PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating 5x5 into my existing routine...

npeezy
10-26-08, 8:18 pm
Hey guys....starting now, and during this winter season im looking to pack on a bit more size....preferably as much as possible haha, so i think my route to go would be to add some 5x5 training into my current split/routine.

The thing is....i understand the 5 sets of 5 reps based on the benchpress, deadlift, and squat, but im not sure as to how i would incorporate it into my current routine...the following routine is my existing one, and if someone could post an edited routine for me that would be awesome.

every exercise is done 3 sets and 6-12 reps. and also every body part is taken to failure the last 2 sets with the 1st one being a heavy warm up if you will...only legs are 4 sets each but 12-15 reps also taken to faiure my last 2 sets.

monday - chest/bi/calves

-incline db press
-flat bench press
-flat/incline db fly (alt. workout to workout)
-barbell curls
-preacher curls
-hammer curls
-standing calf raises
-seated calf raises

tues - back/traps/rear delts

-deadlifts
-barbell rows
-chins
-seated cable rows
-barbell/dumbbell shrugs
-rear delt db laterals

wed- off

thurs - shoulders/tri

-barbell/db press
-db side laterals
-upright rows
-cable side laterals
-pushdowns
-close grip bench
-either dips or skulls

fri - legs

-leg extensions
-leg curls
-squats
-leg presses
-stiff legged deads
-good ol' barbell hacks

sat - off

sun - repeat split.

so obviously the split will consist of some 5x5 and some 3x8-12, but could you guys let me know how you would change things up and incorporate the 5x5 training please, thanks guys!

shizz702
10-26-08, 8:26 pm
Bro I think you should just do the original 5x5: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you still want to add it into certain parts of your split just read that and it will tell you everything you need to know.

ironshaolin
10-26-08, 8:58 pm
5x5 should be about simplifying your workout. So I'll show you what I did, and made AWESOME progress on. Basically, things to remember: you don't really need any isolation moves during a 5x5 routine, so keep things simple and basic. For 5x5, first 2 are progressively heavier warmups, last 3 are the same weight. If you nail 5 reps for all 3, add weight next session. If you fall short, keep the weight until you make the 5.

Sometimes, less is more. If you drop to working out 3 days, and eat big, it means you stimulate maximum growth and give your body 4 days which it can use all energy to rebuilding. I group it into push/pull/and legs.

Push:
Bench press: 5x5
Incline DB press: 3x6-10
Military, seated or standing: 5x5
dips or skull crushers: 4x6-8

Pull:
Wide pullups: 4x6-8, if you can do 8 reps for all sets, add weight for last 2
Deadlifts: 5x5
Bent over rows: 4x6
BB curls: 4x6-8

Legs: Squat: 5x5
leg press: 3x6-10
glute-ham raise or stiff leg dead: 4x6-10
Standing calf raise, DC style: 1 set, a weight you can handle for 10-12 reps. Squeeze to top, lower SLOWLY, hold in stretched position for 10-15 seconds, repeat for 12 reps.

Add abs in on any day you feel you have time, I'd stick with 3 sets of 10-12 reps of either situps with a dumbell on your chest, medicine ball V-ups, decline barbell russian twists, side bends, or something you can do with weight.

Stick to this routine for 8 weeks, then switch to something else. If you get to a point where you can't make progress, no matter what you just can't get that last rep, change the excersise to something similar, i.e. bottom position bench press, rack deadlifts, box squat, bottom position squat, etc.

In Flames
10-26-08, 9:14 pm
I like the Hatfield system for training, I think it really makes alot of sense. Hitting all the fibers of the muscle in each workout. An example..

3 x 4-6 Flat Bench
3 x 6-12 Incline Bench
3 x 12-15 or 15-20 Fly's (Flat or Incline)
1 x 30-50 Crossovers

Another popular way...

3 x 4-6 Flat Bench
2 x 6-12 Incline Bench
3 x 12-15 Fly's
1 x 15-20 Pull-overs
1 x 30-50 Crossovers

npeezy
10-26-08, 9:23 pm
5x5 should be about simplifying your workout. So I'll show you what I did, and made AWESOME progress on. Basically, things to remember: you don't really need any isolation moves during a 5x5 routine, so keep things simple and basic. For 5x5, first 2 are progressively heavier warmups, last 3 are the same weight. If you nail 5 reps for all 3, add weight next session. If you fall short, keep the weight until you make the 5.

