PDA

View Full Version : Never Quit.......EVER! - My Journey

B2ood
10-27-08, 3:44 pm
Before I crack on with my training and diet details I thought i'd start with a bit of an insight into me and why i've decided to start my journey.

I'm quite new to this site and forum but since stumbling across it last week I sit and wonder how I ever coped without it! I've found reading the many articles and posts unbelievably inspiring and motivating. I've been a long time reader on BB.com and have been lifting weights on and off for approx 2 years.

I was always the skinny guy at school and I'm talking real skinny. One particular memory sticks out when aged 15 another lad at school grabbed me round the bicep area and he was able to put his thumb and forefinger around my arm and still have room left over!!!

Since leaving school I dabbled with weights but motivation was my big downfall and I quickly lost interest. I was never entirely confident in the exercises I was doing and I always expected instant gains.... when these instant gains didn't come then I would stop training for periods up to 6 months or more!

In September 07 after many months of research i made a conscious decision to get back in the gym and train like my life depended on it. I found a 12 week programe and was determined that for these 12 weeks I would eat right, eat big and never miss a training session. My motivation for staying strong for the 12 weeks and beyond was that I had my Stag Do in Spain and Wedding in May 08 as well as a honeymoon in Mexico.

12 weeks later and I was a transformed person. I was 2 stone heavier, was bigger all over and my arms had grown to 16". My downfall this time is summed up in the following quote: "Criticism builds a bodybuilder, compliments destroys one!". Because of all attention and nice comments I was receiving I severely slacked off and although I maintained some of my gains, the definition disappeared and I gained some fat probably due to the amount of alcohol I was drinking at the time.

Now, aged 27, I'm ready to give everything. I know it's going to be a long, hard journey with pain, sweat and blood but you know what? I CAN'T WAIT!!

So after reading through the many journeys submitted by you guys I thought it's about time I gave myself a good ass kicking and start one of my own.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-27-08, 3:55 pm
I'm in bro, seems like you've got the blinders on to the bull shit around you and ready to tap into your potential. Get yours bro, Get yours.

B2ood
10-27-08, 4:33 pm
My goals are to get to 17 Stone and ideally reduce bodyfat by June 09.

For the remainder of this journey I will going to the gym on or around 1300hrs each day as I have access to an amazing gym at work. I will be training on a 4day split (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday). I will try to drink 500ml of water with meals to enable me to get the necessary amount in me throughout the day and I will list this in my diet, although I will still have the odd tea/coffee here and there which i won't list.

Stats:

Height - 6'4"
Weight - 98kg (216lbs)
Body Fat - 15% (approx) I will be getting a more accurate reading this week

Today's Diet and Timings

0610 - 400ml water
0615 - Walk dog (35 mins)
0645 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with semi skimmed milk, Bowl of Ready Brek (Oats), 3 Fish Oil Capsules, 1 Tribulus Capsule, 1 Multivitamain tablet
1000 - 2 Egg Sandwiches on "Best of Both" Bread, Handful of nuts with raisins and apricots, 500ml of water
1200 - Bowl of pasta with sweetcorn, bacon bits & light mayo, 1 Egg Sandwich on "Best of Both" Bread, Protein Shake (1 scoop) with water
1230 - 2 Inferno Capsules (Caffeine)
1300 - GYM (training details will be listed after the diet)
1505 - Protein Shake (1 scoop). 5g Creatine, 5g BCAA
1530 - Chicken Fillet, 1 can of tuna with light mayo
1620 - 500ml of water
1710 - 1 Egg Sandwich on "Best of Both" Bread, 1 Banana, 1 yoghurt
1810 - 500ml of water
1915 - Oven chips, baked beans, chicken kiev, 1 slice of cheesecake (not ideal I know!)
2030 - 500ml of water
2130 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with milk

Training - Back & Biceps

I will be using the following format when training:

1st Set - light warm up 10 Reps
2nd Set - Bit heavier 8 Reps
3rd,4th,5th Sets - Working sets 6 Reps
6th Set - no rest after 5th set using the weight from the 1st set 10 Reps

