalized.

Keep your abs tight too to help stabilize everything.

BryanSmash!
10-21-08, 11:47 am
It decreases the ROM because the arch push the front of your body up as well, meaning you have to move the bar down less distance. -T.

No worries Carpe.

prowrestler
10-21-08, 11:55 am
Make sure you squeeze your glutes hard throughout the lift. This will help ensure pressure on the back is minimalized.

Keep your abs tight too to help stabilize everything.

x2

prowrestler
10-21-08, 11:57 am

it different, cause of the angle of the press

pictuer this, if yo arch in a military press, you simply lean back but still lower it the same distance, its just invloving the upper pecs too now

when you arch in a bench press, you make your torso closer to the barbell when you press which chops down a few inches from your stroke

zanderfever
10-21-08, 4:37 pm
Well, heres a question. What're your goals? Powerlifter or bodybuilder? Strength or size? If your going for strength then by all means arch your back as much as you can, but if your gonig for size you should keep your back flat for a greater range of motion.

Cstlfx
10-22-08, 1:01 am

From what I've seen, powerlifters bring the bar down to the bottom of their sternum. When your chest is sticking up in the air, the bottom of the sternum is the highest spot when arched.

When You arch your back doing shoulder press, its not the same thing. That will activate different muscles.

However, this is just to push the most weight. It wont build the chest's form as well as say the bodybuilding style of bench press.

Carpe Diem P.T
10-22-08, 3:44 am
From what I've seen, powerlifters bring the bar down to the bottom of their sternum. When your chest is sticking up in the air, the bottom of the sternum is the highest spot when arched.

When You arch your back doing shoulder press, its not the same thing. That will activate different muscles.

However, this is just to push the most weight. It wont build the chest's form as well as say the bodybuilding style of bench press.

good explanation as usual cstlfx.

zanderfever
10-22-08, 5:09 pm

Correct. Some powerlifters who have incredible arches even bring it down lower, to the top of the rib cage that is poking out the highest. Those guys have arches that leave room for a leg to go through.

MojoMike36
10-22-08, 6:44 pm
I've been told and I do believe that arching your back is fine.

I've also been told that you might as well be doing decline bench when you start to arch your back to an extent. Reason being you're tilting your chest allowing for an angle that allows you to utilize your lower pecs and anterior delts MUCH MUCH more.

I just think if you're gonna attack your mid chest you'd be better off isolating your mid chest more rather than taking some of the burden off it. The slight natural arch that you get when your lats are flexed is all a guy needs.

It makes the press easier on my shoulders when I exaggerate my arch. I get no push from my mid + upper chest on flat bench if I arch much at all. Thats just how I'm put together.

Just my 2cents.

GJN5002
10-23-08, 12:02 am
depends on your goals, if you wanna push a lot of weigth powerlifter style benching is nice. I started doing this style about a year ago. BB style with elbows flared hurt my shoulders so i keep em tucked now. Arch is a good thing as long as you keep that ass on the bench, when you pull the ass up youll get into trouble. feet under you push from core lats tight and push onto your traps if that makes sense. it will take some getting used too. one of the powerlifters can explain this much better.

hardhit71
10-23-08, 12:16 am
This was the best technique i ever learned. i've been using the arch for about two years and it hasn't failed me yet. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.