Sometimes, less is more. If you drop to working out 3 days, and eat big, it means you stimulate maximum growth and give your body 4 days which it can use all energy to rebuilding. I group it into push/pull/and legs.

Push:
Bench press: 5x5
Incline DB press: 3x6-10
Military, seated or standing: 5x5
dips or skull crushers: 4x6-8

Pull:
Wide pullups: 4x6-8, if you can do 8 reps for all sets, add weight for last 2
Deadlifts: 5x5
Bent over rows: 4x6
BB curls: 4x6-8

Legs: Squat: 5x5
leg press: 3x6-10
glute-ham raise or stiff leg dead: 4x6-10
Standing calf raise, DC style: 1 set, a weight you can handle for 10-12 reps. Squeeze to top, lower SLOWLY, hold in stretched position for 10-15 seconds, repeat for 12 reps.

Add abs in on any day you feel you have time, I'd stick with 3 sets of 10-12 reps of either situps with a dumbell on your chest, medicine ball V-ups, decline barbell russian twists, side bends, or something you can do with weight.

Stick to this routine for 8 weeks, then switch to something else. If you get to a point where you can't make progress, no matter what you just can't get that last rep, change the excersise to something similar, i.e. bottom position bench press, rack deadlifts, box squat, bottom position squat, etc.

ahh so basically what you did was make the MAIN movement the 5x5 movement and the secondaries 3/4x6-8?

i would preferrably like to work with a 4 day split....mentally i need to be in the gym more than 3 days a week, otherwise i feel lazy and out of mind...so how about something like this?

monday - chest/shoulder/tri

flat bench - 5x5
incline bench 3x8
shoulder press - 5x5
close grip bench - 3x8

tues - back/bi

deadlifts - 5x5
barbell rows - 4x8
chins - 4x8
barbell curls - 3x8

thurs - legs

squats - 5x5
leg press - 3x8
hacks - 3x8
calf press - 3x10

sat - repeat with chest/shoulder/tri

and also, just so i understood you right....the first two sets of the 5x5 are heavy warmups, 5 reps but not completely to failure and progressing the weight, and then the last 3 are a static weight where i fail at 5 reps each set?

npeezy
10-26-08, 9:28 pm
I like the Hatfield system for training, I think it really makes alot of sense. Hitting all the fibers of the muscle in each workout. An example..

3 x 4-6 Flat Bench
3 x 6-12 Incline Bench
3 x 12-15 or 15-20 Fly's (Flat or Incline)
1 x 30-50 Crossovers

Another popular way...

3 x 4-6 Flat Bench
2 x 6-12 Incline Bench
3 x 12-15 Fly's
1 x 15-20 Pull-overs
1 x 30-50 Crossovers

i actually did something like this for about a month and got really bored with it for some reason...something about doing JUST chest in the workout bored the shit out of me..

i did...

flat bench - 4x6-10
incline bench - 4x6-10
flat db fly - 3x 10-12
cable crossovers - 2x 15-20

although my chest was thrashed at the end and sore for days, mentally i got bored real quick. i NEED to be doing more than 1 muscle a workout...mentally thats where i keep my focus.

In Flames
10-26-08, 9:57 pm
i actually did something like this for about a month and got really bored with it for some reason...something about doing JUST chest in the workout bored the shit out of me..

i did...

flat bench - 4x6-10
incline bench - 4x6-10
flat db fly - 3x 10-12
cable crossovers - 2x 15-20

although my chest was thrashed at the end and sore for days, mentally i got bored real quick. i NEED to be doing more than 1 muscle a workout...mentally thats where i keep my focus.

I never said you had to do only 1 muscle in each workout.

You can do Chest/Biceps. But for smaller body-parts, they don't need as many sets. 6 is the number I like to perform and I believe is perfect for growing them.

So after the Chest workout, Biceps would look like this...