5 mins Rowing - Warm Up

Deadlifts

40kg (88lbs) - 10
80kg (176lbs) - 8
100kg (220lbs - 6 (3 sets)
40kg (88lbs) - 10

Front Pulldowns

30kg (66lbs) - 10
45kg (99lbs) - 8
80kg (176lbs) - 6 (2 sets) struggled with grip
70kg (154lbs) - 6
30kg (66lbs) - 12

Barbell Rows

Bar - 10
20kg (44lbs) - 8
25kg (55lbs) - 6 (3 sets)
Bar - 10

Dumb Bell Rows

10kg (22lbs) - 10
15kg (33lbs) - 8
20kg (44lbs) - 6 (3 sets)
10kg (22lbs) - 10

Dumb Bell Pullovers

10kg (22lbs) - 10
15kg (33lbs) - 8
20kg (44lbs) - 6 (3 sets)
10kg (22lbs) - 10

Preacher Curls (Machine)

18.18kg (40lbs) - 10
31.82kg (70lbs) - 8
50kg (110lbs) - 6 (3 sets)
18.18kg (40lbs) - 13

Incline Dumb Bell Curls

10kg (22lbs) - 10
12kg (26lbs) - 8
15kg (33lbs) - 6 (3 sets)
10kg (22lbs) - 12

Cable Curls

10kg (22lbs) - 10
12.5kg (27lbs) - 8
22.5kg (49lbs) - 6 (3 sets)
10kg (22lbs) - 10

Thoughts / Ideas / News

I really enjoyed todays session. I've never enjoyed deadlifts but today I pushed myself harder than I ever have before. I enjoyed fighting the pain and next week I fully intend to up the weight to push myself further. Since training today i've been on a high and cannot wait for tomorrows session to come round. As far as supplements are concerned payday is tomorrow and I will be ordering the following:

Maltodextrin (for my post workout shake)
Egg Whites (for my morning shake)
Pulse (a pre workout drink)
Casein (for my pre bed shake)

I really want to try Animal Test and M-Stak but will have to wait as funds are quite tight at the moment.

Please feel free to throw any ideas, questions or queries my way. Any help and advice can only make me stronger. Until tommorw............

B2ood
10-27-08, 4:36 pm
I'm in bro, seems like you've got the blinders on to the bull shit around you and ready to tap into your potential. Get yours bro, Get yours.

Thanks for checking out my journey King, any help/advice you can throw my way would be much appreciated.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-27-08, 8:18 pm
Solid workout bro. High volume with heavy sets in as well. Looks like you got a lot of back movements, if your body responds to it well then keep that goin...I'd watch how many sets your doing as well

B2ood
10-28-08, 3:56 am
Solid workout bro. High volume with heavy sets in as well. Looks like you got a lot of back movements, if your body responds to it well then keep that goin...I'd watch how many sets your doing as well

Thanks for the comments King. Do you think 6 sets is too much then? Considering sets 1,2 & 6 are quite light. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-28-08, 9:35 am
Thanks for the comments King. Do you think 6 sets is too much then? Considering sets 1,2 & 6 are quite light. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

For each exerecise. a would do 1 mayb 2 solid warmups, then 3 working sets. the last set you have there isnt really needed right now if you're trying to build up mass and strength. Even so, if you ARE trying to build up a foundation again, I'd keep the reps in the 10-15 rangge for abt a month.

Factory
10-28-08, 9:51 am
Looks like you really planned this out. Stick to the plan-

This is excessive if you're working smaller muscle groups, bi's, tri's, delts, hams, calfs could get overworked.

looks good though man- How often are you doing cardio? you're looking to cut about 20lbs (1.5 stone)

I love the cutting journeys, stick with it bro!
Sub'd

B2ood
10-28-08, 11:43 am
For each exerecise. a would do 1 mayb 2 solid warmups, then 3 working sets. the last set you have there isnt really needed right now if you're trying to build up mass and strength. Even so, if you ARE trying to build up a foundation again, I'd keep the reps in the 10-15 rangge for abt a month.

