PDA

View Full Version : Life So Far...

Senny
10-28-08, 8:09 am
Well where to start. I am pretty new around here, posting wise. I have been reading the forvm for quite a while but never really posted anything. I thought it was about time to post something and give you an insight into my world.

I'm 23 years old. I have always been a big lad, bigger than most and not in a good way either. At the start of this year I decided it was time to change all of that. I started off with a moderate calorie deficiet just to get my body weaned off of soft drinks, junk food and the simple sugars it didn't need. I substituted soft drinks for water. Junk food for clean protein rich food.

I joined a gym with a couple friends. They had different goals in mind as they were trying to gain mass where I was trying to lose mass. It's all good though cause there is plenty of motivation to go around.

I don't really know what weight I started off at but I am damn sure it was well over 350LBS. As it stands today I am down to around 266LBS and still dropping. My strength is increasing as my waist line is decreasing. I will show you a sample daily diet that I indulge in.

9:00 AM - 45G porridge oats, 310 ML semi-skimmed milk, 1/2 scoop chocolate whey protein, Animal Pak
11:30 AM - 8oz natural fat free yogurt, banana added in
1:45 PM - Chicken breast and garden peas, Animal Flex
4:00 PM - Apple and a protein shake
5:45 PM - Animal Pump
6:15 PM - Workout
8:30 PM - 6 Large Omega 3 Egg Omellete with onions, mushrooms
10:30 PM - Protein, milk, yogurt smoothie
10:45 PM - BED

Now thats just a small look into what I do daily. For my dinner I sometimes have Fish and vegetables, pasta with mince(ground beef) or any other combonation that sounds appealing.

As for my workouts, at the moment we have changed it up to be 2 days all over body and 2 days strength. It looks something like this.

Monday - Manmakers - 5 rounds for time
- Tabata Sprints - Minimum 2 rounds, Maximum 3 rounds

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday - Biceps/Triceps/Back(Working opposing muscle groups)
- 21's with barbell supersetted with skullcrushers(3x15)
- Dips (3xFailure)
- Standing Dumbbell Curls(3x15)
- T-Bar(3x15)
- Dumbbell Bent Over Row

Thursday - Off

Friday - Big 5's
- 5 Exercises done immediately after each other, 5 reps per exercise
- Exercises are: Upright Row, Bent Over Row, Push Press, Squat, Cleand and Press
- Weight for exercises stays the same for each, 40Kg. May not sound alot but after 3 rounds it starts to get damn heavy.
- 5 rounds done for time, trying to beat previous weeks time
- After each round 10 pushups and 10 box jumps are included before next round starts
- Tabata Sprints, Minimum 2 rounds, Maximum 3 rounds

Saturday - Off

Sunday - Chest/Shoulders/Legs(Working Opposing Muscle Groups)
-Flat Barbell Bench(3x15)
-Inclince Barbell Bench(3x15)
-Cable Cross Overs(3x15)
-Seated Shoulder ress(3x15)
-Barbell Shrugs(3x15, 2 second pause at the top)
-Dumbbell Lateral Raises(3x15, pause at the top)
-Seated Leg Extension(3x60,40,20)
-Lying Leg Curl(3x60,40,20)
-Standing Calf Raises(3xFailure)

This is the routine is what I am on just now and will likely change in the next couple of weeks. This is a progression from my previous routine which included more compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, clean and press. They will likey be added back into the routine soon but I am going on holiday in a few weeks and we didn't want to wind up causing injury this late into it.

Well now you have seen what I am doing and where I have come from. I heard about Animal supplements when I first started and had a go with them, and I enjoyed using them. I went on to try different ones to test the waters so to speak but inevitabley I have come back to using Animal.

Factory
10-28-08, 9:35 am
Looks good, I'm liking the compound lifts. How often are you doing cardio bro?

Keep too it and you'll go far.
Sub'd

Senny
10-28-08, 9:43 am
I count the tabatta sprints as my cardio. Its treadmill based. 5 minute warmup with light pace, then onto the sprints. 20 seconds all out sprinting, 10 seconds off(either resting to lower heartrate/grab breath back, or doing kettlebell cleans), then repeat for 8 sprints. That would be 4 minutes total work when you have the 20/10 split. Then take 1 full minute off to recover breath and lower heart rate again.

After the minute repeat the cycle again. Try for a maximum of 3 full rounds of this which in total would be about 16 minutes of work with 5 minutes warmup and 5 minutes cool down. With the 1 minute rests inbetween it would be around 25 minutes in total.