3 x 6-12 Barbell Curls
2 x 12-15 Preacher Curls (Barbell or Dumbells)
1 x 30-50 Hammer Curls

Believe me, do these exercise heavy and almost til failure, they will be sore and pumped. Especially after the 30-50 reps of Hammer Curls.

npeezy
10-26-08, 10:13 pm
I never said you had to do only 1 muscle in each workout.

You can do Chest/Biceps. But for smaller body-parts, they don't need as many sets. 6 is the number I like to perform and I believe is perfect for growing them.

So after the Chest workout, Biceps would look like this...

3 x 6-12 Barbell Curls
2 x 12-15 Preacher Curls (Barbell or Dumbells)
1 x 30-50 Hammer Curls

Believe me, do these exercise heavy and almost til failure, they will be sore and pumped. Especially after the 30-50 reps of Hammer Curls.

ohhhh i see. i didnt recognize the rep schemes. seeing as how i have chest and bis tomorrow, i think i will give this a try. i know i want to do some 5x5 since its been proven to add mass and strength, but then again i see the way this kind of workout would trash each muscle fiber and force it into growth..

so how about this..

flat press - 4x6-8
incline press - 3x8-12
pec dec fly - 2x20-30
barbell curls - 4x6-8
preacher curls - 3x10-12
hammer curls - 1x20-30

In Flames
10-26-08, 10:33 pm
ohhhh i see. i didnt recognize the rep schemes. seeing as how i have chest and bis tomorrow, i think i will give this a try. i know i want to do some 5x5 since its been proven to add mass and strength, but then again i see the way this kind of workout would trash each muscle fiber and force it into growth..

so how about this..

flat press - 4x6-8
incline press - 3x8-12
pec dec fly - 2x20-30
barbell curls - 4x6-8
preacher curls - 3x10-12
hammer curls - 1x20-30

That could work. Try it and see how you like it.

npeezy
10-27-08, 12:15 am
That could work. Try it and see how you like it.

thanks mang i definitely will....if i dont end up liking this kind of workout, then i am going to go 100% 5x5 over the winter season...but i think i might try this style for a month or so.

ill report back after tomorrows chest and bicep workout. Thanks!

daninarmy
10-27-08, 3:18 am
STICK WITH THE 5X5 It works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ironshaolin
10-27-08, 11:43 am

Fo real, man. Keep it friggin simple. Yes, you could try the split you laid out there, repeating on saturday and starting the cycle over, however I really don't think its necessary. I think too many lifters get this OCD, ADD disorder where they have to do this many days, or they have to hit the chest from angle a, b, c, d, e, f, etc. and they have to do this....ENOUGH ALREADY!!! I used to be like that, and the cause I discovered was from reading muscle and fitness. So, I quit reading that, tried to rid myself of ADD and low and behold...I started making gains!!! If your recovery can handle 4 days, go for it. But I'm telling you, you'll be surprised how much more you'll gain on a 3 day split. Remember you grow OUT of the gym, not in it. The goal should be to stimulate as much growth as possible in the SHORTEST amount of time, and then have as much time possible to eat big and sit back and recover. Don't think you're being lazy just because you have 4 rest days. Think of those as 4 growing days.

Honestly, I've made my best gains on a 2 day split, yes thats right, I seemed to grow the most and gain the most strength after lifting weights only 2 days a week. Unheard of anymore.

sanga
10-27-08, 12:19 pm
5 x 5 and a 3 day a week schedule with good clean diet with calories in suplus will have you growing, progressive resistance in the main 3 exercises with a few others is all I`d do,

Squat
Deadlift
Bench
Weighted Dips
Weighted Chins
Clean and press

npeezy
10-27-08, 12:35 pm
Fo real, man. Keep it friggin simple. Yes, you could try the split you laid out there, repeating on saturday and starting the cycle over, however I really don't think its necessary. I think too many lifters get this OCD, ADD disorder where they have to do this many days, or they have to hit the chest from angle a, b, c, d, e, f, etc. and they have to do this....ENOUGH ALREADY!!! I used to be like that, and the cause I discovered was from reading muscle and fitness. So, I quit reading that, tried to rid myself of ADD and low and behold...I started making gains!!! If your recovery can handle 4 days, go for it. But I'm telling you, you'll be surprised how much more you'll gain on a 3 day split. Remember you grow OUT of the gym, not in it. The goal should be to stimulate as much growth as possible in the SHORTEST amount of time, and then have as much time possible to eat big and sit back and recover. Don't think you're being lazy just because you have 4 rest days. Think of those as 4 growing days.