So would you suggest my working sets be upped to 10-15 reps? Maybe lose one of the warm up sets as well as the final set. Would look something like:

1st Set: light/moderate weight x 10 Reps (warm up)
2nd/3rd/4th Set: Working Sets x 10-15 Reps

I really threw in the last set to really try and squeeze every last bit of effort from the muscle i'm working.

Once again, much appreciated mate.

B2ood
10-28-08, 11:48 am
Looks like you really planned this out. Stick to the plan-

This is excessive if you're working smaller muscle groups, bi's, tri's, delts, hams, calfs could get overworked.

looks good though man- How often are you doing cardio? you're looking to cut about 20lbs (1.5 stone)

I love the cutting journeys, stick with it bro!
Sub'd

Thanks for the comments mate, much appreciated. As far as Cardio goes I have a brisk walk in the mornings with the dog for 25 minutes and on Wednesdays (Off Day) I plan to do 45 minutes incline walk on the treadmill. I also play 5-aside football (soccer) once a week for 30 minutes.

I'm actually trying to gain weight. I currently weigh 15 1/2 stone (not sure of the lb equivalent) and ideally would like to reach 17 stone - that's the initial goal anyway.

Your thoughts/ideas are most welcome.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-28-08, 11:56 am
So would you suggest my working sets be upped to 10-15 reps? Maybe lose one of the warm up sets as well as the final set. Would look something like:

1st Set: light/moderate weight x 10 Reps (warm up)
2nd/3rd/4th Set: Working Sets x 10-15 Reps

I really threw in the last set to really try and squeeze every last bit of effort from the muscle i'm working.

Once again, much appreciated mate.

Yea the sets look good like that, the point is is to maximize regrowing all your muscle groups to the point where you can start up witht the more advanced type of workouts,

B2ood
10-28-08, 12:11 pm
Yea the sets look good like that, the point is is to maximize regrowing all your muscle groups to the point where you can start up witht the more advanced type of workouts,

Cheers King. What you say makes sense. I will tweak my workout and use the 4 set method that we have spoke about and see where I am in a month or so. How did I ever cope without this site/forum? Cheers mate.

KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD
10-28-08, 12:20 pm
Cheers King. What you say makes sense. I will tweak my workout and use the 4 set method that we have spoke about and see where I am in a month or so. How did I ever cope without this site/forum? Cheers mate.

Not a problem bro. That's the beauty of this site. We are all like-minded individuals who all have the same desire and willingness to help. Train hard bro.

B2ood
10-28-08, 6:01 pm
Following some good advice from KiNgKoNgPrOnGeD I have decided to tweak my workouts from now on. I will be changing to a 4 set system as opposed to the 6 set system I am currently using. I will be doing just the one warm up set followed by three working sets. I think my previous method was a bit too much for the stage i'm currently at and I may have ended up overworking my muscles.

That said I decided to change AFTER todays workout was already finished so the Chest & Tricep workout was based on the 6 set system.

Today's diet and training went like this:

DIET

0610 - Walk Dog (25 mins)
0635 - 400ml of water
0645 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with semi skimmed milk, Bowl of Ready Brek (Oats), 3 Fish Oil Capsules, 1 Tribulus Capsule, 1 Multivit tablet
0920 - 500ml of water
0940 - Tomato & Vegetable Cup-a-Soup
1000 - 2 Egg Sandwiches on 'Best of Both' bread, Handful of nuts with raisins & apricots
1015 - 500ml of water
1200 - Bowl of pasta with sweetcorn, bacon bits & light mayo, 1 Egg sandwich, protein shake (1 scoop) with water
1240 - 2 Inferno Capusles (Caffeine)
1300 - GYM (routine to follow diet)
1505 - Protein shake (1 scoop), 5g creatine, 5g BCAA with water
1530 - Chicken Fillet, 1 can of tuna with light mayo
1730 - 500ml of water, 1 egg sandwich, 1 yoghurt, 1 Banana
1840 - 400ml of water
1900 - Coach under 12 football (soccer) team (1 hour)
2035 - 400ml of water, handful of nuts & raisins
2100 - Lasagne with garlic bread, 3 fish oil capsules
2130 - Protein shake (1 scoop) with water

