PDA

View Full Version : Taco Casserole

Toni69
10-28-08, 8:47 am
Ok..Im gonna start passing the recipes on to you guys again now that im settled in here in jersey and back in the kitchen on a daily basis. I have been asked to post more recipes so here we go..this one is great for those ona budget, its easy to make just a bit of prep work involved but well worth it.

1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced (can used bottled)
1 1/2-2lbs ground turkey or chicken breast (can use beef too)
Refried Beans (fat free)
Enchilada Sauce, divided (canned, red)
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese or mexican blend cheese
1 small can diced green chiles
jalapenos, minced are optional
chopped scallions and olives to garnish (optional)

Heat chicken broth in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add turkey, and cook over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the Refried Beans and 1/2 cup of Enchilada Sauce; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Spread 1/4 cup Enchilada Sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (a round casserole dish works best) coated with pam. drizzle a bit of sauce on top of tortillas; overlapping tortillas, in baking dish. Top with half of meat/bean mixture and drizzle with more enchilada Sauce, then sprinkle with some cheese. Repeat and arrange tortillas, overlapping as such in layers like you would a lasagna. Dont layer over the top of your casserole dish. The last layer should be topped with shredded cheese, some chopped scallions, jalapenos and olives if you want.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. This is even better 2-3 days later!

McFly
10-28-08, 9:06 am
looks familiar.....YUM

Toni69
10-28-08, 9:10 am
I just noticed I added a similar one in the recipes thread too, LOL. I forgot to mention..you can season the meat however you want. I like using 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4-1/2 tsp ground coriander and a pinch of red pepper flakes. So you add these spices after you add the meat in the broth..oh...if you dont have broth, you can use 1/2 cup any beer you have in the fridge. So that works great ..you cook with half a beer and drink the rest as your cooking your dinner, LOL.

yea...Mcfly is my guinea pig..he taste tests my recipes, LOL.

jer
10-28-08, 3:51 pm
Mmmmm.....that sounds pretty tasty.

I'll have to try it.

JUGGERNAUT
10-28-08, 4:00 pm
Terrific! After all the time it took me to clean up the drool from your past recipe posts, now you are back at it. I need to buy a wet/dry shop vac!

Toni69
10-28-08, 4:05 pm
Terrific! After all the time it took me to clean up the drool from your past recipe posts, now you are back at it. I need to buy a wet/dry shop vac!

now that made me laugh! LOL...yes..I will back in the kitchen so I will be posting my recipes for you all.