PDA

View Full Version : Eating: Mind over Matter?

Universal Rep
10-22-08, 4:18 pm
http://www.newsweek.com/id/164197

Is it just a matter of willpower or not?

Dingo
10-22-08, 4:44 pm
of course it boils down to will power. Once you know you are genetically predisposed to something, its will power that determines what you do with it.

Mizzarler
10-22-08, 5:12 pm
mmmmmm cake

V Man
10-22-08, 5:39 pm
OK - Blood pressure rising....

Yikes - a diet article.... So that must only affect women then. Obese women this, women that, size zero women this.... blah blah blah. Becuase men just dont care do they? They dont give a fuck what they look like.
Sorry to go off on a tangent guys and girls but lazy journalism like this boils my piss. Diet and body issues affect people, including those with a y chromosone not just women.
Fuck, society and the media drive me CRAZY at times.

Anyway - Im not buying this - there's less pleasure in certain peoples brains so they eat more. Surely the more pleasure you derive from something, the more you want to do it? Thats just human nature. If a certain demographic of people didnt derive any pleasure from eating, Id assume they'd be slimmer?

The general gist of this piece is that - the fatter you are, the less pleasure you derive from eating? What a crock of shit.

Well lets ask a group of anorexic girls if they derive pleasure from eating, as according to this article, they enjoy food the most...

Yours pissed off,

V Man

V Man
10-22-08, 5:46 pm
not finished yet....

There is a decreased level of dopamine in the brain in obese individuals??? Well maybe, just maybe, and I know this might be a pioneering statement, they have built up a tolerence to the pleasures of food, and need more to compensate? Give an alcoholic a few beers and his/her brain wont register its pleasurable effects. Give a drug addict a few grams of coke - wont touch them. They've built up a tolerence, so they need more and more.

Its like training and sports is it not? when you first start working out you get a fabulous dopamine hit after a work out and feel incredible.... then after years and years of training the effects are diminished and you need longer and more intense workouts to get that "high"...

musclealchemist
10-22-08, 5:57 pm
if you can enjoy eating a bunch of trashy food, you can teach yourself to eat healthy food. I dunno bout you but i crave steak, potatoes, and fish more than i do fast food(which upsets my stomach.)

MojoMike36
10-22-08, 6:03 pm
i'd inject my food if it was possible. Its just gasoline to me.

brandonA
10-22-08, 6:11 pm
Life is about will power, the ultimate test. Man, woman or child. If you are failing in the food will power dept. is it a far stretch of the imagination that you are failing in one or two others as well?

This is a very deep subject that could go in many directions, most not healthy conversation. I find it very interesting that some people just cant not do something. Just one of life's little mysteries that intrigue me.

To me it is very simple, don't eat that cookie, no matter how loud it is calling my name. So when people eat the cookie when every fiber of there being is telling them not to, I am flabbergasted, but very curious why it was so easy for me, and not for them. Not passing judgment, just not something that I fully understand.

-B

thatdude111
10-22-08, 6:30 pm
as mentioned above these people have built up a tolerance for eating junk food that's why their dopamine reaction to food are less than normal. I love eating junk food, i can probably eat a whole box of twinkies and still not be satisfied, does this mean i have soemthing wrong with my dopamine levels and I should be obese. why can't people just eat healthy and restrain themselves from gorging on junk. Doesn't everyone love eating junk food? I believe most people can learn how to eat healthy and stick to it. So now what they're gonna come out with another pill for people to take to cure obesity, god forbid people get off the couch and exercise.

B Con
10-22-08, 7:39 pm
willpower.. some want it some don't.

John-TNS
10-22-08, 10:36 pm
It depends on your dedication.... If you want something bad enough, you will do it.....

On Letting Go
10-23-08, 7:13 am
if you can enjoy eating a bunch of trashy food, you can teach yourself to eat healthy food. I dunno bout you but i crave steak, potatoes, and fish more than i do fast food(which upsets my stomach.)

Im the same way. I crave chicken, beef, eggs, rice, oats, etc all the time. Shit that i eat day in and day out. I love it.

Fast food? Heh. If every fast food chain fell off the face of the earth, i wouldnt give a shit.