Training - Chest & Triceps

Incline Barbell Press

10kg (22lbs) x 10
30kg (66lbs) x 8
50kg (110lbs) x 6 (3 sets)
10kg (22lbs) x 10

Flat Dumbbell Press

15kg (33lbs) x 10
17.5kg (38.5lbs) x 8
25kg (55lbs) x 6 (3 sets)
15kg (33lbs) x 10

Cable Crossovers

5kg (11lbs) x 10
7.5kg (16.5lbs) x 8
12.5kg (27.5lbs) x 6 (3 sets)
5kg (11lbs) x 10

Decline Dumbbell Flys

10kg (22lbs) x 10
12.5kg (27.5lbs) x 8
15kg (33lbs) x 6 (3 sets)
10kg (22lbs) x 10

Skullcrushers

5kg (11lbs) x 10
15kg (33lbs) x 8
20kg (44lbs) x 6 (3 sets)
5kg (11lbs) x 13

Cable Pushdowns

15kg x 10
20kg x 8
25kg x 6 (3 sets)
15kg x 10

Overhead Dumbbell Extension

7.5kg x 10
10kg x 8
12.5kg x 6 (3 sets) *struggled with form on last few sets
7.5kg x 4 *triceps were absolutely shattered :-)

Thoughts / Ideas / News

Really enjoyed today's workout. Pushed myself to the max especially with the triceps. Base of back, lats and top of back are sore/stiff following Mondays workout but strangely enough I'm enjoying the pain!

Good news - today is payday so i've bought some more protein, liquid egg whites and maltodextrin. Was after a pre-workout drink but funds are tight so I thought I'd stick with the essentials. Once these have been delivered they will be added to my arsenal of supplements.

Once again, your thoughts/ideas/criticisms will be most appreciated. Just to recap my initial goal is to gain 2 stone before June 09. Possible? Of course it is!!

shizz702
10-28-08, 7:37 pm
Solid work you're putting in here bro! One thing I'd suggest though is toning down on some of the volume. I'd stick with more of the compound lifts and drop some of the isolation lifts.

billyjames
10-29-08, 4:02 am
I think the original Animal Pak (http://www.10facts.com/article/Health/Supplements/AnimalPak.html) is the best if you can get it. all these M-Stak are just rip-offs.

B2ood
10-29-08, 5:49 am
Solid work you're putting in here bro! One thing I'd suggest though is toning down on some of the volume. I'd stick with more of the compound lifts and drop some of the isolation lifts.

Shizz. Thanks for checking out my journey mate. Much appreciated! I'm gonna finish off the week with the exercises/sets that i've planned then if you could have a look over and see what you think then, that would be great. Big fan of your writing by the way - i give one or two of your pieces a read before the gym, gets me in the right frame of mind.

B2ood
10-29-08, 5:53 am
I think the original Animal Pak (http://www.10facts.com/article/Health/Supplements/AnimalPak.html) is the best if you can get it. all these M-Stak are just rip-offs.

Thanks for the advice Billy. Was looking to use M-Stak following a course of Animal Test. Read that was the best stack to use. Have you any experience of Test? What benefits do you personally gain from Animal Pak? Can't really afford either at the moment so want to make a good educated decision for when I do have the cash.

shizz702
10-29-08, 9:06 am
Shizz. Thanks for checking out my journey mate. Much appreciated! I'm gonna finish off the week with the exercises/sets that i've planned then if you could have a look over and see what you think then, that would be great. Big fan of your writing by the way - i give one or two of your pieces a read before the gym, gets me in the right frame of mind.

I'll be following along here bro. I'd be more than happy to look things over, just drop me a line whenever your ready. And I really appreciate the support with my writing bro, means a lot!

On Letting Go
10-29-08, 9:23 am
Keep up the good work bro. I'll be following along with you.

B2ood
10-29-08, 10:53 am
I'll be following along here bro. I'd be more than happy to look things over, just drop me a line whenever your ready. And I really appreciate the support with my writing bro, means a lot!

Nice one Shizz. Damn this forum keeps me motivated. Love it!

B2ood
10-29-08, 10:55 am
Keep up the good work bro. I'll be following along with you.