Honestly, I've made my best gains on a 2 day split, yes thats right, I seemed to grow the most and gain the most strength after lifting weights only 2 days a week. Unheard of anymore.

i know man....im a complete headcase when im not in the gym. i have to FORCE myself to take 2 days off a week, and when i do i feel lazy and gross....some say its an issue...i say im addicted...of course i know you grow out of the gym and that i should take more rest days, but then i get down on myself i guess and i feel as if i didnt do enough this week or whatever...never in the last 4 years of lifting have i not gone for any less than 5 days

npeezy
10-27-08, 12:38 pm
5 x 5 and a 3 day a week schedule with good clean diet with calories in suplus will have you growing, progressive resistance in the main 3 exercises with a few others is all I`d do,

Squat
Deadlift
Bench
Weighted Dips
Weighted Chins
Clean and press

could i take out clean and press and add shoulder press and add incline bench in there?

i would love to have my 5x5 based around..

deadlift
flat bench
incline bench
dips/close grip bench
chins
barbell rows
shoulder press
squats
leg press
barbell curl

changing from workout to workout to keep things new and exciting

npeezy
10-27-08, 12:40 pm

i try to keep telling myself that but the monotony of 3-4 movements sounds really boring to me. like i said in my above post i would love to do a 5x5 based on flat bench, incline bench, deadlift, shoulder press, chins, barbell rows, dips, close grip bench, barbell curl, shoulder press, leg press and squats.

if its possible then ill be doing 5x5 in no time....but if i HAVE to stay within the same squat, dead, flat bench press and barbell row i am going to get bored and go outta my mind in no time ;-/

sanga
10-27-08, 12:53 pm
could i take out clean and press and add shoulder press and add incline bench in there?

i would love to have my 5x5 based around..

deadlift
flat bench
incline bench
dips/close grip bench
chins
barbell rows
shoulder press
squats
leg press
barbell curl

changing from workout to workout to keep things new and exciting

Yeah as long as its big basic moves yeah but by using the same exercises you can keep adding weight each week and get stronger and stronger on that exercise.

You could do the routine for 12 weeks, take a week off then change exercises and go again.

The point here is progressive resistance, a little more again, again and again over a period of time.

npeezy
10-27-08, 1:18 pm
Yeah as long as its big basic moves yeah but by using the same exercises you can keep adding weight each week and get stronger and stronger on that exercise.

You could do the routine for 12 weeks, take a week off then change exercises and go again.

The point here is progressive resistance, a little more again, again and again over a period of time.

ohhhhh i see.....so i should pick something like this?

monday - chest/shoulder/tri

-flat bench - 5x5
-shoulder press - 5x5
-close grip bench - 5x5

wed - back/bi

deadlifts - 5x5
chins - 5x5
barbell rows - 5x5
barbell curls? - 5x5 ?

fri - legs

squats - 5x5

what else would i add to legs?

and is close grip bench okay? rather than dips? dips aggravate my shoulders to the point where my rotator cuffs are killing me for days...cgbp is a key movement for my tri's..

and is barbell curls 5x5 okay?

do this for 12 weeks....as soon as i can get the last 3x5 with a static weight add 5lbs the next week correct?

if any changes are needed please let me know, thanks!

sanga
10-27-08, 4:27 pm
You got it, or you could do this, I prefer it, works well-

monday -
-Deadlifts - 5x5
-barbell rows - 5x5
-Bench press - 5x5
-Shoulder press 5x5

Tues- cardio
-30 minutes walking on treadmill

wed -
-close grip presses- 5x5
-barbell curls-5x5
-standing calf raise 3x failure
-crunches 3x failure