Universal Rep
10-23-08, 2:17 pm
Very passionate debate here fellas... Quick question though, is "will power" exactly the same for everyone? Is it equally easy or hard for everyone to apply it, equally? In other words, do some people just have to want it more than others cuz of factors beyond their control, that is, genetics (ex. Taq1A1 allele)?

V Man
10-23-08, 4:05 pm
In my opinion rep - theres no such thing as "will power" - You just either want something and you're willing to do ANYTHING it takes to achieve your dreams and your goals, or you dont want it enough so you bitch out. Simple as that. Survival of the psychologically fittest.

Pyschologically fit and strong = Physically fit and strong. Humans have been aware of this for thousands of years - just look at the spartan training of 400BC - To create mentally tough, fearless warriors. You can train as much as you like - if youre mentally weak - you're going to lose the fight.

And if you're mentally strong - You're not going to be overweight. If you were weak, then you aquire mental toughness (Which is totally achievable) You'll do whats necessary to loose the lard and get in shape.

Eating 3 big macs because "you just had to" and then following it up with a tub of ben and jerrys because you had a "craving" when you're trying to get in shape means you either dont give a shit about your diet and fitness, or you have the mental age of a 6 year old.

Universal Rep
10-23-08, 4:14 pm
In my opinion rep - theres no such thing as "will power" - You just either want something and you're willing to do ANYTHING it takes to achieve your dreams and your goals, or you dont want it enough so you bitch out. Simple as that. Survival of the psychologically fittest.

Pyschologically fit and strong = Physically fit and strong. Humans have been aware of this for thousands of years - just look at the spartan training of 400BC - To create mentally tough, fearless warriors. You can train as much as you like - if youre mentally weak - you're going to lose the fight.

And if you're mentally strong - You're not going to be overweight. If you were weak, then you aquire mental toughness (Which is totally achievable) You'll do whats necessary to loose the lard and get in shape.

Eating 3 big macs because "you just had to" and then following it up with a tub of ben and jerrys because you had a "craving" when you're trying to get in shape means you either dont give a shit about your diet and fitness, or you have the mental age of a 6 year old.

I hear ya brother and I absolutely agree with ya. At the end of the day, you are accountable to no man but yourself. If you want something bad enough, you gotta grab hold and hang on until the end.

I was just trying to point out that, according to the scientists in that article, the issue of wanting something or resisting something--it ain't a level playing field. Some have to want something even more (like losing weight) than another cuz of genetics. Now I ain't saying that genetics should be used an excuse--just that for some, resisting that piece of cake is harder than it is for others. Just like saying cuz your 5'10", it'll be harder to slam dunk than if you were 6'10"...

Factory
10-23-08, 4:15 pm
i bet i love eating more then most 500lb people. I eat like a fuckin house, and I enjoy it. Just because I make myself eat clean, and have discipline doesn't mean i'm not addicted, I can just control it.

People don't eat a ton of big mac's because they "had to" like Vman says, they do it because they have always done it, or because they don't give a shit.

people that care enough to be a champion don't spare any expense. and for me, that expense is food. I'd love to be eating a whole plate of jelly donuts right now, but i'm not. because i want my body to look good more then i want that food. it's all about what you REALLY want, you just have to accept that.

and if you can't accept it, you're lying to yourself - and so is that shitty journalist.

Universal Rep
10-23-08, 4:18 pm
i bet i love eating more then most 500lb people. I eat like a fuckin house, and I enjoy it. Just because I make myself eat clean, and have discipline doesn't mean i'm not addicted, I can just control it.

People don't eat a ton of big mac's because they "had to" like Vman says, they do it because they have always done it, or because they don't give a shit.

people that care enough to be a champion don't spare any expense. and for me, that expense is food. I'd love to be eating a whole plate of jelly donuts right now, but i'm not. because i want my body to look good more then i want that food. it's all about what you REALLY want, you just have to accept that.

and if you can't accept it, you're lying to yourself - and so is that shitty journalist.

Ya shouldn't take issue with the journalist, brother... Debate the "science" that was presented by the journalist. The science and the researchers say that certain individuals may have a "genetic disposition" to gain weight--that a gene (which we can't control) influences the decisions some people make.