Thanks a lot mate. Much appreciated - don't be afraid to throw any advice/help my way, it's all good. Knowledge is power! I'll be checking out your journey shortly.

B2ood
10-29-08, 2:45 pm
Anyone who feel they are lacking inspiration, feel like they haven't got the energy or motivation to get down the gym today should check this out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI&feature=related

It will be the best 10 minutes you have ever spent!

B2ood
10-29-08, 5:54 pm
Today was my first 'Off' day so I thought i'd enjoy my break from the weights by.......going down the gym! Just can't stay away!

I wanted to do some cardio today as well as work on the abs a little bit. The thing about cardio is that i have read many different versions of whether it should or should not be done when bulking. A few of the different versions i have read are:

1) You shouldn't do cardio when bulking. Why risk the weight you have worked hard to put on.
2) Do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to shed the fat but maintain muscle
3) Do low intensity for a long period.

I opted for number 3 in the end but I do welcome your views on what you feel works best when bulking.

Today's Diet and Training went like this:

DIET

0610 - 400ml water
0615 - Walk dog (30 mins)
0650 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with semi skimmed milk, Bowl of Ready Brek (Oats), 3 Fish Oil Capsules, 1 Tribulus Capsule, 1 Multivitamain tablet
0910 - 500ml of water, 1 Banana, Grapes
1000 - 2 Egg Sandwiches on "Best of Both" Bread, Handful of nuts
1120 - 500ml of water
1200 - Bowl of pasta with sweetcorn, bacon bits & light mayo, 1 Egg Sandwich on "Best of Both" Bread, Protein Shake (1 scoop) with water
1415 - Protein Shake (1 scoop). 5g Creatine, 5g BCAA
1440 - Chicken Fillet, 1 can of tuna with light mayo
1500 - 500ml of water
1700 - 1 Egg Sandwich on "Best of Both" Bread, 1 Banana, 1 yoghurt, 1 Sausage Roll
1845 - 400ml of water
1940 - Salmon en Croute, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoe, 3 Fish Oil Capsules
2130 - 500ml of water
2200 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with milk and 2 tablespoons of Safflower Oil

TRAINING - Cardio & Abs

Treadmill
35 Mins @ 4km/h at a 10% gradient

Medicine Ball Push Up Crunches
7kg x 15 (3 Sets)

Decline Situps
15 Reps (2 Sets)
30 Reps (1 Set)

Thoughts / Ideas / News

As you may of noticed I have bought some Safflower oil and I am now adding this to my morning and evening protein shakes. It's such as easy way to get extra calories in your diet without eating more food. All you do is simply add 2 tablespoonfuls of safflower oil to each of your protein drinks. Safflower oil is a very healthy oil and has a bland taste so you will hardly even notice it in your protein drinks. 2 tablespoonfuls of oil equals 250 calories. If you do this a couple times per day that is an extra 500 calories per day without having to eat more food!

I weighed myself today and the official weight came in at 99kg/218lbs/15.5 Stone. I will be having my body fat taken tomorrow so hopefully I can put together my stats as of tomorrow including biceps, shoulders etc...

As always your thoughts are most welcome especially on cardio whilst bulking.

Legs training tomorrow.......BRING IT ON!!!

shizz702
10-29-08, 5:58 pm
Healthy oils are an excellent source of convenient calories, I add olive oil in my shakes so you're definitely on the right track there. Kill them legs tomorrow!

B2ood
10-29-08, 6:04 pm
Healthy oils are an excellent source of convenient calories, I add olive oil in my shakes so you're definitely on the right track there. Kill them legs tomorrow!

Can't wait for my liquid egg whites and Casein to arrive so I can improve my diet further.

Gonna be all over them squats tomorrow!!!!

shizz702
10-29-08, 7:15 pm
Gonna be all over them squats tomorrow!!!!

Nothing will pay greater dividends to your physique than the squat! Squat deep and heavy bro!

B2ood
10-30-08, 11:55 am
Just got back from the gym and today I learnt a harse lesson. I usually post my journal and diet at the end of the day but I just had to get this off my chest.

The lesson I learned is: There is a whole world of difference between the Smiths Machine and Free Weight Squats.

