PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with a routine for football.

dlutz74
10-21-08, 7:52 pm
Hey i am new here. I have been lifting for about a year now. Didnt really have a routine, just did whatever i felt like doing. Now i want to get serious. Im 15, soon to be 16 in a few weeks. I am 6 foot, weigh 217ish. I have access to a weight room everyday of the week but can only do cleans and other lifts the require bumper plates Mon, Wed, Fri at my school. The other two days i lift at the local YMCA. My goals are to get bigger, faster, and stronger. I am willing to do anything to get that. No roids though haha. Can someone or someones help me to put together a good routine? Thanks

Cstlfx
10-21-08, 7:59 pm
Have you ever tried the "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" program? If you ask your coach about it, he may know more. I did it back in high school and it helped me a lot during football season.

I cant seem to get any of the program online, but its specifically built for high school athletes. It worked for all of our linemen back when we did it. If your school doesnt have it, talk to your coach, maybe he can get something going for your team.

dlutz74
10-21-08, 8:05 pm
well accually that is the program he has for us. But we are in season and we dont get that program until mid to late december. I dont want to wait that long. I would just do that but i dont have any idea of the lifts and reps and sets he had us doing.

shizz702
10-21-08, 8:17 pm
This would be perfect for you, it was designed for football players:http://stronglifts.com/bill-starrs-strength-training-program-the-big-three/

Littlefry
10-21-08, 8:56 pm
dammit you beat me to it shizz

shizz702
10-21-08, 9:02 pm
dammit you beat me to it shizz

lol

yea you know just as well as I do fry that is the probably the best football strength training program there is.

Young&Hungry
10-21-08, 9:16 pm
5 x 5 would be your best start. After a good year or two on that, do Wendler's 5/3/1 for the rest of high school. Yes, I'm being serious and NO you do not need to "change it up". Mindnumbingly simple programs like these based on the big three and block periodization are the absolute best thing you can do to build a solid base at our age. Do your research brotha.

shizz702
10-21-08, 9:19 pm
5 x 5 would be your best start. After a good year or two on that, do Wendler's 5/3/1 for the rest of high school. Yes, I'm being serious and NO you do not need to "change it up". Mindnumbingly simple programs like these based on the big three and block periodization are the absolute best thing you can do to build a solid base at our age. Do your research brotha.

well said bro, too many people neglect the effectiveness of programs like that due to their simplicity. Sometimes it is the simplest, most basic of programs that produce the best results.

Mr.Hardcore98
10-21-08, 9:23 pm
you can always ask your coach to give you the routine inhead of time so you can get an early start im sure he will not care if you do

Cstlfx
10-21-08, 11:23 pm
well accually that is the program he has for us. But we are in season and we dont get that program until mid to late december. I dont want to wait that long. I would just do that but i dont have any idea of the lifts and reps and sets he had us doing.

Try to ask him for it ahead of time. If not, from what I can remember, it had lifts like cleans, Stiff Legged Dead Lifts, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Bench Press with a foam roll (so you dont go all the way down to your chest), Full Squat, and Bench Squat. The rep scheme I cant remember, cause they were different each week. Some were high volume, others high intensity.

SeP
10-22-08, 4:03 am
5x5 is a lifting program that I think almost all football teams preach. It really is a GREAT program especially if you tweak it for your liking. Just be sure to have cleans, deadlift, squat, bench, and push press/jerk and you are set no matter what you do with it!

REBORN1
10-26-08, 11:14 pm
look up westside training by joe defranco, works great for a lot of guys i know, from the league to d3

Factory
10-27-08, 12:26 am
back in my day we did 5x5 with bench, power cleans, squats, box squats, and dead-lift.

i also did a ton of lying leg curls - helps a ton with your 40 time