GJN5002
10-23-08, 4:19 pm
i feel like som people just dont understnd either. They see that there is no fat in somethign and assume its fine, "skittles are a fat free food, must not be too bad for me." People dont know that sugar makes them fat and gives them diabetets and heart disease, not necessarily good old animal fat.
Other people just dont care, not everyone lives like us and not everyone cares about what we think is important. Regardless of how idiotic is, not thinking health is importnat, some people would rather eat a whole pizza, or drink everynight, or smoke 2 packs a day because thats what makes them happy and gives them pleasure.
Will power doesnt make a difference if you dont care about not doing something.

Universal Rep
10-23-08, 4:25 pm
i feel like som people just dont understnd either. They see that there is no fat in somethign and assume its fine, "skittles are a fat free food, must not be too bad for me." People dont know that sugar makes them fat and gives them diabetets and heart disease, not necessarily good old animal fat.
Other people just dont care, not everyone lives like us and not everyone cares about what we think is important. Regardless of how idiotic is, not thinking health is importnat, some people would rather eat a whole pizza, or drink everynight, or smoke 2 packs a day because thats what makes them happy and gives them pleasure.
Will power doesnt make a difference if you dont care about not doing something.

Could that be a combo of willful ignorance and companies taking advantage of labeling?

GJN5002
10-23-08, 4:29 pm
Could that be a combo of willful ignorance and companies taking advantage of labeling?

thats exactly what it is, look at the chips a hoy 100 calorie packs. yes its 100 calories, but 100 empty shit calories as opposed to eating an apple or a protein shake . Companies love people who are into fad diets and not reading things.

Universal Rep
10-23-08, 4:34 pm
thats exactly what it is, look at the chips a hoy 100 calorie packs. yes its 100 calories, but 100 empty shit calories as opposed to eating an apple or a protein shake . Companies love people who are into fad diets and not reading things.

Question: Who is ultimately responsible? Media? Individuals? Corporations? On one hand, everyone gets bombarded by the media which tells 'em that fat is evil... Info begets info (accurate or not)... So people read and are trained to believe fat is evil. So they start eating fat-free snacks, genuinely believing they are healthier. They read the news reports after all. The news was confirmed by their neighbor after all... Course, now some see a lack of fat as a license to eat... And eat they do. Too much of those snacks. The snack box suggests this new fat-free snack is healthier. Is it? People want to believe. The box says it's healthier... It goes on and on.

Factory
10-23-08, 5:22 pm
Ya shouldn't take issue with the journalist, brother... Debate the "science" that was presented by the journalist. The science and the researchers say that certain individuals may have a "genetic disposition" to gain weight--that a gene (which we can't control) influences the decisions some people make.

yeah you make a good point. shit like that just gets me heated. if i can stop myself from eating a donut when my best friend sitting next to me eats one 25 minutes ago and im eating a plate full of eggs and some steak, then you know that everyone can, if they want to.

Dingo
10-23-08, 5:41 pm
Question: Who is ultimately responsible? Media? Individuals? Corporations? On one hand, everyone gets bombarded by the media which tells 'em that fat is evil... Info begets info (accurate or not)... So people read and are trained to believe fat is evil. So they start eating fat-free snacks, genuinely believing they are healthier. They read the news reports after all. The news was confirmed by their neighbor after all... Course, now some see a lack of fat as a license to eat... And eat they do. Too much of those snacks. The snack box suggests this new fat-free snack is healthier. Is it? People want to believe. The box says it's healthier... It goes on and on.

seems alot like that game that gets played as a kid, to show how rumors start, where everyone sits in a big circle and you pass a whisper from ear to ear, once the whisper makes the circle, its not even close to what was originally whispered.
I think alot of it has to with the mentality we have that "they wouldnt lie to us, its against the law" so we very gullibly buy into what is put before us. Very lemming like, untill one of us actually does some research on our own and stirs up the herd.

V Man
10-23-08, 6:11 pm
You make some cool and valid points rep - and I totally love your non biast and thoughtful posts.

Im not sure if the media or advertising are to blame for peoples over indulgence. Sure, the media can advertise a certain brand, be it Pringles or Pepsi or krispy creme.... And people will go out and buy. Shit, Ive done it myself - And Im not adverse to the odd donut If I want one.