About six months ago my Bone Marrow came up as a perfect match for a 9 year old boy who had Leukemia. Following the transplant op I was out of action for about a month with severe pains in the lower back where they had taken the Marrow from. Anyway once I was able to, I got back in the gym and my entire squat exercises were on the Smiths Machine. At one point I got up to 140kg (308lbs) using good form (or so I thought). Now imagine my surprise today when i put 80kg (176lbs) on the free weights bar and my whole world nearly drops out my ass tryin to push it back up!!!

Once I got over the initial shock I pushed a further 6 reps out but dropped it to 70kg (154lbs) so I could push 2 more sets of 10 out which were still tough!

I've always prided myself on my leg strength but todays squats was a real kick in the teeth. I tried to turn a negative into a positive and used the frustration and anger to really push myself on the rest of the leg work out.

At least I know where I am now as far as the squat is concerened and I guess now the only way is up. I'm gonna keep adding plates to the bar each week until....... until i'm happy then guess what, i'm gonna add more plates!!!!

I feel like a personal war has started between me and the squat rack!!!!

Factory
10-30-08, 12:13 pm
I feel like a personal war has started between me and the squat rack!!!!

It's probably the best war you'll ever wage. Just remember to squad super deep, keep your back straight, and look UP! looking up helps a lot of people with form. And deep squats really help your squat strength.

Ass-to-grass baby

shizz702
10-30-08, 12:29 pm
Ditch the smith and stick with the free weights bro. The free squat is better and harder because it isn't locked in a fixed range of motion and you have to balance the bar. Don't worry about putting up big weight right now just focus on form and consistently add weight on the bar whenever possible.

B2ood
10-30-08, 2:29 pm
It's probably the best war you'll ever wage. Just remember to squad super deep, keep your back straight, and look UP! looking up helps a lot of people with form. And deep squats really help your squat strength.

Ass-to-grass baby

Thanks for the advice mate.

B2ood
10-30-08, 2:31 pm
Ditch the smith and stick with the free weights bro. The free squat is better and harder because it isn't locked in a fixed range of motion and you have to balance the bar. Don't worry about putting up big weight right now just focus on form and consistently add weight on the bar whenever possible.

Yeah i'm not going back to the Smith. Free weights all the way! Just watched your squatting video. I like the idea of putting the bench in the rack and going down to that. I guess it's another way of making sure each rep stays consistent as well as being another safety measure.

shizz702
10-30-08, 2:51 pm
Yeah i'm not going back to the Smith. Free weights all the way! Just watched your squatting video. I like the idea of putting the bench in the rack and going down to that. I guess it's another way of making sure each rep stays consistent as well as being another safety measure.

Yea they are also harder that way, since you have to squat the bar back up from a dead pause. Give em a try!

Factory
10-30-08, 2:53 pm
Box squats are good, but MAKE SURE you keep your ATG squats, nothing blasts your legs more.

shizz702
10-30-08, 3:06 pm
Box squats are good, but MAKE SURE you keep your ATG squats, nothing blasts your legs more.

I agree, nothing beats an ATG squat.

B2ood
10-30-08, 3:09 pm
Thanks for the advice on squats guys. How often do you vary the different versions of squats?

shizz702
10-30-08, 3:19 pm
Thanks for the advice on squats guys. How often do you vary the different versions of squats?

It really just depends. One training cycle I'll do box squats, the other I do below parrallel squats. Whatever you do just make sure they are deep.

B2ood
10-31-08, 5:47 am
Well here it is 'The Dreaded Day'. Today was legs and I was quite looking forward to the workout but as you can see from my previous post I ended up a bit disappointed with my efforts on the squat. Not to worry I used it to my advantage and channeled the frustration into smashing my legs on other exercises.