Thurs- cardio

fri -
-squats - 5x5
-stiff legged deadlifts 5x5
-chins - 5x5

sat- cardio

npeezy
10-27-08, 5:23 pm
You got it, or you could do this, I prefer it, works well-

monday -
-Deadlifts - 5x5
-barbell rows - 5x5
-Bench press - 5x5
-Shoulder press 5x5

Tues- cardio

wed -
-close grip presses- 5x5
-barbell curls-5x5
-standing calf raise 3x failure
-crunches 3x failure

Thurs- cardio

fri -
-squats - 5x5
-stiff legged deadlifts 5x5
-chins - 5x5

sat- cardio

i think i would prefer the push pull legs method...i am doing cardio 1xday right now aways first thing in the am. what about putting some high rep calf presses and 5x5 leg presses? is that a possibility?

could i do something like this?

mon - push

-bench press 5x5
-incline bench 5x5
-shoulder press 5x5
-close grip bench 5x5

wed - pull

deadlifts 5x5
bb rows 5x5
chins 5x5
barbell curls 5x5

fri - legs

-squats 5x5
-leg press 5x5
stiff leg deads 5x5
calf press 3x20?

i like the idea of keeping SOME cardio in also...so should i continue it in the am? or do it on the 4 off days?

sanga
10-27-08, 5:34 pm
IMO there is too much hitting the chest on Monday,the idea is to use as much weight as you can and go all out on the big exercises, you can hardly hit close grip presses that hard after all the other pressing exercises, so I`d do bench only, just my opinion.

Wednesdays you have already killed biceps so why hit them with low intensity barbell curls, you should be knackered.

Friday I`d drop the leg press or deads, too much work.

Cardio you could do off days or whenever it doesn`t matter too much IMO unless you are overly heavy and need to drop a lot of bodyfat.

These are just my opinions and experience, if you want to give your idea a go then do so, you can always drop some exercises if struggling to increase weights on the bench, squat and deadlift and if your body mass doesn`t increase.

npeezy
10-27-08, 7:50 pm
man i am having a hard time with this hahaha....so i shouldnt do ANY isolation exercises at all? JUST bench press, deadlift, squat, chins, overhead shoulder presses and dips?

i am 6'1'' 210lbs and 14% bf. had it checked the other day matter of fact...so its not like im a slob that needs to lose weight, i just like the feeling i get after i do 45mins of low intensity cardio first thing in the morning...so ill keep cardio during the am since its not hurting anything...

but as for the routine...what else should i do for legs other than squats? or should i do a mixed routine rather than push pull legs?

ironshaolin
10-27-08, 8:54 pm
dude the reason you're having a hard time with this is you are thinking WAY too much into it. Seriously, take some ridalin or something because you got some bad ADD. No offense. What I see is that you have a problem with focusing on just the basics and getting hella stronger. You need to learn some discipline. Its not supposed to be fun, its supposed to be rewarding when you reap the benefits. Thats what makes it all enjoyable. If you can't settle into a program without adding this and this and doing this and that and changing your excersises daily then maybe 5x5 isn't for you. the WHOLE purpose of 5x5 is this: KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

You will make magnificent gains if you take these excersises:
bench press
clean and press or military
dips or close bench
chins
rows
deadlifts
squats
stiff leg deadlifts or glute ham raise
barbell curls

THATS IT..figure out how to split it up however you want, but I'm telling you you don't need more than that. Think about it...once you've done enough to stimulate gains in strength, what is anything else going to do? Its just going to over fatigue the muscle, making it require even more energy to repair and making your recovery time twice as long. Take up meditation or something to help cool your nerves bro.

shizz702
10-27-08, 8:57 pm
dude the reason you're having a hard time with this is you are thinking WAY too much into it. Seriously, take some ridalin or something because you got some bad ADD. No offense. What I see is that you have a problem with focusing on just the basics and getting hella stronger. You need to learn some discipline. Its not supposed to be fun, its supposed to be rewarding when you reap the benefits. Thats what makes it all enjoyable. If you can't settle into a program without adding this and this and doing this and that and changing your excersises daily then maybe 5x5 isn't for you. the WHOLE purpose of 5x5 is this: KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!

bench press
dips or close bench
chins
rows
deadlifts
squats
barbell curls

THATS IT..figure out how to split it up however you want, but I'm telling you you don't need more than that. Think about it...once you've done enough to stimulate gains in strength, what is anything else going to do? Its just going to over fatigue the muscle, making it require even more energy to repair and making your recovery time twice as long. Take up meditation or something to help cool your nerves bro.