But I'll give you an example of something that happened today at my office. I see the guys and girls all around me. Some of them overweight, some of them skinny muching on all sorts of shit that seems to magically appear from their desk draws during the morning. Then they see the sandwich mobile roll up outside - And they all go out for their sandwiches and chocolate and potato chips and soda..... The media didnt do anything to influence that - they saw with their eyes and they went for it. Yep - I saw it too and might of just fancied a tuna baguette and a big bag of corn chips - But I know that my body doesnt need the fuel right now - so there's no need to indulge my primative biological instincts. Jesus - If I indulged every primative biological instict I had I'd be in a world of shit.....

Anyway - thats exactly what my work friends did - see food, want food, eat food.

Im not in a position to say if genetics play a role in desiring food, but all of us, as human beings have the same basic biological drive to feed - and Im not convinced that some people have it more than others to the point where they literally cant control themselves and its "not their fault"

If that was the case - there would be no instances of obese people shedding 100s of pounds and becoming slim - because they have been cursed with gentics that makes resisting food impossible, right?

simpleguy
10-24-08, 8:46 am
solid posts so far... lately I'm seeing all kinds of sweets stating on the label it's healthy stuff and people buy it

simpleguy
10-24-08, 8:47 am
Life is about will power, the ultimate test. Man, woman or child. If you are failing in the food will power dept. is it a far stretch of the imagination that you are failing in one or two others as well?

great stuff bro, that's the truth

Dingo
10-24-08, 10:08 am
solid posts so far... lately I'm seeing all kinds of sweets stating on the label it's healthy stuff and people buy it

like the sugar/hfcs laden candies that have packages that read in bold letters FAT FREE SNACK
lol, since all that extra sweetner will surely not cause an insulin spike or fat storage....

Big Wides
10-24-08, 1:19 pm
I think a lot of this has to come from people not wanting to self educate themselves on either what is available to them, reading labels, food effects on the body or making choices on their own. Many times in recent memory, with everyone living in this fast pace enviroment they are willing to take the instant knoweldge that is presented to them and take it as gospel without thinking. They feel it is the media's job, along with the experts and everyone else, to educate them on what to eat and what not to. Does packaging have something to do with this, absoulty when it comes to the indvidual who doesnt read labels or buys something because it says "Light". If people out there became educated, took the time to read the labels and slow down things that they can control in life then we wouldnt have this. Do I see this happening anytime soon, hell no but one can hope that it does take effect with the masses

Universal Rep
10-24-08, 1:21 pm
yeah you make a good point. shit like that just gets me heated. if i can stop myself from eating a donut when my best friend sitting next to me eats one 25 minutes ago and im eating a plate full of eggs and some steak, then you know that everyone can, if they want to.

Know where you're comin' from brother... When all is said and done, it comes down to personal accountability and responsibility.

Universal Rep
10-24-08, 1:21 pm
seems alot like that game that gets played as a kid, to show how rumors start, where everyone sits in a big circle and you pass a whisper from ear to ear, once the whisper makes the circle, its not even close to what was originally whispered.
I think alot of it has to with the mentality we have that "they wouldnt lie to us, its against the law" so we very gullibly buy into what is put before us. Very lemming like, untill one of us actually does some research on our own and stirs up the herd.

The problem I see here is, when, where and how is it is possible to actually get the "truth"?

Universal Rep
10-24-08, 1:26 pm
You make some cool and valid points rep - and I totally love your non biast and thoughtful posts.

Im not sure if the media or advertising are to blame for peoples over indulgence. Sure, the media can advertise a certain brand, be it Pringles or Pepsi or krispy creme.... And people will go out and buy. Shit, Ive done it myself - And Im not adverse to the odd donut If I want one.

But I'll give you an example of something that happened today at my office. I see the guys and girls all around me. Some of them overweight, some of them skinny muching on all sorts of shit that seems to magically appear from their desk draws during the morning. Then they see the sandwich mobile roll up outside - And they all go out for their sandwiches and chocolate and potato chips and soda..... The media didnt do anything to influence that - they saw with their eyes and they went for it. Yep - I saw it too and might of just fancied a tuna baguette and a big bag of corn chips - But I know that my body doesnt need the fuel right now - so there's no need to indulge my primative biological instincts. Jesus - If I indulged every primative biological instict I had I'd be in a world of shit.....