I also had my bodyfat measured today and before hand I was expecting somewhere between 17-23%. Turned out to be 15.9% so better then expected. I'm hoping to post all my stats at some point over the weekend but at the moment the only accurate ones I have are:

Height: 6'4" / 194cm
Weight: 99kg / 15.6stone / 218lbs
Bodyfat: 15.9%

Todays Diet and Training

DIET

0615 - 400ml water
0620 - Walk dog (40 mins)
0715 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with semi skimmed milk & 2 tablespoons of Safflower oil, Bowl of Ready Brek (Oats), 3 Fish Oil Capsules, 1 Tribulus Capsule, 1 Multivitamain tablet
0930 - 500ml of water, 1 Egg Sandwich, 1 Sausage Roll
1000 - 2 Egg Sandwiches on "Best of Both" Bread, Handful of dried fruit with hazlenuts & almonds
1055 - 500ml of water
1200 - Bowl of pasta with sweetcorn, bacon bits & light mayo, 3 slices of chicken, Protein Shake (1 scoop) with water
1505 - Protein Shake (1 scoop). 5g Creatine, 5g BCAA with water
1545 - Chicken Fillet, 1 can of tuna with light mayo, 1 Banana
1605 - 500ml of water
1730 - 1 Egg Sandwich on "Best of Both" Bread, 1 yoghurt, Protein Shake (1 scoop) with milkl
1840 - Chicken Burger on 'Best of Both' Bread with lettuce, Onion Rings & Oven chips, 400ml of blackcurrant, 3 fish oil capsules
2355 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with milk and 2 tablespoons of Safflower Oil

TRAINING - Legs

Warmup - Rowing Machine
5mins

SQUATS
40kg (88lbs) x 10 (warm up)
80kg (176lbs) x 7
70kg (154lbs) x 10 (2 sets)

LEG PRESS
70kg (154lbs) x 10 (warm up)
140kg (308lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

LEG EXTENSION
30kg (66lbs) x 10 (warm up)
60kg (132lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

STIFF LEGGED DEAD LIFTS
45kg (99lbs) x 10 (1 set)
50kg (110lbs) x 10 (1 set)
55kg (121lbs) x 10 (1 set)
*This was a new exercise to me so wasn't sure where I stood in terms of what weight I could lift so I progressively moved up with each set. Felt like I could do a lot more.

LYING LEG CURL
15kg (33lbs) x 10 (warm up)
30kg (66lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

LEG PRESS CALF RAISE
10kg (22lbs) x 10 (warm up)
40kg (88lbs) x 10 (1 set)
60kg (132lbs) x 10 (1 set)
80kg (176lbs) x 10 (1 set)
*Again this was another new exercise to me so unsure of starting weight. Can definetley do more!

SEATED CALF RAISE
40kg (88lbs) x 10 (1 set)
50kg (110lbs) x 10 (1 set)

Thoughts / Ideas / News

Protein, Casein & Egg whites haven't turned up which i'm annoyed about cos I had my last scoop of protein this morning. Kept some aside for pre/post workout today though.

I've got a friend who is going to Iraq for 4 months on Saturday so lat night we had a few leaving drinks with her. Quite proud of myself that I stuck by my decision to drive and only drink soft drinks. A month ago I would have been the first person at the bar getting a beer. Got a Halloween party tonight and fully intend to stay away from the alcohol again. Like I said to my wife if i'm gonna do this then I want to do it right. There's no point training hard then getting drunk!! I may slip up occasionally with the odd meal but at least my body can still take the good things from a bad meal, there is nothing good in alcohol for the body to use. Shoulders today then 2 days of rest/growing over the weekend.

Damn my legs are sore!

B2ood
11-01-08, 2:13 pm
DIET

0610 - 400ml water
0615 - Walk dog (40 mins)
0705 - Protein Shake (1 scoop) with semi skimmed milk & 2 tablespoons of Safflower oil, Bowl of Ready Brek (Oats), 3 Fish Oil Capsules, 1 Tribulus Capsule, 1 Multivitamain tablet
1000 - 2 Egg Sandwiches on "Best of Both" Bread, Handful of dried fruit with hazlenuts & almonds, 1 Banana, 500ml of water
1100 - Tomato & Vegetable cup-a-soup
1135 - 500ml of water
1200 - 1 Jacket Potato, 1 can of baked beans, protein shake (1 scoop) with water
1530 - Protein Shake (1 scoop). 5g Creatine, 5g BCAA with water
1605 - Chicken Fillet, 1 can of tuna with light mayo, 1 Banana
1715 - 3 Egg sandwiches on "Best of Both" Bread, 1 yoghurt
1245 - Casein Protein (1 scoop) with 2 tablespoons safflower oil with milk

