PDA

View Full Version : Keto? How does this look?

NJack2AF
10-22-08, 11:29 pm
Okay I'm basically looking for some advice on if I will be doing this right given the research I have done and the numbers I have come up with.. So first of all..

Background- I'm 20 yrs old 190lbs 16% have been lifting for 8 years on and off. I have been bulking (somewhat dirty bulking you can say lol) since I was about 180 and had a little more fat on me. (I had stopped lifting for a long period of time and was out of shape)

Current Diet- I make sure to get lots of protein in (always at least 1g/lb) and 6 meals a day, at least 1 gal water a day, I don't eat bad foods too often but don't stick to a diet either. I take Pak (morning) and Flex (night) regularly now, plus pump before lifting and torrent after with a big meal following in about 45 mins.

Goal- I would like to get down to 9-10% ish. Enough to see abs and get a little more vascularity going in my arms. I intend to follow the keto diet I keep reading about. Given that, I intend to begin cutting in about a month. (I may gain a little before that but if I get details hammered out it won't be hard to tweak later...)

From what I have read and looked up,

@ 16% bf and 190lbs my LBM is ~160lbs.

That amt of mass requires 2533 cals/day maintenence.

@ 4 cals/gram I'd need for 60% of my cals ~380g Protein

@ 9 cals/gram I'd need for 35% of my cals ~100g Fat

@ 4 cals/gram I'd need for 5% of my cals ~32g Carbs

I just want to make sure that all of this is correct before I build a daily diet to follow around it.

The Plan- I had planned to Take Omega with the Pak in the morning, then flax seed oil (~1g/meal) throughout the day and get the rest of my fat from almonds and natural peanut butter (and obviously the meat)... Protein would be all be from milk/chicken/lean steak/tuna/turkey/low fat cottage cheese. I'd imagine enough carbs would probably come in through the almonds and peanut butter to hit 32g... Switching from the torrent to 100% whey protein for after lifting, stop the pump and take cuts upon waking in the morning and afternoon.

Cardio- I know that low intensity extended cardio is the best for burning fat, and I despise running so should I do biking like once a day in the morning for a 1/2 hour or what? I've heard that cardio is best first thing in the morning, even before eating breakfast?

Sorry it's so long but if I'm going to go on a quest to get ripped I want to make sure I do it right lol.. Animal kicks ass I know you guys will steer me right so feel free to tell me what is right, wrong, things you might change and please help me out with the cardio part I always read and hear different things about it and it annoys me I want someone who knows to tell me the truth...

Thanks,

NJ

IronWilson
10-22-08, 11:36 pm
For cardio, it's ok that you hate running, it's not reccomended to run while doing keto. It's more of a brisk walk if you're using the treadmill. But you could use the stationary bike if you wanted. Doesn't really matter how you do cardio as long as you do it every morning before breakfast. That is when doing cardio is optimal.

Also, you say that your protein will come from milk? You don't want milk, or actually any dairy, so consider dropping the cottage cheese too while dieting. Milk has too many carbs and sugar to be used on keto. And you probably want to shoot for less than 32 grams of carbs. Your carb intake will probably be somewhere in the 20s.

NJack2AF
10-23-08, 12:16 am
K so no dairy, and thanks for the help on the cardio. Every morning easy cardio (brisk walking type pace) for how long a 1/2 hour or so? And that should be before any food right? And I should try to keep the carbs as low as possible basically?

AFTazz06
10-23-08, 12:35 am
Go for 45mins of cardio.

sanga
10-23-08, 3:10 am
No carbs full stop, the only ones acceptable are from almonds, natural peanut butter and so forth as they occur naturally.

The best thing you can do is go read OXs thread from start to finish, all is revealed there, quickest and surest way :)

T-GUN
10-23-08, 10:23 am
dont forget the leafy greens, spinach, brocolli etc.. they will help keep you from getting "plugged up" and Fiber carbs dont count against you in keto. Hell I even take torrent post workout and im still in ketosis when I wake up. 35lbs down in 2 months and strength still going up, added size to arms, chest, shoulders and claves as well. Had to much fat around the legs so those went down, Italians-fat goes right to my legs and ass. Like Sanga said hit ox's thread, page 2 and 3 he lays it all out. Theres also several threads here in the diet section hit the search button and you should find all the answers you need.

sanga
10-23-08, 10:28 am
Lol, how often you hitting the Torrent and at what dose?

T-GUN
10-23-08, 5:29 pm
Work out 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off and take it just those 4 days that im working out and I take the whole 3 scoops each time.

sanga
10-23-08, 5:34 pm
No other carbs throughout the day at all?

Factory
10-23-08, 5:40 pm
No carbs full stop, the only ones acceptable are from almonds, natural peanut butter and so forth as they occur naturally.

The best thing you can do is go read OXs thread from start to finish, all is revealed there, quickest and surest way :)

x2.

the only carbs I eat all day is pb and almonds. along with some green veggies, but thats fiber.

NJack2AF
10-23-08, 6:12 pm
Gotcha, thanks for all the responses.

T-GUN
10-23-08, 7:20 pm
No other carbs throughout the day at all?

I eat almonds, natty pb, and the green veggies. On workout days I'll eat yams or oats in my preworkout meal, not a lot but some.

sanga
10-24-08, 3:23 am
Ok mate but I fail to see how you are in ketosis, maybe you are by the morning as you have said but how are you telling?

T-GUN
10-24-08, 4:41 am
Stix still come out purple, Pee still stinks, breath still has acetone smell. Took me awhile the to find the right balance. I work out at the end of my day and go to bed immediately after. The carbs in the preworkout meal came into play when I notice I wasnt feeing the same from Pump and M-stack. I added just a few carbs, maybe 2 ounces of the yams and like an 1/8 cup oats. Not enough to knock me out but I could feel the difference with the pump and m-stack. My totals on non fiber carbs are still low enough to be in ketosis and due to how Torent works those carbs dont even seem to come into play.

sanga
10-24-08, 5:07 am
Hmm, you know your body so fair play to you, getting that balance correct when so close to coming out of ketosis isn`t easy, the sticks are crap IMO though but the other signs well can`t argue with those mate.

T-GUN
10-24-08, 5:38 am
yeah i know im close. But down another 3lbs this week so I cant argue the results.

Factory
10-24-08, 7:45 am
some ppl go into / stay in ketosis really easily, the sticks are dark purple for me no matter if i accidently eat like 15 servings of almonds. which i do from time to time.
the sticks might be wrong, but i don't feel any different. still tons of energy, terrible breath, and stunning good looks. haha