Anyway - thats exactly what my work friends did - see food, want food, eat food.

Im not in a position to say if genetics play a role in desiring food, but all of us, as human beings have the same basic biological drive to feed - and Im not convinced that some people have it more than others to the point where they literally cant control themselves and its "not their fault"

If that was the case - there would be no instances of obese people shedding 100s of pounds and becoming slim - because they have been cursed with gentics that makes resisting food impossible, right?

Thanks brother.. What I was gettin' at is that there is no single source of "blame" when ya get right down to it. For every individual, I think it's a different combo of all different factors, both internal (genetics, brain chemistry, "will power") and external (media, news, friends, family). But where I often see a disconnect is with this basic attitude--"If I can do it, anyone can." Mebbe it's true and mebbe it ain't. One thing I'm pretty sure about though--it ain't exactly the same for any two people. Isn't this what makes us human? That we're all unique, with unique bodies, minds and experiences?

Dingo
10-24-08, 1:55 pm
I think a lot of this has to come from people not wanting to self educate themselves on either what is available to them, reading labels, food effects on the body or making choices on their own. Many times in recent memory, with everyone living in this fast pace enviroment they are willing to take the instant knoweldge that is presented to them and take it as gospel without thinking. They feel it is the media's job, along with the experts and everyone else, to educate them on what to eat and what not to. Does packaging have something to do with this, absoulty when it comes to the indvidual who doesnt read labels or buys something because it says "Light". If people out there became educated, took the time to read the labels and slow down things that they can control in life then we wouldnt have this. Do I see this happening anytime soon, hell no but one can hope that it does take effect with the masses

The problem I see here is, when, where and how is it is possible to actually get the "truth"?

i think the "truth" is up to each and every individual to find, you can either let your eyes glaze over and accept what the boob tube tells you is the truth, or you can get off your ass and try to learn and challenge what is presented my mainstream watered down, copy and pasted media. Its got tons to do with personal accountability. Everyone in todays society takes whats on the 10 o'clock news for the truth, when in reality its old news, based off an article they read on tmz that was based of an article written by a college paper based off yet another article copied from the 10 o clock news. We're so fast paced and willing to accept the easy way, which most of us are taught as kids through "moral stories" and fables, is the wrong way. The High road and the hard road run hand in hand and lead to a much better destination that the fast and easy route.

GJN5002
10-24-08, 2:26 pm

The problem is you dont know who to trust. I beleive its up to the individual to find out whats right because someone will always try to lead you astray, intentionally or not. But the problem arises when you try to find the truth. Company A tells you fat is bad, Company B tells you only a certain fat is bad, Company C says Fat A in conjunction with product B is the best. Even doctors cant agree, your gen health practioner will prob tell you not to eat much fat and dont eat lots of eggs, then talk to guys like dr mauro di pasquale and find out fats are good and will make you healthier.

Universal Rep
10-24-08, 2:28 pm
The problem is you dont know who to trust. I beleive its up to the individual to find out whats right because someone will always try to lead you astray, intentionally or not. But the problem arises when you try to find the truth. Company A tells you fat is bad, Company B tells you only a certain fat is bad, Company C says Fat A in conjunction with product B is the best. Even doctors cant agree, your gen health practioner will prob tell you not to eat much fat and dont eat lots of eggs, then talk to guys like dr mauro di pasquale and find out fats are good and will make you healthier.

Here's an example of what I see on other forums... Some fellas say ya don't need carbs PWO. Other fellas say ya need carbs PWO. Both sides present studies. Now what?

GJN5002
10-24-08, 2:31 pm
Here's an example of what I see on other forums... Some fellas say ya don't need carbs PWO. Other fellas say ya need carbs PWO. Both sides present studies. Now what?

self experimentation, if it is something as simple as PWO carbs. But when certain medicines become fashionable and are found to cause horrible things years later then what do you do...or when you find out eating loads of carbs all day and low pro and fat can cause diabetes because you develop it then what do you do?

