PDA

View Full Version : Lower back hurts while doing decline bench sit-ups?

Jormungand
10-27-08, 11:05 pm
Just wondering if that is normal or if I just have really bad form? I am just starting my workout program and haven't been doing it for long but on ab days my lower back absolutly kills when I do sit-ups. It seems as if I am lifting myself up with my lower back rather then my abs. Just wondering if this is normal for a beginer like me and will go away as more ab stength forms or is something wrong?

Thanks.

Cellerator65
10-27-08, 11:22 pm
try to keep your abs tight throughout the whole motion, not just going up.

hardhit71
10-27-08, 11:23 pm
Just wondering if that is normal or if I just have really bad form? I am just starting my workout program and haven't been doing it for long but on ab days my lower back absolutly kills when I do sit-ups. It seems as if I am lifting myself up with my lower back rather then my abs. Just wondering if this is normal for a beginer like me and will go away as more ab stength forms or is something wrong?

Thanks.

Your lower back hurting is completely normal but if youre looking for more of a pump in your abs try flexing and squeezing them while doing crunches,situps,etc... especially when you curling inward.

musclealchemist
10-27-08, 11:26 pm
hold your breath on the way up, as a way to keep your abs tight. My back too hurts sometimes when i do decline bench sit ups. Just keep your abs tight and you will be fine.

PrimaI
10-28-08, 4:19 pm
Decline Situps are pretty bad on your back, isn't there something else you can do for abs? Like Kicks or weighted work. I can't remember where I heard it but decline sit-ups are 'notorious' for causing back pain.

GJN5002
10-29-08, 11:05 am
stop doing them. If it hurts its probably not good (keep in mind I mean bad pain not this is hard to do pain). Find ab excercise that dont hurt and do them. You probably have a muscular imbalance or some back issues that needs orted out.

IRN-NML
10-29-08, 12:56 pm
Don't care for them; even though there's a good pic doing them with a plate on ANIMAL'S main page. I see guys going all the way back and then fwd; there shouldn't be that much range of motion.

One thing you can learn from the info commercials for a piece of ab crap machinery; in all cases, there isn't that much range of motion; the intent is to work your abs; not your back.

Naturally Huge
10-29-08, 2:04 pm
You're training your psoas and iliopsoas muscles (hip flexors) when you do any type of sit-up and leg raise. Quit doing them and do crunches and reverse crunches.

Aggression
10-29-08, 4:30 pm
Don't care for them; even though there's a good pic doing them with a plate on ANIMAL'S main page. I see guys going all the way back and then fwd; there shouldn't be that much range of motion.

One thing you can learn from the info commercials for a piece of ab crap machinery; in all cases, there isn't that much range of motion; the intent is to work your abs; not your back.

True. Too many people flatten out their back on decline crunches, causing more harm than good. Control the movement with your ABS!, not your lower back, legs, hips, w/e.