PDA

View Full Version : DB Bench problem

Skullcrusher149
10-23-08, 1:02 pm
Hey guys

I've had this problem with my DB bench for some reason and it is really confusing me. My goal, since about the middle of September, is to get 5 reps of the 100's by January 1st. I've been doing a 5x5 with the 85's and about every 3-4 weeks I was gonna up it 5 pounds to the 90's, 95's then the goal of 100. Everything has been going well and i've been hitting chest hard, but as of lately, I begin to lock out about my 4th set, 3rd rep. My 5x5 was always doable with the 85's and I would always get 5 clean reps. I don't understand what is going on with it now. All I can think of is over training, but because I've had midterms these past couple of weeks, I've been axing a chest day every now and then just so I could give my chest a break and to give myself some more study time. It's just really confusing, seeing as how i'm going DOWN in the amount of weight i'm using and, to be honest, it's really damn annoying.

Here's my routine

Warm up with 3 sets of 12 dips, light DB press and light DB flyes

5x5 DB Press
5x5 Inc DB Press
5x5 Inc DB Flyes (every other workout i rotate to flat Flyes)
5x5 Pullovers

-stretching for 10 mins-

Also, my shoulder split is never the day before my chest day, so i don't think that's the problem.

Alright, hopefully I explained everything well in my post and it makes sense. Thanks guys, and peace.

shizz702
10-23-08, 1:07 pm
Sounds like you're hitting a plateau.

One thing you got to consider is when doing the db presses, 5 lb jumps can be difficult cause that's an extra 5 lbs per arm.

First try to take a break like you mentioned and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work you may opt for trying 2.5 lb jumps instead of 5 lbs by taping a 2.5 lb plate to the bell. Believe it or not there comes a time where you just can't make those 5 lb jumps anymore, but you still maybe able to make smaller gains. Small gains lead to big ones in the long run.

Also, since the db presses are your main goal in mind, you may consider dropping some of the other exercises, they may be interfering with your recovery. So you want to make sure you're devoting most of your energy to your goal.

Aggression
10-23-08, 1:24 pm
Hit the gym on a chest day, and start with 2 isolation exercises first. Do 3-4 sets each of cables flyes and dumbbell flyes (incline or flat), then go into your compound exercises like dumbell presses. Believe it or not, you'll benefit from it. Of course, you'll be weaker doing the db presses after doing the flyes first, but it'll pay off in the long run. You might have hit a plateau, and it might be the result of stagnation in your routine. Do that for 2-3 weeks, then hit the presses first again and see what happens.

keep things changing and you'll get there

BigNick84
10-23-08, 1:48 pm
try doing a different rep scheme to change up the stresses on the body

Littlefry
10-23-08, 2:27 pm
Hey guys

Here's my routine

Warm up with 3 sets of 12 dips, light DB press and light DB flyes

5x5 DB Press
5x5 Inc DB Press
5x5 Inc DB Flyes (every other workout i rotate to flat Flyes)
5x5 Pullovers

-stretching for 10 mins-

Also, my shoulder split is never the day before my chest day, so i don't think that's the problem.

Alright, hopefully I explained everything well in my post and it makes sense. Thanks guys, and peace.

I would say that there are two factors that could be attributing to your problem. First off as shizz said you're probably hitting a plateau. What I do when hitting a plateau is reset the weight back a couple of weeks, then I usually work back up to my goal and surpass it with ease, also a good deload might do you good.

Secondly you might be over training and therefor fatiguing the muscle to quickly. The program you outline is 5x5 for 4 different exercises at high poundages across each set. This equivalates to 100 reps on chest at high tonnage and poundage. Therefore you chest is probably taking a beating especailly if your doing strait sets of 5x5 for all those exercises and not ramping. In order to compensate for this try running just one exercise as 5x5 strait sets and the other exercise as either 2x8 or 3x8 to give you chest some rest and a different look at another rep scheme.