Dingo
10-24-08, 4:54 pm

self experimentation, if it is something as simple as PWO carbs. But when certain medicines become fashionable and are found to cause horrible things years later then what do you do...or when you find out eating loads of carbs all day and low pro and fat can cause diabetes because you develop it then what do you do?

this is where more research is needed to better educate yourself, anyone can present studies, which most studies are statistical, and you can twist stats to suit whatever you want it to be in support of. so one would have to look at the studies presented by other individuals, who more or less have probably just done a quick google search. I seem to remember a study that was posted on bb.com about a universal product that caused quite a stir, untill the study was actually investigated further. it seems to all fall back onto individual accountability, and your own ability to either take things at face value, or to believe it as if the heavens parted and God spoke them to you.

Feel The Power
10-24-08, 7:29 pm
great thread!! very valid points!

simpleguy
10-25-08, 6:11 am

yeah I've seen that as well... to each his own, but I've had better gains by using simple carbs intra or post w/o then not using them...

I guess it is an individual thing, also closely related to how hard you train... because if you just do a couple of crunches and curl 15lb for 'toning' because your fitness instructor told you to you won't really need simple carbs since your body is not in a depleted state

GJN5002
10-25-08, 3:32 pm
what im saying though isnt as simple as what kind of carbs work when or how well they work in relation to a workout, but rather food choices people make everyday. Im sure 3/4 of the population has no idea about nutrient timing or anabolic response but they see articles and ads telling them fat is bad or protein is bad and gives you a heart problems. Ye syou can do your research but for every article you read that says fats when eaten in the right amounts and the right kinds are very good for us, there are just as many articles saying avoid fat and excessive protein and eat pasta and such. The fact is, most people arent as crazy about nutrition as we are. All im saying is that there are three sides to everything and most people will never get to the truth part of it.

simpleguy
10-25-08, 5:30 pm
Im sure 3/4 of the population has no idea about nutrient timing

lol better make that 90-95%...

Universal Rep
10-28-08, 9:33 am
So, to change the subject just a little--know how we all have favorite foods? Is that cuz of genetics?

Dingo
10-28-08, 10:10 am
So, to change the subject just a little--know how we all have favorite foods? Is that cuz of genetics?

If it is, then how do you explain "acquired taste"?
Foods I hated as a kid I now love, I also use less sauces, sweeteners and what not. I dont think its so much genetic as a trained response, a re-teaching if you will of my taste buds from all the crap i've ingested since childhood.

Aggression
10-28-08, 10:41 am
Foods I hated as a kid I now love, I also use less sauces, sweeteners and what not. I dont think its so much genetic as a trained response, a re-teaching if you will of my taste buds from all the crap i've ingested since childhood.

I agree bro. When I was younger, I loved my vegetables because my parents made me eat them. Then when I became introduced to soda, junk food, I loved it. I remember as a Junior in high school, EVERY day for lunch was Burger King. OK,OK, not EVERY day. Some days we went next door to McDonalds. I look back, disgusted at myself. How did I not have a heart attack haha. Since I started eating healthy for the psat few years again, I don't even want that junk anymore, not even regular soda! Of course, when your dieting, having only 50g carbs/day, a burger from the drive thru does come to mind ...

Universal Rep
10-28-08, 10:45 am

I would say an acquired taste is largely that, "acquired". It is something you voluntarily choose.

I do think there are certain foods we are all naturally drawn to and naturally avoid. As a kid, did ya avoid spinach but love peanut butter? As a young kid, did you actively "choose"?

I think the acquired taste thing is a function of being an adult and being able to make conscious choices.

Universal Rep
10-28-08, 10:47 am
I agree bro. When I was younger, I loved my vegetables because my parents made me eat them. Then when I became introduced to soda, junk food, I loved it. I remember as a Junior in high school, EVERY day for lunch was Burger King. OK,OK, not EVERY day. Some days we went next door to McDonalds. I look back, disgusted at myself. How did I not have a heart attack haha. Since I started eating healthy for the psat few years again, I don't even want that junk anymore, not even regular soda! Of course, when your dieting, having only 50g carbs/day, a burger from the drive thru does come to mind ...

Yeah, you made a conscious decision as an adult... That's the key IMHO. If ya can't eat fast food now, it's cuz you're accustomed to not eating it--I do think there is "mind over matter". Also, there are many kids who are forced to eat veggies but they didn't end up loving 'em, right? Why is that?

