PDA

View Full Version : keto and coffee

miketyson789
10-27-08, 9:38 pm
watup guys,
so ya im starting a keto diet, and was wondering if i could drink a few cups of coffee a day or tea to keep my energy up. i have a pretty physical job and ill need something to get me through the first couple of days while transitioning to keto. would taking in caffiene ruin the keto process?

sanga
10-28-08, 4:18 am
Black coffee or tea without sugar is fine mate. I have no more than 3 cups a day.

GJN5002
10-28-08, 7:52 am
I think you should be fine just dont overdo it, i think there is a linl between excess caffeine consumption and raised cortisol levels. It doesnt have to be black coffee. Use some splenda or equal and look at the label on the creamer to find one that is very low carb. I used heavy whipping cream for a while.

sanga
10-28-08, 7:53 am
Not low carb, zero carb.

GJN5002
10-28-08, 8:05 am
Not low carb, zero carb.

Ive used heavy whipping cream with 1 g of carbs and it didnt hurt me. Granted you cant use some flavored stuff with 9g of sugar.

sanga
10-28-08, 8:47 am
Ok if its a one off per day fine but start using splenda and the like all day long and you have a problem.

Factory
10-28-08, 9:28 am
keep it BLACK no sugars and yes you can indulge yourself with some coffee.

IronWilson
10-28-08, 10:08 am
just be careful about how much caffeine you consume, but yeah coffee is good.

GJN5002
10-28-08, 10:49 am
I dont know why everyone is so paranoid to use splenda and a small bit of very low carb creamer. I did keto for about 2.5 months last summer and drank 3-4 cups of coffee everyday equaling 3-5 splendas and 2-3 tbsps of creamer and it never kicked me out of ketosis. There are studies showing splenda and artificial sweeteners have an sugar mimicing effect on some people insulin levels but not everyone. Try it and see. I am not advising you to have 20 packs of splenda and a pint of creamer. But a small bit wont effect you.

simpleguy
10-28-08, 11:12 am
coffee is fine, even 2-3 cups a day if you don't use a thermogenic...

I guess people react to carbs differently, but I, much like gjn, never had a problem with splenda kicking me out of ketosis, just keep it in moderation... even Palumbo says it's ok (up to 5 packs per day)

sanga
10-28-08, 11:14 am
Which is moderation Pizza mate, moderation, a lot of people don`t realise this and pile it onto everything.

simpleguy
10-28-08, 11:17 am
Which is moderation Pizza mate, moderation, a lot of people don`t realise this and pile it onto everything.

you meant SG mate I think... lol no worries... yeah I specified 5 packs per day, as I read in Dave's thread over at MD

sanga
10-28-08, 11:28 am
Lol, yeah mate I did, been reading pizzas posts too elsewhere and got mixed up.

WildGrizzly
10-29-08, 1:46 pm
I think you should be fine just dont overdo it, i think there is a linl between excess caffeine consumption and raised cortisol levels. It doesnt have to be black coffee. Use some splenda or equal and look at the label on the creamer to find one that is very low carb. I used heavy whipping cream for a while.

Dave Palumbo doesn't advice use of splenda you should find a sweetener with aspartame only

GJN5002
10-29-08, 2:08 pm
Dave Palumbo doesn't advice use of splenda you should find a sweetener with aspartame only

I never said he did. He favors stevia. There are different theories about keto diets, not just Palumbos.