PrimaI
10-23-08, 3:13 pm
Perhaps try a deload phase?

js71474
10-23-08, 3:47 pm
Sounds like you're hitting a plateau.

One thing you got to consider is when doing the db presses, 5 lb jumps can be difficult cause that's an extra 5 lbs per arm.

First try to take a break like you mentioned and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work you may opt for trying 2.5 lb jumps instead of 5 lbs by taping a 2.5 lb plate to the bell. Believe it or not there comes a time where you just can't make those 5 lb jumps anymore, but you still maybe able to make smaller gains. Small gains lead to big ones in the long run.

Also, since the db presses are your main goal in mind, you may consider dropping some of the other exercises, they may be interfering with your recovery. So you want to make sure you're devoting most of your energy to your goal.

I would say that there are two factors that could be attributing to your problem. First off as shizz said you're probably hitting a plateau. What I do when hitting a plateau is reset the weight back a couple of weeks, then I usually work back up to my goal and surpass it with ease, also a good deload might do you good.

Secondly you might be over training and therefor fatiguing the muscle to quickly. The program you outline is 5x5 for 4 different exercises at high poundages across each set. This equivalates to 100 reps on chest at high tonnage and poundage. Therefore you chest is probably taking a beating especailly if your doing strait sets of 5x5 for all those exercises and not ramping. In order to compensate for this try running just one exercise as 5x5 strait sets and the other exercise as either 2x8 or 3x8 to give you chest some rest and a different look at another rep scheme.

This is all the info you need bro, put these into practice and you will succeed!

theharjmann
10-23-08, 4:58 pm
try this. it worked for me for every exercise i wanted to improve on, but may not work for you.

do not dumbell flat bench for a month. do every other chest exercise...train hard and heavy, including dropsets, supersets, high rep sets etc.

Then after a month hit up the dumbell bench after a good warmup.

With a good diet and training you will smash up those 100s with ease!

Peace

GJN5002
10-23-08, 5:01 pm
"I've been axing a chest day every now and then just so I could give my chest a break and to give myself some more study time."
be more consistent, I know we all get busy but if you are that worried about attaining a goal you wont miss workout.

Get some variation in your workout for a week or two and go back to db presses.

Skullcrusher149
10-23-08, 7:06 pm

Thanks man, that makes lots of sense. Going to implement it.

be more consistent, I know we all get busy but if you are that worried about attaining a goal you wont miss workout.
I've been lifting 5 days a week for almost three years now rarely missing a workout unless i'm taking a rest week, so it's definitely not a matter of discipline brah. I can't and won't prioritze a 100 pound DB press over an important midterm.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, I really appreciate it. Peace.

hardhit71
10-23-08, 7:18 pm
Try diong pyramid sets for a little while starting with lighter DBs and working your way up by your last set.

Littlefry
10-24-08, 2:21 pm
no problem buddy, 5x5 ramping is the way to go.

prowrestler
10-24-08, 6:29 pm
max out every week and a plateau is sure to come.

switch that exercise one that is similar, say the flat bench or floor dumbell presses, alternate dumbell presses with floor dumbell presses and close grip dumbell presses every week

week 1 dumbell press

week 2 floor dumbell press

week 3 close grip dumbell press

week 4 deload with high rep flys

ls1phillip
10-24-08, 7:41 pm
Wow thanks guys im having the same problem but this will help

simpleguy
10-25-08, 6:05 am
max out every week and a plateau is sure to come.

switch that exercise one that is similar, say the flat bench or floor dumbell presses, alternate dumbell presses with floor dumbell presses and close grip dumbell presses every week

week 1 dumbell press

week 2 floor dumbell press

week 3 close grip dumbell press

week 4 deload with high rep flys

yeah like definitely it's impossible to do the same exercise, same routine for weeks on end and keep adding more weight... good advice

prowrestler
10-26-08, 11:50 am
yeah like definitely it's impossible to do the same exercise, same routine for weeks on end and keep adding more weight... good advice

thanks