Bro listen to this guy here, he knows what he's talking about, and I agree with everything he's saying.

Again, I recommend you do the 5x5 as is, I posted the link. Just do that as is, it's proven to work and will stimulate both strength and size gains, don't add anything, don't question it, just do it, and I guarantee you will be happy with the results.

Littlefry
10-27-08, 9:17 pm
Bro listen to this guy here, he knows what he's talking about, and I agree with everything he's saying.

Again, I recommend you do the 5x5 as is, I posted the link. Just do that as is, it's proven to work and will stimulate both strength and size gains, don't add anything, don't question it, just do it, and I guarantee you will be happy with the results.

Like shizz said the program works, the is no need to F**K with it!

shizz702
10-27-08, 9:22 pm
Like shizz said the program works, the is no need to F**K with it!

Yea and fry here know's first hand about it, look in his journey, he got his squat up to well over 400 lbs for 5 reps on it!

npeezy
10-27-08, 10:42 pm

bench press
dips or close bench
chins
rows
deadlifts
squats
barbell curls

haha im sorry guys!!

alright....those exercises look fine to me. i will do close grip bench presses for tri's since dips aggravate my elbows and rotator cuffs and i will do stiff leg deads instead of glute ham raises...

NOW...with those exercises, and doing a 3 day split 5x5....how would you guys put them into a routine? and once you give me that routine, thats what i will stick with for the winter. once i get the last 3x5 with the static weight, i will add 5lbs a week etc.

and yes, i am a hardcore headcase about this stuff...but i will learn not to be and to take it like it is....i promise.

ironshaolin
10-28-08, 10:48 am
good stuff dude, I know I can be harsh sometimes but I only wanna help. If you need a routine actually laid out, here ya go.

Monday
BB bench press: 5x5
incline DB press: 3x6-10(assistance move)
Clean and press, seated or standing military: 5x5
Close grip bench press: 4x5 (work like a 5x5, but only do 2 sets at the end)
weighted abs

Wednesday
Pullups: 5x5
deadlifts: 5x5
BB rows: 4x6
BB curls: 5x5

Friday
Squats: 5x5
leg press: 3x6-10 (assistance mover)
glute ham raise: 4x8-12
standing calf, leg press calf, or hack squat calf: whatever you want(I'll make some room for add)
weighted abs(different excersise than monday)

There ya go. First 2 sets are warmups, last 3 are work sets. Here's an example: say you're working up to a 225lb bench press. after a brief 5-10 min cardio warmup(bike, ellyptical, jump rope, etc) you would do 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 5, 5. If you do say 225x5, 4, 4, keep it at 225 until the last 3 sets are 5, 5, 5. Then add 5-10 lbs. I would add depending on how difficult it was to get the 5 reps.

Another thing: DON'T start the program with your current 5 rep max. Drop 10-20lbs off it, and build into it. You wanna project to hit your current 5 rep max by week 3 or so. So even if you could bench 225 for 5 reps now, start the program at 205 week 1, go to 215 week 2, and 225 week 3, then continue through for 8 weeks. This will train your body to complete all required reps and make it easier for your nervous system to smash those PR's. Good luck dude!

npeezy
10-28-08, 12:17 pm
good stuff dude, I know I can be harsh sometimes but I only wanna help. If you need a routine actually laid out, here ya go.