TRAINING - Shoulders

Warm Up - 5-a-side football (soccer) 60mins

STANDING BARBELL MILITARY PRESS
10kg (22lbs) x 10 (warmup)
20kg (44lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

SIDE DUMBBELL LAT RAISES (SEATED)
7.5kg (16.5lbs) x 10 (warmup)
10kg (22lbs) x 10 (3 sets) *felt strong, need to up weights next week

BENT CABLE REAR DELT RAISE
5kg (11lbs) x 10 (warmup)
7.5kg (16.5lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

FRONT DUMBBELL RAISE
7.5kg (16.5lbs) x 10 (warmup)
10kg (22lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

BARBELL SHRUG
40kg (88lbs) x 10 (warmup)
80kg (176lbs) x 10 (3 sets)

DUMBBELL SHRUG
17.5kg (38.5lbs) x 10 (warmup)
25kg (55lbs) x 10 (sets)

Thoughts / Ideas / News

I now have my Casein, Maltodextrin and egg whites so I can improve my diet further which i'm happy about. Once I have enough cash i'm gonna try the Animal Test and M-Stak.

As far as training went today I was quite happy with my efforts but felt I could have done more had I not played football (soccer) for an hour. I would like to know what people's thoughts are on doing something like that at that intensity as a warmup.

So that's the end of my first week and I have really enjoyed pushing myself and look forward to the challenge next week where I will up the wieghts or reps. All in all everything has gone to plan, trained hard, eat well and had opportunities where normally I would have had alcohol but stuck to the soft drinks. The journey continues........

B2ood
11-02-08, 2:59 pm
The first of my rest/growing days after my first week of hard training and eating 95% right. This morning I didn't get out of bed until mid-day I was that tired, but I listened to my body and enjoyed the extra rest!!

DIET

1200 - 500ml of water
1215 - 2 Sausage sandwiches, Protein shake (1 scoop) with 4 egg whites and 2 table spoons of safflower oil with semi-skimmed milk, 3 Fish oil capsules, 1 Tribulus capsule, 1 multivit tablet
1240 - Bowl of Oats
1345 - 500ml of water
1600 - 4 egg omlette with ham & cheese, 1 beef steak
1820 - Beef, noodles, red & green pepper, mushrooms, protein shake (1 scoop) with semi-skimmed milk
2145 - Chicken Teriyaki subway with onion & sweetcorn
2240 - Casein protein shake (1 scoop) with 2 table-spoons safflower oil

B2ood
11-02-08, 4:53 pm
Another rest/growing day.

DIET

1000 - Bowl of oats, protein shake (1 scoop) with 4 egg whites, 2 tablespoons safflower oil with semi-skimmed milk, 3 fish oil capsules, 1 Tribulus capsule, 1 multivit capsule
1200 - 500ml of water
1330 - Baked beans & pork sausages on 'best of both' toast
1600 - Roast turkey dinner (turkey, carrots, potatoes, peas, green beans), breaded garlic mushrooms
1830 - 400ml of water
1920 - Protein shake (1 scoop) with water
2100 - Bowl of oats
2150 - Casein Protein shake (1 scoop), 2 tablespoons safflower oil with semi skimmed milk

Week 2 starts tomorrow...............

B2ood
11-05-08, 2:47 pm
Following the completion of my first week of training I asked Shizz to cast an eye over my diet and training routine.

He asked about my experience and goals and it became apparent that not only were there far too many exercises in my routine many of the exercises would not be beneficial to my overall goal.

As my goal is to get to 17 stone which would need me to gain 1.5 stone (20lbs) Shizz pointed me in the direction of the "Squats and Milk" programme. It looks brutal but i'm gonna do it!

So this is the end of this journey and I plan to start another detailing each step of my progress of the "S&M" programme. I've noticed there are a lot of people asking about this programme on bb.com so hopefully my journal can serve as a good reference point for those guys.

Thanks to those guys, especially Shizz who gave advice on this early stage of my journal.