PDA

View Full Version : keto and health

miketyson789
10-28-08, 11:53 am
i used the search and couldnt find anything on this,
i was wondering if anyone knew if keto diets are bad for health,
or are there any article on this topic.
to me it seems like lots of fat and no carbs is unhealthy.
also can i eat cheese on a keto diet with my eggs?

GJN5002
10-28-08, 11:58 am
You should read through oxs stable hes the keto king around here. I dont think it is unhealthy and infact many people who have blood tests done will see hdl go up an ldl go down. But keep in mind, there are good fats and bad fats.

sanga
10-28-08, 11:59 am
You say it seems unhealthy to you but you are going on it anyway? lol

Trans fats are rubbish, good fats found in nuts, whole eggs etc are what you need, you need protein and good fats to grow, repair and recover, on the contrary your body does not need carbs!!

I suggest you go onto OXs thread and read it all from start to finish, you will have most of your questions answered there,

Cheese in very small quantities if ok from time to time but not recommended.

GJN5002
10-28-08, 11:59 am
and yes to cheese and eggs. look at the package if theres zero carbs you can eat it. Eggs are a staple in my keto diet.

miketyson789
10-28-08, 12:06 pm
thx for the advice, ill read ox's thread

barischeg
10-28-08, 12:15 pm
being in ketosis does alter your body ph levels. making it more acidic causing acidosis..
it can be argued that it might be bad for your bodily enzymatic function because certain enzymes in the body activate at very specific pHs. But my biggest concern would be to doing this diet in the long run might have unhealthy effects because ur not eating fruits and low amounts of vegetables..

as we all know fruits and vegetables have antioxidants, polyphenols, phytochemicals taht are very beneficial to ur health, and that where i got my conclusion that it might not be too good for you to follow this diet for a long time..

personally i follow the caveman diet.. which does not have any starch.. or processed foods. only fruits, vegs, proteins and healthy fats.. basically way everything is in its natural state..

miketyson789
10-28-08, 12:26 pm
so should i cycle the keto diet?
i wanted to use it year round to stay lean,
i take animal pak every morning so i dunno if i really need the fruit for vitatmins.
and i eat plenty of fruits and veggies when i carb up on the weekends

GJN5002
10-28-08, 12:41 pm
so should i cycle the keto diet?
i wanted to use it year round to stay lean,
i take animal pak every morning so i dunno if i really need the fruit for vitatmins.
and i eat plenty of fruits and veggies when i carb up on the weekends

You dont carb up on keto. Sounds more like youre doing anabolic diet. Low carb diet are effective for losing fat but not year round for gaining size. Maybe look into carb cycling. Or just eat clean and include cardio during the week to keep lean. If you start packing on fat alter you rdiet or do a 2-3 week cut to get your bf back down.

miketyson789
10-28-08, 12:46 pm
i thought on keto ur supposed to eat carbs every 5 days,
guess im not doing keto im carb cycling or something, but so far its been working ive lost most my fat. i dont plan on gaining any more muscle i just want to stay lean and maintain the muscle i have, so thats why im doing low carb year round

GJN5002
10-28-08, 12:54 pm
if something is working for you keep on doing it. If you wanna change your plan do your research first. What you are doing sounds like the anabolic diet. HolaBola is running a post on bodyspace of his anabolic diet,you can check that out or read dr DiPasquales books.

miketyson789
10-29-08, 12:22 am
ya i did some reading and turns out i am doing an anabolic diet, lol anyways it works good
well for me at least. im never hungry, i still eat wat i want on the weekends, and ive been losing bodyfat and maintianing size:)

sanga
10-29-08, 4:27 am
I am on keto and the only carbs I eat are that which occur naturally in Almonds and natural peanut butter, these don`t count nor do the carbs I eat from spinach or broccoli.

I have a cheat meal every sunday night, just the 1 meal, no more, thats it, simple and extremely effective, I`ve dropped over 30lbs doing it this way.