Monday
BB bench press: 5x5
incline DB press: 3x6-10(assistance move)
Clean and press, seated or standing military: 5x5
Close grip bench press: 4x5 (work like a 5x5, but only do 2 sets at the end)
weighted abs

Wednesday
Pullups: 5x5
deadlifts: 5x5
BB rows: 4x6
BB curls: 5x5

Friday
Squats: 5x5
leg press: 3x6-10 (assistance mover)
glute ham raise: 4x8-12
standing calf, leg press calf, or hack squat calf: whatever you want(I'll make some room for add)
weighted abs(different excersise than monday)

There ya go. First 2 sets are warmups, last 3 are work sets. Here's an example: say you're working up to a 225lb bench press. after a brief 5-10 min cardio warmup(bike, ellyptical, jump rope, etc) you would do 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 5, 5. If you do say 225x5, 4, 4, keep it at 225 until the last 3 sets are 5, 5, 5. Then add 5-10 lbs. I would add depending on how difficult it was to get the 5 reps.

Another thing: DON'T start the program with your current 5 rep max. Drop 10-20lbs off it, and build into it. You wanna project to hit your current 5 rep max by week 3 or so. So even if you could bench 225 for 5 reps now, start the program at 205 week 1, go to 215 week 2, and 225 week 3, then continue through for 8 weeks. This will train your body to complete all required reps and make it easier for your nervous system to smash those PR's. Good luck dude!

THANK YOU! SOUNDS AWESOME TO ME...THAT IS THE EXACT ROUTINE I WILL BE STICKING TO. SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A HEADCASE! SOMETIMES I NEED TO BE SET STRAIGHT AND HAVE SHIT LAID OUT INFRONT OF ME FOR ME LISTEN HAHA....THAT ROUTINE SOUNDS GREAT TO ME THANK YOU!

Oh ya, one other thing. Are the exercises done one after another or are they done in a circuit fashion?

ex. would i be doing chest like, bb bench, incline db, seated military, cgbp, abs? or would i do 1 set of bb bench, then 1 set of incline bb, and so on and so on and go through the exercises that way?

ironshaolin
10-28-08, 7:35 pm
think about it dude. Whats the goal of this program? How well do you think you can nail your last set of Bench press after doing 3 sets of inclines, 5 sets of military and close benches?

Littlefry
10-28-08, 9:35 pm
here's a 5x5 program that I created based off of bill stars and madcows. It has the same basic principles its just set up different with what I feel for most people will be a better set up for the assistance exercises ,as well as the 3PR days, its basic and simple but it works.

The assistance exercise are on light load days with corseponding muscle group that also indrectly works it. For example on monday you do light bench, followed by a 3x8 set of skull crushers, this way your tricpes can handle a greater load on the skull crushers, and are not pre-fatigued due to your bench that day.

I have used it with success. I was waiting to release it a bit later but these 5x5 threads keep coming up. To start though before you use my program I suggest running madcows intermediate 5x5 for 10-12 weeks then a 3-4 week deload then my program for 10-12 weeks.
Anyways here is the program:

Monday:

Heavy squat: Barbell Squat 5x5 (ramping to top set of 5 reps, adding 2.5% each week)

Medium Deads: Deadlifts 5x5 (ramping to top set of 5 reps)

Light Bench: Incline Bench Press 4x5 (first 3 sets are same as Fridays, 4th set is repeating the 3rd)

Assistance: Skull Crushers 3x8

Wednesday:

Light Squat: Barbell Squat 4x5 (first 3 sets are same as Fridays, 4th set is repeating the 3rd)

Heavy Row: Barbell Row 5x5 (ramping to top set of 5 reps, adding 2.5% each week)

Medium Bench: Barbell Bench Press 5x5 (ramping 80% max of 5 reps)

Assistance: Calf Raises 3x15

Friday:

Medium Squat: Squat 5x5 (ramping to 80% max of 5 reps)

Light Row: Barbell Row 4x5 (first 3 sets are same as Fridays, 4th set is repeating the 3rd)

Heavy Bench: Barbell Bench 5x5 (ramping to top set of 5 reps, adding 2.5% each week)

Assistance: Barbell Curls 3x8

**Abdominals are worked on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or alternating days of schedule.**

npeezy
10-29-08, 12:42 am
think about it dude. Whats the goal of this program? How well do you think you can nail your last set of Bench press after doing 3 sets of inclines, 5 sets of military and close benches?

okay, so obv. i do bench press...5x5...then move on to the next movement and then go for 5x5....got it. thanks again mang!