PDA

View Full Version : 30 seconds rest Between sets?

In Flames
10-24-08, 3:27 pm
I only rest 30 seconds in between my sets. Is this counter productive? I'm mainly going for muscle mass. I've also read that Ron Coleman (not Ronnie Coleman) only rested 30 seconds in between sets. Same as Serge Nubret. But, I usually lift til failure or one rep short til failure. I'm in and out of the gym in around 30-45 minutes. I'm def. sweating way more than anyone else in there since the rest periods are short and I'm super pumped.

My current Chest/Tricep workout.

4 x 8-12 Incline DB Bench
3 x 8-12 Flat BB Bench
3 x 8-15 Incline DB Fly's
3 x 8-12 Weighted Dips

3 x 8-15 Close Grip Bench
3 x 8-15 Rope Pushdowns

All 30 seconds rest inbetween sets and 1 minute rest inbetween exercises, or just enough time to switch to the next one and get the weight ready.

sportsfan4110
10-24-08, 6:35 pm
i would say if you are seeing results at putting on mass then keep doing it but if your not then i would suggest resting for about 1.5-2 min. or until you think you are rested enough to complete the next set will full power. On my heaviest sets i rest as long as i need to, to the point where my mind is right and i feel that i am recovered enough to put everything i have into the set.

bovat
10-24-08, 7:01 pm
i do exactly what you do when im in my second phase of training. So i obviously see nothing wrong with it.

shizz702
10-24-08, 8:10 pm
Don't get too caught up in exact amounts of time between sets bro, just take as much time as needed. Me personally sometimes I take 30 seconds, sometimes I take 5 minutes, depending on the level of intensity I'm training at.

OverDose
10-24-08, 9:42 pm
i personally think a few minutes is better, it all depends on what eexercise you're doing and how intense, like if you were doing heavy squats or deadlifts you would need more than 30 seconds :D

SQUAT or DIE!
10-24-08, 9:49 pm
Don't get too caught up in exact amounts of time between sets bro, just take as much time as needed. Me personally sometimes I take 30 seconds, sometimes I take 5 minutes, depending on the level of intensity I'm training at.

ROFL shizz your PL is showing...

i see no problem with 30 secnds rest, some of my sets i take about 45.. as long as it works keep on doin it

In Flames
10-24-08, 10:33 pm
Thanks alot for the replies guys. Is 6 sets enough for Triceps? I also do 6 sets for Biceps after Back. This is my current split.

Monday - Chest/Triceps
Tuesday - Legs/Calves
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Shoulders/Traps
Friday - Back/Biceps

Here's my Back/Biceps workout..

4 x 8-12 Bent-over Barbell Rows
3 x 8-12 One-Arm DB Rows
2 x 8-15 V-Bar Cable Rows
3 x 8-12 Wide Grip Pull-ups
3 x 6-8 Stiff Dead-lift

3 x 8-15 Barbell Curls
3 x 8-15 Alt. Hammer Curls

I'm going to switch exercises around every 6-8 weeks to shock my body.

Also, like you guys have said with Squats and Dead of course 30 seconds is a little to less for big power movements, I usually take around 1:30-2 minutes tops.

SQUAT or DIE!
10-24-08, 10:35 pm
6 sets maybe enough, for some people it wont be enough..