Factory
10-28-08, 9:53 am
I count the tabatta sprints as my cardio. Its treadmill based. 5 minute warmup with light pace, then onto the sprints. 20 seconds all out sprinting, 10 seconds off(either resting to lower heartrate/grab breath back, or doing kettlebell cleans), then repeat for 8 sprints. That would be 4 minutes total work when you have the 20/10 split. Then take 1 full minute off to recover breath and lower heart rate again.

After the minute repeat the cycle again. Try for a maximum of 3 full rounds of this which in total would be about 16 minutes of work with 5 minutes warmup and 5 minutes cool down. With the 1 minute rests inbetween it would be around 25 minutes in total.

HIIT sprints are great. How often do you do them, how many times a week?

Senny
10-28-08, 10:00 am
I started off doing them 2 times a week and gradually built up to 4 times a week as of now so I can fully use up my energy stores after doing my lifts. Feel like shit when doing them but feel great afterwards.

Factory
10-28-08, 10:03 am
I started off doing them 2 times a week and gradually built up to 4 times a week as of now so I can fully use up my energy stores after doing my lifts. Feel like shit when doing them but feel great afterwards.

Keep the hunger bro.

Senny
10-30-08, 7:47 am
Had a pretty good day yesterday. Hit the gym around 6:15 after work and did my lifting and cardio. It was a bicep/tricep day so was quite enjoyable.

Biceps - 21's(Supersetted)
1xwarmup bar
1xwarmup bar+10Kg
1x21(20KG + bar)
1x21(22.5KG + bar)
1x21(25KG + bar)

Triceps - Pulldowns(Supersetted with biceps)
1xwarmup bar
1xwarmup bar + 12.5KG
1x15(15KG + bar)
1x15(17.5KG + bar)
1x15(17.5KG + bar)

Biceps - Cable Curls
1xwarmup(20 Pin)
1xwarmup(30 Pin)
3x15(40 Pin)

Triceps - Close Grip Bench
1xwarmup(30KG)
1xwarmup(40KG)
1x15(50KG)
1x15(55KG)
1x15(60KG)

Abs - Jacknifes
3xfailure

Abs - Medicine Ball Throw
3xfailure using 8KG medicine ball

Cardio - HIIT Sprints
5 minutes warmup light pace
4 minutes work at 20 seconds sprint, 10 seconds rest
1 full minute rest
Repeatx3
5 minutes cooldown light pace

Stretching

Thats pretty much what I did yesterday. Was pretty good, felt really good after it. Knackered but good all the same. :)

Senny
03-27-09, 6:22 am
[...]As it stands today I am down to around 266LBS and still dropping.[...]

I have neglected this thread because I've been that busy with work and the gym I didn't really have time to keep it as up-to-date as I'd have liked.

I guess I do have an update or two that I could fire into this thread. Well as you can see 5 months ago I was 266LBS, yesterday I was down to 222.5LBS. So yer, pretty consistent progress so far. I am probably looking to come down to about 200 and then see whats happening from there, even possibly going further to around 190 depending on how I look at 200.

At the moment I am currently following the AoM Training Split 5 to good effect. My dead lifts have increased from 120Kg x 2 at the start of the program to 160Kg x 2 as of last week. Today is another back day so will be looking to continue the progress on the deadlifts. Squats have been going well as well, went from being at 100kg x 2 to being at 125kg x 2 so progress is coming along nicely.

I haven't really been able to bench much because at the start of the program my left rotator cuff started to give me alot of problems. My left shoulder not "clicks" when I do certain movements and if I put my fingers into the joint I can feel a sort of crunching feeling where as on the opposite shoulder there isn't that same feeling. I have been to the docs about it but my range of motion according to her is fine and it was most likely "inflammation". I understand that this was probably the case when it first happened but I still think there is underlying damage. When my next pay check comes in I will be going to see a sports physio to see if they can give me a better understanding of whats wrong and give me any way to clear it up. The pain is gone but the clicking is unnerving, I do shoulder dislocations to try and work on the flexability my shoulder allows.

Supplements have changed slighty, still taking Pak but have added in Torrent, Storm, BCAA 2000, fish oil caps and EAA Nitro. Take pak, fish oil, storm and BCAA 2000 every day. I Torrent after a weightlifting session and EAA Nitro after my cardio only days. I have only just started with the BCAA's and EAA but have read good things about them both so hoping to see good results.