Dingo
10-28-08, 10:59 am
I would say an acquired taste is largely that, "acquired". It is something you voluntarily choose.

I do think there are certain foods we are all naturally drawn to and naturally avoid. As a kid, did ya avoid spinach but love peanut butter? As a young kid, did you actively "choose"?

I think the acquired taste thing is a function of being an adult and being able to make conscious choices.

I think its more less an evolutionary function, when you look at nature, animals eat what they need. their bodies tell them when its time for fattening up and hibernation and what not. our bodies have probably lost touch with that due to the easily/readily available drive up window. Eating is no longer done for survival, but for pleasure. So it once may have been genetic, but now is more a conscience choice.

Universal Rep
10-28-08, 11:04 am
I think its more less an evolutionary function, when you look at nature, animals eat what they need. their bodies tell them when its time for fattening up and hibernation and what not. our bodies have probably lost touch with that due to the easily/readily available drive up window. Eating is no longer done for survival, but for pleasure. So it once may have been genetic, but now is more a conscience choice.

Yup. It is the distinction between "eating to live" and "living to eat".

Basically, I think it's a combo of both. Just like the article I posted up at the start of this thread... That we all develop certain tastes and maintain them (through "willpower" or some other conscious motivation) but that there is a hidden, genetic component that drives those tastes whether we like to acknowledge it or not...

So if ya happen to absolute love pasta, then giving up pasta cold turkey would be harder for you than for me who (let's say) hates pasta. And we're back to square one, the first post--is it right or is it judgmental for me to then say to you, "Why can't ya give up pasta? It's so easy. I can..." Ya see?

Bottom line, everyone has willpower--the will to ultimately choose what to eat and what not to eat. But for those who are "addicted" to carbs or eating, it's not necessarily a level playing field.

Dingo
10-28-08, 11:19 am
Yup. It is the distinction between "eating to live" and "living to eat".

Basically, I think it's a combo of both. Just like the article I posted up at the start of this thread... That we all develop certain tastes and maintain them (through "willpower" or some other conscious motivation) but that there is a hidden, genetic component that drives those tastes whether we like to acknowledge it or not...

So if ya happen to absolute love pasta, then giving up pasta cold turkey would be harder for you than for me who (let's say) hates pasta. And we're back to square one, the first post--is it right or is it judgmental for me to then say to you, "Why can't ya give up pasta? It's so easy. I can..." Ya see?

Bottom line, everyone has willpower--the will to ultimately choose what to eat and what not to eat. But for those who are "addicted" to carbs or eating, it's not necessarily a level playing field.

exactly, and who ever said life was fair, or easy....

Factory
10-28-08, 11:42 am

a ton of things have to do with taste in my opinion, for instance, your taste buds change as you age, Right now I'd do just about anything to dig into some cheesecake, but a few years ago i couldn't stand the stuff. Some of it does have to do with genetics, though also a traumatic event can make you hate a certain food.

Universal Rep
10-28-08, 1:49 pm
a ton of things have to do with taste in my opinion, for instance, your taste buds change as you age, Right now I'd do just about anything to dig into some cheesecake, but a few years ago i couldn't stand the stuff. Some of it does have to do with genetics, though also a traumatic event can make you hate a certain food.

Hahaha, on the money brother... If I puke up a food, trust me, I'm done with that food for a long, long time...

NJC_Manhattan
10-29-08, 4:40 pm
Very passionate debate here fellas... Quick question though, is "will power" exactly the same for everyone? Is it equally easy or hard for everyone to apply it, equally? In other words, do some people just have to want it more than others cuz of factors beyond their control, that is, genetics (ex. Taq1A1 allele)?

Hi Rep,
'will power' is the mind & body's general avoidance of temptation. Basically, the ability to exert one's will over one's actions. Self Control pretty much goes hand in hand with this. I am sure genetics play a heavy roll in this. It can't be equal for everyone, no one is same.

How I get over any temptation... If I want to buy something, I wait til the next day to see if I feel the same way about it... If I want to eat something I know is something that will fuck up my diet, then I drink 2 glasses of water and do 20 pushups that will do it....

Great thread though